Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

On 12/16/2019 at 10:02 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Cozi TV has been advertising the return of Roseanne. Sure hope Roseanne isn’t taking over the time slot currently occupied by Frasier. I would not be happy. 

I took a look at the upcoming schedule. Frasier is moving back an hour to 7-9pm ET

Thanks, ketose, for the time change for Frasier. Most nights, it's the only good thing on to watch. Nothing like the comedy on this show. It was one of the best of it's era. I'll continue to record the shows and have them ready to watch! Happy Holidays to you.

I didn't realize that the new Peacock service is why Frasier is disappearing from Netflix. (Now I'm worried about how long it will stay on Hulu and All Access.)  This also came up in the Psych topic, with NBCU delaying the new Psych movie premiere until April 2020.  

It will be free if someone has Comcast cable tv (which we don't, we only have access to one cable provider), with paid tiers for everyone else.  I'm not sure what it will do to local OTA  syndication.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/nbcuniversal-peacock-streaming-strategy-investor-meeting-1203424330/ 

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/17/nbcus-streaming-service-peacock-announces-originals-slate-including-a-battlestar-galactica-reboot/ 

It's probably time for me to buy it on dvd for my husband. 

I think the DVDs are a great investment.  They get a lot of play in my house.

We never had Frasier on Netflix here in Canada.  We have it on an app named "Crave".

There are also episodes on YouTube.  And I think, Daily Motion.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Since Hulu is a platform in agreement with NBC, it’s pretty likely that Frasier will remain available there. They still have The Office

NBC paid a hefty sum to retrieve The Office for Peacock but it looks like it won't be exclusive there until 2021. 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/19/20874115/office-nbc-reboot-peacock-netflix-steve-carell-friends-hbo-max 

It appears that Comcast still has a 33% stake in Hulu after Disney gained control, so maybe Frasier is safe for the duration.  For some reason I thought it was less. 

Updated to add, looks like we're good until 2024.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/14/18623063/hulu-disney-comcast-fox-netflix-att-office-friends-streaming 

• Love 1

Did something happen to Frasier on Amazon Prime?  Last night I could watch it with no problem.  This morning it suddenly wants me to use Hulu or Netflix to watch.  I prefer Prime for bedtime shows since it plays better and both Hulu and Netflix have issues with my FIre Stick.

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Did something happen to Frasier on Amazon Prime?  Last night I could watch it with no problem.  This morning it suddenly wants me to use Hulu or Netflix to watch.  I prefer Prime for bedtime shows since it plays better and both Hulu and Netflix have issues with my FIre Stick.

Today Frasier is paid only on Prime Video.  We found out earlier this morning that the same thing happened to Andy Griffith.  

It's still on Hulu and CBS All Access but Alexa doesn't seem to work with my standalone CBS-AA. I wonder if I subbed via Amazon it would? (Google says it should but it doesn't on my Toshiba FireTV/Echo Dot combo.)

48 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Today Frasier is paid only on Prime Video.

Is that different than subscribing to Amazon Prime and being able to watch their tv shows? We subscribed to Amazon Prime to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but now we like Prime so much, it's worth the cost to us.

29 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Is that different than subscribing to Amazon Prime and being able to watch their tv shows? We subscribed to Amazon Prime to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but now we like Prime so much, it's worth the cost to us.

Right now, Frasier can be streamed if one is a Prime member and/or be purchased if one wants to "own" it. There are other shows, however, where the show cannot be streamed UNLESS one purchases an episode or season.

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Right now, Frasier can be streamed if one is a Prime member and/or be purchased if one wants to "own" it. There are other shows, however, where the show cannot be streamed UNLESS one purchases an episode or season.

By stream, do you mean watch on your computer or on your tv? When we watch Mrs., Maisel, we switch the tv from our cable provider to Amazon Prime. I don't care about Frasier, we get that on Cozi.

Just now, chessiegal said:

By stream, do you mean watch on your computer or on your tv? When we watch Mrs., Maisel, we switch the tv from our cable provider to Amazon Prime. I don't care about Frasier, we get that on Cozi.

You can stream on the computer, phone, AND/OR the TV, if you have something like Roku or the Amazon Fire Stick/Box/TV with the Prime Video App for Prime Video shows. (As Mrs. Maisel is.)

Huh, only thing we have is Amazon Prime on our TV. No sticks in our house. I've never tried watching it on my tablet. I know I can watch Netflix on my tablet and TV as we subscribe. I only stay subscribed to Netflix because my step-daughter is on our account. Can't cut off my grandbabies from their shows. 😁

I have Amazon Prime with the video included. Frasier is no longer free to watch. I was under the impression that the Prime Video you sub to standalone was the same as the free w/Prime?

We don't really use it much except as a backup when Hulu keeps crashing. Which it did today, a lot.  

1 minute ago, Magnumfangirl said:

It was dropped from Prime yesterday 12/30 along with a bunch of other CBS owned content.  You'll have to subscribe to CBS All Access to watch it now.  

Or Hulu.  They are about the same price, more or less, so which one you pick would depend on the other shows you watch. Hulu has more content but CBS AA has their originals like ST: Discovery and Picard, among others. 

Amazon has a bunch of different levels of viewing, unlike Netflix or where it's all available on subscription.

If you have Amazon Prime, there are a bunch of titles that are complimentary with the service (free is kind of a misnomer).

If you don't have Prime, you can buy or rent a title if it is available for sale. If you buy it, you can watch it even if you don't have Prime.

My guess is that Frasier is now in the "paid" tier. This applies to your Amazon account. It doesn't matter if you watch on PC, tablet, Roku or Fire Stick.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

13 hours ago, tessaray said:

I have Amazon Prime with the video included. Frasier is no longer free to watch. I was under the impression that the Prime Video you sub to standalone was the same as the free w/Prime?

We don't really use it much except as a backup when Hulu keeps crashing. Which it did today, a lot.  

1 hour ago, ketose said:

Amazon has a bunch of different levels of viewing, unlike Netflix or where it's all available on subscription.

If you have Amazon Prime, there are a bunch of titles that are complimentary with the service (free is kind of a misnomer).

If you don't have Prime, you can buy or rent a title if it is available for sale. If you buy it, you can watch it even if you don't have Prime.

My guess is that Frasier is now in the "paid" tier. This applies to your Amazon account. It doesn't matter if you watch on PC, tablet, Roku or Fire Stick.

Frasier is no longer included in the "included with Prime membership" group.  Meaning that Prime or no Prime,  you have to pay to see it.  You can buy individual episodes ($1.99 each) or whole seasons ($14.99).  I leave it to you to figure which one makes more sense, given 24 episodes per season.  I"m disappointed, even though I intellectually understand why they are doing it.  They are all in it to make money, after all.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ketose said:

Right.  You've always been able to "buy"* Frasier on Netflix from their commercial side of things even when it was available on their streaming subscription service (their Netflix equivalent).  Netflix doesn't have a commercial side like that.  

*I put "buy" in quotes because technically, it's a license to the content.  If Amazon were to shut down, all the purchases could disappear.  

I suspect what happened on Amazon Prime is the same thing that happened on Netflix.  It cost too much to pay the licensing fee to make all the episodes available for all Prime/Netflix subscribers.  Either that or the production company wanted to make their show exclusive to one service, perhaps one they own, as a way to encourage people to subscribe to that service.  That's what WB did with Friends and NBC is doing with The Office. 

22 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I suspect what happened on Amazon Prime is the same thing that happened on Netflix.  It cost too much to pay the licensing fee to make all the episodes available for all Prime/Netflix subscribers.  Either that or the production company wanted to make their show exclusive to one service

It’s the last thing. CBS owns Frasier and they only want it streamed on a platform they have a financial stake in. 

• Love 1

For the time being, even if a company goes out of business, another digital content provider buys the assets and the responsibility to make content available to the purchasers. That may change, of course, but if it does, digital purchasing will take a huge hit and people will start hoarding DVDs instead of buying streams.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, tessaray said:

I have that. When I looked last night, it could be streamed! Maybe it changed as of today?

ETA: Now I know why I can still stream: I have a subscription to CBS All Access, one of the channels offered for subscription by Amazon. And CBS All Access - I guess - owns the rights to Frasier, so since I have All Access, streaming is still possible. I guess it is gone under "regular" Prime Video, though.

• Love 1

@ketose - I'm disappointed I can't watch Mary Tyler Moore since I lost Decades in my market. For awhile, FETV carried it, then stopped. Do you think licensing costs are the reason so few channels show it? There was a sale last year for all 7 seasons for about $25, so I bought it. Best I can tell, Hulu is the only subscription service that carries it.

I guess if COZI stops carrying Frasier, I'll take comfort in knowing I've watched every episode many times.

24 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

@ketose - I'm disappointed I can't watch Mary Tyler Moore since I lost Decades in my market. For awhile, FETV carried it, then stopped. Do you think licensing costs are the reason so few channels show it? There was a sale last year for all 7 seasons for about $25, so I bought it. Best I can tell, Hulu is the only subscription service that carries it.

I guess if COZI stops carrying Frasier, I'll take comfort in knowing I've watched every episode many times.

The more places a show can be watched, the less inherent value it has. This is why local TV channels forced cable companies to block transmission of syndicated shows on non-local affiliates in the 90's. With the oldies TV channels and streaming options, it's easy to end up in a situation where the show you like is almost unavailable unless you subscribe to a lot of services or live in a big TV market.

Frasier DVDs are available for $87 for all episodes, which comes out to 33 cents an episode. Of course, watching DVDs is much less convenient than streaming devices.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, ketose said:

Frasier DVDs are available for $87 for all episodes, which comes out to 33 cents an episode. Of course, watching DVDs is much less convenient than streaming devices.

I’m more and more glad every day that I thought to hang onto my old DVD player that’s a 7-disc changer. It’s great for tv show binges. I don’t know that I like Frasier enough to buy it, though. 

• Love 3

I have the entire series on DVD. Got it for Christmas a few years back :). The whole thing of streaming services pulling shows after a time is precisely one of many reasons I try and collect the DVDs of my favorite shows when possible. I like having my own personal copy to rewatch anytime I want. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I’m more and more glad every day that I thought to hang onto my old DVD player that’s a 7-disc changer. It’s great for tv show binges. I don’t know that I like Frasier enough to buy it, though. 

We had one of those. I'd forgotten all about it until just now. Ours was a knock-off brand and didn't last long. 

I have slowly been digitizing my dvd collection to use with Kodi on the Shield TV box.  The idea of working my way thru 11 seasons of Frasier is a bit daunting though.  

• Love 2
On 1/1/2020 at 9:20 PM, tessaray said:

I have slowly been digitizing my dvd collection to use with Kodi on the Shield TV box.  The idea of working my way thru 11 seasons of Frasier is a bit daunting though.  

It's not too bad digitizing Frasier. I did it several years ago with my DVDs and since it's a half hour show, it went a lot faster than I expected. It was 44 discs total. It's better than the hour long stuff, since those can be six to eight discs per season, or the old flipper discs. The discs are also well organized, unlike some shows where the episodes are out of order, or they break the show up in partial seasons.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, kariyaki said:

I don’t know that I like Frasier enough to buy it, though. 

See if your local library has the DVDs. Check them out when you are in the mood to watch.

• Love 2
On 1/1/2020 at 9:20 PM, tessaray said:

We had one of those. I'd forgotten all about it until just now. Ours was a knock-off brand and didn't last long. 

My 7-disc changer is a JVC, which turned out to be a pretty good brand. Bought it in the mid-90s and it's still kicking. The con is that it's from a pre-HDMI era, so I have to hook it up to the tv with component cables.

7 hours ago, MSterling said:

See if your local library has the DVDs. Check them out when you are in the mood to watch.

I'm pretty sure the library has Frasier, but that's not what I mean. I liked having it available on Netflix if I was bored and absolutely had nothing to watch. And if I stumble across it on Hallmark or Cozi, I might watch it. But I'm otherwise probably not going to bother going to the trouble of acquiring the DVDs, whether buying them for myself or checking them out of the library. I like the show but I don't like it THAT much.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I'm pretty sure the library has Frasier, but that's not what I mean. I liked having it available on Netflix if I was bored and absolutely had nothing to watch. And if I stumble across it on Hallmark or Cozi, I might watch it. But I'm otherwise probably not going to bother going to the trouble of acquiring the DVDs, whether buying them for myself or checking them out of the library. I like the show but I don't like it THAT much.

Me either.  In my case it's my husband who watches and I'll catch parts of episodes. He usually has a handful of sitcoms he watches during the day and I liked that they were available streaming. I REALLY miss the days when Netflix had them all and I didn't have to sub to multiple services.   

Our Kodi setup mainly has all his old Western shows on it, though I'm slowly working on his 13 seasons of Law & Order dvds right now. 

The local library probably has Frasier but with my flakey memory and the cost of overdue fines, I'm better off buying the dvds. 🙂  

• Love 1
On 1/28/2020 at 9:16 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Does anyone out there have a screenshot or picture of the painting hanging outside Frasier’s apartment across from the elevator? I’ve been trying to locate the image for a research project but no luck. TIA.

Is it this one?

You can see a few paintings in this image too.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I think there were still a lot of good episodes after that point.  I don't really like Daphne's family, and there are more of them in the last years, but there are a lot of good episodes in that time.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

I pretty much stopped watching Frasier around the time Niles and Daphne got married.  Now I'm wondering if I'm missing out!  Would those who followed the whole series recommend those later seasons?

@PennyPlain: When they got married, or when they got together? I'll assume you mean you stopped at the beginning of Season 10 (their wedding). I think there are many great episodes in the last 2 seasons, and a couple of them are considered true classics ("Fathers and Sons" in season 10, "The Doctor Is Out" in season 11). 

Lots of fans (including me) thought the character played by Felicity Huffman was not a welcome addition (she's in maybe a half-dozen episodes). And there's a season 11 arc that features Laura Linney as a love interest; I liked her character well enough, but apparently I'm in the minority. 

Long story short, I think you should try a few episodes that you missed. The show was not brilliant anymore by its final 2 seasons, but I still loved it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I pretty much stopped watching Frasier around the time Niles and Daphne got married.  Now I'm wondering if I'm missing out!  Would those who followed the whole series recommend those later seasons?

I rewatched the whole series recently and I was kind of dreading the later seasons because I remember thinking the quality had dipped but I found myself laughing a lot more than I anticipated.

And I genuinely thought Season 11 was almost a full return to form.

There were things I didn't like but things go faster in binge format.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I enjoyed it to the very end.  Yes, there were some dud subplots and episodes, but I think that's the case with any show.  With this series, I still liked everyone by the end of the series.

I disliked Daphne's family too, but there were stretches of episodes where they were all absent.  You could always fast-forward their bits when they make guest appearances.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

The Niles health arc was pretty good.  And if you like Wendy Malick, she and Martin made a cute couple.  Those were my favorites.

• Love 2