Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I remembered all the kids.  Shayne irritated me no end on his season.  He seems to have grown up a lot but he still needs some diet and exercise.  I was impressed that all of them have stuck with cooking in some way.  That tells me that they were serious when they were on the show and not just child actor wannabes.

I'm glad that Micah was eliminated.  There was a LOT of talk on Reddit during his season that he was not what he presented himself to be.  I was surprised he was even invited back.  Campy Tommy OTOH was one of my favorites so I'm glad he got back in.  I get a kick out of him and he can really cook.

I'm glad that everyone with long hair pulled it back before cooking.  However, they all did it while at their stations so you know they went right to work without washing their hands.  Ugh.

• Love 3

Gordon really is trying to pretend Dino didn’t exist, doesn’t he.   Every time he points up to the winners photos, he never mentions him and today was 5he first time I even caught a glimpse of his photo.  

• Love 2

One other thing that I thought was weird. I think at least twice in the first episode Aaron talked about how the contestants were back to "right a wrong" or similar.

It seemed weird for one of the judges of the competition to act as though the past judgments in the competition could/should be considered to be wrong. Because if these returning people were booted unjustly it undermines the validity of the system and the previous winners. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Gordon really is trying to pretend Dino didn’t exist, doesn’t he.   Every time he points up to the winners photos, he never mentions him and today was 5he first time I even caught a glimpse of his photo.  

What's the issue with Dino?  Was there some scandal I haven't been able to unearth?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Leeds said:

What's the issue with Dino?  Was there some scandal I haven't been able to unearth?

He just didn’t like quirky Dino, but the guy could cook.  And then in the final, Joe was the guest judge, and he loved Dino’s cooking as the style reminded him off his mom’s.   And when Gordon said Dino was using squid ink, Joe dismissively runs through all the pitfalls. When he goes out to talk to Dino, unprompted starts telling Joe about the pitfalls and how he is going to address them which impressed Joe.  I think Gordon felt he had to choose Dino. 

• Thanks 2
46 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm just glad that the woman with the $40 per week food budget didn't go through.  She annoyed me the last time.

Lexi. I  didn’t believe her food budget at all. $100 a week is barely believable.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Lexi. I  didn’t believe her food budget at all. $100 a week is barely believable.

I think it was more likely "$40 a week for fresh food to supplement the cases of staples she got from the commissary."

• Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, susannot said:

How did they choose the people to invite back?  Seems like a completely random selection with no discernible criteria.

I would think it was based on (1) were they interesting enough to invite, (2) were they available?  That would have narrowed the field considerably.  

It seemed odd that they only had three of the former Junior contestants, since all the other groups had four contestants.  Maybe none of the other Juniors wanted to or could be there.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I was very surprised she wasn't chosen. And I am wondering/worried that there will be some sort of second chance for Lexi and all the people rejected to be chosen as part of the 20 contestants.

I put it down to nerves, but Shayne it is pronounced Vietnamese, not Vietmanese. 😋

It's a fun batch of people this time, I like it. Willie, everybody luvs you man. I hope you do well.  Tommy, my man you are such a fun goofball to watch, welcome. Glad Dara made it, I think she can really go places.  Happy to see Bowen back, I think he'll be a serious contender as well.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I would think it was based on (1) were they interesting enough to invite, (2) were they available?  That would have narrowed the field considerably.  

It seemed odd that they only had three of the former Junior contestants, since all the other groups had four contestants.  Maybe none of the other Juniors wanted to or could be there.

One other common criteria: I think everyone so far has been able to say that after Masterchef they did in fact go for some food-oriented career. I imagine that the powers that be don't want a contestant who would say "After I lost in Masterchef, I went back to my boring ass accounting job."

So most likely, there's a limited number of MCJR contestants who are available, interesting, and old enough to be able to say "I am doing something food-related with myself."

Or it could be as simple as there was a planned fourth person who had to bail.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, DEL901 said:

He just didn’t like quirky Dino, but the guy could cook.  And then in the final, Joe was the guest judge, and he loved Dino’s cooking as the style reminded him off his mom’s.   And when Gordon said Dino was using squid ink, Joe dismissively runs through all the pitfalls. When he goes out to talk to Dino, unprompted starts telling Joe about the pitfalls and how he is going to address them which impressed Joe.  I think Gordon felt he had to choose Dino. 

Thanks for the explanation.  I liked Dino from the start, so I'm glad to see him back.

• Love 2

I think that they are also ignoring past winner Courtney as much as possible...

I enjoyed this episode-it seemed pretty straightforward although many of the dishes looked really good.  So glad there wasn't a blatant play for drama like last week when Shanika moved on tot he competition.

18 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I think that they are also ignoring past winner Courtney as much as possible...

I enjoyed this episode-it seemed pretty straightforward although many of the dishes looked really good.  So glad there wasn't a blatant play for drama like last week when Shanika moved on tot he competition.

She's probably busy polishing her pole and couldn't get away.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:
1 hour ago, Lukeysboat said:

I rolled my eyes when Aarón called Derrick “young man.” TWICE. Really? Derrick is 44 and I highly doubt Aarón is much older than that.  

He's 46. 

And he’s had his birthday this year, while Derrick has not. So they’re less than two years apart. My point exactly. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 6/6/2022 at 7:46 AM, Lukeysboat said:

I rolled my eyes when Aarón called Derrick “young man.” TWICE. Really? Derrick is 44 and I highly doubt Aarón is much older than that.  

I think he's picked it up, either intentionally or not, from Gordon Ramsay.  The problem is, on Gordon it sounds fine, whereas Aaron comes across as even more of a dick than normal.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

I think he's picked it up, either intentionally or not, from Gordon Ramsay.  The problem is, on Gordon it sounds fine, whereas Aaron comes across as even more of a dick than normal.

I think you're right.  Aaron has that personality that makes you want to use an impressive-sounding word incorrectly, knowing he'd be using it all over the place to impress people.

Kind of like "unctuous."

• Fire 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I think you're right.  Aaron has that personality that makes you want to use an impressive-sounding word incorrectly, knowing he'd be using it all over the place to impress people.

Kind of like "unctuous."

Or like me and the fire reaction (see above).  I still don't know what it means but I throw it out there when I want to really express my support and admiration for a post and want more than the somewhat insipid heart.

• Applause 1
2 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Or like me and the fire reaction (see above).  I still don't know what it means but I throw it out there when I want to really express my support and admiration for a post and want more than the somewhat insipid heart.

Wow.  THANK YOU!!!!

• Love 1
On 6/2/2022 at 11:12 AM, susannot said:

How did they choose the people to invite back?  Seems like a completely random selection with no discernible criteria.

They choose the contestants that annoyed me to the point I would scream as they kept them on show after show after show. Most of the times shows bring back prior contestants, they're the ones that I couldn't stand to watch. 😃

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, GaT said:

Glad the auditions are over, I don't even know why they put them on the show.

Especially for this season. I would have loved for Jaimee and Sheetal  to compete. Why tease me?

There were two people in this episode that did not have careers in food and they both lost so I wonder if they had to bring in a couple of "fillers" as they had a limited number of past contestants who work in the food industry.  

I wouldn't mind seeing a companion competition of the 19 people who did not receive an apron as a lot of the food looked really good (and they could have filmed two seasons with the original group of 40).

• Like 1

Master platers, hee. /12YO

Bummed that Felix and Sheetal didn't make it as they're among the few I remembered by name. Instead, I guess I can count the days until BFFs Fred and Bri inevitably face off in a Pressure Test and one has to send the other packing. #TeamFred

18 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a companion competition of the 19 people who did not receive an apron as a lot of the food looked really good (and they could have filmed two seasons with the original group of 40).

Same. Too bad they didn't leave a couple of spots for a second-chance round where some of the closer calls get another shot at an apron, but I suppose it goes against the premise when the entire season is a second chance.

• LOL 2
(edited)

Joe:  "identically the same"

"unedible"

Don't ever change, Joe.   You make this show a grammatically incorrect goldmine.

Why bother to discuss the bottom three?  I hope Gabriel gets his act together.

Edited by whinewithwine
Because I could.
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

Joe:  "identically the same"

"unedible"

Don't ever change, Joe.   You make this show a grammatically incorrect goldmine.

Why bother to discuss the bottom three?  I hope Gabriel gets his act together.

Don't forget Aaron, "Something to overlook beyond this."

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I liked that they showed more of the judges tasting the dishes before determining top three and bottom three.  I didn't always understand why they chose the dishes that they did (well, aside from 'drama') and was impressed that they not only tasted all of the dishes but spoke to the contestants about their dishes.

However, I wasn't impressed with either Emily or Shanika in the top three so decided that they are really trying to build up a rivalry between them and the women just aren't having that this season.  I laughed when during the cook one of the judges said to Emily something about getting even/revenge and she took it to the cake and not Shanika (which is what I think the judges wanted).  Well done Emily.  And, there was chatter between the two women at various times so I don't think this big rivalry that the producers where desperately planning/hoping for is going to be a deal this season (and for which I think better cooks went home during the audition phase so that they could have both Emily and Shanika in the competition [and it's Shanika's dish that I thought was very weak]).

I think Tommy will be gone very soon and I also think Gabriel will settle down and do well (hopefully).

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Gordon also seems to call a lot of people "young man" who are not necessarily "young." (i.e. mid-20s or younger for the purposes of this. Maybe Aaron got it off of him.

Gordon is 9 years older than Aarrrrrron. So a lot of people qualify as young compared to Gordon.

Primetimer has a new inclusion policy for those who may be unaware.  Posts containing slurs or insensitive language about a (real or fictional) person’s race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, capacities, age or body type will be removed.

This policy is purposely broad to ensure that all communities enjoy the same level of protections.

To read the full policy please go here

As a result, some posts above concerning the 'gayness' of some of the competitors have been removed. 

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Gordon also seems to call a lot of people "young man" who are not necessarily "young." (i.e. mid-20s or younger for the purposes of this. Maybe Aaron got it off of him.

Yeah but someone is his/her 20s is young compared to someone in his 40s or 50s. Aaron is doing this to men nearly his age and older. It’s weird. 

• Love 3

Yeah the young man phrase is driving me bananas. I think even Alejandro (40) got called young man.

Shayne and Gabriel I see being called young man. 

Poor Tommy looked so flustered! I don’t think he is staying for long.

Gabe I have high hopes for! And Fred!

On 6/15/2022 at 7:30 PM, whinewithwine said:

I hope Gabriel gets his act together.

If he doesn't, Gordon is going to have to eat a big helping of crow.

It will also probably bring an end to the judges giving unsanctioned rewards to the losers which wouldn't be such a bad thing.

• Love 1

Tommy's anxiety reached through the screen. I felt flustered just watching him. 

Hope he can either settle down or be put out of his misery soon.

Question... what's the big deal with making three servings of the same dish? They are acting like they have to make three different dishes in the time limit. Aren't you supposed to have dishes be consistent and taste the same? Doesn't seem so hard to me, especially if you are a masterchef. Am I missing something?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

Tommy's anxiety reached through the screen. I felt flustered just watching him. 

Hope he can either settle down or be put out of his misery soon.

Question... what's the big deal with making three servings of the same dish? They are acting like they have to make three different dishes in the time limit. Aren't you supposed to have dishes be consistent and taste the same? Doesn't seem so hard to me, especially if you are a masterchef. Am I missing something?

Chopped and Top Chef contestants make one dish for each judge.   Sometimes the get criticized if all dishes aren’t identical. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

In the past, the contestants only had to make one plate.

That means that you could cook multiples of the dish and use the prettiest one/have a bigger margin for error if something goes south. 

Having to present three of the same dish also means that more time is needed to plate, and that you can get dinged for any of the three having insufficient/excessive seasoning or even just being plated differently.

So while at the same time it's not an unreasonable expectation IMO, it is going to threaten to tax people from time to time.

• Love 2

I guess I'm the only one that was sorry to see Stephen go.  It looked like he completely forgot the gelatin.  I don't think I would have liked any of them going home so soon to be honest, though.  I guess because these are second timers it's always going to feel harsh.

I wouldn't be so sure Tommy is going home any time soon.  As I recall in his first season he always acted like he was messing up or two steps away from spinning out of control but he always managed to put something forth that earned him another week in the competition.  Until he didn't, of course.  It looked like this dish set off his PTSD with his first time getting eliminated.  Hopefully he'll be back on track next week.

• Love 3

In thinking about the "young man" discussion, I think that it seems 'right' when Gordon says it as he also has YEARS of experience, so even if someone is older (contestants) they are still 'young' in the profession.  When Aaron uses it there isn't the same sense.  Yes, he's accomplished but he doesn't have the renown and experience of Gordon so Gordon may seem 'older' than Aaron.  I am enjoying the season and probably put way too much thought into this, but I agreed with the observations others made about Aaron's use of this phrase and wondered why it hit me differently than when Gordon says it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1