Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/11/2021 at 11:11 AM, JudyObscure said:

Even Dr. Tolin who is my sweet baboo got on my nerves this time.

I didn't really get this before, but this last "Dolores" episode I was getting a Michael "The Commish/Gotham" Chiklis vibe from Dr. Tolin. Something about the broad stance and square jaw. 😄

Commish-Tolin.jpg

• LOL 5

Cobra is already showing what a nasty, vicious person he is.   Cobra is totally bombed.      Dr. Tobin needs to get a clue.     I'm amazed at the stuffed trailers, out buildings, all of the cars all over the property, and how much money that cost. 

Dorothy's lucky that house didn't fall on her.   Even the crew member putting up the temporary support for the porch looked nervous.    

That mobile home is disgusting.    Dorothy still thinks that Cobra is going to get rid of stuff, she's wrong.  Now Cobra shows what he's really like.    If the girlfriend (Tykarra) is smart, she'll tell her boyfriend she's out of there, and will never be on this property again.     

I wish they would take everything down with that excavator, haul it away, and then work on that nasty pond.   

I love the son's girlfriend, Tykarra, is the only sensible one on the set.   She's not taking any c$*# off of Cobra.   

The doctor and Dorothy put up with way too much from hoarders, and the doctor is trying to reason with someone who is not in touch with reality. 

On Day 3, and nothing is happening.   He's keeping everything.

William is going to have to choose, either his father's pile of garbage, or his girlfriend and baby.    If William grows a spine, and leaves, and refuses to come back, I'll cheer.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I would not be bringing a kid anywhere near that place.

Oh, jeez, there's a cat, too.

Starting the day with diabetic subject hung over in the car at noon. Is this a first?

Anyone catch how old this guy is?

• Love 3

I love Tykarra (the son's girlfriend).  She's about the only person that laid it on the line with a hoarder on this show, ever.   The others all backed down.    I love that she's protecting her baby, and the son better back her up. 

I'm always amazed at the clean up crew going into a house like Cobra's, and having almost no protection.  That house, and the out buildings all need to go in a dumpster. 

Dr. Tolin's ridiculous, he kissed the a## of every hoarder he meets.  Dorothy's just as bad, she tries to reason, and persuade people who aren't rational.  

I have to laugh at Cobra's delusions about valuable collectibles in that house, it's all worthless.       So were his cars.  

Cobra will be junking the property up the second the cameras leave.    The son needs to leave, and lead his own life.   You can't make someone take care of their health.     That house is beyond falling down, and needs to be razed, and hauled away.  

Who does Dorothy think she's kidding?   That house isn't safe to be in, let alone work on.   

For anyone wondering about getting left a hoarder house, no one can make you accept it.   You just refuse the 'gift' of inheritance, and then it's either other heirs issue, or goes to the state, or the mortgage company, and isn't your problem.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love Tykarra (the son's girlfriend).  She's about the only person that laid it on the line with a hoarder on this show, ever.   The others all backed down.    I love that she's protecting her baby, and the son better back her up. 

I like her, too. And she's done it without getting mad and yelling; you can tell she's frustrated, but she's remained calm so far.

• Love 2

So they haul a new washer in, right next to a pile of moldy clothes.      That house is still a death trap.   One good breeze, and crunch.    Dorothy certainly is putting the best face on the new furniture.    The second floor and attic are still trashed, the place leaks like a sieve, and the electrical needs to be redone, the roof needs a total replacement, and I bet the walls are full of mold.  

BSOJ update-Cobra is doing aftercare and therapy.  William is trying to fix the house, the baby girl was born, and Tykarra and WIlliam are moving onto the property soon. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Probably late 50s at least. He said his son was born in 83. 

Capt. Jack Sparrow, Sr. looks as if he is in his late 70s!

Wonder how much that 37 acre property is worth. It was in some beautiful countryside.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

there's a cat, too.

Two cats: gray striped cat drinking water from a something in the living room and an orange tabby out in the rain.  I bet they got tired of eating rodents.

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love the son's girlfriend, Tykarra, is the only sensible one on the set.   She's not taking any c$*# off of Cobra.   

Run, Tykarra, run. I'll buy you a houndstooth fedora.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Anyone catch how old this guy is?

Couldn't be younger than 50s

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Dr. Tolin's ridiculous, he kissed the a## of every hoarder he meets.  Dorothy's just as bad, she tries to reason, and persuade people who aren't rational.  

They are so afraid of a suicide (which happened one time with an off camera Dr. Zazio client, if I remember and read correctly).  But their gentle treatments don't get respect from their clients.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That house is beyond falling down, and needs to be razed, and hauled away.  

YES.  I was so damned bothered by Dorothy gushing at the end about how wonderful the first floor was.  We ALL had seen the water coming through the roof and through the walls and the horrific exposed wires.  First you rebuild the side wall, then the roof, and then what's under it.  That first floor was going to be ruined by the next rainfall. Even through somebody put a new blue tarp on the building for the drone footage.

53 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The second floor and attic are still trashed, the place leaks like a sieve, and the electrical needs to be redone, the roof needs a total replacement, and I bet the walls are full of mold.  

Only upside, the mold will mostly be gone with all the rotted lumber and destroyed ?sheetrock.

Edited by enoughcats
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Two cats: gray striped cat drinking water from a something in the living room and an orange tabby out in the rain.  I bet they got tired of eating rodents.

I saw the orange one later. They looked young. Poor babies. I wonder if there are others. I wonder if they're really his cats or just strays that he feeds (pretty sure I saw a couple big cat food bags at one point).

6 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Couldn't be younger than 50s

Yeah, I figured late 50s/early 60s, at least, since the son is late 30s, but I was wondering if he was older; I have a feeling he's younger than he looks.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

They are so afraid of a suicide (which happened one time with an off camera Dr. Zazio client, if I remember and read correctly).  But their gentle treatments don't get respect from their clients.

Wow, I didn't know or recall that about a suicide attempt and "The Zaz". But I found this which might be the scenario you're thinking of. 😞

Not making light of that, but that article contained a sentence which had me chuckling:

"The home was filled with fecal matter and roaches amidst the general filth."

Ah yes, just the "general filth". The highly non-specific filth. I guess they got mighty specific with "fecal matter" and "roaches" so it's fair play to lump everything else into "general filth". 🤐

Edited by RobustRutabaga
  • Love 2
On 4/3/2021 at 4:35 PM, JudyObscure said:

My hoarder brother died about the same time as AZChristian's, but his house was left to his fellow-hoarder girlfriend.  She has another stuffed house from before they got together.  It just occurred to me that she might leave those houses to me as she is quite reclusive and doesn't have much family.

I wonder. Am I the only one here, who thinks she/he would enjoy clearing out a hoard?  I've always got a cathartic thrill from throwing things out and I can just imagine hiring a skip an filling it up as a fun thing.  But maybe not after the first day or so?  Thoughts?

I've helped clean my mother's hoard since she died last year and yes, as AZChristian mentioned, tossing some things out can be cathartic, but it definitely does not outweight the hassle of it all as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I like her, too. And she's done it without getting mad and yelling; you can tell she's frustrated, but she's remained calm so far.

Yes, Tykkara did what few people can do, and that's speak-up firmly, without first getting angry. She'll make a wonderful mother.  Now please ask one of those men with bulldozers to fill in the pond before he leaves, for the child's safety and for the health of the property.  

Dorothy re-earned her sainthood with this one.  Cobra was loving her hugs a little too much, but without them I don't think he would have co-operated at all.  There are so many desperately lonely old men, but you don't need to talk to them very long before you figure out why.  "We were soulmates, so happy together, it was the two of us against the world...then she tried to control me and I divorced her."  Right.  Got it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, Tykkara did what few people can do, and that's speak-up firmly, without first getting angry. She'll make a wonderful mother.  Now please ask one of those men with bulldozers to fill in the pond before he leaves, for the child's safety and for the health of the property.  

Ugh, that pond was so gross. I was wondering if it was actually intended to be a pond or if it was just a result of the general degradation of the property over time, until the end when had the fountain running, so I guess it is an intentional pond. Hopefully they can at least clean it up, but... I'm itchy just imagining the mosquitos in the summer.

43 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Ugh, that pond was so gross. I was wondering if it was actually intended to be a pond or if it was just a result of the general degradation of the property over time, until the end when had the fountain running, so I guess it is an intentional pond. Hopefully they can at least clean it up, but... I'm itchy just imagining the mosquitos in the summer.

It was a pond that was there. Cobra said he used to kayak or whatever and play there when he was a kid. You could see it in the background of some of the pics they showed of when he was a kid. It needs aeration, which they were doing at the end.  That will help it. I wish Tyreeka (sp?) would have just left. She's the only reasonable one in the bunch. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I wish Tyreeka (sp?) would have just left. She's the only reasonable one in the bunch. 

If they're gonna put a new mobile home on that property, she needs to be strict about keeping his stuff out of it, and off the surrounding yard where the baby will eventually be playing. Because that main house is never going to be clean and safe while he's living there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

If they're gonna put a new mobile home on that property, she needs to be strict about keeping his stuff out of it, and off the surrounding yard where the baby will eventually be playing. Because that main house is never going to be clean and safe while he's living there.

Amen. That whole property is never going to be clean and safe as long as Cobra is still alive.  

• Love 2

Buffalo Township is a township in Butler County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 7,307 at the 2010 census.

That's northeast of Pittsburg, and seems to be far enough away that it won't be a subdivision in anyone's lifetime. (We bought a Packard and a half from someone who lives an equal distance away from Pittsburg and it wasn't a growth area. The Packard disassembled finds our barn warmer in winter than PA.)

When  Dorothy reached out and hugged Cobra, I wondered if she had lost her sense of smell to Covid?  He wasn't anywhere close to clean, and the house had her grasping her facemask like a life preserver.  I was pleased to see that the workers who were condemned to the kitchen clean up were wearing seriously heavy duty masks.

Did I see that the fly encrusted fly paper strips were so fresh that they were still catching flys? 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Amen. That whole property is never going to be clean and safe as long as Cobra is still alive.  

I think they're counting on Cobra heading to the big wrestling ring in the sky sooner rather than later, which seems reasonable. 

• Love 2

If Fred/Cobra's as big a drinker as he appears to be, and that bad of a diabetic, then the son and Tykkara might be right about inheriting soon.  Of course, some of the ones you think won't last long outlive everyone else.  

I wonder if code enforcement or other potential sources of fines are possible?   If so, the son William would be smart to buy his own property nearby, and not move on to Cobra/Fred's property.    I see no way that the property will stay clean.   It would be cheaper and safer to bulldoze that house, and move another trailer in.   I can't imagine how much remediating the mold, rebuilding the frame, redoing the entire roof, and fixing everything will cost.   The second floor is still stuffed full of garbage too.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Pretty sure that won't be much longer. Unless Cobra is one of those drunks who is just pickled, like my FIL, who is in his 80s and is still drinking buckets of rum a day and still managing to stand upright and slur out words. I know there was diabetes in there, but lord knows what else, plus the fact that Cobra lives a lifestyle where sleeping in his truck until 12:30 seems normal and is "morning" for him. He seemed barely coherent and fragile, and honestly I'm not sure why they didn't just sit him in a chair where they couldn't hear him and raze the whole mess while he yelled and tried to stand up. NOBODY should be living in that house. It needs to be demolished and the whole fake happy-ish ending was ugh. 

The longer Dorothy does this, the more she treats these folks like children, which is fair, since they act like children when they don't get their way, but I feel like the less she believes in what she's saying the shriller she gets and I kinda miss 1.0 Dorothy. 

I feel like Corey Chalmers' semi-bitchy passive aggression might have actually worked better here, or maybe I just like seeing him roll his eyes and get exasperated. Then again I feel like episodes like this are a waste because clearly the entire property needed to be razed and cleared and all of the exercises were just pointless. All that time and energy for something that is still just a huge danger. 

I don't know what the next episode will bring but I hope it's less poop. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Stiggs said:

I don't know what the next episode will bring but I hope it's less poop.

It seems I might be the only one (or the only one who admits it), but I for one do wanna see filth ! I watch this show for the trash (no pun intended) factor. Where are the poop ladies ? The show has gotten so tame and boring lately !

Edited by Ligeia
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Holy crap-just watched this one. "Cobra" needs some teefs and is in bad shape for someone his age. I agree with the above posters-that house needs to be torn down-there is too much damage to justify repairing it and he probably doesn't have enough $$$ to fix it. I liked the girlfriend-very straightforward without being mean. His parents were hoarders too-it would be hard to change his ways. I hope the young couple got moved in and are happy with their new baby and don't let Grandpa near it unless he is sober and clean.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Maisiesmom said:

I hope the young couple got moved in and are happy with their new baby and don't let Grandpa near it unless he is sober and clean.

I was curious and did a little googling about the very wise daughter-in-law.  As they said, the baby was born about a week after filming but at this point - several months later - every picture of the baby shows her with supplemental oxygen tubes in her nostrils.  She seems happy and active, but there's no way I would allow a 100% healthy child anywhere near that property, much less one who apparently has some physical challenges.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:13 AM, Maisiesmom said:

Holy crap-just watched this one. "Cobra" needs some teefs and is in bad shape for someone his age. I agree with the above posters-that house needs to be torn down-there is too much damage to justify repairing it and he probably doesn't have enough $$$ to fix it. I liked the girlfriend-very straightforward without being mean. His parents were hoarders too-it would be hard to change his ways. I hope the young couple got moved in and are happy with their new baby and don't let Grandpa near it unless he is sober and clean.

Yes, "Teefs", that's what my mother's relatives said when they had their dentures out (they refused to ever get them adjusted or relined) so they slurred their words a lot,  they only wore the teeth to church, and to eat meals that had some texture.   They were from that part of PA also, so the regional accents, and expressions are familiar too.  

I really felt sorry for William and Tykarra, and hope they never let Cobra/Fred (that cracks me up, the scrap guy called him by his real name) move in, you know he'll trash their place too.   I'm sure his hygiene is awful too.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I couldn't really get into this one, partly because I could barely understand a word Cobra said.  We need subtitles for these mumblers! I mainly felt bad for the son, who looked pretty shell-shocked by the end. You could just see the enormity of his situation really start to hit him as they took the tour of the ruined upper level. I was also sad to hear Dorothy talk about her experience as a care-giver for three immediate family members, two of which have died. The experts never really talk about themselves (rightly so), and it was interesting to get a quick peek behind the curtain and realize just how much of her life she has devoted to helping other people. Her style might not be for everyone, but she gets mad respect from me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

We need subtitles for these mumblers!

Subtitles are there, all you have to do is find where your system hides them.  Sometimes it's through "extra" info, on Directv it's on the smaller print line under the title as you enter the site's offering that hour. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Subtitles are there, all you have to do is find where your system hides them.  Sometimes it's through "extra" info, on Directv it's on the smaller print line under the title as you enter the site's offering that hour. 

My Harmony remote (synced to our Cox cable box and our Samsung TVs) has an option to just click on "Closed Caption" in the little window.  I watch EVERYTHING with captions on.  I'm old.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, enoughcats said:

I, admittedly, enjoy some unintentional humor in the subtitles - like seeing how they described a piece of music - i.e. "gentle music". Pretty sure I've seen in the past, descriptors along the lines of "ominous string music", "eerie harsh music" and "fast-paced exciting music", etc.  Writing about music is difficult even for seasoned writers and musicians - it's so much an abstraction - so I guess I'm just curious to see how the "layperson" in the form of a transcriber chooses to interpret a music cue or stinger. Generally I'm pretty impressed at how they relayed the music's emotional intent.

I also enjoy seeing some moments with subtitles on because (I admit it's pretty juvenile!) I wonder how what I just heard would look in print. Like this moment from the "Cobra" episode: 😁

Hoarders-Cobra-CC.jpg

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I did not watch this week's episode as soon as they showed that the guy had pets, but I wanted to come here and mention that Dolores' episode in particular, for some reason, had me looking up 1 800 GOT JUNK. I have a garage with 20 years full of useless stuff in it, I made an appointment online, and they came out, used COVID regulations, took my stuff, swept up after themselves, and now I have a beautiful garage. Every episode of this show I think I should call them, and wow, I am so glad I did. They charge by how full their truck gets, in case anyone here has the same idea.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 15

Hi guys. I haven't been here in ages. Glad I remembered my username and pw!

Anyway, the reason I signed in:  I've got TLC on in the background and "Hoarding: Buried Alive" is on all afternoon. The episode on right now has a woman named Anne who looked very familiar to me. After a minute I realized she was Sandra from Hoarders - the one who was a former interior designer living in a huge mansion that was bought by a gay couple.  Remember her?

But on "Buried Alive" her name is Anne and she lives in a duplex and has two daughters. 😳WTF!!  I googled Sandra/Anne to see if anyone else noticed that it's the same woman playing two different characters on two different shows, but didn't see any discussion about it anywhere.

Anyone have an idea what the deal is with this?🤔

ETA: The "Buried Alive" episode with Anne is Season 4, Ep14 - for anyone interested. I googled images of both women but only found ones of Sandra ... and now I'm thinking maybe  they're not the same woman - they only look very much alike (?). They even wear the same beanie and have the same haughty attitude.  LOL, sorry for this weird post. I am driving myself a bit crazy with this!

Edited by deedee2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Subtitles are there, all you have to do is find where your system hides them. 

Thanks, I'll look again. I use subtitles on many of my streaming services, but they're not easy to find on my regular tv!

8 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I did not watch this week's episode as soon as they showed that the guy had pets, but I wanted to come here and mention that Dolores' episode in particular, for some reason, had me looking up 1 800 GOT JUNK. I have a garage with 20 years full of useless stuff in it, I made an appointment online, and they came out, used COVID regulations, took my stuff, swept up after themselves, and now I have a beautiful garage. Every episode of this show I think I should call them, and wow, I am so glad I did. They charge by how full their truck gets, in case anyone here has the same idea.

I used them when I moved out of my townhouse and had the same experience - very nice, professional and did good, fast work. 

ETA: The "Buried Alive" episode with Anne is Season 4, Ep14 - for anyone interested. I googled images of both women but only found ones of Sandra ... and now I'm thinking maybe  they're not the same woman - they only look very much alike (?). They even wear the same beanie and have the same haughty attitude.  LOL, sorry for this weird post. I am driving myself a bit crazy with this!

Identical twins, perhaps separated at birth?

Edited by Elizzikra
  • LOL 5
14 hours ago, RobustRutabaga said:

I, admittedly, enjoy some unintentional humor in the subtitles - like seeing how they described a piece of music - i.e. "gentle music". Pretty sure I've seen in the past, descriptors along the lines of "ominous string music", "eerie harsh music" and "fast-paced exciting music", etc. 

My favourite is "deliberative music" 😄

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I feel very weird defending Cobra here, because like all of our hoarders, he was not a particularly nice guy, but when they found him in the car, I think the problem was that he was having a severe hypoglycaemic reaction (low blood sugar). The giveaway for me is how he quickly went back to normal (such as that was) once they got food into him. If he had been completely plotzed, they would have just had to wait it out. I'm a type 1 diabetic so I have more of these reactions and they do feel and look very much like being drunk (and the lower the blood sugar, the more drunk you seem).

Edited by satrunrose
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
On 4/13/2021 at 9:24 AM, enoughcats said:

That's northeast of Pittsburg, and seems to be far enough away that it won't be a subdivision in anyone's lifetime.

There are several Buffalo Townships in PA.  There is one right down the road from me.  But Cobra is in a different one.

Buffalo Township is a township in Perry County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 1219 at the 2010 census

It's very close to Harrisburg, our state capital.  Quite a distance from Pittsburgh.  Closest major city would be Baltimore.  Very rural area.  The mini Statue Of Liberty shown in the beginning is on the Susquehanna.  Drove past it today - twice.  This is the closest Hoarders has gotten to me (about an hour).  It's the kind of place where you go into a business or restaurant and people know you don't live there.  There used to be a restaurant near there that was always crowded so we stopped once.  Everyone looked at us when we walked in.  My husband joked we should try to find Cobra today, but he knows we would never find it.

I got a little excited when I saw the people who brought his appliances were the same people who I bought my portable dishwasher from (Teates Appliances).  Great prices and service.

Most of his WWF stuff was worthless, but the Hasbro figures are worth some coin.  I sold my husband's for a pretty penny.  But then again, he kept them nice, along with keeping the boxes and accessories.

He laughed hard when they gave Cobra a toy version of the Million Dollar Belt.  Total throwback. 

Edited by funky-rat
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 4/13/2021 at 10:22 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if code enforcement or other potential sources of fines are possible?   If so, the son William would be smart to buy his own property nearby, and not move on to Cobra/Fred's property.    I see no way that the property will stay clean.

Sorry for the double quote.  I'm on an aging tablet.  Code enforcement does exist in those rural areas but really are not much of a thing they actively enforce.  They mostly just leave it alone.  The area is chocked full of rotting buildings and mobile homes.  Code enforcement has more of a presence in towns.  Cobra is in the far flung boonies.

Fun info about the Statue.  Everyone loves it.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/pa-lady-liberty/

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2

Interesting article I just came across:

The Interior Lives of Hoarders

On 4/15/2021 at 2:17 PM, cpcathy said:

I heard a bunch of banging on the stairs the other day and looked out to see a GOT JUNK truck in front of the building. Apparently someone was getting rid of a couch (at least). Later I took out the trash and there was some smaller furniture in the trash corral (never mind they're not supposed to do that...I didn't see which unit the couch came from but I'm guessing it was the same people, though why not have the junk guys take that, too? Dare I hope it's the guys with the loud cars and they are moving out?!?!?! Probably not gonna be so lucky.)

On 4/15/2021 at 6:33 PM, Cherpumple said:

Thanks, I'll look again. I use subtitles on many of my streaming services, but they're not easy to find on my regular tv!

Mine has it in the settings menu somewhere; it's one of the weird little buttons on my remote.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:19 AM, Ligeia said:

My favourite is "deliberative music" 😄

I always wonder how deaf people who have never actually heard music interpret those kinds of descriptions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2021 at 8:58 AM, dsteele said:

Initially I also wondered if Dolores had dementia or a deteriorating brain condition. She certainly had a weird affect. But after watching the whole show, and especially the interactions with her family at the end, I really don't think that's it. Now, I'm not a doctor, but she seemed to me to be displaying all the classic signs of a syndrome the doctors call Basically Intolerant Toward Compassionate Humans (B.I.T.C.H.)

I believe this is entirely possible, especially after seeing the political campaign poster in her garage.

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Interesting article I just came across:

The Interior Lives of Hoarders

I heard a bunch of banging on the stairs the other day and looked out to see a GOT JUNK truck in front of the building. Apparently someone was getting rid of a couch (at least). Later I took out the trash and there was some smaller furniture in the trash corral (never mind they're not supposed to do that...I didn't see which unit the couch came from but I'm guessing it was the same people, though why not have the junk guys take that, too? Dare I hope it's the guys with the loud cars and they are moving out?!?!?! Probably not gonna be so lucky.)

Mine has it in the settings menu somewhere; it's one of the weird little buttons on my remote.

I always wonder how deaf people who have never actually heard music interpret those kinds of descriptions.

Maybe from the whatever musical vibrations they can feel?

• Love 1

I'm watching the rerun of Anna (some kind of health care worker), and Claire and Vance. 

Anna's sister and adult daughters broke into her house while Anna was at work, and a neighbor called Anna, and she told the neighbor to call police.    Then, Anna denied she knew the 'burglars'.       Anna claims she started hoarding a couple of years ago, when her mother died.    She's lying, that junk has been piling up for many years.    She won't let Matt Paxton, Dr. Z, and the cleaners and relatives inside her house.  

Then Claire and Vance bought a house, moved in, and removed most of the appliances, to stack books to the ceiling in every room.   I'm shocked the house hasn't collapsed (I'm a retired librarian, the weight load of books can collapse a floor), and Claire says they yell "Timber" when there's a major collapse.   

I'm always chilled when a hoarder says they work in home health care, or in the medical field.  The germs and filth are dangerous.   

As a retired librarian, believe me when I say that no library wants moldy, outdated books, especially encyclopedia sets.  

They removed 20,000 books from Claire and Vance's house, estimated at 10 tons, and have only made a walking path with books still packed to the ceiling.   A bookcase fell over on one of the cleaning crew too.   The kitchen is claimed to be clean (Dr. Chabaud, and Dorothy), but there are still books piled to the ceiling.     I don't care what the end screen said, I doubt Anna, Claire or Vance will ever clean up.

Tonight's new one is "Meryl".    She's been with her husband for 30 years, and he's another hoarder enabler.   Worcester city code enforcement have told her to clean up.   SHe actually heard the code enforcement pounding on the door, she hid in the bathroom, but they refused to leave, and she's been cited for a lot.  Codes enforcement have threatened to condemn the house, if they don't clean up.   

They are $100k in debt, plus a first and second mortgage.   The husband says if he had to be off work for two weeks the house would be gone.   Both of the couple are such liars, when Meryl's mother died, Meryl moved in everything from her mother's house, and was going to sort through it, it's all still there.   Plus, Meryl shops constantly.    There are paths through the junk, but everything else is packed to the ceiling.   The sister-in-law tried to help them clean up 8 or 9 years ago, and Meryl decided on the basement.   She did nothing to help the clean up, and they barely touched one basement room.    THe mother was really sick in 1997, and I bet died not too long later.    The sister-in-law and husband have given up.  Meryl's brother refused to participate again in another useless clean up.    Meryl wanted $15k from brother and SIL to clean up the house, partly to get the furnace repaired,  and spent all of it on other things.    

I'm in shock, the sister-in-law says Meryl is about to turn 60, I thought at least 10 years older.   At the beginning, Meryl is doing fine.   Most of what the cleaners are bringing out is nothing special.   Then, Meryl's mom's stuff starts coming out.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Anna's sister and adult daughters broke into her house while Anna was at work, and a neighbor called Anna, and she told the neighbor to call police.    Then, Anna denied she knew the 'burglars'.       Anna claims she started hoarding a couple of years ago, when her mother died.    She's lying, that junk has been piling up for many years.    She won't let Matt Paxton, Dr. Z, and the cleaners and relatives inside her house.  

I just turned the channel after Jeopardy ended; looks like they're about to throw down in the front yard.

Then I just looked up just in time to catch the sight of five boxes of roach-infested raisin bran in a plastic tote. I was thinking of cereal for dinner but...maybe not.

Oh, wow, I remember the book hoard!

• Love 2

So they spent at least 10 minutes with Meryl fondling some cheap china pitcher that was possibly her mother's.     Then the kitchen is cleaned out, and the filth on the floor is disgusting.   No matter what she says, I bet Meryl's already plotting how to fill the kitchen up again.   I wonder how much Meryl's spent on legal bills defending her pile of garbage? 

Zasio and Cory are talking as if the codes enforcement forced eviction and clean up is some kind of draconian move.   I bet if that happens that the neighbors will be cheering wildly as the junk trucks fill up. 

So now Zasio and her family meeting blows up in her face.    Meryl borrowed $15k to fix the heat, and squanders it.   The brother and sister-in-law paid the mortgage and other bills for Meryl for a long time, until they finally had to cut the financial ties.       Meryls' whining about access to her wifi and router in the den, which is packed full of junk.    Meryl's just another bully, ripping off her own brother for thousands of dollars.   The smart one in this family is Meryl's brother who stopped paying her bills, and refused to be humiliated on national TV for this show. 

So Zasio is saying Meryl got up in the middle of the night to fill boxes, and throw them in the dumpster.    Meryl finally gives up all decisions to the crew and family. 

Then Zasio butts in again, and wants Meryl to apologize to the sister-in-law for squandering $12,000 that was supposed to be for cleaning up the house.    The brother and SIL (Sharon) also paid the bills for a long time for Meryl' s house mortgage and bills.    Without Zasio telling Meryl to apologize to Sharon, she never would have done it. 

So the house structure was intact under the junk pile.  They removed 15 tons, according to Cory.  Why are there still electric cords draped everywhere? (According to other posters, the electric cords are to power the lights for filming).  Her husband will never be able to stop working. 

BSOJ-Meryl is doing aftercare therapy.   They're working on clearing more of the house.   (She still thinks the brother will get over her ripping him off for many thousands).   Meryl says she's still trying to repair the relationship with the brother.  

If the brother is smart, he will never let this woman in his house, because you know someday that house of hers will be gone to foreclosure.    Also, brother's wife needs to realize that when the wallet is closed to Meryl, that Meryl doesn't need you any more.  

(It wasn't just the estimated $100k in credit card debt, but a first and second mortgage on the house, and who knows how many other credit cards are open, and no one knows about.  The brother and sister-in-law will never see a penny of the money they wasted 'loaning' to Meryl, and then Meryl spent it on other things.)    The furnace still isn't working, so I'm guessing that codes enforcement will still have a few issues with Meryl.   THe basement was only partly cleared, and they didn't show the attic, or every room either.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Overdone it a little bit?

I've probably said this before, but I cannot fathom having 100K+ in credit card debt. My mortgage is less than that (it's not a big place).

Wow, she got up in the night and threw stuff out on her own?!

Has it been pouring rain every day? I think sister-in-law's hair is getting bigger with the humidity.

She actually did seem, for the most part, to be on board with the process. I really hope she can work with the therapist and keep the shopping under control and keep things clean. It's rare to see the hoarder flat out say "I need the help" and not seem like they're just saying it because they "have to." I hope she can reconcile with her brother, too.

Fifteen tons of stuff. 

• Love 1