Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: A Girl Named Maria

• Start Topic

A masked intruder with ties to the mayor makes a threat on Sam's life. In looking for answers, Ray uncovers more than he bargained for. Searching for their ticket out of the country, Mickey and Bunchy board the Hampton Jitney.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 12/2/18

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Keep it up Terry, soon you will have the same mental capacity as Maria. Now Terry has "Tony Stark tech" to elevate him to whip anyone's ass!

I doubt Maria's diapers were changed until Bridget got her.

Christian Hip-Hop! Father Tom Brady!  Rest in... Rest in.. Peace be with you! 

Good job Bunchy yelling Mick's name and "pops" in front of the passengers. I was glad to see a passenger had a gun to foil Mickey's plan. No one called the police? Easily, they should have been caught (yellow car stood out).

I disagree lady, Mickey should go to a place lower than hell.

Mickey putting on the hat over the stocking was classic.

I wasn't expecting to see Teresa again. I liked their scene. (I don't remember all the details) Wasn't she suicidal/depressed and left Bunchy and the baby? Now she's putting all the blame in him? If Bunchy's calling you mentally ill, you have serious problems! 

Lena and Sam didn't get it on?

What was point/hidden meaning of the old lady Ray and Lena were watching?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 5

I love Lena calling Ray "Old".....But damn if Katherine Moennig doesn't look like she's still in her 20's, despite being 40, and it's not just TV magic.  I like learning a tiny bit about Lena from Sam.  So she comes from money, but we need more backstory!

Princess Bridget yet again displays how spoiled and clueless she is.  But then, Terry should have given her a little more info on why Maria is with Bunchy.  But they're all pretty stupid, except for Ray. 

And while I didn't want him with Anita, at least she's age-appropriate, educated and accomplished.  She's not a vapid, 20ish movie star-wannabe, so there's that....

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Lena and Sam didn't get it on?

Yeah, Lena and Sam were way more smoking than Ray and Anita.

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Princess Bridget yet again displays how spoiled and clueless she is.  But then, Terry should have given her a little more info on why Maria is with Bunchy.  But they're all pretty stupid, except for Ray. 

See, for once I will actually say way to go Bridget.  Someone had to put an end to the “We’re going to run away with a little kid” nonsense.  If they knew the master plan was a cargo ship to Vietnam, I mean, c’mon.  How’s that gonna work with a toddler?

Oh Terry...

• Love 8

As cliche as it is to see a single man who doesn't know what to do with a baby, I still laughed when Terry offered Maria a slice of pizza for breakfast.

I wish every episode could just be Lena and Sam chatting about who they've bitten and other fun stuff.

Ed was me during every conversation I've ever had about Burning Man. It's always someone else telling me how amazing and life change it is and me going, "Uh huh. Great."

• Love 3

So why didn't that guy kill Sam? He was right there, darn it.

Ray's buddy the cop probably isn't long for this world. Seems like he no longer has the stomach for the shady stuff he's being asked to do. Bet he'll eat the barrel of his service pistol by the end of the season.

I'm surprised there was only one guy with a gun on that bus. In a lot of places half the passengers would've drawn down on Mickey.

Little Maria. So not a felony! Thank goodness she's now safe. Who'da thought Bridget would do the right thing instead of the Donovan thing?

I doubt Maria's diapers were changed until Bridget got her.

Oy, there's a visual.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm surprised there was only one guy with a gun on that bus. In a lot of places half the passengers would've drawn down on Mickey.

In the world of Ray Donovan, it's the uberwealthy who take the Hampton Jitney. I'm surprised they let someone wearing camo onto the bus. Or (someone dressed like) a priest.

Why do you consider putting yourself at risk Terry? Stop w/ the underground boxing. 

Have we seen the last of Bunch? Please. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TexasGal said:

See, for once I will actually say way to go Bridget.  Someone had to put an end to the “We’re going to run away with a little kid” nonsense.  If they knew the master plan was a cargo ship to Vietnam, I mean, c’mon.  How’s that gonna work with a toddler?

Oh Terry...

Considering our nation was built on hundreds of thousands of immigrants traveling here with children of all ages, and innumerable military families regularly relocating outside the US, it's really not as huge a deal to travel overseas with one toddler as some parents think.  And those are usually the ones that have never done it.  

Yes, it's more complicated when you're going under the radar like these idiots were planning, but countless children travel across the globe every day.  

My view was that Bridget, like many 19 year-old's, thinks she already has a lifetime of wisdom, and can make intelligent, rational decisions.  She's not even close....*LOL*

• Love 2

Mickey and Bunch, running across a big intersection in broad daylight with pane hose on their heads.

But their plans are foiled by Bridget if all people.  She doesn’t even know about the armed robbery nonsense yet she knew Maria shouldn’t be with any of the Donovan men.

Ray doesn’t have home field advantage.  He doesn’t have blackmail material on FBI heads or a big time law office backing him like he did in LA.

Hows he going to go up against the mayor and the NYPD?  Though you wouldn’t think they’d mess with some mogul like Sam either.

• Love 3

The Mayor/Sam/cop plot is too convoluted, but I have a feeling the Mayor just has the cops in his pocket. Back in the 70's the NYCPD corruption was rampant and drugs were at the bottom of most of it. Wouldn't be surprise if the same applied here. Straight up skimming. But, I'm usually wrong about such things.

Bridget did the right thing for the wrong reasons but I'm okay with that. First time I didn't want her to fly to Europe for an extended period of time.

Bunchy and Mickey can go. I like Terry, but he has a death wish and I refuse to worry for him. He goes down, he goes down. He does not need the money.

This is the first time I'm truly worried for Ray.

ETA At first I thought the old lady was a street performer like that naked cowboy dude. But I think she's someone easily ignored by many and will give Ray an important lead. Maybe.

Edited by WaltersHair
  • Love 4

If it weren't for the acting and production value, I'd roll my eyes at these increasingly idiotic plots and turn the damn thing off.

The Winslow character is grinding on my nerves... "When I bought Apple Computer I told Jobs that if he didn't like it he can go....." 

"A year later I bought Exxon and after lunch that same day merged with Time-Warner. I told the Saudi prince that if he didn't like it he could just kiss my"....

"That film I made grossed over 200 billion."  "Ray, get over here right away. I broke a nail. Do something."

Tired of looking at Bunchy's sad sack hound dog idiot expression all the time.  I thought it was acting. Looked at some vids of the actor being himself.... he flippin' looks like that naturally!   That poor baby would've been dead within 6 months with those 3 bozo's Bunchy, Mickey and Terry 'looking after' her. Bridget did the right thing.

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 5
(edited)

You know the world is upside down when Bridget is the one who is doing the right thing. I know they've always painted Bunchy as a sweet guy and a loving father, but that doesn't mean Maria is better off with him. How does he plan to provide for her? Is he just going to keep robbing check cashing places to pay for her clothing, diapers, and formula? And even if you put aside the fact that he seems to have no legitimate source of income to pay for his kid's expenses (which will only increase as she gets older), the court gave legal custody to Teresa. That makes what Bunchy did KIDNAPPING. He should be thanking her for not pressing charges against him.

As for how sweet we're supposed to believe he is, as is often the case, we saw his true character when he didn't get what he wanted - he went for the low blows and threw her depression in her face.

Oh, Ray. The whole thing with the cops is not going to end well. You should have listened to Mac when he told you to drop it and get the fuck out of town.

I have to admit that I chuckled when Ray casually greeted Danny before getting punched.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, leighdear said:

Considering our nation was built on hundreds of thousands of immigrants traveling here with children of all ages, and innumerable military families regularly relocating outside the US, it's really not as huge a deal to travel overseas with one toddler as some parents think.  And those are usually the ones that have never done it.  

Yes, it's more complicated when you're going under the radar like these idiots were planning, but countless children travel across the globe every day.  

My view was that Bridget, like many 19 year-old's, thinks she already has a lifetime of wisdom, and can make intelligent, rational decisions.  She's not even close....*LOL*

Not only under the radar, but I believe the plan was actually to travel on a container ship.  I think that meant they were going to be hidden in a shipping container that is loaded on the ship.  That would be a horrible trip for anyone, but with a toddler to care for, very bad idea.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Not only under the radar, but I believe the plan was actually to travel on a container ship.  I think that meant they were going to be hidden in a shipping container that is loaded on the ship.  That would be a horrible trip for anyone, but with a toddler to care for, very bad idea.

Travel time from the U.S. to Vietnam [based on the port of embarkation] takes from two to three weeks.  Two idiots and a baby, as stowaways, on a container ship, what could possibly go wrong??

• Love 3

They could lose Bunchy and Mickey from the cast and I wouldn’t miss them for one second. I know we’re supposed to feel bad for Bunchy, because he is emotionally or mentally stunted or something, but it doesn’t work. He knows he is making bad choices, he knows between right and wrong, he is just so weak willed and lazy that he lets himself be led around by Mickey. Ray and Terry, though flawed, at least have jobs. Bunchy makes these horrible choices them mopes around when the consequences show up, time after time after time. It’s boring. How many times has he come into huge amounts of money (mostly illegal) and then lost it all. Even when he got the church money all he did was whine that Ray would t let him handle it, then he lost all that. For once I was cheering for Bridget who at least had the sense to know how fucked up what was happening to Maria was and called her mother. If Bunchy really loved his child he would have gotten a job, made progress on himself and then shared custody of her. Nope, much better to kidnap,her, expose her to criminals and then think boating her away to Vietnam is a good idea. Bleach.

Im still liking NY! Maybe if they get rid of Bunchy/Mickey they can give more screen time to Lena. She might be the most interesting character on this show!

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, sadie said:

They could lose Bunchy and Mickey from the cast and I wouldn’t miss them for one second. I know we’re supposed to feel bad for Bunchy, because he is emotionally or mentally stunted or something, but it doesn’t work. He knows he is making bad choices, he knows between right and wrong, he is just so weak willed and lazy that he lets himself be led around by Mickey. Ray and Terry, though flawed, at least have jobs. Bunchy makes these horrible choices them mopes around when the consequences show up, time after time after time. It’s boring. How many times has he come into huge amounts of money (mostly illegal) and then lost it all. Even when he got the church money all he did was whine that Ray would t let him handle it, then he lost all that. For once I was cheering for Bridget who at least had the sense to know how fucked up what was happening to Maria was and called her mother. If Bunchy really loved his child he would have gotten a job, made progress on himself and then shared custody of her. Nope, much better to kidnap,her, expose her to criminals and then think boating her away to Vietnam is a good idea. Bleach.

Im still liking NY! Maybe if they get rid of Bunchy/Mickey they can give more screen time to Lena. She might be the most interesting character on this show!

I really feel like there are big pieces of the story missing.  As I remember, last we saw Bunchy he had gotten his church settlement money back AND Ray had given him Abby's bar.  I think there was a reference to Bunchy drinking too much or something, but since this is supposed to have all happened in a matter of months from the end of last season, how would he have gotten bad enough to have lost all the money and the bar?  (Excusing some stereotypical Bunchy stupidity, of course.)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have to admit that I chuckled when Ray casually greeted Danny before getting punched.

I've come to finally hating on Ray, Bunchy, Mickey AND Terry.  Wish this thing would've packed in it last season. Like 'Weeds', wound up despising whats her name the last few seasons because of how toxic she was to everyone around her and cared only about herself.  I'd like to see NY beat the crap outta Ray, his idiot brothers and dad and send them all packing back to lala land

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I really feel like there are big pieces of the story missing.  As I remember, last we saw Bunchy he had gotten his church settlement money back AND Ray had given him Abby's bar.  I think there was a reference to Bunchy drinking too much or something, but since this is supposed to have all happened in a matter of months from the end of last season, how would he have gotten bad enough to have lost all the money and the bar?  (Excusing some stereotypical Bunchy stupidity, of course.)

How right you are. Sad that viewers are paying more attention than the writers. Even I forgot about this, what did happen to the bar, the money, etc.? When writers ignore their own storylines just for the sake of writing what they want in the moment (“We need more Mickey drama and he needs another character with him so we’ll just have it be Bunchy and hope no one asks questions. So, what’s for lunch?”) is never the earmark of a well written show.

• Love 1

Let us not forget that Bunch sprung Mickey out of the hospital; shouldn’t they be showing up on some police or FBI website somewhere? Shouldn’t two guys wearing priest garb with Boston accents, wearing pantyhose on their heads as they crossed a busy street, driving a beater yellow convertible VW raise some suspicion somewhere? 

Didn't miss the C plot at all (i.e., the movie being made in Harlem). Did anybody?

Forget about the Donovan family altogether. I’d love to watch a show about Ray and Lena. 

• Love 3

So this show posits that the NYPD are entirely corrupt and used as tools for politicians, but they are also so incompetent that they can't find two bank robbers who identified themselves to numerous witnesses and drove a canary yellow crossover.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Ray should take the cop's advice and get out; then Lena can go to work for Sam, and we have a new show! (the Donovans all disappear, though Ray can come back for cameos).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sadie said:

I have absolutely no problem w/ this. Lena has long been my favorite character.

Hey, it turns out that Mac's been meeting the IAD cop at the Square Diner! I've been there a few times.

1 hour ago, sadie said:

For once I was cheering for Bridget who at least had the sense to know how fucked up what was happening to Maria was and called her mother.

Think about this. Bridget was right.

1 hour ago, sadie said:

If Bunchy really loved his child he would have gotten a job, made progress on himself and then shared custody of her.

Once the court has awarded full custody to one parent, it's usually difficult to get shared custody. Still, he certainly could have straightened himself out and then come to an unofficial arrangement w/ Anna that allowed him to spend more time w/ Maria.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, sadie said:

Initially I assumed that the show intended to dig itself out of the corner by making the jump to NY because LA and the Donovan family dramas were overplayed.  IMO the show would be in altogether better shape with maybe an occasional appearance of the other Donovans now and again, focus in on Ray learning to swim in the new pond.  

I'm aggravated with Bunchy for sure, but when Terry didn't do a much better job with Maria I was shocked.  She didn't take the pizza and he just shrugged it off?  That's simply not who we've seen him be -- even Mickey isn't that callous at the end of the day and all of the sons are more attuned to things like that than Mickey is.   

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Let us not forget that Bunch sprung Mickey out of the hospital; shouldn’t they be showing up on some police or FBI website somewhere? Shouldn’t two guys wearing priest garb with Boston accents, wearing pantyhose on their heads as they crossed a busy street, driving a beater yellow convertible VW raise some suspicion somewhere? 

Didn't miss the C plot at all (i.e., the movie being made in Harlem). Did anybody?

Forget about the Donovan family altogether. I’d love to watch a show about Ray and Lena. 

Oh, good grief, as soon as Mickey escapes, he and Bunch become top priorities for the U.S. Marshals, and the first thing they do is put Maria and Daryl under physical and electronic surveillance, because numbnut escapees and their conspirators, like Bunch and Mick, always, always, always, contact relatives and known associates. They would have been captured is no time. Just incredibly bad writing.

• Love 1

Now that I think about it, if Timothy Olyphant is done shooting the Deadwood movie, could we get him to shave his Bullock mustache, for a week's work, to mercifully end this mess, via an Elmore Leonard transfusion? Raylen Givens, U.S. Marshal, could be assigned to the capture of Mick and Bunch. He could come upon them while they are together with Ray and Terry. Raylan could do that thing where he, pistol still holstered, tells the targets that if they aren't face down on the ground in 3 seconds, he's going to shoot them all dead. Mick, of course, always has to say something, and starts with "Now, just wait a se....", whereupon Raylan sends all 4 to The Great Irish Pub in the Sky. Bridget then shows up, and Raylan says, "Miss, I know a young lady named Loretta in Harlan County, Kentuckey, who I used to think had the worst family, ever, but while they were creeps and killers, they were a lot less annoying than your clan." End Series.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 3

I just can't help wondering.....

If I was a rich person, wouldn't I have a private car to drive me to the Hamptons, so I didn't have to squeeze onto a mini-bus with the poor folks just going out there for the day, or maybe the weekend at most?  And if I DID have money, wouldn't my valuable stuff be packed in my suitcase stowed in the locked compartment under the bus? 

• Love 1

Well, there's hope for Bridget after all.  It seems generations learn from the previous - Mickey is the worst, Donovan sons not as bad as Mickey, Bridget better than Donovan sons.  Bridget has seen a lot of twisted shit - she's done some twisted shit.  Some kids follow in their parents' footsteps, and some do a 180 degree turn.  Not that Bridget is at 180 degrees, but maybe her brain has finally woken up.  Now she just needs to dump Smitty...

RE:  cop drama.  I too am somewhat lost in this plot.  Was Mac the one who broke into Sam's apartment and assaulted her?

49 minutes ago, leighdear said:

If I was a rich person, wouldn't I have a private car to drive me to the Hamptons, so I didn't have to squeeze onto a mini-bus with the poor folks just going out there for the day, or maybe the weekend at most?  And if I DID have money, wouldn't my valuable stuff be packed in my suitcase stowed in the locked compartment under the bus? 

Trust me, you don't find 1%ers on the Hampton Jitney.

16 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Was Mac the one who broke into Sam's apartment and assaulted her?

Nope. Different cop. But I'm pretty sure Mac knows who did it. Certainly if he looked at the video before telling Ray it doesn't exist, he'd recognize the cop's face.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

Basically is an alternative to the LIRR. However those two numbnuts, Mick and Bunch think its full of rich people

Bunchy first showed his dark, violent side in Season 3 at an incident at the dump apartment Mickey lived at with the prostitutes. Then even more so at the incident at the Primm, Nevada casino owner's "ranch". His dark side is much more extreme than anything Terry has ever done. Bunchy's warm, human side was really shown during his courtship of Teresa, which I think was Season 3 as well (in my opinion, Season 3 was the best season of this series, by far). I still remember that scene when they were walking at night in Griffith Park..."I didn't know Mexicans hiked."  was a hilarious line. I also love Teresa's line after the baby was born and she was really wanting it. "Mothers fuck Brandon, that's how they become mothers."

Wouldn't someone as wealthy, powerful, divisive and important as Sam Winslow have 24-hour security, especially at home??

Calling Teresa was the smartest thing Bridget has ever done in the series.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, crookedjackson44 said:

So this show posits that the NYPD are entirely corrupt and used as tools for politicians, but they are also so incompetent that they can't find two bank robbers who identified themselves to numerous witnesses and drove a canary yellow crossover.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  Ray should take the cop's advice and get out; then Lena can go to work for Sam, and we have a new show! (the Donovans all disappear, though Ray can come back for cameos).

Probably not the whole dept but maybe a couple of dozen?

As it turns out Ray happens to know Sean, who knows about the cops who will do dirty jobs for the mayor.

Looks like in the previous episode, some cops were doling out some cash to the cops who was with Sean.

Now what is the IA cop after?  Whom does he want Sean to rat on?

On 12/3/2018 at 7:37 PM, Mindthinkr said:

The Deadwood movie won’t be done filming until January (as long as they can stay on schedule). I like your idea though. 

At this point, I'd settle for Al Sweringen tending bar at a saloon where the Donovan clan shows up to get blotto, whereupon Al feeds'em all to the pigs....

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Bannon said:

At this point, I'd settle for Al Sweringen tending bar at a saloon where the Donovan clan shows up to get blotto, whereupon Al feeds'em all to the pigs....

I could go with Mickey going to Mr Wu’s pigs right now. The idea is funny in a time machine warped way. 

22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I could go with Mickey going to Mr Wu’s pigs right now. The idea is funny in a time machine warped way. 

Oh, no, now I have a Sweringen soliloquy going through my head right now, about what a pain in the balls it was when those Donovan c********** decided to use the Gem to get liquored up.

• Love 3