Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

I look at this issue in sort of an opposite way that Carrie Ann does -- I honestly couldn't care less about protecting and/or defending Oliver from the other characters piling onto him, or the narrative excusing everyone else's faults but Oliver's. [And hey -- I agree it happens, it just doesn't activate my Defense Squad gene].

I'm frustrated by the writing just the same. Because Felicity's mean [instead of cruel?] streak was given to her as a characteristic on purpose. They've established that when she's stressed and exhausted, and uncomfortable with what she's feeling [or confused by what she's feeling], she lashes out at loved ones. They've put limitations onto this characteristic [stress + sleep deprivation trigger it], so that we in the audience are clear that this is not who she is, but what she occasionally does.

Because this is an on-going narrative. When I see that the writers are giving a character a flaw intentionally, I then start to expect [well, hope] that it'll be addressed as such. Because the thing about establishing these kinds of personality traits within a narrative is character development -- it should be arced into Felicity maybe realizing that she goes into über passive-aggressive mode when she's under this particular situation, and trying to change it. But Arrow doesn't really do this kind of writing, pretty much ever. Hence, frustration at the writing, not at Felicity.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 4

I guess I just don't see anything Felicity did as beating up on Oliver or even anything that really needed apologizing for. I definitely understand how it could rub some people the wrong way that he ended up apologizing at the end and she didn't, but I actually think that was kind of warranted.

I've mentioned how I think that Oliver--as helpful as he was trying to be--was not actually helping, but was in fact just making what was already a stressful situation for Felicity even more stressful (by distracting her from her work of finding Ray, with bringing her mom to town, etc.). I'm sure I'm projecting all over the place here, but it's incredibly frustrating to me when someone keeps trying to help in ways that are completely unhelpful, and then gets hurt when the person they're "helping" gets annoyed. 

And I'm totally cool with this being a permanent characteristic of Felicity's and one that doesn't need to be addressed or fixed. If it was something that happened a lot, I'd for sure think it needed to be addressed. But at the end of the episode, Felicity thanked him for putting up with her freakout, thereby acknowledging that it was a freakout and not normal, rational behavior. And she also made peace with her mom, who she'd been short with and also snapped at with the whole "I'm not ten" snottiness when her mom tried to bring her some warm milk. It was a tiny arc, but I think it was indeed an arc. 

• Love 13

In the past it seems like a lot of Felicity's popularity has come from her wit, the biting humor, even the sort of stealth insults she gets away with that most other characters on the show wouldn't. That's not indicative of a mean streak, she's never really trying to hurt anyone's feelings but is often trying to get a gentle jab in or make a point, and this has been a character trait since the beginning. When she is particularly frustrated or tired (or both at once, as she was this last time) the filter tends to break down and says what she's thinking without stopping to consider the consequences as much. She wasn't deliberately being mean to Oliver, she was worried about Ray, angry that she she couldn't figure out how to help him, and annoyed by the fact Oliver wasn't helping, which if she'd been thinking more clearly (like say after a shower and a nap, the exact same advice she gave to Ray) she would have realized he couldn't do anything more than she could until they had solid evidence to work on. Felicity Smoak is not a mean person. If she were, Star City would be in a lot of trouble, because of how smart she is and the information and tech she has access to she would make one hell of a supervillain. 

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 10

For me, what made her "thank you" really an apology wasn't just the words but the facial expressions that went along with it.

Exactly. Plus she looked contrite at the beginning of the ep when Oliver reacted calmly to her snark about him learning to code. That one looked as a silent I'm-sorry to me too.
  • Love 2

Maybe it's just semantics.  I don't think Felicity has a cruel streak or that she acted that cruelly to Oliver in this episode - but I can understand and respect why others may disagree.  :)

I really think this is what it is--a difference in connotation of the word, that's all.

I guess I just don't see anything Felicity did as beating up on Oliver or even anything that really needed apologizing for. I definitely understand how it could rub some people the wrong way that he ended up apologizing at the end and she didn't, but I actually think that was kind of warranted.

I've mentioned how I think that Oliver--as helpful as he was trying to be--was not actually helping, but was in fact just making what was already a stressful situation for Felicity even more stressful (by distracting her from her work of finding Ray, with bringing her mom to town, etc.). I'm sure I'm projecting all over the place here, but it's incredibly frustrating to me when someone keeps trying to help in ways that are completely unhelpful, and then gets hurt when the person they're "helping" gets annoyed.

Maybe this is at the heart of it too--which behavior you find more relatable vs. more irksome. I relate to both types of behavior, but find Felicity's more damaging/ upsetting, while others may feel the opposite, or may feel that neither is particularly bad, and that's cool, too. (And of course, I too blame the writing for my issues with the handling of this in this episode, and don't plan to, like, hold this against the character going forward. I'll probably just write a fix-it fic in my head where she says all the things I wish she'd said on-screen, and feel much better about it all. :))

• Love 6

The lack of a verbal 'I'm sorry' actually made the scene more intimate for me. In real life, you don't always say you are sorry when you get into a tif with your significant loves ones when you misbehave. If so there would always be a constant stream of apologizes. At a certain point, it's more a physical gesture or a look that conveys the apology. I was fine with that last scene. 

That beginning said, I really do understand why people would have preferred one. 

• Love 6

I think my little biff here is I'm greedy for MORE FELICITY character exploration. LOTS AND LOTS MORE, GIMME. So the fact that they gave her this trait -- one that makes me super uncomfortable to watch, natch -- turns into me wanting them to delve deeper into exploring it... and that's not Arrow.

Upon more rewatches, I am pretty good with the lack of a verbal apology. Her demeanor when she says "mini gargantuan freak out" has "please forgive me" written all over her face and body language.

• Love 5

Yeah, I would have preferred an "I'm sorry." It's two words. It wouldn't have been difficult to add one into the dialogue. But at the same time you can see in her expression that she feels bad about her freak out and she's thankful for him being so understanding. So it's not something I'm gonna get hung up on. We all know Felicity is not a mean person. It just seems like lack of sleep and frustration and fear and guilt kind of exacerbates her snappiness. It's human. I can deal with that. 

I'm still wanting a "I'm Sorry" for the things she said to him during their fight about RP in 317. She accused him of stuff that was out of line. RP got one that ep when he didn't even need/deserve one (or at least he should have been the first to apologize), I don't know why OQ did not. She thanked him then too, so maybe that is part of their thing. So I guess I'm not gonna get hung up on her not saying "I'm Sorry" in 406, when some of the stuff she said was truthful and as bitchy she was, she had some valid & human explanations for why it occurred. She had none of the reasons in 317. But its probably all water under the bridge at this point. The character responded in a human fashion and humans make mistakes.

Even if she never verbally told OQ she was "I'm Sorry" in 406, her non-verbal interaction implied that she was sorry and asking for forgiveness. Also more importantly she prioritized talking to OQ about it, so for me that was more important than the sorry because them talking through their issues makes their characters and their relationship stronger. It also shows some humility, thanking him in the manner in which she did implied that she acknowledged she had acted a little crazy. OQ or the show may not have held her responsible for her actions, but FS did by thanking OQ in the manner she did. For me it was different than the generic thank you LL gave OQ last week, which didn't acknowledge that the reasons behind why a thank you was even necessary. FS just apologizing would have felt a little flat for me without the heartfelt thank you And as we know time is limited on ARROW. So if we only have so much time, then I appreciate the writers giving us the talk & a thank you. I can always imagine a post-coital I'm sorry, after some "inappropriate for the CW" activities ;)

• Love 4

I really like FS in black. I know people like her colorful ensembles (which I do as well). But she looked great in that tight black outfit she wore in the final scenes of 406 and while on the mission.

Sorta makes me wish she could be an in the field superhero clad in black fighting along TA from time to time as well. I know her brains are her superpower and she is invaluable to TA. But girl looks good in tight black.

• Love 2

Wow. EBR looks incredible. I'm so happy she's doing some photoshoots and getting out there a bit more. I only wish they did a photoshoot with EBR and SA. Seriously, photo them hugging or whatever like they do with Mulder and Scully and slap them on the front of the TV Guide and you've got a huge seller right there. Still baffled why they haven't done that. CW PR SUCKS.

Anyway, I love Felicity with her hair down but I also love the ponytail (and I think she would be more comfortable with her hair up when she's working anyway). But my grumble as a selfish Olicity fan would be that I hope they eventually do a kissing scene where she has her hair in a ponytail because twice now her hair is covering her face and you can see EBR moving it out of the way so the camera can get the good shot. Haha. 

Edited by Guest

The Vampire Diaries trio had a cover (and 2 variants) on an issue of Entertainment Weekly as well as several on TV Guide. As far as I can tell, Arrow has only been on the cover of TV Guide, and even then, it's just SA.

In any case, even if Arrow were popular enough to get on magazine covers, I doubt the CW wants to focus on the main couple, unfortunately. They seem single-mindedly determined to push the action hero! comics! masks! angle to get more men to watch the network.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

The Vampire Diaries trio had a cover (and 2 variants) on an issue of Entertainment Weekly as well as several on TV Guide. As far as I can tell, Arrow has only been on the cover of TV Guide, and even then, it's just SA.

In any case, even if Arrow were popular enough to get on magazine covers, I doubt the CW wants to focus on the main couple, unfortunately. They seem single-mindedly determined to push the action hero! comics! masks! angle to get more men to watch the network.

This is true. If it was me, I'd do a 'collect all covers/issues' type thing where there's different covers and fans can pick and choose which one they want to buy. Action-y ones, ship ones. Group shots. Single character shots. There's so much promo potential and we just never see it. It's a shame.

Do we think the timing of some of these interviews have to do with Brooklyn and not Arrow? Because unless we are missing a major spoiler the timing of her being on these shows for Arrow is odd, most of the upcoming episodes do not seem to be FS-centric.

Do we think the timing of some of these interviews have to do with Brooklyn and not Arrow? Because unless we are missing a major spoiler the timing of her being on these shows for Arrow is odd, most of the upcoming episodes do not seem to be FS-centric.

Possibly - Brooklyn opens in limited release this weekend, right? And Fox Searchlight is pushing the Oscar buzz for Saoirse Ronan.  But based just on the trailers, it looks like EBR's role in Brooklyn is pretty small, so it's not clear to me how much Fox Searchlight was involved with setting up these interviews. 

• Love 1

Possibly - Brooklyn opens in limited release this weekend, right? And Fox Searchlight is pushing the Oscar buzz for Saoirse Ronan.  But based just on the trailers, it looks like EBR's role in Brooklyn is pretty small, so it's not clear to me how much Fox Searchlight was involved with setting up these interviews. 

Perhaps they are trying to pull in the ARROW crowd. Her role is small in Brooklyn, but she might be easier to secure than some of the other talent that is in it. And she has a fan base. If EBR does the interview now, she can talk about both projects. It’s a win-win. Not sure why CW/WB/DC would bother to arrange for the interviews at this time. But I could see her management using the combination of the movie & Arrow to leverage an interview. Either way I’m excited for the interviews.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

Ah, my bad. In checking I see that Brooklyn's official U.S. release was Sundance last January; limited release started earlier this month at film festivals and selected theatres.

In any case, I think the PR focus for Brooklyn is going to stay on Saorise Ronan and the various Acclaimed British Character actors like Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters.

I wonder if EBR recently got a new agent or something because I don't think I've ever seen her promote herself as much as she's being doing lately (and that's saying something considering all she did was tweet that 406 was her fave episode LOL!) and I've not seen many interviews happening all at once. It's great. She should put herself out there a bit more. 

I just hope it's not a sign of something more ominous.

Well, seeing as they haven't filmed any death scenes yet (presumably because whoever dies doesn't die until 419 or 420) then I don't think it's a sign of anything except EBR maybe having a better agent who knows what the hell they're doing. They've always seemed kind of useless in promoting her, IMO. Also it seems like the episode they're filming at the moment is Diggle heavy so it could be that she's just not needed on set much. I wouldn't worry about it.

They didn't ramp up promotion with Colton Haynes before he left.

If they do think promotion may sell the shocking death, I don't see them needing to do that with EBR/Felicity. She is getting all the heavy signs on the show because they know that it would carry the most weight/get the most buzz. That's free right there.

Now if it's PB or even KC, I can see them doing some media blitz leading up to the death.

• Love 1

I don't think EBR has a big enough part in Brooklyn to do official promo for it. ET used an Arrow promo shot to ask for Twitter questions, and KTLA advertised her appearance as "Arrow fan favorite," so I'm pretty sure these interviews are for Arrow.

Wouldn't be the first time. Cristin Milioti did press for Wolf of Wall Street even though she had a minor role.
  • Love 1

Like it or not from the show and her character is the most recognized for females. It's just a given. Her action figure is selling out. Funko pop is taking pre-orders for her figure. She's on a roll.

Edited by EmilyBettFan

I really do think Brooklyn has to do with at least the interview in LA.  They said it had some kind of premier or opening that night before, hence why she was even in town.  So while her part in the movie is small, it was still a good time to do an interview.  They also this week are really starting to promote the crossover and they spent time on the interview talking about that as well.  Just good timing all around. 

• Love 1
I really do think Brooklyn has to do with at least the interview in LA.  They said it had some kind of premier or opening that night before, hence why she was even in town.  So while her part in the movie is small, it was still a good time to do an interview.  They also this week are really starting to promote the crossover and they spent time on the interview talking about that as well.  Just good timing all around.

Unless there's a different interview floating around, the one I watched doesn't say anything about Brooklyn having a premier or opening.  EBR says she just watched it last night but that doesn't mean it was at a premiere or opening.  As far as I know Brooklyn has been showing in the US for a good week or 2 now.

That very much appears to have been an Arrow interview, set up by The CW. I don't think Brooklyn factored into any decision to send EBR to do media with KTLA or ET.  They've sent actors to KTLA to promote Arrow before (SA, CL, BR).

Edited by Morrigan2575

In 4x06 when Felicity was scared of losing herself in Oliver, I think that was the most I've ever related to her as a character. With Oliver lying to her it really does play into all of her issues of trust. Her reaction in the alt timeline was OTT OOC at that moment because plot but that reaction would make sense after he lies to her for months (please don't be months).

Thinking about her fear in 4x06 and how much I related to that, I personally would find it difficult to trust Oliver again, but felicity is a better person than me so I am interested in seeing how she handles this. I really want her to grow from this storyline but still be in character and keep her integrity. I wonder if I'm asking for too much.

• Love 1

Yeah, I think her initial reaction where they have that argument was pretty over the top. I wasn't sure where that came from - saying that he'd never trust her. I suppose I can reason that she might be thinking if he didn't tell her something so big and life changing as having a child, what else would he keep from her? So I guess I can understand looking at it that way.

But knowing he'd only just found out, I'm not sure if she would have reacted that way. It felt OOC to me because, IMO, she would have said something like 'I can't believe you didn't trust me with this after everything we've been through' or maybe something like 'I thought we were beyond the secrets and lies' before walking away for some air like she usually does. Something to show her disappointment rather than just attack him. 

Saying all that, considering he still doesn't tell her the truth, she was right to say he doesn't trust her because if he really did, he would have told her and asked her to keep it a secret too. It could have been just between them like, 'I'm telling you this even though I shouldn't because I love and trust you with everything.'

It's just baffling to me that he refuses to be honest with the woman he loves and wants to marry. Felicity wouldn't have told anyone. I know there's the argument that Oliver didn't want to run the risk of Samantha then finding out and keeping his son from him. But again, IMO, that just proves he doesn't trust Felicity enough to risk it. I don't know. I'm still figuring out how I feel about that. 

But this was really unfair to Felicity. They did throw her under the bus here so it doesn't make me hopeful for the fallout. 

I didn't think Felicity's initial reaction was over the top.   Timing is not always ideal.  I think she was angry that Oliver had Barry helping him figure out if the kid was his.  That he didn't come to her to help him figure the whole mess out.   Again it would have been nice if the whole thing could have happened when they weren't dealing with Vandal Savage but, such is life.  The next time we see Felicity, she is at her computer working with everyone so I have know doubt that she got back to business as it were but away from everyone else, when it was just the two of them, she let out how she was feeling.   That part didn't bother me, though I think this all should have played out in a smaller crossover (maybe if it had been just Barry with know Hawks or Cisco things to give screentime too).

And I'm honestly not to down on Oliver, at least not the way the rest of fandom seems to be.  He also literally just found out about his kid.  He probably hasn't even spent a cumulative 48 hours of time with the kid, he has to process himself.  To say nothing of stopping a milleniums old immortal.

Another thing that should be considered is the new heiarchy in Oliver's life.   The kid (and in a way) his mother now kind of come before Felicity.  If Oliver tried to force his way into their (Samantha and Son) lives (by means of the court) I doubt that kid would take well to how the whole thing would upset his mother, who's been his sole provider and caregiver for his entire life.   It's not fair but in these circumstance, it is her party.   I think it's very human of Oliver to hesitate in telling Felicity.  For all her amazing qualities, I still maintain that she can be quite childish on occasion (still love her), in certain ways, even more than Oliver. IMO.

Still really liked their closing scene.

I kind of discount the timeline that got erased because everything was turned up to MAX MELODRAMA to justify the time travel shenanigans... These writers are the worst.

But the specific lie Oliver told Felicity makes me A-okay with her blowing a fuse. Because it was really extra mega douchey of Oliver to concoct that lie about asking Barry to test DNA about a DD lead. Like. Are you fucking kidding me, this is the lie you tell Felicity, when, you know, if you actually had a lead on DD that needed DNA testing you would ask HER to check it out, and not Barry? That was out of this world levels of disrespecting Felicity's intelligence right there.

• Love 10

And I'm honestly not to down on Oliver, at least not the way the rest of fandom seems to be.  He also literally just found out about his kid.  He probably hasn't even spent a cumulative 48 hours of time with the kid, he has to process himself.  To say nothing of stopping a milleniums old immortal.

That'd be fine.  The problem is that he's going to spend weeks, probably months, continuing the lie, and piling more and more lies on top every time he visits the kid.

If he tells her in the next episode, I'd be totally fine with him.  I'd personally apologize to Guggie.  I'd also eat my hat.  

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

It came up in a fan fic... and I honestly haven't been paying close attention, but is FS still wearing her industrial piercing as much as she used to? I know I've seen it this season... however I don't feel like its an every episode thing. Maybe because her hair is down more that I don't pay attention to it. But most body piercings close up if you don't keep the jewelry in.

It came up in a fan fic... and I honestly haven't been paying close attention, but is FS still wearing her industrial piercing as much as she used to? I know I've seen it this season... however I don't feel like its an every episode thing. Maybe because her hair is down more that I don't pay attention to it. But most body piercings close up if you don't keep the jewelry in.

I'm pretty sure EBR just keeps it in all the time. It's what I do, and there's really no reason to take it out now they've established it as a character trait (sort of). 

I'm pretty sure EBR just keeps it in all the time. It's what I do, and there's really no reason to take it out now they've established it as a character trait (sort of). 

Thanks! That's what I figured. The only time I took out my nose piercing was when I was forced to for my clinicals & then when I was interviewing for jobs.  I just wasn't sure if it was a new CEO thing that she took it out, but I remember it in 401. I just don't recall seeing it as much as we used too which is why I asked. It must just be how they are styling her hair.

Edited by kismet

God, my girlcrush is at DEFCON1 right now. Emily was so luminous and gorgeous in this episode, and her acting was so on point. Ironically, I think she showed tonight why Felicity the writers would never kill Felicity off. They need her too much for comical moments and honest, touching moments, and for lighting Oliver's way.

I had other stuff to say, but all I can process right now is squeeeeeee. Love her so much.

• Love 16