Type keyword(s) to search

Baptiste - General Discussion

raven
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, raven said:

Unsatisfying finale for me.   I had inadvertently read that "Baptiste suffers a devastating loss" which is not how I would classify Martha.  He loved her 32 years ago and has been happily married for decades.  Meh.

So henchmen guy breaks into Genevieve's apartment, lurks around with a cleaver and then just leaves?  Did the major mob guys call him off, not wanting to kill a police officer?  Meh.

Agree on the bad finale. And I did not get the meat cleaver guy scene at all. I guess simultaneously with Baptiste calling to tell her they were no longer targets, cleaver guy must have gotten a text to back off? But was he still in the apartment or not?

• Love 2
(edited)

I enjoyed this season but agree the ending was weird. Like why even waste time on the guy w the cleaver if he goes away and nothing comes of it?  And that Europol woman was just ridiculously bitchy.   
The chase scene was fun but obviously the bad guys didn’t really want to kill them cuz it seems they easily could have just driven up alongside and shot the driver. Why crash them first?
Edward Stratton was a great character tho.   

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 3

In the final episode, it was clear that Jessica Raine was pregnant.  Especially in those scenes where she was wearing that white blouse.  I began to wonder if that was going to be a twist - that  her character was expecting a baby and the father was the one she was visiting in that hospital/nursing home.   

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Rickster said:

But was he still in the apartment or not?

She notices her sliding door is open and she closes it, so I guess we are to infer he went out that way.   Maybe he got bored waiting and left, lol.

• Useful 1

I think the meat cleaver guy was told to back off....just in time.  Had he not gotten the message, then Genevieve would have been killed pointlessly.  That was the suspense involved.

I liked the entire season...but felt Niels was the one who should have died....not his mother.

I wondered through the whole finale if the actress playing Genevieve was pregnant...not just because of the loose white blouses.  Her whole body from armpits to thighs seemed to have gotten thicker.

Not many of the characters ended with any happiness -- or even their lives in tact.  Natalie's sister not surviving was especially sad.

• Love 1

It was already a relative bloodbath to the 2 seasons of Missing.

I don't recall the exact outcomes but the body count of characters in this season of Baptiste seems much higher.

• Love 1

I found Niels attitude to be increasingly common amongst certain peoples "it's going to happen anyway so why shouldn't I benefit?"  I really bought the idea that it was his mom, but this was far more chilling-not only did he not care about the people he had killed, hurt, sold into sex trafficing, he didn't even care about what he was doing to his mother.  All justified because it was going to happen anyway.

I felt that Baptiste was a bit too preachy to Stratton at the end, but it led to wrapping up all of the story lines so it served its purpose.

• Love 1

The closed captioners had a difficult job dealing with four languages.  I wish they had been able to provide more than [speaking in Romanian] etc.  Sometimes it would have been useful to know what the characters were saying.  I did get an occasional chuckle from the "no audio" for naughty words though.

• Love 1
On 5/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

You know what's been completely irrelevant? Testicular cancer prosthetics, that's what! 

Although we did have Niels say, "This is where you see if you have the ... the backbone." He couldn't say "balls" and paused. This was to meat cleaver guy next to the arcade game.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/20/2020 at 2:02 PM, sempervivum said:

Except when he's walking- what exactly happened that made him so spraddle-legged? I thought he had brain cancer, which shouldn't have caused that. Despite that, he seems to have a lot of stamina as he runs after

In the previous series, The Missing, Season one, Episode six, it was revealed that in a flashback set in 2006, a dodgy cop repeatedly slammed his leg with a car door.  He required several surgeries to help improve leg function.

I haven't watched Baptiste episode 6 yet, so I haven't read through this whole thread yet.  Complex plots, some unexpected twists, and believable characters, all combine to make this a series worth watching, IMHO.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3

I watched the last episode yesterday.  Lots of resolutions.  When Genevieve entered her flat, I kept thinking, Get out while you can! Get out! Get out!.  And then...everything is OK?  Which was a relief.

Sad for Martha.  The wrap-up with Stratton by the sea was a good choice, I think.  Looking forward to Season 2!

• Love 1

Didn't even see this coming, my Tivo is set to record tonight.

Heard this is probably it, the end of the road for the Baptiste character.

Well it will have to wait until after Succession, which is what people are going to be discussing.

I haven't been watching this series consistently, but was able to figure things out in the season 2 premiere that aired here last night. I love Fiona Shaw, and the mystery was very compelling. Not a huge fan of the 'time travel' plot layout, but I assume there'll be a good reason for it. 

Yeah the first episode really drew me in.

Baptiste finds some runaway, takes a picture of him, says he doesn't care if he goes back to his parents.

Then sees a TV news report about the disappearance and just jumps on a plane and then drives to some resort in the Hungarian forest.  Looks like they will show some beautiful shots of Budapest at night in future episodes.

Obviously there's a big story about Baptiste's daughter passing away and a new adult son he didn't know about, as well as the falling out with his wife.

Emma's lost almost her entire family but wants to find her other son, abducted the possible suspect.

I didn't entirely buy how quickly Baptiste deduces that the guy was cheating with the nanny or that the hotel worker who said she saw Emma's husband got turned around so she was mistaken about the direction he was headed and Baptiste finds the body by going in the opposite direction from where the police had searched.

But I guess it moved the story along, that he's finding things that the Hungarian police didn't, probably causing friction with them.

Kind of annoyed that PBS is beeping out the profanity.  Come on, French actor speaks English dialog, throws in some words and they have to beep it out.

• Love 2

Well, since he signed those papers, I'd say there was a little more than a "falling out" with his wife.  

I'm not crazy about having to spend the first 20 minutes of a 45 minute show trying to get a handle on the timeline.  They waited too long for the chryons to give us more info on what was in the past in what was present day. 

But I like the show & the last scene was a YOWZA!  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, aghst said:

Retired after many years in the police so probably has a nice pension.

But he did sleep in the hotel lobby and ate some food that was out there.

I wondered why he didn't get a room, when he went up to the desk clerk.  He's a bit old to be sleeping in a lobby chair, even in a nice hotel.  So he's got enough for airfare and a car, just not enough for accommodations & food!  

So does this mean both her sons are alive, and the shooting was faked?  I love this show, but sometimes it just gets too twisty for me to really get.  Thank goodness Julien has a long beard in present day, that helps distinguish past from now.  Poor Szonia, demoted to security guard.  I assume that was for letting Emma smuggle in the knife to the jail cell.  

• Love 3

The time travel is interfering with my enjoyment of this season. I really hope this all comes together in a 'wow' moment. 

Re. Baptiste's finances, it cracks me up that this crusty doesn't-give-a-damn old codger nonetheless has what is clearly an expensive haircut, carefully groomed beard and the latest in skinny jeans.

• Love 2

Thanks everyone for bumping this topic - I didn't know S2 was here otherwise.

11 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

So does this mean both her sons are alive, and the shooting was faked?  I love this show, but sometimes it just gets too twisty for me to really get.  Thank goodness Julien has a long beard in present day, that helps distinguish past from now. 

Agree with all of this.  I wonder if the older son faked being shot and that's him behind the mask as the voice of Gomorrah?  Why keep Will for so long if not?  After 14 months, I would think he would have been killed as well, but if his older brother engineered the whole thing, he would keep him alive and try to convert him.  Maybe they were trying to get away quietly and the father was out early to film the birds and saw them and was killed accidentally?  Remember that Will needed his phone but it was left behind.  That's my convoluted theory for now.   I love the Baptiste character too much, I am here for the whole ride.

Well I knew the ambassador had to have brought the knife with her, lol, so it shouldn't take the police long to figure that out.  

My heart broke for Baptiste and Celia finding their daughter. 

Fiona Shaw is doing good work and I feel for the character but I am super worried about Zsófia's father.  I wonder if something happens to him and she retaliates and that's why she's not with the police?  It was really the guy at the front desk and the guy guarding Juszt who screwed up.

• Love 2

Plot is really hard to follow.

ZSofia's father is being harassed by young men who want to be noticed by Gomorrah, which is some Islamic group or in the video they speak in Farsi and talk about battling the cross or something.

ZSofia says they're linked to some Islamic group based in the Ukraine.

But the young men are anti-immigrant and there are Hungarian politicians who stoke anti-immigrant anger.

Andreas Juszt was taken in by a Muslim immigrant couple until they died and when he grew up he fell in with some anti-immigrant group?  And that group decided to kill the husband of the UK ambassador to Hungary and take her sons for what exactly?

Compared to the seasons of Missing, these are very elaborate cases.  In those early seasons, Baptiste made a lot of personal sacrifices to pursue these cases.  In the last season, these sacrifices included putting his family in danger.

Although his family wasn't directly harmed by that case, it led to his daughter relapsing and dying of a drug OD.  So you can say Baptiste and Emma have empathy for each other because they've lost children, even before this case.

Then again, Baptiste has always had compassion for the parents, as that is what presumably drove him to pursue these cases to the end.  I don't recall if they showed much of his personal life in those first seasons, other than that he had a terminal condition so that kind of drove him, to solve these cases and return the children before he would pass away.

So I'm not sure if the pain and regret from losing his daughter would be especially important at this point.  Even if he didn't suffer that loss, he'd still be in Budapest working this case.  Even if it meant his wife leaves him.  It's telling, the man who helped Emma abduct Andreas can't be involved any longer because he has a family to return to and he can't get in trouble for their sake.  So it makes it seem like Emma has to turn to Julien since he's lost his daughter and now his wife but the truth is, family never stopped him from working these cases.

• Love 3

We now know how Emma ended up in the wheelchair, shot in the back.  And one of her sons was involved with the terrorists, so we can assume his "murder" in the video was a sham, for the drama factor.  The had never recovered his body, so now there actually is one.  

We also know Gomorrah is either the female politician, or is somebody working for her.  The video was shot in her basement, as Baptiste deduced from the windows. 

Things are slowly coming together.  I'd still like a few more, less confusing answers.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Wow. Baptiste (unknowingly) killed Alex. 

So Alex presumably was connected to his dad's ambush/death and the abduction/possible death of Will, all because he fell for a girl online? He became a murdering terrorist even though he's not even Hungarian? I suppose the terrorists could have been forcing him to participate to save Will, but he seemed pretty enthusiastic (ie, finishing off fallen victims).

Curious to see how this ends up getting the policewoman fired, since you'd think she'd get credit for having foreseen the attack (thanks to Baptiste). 

• Love 4

Yeah weird that the Ambassador's son became a terrorist on account of a supposed girl on-line.   Especially since he wasn't Hungarian and really didn't have a dog in the fight.  And unless this was really a  Patty Hearst situation, it really doesn't make any sense.  

My guess is that the person in the mask ("Gomorrah"?) is the woman politician.  I thought that from the get-go with the way the voice was distorted.   I really hope that the policewoman's father died of a heart attack or something "natural" as opposed to being murdered by the violent right wing thugs.  

I'm still not a fan of the timeline shifting and of how quickly (14 months) Baptiste became an alcoholic bum.  

• Love 4

Well, I was close.  I was thinking maybe Alex's "murder" was a fake when Baptiste deduced the video was fake.  I didn't think Julien would be the one to kill Alex, albeit accidentally.  I thought they would draw out the Alex reveal longer because it doesn't make sense as to why these people would keep Will alive for 14 months.

I don't think Alex met a girl online - I think that online profile is a cover to send messages from one of the Gomorrah people.  The police not figuring that out though is kind of lame.  I'm starting to think that Zsófia isn't fired; she quits because of whatever happens to her father. 

Could our present day surveillance trio be any more obvious??  They sit right outside the house and don't make any effort to hide the van.  Still no one notices so maybe it's just me.   I don't know what to make of Juszt.  Honestly, he could easily get away at any time.  I'm going with "still don't trust him".  If so, what is his angle? 

I don't think "Gomorrah" is the woman politician.   I think she is the public face and there's someone else.

This was a good episode - providing some answers and raising more questions. 

• Love 7

So Gomorrah tries to pin the kidnappings on Islamic extremists, which would be their enemy since they don't want any immigrants in Hungary.

It's actually far right nationalists types, anti-immigrant, who want to kill immigrants.

Yeah they need to explain why Alex fell in with them and set up his father to be killed and his brother to be abducted, just to keep his cover.  It's one thing to become a true believer, as far-fetched as it would appear in Alex's case.  But it's another thing for him to kill his father and abduct his brother.

If Alex's role isn't plausible, this season could fall apart pretty badly.  He was an enthusiastic sniper so he obviously had no problem with his father being killed and his brother being abducted.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, aghst said:

Yeah they need to explain why Alex fell in with them and set up his father to be killed and his brother to be abducted, just to keep his cover.

I'm still thinking it wasn't a set up.  The father went out early to bird watch.  I think Alex was sneaking out and Will went after him - Will left his phone behind, which was very unusual as he used it to communicate.   I think it was wrong place/wrong time.  At least, I hope so. 

Alex could have been an enthused/true believer - maybe it has something to do with the dead sister?  but I don't think he intentionally set up his family.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, raven said:

I'm still thinking it wasn't a set up.  The father went out early to bird watch.  I think Alex was sneaking out and Will went after him - Will left his phone behind, which was very unusual as he used it to communicate.   I think it was wrong place/wrong time.  At least, I hope so. 

Alex could have been an enthused/true believer - maybe it has something to do with the dead sister?  but I don't think he intentionally set up his family.

Even if wasn't a set up, his father got killed and he went ahead with killing all those people, as well as fake his own execution.

So if he didn't intend to have his father killed, he had solidarity with those who killed his father and went on to work for them.

• Love 1

I binged the season so far before watching tonight’s episode. I think this one is somewhat superior to S1 although the storyline this season is a tad more convoluted. Fiona Shaw’s ability to elevate every project she’s in could be part of it, I guess.

I did find it odd that the first two episodes appeared to be shot on film but the third episode definitely looked like it was shot on tape. And then tonight’s episode returned back to the “film” look. I suppose that these episodes are all shot on digital video but the third episode didn’t undergo the process to make it look like it was shot on film?

I far prefer shows like this to have a filmed look, myself. To get all superficial for a moment Tcheky Karyo looks nowhere near as hot when the lighting doesn’t have the depth it has on film!

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 3

Episode 4, seen yesterday- I'm fairly confused, but I think we now know that Agoston's husband is Gomorrah, but for some reason Agoston seems to be bringing food to fugitive(?) Will at a deserted farm. I assumed finding Will would be the end game, but he seems to be completely hostile to his mother, so I guess there's more revelations to come? Meanwhile Andras has vanished, but I never really understood how he was really helping Baptiste/Emma. I hope poor Zsofia (the ex-cop) gets even with that scary police captain (or whatever she is).

Non-plot related- JB goes spraddling off like an old crab chasing tall skinny teen Will, and succeeds in catching him. 🙄 Also, not sure why the plot required a looong self-barbering scene.

I love Fiona Shaw, and she's very good in this, but she looks more like Will's grandma.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Non-plot related- JB goes spraddling off like an old crab chasing tall skinny teen Will, and succeeds in catching him. 🙄 Also, not sure why the plot required a looong self-barbering scene.

I think the hair/beard cut indicates we're not going to be seeing Julien back 14 months ago, so the time-hopping should be over for his plot points and we won't need his hair signaling what's happening when.  (I hope that made sense!)  It does look like they'll go back however, to explain what happened with Emma's husband & boys, but JB wouldn't be in those scenes. 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

It's too bad Julien didn't get to see Emma and her sons interacting before they disappeared.  He might have been able to detect that the sons were secret right-wing terrorists who were willing to get their father killed and leave their mother, leading to her becoming paralyzed.

Also that the young son never talking was probably some kind of an act.

After all, Julien could tell that one hotel guest was cheating on his wife after seeing him once and also that couple in the restaurant was going to break up, after observing them for a few minutes.

😏

Should be interesting exposition, how the boys came to be like that.  The theory that the husband was terrorizing immigrant communities to drive them out and buy up properties for cheap didn't make that much sense.  A little vandalism and maybe threatening immigrants would be one thing but killing them, plotting a shooting spree which killed 21 people and wounded dozens more would be a bridge too far for a real estate strategy.

That shooting spree would be international news, 21 dead and many more wounded, especially where shooting sprees are uncommon.  This was Budapest, not Florida, after all.

It would bring way too much heat for the real estate developer.  They would have found out about his racist leanings, complaining about the smell of immigrant foods.  But a Brit living in Budapest is complaining about immigrants there?  He could have gone back to the UK if it bothered him.  Even if he wasn't involved in the shooting, him buying up properties in that area would have brought condemnation, exploiting a tragedy to enrich himself.  Also doesn't make sense the boys would feel strongly enough to join up some anti-immigrant terrorist group.

Not sure why Julien went back to Paris, saw his wife through the window from outside his house, and decided to turn around and leave.  Because she's too linked with their daughter?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/8/2021 at 11:42 AM, sempervivum said:

I love Fiona Shaw, and she's very good in this, but she looks more like Will's grandma.

It seemed like a couple of seconds was missing from the chase scene but I got the impression that Will maybe tripped and fell, because I doubt if gimpy Baptiste could have caught him otherwise.    And how many movie/tv scenes have we seen where the character is having some kind of mental trauma or catharsis and runs to the bathroom and starts going full out Vidal Sassoon on themselves?  And they always look really good instead of the mess most of us would make of ourselves doing that.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

at Aghst:  I don't think anything about this series is making much sense.  It's like on the surface you can buy the premise of the greedy real estate developer instigating a slaughter to buy land for cheap but yeah, your argument against that makes much more sense.   And again the sons - they are not Hungarian, from what we've seen, neither of the parents seems racist - I just hope there is a twist we didn't see coming because so far it's made from whole cloth. 

I think that Baptiste turned and left when he saw his wife was because she seemed so happy sitting there and chatting away with another lady.  Either her happiness bummed him out or he felt that his being there would just bum her out.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

It seemed like a couple of seconds was missing from the chase scene but I got the impression that Will maybe tripped and fell, because I doubt if gimpy Baptiste could have caught him otherwise.    And how many movie/tv scenes have we seen where the character is having some kind of mental trauma or catharsis and runs to the bathroom and starts going full out Vidal Sassoon on themselves?  And they always look really good instead of the mess most of us would make of ourselves doing that.  

On his way to the shed, JP almost tripped over a hole.  They showed the hole.  Then Will tripped over the same hole.  He ran back towards where Emma was in the car but he entered the shed from a different direction.

In any event, I was surprised he decided to go check things out.  He might have run into a bunch of the terrorists, not just Will.  These terrorists killed with impunity so for him to go in there unarmed made little sense.

In the seasons of The Missing, he was rarely in personal danger.  But in season 1 of Baptiste, he was dealing with organized crime, which represented a threat to him and his family.  Now, he's dealing with people willing to go on shooting sprees so you wonder if one of these days, he's going to get in over his head.

1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

at Aghst:  I don't think anything about this series is making much sense.  It's like on the surface you can buy the premise of the greedy real estate developer instigating a slaughter to buy land for cheap but yeah, your argument against that makes much more sense.   And again the sons - they are not Hungarian, from what we've seen, neither of the parents seems racist - I just hope there is a twist we didn't see coming because so far it's made from whole cloth. 

I think that Baptiste turned and left when he saw his wife was because she seemed so happy sitting there and chatting away with another lady.  Either her happiness bummed him out or he felt that his being there would just bum her out.  

They are raising a lot of questions as the story unfolds.  Hope they answer all of them.

• Love 1
On 11/9/2021 at 5:16 PM, aghst said:

But in season 1 of Baptiste, he was dealing with organized crime, which represented a threat to him and his family.  Now, he's dealing with people willing to go on shooting sprees so you wonder if one of these days, he's going to get in over his head.

I love the character but he doesn't quite work as an action hero (I'm exaggerating a bit here, heh).  I like the cerebral Poirot stuff.

I was wondering about the explanation we'll get about Emma's sons.  IIRC the family wasn't giving happy vibes when we saw them all together.  Emma was kind of snarky towards her husband I think?  Will obviously not communicating except to his brother unless using his phone - or would he only communicate with his brother?  I'm thinking they're trying to do a parallel with Emma's kids and the guy that Zsófia's father was trying to help.   The kid with no prospects is trying to turn his life around, etc.   I don't know.   If it hadn't been more than a year, I would think Will was being manipulated by threatening Emma or something but we know he called her and he's old enough to look for help.    I just want some kind of win for Emma.  The hospital scenes, where she is confronting the fact that Alex is a murderer, were really well done.

I hope Julien and Celia give it another try.  I don't blame her for making the break but I think they can find a balance (esp if we don't get another season!)

On 11/9/2021 at 12:18 PM, aghst said:

A little vandalism and maybe threatening immigrants would be one thing but killing them, plotting a shooting spree which killed 21 people and wounded dozens more would be a bridge too far for a real estate strategy.

I don't think the husband was planning the shooting spree - being a catalyst for their anger from what we've seen, yes and then taking advantage of the situation financially, yes.  Apparently it's the wife planning the Gomorrah activities and he's just along for the ride.   So what then was the purpose of watching them at the fertility clinic?  To try and humanize them?  I don't like or sympathize with either of them.

I was tempted to upgrade my PBS to watch the final 2 eps but I'll go week to week.  It's not perfect but I like it.

• Love 3

So we finally get to see the inception of the tragedy. Was the family living in Hungary when Laura was killed? Why would some high-visibility foreign dignitary in a country wracked by violence opt to live out in the middle of nowhere in a mostly glass house with (apparently) no security system. This was hard to swallow. 

I also wondered about Emma saying that the murderer was a 'troubled' man- mentally ill? Who cares, he killed your kid! And I was infuriated that she unbound Will, so that he could push her to the ground and then ambush Baptiste and escape. Sorry, Emma, but at this point, I hope somebody stops this loon permanently. Although at least we now know the brothers had nothing to do with their father's death (not directly).

So who IS Gomorrah? Baptiste seems to still think it's Camilla, but I could swear we found out last episode that it was her husband. Now it seems like Andras is Gomorrah?

And once again, crippled old Baptiste goes limping off after a teenager-up stairs, even!- and almost succeeds in catching him. Too bad Baptiste isn't willing to work that hard on being a decent husband- I don't blame Celia a bit.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, sempervivum said:

And I was infuriated that she unbound Will, so that he could push her to the ground and then ambush Baptiste and escape. Sorry, Emma, but at this point, I hope somebody stops this loon permanently.

I wanted to scream when she cut the ties.  I knew he would escape.   I thought the sister dying might have had something to do with everything because the show wasn't telling us what happened to her.  Ugh, Will was just so unsympathetic.  When Baptiste was showing him compassion about the sister's death, I was thinking he was a better person than I.   All I could hear from Will was "whine whine whine".   The actor playing Will is doing a good job - everyone is and Fiona Shaw is killing it - but Will doubling down made me want to slap him.

9 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Baptiste seems to still think it's Camilla, but I could swear we found out last episode that it was her husband. Now it seems like Andras is Gomorrah?

No, as soon as Will agreed with Baptiste's suggestion that Camilla was Gomorrah, you could see the wheels in Baptiste's head start turning.  Right away I thought "leading the witness, counselor" because Will looked kinda surprised in a "thanks for giving me the out " kind of way.  Then Will agrees that he was locked in Camilla's basement and you can tell Baptiste is planting that question.  Baptiste goes to Camilla's house (and he does have a habit of walking in whenever he wants, heh) to verify her basement has no lock.   I never really thought Camilla was the person behind the mask - she's the smiling, pleasant face presented to the public while she's doing behind the scenes stuff.   So for people we know, it had to be either Juszt or maybe Emma's assistant (which would be too complicated even for this show).   This episode seems to confirm it is Juszt - plus, he murdered Emma's husband in cold blood - it was not an accident.

Assuming it is Juszt, the police had him in custody and didn't find out he was Gomorrah and then he escapes, with Emma's help.  Not a good showing.

I know it was dumb of Emma to cut Will's ties but I do feel for her - daughter killed senselessly; husband murdered; she's paralyzed; everything with Will and Alex happening and it started right under her nose but she was too busy or whatever to see it. 

• Love 6

They seemed such a happy family, to the point of being saccharine sweet.

So one random act of violence destroys that happiness and the brothers both go berserk?

The sister’s death radicalizes them, makes them both willing mass killers?  Their father’s death and their mother being paralyzed, possibly at the hands of one of the brothers, didn’t make them stop for a second, think twice?

Upper middle class boys living in privilege, guests in the country, become anti immigrant?  Why do Brits have any more right to be in Hungary than Arabs?  They would probably look down at Andras, not be his followers.

I guess they weren’t good enough parents.  They provided them all kinds of material and educational advantages, emotional support.  Yet they’re ready to slaughter dozens?  Like Emma said, Will may talk about killing people but she can’t believe he’d actually go through with it.

The home is elegant but seems isolated.  So a stranger just walked in through an open door.  I though ambassadors had some lavish homes in the embassy compound, ready to host distinguished guests, VIPs, heads of states and so on.  Doesn’t seem like Emma and her family would live far away from the embassy.

• Love 3
On 10/19/2021 at 1:32 AM, aghst said:

Kind of annoyed that PBS is beeping out the profanity.  Come on, French actor speaks English dialog, throws in some words and they have to beep it out.

It's so annoying, especially when it's obvious what they're blurring out. Literally blurring, in the case of subtitles for the French and Hungarian.

PBS is a broadcast network that has to follow FCC guidelines, and F-bombs are a no-no. However, that made me wonder if the streaming service is censored too. Anyone watching it that way?

Lots of padding (and wasted time) in the finale.  I don't understand how people can get the crap beaten out of them and stabbed and yet don't seem all the worse for the wear.   And Baptiste never learned the lesson of don't turn your back on the bad guy who is down?  Plus he's this old gimpy guy and yet still manages to get the better of a much younger man.  Ah tv...  it's like the shows where a 102 lb woman manages to beat the hell out of a muscled 250 lb 6'4" man.  

The ending confused me.   At first I thought that maybe we were watching an Owl Creek Bridge type of thing.  That as he's dying, he is imagining this nice life ahead of him.  But it seems that he really lived and was going off happily into the sunset and maybe even have a chance at getting back with his wife.  Correct me if I'm wrong, please.  

• Love 1