Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Failure to Launch 2019.01.27

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Papa McGee better get his shit together. His wife seems devoted to him and his kids are nice, smart boys. His quest for "more luuuuuv!" is going to screw them all up. Has he been so traumatized by the fire that he is unable to function in the world? He seems so helpless.

Didn't they say that it was the WIFE that felt compelled to this lifestyle and she had to convince HIM to get on board?  And they were doing this all before the fire.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Oh yes, Tami's resentment is palpable. She's trying to "keep sweet", but she's seething. So, she basically never gets any alone time with her fatuous, stupid looking husband any more? Either he's banging Sophie at her house, or he's parading Sophie around the house he shares with Tami and their daughter. What is the benefit to Tami? She was quick to announce "I am  the First Wife". That's a piss poor return for all the anguish she's enduring. I would like to wipe that smirk off Colton's face, preferably with a two by four.

Papa McGee better get his shit together. His wife seems devoted to him and his kids are nice, smart boys. His quest for "more luuuuuv!" is going to screw them all up. Has he been so traumatized by the fire that he is unable to function in the world? He seems so helpless.

HA HA HA HA HA on the bolded part!   I am going to make an assumption based on what little I have seen, not knowing either woman in real life:  BOTH ladies seem the type that literally MUST have a husband.  Even a part of a husband is better than none.    And they both want Kermit.

McGee is a horn dog - just like Dimitri.  They are Oreo cookies of each other.  This is all about the bang.   He doesn't seem helpless at all to me, he seems selfish and maybe a little ignorant.  On next week's previews they show him choosing chickypoos on the internet and flirting with them while his wife is sitting right there - and he's grinning from ear to ear most likely with a hard-on.  But remember - they are doing this for RELIGIOUS reasons!  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Adira said:

Didn't they say that it was the WIFE that felt compelled to this lifestyle and she had to convince HIM to get on board?  And they were doing this all before the fire.

Yes.... but......  I'm not sure I believe that story.  It definitely could be how it happened, but that wife and even the oldest son do NOT seem very enthusiastic.  

• Love 7

I said it last year and I still maintain the Snowdens see themselves as the vanguard of a new cultural movement. She spouts off about how polygamy is the norm in many parts of Africa, "building a tribe" with sister wives to help each other. I think they see themselves as the consultants, authors to guidebooks, motivational speakers, etc for this new black polygamy. The only problem with their little plan is that they've been looking for a sister wives for years and by their own admission have gone through many women, lived with only one for a few years, the rest flashes in pans.  So they've already proven polygamy doesn't work well  for a large number of devotees in an educated society. It often involves very young, inexperienced women and older men. Many women leave the lifestyle as they get older and wiser. Polygamy works in poor societies where survival is key, children often don't live long and much help is needed just to source food and shelter. It's a patriarchal society which generally only works well when the women are uneducated OR there is a strong religious belief. I think the Snowden's are at the vanguard of a losing proposition unless they're going to  sell their system in 3rd world countries. 

• Love 10
On 1/29/2019 at 3:11 PM, xwordfanatik said:

If Utah has a huge number of welfare recipients (I don't know that they do, but if?) I can see why they'd want polygamists to leave their state.  Lots of technically single mothers with a large number of kids.  Hence the Alldredges going to South Dakota, and Kootie and the SW Gang leaving for Nevada.  Of course, the latter now relocated to Arizona, and inquiring minds speculate as to why they did.  

I read a recent Kody interview. He said they moved to Flagstaff(could be wrong on the city) because it is very inclusive, has new laws to protect the LBQTG community and overall is a "hippie" live or let live place. He felt they would be freer there. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, grammaester said:

I read a recent Kody interview. He said they moved to Flagstaff(could be wrong on the city) because it is very inclusive, has new laws to protect the LBQTG community and overall is a "hippie" live or let live place. He felt they would be freer there. 

Hmm.  I thought they were pretty free in LV.  I'm inclined to think that Kootie & The Gang weren't getting enough attention in LV.  

Since Flag seems to be a higher cost city compared to many other areas of AZ (only from what I've read) I wonder if they have a backup plan (and jobs lined up) if SW should get cancelled.  

BTT:  Seems to me that many of these women just go along with it to keep their man.  I don't believe for a minute that these wives are on board with it.

Edited by xwordfanatik
back to topic of SSW
  • Love 2
On 1/29/2019 at 10:26 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Due to Utah’s history with polygamy/plural marriage they have specific laws on the books prohibiting co-habitation and proporting to be married etc. These laws haven’t been struck down, and haven’t been successful challenged as civil rights cases- yet.

Think about it; Lawrence vs Texas was only decided in 2003- of course there were many same sex couples living lives and being “out” before then, but “sodomy” was still illegal, and you could face criminal punishment (although most people didn't). Same principles.

I too would like to see polygamy decriminalized full stop- for the same reason sodomy laws were taken off the books. The law should not be able to tell adults with their full mental facilities intact whom they can/cannot live with or what they can call each other- all of the other issues they prosecute polygamists for (i.e. child abuse, welfare fraud etc) are STILL CRIMES so please punish people for that, no need to throw a polygamy charge in as well. That's what I think these couples are getting at, they want to be charged to be able to challenge the law. 

Good points all and I agree that polygamy needs to be decriminalized but I also think there needs to be some sort of limit on how many "wives" can claim welfare and other benefits from the state. Let's say Utah decided to decriminalize it totally. The majority of polygamists would move back there, after all it's there home state. Assuming an average of 4 wives per family(there are families in mountains that have 7-8 wives), that's alot of food stamps and public assistance. Utah would be broke in a few years. Probably overstating my point but I'm sure this is why this law has never been overthrown, all about the money. 

3 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Hmm.  I thought they were pretty free in LV.  I'm inclined to think that Kootie & The Gang weren't getting enough attention in LV.  

Since Flag seems to be a higher cost city compared to many other areas of AZ (only from what I've read) I wonder if they have a backup plan (and jobs lined up) if SW should get cancelled.  

Kody bought 4 lots for 820K and plans to build houses. Unfortunately, none of their homes in Vegas have sold and 2 of them have dropped the price significantly, around 40K.  I imagine people would be concerned lookie-loos would be driving around the cul-de-sac not realizing they moved. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, lezlers said:

I know Christine Brown and I believe Jenelle Brown as well, were both on public assistance while being "married" to Cody.   

Christine may have been on welfare, but Janelle had a high paying government job.  As a matter of fact, she is the only Brown that is always employed.

8 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Janelle was Mainstream LDS when she befriended Kody and Meri. So I guess in some cases Mainstream Mormons do become friends with Fundamentalist Mormons. 

Janelle was married to Meri's brother.  She divorced him and married the Kodster.  Hence why she and Meri never got along.  

The Alldredges seem like decent people. It's going to be even harder for them to meet a woman who would be willing to move to Nowhere, North Dakota.

I don't think Tami is on the polygamy train.  I have a feeling it was something he sprung on her after they wed.  

• Love 2

Janelle was on assistance at one time. She never had a high paying job, she was a clerk in a government office. Currently she is not really working except whatever money she makes from her “Strive” fitness website which appears to be very little.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Janelle was on assistance at one time. She never had a high paying job, she was a clerk in a government office.

When they were living in Utah, Janelle was credited as being the main bread winner.  According to their book, they used her earnings to buy the house in Lehi.  Which was why she had a half wing while Meri and Christine shared the other half.  

I don't believe any of the participants on this show are on public assistance.  If I am not mistaken, Demetri is an IT Tech, and the Alldredges own a ranch in North Dakota, so they are doing well. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Janelle was married to Meri's brother.  She divorced him and married the Kodster.  Hence why she and Meri never got along.  

The Alldredges seem like decent people. It's going to be even harder for them to meet a woman who would be willing to move to Nowhere, North Dakota.

I don't think Tami is on the polygamy train.  I have a feeling it was something he sprung on her after they wed.  

Yes, and I knew that. Maybe I should have written my post differently.

Around the time Janelle married Meri's brother Adam, she had him convert to Mainstream Mormonism from Fundamental Mormonism, so she had to have met and known him (and possibly Meri's family) when he was a practicing Fundamentalist.

Janelle didn't really convert to Fundamentalism until she and Kody got involved. Her mother went in along with her (for support because Janelle's family didn't want her going into Fundamentalism, or just didn't want her marrying a polygamist) and married Kody's father before Kody and Janelle married.

I'm not sure of what the timeline is, but Janelle definitely met Adam (and possibly his family)when she was LDS.

Not to nitpick.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2019 at 6:56 PM, grammaester said:

Good points all and I agree that polygamy needs to be decriminalized but I also think there needs to be some sort of limit on how many "wives" can claim welfare and other benefits from the state. Let's say Utah decided to decriminalize it totally. The majority of polygamists would move back there, after all it's there home state. Assuming an average of 4 wives per family(there are families in mountains that have 7-8 wives), that's alot of food stamps and public assistance. Utah would be broke in a few years. Probably overstating my point but I'm sure this is why this law has never been overthrown, all about the money. 

I don't know this for sure, but it seems like most of these women would be on public assistance whether polygamy is legal or not?  Or whether they were completely honest about having some percentage of a "husband" or not, as one "husband" can only support so many women, no matter what he calls them.  In other words, I wonder how many of the women collecting public assistance while hiding that they're sister wives would be disqualified if they were to admit it.  

On 2/1/2019 at 7:54 PM, Adeejay said:

Christine may have been on welfare, but Janelle had a high paying government job.  As a matter of fact, she is the only Brown that is always employed.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:06 PM, Madding crowd said:

Janelle was on assistance at one time. She never had a high paying job, she was a clerk in a government office. Currently she is not really working except whatever money she makes from her “Strive” fitness website which appears to be very little.

"High paying government job" is a total oxymoron!  ;-)  But, per the family's own accounts, Janelle's gov't job did provide most of the family's financial stability during those years relative to the other family members - who set a pretty freaking low bar.  Janelle hasn't truly worked however since moving to LV.  In fact, Meri has been the only family member really busting ass to make $$ since they left Utah, which is quite the 180 from her previous part time jobs for which she would maybe show up if nothing more interesting to do popped up.  I've often wondered what caused her the sharp turnaround in work ethic, actually.

I'm not sure Janelle divorcing Meri's brother has much to do with why they haven't gotten along.  My sense is it has more to do with what Janelle did next - take half of Meri's husband.  I somehow don't think that exactly endeared Janelle to Meri.  As to Janelle, well.... Meri is completely and utterly insufferable.  In so many ways.  What's more mind blowing than them not really being friends is the fact they can play nice at all.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:05 PM, Adeejay said:

When they were living in Utah, Janelle was credited as being the main bread winner.  According to their book, they used her earnings to buy the house in Lehi.  Which was why she had a half wing while Meri and Christine shared the other half.  

I don't believe any of the participants on this show are on public assistance.  If I am not mistaken, Demetri is an IT Tech, and the Alldredges own a ranch in North Dakota, so they are doing well. 

I hadn't thought about it, but speaking of, aside from the show, do any of the women on Seeking Sister Wife work or otherwise earn $$?  As best I can remember, I'm thinking no?  In fact, have any of the wives to whom we've been introduced on TLC's various sister wife shows actually have a career?  Two of the Darger wives, who I think maybe had a special a few years ago (?) and have been on a couple episodes of Sister Wives, own (or owned, at least) a cleaning business which is maybe somewhat lucrative, but that's all I can come up with.   And hmmm, that's rather, ummm.... depressing AF.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I don't know this for sure, but it seems like most of these women would be on public assistance whether polygamy is legal or not?  Or whether they were completely honest about having some percentage of a "husband" or not, as one "husband" can only support so many women, no matter what he calls them.  In other words, I wonder how many of the women collecting public assistance while hiding that they're sister wives would be disqualified if they were to admit it.  

"High paying government job" is a total oxymoron!  ;-)  But, per the family's own accounts, Janelle's gov't job did provide most of the family's financial stability during those years relative to the other family members - who set a pretty freaking low bar.  Janelle hasn't truly worked however since moving to LV.  In fact, Meri has been the only family member really busting ass to make $$ since they left Utah, which is quite the 180 from her previous part time jobs for which she would maybe show up if nothing more interesting to do popped up.  I've often wondered what caused her the sharp turnaround in work ethic, actually.

I'm not sure Janelle divorcing Meri's brother has much to do with why they haven't gotten along.  My sense is it has more to do with what Janelle did next - take half of Meri's husband.  I somehow don't think that exactly endeared Janelle to Meri.  As to Janelle, well.... Meri is completely and utterly insufferable.  In so many ways.  What's more mind blowing than them not really being friends is the fact they can play nice at all.

I hadn't thought about it, but speaking of, aside from the show, do any of the women on Seeking Sister Wife work or otherwise earn $$?  As best I can remember, I'm thinking no?  In fact, have any of the wives to whom we've been introduced on TLC's various sister wife shows actually have a career?  Two of the Darger wives, who I think maybe had a special a few years ago (?) and have been on a couple episodes of Sister Wives, own (or owned, at least) a cleaning business which is maybe somewhat lucrative, but that's all I can come up with.   And hmmm, that's rather, ummm.... depressing AF.

You would think that with plural marriage the husband, and a wife with the most education/talents/inclination would be bread winners/career driven, and another wife (or wives) would be caregivers. That way enough money would be coming in to support everyone and all the domestic duties would be taken care of. I’m thinking wife 2 of the Winder family works- what else does she do all day?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

I'm not sure Janelle divorcing Meri's brother has much to do with why they haven't gotten along.  My sense is it has more to do with what Janelle did next - take half of Meri's husband.  I somehow don't think that exactly endeared Janelle to Meri. 

If you are going to quote me, please get it right.  This is what I said:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

If you are going to quote me, please get it right.  This is what I said:

Ah, thought you meant Meri was pissed Janelle dumped her brother!  But, we're on the same page that Meri, who only cares about Meri, was actually pissed because Janelle then married Grody.  :-)

• Love 3

I wrote a blog post with my thoughts on the 2nd episode.  I wrote mostly about the Alldredges' babysitters and sleeping arrangements (when they go to Niagara Falls).  It's a 5-minute read.    https://speakingofpolygamy.com/2019/02/11/babysitters-bedrooms-and-being-in-the-present/

Also, my plural husband Joshua wrote about the Winders coming out to the ducks and his own experience coming out of hiding as a polygamist.  This one is a 7-minute read.  https://speakingofpolygamy.com/2019/02/06/the-winder-family-comes-out-of-hiding-or-hidden-wife-hidden-life/

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, speakingofpolygamy said:

I wrote a blog post with my thoughts on the 2nd episode.  I wrote mostly about the Alldredges' babysitters and sleeping arrangements (when they go to Niagara Falls).  It's a 5-minute read.    https://speakingofpolygamy.com/2019/02/11/babysitters-bedrooms-and-being-in-the-present/

Also, my plural husband Joshua wrote about the Winders coming out to the ducks and his own experience coming out of hiding as a polygamist.  This one is a 7-minute read.  https://speakingofpolygamy.com/2019/02/06/the-winder-family-comes-out-of-hiding-or-hidden-wife-hidden-life/

Interesting!  Nice to get different viewpoints!

• Love 1

Ugh the Snowdens, "we can't control if she wants to eat red meat" (YET!).  If this was truly a plural lifestyle, she'd be able to eat what she wants.  But I think this is a slave to Dimitri and Ashley cult-ish set up.

What was up with the Alldredges potential SW (can't remember her name) freak out over a "sitch"? They keep picking these free spirit types and I don't think that's a good fit for their family. He seems very conservative, doing stretches at the rink in his jeans. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2