Type keyword(s) to search

John Diggle: Brother In Arms

• Start Topic

With the exception of The Suicide Squad episode, not enough Diggle for my taste.  Even if I love his facial expressions in the background, he and David Ramsey are capable of much more.  I hope that changes.

Still, Diggle really is awesome.  I love that, 9 times out of 10, he's the no drama guy, trying to keep everyone else from freaking out (the exception is whenever Deadshot gets involved.)  And his one-liners.  Oh, so many great one-liners.  Nothing can make me laugh more then a sarcastic quip from Diggle at the right moment.

• Love 3

I mean, in this last episode, he didn't even speak. But that one nod when Felicity said, "I think if you find the Huntress, you should kick her ass" was perfect.

I love Diggle--he and Felicity are tied for #1 in my heart. He's such a great friend to Felicity and to Oliver, and such a grounding presence for such an over-the-top show. They desperately need that energy (Felicity serves the same function in a spunkier way), and I've missed him a lot. The producers said something about (speculation)

the situation in the Lair being more "intimate" again next year, which I think means we're dropping Roy or Sara along the way.

That will be welcome.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 1

What I like about Diggle, besides his abs and voice, is that he demanded respect from Oliver and earned it AND reminded Oliver that he had indeed earned that respect.

Diggle and Felicity are the Dynamic Duo of the Arrowcave. Such a great chemistry.

Not as hot, thank goodness!, as John and Lyla! I love those crazy kids and hope they can keep their relationship the way they need.  If only Lyla didn't work with Deadshot. ;)

• Love 1

Hope he spends more time with the Suicide Squad or semi join another team affiliation . David/Diggle deserve better than to be the third wheel in Team Olicity. 

Agreed. He needs to be given more to do then just be in the background for Olicity scenes with a one liner or facial reaction. I want him and Oliver to have some more bro time. I miss those scenes.

• Love 2

I love the potential of the ARGUS/HIVE/Suicide Squad storylines because at this point, it's more about Diggle than it is about Oliver. And that's refreshing and important to keeping him central to the story. At this point, I'm just hoping for that to happen in Season 3.

• Love 2
I love the potential of the ARGUS/HIVE/Suicide Squad storylines because at this point, it's more about Diggle than it is about Oliver. And that's refreshing and important to keeping him central to the story. At this point, I'm just hoping for that to happen in Season 3.

I enjoyed the Argus/Suicide storyline for Diggle, would like to see more, cant wait to see what they do with HIVE. 

I have been enjoying his scenes with Felicity they have been showing recently, David & Emily have a good chemistry and rapport with each together. 

Edited by Conell

I love David Ramsey, but he's been criminally underused. Diggle-centric episodes are great but they're not enough. I really do hope Diggle gets more to do in these final episodes.

He's the former soldier, maybe he can be in charge of the battle strategy (ala Captain America in "Avengers") when Team Arrow and its allies gets ready to face off against Slade's army. And I really do hope the show starts exploring the HIVE connection next season.

• Love 2

I felt like Diggle was more present this episode, and not just as a sounding board for Oliver (in the opening scene with the whole team and in the final scene in Slade's lab). In previous episodes, it felt like he was left out of the action in favor of Roy and/or Sara, and I'm glad they brought him back in the mix.

• Love 1

Anything Diggle and Felicity just turns into gold. It's like the two of them are a cup of hot chocolate (much like she produced for him while he was guarding her).

I heart Diggle so damn much and wish they'd use him more.  David Ramsay already does a lot with not very much, and those arms. Sigh.

Plus I think Diggle, although he hasn't had Oliver's degree of trauma, has still had a significantly traumatic past of his own (Iraq, losing his brother), and he's still holding it together.  I'd like Oliver to look to Diggle as the kind of man/hero he can be.

• Love 4

He's the former soldier, maybe he can be in charge of the battle strategy (ala Captain America in "Avengers") when Team Arrow and its allies gets ready to face off against Slade's army.

That's one of the things that bugged me when he pretty much disappeared when Sara arrived in the cave and she was the only one strategizing with Oliver.

How much time does David Ramsey spend on Blue Bloods?  (He plays the mayor.)  Could it be affecting how much screentime he gets on Arrow?

I'm glad he's got the Suicide Squad tie-in because that gives  him at least something that is his own and not in the shadow of Oliver.

(edited)
How much time does David Ramsey spend on Blue Bloods?  (He plays the mayor.)  Could it be affecting how much screentime he gets on Arrow?

Oh, I thought he was already done with Blue Bloods. IMDB lists him only up to 2013 (and I think that meant 2012-2013 season), with 14 episodes.

Anyone else wondered what Diggle's reaction was when Laurel reached out to him and Felicity? He didn't look very happy when she was in the Arrowcave with them. Not that I think he had a problem with Laurel personally. I think it was the decisions Oliver made when she was part of the equation that bugged Dig (like when O left D hanging in that ep with Deadshot?).

Edited by SmallScreenDiva

I would love to get Diggle's POV on Laurel knowing. He's never been fond of her and didn't look thrilled with her in the Arrow cave. But I also presume he and Felicity brought her there (unless I missed something - I did ff a lot.) 

Diggle is pretty non-judgmental generally

I presume he and Felicity brought Laurel in because Oliver wasn't listening to them. Or was it that Laurel went to them because she finally had some information and that's what prompted them?  I much prefer the latter. Either way, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Diggle and Felicity talked over whether to let Laurel in.  (Fanfic anyone?) 

I don't watch Blue Bloods, I didn't know he was already done on it.  Is Arrow all he's got now, poor guy?

Guest laurendrew

David Ramsey is a jewel and completely underused on the show. I wish they hadn't introduced Roy so soon (or, you know, ever...sorry comic fans) and given more storylines and scenes to David instead. Diggle is perfection and I want to see him doing more things outside of the Arrowcave. I'm loving his involvement with ARGUS and hopefully they continue it throughout the third season.

• Love 3

Hopefully we get the more sane sexytimes of Johnny and Lyla; any excuse to see Mr. Ramsey show the guns off and that nice chest. Plus, I keep waiting for gold like his platinum line from last season:

DIGGLE: (to noob bodyguard, waiting for Oliver "in the bathroom") You know that boy's gone.

I guess you can tell how dark a show is getting by the normally fun/funny characters "losing" their humor. (Not sarcasm, though. The interrogation was gold this last episode. Diggle's reactions to the goon's reactions to Felicity were great!)

I guess my wish for Season 3 is that John gets a chance to write Laurel a reality check and for it to not bounce a millimeter. "Here is your map; this is where you get off."

• Love 6

Actionmage, that was the exact line that made me fall in love with Diggle. It was all in the delivery.

How much would I love a Diggle smackdown to Laurel.  I'd play it over and over again.

• Love 4

Laurendrew, that definitely occurred to me as a possibility as well. 

I really hope we're wrong.  Not just because I think this show needs more Diggle, not less, but also because I think it would seriously damage the show. Especially with Moira dead, Quentin gravely wounded and Merlyn all thrilled because his daughter is willing to shoot him, I feel some level-headedness has become more necessary than ever.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Diggle is too important to the show, much less to Oliver, to drop him from it.  He's the adult on the Team, the one who stops those two crazy kids from doing stupid things.

With a baby Diggle on the horizon, I'd like to see them explore what are the limits for being a vigilante or agent (in Lyla's case) when you are responsible for a young like. They could also be a model for something Oliver wans to have but feels he can't let him dream of.  If he can't be in a relationship with someone he cares about because of what he does, how much farther away is fatherhood and a stable family for him?  (Cue the manpain, but at least it's not over someone dying.)

(I miss SG1 too. I didn't reazlie how much Diggle is like Teal'c till you mentioned it now.)

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

In my SG1 starved mind looking for a replacement, Diggle IS Teal'c! Felicity is a Daniel because she does worry about people's souls. Barry would have been a straight up Sam.

The baby plot for Diggle has potential. Oliver just lost his family. Like Angel, if the narrative turns from being partners to being a family, I would not be opposed.

Edited by GirlWednesday
  • Love 2

Well, when Uncle Ollie realizes he isn't actually poor, that is one spoiled kid! Plus, Aunt Felicity? She's gonna teach the kid how to hack before the little one is two. Which is cool, because Mama is teaching infiltration 101. Dad has weapons covered. Baby Dig is going to truly be an Army of One!

• Love 3

I suspect that Diggle will have a storyline where he angsts about retiring from the team.  Likely it will be a midseason cliff hanger where he has decided to leave, probably even is offered a job that requires him to move away.  Then something will happen to bring him back. 

I do think (as long as he and Lyla don't break up and the kid remains his and alive) Diggle will remove himself from the line of fire and maybe be more of a trainer/weapons guy.  I don't think that would end up messing with the Team Arrow vibe in the end.  He's more important as the voice of reason and their rock than a silent guy running around in the dark with a gun.  He still would run into rescue Oliver when he gets over his head, but just not go out in the field on a day to day basis. 

• Love 1

Hope he spends more time with the Suicide Squad or semi join another team affiliation . David/Diggle deserve better than to be the third wheel in Team Olicity.

That episode is what brought me to the show full-time ironically. DR is definitely leading man status.

• Love 2

I'd love to see the Lyla and Diggle show, at least for a while.  The actors have great chemistry and the characters seem to play well against each other.

Mind you I think David Ramsey would have chemistry with a barn door. He's just one of those actors.

• Love 2

I hope him and Lyla having a baby isn't going to take him out of the show,

I don't think there's cause for alarm. TPTB recognise the incredible chemistry between the 3 of them. Together Oliver, Diggle, Felicity make the heart of the show, I think it's similar to Dean and Sam on SPN. If anything I think they added the baby to solidify Lyla's place in Team Arrow's orbit and to run a parallel when Oliver inevitably finds out he's a father.

Diggle acted as a mentor to help Oliver realize many things -- it was about more than just the list; his responsibility to other, what it takes to be a hero; and hey, Felicity is having a hard time with Sara in the Cave.

I can see the same thing happening later in the season when Oliver jr. makes himself known. 

I'm going to ask Santa for them to be a "cool, action-parent couple" like Athena and Helo from Battlestar Galactica, with much less kidnapping.

I don't think there's cause for alarm. TPTB recognise the incredible chemistry between the 3 of them. Together Oliver, Diggle, Felicity make the heart of the show, I think it's similar to Dean and Sam on SPN. If anything I think they added the baby to solidify Lyla's place in Team Arrow's orbit and to run a parallel when Oliver inevitably finds out he's a father.

You mean Dean, Sam, and the Impala. Gotta have three. :)    I was thinking of other triads, like Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.  The three-person core is a great trope because it allows for more paths of interaction.  I hope there can be more of the "older and wiser big brother" angle going for Diggle.  And more dry observations ("He's already gone").

• Love 1

It really shouldn't but I do think the show will play up the angst of his decision before deciding it doesn't have to be an all or nothing kind of thing.  Diggle's importance to the show is how he reacts and communicates with his team not how well he shoots in the field. 

(edited)

I had this really disturbing thought the other day, that making Lyla pregnant is sort of an excuse for the EP's to lessen (or even remove) Diggle's presence in the Arrowcave in order to make room for Laurel.

Edited by KirkB

That thought terrifies me.  I'm glad they are introducing Oliver's son as it equalizes things a bit for Ollie and Diggle.  It could go the way of one or both of them pulling back from the danger and violence of their work but it could also work out that they want to stick to it to make a better and safer world for their children.  At the very least, I hope Diggle has a really good snarky comment if Laurel should further try to wiggle her way into Team Arrow.  Ugh.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Diggle's child can only create more story for him IMO which is always good. More Lyla and also raising the emotional stakes for Team Arrow and his relationship to it. Perhaps he'll want to clean up the city even more due to an oncoming child?

Edited by slayer2

They've acknowledged the importance of the core Team Arrow, and have promised they're getting back to that next season, referencing a "more intimate" feel when it comes to the team (in direct response to a question about all the people in the lair this season). So I don't have concerns about Diggle being further backgrounded. But I do think it's possible they're trying to figure out a different, more defined role for him on the team. Perhaps one that takes him out of the line of fire, more like directing the missions. I don't relish that idea either. But that's because I hate and fear change. ;)

But actually, that seemed more likely to me when Roy was still superpowered and Sara was around. It was like, Oliver with his incredible skill and strength, plus a superpowered dude, plus an elite assassin, plus a strong and highly-trained military guy. Of the four, Diggle was the least exceptional in the field. It started to feel like, why would you bring Diggle if you had Sara and/or Roy? But now, is Roy just back to being a normal dude who has some archery skill?

• Love 1

Maybe Roy can be the cannon fodder while Diggle takes the role of a general.

I love Diggle, he was so anti-Helena and later anti-Laurel.  Oliver should listen to him, guy knows what he's talking about.

• Love 2

Being late to the Arrow party (started watching at Suicide Squad this year, just started watching Season 1), I have to say, Diggle is my new imaginary boyfriend. I seriously <3 him.

Also, as an aside - to my friends and family who aren't tech savvy, I always say, "I less then 3 (it/him/thingy)" and they get it, since I've explained it to them.

• Love 3

Ha Stacey me too! That's my exact Arrow trajectory. Started on Suicide Squad to Arrow season 2 end and now starting backwards at episode 1. Diggle truly is invaluable.

• Love 1

Does anyone think that giving Diggle a baby is an excuse to reduce his screen time? I kind of have that feeling because a baby is really unnecessary in the narrative at this time. 

I don't know. I think they gave Diggle a baby because they gave Oliver a kid, too, and this show loves nothing more than parallels. Unless we're also going to see Oliver interact with a child while he's in Hong Kong with Waller, which, hoo boy, I hope not. 

I think TPTB know how great the chemistry is with Team Arrow, and while Diggle was pushed to the background a lot in S2, I hope that changes for S3. 

• Love 2

Maybe with Diggle the show will work out a path that shows a masked hero can have "it all" despite what Oliver previously said about the life he leads making being with someone he cares for impossible. :)

• Love 3