Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E17: Don't Be Gunn Shy

• Start Topic

(edited)

Things I learned from Hollywood Game Night:  apparently, it's Napoleon ice cream.  Silly me, calling it Neapolitan all these years.  Shows what I get for trusting what's on the carton.   

I like Tim Gunn, but this isn't exactly his scene.  Maybe if he had Andre long to help loosen him up.  Then they could go to Red Lobster after.

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 9

Smash The Buzzer was the best round, competition-wise, imo. Show Me The Music was the best for laughing hysterically!  Bridgette was so, so close on a couple and so, so lost on most; I felt badly for her. Yet, I laughed.

Leslie Bibb was on fi-ah! during the Celebrity Name Game! I still don't get how you don't know Scarlet Johanson (Don Jon? Ryan Reynolds' ex or wife?) or Jack Black (martial arts panda, School of Rock?) Still, despite those two passes, Leslie got the job done with around 15 seconds to spare! Kudos, Ms. Bibb.

I don't really watch any of Mr. Gunn's series, but he brought the whimsy with his suit and he brought his A game and took the games seriously enough. (His 'flapper' will always make me grin!) He seemed a little stiff in the Harold Finch-way (it seemed as if it was a little hard for him to turn his neck.) Still, I hope Tim gets asked back. As I hope DAG gets asked back! His "They're all 'n-words'?!" and his "correction" of Leslie's "took pot" comment were great! That couch made the show for me.

Tiffani seemed like she should've been on the other couch. Poppy didn't have a good night and Probst was going between smug and subdued, with scatterings of trash talk. I was okay with the popcorn because he got the guess right in Celebrity Fusion after he called it. Truthfully, I was kinda hoping he'd miss. At least Leslie was gracious about getting booted in Smash The Buzzer and got her shoes nicely.

I saw what Natalie was meaning when she picked Leslie- Leslie was such a cheerleader for her side. That's why I also want David Alan Grier back; I think on any other mix, he'd be  a bit more animated.

Overall, a good, close game.  By rounds it was (Bridgette/Natalie): 2/3, 9/10, 15/18,and 31/32. It was Show Me The Music that made the big divide (ended with 41/62.)

• Love 2

Natalie was one of the best contestants they've had, I think. She made a good showing in all the games. I was momentarily concerned when she chose Leslie for the final round, as she hadn't stood out for me at that point, but it turned out to be absolutely the right call. They played it well (we haven't seen it won in a while, have we?). Including the all-important strategy of quickly cutting your losses when a name isn't going well (despite how obvious they might seem to us viewers) and moving on. Most of the losses of that round have happened because the celeb couldn't bear to waste the time already spent on a name and kept with it for 10 more seconds, again and again. Nicely done, ladies.

I like David Alan Grier, and he got off some good lines between games, but he was hopeless on the memory part of the Link game. I've also had lots of fondness for Tim Gunn, but this wasn't really home territory for him. I was worried Natalie would pick him for the endgame, and he wouldn't know who any of the young Hollywood people were and would embarrass himself. Jeff was kind of an ass, which was satisfying to see as that's how I think of him.

• Love 1

Leslie Bibb was excellent on this show. She was invested in the games and killed at the final game. She gave a nice mix of clues between movie roles and personal life and even did some imitations. Her contestant was lucky she was so good because Alan was a dud and dragged the team down.

Poor Tiffany was stuck on a lame team. She is normally much more entertaining and she was excellent in the music game. Her Tik Tok was perfect.

• Love 1

What I liked about Natalie was that during Smash The Buzzer, she was shoeless and in position and laser-focused on the names Jane was giving. She'd spare the odd look, at what I assumed was Tiffani, and was just locked in. In a one shouldered, Grecian-style dress. (I liked the color but couldn't tell if it was peach or a salmon-y color.)

Good game. The contestants were both really good -- except for Bridget in the last game. I was impressed by both of them in Sounds Off, which almost always stumps me. What was the sample one that Natalie got? Thumbs Eagle Bows Key? That's not The Great Lebowski, is it?

I love Tim Gunn. He's such a kind and classy guy. I don't think he was really suited (hee) for this show, although he did really well at Link in the Chain.

I was glad Natalie picked Leslie. That's who I would have gone with. At first I didn't think she was very good -- I guess in the Celebrity Fusion game -- but then she got better, or the games were more her style.

I love Show Me The Music. Leslie was really good in that. Oh, Bridget was bad in this one, too. She couldn't get Sledgehammer or I Walk the Line? Has she not heard of those songs?

In the Bonus Round, how the heck did Natalie get Kate Winslet from "English actress who was in everything"?

I still don't get how you don't know Scarlet Johanson (Don Jon? Ryan Reynolds' ex or wife?) or Jack Black (martial arts panda, School of Rock?)

Yeah, those were tough. Of course now, without the pressure, we could come up with something. For Jack Black, you could say he's in Tenacious D, but I think just mentioning several of his movies should do it -- Kung Fu Panda, School of Rock, maybe Bernie. For Scarlet Johannson, I think saying she was Black Widow in The Avengers was good, but Leslie confused things by going on and on about how gorgeous she was. Some of her movies you could list are Lost in Translation, She (just the voice), maybe The Girl with the Pearl Earring.

• Love 1
(edited)

They've only done "Sound Off" twice now, but it's already one of my favorites. I think I could watch an entire episode of just that game. Just so fun.

I felt bad for the contestant on the Montgomery/Probst/Thiessen team though. She was really hardcore on that game, and it was clear how unamused she was at how much time they were wasting (couldn't blame her). They made up for it on the chain game though (and then she blew it on that terrible final round. No one to blame but herself.)

I thought David Alan Grier was the worst and I hope he doesn't come back. That chain game was painful with how much time he was wasting. The only explanation I can think of is that he simply wasn't paying attention during Tim's turn, which is inexcusable. Speaking of Tim, I loved how he was the only one to really get that game. Unlike all the others, who wasted time by saying the answer, then going back and repeating all the previous ones and saying his answer again, he played it as directed (and how the players did the last time they did this game), not giving his answer at all until he'd said all the previous ones. The time he saved was much needed with Grier dicking around.

That final round was enjoyably tense--during the final few names I was convinced time was going to run out, especially with Selena Gomez (I wouldn't have had any idea what to say)--and it was nice to see someone win again.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 1

I'm getting used to not knowing who the majority of the celebs are on this game week after week, being old and without Netflix. But hooray for Leslie, for finally giving us a great final round that was both non-cringe-inducing and successful!  And you all are right: David Alan Grier was eh at best (and slapworthy at worst.) Still love Tim Gunn, and Jeff Probst was as big a walking ego as I had imagined he'd be.

• Love 1

Things I learned from Hollywood Game Night:  apparently, it's Napoleon ice cream.  Silly me, calling it Neapolitan all these years.  Shows what I get for trusting what's on the carton.  

I know it's Neapolitan but for years when I was younger I called it Napoleon. I still do in my head.

I like Tim Gunn, but this isn't exactly his scene.  Maybe if he had Andre long to help loosen him up.  Then they could go to Red Lobster after.

HA!

What was the sample one that Natalie got? Thumbs Eagle Bows Key? That's not The Great Lebowski, is it?

I'm not sure if those were the actual words they gave, but the movie is "The Big Lebowski."

So happy to see somebody win the final game again. I thought Leslie was absolutely the right choice for that round. I wouldn't have even had a second choice.

In the Bonus Round, how the heck did Natalie get Kate Winslet from "English actress who was in everything"?

I know, right? Hilarious!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm getting used to not knowing who the majority of the celebs are on this game week after week, being old and without Netflix. But hooray for Leslie, for finally giving us a great final round that was both non-cringe-inducing and successful!  And you all are right: David Alan Grier was eh at best (and slapworthy at worst.) Still love Tim Gunn, and Jeff Probst was as big a walking ego as I had imagined he'd be.

Was that really true this week?  I'd say Leslie was the smallest "star" in this bunch, and even she's hardly a nobody (having several series under her belt, as well as having been in the Iron Man movies and Talladega Nights).

I see they're back to choosing un-real real people. Natalie reminded me so much of Laura Benanti that I kept forgetting she was the civilian.

Yeah, at least with the female contestants, apparently you aren't allowed to not be a pretty person.

That final round was enjoyably tense--during the final few names I was convinced time was going to run out, especially with Selena Gomez (I wouldn't have had any idea what to say)--and it was nice to see someone win again.

The clue was something like "Bieber's girlfriend" or "Bieber's ex", wasn't it?  That would seem to be the best possible clue for those who have never actually seen a TV show or movie she's done (or know the names of her lame songs).  Tabloid fodder seems to be the way to go.  MAYBE "Spring Breakers" might be the one project she was involved in that the non-Disney generation might know.

I suppose my sequence of clues might have been "Bieber's Ex. Hispanic. Disney Kid.  Actress/Pop Star.  In that Spring Breakers movie."

Edited by Kromm
That would seem to be the best possible clue for those who have never actually seen a TV show or movie she's done (or know the names of her lame songs).

And didn't they use the title of one of her songs in Smash the Buzzer when they were doing the Miley Cyrus part? 

That made me laugh so hard because upon reflection it is so true. 

I LOVED Tim Gunn. If I were to ever be on this show I would want him because even though he's so bad, he's so gracious. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Things I learned from Hollywood Game Night:  apparently, it's Napoleon ice cream.  Silly me, calling it Neapolitan all these years.  Shows what I get for trusting what's on the carton.

This drove me nuts. Was the correct response actually "Napoleon" and Thiessen just happened to guess the wrong answer to the clues, or was the correct response "neopolitan" and they gave it to them?

Edited by Bretley

It was "Napoleon", and Thiessen just made the same mistake the civilian did.

I thought Leslie Bibb was going to be annoying early on, with her over-the-top gloating at getting the first Fusion, but she grew on me after a while. She was pretty much the only one doing anything on her team's round of Show Me the Music, and some of her impressions in the final round were hilarious.

David Alan Grier was amazingly useless, although I guess I can't complain since it did give us an extra few seconds of Leslie doing her flapper dance.

Fun episode, I wouldn't mind seeing any of the celebrities but Probst on again. Even Grier, though a lousy player, was funny occasionally.

This drove me nuts. Was the correct response actually "Napoleon" and Thiessen just happened to guess the wrong answer to the clues, or was the correct response "neopolitan" and they gave it to them?

Yes, clearly they made the same mistake--which puzzled me even MORE because "Napolean", in addition to being a French tyrant, is also an actual REAL food item--a pastry the French call mille-feuille, but that every American bakery calls "Napolean". 

d8BzHwA.jpgjzrOPAa.jpg

To me the proper sequence of clues would have been something like this:

French Emperor. {if they don't get it}. Flaky pastry named after that guy.  Movie "Blank Dynamite".

• Love 4

I thought David Alan Grier was the worst and I hope he doesn't come back. That chain game was painful with how much time he was wasting. The only explanation I can think of is that he simply wasn't paying attention during Tim's turn, which is inexcusable. Speaking of Tim, I loved how he was the only one to really get that game. Unlike all the others, who wasted time by saying the answer, then going back and repeating all the previous ones and saying his answer again, he played it as directed (and how the players did the last time they did this game), not giving his answer at all until he'd said all the previous ones. The time he saved was much needed with Grier dicking around.

Absolutely, on both counts.

• Love 1
(edited)

Probst got on my nerves the whole time. I wanted to smack him the whole time.

The best laugh I got in the episode was Leslie Bibb screaming "I don't take pot! I don't take pot!", followed by David Allen Grier saying "....It's smoke pot."

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

He just can't help that smug look on his face, can he?  It's fairly automatic/built-in by this point in his life.

The best laugh I got in the episode was Leslie Bibb screaming "I don't take pot! I don't take pot!", followed by David Allen Grier saying "....It's smoke pot."

That was the best part of the episode. She sounded like such a dork saying that.

• Love 1

I love David Alan Grier but he was kind of a mess. I think Tim actually did fairly well. He was a rockstar in the memory game, especially given his team. It was nice to have two civilians who were really there to win. They chose some good games this episode. It wasn't the best episode but it was fun. I'm still waiting for the day when they start bringing together the all-star panels. Not just a few repeat celebs but the best celebs and some good civilians (not repeats) to really test the people designing the games and writing the clues. I felt bad for Brigitte during Show Me the Music as she didn't seem to know the songs she was trying to guess and was off by a pronoun or article. I think it didn't help that her team wasn't working together as much. For example, Jeff's Brick House clues fit the song but they don't help her guess the title and threw her off of Tiffani and Poppy's clues.

As for the bonus round. I wouldn't have felt safe picking anyone on Team Brigitte. DAG is great but after the way he whiffed the chain game I wouldn't trust him for the bonus round. Tim actually did OK in some of the games but I think unless you've got an amazing older player it's always safer to go with someone younger so Leslie really ended up being the only acceptable choice. Natalie passed on some weird ones but she was also really smart about passing quickly which I appreciated.

I loved Tiffani's laugh at Kate Winslet. I love crazy laughs.

Hey, I was just re-watching this episode in the background, and was wondering about the Smash the Buzzer rules. When Poppy Montgomery buzzed in on SOPRANOS characters on "Carmela" with a gag last name, I noticed that they passed by the correct answer "Bobby Bacala" earlier. If Poppy had realized it in time, since she knew right after buzzing that she was wrong, could she have gotten the point by answering "Bobby Bacala", or is it that once a right answer goes by you can't go back to it, and buzzing in only applies to the last answer Jane read?

Also, Leslie Bibb gets more adorable the more times you watch, and Probst gets worse.

Leslie Bibb was excellent on this show. She was invested in the games and killed at the final game. She gave a nice mix of clues between movie roles and personal life and even did some imitations.

I really liked how for most of her clues she began with "I am..." and then basically acted out the clue as the person who she was trying to describe, sometimes adding in voices. It was hilarious and really effective. She also did some good strategic passing.

Which got me thinking I am surprised that people in this game aren't better at passing. Yes I know there is a limited amount of clues, but like profs of mine used to say back in school, go through once and get all the easy ones and then go back and spend the time you need on the hard ones. In this case watch the clock and if it takes more than 5-9 seconds to get a clue, or you know you don't have a good description, just pass.

• Love 1

I agree. And in this case, the contestant was equally strategic about passing, presumably based on what she does and doesn't know well. She knew she was probably not going to do great with "standup comedian... big guy" (Jack Black) and passed right away.

If Poppy had realized it in time, since she knew right after buzzing that she was wrong, could she have gotten the point by answering "Bobby Bacala", or is it that once a right answer goes by you can't go back to it, and buzzing in only applies to the last answer Jane read?

In earlier episodes of the show you could go backwards if you puzzled out an answer to be right. In later episodes it almost seems like the name you buzz in on is THE name. 

I agree. And in this case, the contestant was equally strategic about passing, presumably based on what she does and doesn't know well. She knew she was probably not going to do great with "standup comedian... big guy" (Jack Black) and passed right away.

Yeah, especially since I don't think Jack Black has ever done standup in his life.  He's a comedic actor--he started with sketch comedy I believe but not the comedy clubs.  So it was really just the word "standup" that's the problem, because "big guy?  Standup?"  People would think like... Bernie Mac.  Or George Wallace.  Or some fat standups like Louie Anderson or Gabriel Iglesias.