Type keyword(s) to search

Guilty Pleasures: Songs You're Ashamed Of Having On Your MP3 Player

• Start Topic

I think I may have already mentioned this, but I have Down By the Lazy River. 

Also, That's Rock and Roll, by Shaun Cassidy--which is always amusing to me because the song is about as far from rock and roll as you can get!

Shannon, you rock...sort of.  I actually owned an Osmond album on cassette back in the day. Shaun's song is great, but I preferred his version of Eric Carmen's Hey Deanie, Thank God he found a big time career as a TV producer. 

Together Forever ....by Rick Astley.

I must stop reading this forum while using my iPod; I'm spending more money at iTunes since I started reading this thread about a month ago than I have in the two years I've owned this iPod. 

Dang, I love "Together Forever"! And, while at iTunes, was reminded that I also liked "It Would Take a Strong Man". I've just Rickrolled myself twice. THANKS! ;)

Also, That's Rock and Roll, by Shaun Cassidy--which is always amusing to me because the song is about as far from rock and roll as you can get!

LOL - I would have downloaded "do run run" or "do you believe in magic" in a heartbeat if I hadn't already burned through my remaining balance to buy "double dutch bus" and "she's a bad mama jama." 

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 3

Some of the recent pop songs on the radio are totally my shameful jams right now (like, hardcore dance party in the car):  Nick Jonas - Jealous, Taylor Swift (who I've never cared for) - Blank Space & Style.  

I'm also obsessed with Uptown Funk, but I refuse to call Bruno Mars a guilty pleasure...boy is painfully talented and I adore him with no shame.

In older songs, I've rediscovered Michael Bolton's "How Am I Supposed to Live without You?".  I'm super ashamed of singing that at the top of my lungs whilst doing laundry.  My husband laughs and laughs. 

• Love 1

My Michael Bolton guilty pleasure is How Can We Be Lovers?

It's followed on my purchased list by Celine Dion's Where Does My Heart Beat Now, so clearly I was in some sort of mood that day.

• Love 1

Some of the recent pop songs on the radio are totally my shameful jams right now (like, hardcore dance party in the car):  Nick Jonas - Jealous, Taylor Swift (who I've never cared for) - Blank Space & Style.  

Aw, Blank Space isn't embarrassing. That's a really good song. And I give Taylor props for willingly making herself look like a total psycho in the video.

http://youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg

Aw, Blank Space isn't embarrassing. That's a really good song. And I give Taylor props for willingly making herself look like a total psycho in the video.

Taylor Swift is a psycho.

I'm also obsessed with Uptown Funk, but I refuse to call Bruno Mars a guilty pleasure...boy is painfully talented and I adore him with no shame.

Every time I hear Uptown Funk, I want to get up and dance.  And it sounds so like James Brown.  I love it.

• Love 4

Every time I hear Uptown Funk, I want to get up and dance.

I keep thinking they sampled or used a line from an early 80s rap or hiphop song but I can't figure out which song.  When he sings "uptown" my mind automatically follows it with "downtown, what'cha going to do today".

I'm probably scrambling lyrics together because I know Sugarhill Gang's Rappers Delight had "what'cha going to do today" in it.

The most played song on my iTunes is NKOTBSB (New Kids On The Block&Backstreet Boys) single "Don't Turn Out The Lights". It's super catchy and I regret nothing. My hubby hates it though and always makes me put on headphones when I want to jam to NKOTBSB.

• Love 2

I keep thinking they sampled or used a line from an early 80s rap or hiphop song but I can't figure out which song.

When I first heard it, I immediately thought of Morris Day and the Time.  If you listen to Jungle Love carefully, there is something in there--maybe the bass line or horn section--that is reminiscent of the melody in Uptown Funk.

• Love 1

I can't stand Taylor Swift for some reason. I think she's overrated. Yet, there is always one song on each album that I hear on the radio and love to sing along to. This time it's "Shake It Off". The hubby can't stand Arianna Grande because of how she talked on Sam and Cat. We'd often watch at least part of that show before the kid learned how to turn the TV off himself after watching his shows. I love me "Love Me Harder" though. I hate myself! The hubby gives me the side eye anytime they come on the radio and I sing along. He also doesn't understand why I like "Bang Bang".

Said kid, 4yo, will start singing "All About the Bass" for no reason. I don't mind that song.

Eddie Murphy's "Party All The Time" came up on my ipod on the way to work today.  I jammed out and regret nothing.

Dang - you gave me an ear worm.

Wan't Rick James in the video rocking the cowardly lion do?

• Love 2

I love the remix of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" from the Fifty Shades of Grey ads.  I see it listed as appearing in the film's soundtrack, I hope they release it.  So far you can hear other people covering it on YouTube but it hasn't been released anywhere yet except a few seconds of the commercials.

Dang - you gave me an ear worm.

Wan't Rick James in the video rocking the cowardly lion do?

That video... oh man, it follows the formula of 'Person Known for Acting Now Wants to be Musical' -- it's hilarious. Eddie Murphy is taking it so seriously as he sings... and then you've got Rick James sparkling with his clothes and his hair. If one didn't know better, one might think it came straight from an episode of Miami Vice.

It's not a bad song... but I can never get the video out of my head. It's like "Physical" by Olivia Newton-John. Again, not a bad song... actually quite catchy... but I can't not see the headband and that one ginger dude in the video. (Yes, I totally had one of those headbands. Everyone did. Shut up.)

• Love 2

I love the remix of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" from the Fifty Shades of Grey ads.  I see it listed as appearing in the film's soundtrack, I hope they release it.  So far you can hear other people covering it on YouTube but it hasn't been released anywhere yet except a few seconds of the commercials.

Probably. It's listed on the Amazon preorder page for the official soundtrack.

Said kid, 4yo, will start singing "All About the Bass" for no reason. I don't mind that song.

Just make sure it's the clean version - the original has an S-word:

I see the magazines working that Photoshop

We know that shit ain't real

And a B-word:

I'm bringing booty back

Go ahead and tell them skinny bitches Hey

No, I'm just playing I know you think you're fat,

Blake Shelton's The Boys 'Round Here. I love it and when the video is on it's even better.  

Arianna's  The Way is even better than Love Me Harder and damn if Harder isn't great!  

Tim McGraw's The Highway Don't Care with Taylor Swift. Loop worthy. Oh, and how is this?....Little Things by Bobby Goldsboro. 1960's Rule. I Wanna Buy Me A Dog by The Monkees! Seriously, those guys sound like they are having a blast. 

When I first heard it, I immediately thought of Morris Day and the Time.  If you listen to Jungle Love carefully, there is something in there--maybe the bass line or horn section--that is reminiscent of the melody in Uptown Funk.

I caught the whole song and Jungle Love is definitely in there.  Still can't peg the rap part that the later part of the song reminds me of, but it kind of sounds like someone threw a bunch of songs from the 80s into the blender plus a heaping dose of 'tude, and out came Uptown Funk.

ETA:  Apparently, spelling correctly has taken the day off.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

My grand-nephew is just shy of 3 and he is into classic rock for the most part.  Show Me the Way by Frampton is a particular favorite, but he was in the car listening to Rod Stewart's Do You Think I'm Sexy the other day when he asked my niece if he was sexy?  When she gently responded "no" after listing off many other positives like smart, handsome, cute, funny...his response was "That really makes me sad that you don't think I am sexy".

• Love 5

Speaking of kids and questionable music: 

Blake Shelton's The Boys 'Round Here.

My eight year old sister knows this song because she went to a four year old's birthday where the PARENTS gave said four year old this CD as a gift. 0_o 

In other news, I was trying to remember the mute woman on Orange is the New Black's name today (it's Norma). Upon googling her, I discovered that the actress Annie Golden use to be in a punk band called the Shirts and was in the film version of Hair. Also, she is responsible for this cheesy 80s gem from the Sixteen Candles soundtrack. 

Nothing about this isn't amazing.

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 1

In other news, I was trying to remember the mute woman on Orange is the New Black's name today (it's Norma). Upon googling her, I discovered that the actress Annie Golden use to be in a punk band called the Shirts and was in the film version of Hair. Also, she is responsible for this cheesy 80s gem from the Sixteen Candles soundtrack. 

Nothing about this isn't amazing.

Cliff Clavin's postal worker girlfriend? [/Cheers] Wow.

• Love 1

Whenever I hear "Never Gonna Give You Up" all I can think of is Hal Sparks(?)' "I am a little white boy, with a big ole black voice," from I Love The... series. And Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger.

Also, I love "I2I" from A Goofy Movie. Tevin Campbell will be forever awesome to me because of that song.

I caught the whole song and Jungle Love is definitely in there.  Still can't peg the rap part that the later part of the song reminds me of, but it kind of sounds like someone threw a bunch of songs from the 80s into the blender plus a heaping dose of 'tude, and out came Uptown Funk.

It really does sound like that!

I just heard this song for the first time today and, while I danced around in my car, I was seriously going bonkers trying to catch all the 80s references in there. Jungle Love, for sure, and I also picked out (of all things) "Living in America" and the first drum beats to "all she wants to do is dance." It was a lovely distraction from rush hour driving, but still...I get OCD about these things and now it's bugging me that I can't identify everything.

However, I did just go download Don Henley's attempt to be lighthearted and "All She Wants to Do is Dance" is on my recently added playlists. I like it even if my aerobics instructor used it as a leg lift song back in the day.

Edited by potatoradio

Jermaine Stewart "We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off"

Oh crap, now this is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.  I'm not complaining.

I watched a rerun of Law and Order: SVU that had Jesse McCartney in it, and I forgot how much I actually like his songs.  I am too old for that to be the case.

God help me, I love "Morning Train (9 to 5)" by Sheena Easton. I can't help it, it's so darn catchy! <cowers in corner as everyone laughs>

Sheena Easton!

/adds "Strut" to playlist

/curses self for yet again reading this thread with iPod at the ready...

• Love 1

/adds "Strut" to playlist

Oh damn!  Totally forgot about that one, but reading this it is playing in my head.....Strut, pout, cut it out, all takin' and no givin'

Watch me baby while I walk out the door

I didn't think of Morning Train, but I do have Strut and U Got the Look with Prince.

Oh!  I just thought of another one:  "Telephone"!  *grabbing my ipod*

ETA:  You can only get it with the purchase of the whole album!!  *whine* I don't want the whole album!"

Edited by Shannon L.

Oh crap, now this is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.  I'm not complaining.

I watched a rerun of Law and Order: SVU that had Jesse McCartney in it, and I forgot how much I actually like his songs.  I am too old for that to be the case.

Omg. I used to have a crush on him when he was on Summerland

Sn: I occasionally listen to Beautiful Soul when it comes up on my Pandora.

I have "Right Where You Want Me" on my iPod & listen to it all the time.

I am a woman of a certain age and I am not ashamed to say that I have 50-Cent's CD with "In Da Club" (the unedited version) on it.  I blast that sucker in my car on a regular basis.  Yeah.  

• Love 2

Selena Gomez 'What the Heart Wants" <hangs head in shame>

Jermaine Stewart "We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off"

No shame. Love Ms Gomez trying to shake her Disney cred.  Let me add Demi Lovato's Heart Attack and Really Don't Care. 

InDueTime, I miss Lesley Gore too.  When we were dating, my husband mentioned how he and his friends would call the college radio station and request It's My Party - this was late '70s, early '80s --  and it was a kind of weird bonding thing with us; and we drank a toast to her the day we heard of her passing.  I still get excited when the Batman rerun where Ms. Gore is one of Catwoman's gang shows up on the TV.  

And I can't help noticing that in your Sunshine & Lollipops video, the front row consists of Yvonne Craig (Batgirl), Deborah Walley, Dwayne Hickman (Dobey Gillis) and Frankie Avalon.  Aaahhhh, good times. 

"Shuffle all" can turn up some gems when you've got over five days of music stored in iTunes and tend to forget some of it exists. While I never saw the movie, I was reminded tonight that I own the theme song from Snakes on a Plane.

I regret nothing.

• Love 4

My Zumba instructor started using a new song for our stretching at the end of class.  We all love it and, by the end of the song, if possible, we're swaying or tapping our feet to the beat.  I've been debating asking her what the name is and the artist so I could put it on my iPhone, but have been hesitant because it's a little on the slow side and since I don't usually like slow songs, I'm not sure how often I'd listen to it.  The other day, in Target, I was passing the electronics section and heard the song because the video was on one of the tvs.  I looked up and it was Love Me Harder by Arianna Grande.  I never thought I'd like one of her songs (solo stuff-I've already admitted to enjoying Bang Bang).

Shannon L. my favorite app on my iPhone is Shazam. It listens to & identifies songs for you. Then if you want to, you can sign right into iTunes & buy the song (but you don't have to). The app is free, & saves you from having to ask people what a song is in case it turns out to be embarrassing :-)

• Love 1