Type keyword(s) to search

Deadwood - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/16/2019 at 4:23 PM, msrachelj said:

What the hell did Al mean after Trixie was praying "our father who art in heaven" and he said, "let him the**** stay there"? He wasn't coming down. Don't get it. 

Al would have probably been a decent man had he not been abused as a child, and I think he was implying this world was too horrible for him.

I think in spite of his brutal Machiavellian nature he had a compassionate side and was only the product of his environment.

It doesn't really make sense in the sense that God would have created this world, but I felt like it was something along the lines that angels or the idea of pure righteous God are too good for this world.

• Love 4
On 6/16/2019 at 4:23 PM, msrachelj said:

What the hell did Al mean after Trixie was praying "our father who art in heaven" and he said, "let him the**** stay there"? He wasn't coming down. Don't get it. 

Maybe Al thinks God is an asshole (especially to the good and innocents).  I can not disagree with this sentiment.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Maybe Al thinks God is an asshole (especially to the good and innocents).  I can not disagree with this sentiment.

My takeaway from that line was that Al wasn't gonna be a hypocrite and start praying to God right at the end. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I took it this way as well.  I'm not gonna really disagree either. :\

• Love 2
On 6/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, Jeebus Cripes said:

My takeaway from that line was that Al wasn't gonna be a hypocrite and start praying to God right at the end. 

My impression also, he wanted nothing to do with God now that he was at death's door.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow I was sad when Charlie died and I haven't seen the show in years. 

I was crossing my fingers for the canned peaches! 

Bullock not giving a fuck and just hauling Hearst off was all kinds of hells yeah. 

I thought the historical Al left Deadwood and died years later? 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I thought the historical Al left Deadwood and died years later? 

A lot of poetic license was taken in order to neatly tie up the loose ends and the story. 

• Love 1
On 6/16/2019 at 4:21 PM, msrachelj said:

And why did many of the characters start speaking like fuckin' Yoda?!!  

I finally had a chance to watch, and I agree. I recall how poetic the language was. Here, it felt twisted too far around into awkwardness, and it seemed like the actors sometimes had trouble with it. It also didn't help to have several characters speaking the same way rather than as individuals, which they formerly did. Sorry, but it made me uncomfortable through most of the movie.

That said, it was a good story and it was really nice to see the characters again. Had to laugh a bit at Harry being a betraying son-of-a-bitch lawman since the actor, Brent Sexton, also played a betraying son-of-a-bitch lawman in Justified (Hunter Mosley).

Loved the Garret Dillahunt cameo. Liked seeing some acknowledgement between Alma and Bullock, but at the same time was glad that he stuck with family. 

I think the part I liked best was when the mob went after Hearst, and Bullock stepped back and let it happen for a minute or two before firing his gun in the air. Not only for the satisfaction as a viewer, but for him making that choice to allow it. Burning timber is one thing; allowing a restrained prisoner to be beaten is another. (Thinking back to the very beginning of the series and his refusal to allow a mob any access to a prisoner.)

OK, that moment and also when he shut down the marshals (sheriffs?) from the next town for not having jurisdiction, and saying how they should have come to see him first out of respect. 

One thing Bullock and Raylan Givens seem to have in common is having no fear. I like that about them (and in Timothy Olyphant's portrayal). 

• Love 2
On 6/4/2019 at 8:38 AM, paigow said:

When Charlie told Bullock about Hearst making an offer, Bullock promised to visit Hearst before any further negotiations...but that never happened...did it? Maybe I got confused because both of them were talking in long-winded sentences like Boyd Crowder...

Charlie told Seth he didn't want Seth to talk to Hearst on his behalf.  

4 minutes ago, JanetSnakehole said:

That is an amazing bargain. Thanks for alerting me. Matt Zollerseitz is writing a definitive Bible (Yes, that’s what they are calling it) on Deadwood. Besides an analysis of every episode and the movie, it will also include interviews with the cast and unseen photos from his on site visits to Melody Ranch (where they filmed it). There’s a kickstarter account set up because he doesn’t have a publisher and is trying to get the funds to get this book printed privately. Ha, depending on how much you want to spend ($30 minimum) it comes with extra incentives. You can get soap with a secret prize (like the guy who hawked it in the series), artwork and autographs. I supported the drive to get the book. It’s called:

A Lie Agreed Upon: THE DEADWOOD CHRONICLES 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That is an amazing bargain. Thanks for alerting me. Matt Zollerseitz is writing a definitive Bible (Yes, that’s what they are calling it) on Deadwood. Besides an analysis of every episode and the movie, it will also include interviews with the cast and unseen photos from his on site visits to Melody Ranch (where they filmed it). There’s a kickstarter account set up because he doesn’t have a publisher and is trying to get the funds to get this book printed privately. Ha, depending on how much you want to spend ($30 minimum) it comes with extra incentives. You can get soap with a secret prize (like the guy who hawked it in the series), artwork and autographs. I supported the drive to get the book. It’s called:

A Lie Agreed Upon: THE DEADWOOD CHRONICLES 

Yes he IS! I've donated and can't wait for it - looks amazing! Here's the kickstarter link for anyone who wants it: 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, JanetSnakehole said:

Yes he IS! I've donated and can't wait for it - looks amazing! Here's the kickstarter link for anyone who wants it: 

Thanks for posting the link for others that may be interested. I have the technological skills of a guppy. I really hope it comes to fruition. 

• Love 1
On 6/16/2019 at 7:23 PM, msrachelj said:

Okay, I feel really dumb having finally watched the movie and totally not realizing that Al died, despite the similar handholding. I thought the meaning of the line was that Trixie was praying for him as if he was going to die and Al saying "And let him the fuck stay there" meant for God to stay away from him because he wasn't (fucking) dead yet. So he was cutting off Trixie's deathbed prayer and the whole deathbed scene.

I really liked what they did with Alma and Seth. I didn't ship them but I could still feel sad at how they weren't meant to be in that moment. Seth was fine because the family that he took out of duty became a source of true happiness, but Alma had a personality that longed to love somebody passionately and grabbed at that chance with Bullock even though he was married, but it turned out she was fated to be alone. Seth was the only time in her life she got that.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Okay, I feel really dumb having finally watched the movie and totally not realizing that Al died, despite the similar handholding.

Don't feel dumb. I didn't see it as a deathbed scene either. To my mind, Al lives on in all his majestic fucking glory!

• Love 3
Just now, purist said:

Don't feel dumb. I didn't see it as a deathbed scene either. To my mind, Al lives on in all his majestic fucking glory!

I thought that Al was going to think WTF and try Mister Wu’s teas and have some kind of miraculous recovery. I think they left this purposely ambiguous in case there’s another movie or season. (Doubtful, but one can hope) 

• Love 2
(edited)

So I just backed the Matt Zoller Seitz book project on Kickstarter with a $30 pledge - and discovered that postage to Australia (where I live) is a whopping $95! I ended up saying on the form that I was in the USA and putting in the zip code from where one of my friends lives, which changed that postage cost to $12. Once the book is available I guess I'll have to visit, or persuade one of my stateside friends to come over here ...

Edited by purist
2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I'm sorry but this all sounds like some kind of hoax.  People need to do due diligence.  No way am I getting involved in this.

I appreciate your concern. If the book is not published, a refund will be given. I did a screenshot of that promise. My credit card will be able to use it if anything goes awry and I get neither the book or a refund. 

Eight Emmy nominations for the Deadwood movie:

Outstanding Television Movie

Outstanding Cinematography For A Limited Series Or Movie

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Limited Series Or Movie

Outstanding Hairstyling For A Limited Series Or Movie

Outstanding Makeup For A Limited Series Or Movie (Non-Prosthetic)

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Limited Series, Movie Or Special

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Limited Series Or Movie

Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role

• Love 5
(edited)

Finally got around to watching it and really enjoyed it. I don't think it was perfect but it was really great and probably the best movie they could make under the circumstances. Plus it looked fuckin beautiful. There werw a lot of great shots, I think my favourite was Trixie stepping out for a stroll on the Gem balcony.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, AuntiePam said:

Why would Hearst want that land for telephone lines?  Didn't the telephone lines go on the same poles as the telegraph lines?  AT&T -- American Telephone & Telegraph.   

I was kind of wondering about that. I mean they are telephone lines, couldn't they just go around Charlie's land. For that matter with fuckin Hearst's political connections he probably could have just pulled some eminent domain bullshit.

On 6/4/2019 at 9:17 AM, walnutqueen said:

Don't even get me started on Doc, the end stage lunger ... or Trixie's miraculous geriatric baby.

How accurate was a TB diagnosis back then? I mean the doc was coughing a lot but it is not like they could do a chest x-ray. Did they have that annoying needle tb test thing? Because a lot of things make you cough.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:21 PM, msrachelj said:

Everyone appeared to have aged 20+ years , not 10. It felt off, it felt like it was filmed differently. 

I bought that. 10 years of hard living on the frontier would age the hell out of people (no idea about good nutrition or the effects of the sun, plus all the hard work drinking and smoking). So I could totally buy that people like Seth, Sol and Dan would look that much older. Further to the emmy nominations they better win the best make-up one for how well they did with this, because have you see what Timothy Olyphant looks like in real life. 

Also anyone know if this is going to get a dvd release. I would love to watch it again.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Further to the emmy nominations they better win the best make-up one for how well they did with this, because have you see what Timothy Olyphant looks like in real life. 

Aside from the grey hair, Olyphant seems to be aging backwards IRL. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

There’s the best DVD deal I have seen. Thanks to our fellow poster who told me/us about it. 

That's just the original series isn't it? I just want a dvd of the movie as I already have the original show.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That's just the original series isn't it? I just want a dvd of the movie as I already have the original show.

Sorry. I don’t know where you can get the movie DVD. When you do figure it out please post here so the rest of us who are interested can get one too. Thanks. 

I really wish they hadn't closed the old Deadwood forum.  I am just finishing up season 3 and have some questions for some of the last episodes.  I can't afford to get involved in an open discussion because most people have already seen the 3 seasons and the movie.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Dminches said:

I really wish they hadn't closed the old Deadwood forum.  I am just finishing up season 3 and have some questions for some of the last episodes.  I can't afford to get involved in an open discussion because most people have already seen the 3 seasons and the movie.

If you pm me, perhaps I can answer your questions without referencing the movie.

• Love 1
On 8/23/2019 at 1:13 PM, Mindthinkr said:

@Dminches There are some of us here who would be happy to chat about Deadwood. Any episode, any season or any character. I, for one, absolutely loved this series and have rewatched it more than a few times. 

Seconded. I've watched all three seasons so many times I can practically quote the dialogue verbatim at this point. Some people quote Shakespeare, I quote Deadwood. 

• Love 2

I just had the weirdest dream. They had. Invented a new tin of peach cookies. When you open the lid you get Al Swearengen saying “Hey you LFC (didn’t want to spell that out...just think of how he used to address Trixie) you’re gonna get fat if you keep eating these”. 

• LOL 2

I am on S1:E6 of Deadwood. My first time watching. You know what they say, about the first time seeing something. So far I am loving it. 

I know I am very lucky, because you can never have it back, the experience of seeing a great TV show for the first time. 

• Love 8
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:34 PM, TVMovieBuff said:

I am on S1:E6 of Deadwood. My first time watching. You know what they say, about the first time seeing something. So far I am loving it. 

I know I am very lucky, because you can never have it back, the experience of seeing a great TV show for the first time. 

I'm so jealous, LOL.    I've already rewatched the entire thing twice; and I rarely rewatch anything.   Only other show I've rewatched is HBO's "Rome" (about 10, 0000 times. LOL)

• Love 3

An update on The Deadwood Chronicles 

A lot of you may know this, but the author Matt Z’s wife has cancer. She has been going through a lot of treatments, but alas isn’t doing well. Although he had hoped to get the book out to us late fall of this year, he stated on Twitter that there may be a delay because he chooses to spend more time with his wife. I think that is understandable even though I’m disappointed and hoped to get the extra one I ordered so I could give it as a Christmas present this year. Chins up folks. It will get done and please think some good thoughts for his wife. (They have exhausted all her treatment options so the prognosis isn’t good). 

• Love 1

Should anyone still be checking in here, there is a truly excellent new 6 part drama on BritBox called "Redemption", starring Paula Malcomson - she is extraordinary! Highly recommend if you like British crime drama things (it is actually set in Dublin).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 2

This was always one of my all time favorite shows. For some reason I recently got an urge to rewatch so started a week or so ago binge watching my dvd set. I just finished season 2. Damn, what a great show this was! 

• Like 6
  • Love 4