Type keyword(s) to search

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Much better.  And capable over and over of being thought-provoking and emotionally stirring without nudity, rape, or failed beheadings (or any other over the top gore).  They got their reactions from characters, plots, and good writing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8

I'm thinking of embarking on a rewatch.

Strange thing is, I don't remember some of the later seasons.  One of the most iconic things from this series is a star ship being destroyed the first time they encounter the Dominion.  Not sure what that season was, nor do I recall what happened after that.

I was going to see if I can get into Discovery but it's got poor reviews while DS9 has the second highest RT rating on average after TNG.

For me, when I saw on live TV one of the jetliners crash into one of the World Trade Center towers, I thought of the Dominion, going kamikaze to destroy that star ship.  That was fanaticism which was an existential threat.  No I didn't buy into the "terrorists want to destroy us for who we are" propaganda but I saw the jolt to our existence that the Federation must have felt in that remote quadrant of space.

More menacing even than the Borg, at least viscerally.

Good to see it's widely available on streaming on Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix but I guess it's under appreciated and it's not in HD nor probably has surround sound.

• Love 2

I was able to see the doc via the early stream for backers and can say it's well worth buying tickets if you're able to do so.  I believe they are adding dates in the US and Canada, and, of course, the DVD/Blu-Ray will follow.

I am beholden not to spoil it, but, OMG, it left me all verklempt and missing my favorite Trek all over again.

• Love 2

I saw it yesterday too. It was very good. I really enjoyed the interviews with the cast and how they made references that only real fans would get. The theater laughed at various parts and clapped at the end. So it was good experience to see with other fans.

I also want that episode made. 

Spoiler

Though how could they kill Nog? I loved Aaron's reaction lol.

Anyhow, I'd recommend this to any fan, however you may have to wait to the dvd's out to see it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blueray said:
Spoiler

Though how could they kill Nog? I loved Aaron's reaction lol.

Spoiler

That's easily fixed in a future episode: Prophet Ex Machina.   Sisco can pull the entire Defiant crew off the ship and out of time from microseconds before the explosion, and drop them on the Promenade safe and sound at a moment's notice at any time.

• Love 2

Here's a pretty good article discussing the show's place in "black canon" as well as the new documentary.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/what-we-left-behind-documentary-deep-space-nine.html

I've always felt DS9 had amazingly complex, diverse and rich characterizations and was, in many ways, ahead of its time.  I'm glad more people are now seeing that and acknowledging it.  It's about time the show got its due in the greater ST universe.

• Love 2

On one of the DVDs, there's video of Nana Visitor from the S7 wrap party where she said she was hopeful someone would find the show in reruns and realize "Damn, that was a good show!"

Took us a while, but we got there.

• Love 7
(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:07 AM, scrb said:

One of the most iconic things from this series is a star ship being destroyed the first time they encounter the Dominion.  Not sure what that season was, nor do I recall what happened after that.

That would be The Odyssey, the Galaxy-class ship that went into the Gamma Quadrant to rescue Commander Sisko in The Search (the finale of Season 2). This was the start of the Federation/Dominion Cold War (the Jem'Hadar claimed they would destroy any ships entering the Gamma Quadrant).

Edited by John Potts
  • Useful 1

That’s such a pity. I really enjoyed his character’s friendship with Jake and how he and Rom really brought out the nuance in what had been a frankly rather nastily depicted species. They were so sweet and so unstereotypical, while at the same time being proud Ferengi.

But it was Eisenburg’s work when Nog was injured and suffering from PTSD that was a real standout. That was a real test, and he passed it as an actor. I think that storyline and how he portrayed it meant a lot to people who didn’t even realize, when it was first shown on TV, that it was going to (very soon) be so important to them. How do you continue when all your dreams are shattered? How to go on when the identity and organization you lived and worked for is the cause of all your suffering? It was really beautiful and he brought a real truth to it.

It’s so sad that he has gone. 

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 12

I just heard the news.  Very, very sad.  Aron was a great addition to DS9 and was part of that show's rich recurring cast.  Nog had a great character arc and Aron delivered, with "It's Only A Paper Moon" being the highlight.  Only Deep Space Nine would allow two recurring actors to carry an episode and Aron and James Darren, again, delivered. 

RIP, Aron.  My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

And just now, Rene Auberjonois is gone:  https://www.pix11.com/news/national-news/benson-star-trek-actor-rene-auberjonois-has-died-at-79?fbclid=IwAR29D8Y1j72EuzUrhPkfI23jTBa930DONB3E7Yxn-c3b78vG54r5GamsPxU

That's three losses this week for the entire ST franchise (Robert Walker Jr., "Charlie X" also died yesterday at age 79). Hopefully, this marks the end of the "always in threes" rule. And RIP, Mr. Auberjonois!

7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's three losses this week for the entire ST franchise

And it's the week we should be celebrating the original re-birth of the franchise with the anniversary of the premiere of the first motion picture.

I just found out that they are removing DS9 seasons from Amazon Prime.  Right now only S1 and S2 are still free.  They are taking down a bunch of my favorite shows.  I have the DVDs.  What I can't seem to find is a reliably working DVD player that doesn't break down on me much sooner than I think it should.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:25 PM, Ailianna said:

BBC America is now showing DS9 in 4 hour blocks.  Starting in S4 for some reason.  (Or I've been unaware for three seasons worth of episodes!)

Introducing Commander Worf. I guess even in strip syndication shows are not allowed the time to build that DS9 had back when it premiered. I would guess that when it rolls back you will get the beginning.  The last episodes of season 1 generally considered among  the best of all the Trek series

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 8:25 PM, Ailianna said:

BBC America is now showing DS9 in 4 hour blocks.  Starting in S4 for some reason.  (Or I've been unaware for three seasons worth of episodes!)

They're now running it all day long on Monday & Tuesday.  Which is a pain in the butt for me, I'd rather than run it in 3 or 4 episode blocks per day like they do with NG, but at least they're running it.  I've been trying to tape episodes which I'd particularly enjoyed.  Yesterday's were Little Green Men, where Quark, Rom and Nog go back in time and crash land in Roswell, and Our Man Bashir, where Dr. Bashir's James Bond-like holosuite program ends up having to store various station personnel's life patterns and they become part of the story.

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 3:06 PM, aquarian1 said:

DS9, along with all the prior trek series aside from animated, are also on Comet.  Every week night, starting at 7pn central - Star Trek, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise.

Man, I wish I got Comet.

It's right next to H&I in my line up. 😄  Honestly, I hadn't heard of it either, but that's one benefit of scrolling through the channel guide with "all channels" selected - I found it and apparently it's part of my package since i can watch it.

I've spent the last few weeks binge-watching the complete run of DS9 (thank you Netflix).  I'm in the middle of season 6 right now and I have to say that watching these last three seasons has been a revelation.  I remember almost NOTHING.  It's like watching a brand-new series.  Which -- I have to say  -- is freaking me out a bit.  Is my memory really so faulty?

There is another possibility.  I recall that there was a bit of friction between the DS9 fans and the Babylon 5 fans when both shows were on the air.  I was definitely an active participant in the Babylon 5 fandom because I knew someone who worked on the show.  But my recollection is that I watched DS9 too (once a Trekker, always a Trekker) -- I just wasn't as involved in the online fandom.  (The writer of Babylon 5 did a great job of connecting with and cultivating the online fandom for B5.)  But given that I am recalling NONE of these latest DS9 episodes, I am beginning to wonder if I didn't stop watching DS9 out of some misguided loyalty to B5.

So what this means now is that I'm watching (and enjoying) DS9 as though it is a brand new show.  And man, it can go SO DARK.  I just saw one episode wherein Miles O'Brien was working undercover on behalf of Starfleet intelligence, another where Kira went back in time to find out the true nature of Gul Dukat's relationship with her mother, and yet another where Worf and his new bride Jadzia go on a mission together and Worf is forced to choose between completing his assignment or saving Jadzia.  All three episodes were downright film noir. 

Great show.  I'm really enjoying my re-watch.  But how is it that I remember NONE of this?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

But given that I am recalling NONE of these latest DS9 episodes, I am beginning to wonder if I didn't stop watching DS9 out of some misguided loyalty to B5.

There are a couple other possibilities.  DS9, like TNG before it and B5 also, was a first-run syndication series.  Meaning that, unlike TOS and VOY, there was no one network it aired on, nor any fixed schedule for airing.  Different stations in different cities aired episodes on different days of the week at different hours.  And syndicated shows like these also tended to be moved around a lot, so the stations could maximize the ratings.  Or, if the station heads aren't fans, they get relegated to unusual slots to fill the air time and burn out the contract.  It's possible that your local stations did something like that with DS9; either moving it around so much you lost track of when it aired, or it got put into a slot you missed.

Another possibility is that in your area, both B5 and DS9 were airing at the exact same day and time on different channels.  And since you had a personal connection to the one show, you watched that one.

• Love 1

Well, my binge-watch continues and tonight brought me to season 7's "The Siege of AR-558" and "Covenant."

Holy shit.

It was compelling TV, don't get me wrong but . . . holy shit.  And I thought the show had gone "dark" before.  I was aware of the existence of Ezri Dax and how she came to join the cast in season 7, so I must have seen SOME of that season, but I sure as heck had not seen these two episodes before.  I'm not gonna lie, they were pretty grueling to watch.  But I mean that as a compliment.

This show . . . 

Edited to add:  And now my watch is ended.  Damn that was good.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
On 2/24/2020 at 11:37 PM, WatchrTina said:

I'm not gonna lie, they were pretty grueling to watch.

The scene where Quark, having just given a good speech about how the Ferengi would have found a way to avoid the war, having to kill a Jem'Hadar in order to protect Nog has stuck with me more than just about any other from this show.

Also, I loved this tweet from one of the show's writers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I've been re-watching DS9 on BBC-America since January and I hadn't noticed it on the first run back in the 1990's, but boy, was Keiko O'Brien a bitch!  Always complaining about everything and gone for months at a time with their daughter on Bajor.  Miles was a saint to put up with her constant whining.  And I couldn't stand their kid, Molly, either.  What a brat!  I'm not looking to fan the flames of shippers, but he had a much better relationship with Dr. Bashir.