Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

I inherited a skirt just like that from my mother and just this morning as I was doing the twice annual summer/winter clothes exchange, I thought I should give it away.  But now I'm having second thoughts.

Werk it.

• Love 3

Yasssss! 

I was actually watching a few Olicity clips from s1 the other day (Bless Olicity Queen on youtube!) and I noticed a difference in Felicity especially. She does seem more confident now, in herself and her abilities. I always remember that meek little fist bump of the air she does sometime in s1 when she hacked into something and now she's jumping out of her seat and dropping all the mics and it's awesome!

1x22, the caper at Merlyn Global. It is not something or other, it is one of the greatest things this show has done. And you can't identify it. For shame. ;)

I can say nothing nice about her hair in s3, so I will have to be polite and say nothing.

I can. It was bee-yoo-tiful on the first date. No wonder Oliver was a mess when he sat down. He actually kept his cool pretty well there since he wasn't all, "You're so pretty, can I just roll around in your sunshine hair and have it warm my marred skin and tortured soul  forever and ever?" Also, the post-coital scene. So, so pretty.

The white skirt in 4x01, while good in theory, made her look (impossible, I know) overweight.

I like Felicity's clothes when they're attractive and comfortable, like Thea's, but not when they go Fashion over Sense.  When I saw the pants and jacket in 3x22, I had such a feeling of relief.

Maybe it's a screen width thing? She looked really fit and bangin' in that skirt on mine. I don't really get why she was wearing it for a cross counry travel, but it fit her and accentuated her assets really well from where I was sitting.

Yes, seeing her in jeans was a really nice change of pace. Although I do admit that I like that she's never been afraid to show her femininity in her appearance.

• Love 4

I don't really get why she was wearing it for a cross counry travel, but it fit her and accentuated her assets really well from where I was sitting.

Oh my gosh yeees someone brought it up. What was up with her travel clothes? I tried to remember if maybe she made a stop at Palmer Tech but on rewatch it, I don't think she did.

And I totally agree, she looked fantastic in that outfit from where I sat.

• Love 3

There's a good chance she traveled by private or chartered jet, which is much more comfy than commercial travel, so I can handwave her travel outfit.  I wouldn't normally love the blue top because it's so low-cut, BUT EBR is pretty small in the breast department, meaning it looks cute/sexy, instead of kind of sleazy (I am the exact opposite of EBR in that way and I would look ridiculous and desperate in that top, but I thought she looked adorable).

My problem with most of her S3 clothes is that they were always about one size too small, and she looked pretty uncomfortable.  So far I'm digging her new look, especially her hair.  I am in love with her hair, and am actually not looking forward to the ponytails, because down and wavy looks so fabulous.  I also think they've dialed back the makeup a bit, which is good. 

• Love 3

Agreed. I think she's looked fantastic so far this season. And I agree that I'm not looking forward to a return to the ponytails. :( She looks gorgeous and grown up, and I'm all for it. And I didn't think the white skirt made her look overweight at all - I thought it looked great.

I think the too tight clothes actually started in season two, because I remember that color block dress early on....that thing looked excruciatingly tight.

Edited by Starfish35

I didn't really think her clothes in S3 were too small, but rather that a lot of them were the completely wrong cut for her and not flattering to her body type.

Completely agree on the issue of the top. It was adorable on her and wouldn't have worked on someone with a bigger chest. Or would have in an entirely different way.

• Love 2

1x22, the caper at Merlyn Global. It is not something or other, it is one of the greatest things this show has done. And you can't identify it. For shame. ;)

Haha, that's not actually the 'meek' fist bump I was thinking of! There's a 'blink and you'll miss it' one much earlier than that, I think. She's in the foundry at her desk and she barely fist bumps. I wish I knew where to find a gif of it! 

That clip led me to these Felicity training clips from S1 and S2...

Olicity 1.16 Part 1 Felicity Training With Diggle

Arrow 2x14 "Time of death" sexy Felicity Smoak is training + " what are you wearing "

• Love 3

That clip led me to these Felicity training clips from S1 and S2...

I wonder why Oliver was okay with Felicity getting a bit of training in s1 but suddenly really doesn't like the idea in s2. Actually, she wasn't even getting training in 214 until Sara gave her some pointers. It was more like keeping up her fitness and releasing some frustration. I don't think I ever really understood Oliver's expression. Does he just want her away from the danger?

My fanwank is Stephen Amell's fanwank: he said "because of the life that I lead" doesn't mean Sara because Sara can defend herself. It's insane troll logic, but if that's what he was motivating Oliver with, then Felicity training breaks his logic hardcore.

• Love 1

My fanwank is Stephen Amell's fanwank: he said "because of the life that I lead" doesn't mean Sara because Sara can defend herself. It's insane troll logic, but if that's what he was motivating Oliver with, then Felicity training breaks his logic hardcore.

Hmm. Yeah, that's a good point actually. Sara is okay to be in a relationship with at that point because she can defend herself (okay, SA, okay) but one look at Felicity in her cute workout clothes and he's like DANGER, DANGER, SHE'LL BE FIGHTING NEXT AND THEN WHAT'S MY EXCUSE ABORT ABORT! Haha. 

• Love 5

Was OQ ever really against her training? i don't remember him being against it in story, it was just something they never bothered to write into the script or show oft he screen. I remember him questioning what she was doing in the pink outfit - but it seemed more like he was uncomfortable in that he was attracted to her and tried to hide it by questioning her as a defense mechanism.

His "Because of the life I lead speech" was more about him and not wanting to disappoint her or break her heart because he was not able to be fully committed to a relationship. I never saw it as a danger thing.

I sorta want them to pick up with some hands-on training with her now that they are dating and she is more high profile. I feel like he would have no issue in seeing her in work-out clothes now because he is free to touch her and do whatever they want to do when they are "sweaty" ;)

• Love 2

In the Time of Death scene, I got the impression that he was all "why are you wearing workout clothes and not at your computer?  Don't you know your position here?"  She even told him that the programs were running but he wanted her sitting there, not wearing workout gear and learning how to hit the punching bag.

• Love 2

Was OQ ever really against her training? i don't remember him being against it in story, it was just something they never bothered to write into the script or show oft he screen. I remember him questioning what she was doing in the pink outfit - but it seemed more like he was uncomfortable in that he was attracted to her and tried to hide it by questioning her as a defense mechanism.

His "Because of the life I lead speech" was more about him and not wanting to disappoint her or break her heart because he was not able to be fully committed to a relationship. I never saw it as a danger thing.

I sorta want them to pick up with some hands-on training with her now that they are dating and she is more high profile. I feel like he would have no issue in seeing her in work-out clothes now because he is free to touch her and do whatever they want to do when they are "sweaty" ;)

It was never stated that he doesn't like her training. Ever. It's just he really didn't like the sight of her working out in her workout clothes, like a little sign of fitness meant she'd suddenly start wanting to go out in the field or something. I just wondered why, that's all.

I'd quite like a scene of them attempting to do some training, maybe some simple moves, and it just devolves into flirting and laughing and then a kiss-y sweaty mess on the floor. :D

In the Time of Death scene, I got the impression that he was all "why are you wearing workout clothes and not at your computer?  Don't you know your position here?"  She even told him that the programs were running but he wanted her sitting there, not wearing workout gear and learning how to hit the punching bag.

Ugh, that just makes it even worse, especially as we now know he had feelings for her at this time. But I agree though. He did say the computer stuff was what she did best. Ugh, Oliver. No. *shakes head*

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 5

Aw, yes. I really love how Oliver's little speech to Felicity helped her figure it out though. It was such a sweet role reversal kind of moment. And then they talk about it later at home. "You can always tell me about your day." Yassss.

But I think that's part of Felicity's character now. She'll always try to find another way if she can help it. And even if it might have been better business sense to cut back on some employees, at least temporarily, she chose to take a risk in another way. I admire that about her character.

• Love 4

I always read him as being turned on as well. Like, geez, Felicity, you're messing with my plans there. Am I drooling?

I'd quite like a scene of them attempting to do some training, maybe some simple moves, and it just devolves into flirting and laughing and then a kiss-y sweaty mess on the floor. :D

Oh, I have something in my head where Felicity's training with someone (preferably John) and Oliver walks up and is slightly confused. I could have helped you with that if you wanted. Meaningful looks are exchanged and they both remember how things went down when they attempted that. Oliver knows what he did. ...Ooooor maybe not.

• Love 3

My fanwank has changed since WM said something about how, in the past, Oliver's always said "I can't be in love and be the Arrow at the same time," while current Oliver is going to try to do both.  (Official "A Sneak Peek at Arrow Season 4" video, page 21 of Spoilers thread). 

Now I think he meant that, "because of the life I lead," he can't be with someone he could fall in love with, but used the words "really care about" instead.  He cared about and loved Sara, but he wasn't in love with her.  However, he recognized that he could fall in love with Felicity if he let himself.

• Love 6

Imo, Oliver was already more than halfway in love with Felicity when he told her "because of the life that I lead". But up until that moment Felicity saw Isabel leaving his room, he wasn't even allowing himself to think about it.

And then a few weeks later, the idiot saw Felicity taking an interest in Barry. And then there's Felicity spending all of her free time with comatose boy, and Oliver... overcompensated.

• Love 5

It was never stated that he doesn't like her training. Ever. It's just he really didn't like the sight of her working out in her workout clothes, like a little sign of fitness meant she'd suddenly start wanting to go out in the field or something. I just wondered why, that's all.

Ugh, that just makes it even worse, especially as we now know he had feelings for her at this time. But I agree though. He did say the computer stuff was what she did best. Ugh, Oliver. No. *shakes head*

Like @bijoux said, I think it was primarily a turned on thing that he covered with a defense mechanism or his bad communication skills. It did not seem to be about protection or concern thing that she was going to want to go out in the field. Because he had no problem with her doing field work before in certain situations. It also to me didn't seem like he was trying to keep her in "her role" because of some machismo or anything like that. He was just surprised by what she was wearing, since he was starting to pay a lot more attention to what she was wearing.

Perhaps he was partially concerned though about having another newbie in the field. He cared about Roy the newbie and was concerned that he could get hurt. So maybe a part of him was concerned that she would want to be a fighter, and that could lead to her getting get hurt. Also losing her tech skills would put the team at a disadvantage. Her behind a computer is where her skills made the most tactical sense for success, and OQ is a tactical strategist. But now she might as well go in the field, since inexperience and lack of tactical planning is all the new rage on democratic TA.

If he was starting to have deep feelings for her, it would make sense that he would not want her in the field if she was not properly trained and could be a liability to herself or others. Nobody wants their loved ones to be in danger, if they can prevent it. But he has taken her out in the field multiple times in s1&2, and never really questioned or yelled at her for going out by herself in the field. The exception being the Tockman incident & even then it was not that she went into the field, it was that she didn't tell him, so it became a plan/team liability thing. But in the end, he told her she was always his girl - she as a person is his priority and concern, not her skill set. However, if she had demanded more training for whatever reason, even to possibly go into the field, I'm sure he would have provided the training. Because let's face it, he generally does whatever she asks. Which is why she will definitely get a code name.

• Love 5

My fanwank has changed since WM said something about how, in the past, Oliver's always said "I can't be in love and be the Arrow at the same time," while current Oliver is going to try to do both.  (Official "A Sneak Peek at Arrow Season 4" video, page 21 of Spoilers thread). 

Now I think he meant that, "because of the life I lead," he can't be with someone he could fall in love with, but used the words "really care about" instead.  He cared about and loved Sara, but he wasn't in love with her.  However, he recognized that he could fall in love with Felicity if he let himself.

Which is weird because Oliver probably already had strong feelings for Felicity at this point, although I don't think he fully realized or acknowledged it to himself. And then a couple of episodes later Felicity's being all flirty flirt with Barry and he doesn't like it. Poor boy was so confused.

• Love 2

Like @bijoux said, I think it was primarily a turned on thing that he covered with a defense mechanism or his bad communication skills. It did not seem to be about protection or concern thing that she was going to want to go out in the field. Because he had no problem with her doing field work before in certain situations. It also to me didn't seem like he was trying to keep her in "her role" because of some machismo or anything like that. He was just surprised by what she was wearing, since he was starting to pay a lot more attention to what she was wearing.

Perhaps he was partially concerned though about having another newbie in the field. He cared about Roy the newbie and was concerned that he could get hurt. So maybe a part of him was concerned that she would want to be a fighter, and that could lead to her getting get hurt. Also losing her tech skills would put the team at a disadvantage. Her behind a computer is where her skills made the most tactical sense for success, and OQ is a tactical strategist. But now she might as well go in the field, since inexperience and lack of tactical planning is all the new rage on democratic TA.

Okay so I refreshed my memory on the episode and I actually think the reason for his reaction is pretty simple as in 'Felicity should be at the computer, that's where she thrives' because this was the episode where Felicity felt some insecurities about her place on the team and they're never subtle about these things. So they had to hammer it home that Oliver felt she should only be hacking and finding out info and leaving the rest to them, which further played into Felicity's insecurity. 

Edited by Angel12d

I love that the poka dot shirt Felicity was wearing, she also worn in 2x06 when she was an EA to the CEO.

I like the parallel because that was the top she was wearing during the whole "Because of the life I lead" speech and now here they are so in love and supporting each other and damn right, Oliver did better.

You guys reeeally like to remind me of episodes I want to forget.

Sorry! It's actually not as bad as I remember tbh. Still awkward for Felicity but not terrible.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 4

Hahahaha no no need to apologise. But I really want to stay far away from that episode.

LOL, that's totally fair. It's not a great episode and is kind of cringey but I actually appreciate the character development now? I liked that Felicity felt some insecurities even though it was crazy because she's irreplaceable on the team. It's nice to see she has fears like that. Makes her more real.

Aaaaaand I just realized I'm still talking about an episode you don't want to talk about. I'mma stop! Hehe. :)

• Love 2

That episode is a nice reminder of how far both Felicity and Oliver have come, and is stark contrast to where they are now.  The clothes might be the same, as it were, but the people in them have truly grown up.

I think SA has said in interviews that the 'because of the life that I lead' bit was when Oliver was aware of his feelings for Felicity.  She, on the other hand, seemed unaware of his change (he certainly tried to keep things the way they'd been) and just wanted him to be happy because she felt he deserved to be.

Confident, flirty, poke him in th chest, slide into his personal space with a smile and head tilt Felicity was, IMO, always wired to be this way with him.  It's how she is with people she cares about, to an extent.  She was like this, EWWWWW, with Ray, too.  The difference now is the level of her confidence and knowing just how much Oliver loves her back.  She has never been shy to standing up to him and calling him out - but NOW, she's his full on, side by side partner.  He listened to her then and he listens to her now. 

Bottom line - I'm enjoying seeing how she's really hitting her stride now that she's confident along with all of her other attributes.  What a difference and it's glorious!

• Love 6

Felicity being CEO makes me yearn for Moira. I just think the two of them would've been fabulous in office scenes, personal talk about Oliver scenes, bank scenes with Walter, in the parking lot nods.

Felicity used her loud voice somewhat in the board meeting and it made me so proud. I am super excited to see where her storyline goes and her relationship with Oliver because their synchronicity is refreshing amidst the Team Arrow angst.

• Love 4

We were discussing the popularity of the name Felicity in reference to a possible code name. So I'm putting a copy of my post here for cross-reference if the popularity of the name Felicity ever comes up later.

It's not that common. It's ranked #497 in America and #133 in England in 2014. It reached its peak when the show Felicity aired in 1999 (up to #397 in US), but it has been rising. According to website reporting census data - in 1989 (yr FS was born) 52 girls were named Felicity. It ranked 2286. So yeah the chances of people narrowing down an actual Felicity (and it being FS) that works with GA is possible. Especially considering the fact that OQ is not great at hiding his identity, has been linked to the ARROW twice, had a close frame video feed of his face. And frankly the other TA members are all pretty well public figures & established in connection with OQ.

With the scrutiny that will come with the mayoral race, I

can see it becoming a problem that people link the two together (esp smart people like CH & DD). I'm all for fanfic coming to life on the screen with some media is FS cheating on OQ with GA, but I really think it is well past time they get her a code name. Simple fix in a rather complicated world, get on it writers.

reference - http://www.ourbabyna...popularity.html

• Love 1

Why not "Overwatch" for Felicity's code name? I'm sure MG would love the constant references to his book.

It sounds a little masculine for my tastes, but I could see MG not being able to resist. Hopefully, someone nixes it in the writers room. I don't want to hear SA/OQ yelling out Overwatch for the next so many seasons. Feels almost too militaristic for FS.

I'm partial to Evergreen. Well for starters, I'm biased because I thought of it. (If somebody else did before me, I apologize - I have no recollection of it being suggested before). But Evergreens are known for their resiliency & strength. They are one of the things in nature that retain their color through all seasons. In winter, they can be the only pretty thing to look at that is not dead, dying or hibernating. Evergreen is also related to faithfulness, generosity, belief and loyalty. It has also been connected to nobility & peace. Which is fitting since FS intentions are pure and about bringing peace to the city, even if she may use questionable methods. Evergreens are also a steady reminder of the steadfastness of nature. I think its a perfect analogy for the place FS holds on the team, as the steadfast, noble and generous force behind the masks. And the green on green symbolism is a little poetic too.

Also, I like Codebreaker - whoever came up with that one. I think it sounds cool and it is representative of the actual work she does for the team.

Okay, I don't like the new set-up where I can't see when a character thread has been updated. This is weird. How are we supposed to track conversations and threads when we can't see them?!

Anyway, code names for Felicity? I wouldn't be surprised if it's Watchtower or Overwatch. 

Felicity being CEO makes me yearn for Moira. I just think the two of them would've been fabulous in office scenes, personal talk about Oliver scenes, bank scenes with Walter, in the parking lot nods.

Felicity used her loud voice somewhat in the board meeting and it made me so proud. I am super excited to see where her storyline goes and her relationship with Oliver because their synchronicity is refreshing amidst the Team Arrow angst.

THIS. OMG, I really missed Moira in s3 because I like to think Moira and Felicity would have teamed up to take Malcolm down or something. And they would have clashed at first but then grown to respect each other. I actually think Felicity has a lot of Moira qualities. She's more morally gray than the fandom gives her credit.

Also loud voice Felicity in the board room was awesome. I can't imagine her doing that in s1, can you? At least not to a room full of board members. I know she stood up to Walter right off the bat because she was convinced she was being fired but I couldn't imagine her being so forthright in front of more than one person. I love how far she's come! 

• Love 4

I could always see her losing her loud voice. I'm not sure if I would have believed it as much. One of FS's superpowers I think is for people to underestimate her before she turns around and metaphorically kickass. I'm glad to see that is still happening on the show and she is still kicking ass & taking names.

Moira, every time I see her name I'm just sad. :( I wish they had given Jeri Ryan a wig, so even the physical appearance didn't remind me of MQ. She would have been an amazing asset to the show. Her relationship with FS, is one I will forever be bummed/pissed that I will never get to see. Maybe that is why I enjoyed that OQ was going to give FS his mother ring. A lot of MQ's good qualities are present in FS. Her loyalty, her fierce protection of loved ones, her mind & her heart. And I do agree they both operate on a morally grey zone. MQ may have made more poor decisions. But FS to me has always been the morally greyest of OTA for me. In many ways JD & OQ are more inflexible with their morality codes.

• Love 1

I think Felicity is definitely less morally conflicted on the team. She is very means to an end oriented. Except in her refusal to fire people.

As for codenames, I'd be okay with Firewall. Or something similarly techy. Not Proxy.

I feel like OQ is more means to an end. She is more conditional in what means to what ends; which is why I think she is more morally flexible. If she was a means to an end person, she would have been on board with the whole MM plan. She has a strong tendency to lean towards means to end, but it is not necessarily always her default or go to setting.

Firewall is okay too, although it makes me think of the Pitbull Fireball song. I feel like a comedian or SNL did a skit that used his song and turned it say Firewall instead. But I could see tech genius, last name Smoak. Where there is Smoak there is fire. It has a nice ring.

Proxy is just horrible (no offense meant). But Proxy has too many other meaning legally, medically, etc.

• Love 2

This discussion is making me think of that scene in Scream 4 where Hayden Panettiere's character rattles off a huge list of horror movies while ghostface is asking her a bunch of questions. I'd like a similar scene on Arrow. Obviously a more lighthearted, relaxed version though, where Oliver asks Felicity what her code name would be and she rattles off a huge list of options because you just know she has a bunch of ideas. 

• Love 6

Firewall is okay too, although it makes me think of the Pitbull Fireball song. I feel like a comedian or SNL did a skit that used his song and turned it say Firewall instead. But I could see tech genius, last name Smoak. Where there is Smoak there is fire. It has a nice ring.

Proxy is just horrible (no offense meant). But Proxy has too many other meaning legally, medically, etc.

No offense taken.

And since I love parodies, was this what you saw?

https://youtu.be/FUyaItsRInQ

• Love 1

Lighthouse.

I like it, but can you give your rationale? It makes sense she watches over them from a far and keeps them safe. But is there another rationale? Also it felt like a coastal thing & SC felt very metropolitan; and it doesn't seem like water & coasts always agree with O/F.

I think they will give Felicity the code name watchtower or lighthouse or Beacon. Something in that area. I don't think they will give her a computer name but maybe. Hacking and computer is her main job on the team.

This discussion is making me think of that scene in Scream 4 where Hayden Panettiere's character rattles off a huge list of horror movies while ghostface is asking her a bunch of questions. I'd like a similar scene on Arrow. Obviously a more lighthearted, relaxed version though, where Oliver asks Felicity what her code name would be and she rattles off a huge list of options because you just know she has a bunch of ideas. 

Yes! I want this. Maybe this is why the writers room was asking for suggestions. :)