Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Failure to Launch 2019.01.27

• Start Topic

Vanessa experiences life as a Snowden; the McGees tell their sons they want to seek a sister wife; the Winders go out in public as a trio for the first time; the Alldredges wonder if their potential sister wife, Jennifer, will show up on their date.

I don’t understand why polygamists stay in a state that doesn’t accept them. Like, dudes....move to a nice blue state where nobody gives a shit what you do.  Take your wives out.   No one cares.  Also, that was the saddest birthday party I have ever seen.

• Love 18

Methinks Vanessa needs a place to stay!

I'm just not getting sincere pliggy vibes from her but hey I guess we really don't get sincere vibes from any of the Snowdens. The way she was soooooo concerned about a cheeseburger had me just tickled pink. "I hope there's wiggle room for me to have the occasional burger. We'll see....it'll be interesting, we'll have to see." My first thought was she will be sneaking off to McDonald's in between loads of laundry and diaper changes. My second thought was she and Dmitri will be on a date tearing into some steaks as they giggle in delight with their shit eating grins while bonding over their secret beef consumption. Fast forward to the previews of next week 😂

I think Vanessa should have held out a bit on the filet if she really wants a spot on team Bindi. Although Dmitri may put up with it just to hit that, Ashley needs any excuse. Vanessa doesn't quite get it as evidenced by her "I'm only really dating Dmitri" statement. I wasn't entirely clear if Ashley wants to clear ALL the bumping and grinding sessions or just the first one.

Edited by SlutAssBitchAssHor
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, SlutAssBitchAssHor said:

Methinks Vanessa needs a place to stay!

I'm just not getting sincere pliggy vibes from her but hey I guess we really don't get sincere vibes from any of the Snowdens. The way she was soooooo concerned about a cheeseburger had me just tickled pink. "I hope there's wiggle room for me to have the occasional burger. We'll see....it'll be interesting, we'll have to see." My first thought was she will be sneaking off to McDonald's in between loads of laundry and diaper changes. My second thought was she and Dmitri will be on a date tearing into some steaks as they giggle in delight with their shit eating grins while bonding over their secret beef consumption. Fast forward to the previews of next week 😂

I think Vanessa should have held out a bit on the filet if she really wants a spot on team Bindi. Although Dmitri may put up with it just to hit that, Ashley needs any excuse. Vanessa doesn't quite get it as evidenced by her "I'm only really dating Dmitri" statement. I wasn't entirely clear if Ashley wants to clear ALL the bumping and grinding sessions or just the first one.

Oh my gawd, can you imagine if Dimitri ATE beef/pork/any meat - (besides Vanessa, that is.  He said they wouldn't do the naughty!)  They come home and Ashley is sitting on the couch and says, "Did you eat beef or pork?"  And Dimitri gets that smirk that he does and says, "Yes, beef and I did get intimate.  I had a burger".      Next scene we see Ashley and Dimitri and Vanessa in a restaurant and Ashley says, "Do you have something to tell me?"   And Vanessa is actually totally clueless as to what Ashley wants.  "HUH"???   And :::::GONG:::::  Contestant number 3 is out the door!   Back to searching the net!

As for the bolded part - I got the impression that ALL sex must be cleared with Ashley first.   Maybe Dimitri is supposed to go to Vanessa if Ashley is having her period or is sick with the flu or something.    I seriously think Ashley wants some action with Vanessa.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Oh my gawd, can you imagine if Dimitri ATE beef/pork/any meat - (besides Vanessa, that is.  He said they wouldn't do the naughty!)  They come home and Ashley is sitting on the couch and says, "Did you eat beef or pork?"  And Dimitri gets that smirk that he does and says, "Yes, beef and I did get intimate.  I had a burger".      Next scene we see Ashley and Dimitri and Vanessa in a restaurant and Ashley says, "Do you have something to tell me?"   And Vanessa is actually totally clueless as to what Ashley wants.  "HUH"???   And :::::GONG:::::  Contestant number 3 is out the door!   Back to searching the net!

As for the bolded part - I got the impression that ALL sex must be cleared with Ashley first.   Maybe Dimitri is supposed to go to Vanessa if Ashley is having her period or is sick with the flu or something.    I seriously think Ashley wants some action with Vanessa.

"I did get intimate....with a flank steak"  That would be priceless and I cant wait for next week. I really feel like they are draggggging the Snowden storyline out way too far.

And

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought Ashley wanted a check in every. single. time. Give me a break.

Edited by SlutAssBitchAssHor
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, SlutAssBitchAssHor said:

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought Ashley wanted a check in every. single. time. Give me a break.

It's really weird because Ashley and Dimitri did not get married BECAUSE they wanted all wives to be equal.  (Their words.)  And yet - it is painfully clear who will be numero uno and calling all of the shots in this polygamy relationship!   All equal?  But you will not eat meat because WE don't eat meat.  You will not have sex with Dimitri unless *I say you can have sex. You will not have personal time in the bathroom because I will barge in and see what you are doing.  (Ok, that last one is debatable. It only happened once on camera so far.)   So - where does the equal part come into play??  I definitely do not see this happening ANY time in the relationship.  Wife 2 and 3 and however many will be just that.

Seriously - I am anxiously awaiting the day they put the bindi (red dot) on Vanessa's forehead!!

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 13

I think I'm getting jaded by too much reality tv in my old age, but this whole show is starting to stink of fakery.

Who exactly did that young group think they were "going public" in front of by having a birthday party at the playground?  Were they planning to stand at the top of the slide and make an announcement?  Three adults and a child at a playground eating cake doesn't exactly "expose" your lifestyle. 

I find the Aldredges likable and believe that they are doing their thing on their ranch in South Dakota.  I don't know what they were up to last season but I think this year they're just trying to get a TLC sponsored vacation to Niagara Falls.

Snowdens are gross but they have a lovely house.  I think this pretending to want a "sister wife" gets them on tv AND perpetuates the special snowflake image they have of themselves.  I guess "open marriage" no longer carries that much cachet.

And I've already said I think the 4th family needs $$ to buy a new house.

• Love 11

I just feel so sorry for all of the kids involved in this situation. It's sooooooooo weird. I also feel sorry for these people who are doing something that causes them suffering because they think it's what Jesu wants. So sad for them. I just want to scream NEWSFLASH: G-d doesn't want you guys to do this. Nobody wants this. It's not good. You're not prophets.  You're people. Just be normal. Life is hard enough.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, b2H said:

Vanessa will run for the nearest door quite soon, I’ll wager.

She's in over her head, that's for sure. I can't get the image out of my head of  her pounding the table in anticipation of that damn meat. I mean the beef, not Dmitri.....or is it??? Tune in next week to find out!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, SlutAssBitchAssHor said:

She's in over her head, that's for sure. I can't get the image out of my head of  her pounding the table in anticipation of that damn meat. I mean the beef, not Dmitri.....or is it??? Tune in next week to find out!

Actually, two weeks, due to the Super Bowl.

Which leads me to why in hell is Bravo holding new eps of the Sunday shows due to the SB?  Not everyone watches the game.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, b2H said:

Which leads me to why in hell is Bravo holding new eps of the Sunday shows due to the SB?  Not everyone watches the game.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with advertising revenues.  Super Bowl commercials cost over FIVE MILLION EACH!  That's some crazy shit.  Lots of people don't care about the game - but they WILL tune in for the half-time show or the commercials.  I know quite a few people who just look forward to the commercials.  Then you have TLC - whose viewer numbers will go down but must still be factored into the grand total - and the execs don't care if the Super Bowl was on or not - so it's easier just to wait until the next week.

• Love 3

At the sad, sad party there was a round cooler that was steaming like a witch's cauldron. The lid was on but smoke was oozing out like it was full of dry ice. Hot cocoa? Ice cream? That Pinterest method of cooking hot dogs with a cooler and boiling water? We may never know. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, princelina said:

I think I'm getting jaded by too much reality tv in my old age, but this whole show is starting to stink of fakery.

Who exactly did that young group think they were "going public" in front of by having a birthday party at the playground?  Were they planning to stand at the top of the slide and make an announcement?  Three adults and a child at a playground eating cake doesn't exactly "expose" your lifestyle. 

I find the Aldredges likable and believe that they are doing their thing on their ranch in South Dakota.  I don't know what they were up to last season but I think this year they're just trying to get a TLC sponsored vacation to Niagara Falls.

Snowdens are gross but they have a lovely house.  I think this pretending to want a "sister wife" gets them on tv AND perpetuates the special snowflake image they have of themselves.  I guess "open marriage" no longer carries that much cachet.

And I've already said I think the 4th family needs $$ to buy a new house.

Agreed. 

The young couple (trio?) stink of just wanting to be on tv.  What a pathetic party. I feel bad for the kid.  And from the previews, with them sashaying around town tooting “look at me and my two wives”s, just desperate.  Just live your life, dude.  

‘The McGee father is an asshole for putting his kids on the spot like that.  And for making it confusing for me to refer to Aldredge potential wife # 3 as tits McGee.  

‘Did we really just spend an hour watching them waiting to meet Fanny. Funbags?

My take on the Snowden’s: she knows there’s no way she keeps him from sleeping around.  So this arrangement at least gives her a chance to vet his side-pieces.  And possibly get some free daycare.  If she works out, will Vanessa have to wear a dot on her head too?

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Alapaki said:

If she works out, will Vanessa have to wear a dot on her head too?

She absolutely WILL!  I just shake my head and laugh at Ashley and her pretentious ways.  I also believe it almost borders on being disrespectful to take one aspect of a group's religious beliefs just because it makes you and your kids stand out.  There is no other reason for her to do this, as she isn't Hindu.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 8

I feel for the McGee boys, especially the oldest one. The youngest one said, "If that's what you're called to do, than that's what you're call to do." Either he's going along with it, or his parents hammered it into his head. I'll assume the latter. I truly felt for the oldest boy because he seemed very uncomfortable even talking about it. I could swear that there were times that he gave his father the side-eye when they were having their "heart to heart." And based on the way that "Papa McGee" answered his son's question, it's obvious that he has sex on the brain.

Okay, the Winders. Something about their actions reads desperate. First it was the birthday party. They talk about the park being empty and them talk about it being Sunday. If they are in a heavily Mormon populated community, then I would imagine that nobody would be in the parks because Mormons will most likely be at church, and then hanging out at home or going to church events afterwards. Them taking on recreation openly on a Sunday is pretty rare, but I'm just going by what I've seen because I am a former Mormon. You'd think that the Winder's would know this being former (Mainstream) Mormons themselves.

Maybe they should just move to a blue state or a liberal area. Heck, they should move to San Francisco. It's a pretty liberal city. The Winder husband can stand in the middle of Duboce Park with his wives, go full-on Kody Brown mode - banging his chest and shouting out "WE'RE POLYGAMISTS" and no one, and I mean NO ONE will give a shit! But I think they just want the attention. They may even expect to be persecuted. Shall he call him Kody 2.0? Heck, there are some similarities. They're both former (Mainstream) Mormons that converted into Fundamentalism, and their first two wives are both former Mormons. (In an episode a few seasons ago, Meri did mention that her parents were LDS, but converted to Fundamentalism. I don't know if Meri was a baby at that time, or a young girl). 

The Snowdens + Vanessa. I think we should take a shot every time someone in that family says "Sister/Sisterhood" or when they bring up "The Jocelyn Situation." The way Ashley carried herself made it clear that no one was f**king that night! I do wonder if Dimitri will devour a piece a beef with his shit-eating grin. That could be their little secret. I hope Vanessa carries Orbitz gum or Listerine breath strips.

Maybe if Vanessa officially joins the family, she and Dimitri can sneak off to have rendezvous at a burger joint. 

Dimitri stating that he was tinging when Vanessa came down the stairs. Yeah, I'm sure he was tingling. 

The Alldredges' scenes seemed to drag on and on. They arrive at Niagara Falls. Check into their hotel room. Go to the park, and spends minutes on "Will she show up or won't she?" 

Till next episode everybody!

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 7

The thing I don’t understand is all the talk about being arrested for proclaiming they are poligamists.  What’s the difference between them and someone who has an affair/mistress/side piece on the side??  

The so called 2nd, 3rd etc marriage is not even legal nor recognized by the state - so how are they going to get into trouble?

I get  the issue when underage girls are involved or when there is fraud with public assistance etc etc but all of these people are adults of legal age just basically sleeping in a different bed every night.  

Not something I’d put up with but eh to each their own 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Love 4
1 hour ago, KeeperOfTheIce said:

The thing I don’t understand is all the talk about being arrested for proclaiming they are poligamists.  What’s the difference between them and someone who has an affair/mistress/side piece on the side??  

The so called 2nd, 3rd etc marriage is not even legal nor recognized by the state - so how are they going to get into trouble?

I get  the issue when underage girls are involved or when there is fraud with public assistance etc etc but all of these people are adults of legal age just basically sleeping in a different bed every night.  

For some reason CALLING them a wife is illegal.  It makes no sense.  But I have heard that quite a large number of Fundamentalist Mormon Polygamist families are on welfare - was wondering if that could be why it's illegal?  That still doesn't make sense...  but if other states don't give a flying fig if people are polygamists or not, why is Utah so touchy about it?

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 1

If Utah has a huge number of welfare recipients (I don't know that they do, but if?) I can see why they'd want polygamists to leave their state.  Lots of technically single mothers with a large number of kids.  Hence the Alldredges going to South Dakota, and Kootie and the SW Gang leaving for Nevada.  Of course, the latter now relocated to Arizona, and inquiring minds speculate as to why they did.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Alapaki said:

The young couple (trio?) stink of just wanting to be on tv.  What a pathetic party. I feel bad for the kid.  And from the previews, with them sashaying around town tooting “look at me and my two wives”s, just desperate.  Just live your life, dude.  

‘The McGee father is an asshole for putting his kids on the spot like that.  And for making it confusing for me to refer to Aldredge potential wife # 3 as tits McGee.  

‘Did we really just spend an hour watching them waiting to meet Fanny. Funbags?

My take on the Snowden’s: she knows there’s no way she keeps him from sleeping around.  So this arrangement at least gives her a chance to vet his side-pieces.  And possibly get some free daycare.  If she works out, will Vanessa have to wear a dot on her head too?

Bahaha! Can't wait to find out what this chick's deal is, because it seems that based on the previews she is not being honest with the Aldredges. Just another one looking for her 15 minutes of fame?

Agree about the Snowdens - Ashley knows Dmitri can't keep his rocket in his pocket, so she at least wants to have some control over the situation - and maybe reap some personal benefits from the arrangement, in whatever forms they happen to take!

The problem with the Winders trying to "come out" publicly as some sort of political statement is that it's already been done, and arguably better, by Kody and the Browns and even more importantly by Joe Darger, who has been out and fighting on the front lines for plyg rights for years. As a viewer, it all has a "been there, saw that" feel to it. Watching a man walking around holding hands with two women while the townsfolk shoot them dirty looks is not must-see tv.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

As a viewer, it all has a "been there, saw that" feel to it. Watching a man walking around holding hands with two women while the townsfolk shoot them dirty looks is not must-see tv.

Stay tuned for “My 600-lb Sister Wives”.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, KeeperOfTheIce said:

My understanding is that in Utah in order to be prosecuted for Polygamy someone has to “purport” to have a second wife AND live with them.  This is a relaxation of a prior version of the law that only required “purporting” OR cohabitation.  So what the Winders are doing is technically completely legal unless they all move in together.

Even then, however, the State Attorney has declared that they will really only prosecute if there is some other associated crime, like fraud or human trafficking or child abuse.  

So, legally, Utah is basically a “don’t ask don’t tell” State.

• Love 5

I don’t see any real chemistry between Vanessa and the Snowdens. When Vanessa speaks, it sounds like she’s telling them what she thinks they want to hear. Dimitri had way more chemistry with Jocelyn. And Vanessa had more chemistry with that steak than with Dimitri. 

Every time I hear that Winder dude talk I swear he sounds like Kermit the frog. He seems “slow.”  Maybe too much in-breeding. Both his wives are attractive and I can’t for the life of me understand what they see in that dweeb. 

The McGee husband is just a fat, gross perv. Where does he expect the other woman to sleep in that camper?  Good luck, buddy. 

The Alldreges are the most normal of the families, but it’s pretty obvious that he’s the one who picked this latest bimbo. I can think of at least 2 glaring reasons ;)

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Phoebe70 said:

I don’t see any real chemistry between Vanessa and the Snowdens. When Vanessa speaks, it sounds like she’s telling them what she thinks they want to hear. Dimitri had way more chemistry with Jocelyn. And Vanessa had more chemistry with that steak than with Dimitri. 

Every time I hear that Winder dude talk I swear he sounds like Kermit the frog. He seems “slow.”  Maybe too much in-breeding. Both his wives are attractive and I can’t for the life of me understand what they see in that dweeb. 

The McGee husband is just a fat, gross perv. Where does he expect the other woman to sleep in that camper?  Good luck, buddy. 

The Alldreges are the most normal of the families, but it’s pretty obvious that he’s the one who picked this latest bimbo. I can think of at least 2 glaring reasons ;)

I agree with this entire post!  Winder dude seems slow - but as pretty as the wives are, they seem equally slow.   I think it's good matches - except for the fact that I don't know anyone who believes wife # 1 is really on board with polygamy.  Going to the park on a Sunday in a Mormon town to introduce wifey #2 is just stupid.  Not to mention the awful, sad third birthday party with no little friends that they threw for their daughter.  Well.... maybe they had another birthday party on a different day and this one was the one for the cameras.  We can only hope.

The McGees weren't intending on bringing the new wife into the trailer (as funny as that would be - I would enjoy seeing that!) - they were waiting for her to come along so they could pick out a house together.  But in the next episode, (? Or at least a future one) they are going to go ahead and buy the house now.  I've seen the new prospective wife in previews, and she actually seemed like a great fit for this family (I will let you interpret that however you wish!) but the first wife throws a fit and I don't know who wins the battle - horny hub or jealous first.

Jeff Alldredge TOTALLY picked out wife #4.  She's going to get her 15 minutes and be out that door!  Anyone with half a brain cell could see that it's not going to work.  Just the way she does those stupid seductive poses (like a 17 year old) for social media should be their first clue.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I feel for the McGee boys, especially the oldest one. The youngest one said, "If that's what you're called to do, than that's what you're call to do." Either he's going along with it, or his parents hammered it into his head. I'll assume the latter. I truly felt for the oldest boy because he seemed very uncomfortable even talking about it. I could swear that there were times that he gave his father the side-eye when they were having their "heart to heart." And based on the way that "Papa McGee" answered his son's question, it's obvious that he has sex on the brain.

1 hour ago, Phoebe70 said:

Ha I forgot about that!  The kid says "How is this even going to work?" meaning "Where will we stash her?  How will this affect me?"  and Pervy Dad thinks the kid wants to know how he's going to get action from two ladies.  Sheesh.

• Love 6

I agree with this entire post!  Winder dude seems slow - but as pretty as the wives are, they seem equally slow.   I think it's good matches - except for the fact that I don't know anyone who believes wife # 1 is really on board with polygamy.  Going to the park on a Sunday in a Mormon town to introduce wifey #2 is just stupid.  Not to mention the awful, sad third birthday party with no little friends that they threw for their daughter.  Well.... maybe they had another birthday party on a different day and this one was the one for the cameras.  We can only hope.

The McGees weren't intending on bringing the new wife into the trailer (as funny as that would be - I would enjoy seeing that!) - they were waiting for her to come along so they could pick out a house together.  But in the next episode, (? Or at least a future one) they are going to go ahead and buy the house now.  I've seen the new prospective wife in previews, and she actually seemed like a great fit for this family (I will let you interpret that however you wish!) but the first wife throws a fit and I don't know who wins the battle - horny hub or jealous first.

Jeff Alldredge TOTALLY picked out wife #4.  She's going to get her 15 minutes and be out that door!  Anyone with half a brain cell could see that it's not going to work.  Just the way she does those stupid seductive poses (like a 17 year old) for social media should be their first clue.

I agree, too.  Dear Jeff A. wants the big tits, above all else.  I think the wives just wanted a TLC-funded trip to Niagara Falls, and they won't agree to take BT as a sister wife.  Isn't one of their rules that the wives have to approve any further wives?  Nope, not happening IMO.

• Love 2
On 1/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, KeeperOfTheIce said:

Due to Utah’s history with polygamy/plural marriage they have specific laws on the books prohibiting co-habitation and proporting to be married etc. These laws haven’t been struck down, and haven’t been successful challenged as civil rights cases- yet.

Think about it; Lawrence vs Texas was only decided in 2003- of course there were many same sex couples living lives and being “out” before then, but “sodomy” was still illegal, and you could face criminal punishment (although most people didn't). Same principles.

I too would like to see polygamy decriminalized full stop- for the same reason sodomy laws were taken off the books. The law should not be able to tell adults with their full mental facilities intact whom they can/cannot live with or what they can call each other- all of the other issues they prosecute polygamists for (i.e. child abuse, welfare fraud etc) are STILL CRIMES so please punish people for that, no need to throw a polygamy charge in as well. That's what I think these couples are getting at, they want to be charged to be able to challenge the law. 

• Love 5

Do the McGees really count as polygamists given that they've never had a second wife or even met with a candidate?  The Snowdens also only have one wife, but at least they've interviewed a couple of women.  Seems like the McGees are more "we're thinking about giving polygamy a shot."

9 hours ago, yankeefan said:

Do the McGees really count as polygamists given that they've never had a second wife or even met with a candidate?  The Snowdens also only have one wife, but at least they've interviewed a couple of women.  Seems like the McGees are more "we're thinking about giving polygamy a shot."

Well this isn't the McGee's first rodeo.  They had a sister wife lined up and the wife couldn't handle it, so they let it go for awhile.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, b2H said:

That's definitely odd.  I wouldn't imagine there'd be a HUGE crossover between the Bravo audience and NFL audience...

But..this show isn't on Bravo, right?  Isn't it on TLC or Lifetime or something?  Either way, not a huge crossover audience with the NFL.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, Kyanight said:

I'm pretty sure it has to do with advertising revenues.  Super Bowl commercials cost over FIVE MILLION EACH!  That's some crazy shit.  Lots of people don't care about the game - but they WILL tune in for the half-time show or the commercials.  I know quite a few people who just look forward to the commercials.  Then you have TLC - whose viewer numbers will go down but must still be factored into the grand total - and the execs don't care if the Super Bowl was on or not - so it's easier just to wait until the next week.

Who watches this show live, tho?  Don't most people DVR it?  It's not like back in the day where you had to actually CHOOSE which show you were going to watch based on when it was on TV.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lezlers said:

That's definitely odd.  I wouldn't imagine there'd be a HUGE crossover between the Bravo audience and NFL audience...

But..this show isn't on Bravo, right?  Isn't it on TLC or Lifetime or something?  Either way, not a huge crossover audience with the NFL.

Who watches this show live, tho?  Don't most people DVR it?  It's not like back in the day where you had to actually CHOOSE which show you were going to watch based on when it was on TV.

I watch it live, lol.   But you have a good point - most people aren't stuck in the stone age, like me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I watch it live, lol.   But you have a good point - most people aren't stuck in the stone age, like me.

LOL! I DVR everything so I'm always surprised that people don't do the same thing, but you aren't alone.

Our cable bill is ridiculous but because my husband and I both work nights, DVRing our shows is almost a must. We could always watch On Demand, but many shows aren't available for very long and you often can't FF through commercials. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Kyanight said:

For some reason CALLING them a wife is illegal.  It makes no sense.  But I have heard that quite a large number of Fundamentalist Mormon Polygamist families are on welfare - was wondering if that could be why it's illegal?  That still doesn't make sense...  but if other states don't give a flying fig if people are polygamists or not, why is Utah so touchy about it?

I think the issue is twofold: making it illegal to purport yourself as married in public is meant to dissuade people from the practice of polygamy.  The Snowdens are the (insufferable) exception, the vast majority of polygamists do it for religious reasons.  Therefore, they're not really going to be willing to call the other wives "girlfriends" or something else.  Also, I believe the statute prohibits cohabitating as a family, also meant to dissuade polygamy.  Bigamy is illegal already, you can't legally be married to more than one person so in order to criminalize the act of polygamy you have to go after what it is they're actually doing: living together as a family.   I think the reason it's outlawed is to prevent the abuse of children and welfare fraud.   At least those are the reasons the legislators responsible for the bills are putting forth as their justification.  I do believe a number of polygamous families (the Browns included, before their show) are on public assistance.  I know Christine Brown and I believe Jenelle Brown as well, were both on public assistance while being "married" to Cody.   So it does go beyond a "to each their own" type of situation.  I don't believe anyone is actually prosecuted for polygamy, however.  They're usually prosecuted for welfare fraud, child abuse, ect. 

The second issue is Utah being so "touchy" about it.   For starters, I believe (and I have no actual data to support this) a large portion of polygamists are located in Utah.  Utah is a hub for Mormonism and polygamy is derived from that religion.  Therefore, there is a disproportionate amount of polygamists located in Utah.  Hence the need for laws on the books in that state.  Secondly, I don't believe Utah is the only state that has outlawed polygamy.  It's just often featured because, circling back to my first point, there are quite a few polygamists that reside there.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Phoebe70 said:

I thought I was the only one who constantly visualized Kermit whenever that guy opens his mouth!

19 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

LOL! I DVR everything so I'm always surprised that people don't do the same thing, but you aren't alone.

Our cable bill is ridiculous but because my husband and I both work nights, DVRing our shows is almost a must. We could always watch On Demand, but many shows aren't available for very long and you often can't FF through commercials. 

So with the on demand, the day after it airs you can't ff through commercials.  After that first day, you can.   I learned that the hard way.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, lezlers said:

I thought I was the only one who constantly visualized Kermit whenever that guy opens his mouth!

So with the on demand, the day after it airs you can't ff through commercials.  After that first day, you can.   I learned that the hard way.

Ahh, thanks for the tip!

30 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

can somebody please tell me what's the deal with the Snowdens' forehead dots.  

Ashley said on camera that it is her "third eye", but everybody and their dog knows that she does this (and with her kids) to draw attention to herself.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, lezlers said:

I think the issue is twofold: making it illegal to purport yourself as married in public is meant to dissuade people from the practice of polygamy.  The Snowdens are the (insufferable) exception, the vast majority of polygamists do it for religious reasons.  Therefore, they're not really going to be willing to call the other wives "girlfriends" or something else.  Also, I believe the statute prohibits cohabitating as a family, also meant to dissuade polygamy.  Bigamy is illegal already, you can't legally be married to more than one person so in order to criminalize the act of polygamy you have to go after what it is they're actually doing: living together as a family.   I think the reason it's outlawed is to prevent the abuse of children and welfare fraud.   At least those are the reasons the legislators responsible for the bills are putting forth as their justification.  I do believe a number of polygamous families (the Browns included, before their show) are on public assistance.  I know Christine Brown and I believe Jenelle Brown as well, were both on public assistance while being "married" to Cody.   So it does go beyond a "to each their own" type of situation.  I don't believe anyone is actually prosecuted for polygamy, however.  They're usually prosecuted for welfare fraud, child abuse, ect. 

The second issue is Utah being so "touchy" about it.   For starters, I believe (and I have no actual data to support this) a large portion of polygamists are located in Utah.  Utah is a hub for Mormonism and polygamy is derived from that religion.  Therefore, there is a disproportionate amount of polygamists located in Utah.  Hence the need for laws on the books in that state.  Secondly, I don't believe Utah is the only state that has outlawed polygamy.  It's just often featured because, circling back to my first point, there are quite a few polygamists that reside there.

Utah had to add those laws to its books to be granted statehood- BECAUSE of their history with polygamy. 

• Love 7

Ashley said on camera that it is her "third eye", but everybody and their dog knows that she does this (and with her kids) to draw attention to herself.

LOL.  Thank you.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:45 AM, giaNtsandYankees said:

The youngest one said, "If that's what you're called to do, than that's what you're call to do." Either he's going along with it, or his parents hammered it into his head.

I don't care for this show so watched only minutes of it, but I did catch that scene.  Did you see the look of hopeful satisfaction he had when he said it.  He said it SPECIFICALLY to get praise from his parents.  Plus, he is much too young for the "if you're called to do it" perspective.  It is all his parents doing.  

• Love 5
22 hours ago, lezlers said:

do believe a number of polygamous families (the Browns included, before their show) are on public assistance.  I know Christine Brown and I believe Jenelle Brown as well, were both on public assistance while being "married" to Cody.   So it does go beyond a "to each their own" type of situation.  

So it's more than just "tolerating" the asshole?  I don't watch the show, but have you seen the commercial where he's all riled up, looking even uglier than usual with his gross hair in a ponytail, going "Send me to jail or tolerate me!"  I'd watch in a heartbeat if a policeman would go up and say, "I find you intolerable, so you'll have to come with me."

• Love 5
On 1/28/2019 at 10:21 PM, b2H said:

Dammit that silly little game is interfering with my trash tv schedule!! 

• Love 6

The Winders - Colton and Tami were talking after they got married and wonder of wonders, just happened to make the wonderful and amazing discovery they both believe in polygamy!!  ((eye roll))  Let's try what I think is the more realistic version, which is that Colton sprung his thoughts about polygamy on Tami after he'd already put a ring on it and trying to be the perfect little submissive wifey, she pretended to believe in it as well.  Next thing she knows this has all gone way further than she thought when she was being Miss Agreeable and, well, fuck, now there's a Sophie sitting in her living room playing with her kid and doing her husband.   And make no mistake, Tami is more than okay with the family not being public and with Sophie being the "closet wife."  Because, Tami hates polygamy, Tami hates Sophie (maybe or maybe not personally, but at minimum hates that she exists, period) ,and Tami will hate each and every additional wife.  This is a most definitely a happily ever after story in the making..... (sarcasm intended).

The Snowdens - Vanessa saw them on the tee vee last season, contacted them on social media, and has managed so far to BS charm Ashley enough that now she gets to be on tee vee too to date the Snowdens!  My guess is Vanessa is just your "basic bitch" who thought this "lifestyle" looks cool, and being on a tv show looks cool, and maybe now she'll be cool by association.  Unfortunately, I have a very (very) strong suspicion that however one thinks it might work out in theory, the reality of being a sister wife to Family Snowden is going to SUCK.  Bad.  Especially when Ashley lets it drop that not only is she planning to control what you eat, but when you're "allowed" to have sex with her baby daddy.

The Alldredges - I cannot wrap my head around in what world they think Jennifer is going to fit into their lives.  Let's take a girl from upstate NY, who's part time bar tender/part time tattoo artist, who likes to take trashy pics and post them online, and let's put her in the middle of freaking NOWHERE with a ton of kids in a conservative fundie Mormon family.  That sounds like a recipe for disaster life-long marital and sister wife bliss!  Having said that, however, the Alldredges are a cohesive, seemingly generally happy and content, functioning family unit, in sharp contrast to most families we see on these shows.  At least, they are now that the first wife left.  (I'd be interested to know what the dynamic was like when she was still part of the family).  In any case, while I don't get a BFF vibe from them, I definitely sense that Vanessa and Sharis more than just tolerate each other.  There seems to be some genuine warmness and caring there, and if you're going to stay in that lifestyle, good for them (and most especially their kids) that they can do it without without having their spirits/souls crushed.

The McGees - I still have ZERO clue why Ms. McGee decided to instigate all this sister wife crap.  Not at all buying that she became convicted her husband should screw other women from reading some Scripture before bed until/unless she expounds quite a bit.  Because, to be clear, no woman ever wants her guy falling in love with other women, nevetheless banging them, unless she is convinced to her core there is a damn good reason for it.  And as of now, I'm not really at all clear as to what her actual reason is, period, damn good or otherwise.  And the older son is 100% not effing amused.  Not even a little bit.  Funny how kids have a way of seeing through the BS to the heart of what's going on, and what appears to be going on is a young teenage boy watching his dad break his mom's heart.  And for that I have no snark, because that's just really sad.

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 10
19 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

At least, they are now that the first wife left.  (I'd be interested to know what the dynamic was like when she was still part of the family).

I could be wrong, but I've heard rumours that Jeff and Cynthia "Cindy" Alldredge were Mainstream Mormons until Jeff "felt the calling" to live plural marriage. They would split up sometime after that. That's just what I heard. 

Looking at her Facebook page (if I found the right one - in the search results, there's only  one Cynthia Alldredge in Utah, where the Alldredges are from), she is identifying as a Mainstream Mormon. 

It seems tricky, because I've read that she was good friends with Christine Brown, and that some of her children had married into polygamy, one of them is married to a Jessop (a very popular and prominent fundie surname), while two of them are married to a sibling of Mitch Thompson, husband to Aspen Brown (Thompson). But then again, Janelle was Mainstream LDS when she befriended Kody and Meri. So I guess in some cases Mainstream Mormons do become friends with Fundamentalist Mormons. You'd think they wouldn't since the LDS leadership seems to speak so strongly against the polygamists at times. Most likely because they don't want to be associated with them, or with what was seen on the news with the 2008 raid at the FLDS's ranch. But that's probably overthinking on my part. 

Love your commentary by the way!

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
Sloppy writing.
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

The Winders - Colton and Tami were talking after they got married and wonder of wonders, just happened to make the wonderful and amazing discovery they both believe in polygamy!!  ((eye roll))  Let's try what I think is the more realistic version, which is that Colton sprung his thoughts about polygamy on Tami after he'd already put a ring on it and trying to be the perfect little submissive wifey, she pretended to believe in it as well.  Next thing she knows this has all gone way further than she thought when she was being Miss Agreeable and, well, fuck, now there's a Sophie sitting in her living room playing with her kid and doing her husband.   And make no mistake, Tami is more than okay with the family not being public and with Sophie being the "closet wife."  Because, Tami hates polygamy, Tami hates Sophie (maybe or maybe not personally, but at minimum hates that she exists, period) ,and Tami will hate each and every additional wife.  This is a most definitely a happily ever after story in the making..... (sarcasm intended).

Oh yes, Tami's resentment is palpable. She's trying to "keep sweet", but she's seething. So, she basically never gets any alone time with her fatuous, stupid looking husband any more? Either he's banging Sophie at her house, or he's parading Sophie around the house he shares with Tami and their daughter. What is the benefit to Tami? She was quick to announce "I am  the First Wife". That's a piss poor return for all the anguish she's enduring. I would like to wipe that smirk off Colton's face, preferably with a two by four.

Papa McGee better get his shit together. His wife seems devoted to him and his kids are nice, smart boys. His quest for "more luuuuuv!" is going to screw them all up. Has he been so traumatized by the fire that he is unable to function in the world? He seems so helpless.

• Love 5