Type keyword(s) to search

Endless Supplies of Gas and Other Nitpicks: It Doesn't Make Sense

• Start Topic

I plan to be chock full of preservatives.  Maybe Glenn should have mentioned his icky virus plague he had, oh, about a week ago.  Don't eat me!!  I'm contaminated!

• Love 2

bravelittletoaster:

How great would it be if the scene of Rick/Michonne/Carl was all

"I'm so hungry! On a hunger scale of 1 to 10, I'm at 28! All we talk about is food! I'm soooo starving!"

"oh, look I found a Claxton fruitcake!"

"You know...I'm not that hungry. I'll pass.."

• Love 5
(edited)

Fruitcake could be used as a potential weapon. 

I agree BLT you have fruitcake listed in the wrong thread(wink)

I like MaryJanes, all the people who hate children can give their candy to ME!

My answer is SPAM that is NOT a food, I'd rather eat a human, less mystery.

Edited by Cattitude

Didn't they kinda get the poisoning thing down? IMO, the whole pig "flu" thing should have taken care of the "what would it be like to have a sudden illness during the ZA?" Also, I don't really want to see the cast swatting flies in the Georgia heat every episode. That would bug the crap out of me! (No pun intended)

I would eat everything on this list, and have most of them. Maybe I would pass at my grandfather's favorite, scrambled eggs and brains. There's nothing like coming home from school to see a whole hogs head sitting on the kitchen counter.

• Love 2

I would eat pigs feet, pea soup, spam...before I'd eat those orange quasi-marshmallowish "Circus Peanuts". I once saw a jello-mold with those in lime gelatin.

I HATE CIRCUS PEANUTS!  And finding them in jello?  That is heinous and downright crazy.  But I might eat them before hog's brains.  That's probably the line for me.  Beyond ick.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay so the worst food I've ever seen, not eaten for sure

Canned Haggis.

I once saw a cooking challenge with Anne Burrell where she had to use that, and even SHE almost gagged. And anyone whose seen her cook knows her love of food is slightly X rated at times.

So if She don't like it....well.

You people just don't know what you're missing with Mary Janes and Circus Peanuts....I'll just have more for myself, now the lime jello is a bit much, but I'd still be in. Sugar in any form is awesome!

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 1

I don't think humans would be gamey.  Doesn't that flavor come from eating acorns and stuff?  Even in the zombie apocalypse a lot of what people are eating seems to be canned and boxed food they've scavenged, so still very processed with the occasional wild game thrown in.

And I have officially spent way too much time pondering whether humans would taste "gamey."  Though I have no doubt they're all smelling pretty gamey.

FWIW, Polynesian cannibals called human flesh "long pig."

The more you know ...

• Love 1

Cattitude Canned Haggis.

Well, to each their own, but it's not that different from a big sausage (although sausage skins are no longer made from intestines these days).The scene that really got me was Rick turning his nose up at feeding his baby Dog Food - it's still protein and that's what your kid needs!

• Love 1

Yeah! I could see a newb turning up their nose at dog food in the first week or two of the ZA, but they had supposedly been spending the whole winter on the run, staying in storage units etc. I would eat dog food to stay alive and I wouldn't think that I'd rather see my kid be emaciated than to eat a can of Ol' Roy.

I've eaten Primate Diet tm and it's great. Don't ever eat Purina Monkey Chow; it's greasy and suspicious tasting. But Primate Diet comes in cubes and looks a little (and tastes a lot) like LIFE cereal. Very good. Also stores for a long time. I wish I had a 20lb. bag right now!

My old boss says Sterno isn't bad if you strain it through bread first. Although that might be why he's not the boss anymore.

Didn't Andrea have food poisoning or something like it when she and Michonne were first taken to Woodbury?

I really hate eggs (yeah, I know I'm weird), so I'd really have to be on the lookout for protein sources during the ZA. I think I could choke down Spam and Vienna Sausages, but let's not forget dried beef in a jar.  Oh sweet, sweet nitrites...

Edited by eejm

I think Andrea was supposed to be suffering from flu or something like that.  Michonne gave her aspirin and she seemed to be running a fever, so I don't think it was food poisoning.

I hate fish, but I think in order to survive I'd find a way to choke it down.  I'd still give mushrooms a side-eye, knowing how many poisonous types there are out there and how easy it is to mix them up.  Don't need liver failure during the za.  And I'd eat snake gladly, Miss Beth, if I'd not eaten for a few days.

• Love 2

I'm glad I'm not a mushroom fan, but I do remember my old mum talking about her grandfather in Poland/Germany in the 30s-40s.  He was, among other very useful things during "ze vor" (the War), an avid forest forager and mushroom picker extraordinaire (among many other things that kept his family better off than most); his wife, on the other hand, threw an onion into the pan of mushrooms every time, because she didn't trust him not to kill them with a poisonous impostor (they claimed a "bad" mushroom turned the onion a "funky black", but I've not tested that old wives' tale - who would?!). 

I'd be looking for old people in the ZA - they've forgotten more than I could cram into a cheat sheet for survival.  :-)

• Love 2

I'd be looking for old people in the ZA - they've forgotten more than I could cram into a cheat sheet for survival.  :-)

Damn skippy.  My grandparents grew up during the Depression, had their early adulthood interrupted by WWII, and raised my mom and uncle on a very modest income in the 1950s and 1960s.  They grew a huge-ass garden much like the prison garden, much of which my grandma would can.  My grandpa took a big hunting trip to Canada in the fall and fished year round to provide some (relatively) free meat.  They made full use of nearly everything that came through their house.  Grandparents would rock the shit out of the ZA.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Actually Canada wouldn't be a bad place to head in the ZA.  Less densely populated, which I think would equal fewer walkers still lingering about, and also more game.  Sure, it gets cold in winter, but whatever, if people made do in colonial times no reason one couldn't do so now.

• Love 3

And I have officially spent way too much time pondering whether humans would taste "gamey."  Though I have no doubt they're all smelling pretty gamey.

*DEAD*

You win the internetz today for that gem, LOL!  

Damn skippy.  My grandparents grew up during the Depression, had their early adulthood interrupted by WWII, and raised my mom and uncle on a very modest income in the 1950s and 1960s.  They grew a huge-ass garden much like the prison garden, much of which my grandma would can.  My grandpa took a big hunting trip to Canada in the fall and fished year round to provide some (relatively) free meat.  They made full use of nearly everything that came through their house.  Grandparents would rock the shit out of the ZA.

My Grandparents too.  I don't think they ever even went to the grocery store.  They were Native American though, so they did all their own food, medicine, etc. They never threw any food out - things that we would think were spoiled they would use unless it was downright rancid, then they'd use it for something else.

Hell my Dad was actually born in a barn and put in a papoose carrier 3 hours later so she could get up and milk the cows.  Nothing made my Father more happy then when someone asked "Where you born in a barn?" because he could say "why yes, yes I was!" and they would be trapped into hearing the story of his birth.

Fast forward two generations and I thought I was going to DIE when my power was out for 3 days a couple of winters ago.  I'm hoping in the event of the Apocalypse some recessive gene will kick in.  At least I have a lot of knowledge about growing stuff & thangs and learned a lot about holistic medicine from the Grand Rents. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I understand why we didn't see this, but after the group settled in semi-permanently at the prison at the end of season 3, they probably had to find a library or bookstore to loot in a major way.  While I'm sure there was some collective knowledge to draw on, they had to figure out how to cultivate and care for crops on a large-ish scale, get running water to the place, make multiple repairs to the facility, preserve their veggies and game meat, and find a way to keep 50 some people consistently fed.  The prison did have a library, but I'd imagine that was stocked mostly with self-help, fiction, non-fiction, and religious books.  I wonder if the group had to fight off a lot of walkers to get in the library?  :D

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I understand why we didn't see this, but after the group settled in semi-permanently at the prison at the end of season 3, they probably had to find a library or bookstore to loot in a major way.  While I'm sure there was some collective knowledge to draw on, they had to figure out how to cultivate and care for crops on a large-ish scale, get running water to the place, make multiple repairs to the facility, preserve their veggies and game meat, and find a way to keep 50 some people consistently fed.  The prison did have a library, but I'd imagine that was stocked mostly with self-help, fiction, non-fiction, and religious books.  I wonder if the group had to fight off a lot of walkers to get in the library?  :D

Herschel said his family had been farming that Greene property for 160 years, so he knew enough for them to manage.

He probably knew all kinds of tricks.

http://twddeadtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/the-walking-dead-meme-rick-hershel-pot-farm-smoke-with-daryl-get-high-at-the-prison-walking-dead.jpg

• Love 3

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/What-Happens-Walking-Dead-Characters-Have-Sex-Getting-Bitten-68781.html

If you ever wanted to have sex with someone while they're turning, here's Kirkman's explanation of the risk.

Someone should have told Bob and Sasha.

Kirkman also says that eating tainted meat poses no risk:

Someone wrote in to the Letter Hacks section of The Walking Dead #134 recently and asked if someone infected by a zombie bite would then pass on the disease to someone else by having sex with them. Here’s how Kirkman explained it.

If you had a septic wound that was infecting your blood stream, would you pass that infection through sex? No. So…having sex with someone after they’ve been bitten…much like eating a living human’s flesh after they’ve been bitten (show reference…to a thing that happened years ago in the comic) has no effect on you.

• Love 1

Considering that the walkers are now falling apart as easy as a par-boiled chicken, and animals aren't affected by the virus:

Shouldn't they start taming some of these stray dogs to sic on walkers? You could feed the dog on walker kills, and as long as you didn't send it after a herd it should be able to learn how to grab a zombie's leg and pull it right off. That would be helpful when you are defending yourself.

I also think that after all the scenes of people getting their knives stuck in walker skulls ( Andrea in the forest, Shane in the bus, Carol by the water hose, etc.) wouldn't you have lifted a can or two of silicone spray when you are moseying around these damn stores and gas stations? Doesn't weigh much in a backpack and keeps stuff (and thangs) from sticking. Lasts longer than other stuff too.

• Love 5

Considering that the walkers are now falling apart as easy as a par-boiled chicken, and animals aren't affected by the virus:

Shouldn't they start taming some of these stray dogs to sic on walkers? You could feed the dog on walker kills, and as long as you didn't send it after a herd it should be able to learn how to grab a zombie's leg and pull it right off. That would be helpful when you are defending yourself.

Dunno... every time a dog bit a walker, the dog would probably spend the next half-hour licking its butt trying to get the walker taste out of its mouth. That could seriously cut into your daylight travel time.

I also think that after all the scenes of people getting their knives stuck in walker skulls ( Andrea in the forest, Shane in the bus, Carol by the water hose, etc.) wouldn't you have lifted a can or two of silicone spray when you are moseying around these damn stores and gas stations? Doesn't weigh much in a backpack and keeps stuff (and thangs) from sticking. Lasts longer than other stuff too.

Same here. Instead of these big-ass Bowies, just get a smooth metal bar with a point on one end. Easier skull penetration, nothing to jam or hang up, and it can double as a walking stick. And you won't keep dulling your knife edge on bone.

• Love 6

I love it!

Should I be worried that I like vomiting scenes?

Not at all. I once watched an extremely gross movie with a rather erotic puke scene. I contacted the actress online and praised her work.

I an not a crackpot

• Love 3

I agree BLT you have fruitcake listed in the wrong thread(wink)

I like MaryJanes, all the people who hate children can give their candy to ME!

My answer is SPAM that is NOT a food, I'd rather eat a human, less mystery.

Regarding spam,  it is said to be popular to some  when it came out because it tastes like long pig.    That's a possible urban legend, though.

Circus peanuts anger me.   The only things worse are candy corn and peeps.      I was an intrepid kid who got intel on what houses had crap stuff like candy corn and popcorn balls, and where to get reeses peanut butter cups and nerds.   

Rick pissed me off when he knocked that can of dog food from Coral's hand.    Dog food is good eatin. 

MRE's have a very long shelf life, as do freeze dried things.   They could get by on potato buds and powdered milk and eggs.  

• Love 4

Well, to each their own, but it's not that different from a big sausage (although sausage skins are no longer made from intestines these days).The scene that really got me was Rick turning his nose up at feeding his baby Dog Food - it's still protein and that's what your kid needs!

Doesn't dog food have insufficiently-ground bone meal that could perforate a person's GI tract if eaten? I think Rick's instincts were on the money.

• Love 1