Type keyword(s) to search

Breaking Bad - General Discussion

Message added by nodorothyparker

This general catchall thread for talking Breaking Bad now also includes discussion of the followup movie El Camino.  The movie is currently available on Netflix so discussion doesn't require spoiler tags.  Proceed at your own risk.

• Start Topic

It's a shame that this fantastic, iconic series has been cut back to just one empty thread (a thread that I had a hell of a time finding, by the way), but I guess it is what it is.   It's better than nothing!

Anyway, the movie is coming up in October, on Netflix --

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

YEAH, BITCH!

MAGNETS!

2 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

It's a shame that this fantastic, iconic series has been cut back to just one empty thread (a thread that I had a hell of a time finding, by the way), but I guess it is what it is.   It's better than nothing!

Anyway, the movie is coming up in October, on Netflix --

Wait I thought we already knew what happened to Jesse. He moved to LA and crashed on a depressed horse's couch for a few years.

Also I guess we know why Better Call Saul is taking so long!

• Love 5
On 4/30/2019 at 10:15 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Bryan Cranston has been nominated for a Tony!

Best Leading Actor in a Play
Paddy Considine, The Ferryman
Bryan Cranston, Network
Jeff Daniels, To Kill a Mockingbird
Adam Driver, Burn This
Jeremy Pope, Choir Boy

And he won, too.   His 2nd Tony in 5 years. 

• Love 3

It's interesting to see the assorted reactions about this movie on social media.   Most people seem to be happy about it (I know that I am happy about it, for sure!), but there are a few people with concerns about the movie ruining the great ending to the series.

I think that everyone had already heard that there was a movie in the works, but apparently the movie was already filmed and wrapped up much sooner than anyone realized (the cast and crew did an excellent job of keeping it quiet as it was in production), so its October premiere is kind of surprising. 

I think this person's reaction probably speaks for some skeptical fans of the series--

Edited by TVFan17
  • LOL 4
  • Love 11

Every time I see him I have to mimic his indignant declaration: "I'm Skinny Pete!" Can't remember what episode it was but I think he says it to Walt. 

My Facebook post 11 hours ago: 

OMG!! A "Breaking Bad" movie!! OMG!! OMG!! A "Breaking Bad" movie!! OMG!! A "Breaking Bad" movie!! OMG!! A "Breaking Bad" movie!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!

The loop that's been in my brain for the last 20 minutes after learning the surprise news.

ETA: It was Tuco's men, not Walt. Still cracks me up because he's so sure they should know him!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Somehow, I'm still paying Netflix's lesser Mexican rate. I signed up on my Kindle back in 2016 when my dad was in a car accident in Mexico and I had to go down there. I needed something to watch in my tiny junior hotel room. Even though I and a friend ( who is using my guest account) have ISPs in the U.S.--and it knows this because it alerts me whenever she logs on from different Starbucks down in California--I am still being charged at that rate with a tiny international transaction fee (less than 50 cents).

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 3
On August 26, 2019 at 9:14 AM, Scout Finch said:

Somehow, I'm still paying Netflix's lesser Mexican rate. I signed up on my Kindle back in 2016 when my dad was in a car accident in Mexico and I had to go down there. I needed something to watch in my tiny junior hotel room. Even though I and a friend ( who is using my guest account) have ISPs in the U.S.--and it knows this because it alerts me whenever she logs on from different Starbucks down in California--I am still being charged at that rate with a tiny international transaction fee (less than 50 cents).

How much (if you don't mind telling)?

Back in May on Mothers Day, a daughter added me to her Netflix account. At first I didn't think I'd use it much —Hulu had more content I watch. But lately more and more things of interest to me (like this BrBa movie) are being added to Netflix.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

How much (if you don't mind telling)?

Back in May on Mothers Day, a daughter added me to her Netflix account. At first I didn't think I'd use it much —Hulu had more content I watch. But lately more and more things of interest to me (like this BrBa movie) are being added to Netflix.

This month it was $6.67, plus a 20 cent international fee which must be the currency conversion fee. I just have the basic streaming plan, which is $8.99 here.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

This month it was $6.67, plus a 20 cent international fee which must be the currency conversion fee. I just have the basic streaming plan, which is $8.99 here.  

Hulu currently has a $5.99 deal.

Netflix has a free month and then

• a low-res "Basic" $8.99 plan
  • hi-res "Standard" $12.99 for up to 2 users (thank you to my daughter!)
  • hi-res "Premium" for up to 4 users $15.99

My daughter and I don't even live in the same state, so if you want to split the cost with friends or family, that would be roughly $3.50 - $4 each.

• Love 1

Yeah, there's more stuff on Netflix that I'm interested in so I haven't signed up for Hulu. The sole reason I got Netflix when I was in Mexico was to watch Breaking Bad(...again). My dad was in critical condition and I wanted to be able to watch something familiar that I knew I would enjoy (strange to think of it cheering me up!). The basic plan also has guest accounts (profiles using the same User ID and password) because a friend had added me to his several years ago and now that I have my own I've done the same for a friend in another state who is on a low fixed income.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 2

Just watching the last few episodes of the final season(I'm weird, I watched the first few episodes in 2008 but then stopped and then after the show ended decided to watch one season every few years) Anyway just got to "Ozymandias" the third to last episode and the one I see mentioned so much in the media. My reaction was the same I had when I saw Mad Max Fury Road in the theaters which is "Well, this is good but I don't see why everyone keeps hyping it so damn much" until the third act where I go "OH MY GOD". That phone call. The moment Skyler(and the audience) realizing what Walt's doing is absolving her of all guilt to the police by pretending to be the monster they now all think he is. Bryan Cranston and Anna Gunn were both incredible.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

Several years ago the friend that got me hooked on BB moved into his first house. My housewarming gift: a box with a Los Pollos Hermanos sticker on the top, and inside was a bag of the blue rock candy meth, a copy of the front cover of a Pontiac Aztek owner's manual, and a box cutter.

Taped to the inside lid was a note where I used the show's logo for the letters at the beginning of each sentence: "Now you can make some mad cheddar, yo!" "The mortgage ain't gonna pay itself, BITCH!"

I did a lot of cackling as I was putting it together and I am still overly pleased with myself!

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

I am looking forward to the upcoming movie.  Will this will be the place to talk about it?  

Presumably, since it's the only place we have.  The old Breaking Bad forum was archived since the show is no longer on the air. 

• Love 2
On 9/3/2019 at 7:17 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Presumably, since it's the only place we have.  The old Breaking Bad forum was archived since the show is no longer on the air. 

Although from what I read today the movie is going to get a very limited release, like one day in select cities so maybe it will be in the movies section.

Also consider how under the radar this thing was maybe they filmed it in Alaska. Didn't Jesse want to go to Alaska?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Although from what I read today the movie is going to get a very limited release, like one day in select cities so maybe it will be in the movies section.

Also consider how under the radar this thing was maybe they filmed it in Alaska. Didn't Jesse want to go to Alaska?

Yes.  Alaska was tossed around as a place for Jesse to go at one point.   This movie was apparently filmed in New Mexico, just as the series was.

I am one of the only people I know who does not have Netflix.  I have been avoiding it for a long time, because I didn't want to get sucked into any other series and take on another expense.  I have also avoided the free trial Netflix offers because I wanted to save it for the right time.   Well, since I have no clue how long it's going to take for the movie to get to AMC and I don't want to see it in a theater, it looks like it might be time for me to do the Netflix free trial in October!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4

I've resisted Hulu and CBS All-access, but I don't regret getting Netflix.  It's got some awesome TV shows not available anywhere else.  Heck, it's worth it to me just for The Great British Baking Show.  

BTW, the "El Camino" part of the title is related to the car Jesse was driving when he broke out of the compound. 

• Love 6

"'Breaking Bad' Returns: Aaron Paul and Vince Gilligan Take a TV Classic for a Spin in 'El Camino'" (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/breaking-bad-movie-aaron-paul-series-creator-revisiting-amc-show-1240406) :

. . . features more than 10 familiar characters from the show.

. . . Better Call Saul DP Marshall Adams shot the movie on the ARRI Alexa 65 camera used for The Revenant and in a 2.39 wide-screen format that seems designed to showcase a gunslinger's squint across the desert . . .

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh God, I hope that the cops aren't going to pin Walt's killings of Jack and the gang on Jesse. Yeah, he killed Todd but that was justiable homicide if there ever was one.

Not sure, but they might try to pin Hank's death on him, at least as some kind of accessory type of thing. I mean he is the only person who was there who is still alive.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

And then there was Gale.

Yea but I was more thinking that law enforcement would be more motivated to close Bank and Gomie's deaths and have someone go to jail for it. Especially since they know Hank and Jesse had issues and that Jesse had a connection to Walt and the Nazis.

I hope we'll be seeing a certain vacuum cleaner salesman in the movie.    

For that matter, I also hope Kim Wexler meets the same person.. Basically, I want the BB-verse to continue on.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This looks great but poor poor Jessie. Hasn’t he been through enough?!?

Yeah, the poor guy has been through hell. Looks like he's going to have some PTSD there. I don't know if Walt makes an appearance but if he does, I would think it would be through Jessie's hallucinations or something like that.

• Love 4

I'm so excited to see the movie - one week from today!   The promo (that we have all seen -- featuring Jesse) is very chilling.  They did a good job with it (music and all).  

I can't even believe it's been 6 years since the series ended, but I'm glad Vince Gilligan and Aaron Paul didn't rush into this movie.  It sounds as though a lot of thought was given to it, and Vince put time into making sure it was even worthwhile to do in the first place.   I trust that it will be at least somewhat decent, and not just some haphazard, thrown-together mess.   Even if the story somehow goes awry, we know that the acting will be top notch.  

The fact that Vince referred to this movie as "closed-ended" seems to suggest it's a one-time thing, just to bring some closure to the Jesse story.   So if this is the only movie we get, I hope it delivers on what it's trying to accomplish.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I'm so excited to see the movie - one week from today! 

Feel free to give us a few more reminders! The last 6 years have taken a toll, even though I’m still younger than the top 4 presidential candidates, heh. 

• Love 3

Whelp,  I  just finished re-watching the last season in preparation for El Camino.

I cannot wait! I'd forgotten just how goddamed gorgeous this show was. Forgotten how horrible Walt was. Forgotten how perfect the ending was. Forgotten how much I missed this show!

See you all after the premiere!

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Love 5

Has everyone seen this clip of Aaron Paul giving the rundown of Breaking Bad, to prepare people for the movie?   He was just a guest on the Jimmy Kimmel show, which I somehow missed, but I saw this pop up on YouTube. It's funny.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6

Watching El Camino now, is this where we discuss it?

Meth Damon has turned into Fat Damon. 

Good to see the old characters return. I don't know if I should put stuff in spoilers?

Spoiler

He did end up in Alaska

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Got home from work at 7:00 pm, took a nap until 11:45, and then logged onto Netflix at 12:03. There was no way in hell I was going to wait a second longer to watch it! Although I have to get up in four hours for work I am too wired now from the joy of being immersed again in the Breaking Bad universe!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5