Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

1 hour ago, rogvortex58 said:

Game of Thrones in space.

No, it's better than that.

• Like 6

Much better.  And capable over and over of being thought-provoking and emotionally stirring without nudity, rape, or failed beheadings (or any other over the top gore).  They got their reactions from characters, plots, and good writing.

• Like 6

I'm thinking of embarking on a rewatch.

Strange thing is, I don't remember some of the later seasons.  One of the most iconic things from this series is a star ship being destroyed the first time they encounter the Dominion.  Not sure what that season was, nor do I recall what happened after that.

I was going to see if I can get into Discovery but it's got poor reviews while DS9 has the second highest RT rating on average after TNG.

For me, when I saw on live TV one of the jetliners crash into one of the World Trade Center towers, I thought of the Dominion, going kamikaze to destroy that star ship.  That was fanaticism which was an existential threat.  No I didn't buy into the "terrorists want to destroy us for who we are" propaganda but I saw the jolt to our existence that the Federation must have felt in that remote quadrant of space.

More menacing even than the Borg, at least viscerally.

Good to see it's widely available on streaming on Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix but I guess it's under appreciated and it's not in HD nor probably has surround sound.

• Like 1

^That looks awesome! I really would love to see that.

I was able to see the doc via the early stream for backers and can say it's well worth buying tickets if you're able to do so.  I believe they are adding dates in the US and Canada, and, of course, the DVD/Blu-Ray will follow.

I am beholden not to spoil it, but, OMG, it left me all verklempt and missing my favorite Trek all over again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Saw the doc a few hours ago.   Loved it.  Great mix of emotional moments.

And I really want that Season 8 episode made....

• Like 1

I saw it yesterday too. It was very good. I really enjoyed the interviews with the cast and how they made references that only real fans would get. The theater laughed at various parts and clapped at the end. So it was good experience to see with other fans.

I also want that episode made. 

Spoiler

Though how could they kill Nog? I loved Aaron's reaction lol.

Anyhow, I'd recommend this to any fan, however you may have to wait to the dvd's out to see it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueray said:
Spoiler

Though how could they kill Nog? I loved Aaron's reaction lol.

Spoiler

That's easily fixed in a future episode: Prophet Ex Machina.   Sisco can pull the entire Defiant crew off the ship and out of time from microseconds before the explosion, and drop them on the Promenade safe and sound at a moment's notice at any time.

• Like 2

Here's a pretty good article discussing the show's place in "black canon" as well as the new documentary.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/what-we-left-behind-documentary-deep-space-nine.html

I've always felt DS9 had amazingly complex, diverse and rich characterizations and was, in many ways, ahead of its time.  I'm glad more people are now seeing that and acknowledging it.  It's about time the show got its due in the greater ST universe.

• Like 1

On one of the DVDs, there's video of Nana Visitor from the S7 wrap party where she said she was hopeful someone would find the show in reruns and realize "Damn, that was a good show!"

Took us a while, but we got there.

• Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:07 AM, scrb said:

One of the most iconic things from this series is a star ship being destroyed the first time they encounter the Dominion.  Not sure what that season was, nor do I recall what happened after that.

That would be The Odyssey, the Galaxy-class ship that went into the Gamma Quadrant to rescue Commander Sisko in The Search (the finale of Season 2). This was the start of the Federation/Dominion Cold War (the Jem'Hadar claimed they would destroy any ships entering the Gamma Quadrant).

Edited by John Potts
  • Useful 1