Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Agents of GEEK Podcast Episode 95
Posted on 11/18/2017  Craig Wack & Tatiana Torres
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- Of the four CW superhero shows this week, Craig said that Arrow was "the one that drove us the least crazy." He said it was "okay," and Tatiana said it was "not bad." They didn't sound real enthused about Arrow 606, but liked it better than the other shows this week.

-- Craig noted that Dinah has been "carrying" a lot of the action lately but this week she was back to "doing her job" as a cop, while Curtis and Rene were doing more of the action.

-- Tatiana thought that the Slade story "did not work" as a two-parter and that it would've worked better as one standalone episode.

-- Craig and Tatiana both thought that Kane (Joe Wilson) will return later in the season. 

-- Tatiana didn't think that Arrow could sustain itself as a show if Oliver isn't the Green Arrow ever again, unless this is the last season of the show.

-- Tatiana referenced the "adorable family" scene of Oliver, Felicity and William at the end.

-- Craig was more interested in the Diggle story with the drugs. They both liked that Diggle came clean at the end to his wife and team.

-- They talked about Dinah still keeping her secret about the Vigilante though. Craig explained to Tatiana about the matchbox rose.

-- Craig brought up his theory of "Dinah being sacrificed in the name of [Black Siren's redemption]." However, Tatiana disagreed: "No. It's not happening. Get over it." Craig: "It's still alive. The Black Siren redemption arc is still alive."  Tatiana: "No. If it happens, I'm going to throw something."

-- They noted that Felicity's chip that allows her to walk is usually forgotten, except occasionally like when Curtis brought it up in order to help Diggle.

Edited by tv echo

Podcast interview with David Nykl yesterday - no real spoilers (I only watched the DN interview and not the entire podcast)...

DC Action Hour - Interview with David Nykl - Anatoly on Arrow and Zelenka on Stargate: Atlantis
Streamed live on November 19, 2017   Super Geeked Up/Super Knocked Up
http://www.supergeekedup.com/

-- DN said that Anatoly was a "pretty shrewd judge of character."

-- Interviewer said that Anatoly has been through "quite an arc" from when we were first introduced to him. DN mentioned how fans were saying that Anatoly wasn't friends with Oliver anymore, which made him a little sad as well. DN then said that he hasn't had scenes with SA "for awhile" but didn't know what he could say "without giving stuff away."

-- When DN first read for the role of Anatoly in Arrow S2, the character was just called "Prisoner" and he wasn't interested in such a "generic.. one and done" role. However, he said it's always a "crapshoot" and that his mother once told him, "there's no such thing as a small role, there's just small actors." So he decided to do the role. He was called "Prisoner" and he had to wear this big fake beard. So he was just hanging around in the prison cells, muttering the Russian word for "strength", and then they took off in the submarine. And he thought that was the end of that role after doing around 6 episodes. He didn't hear anything for S3 or S4. Then he got a call from Arrow in July of 2015 and was told that Anatoly was returning and that they were doing the back story of how Oliver becomes Bratva. So that was the beginning of Anatoly's story as a "bad guy." DN thought that Anatoly's arc from good guy to bad guy was "inevitable."

-- DN talked about the differences between playing Oliver's mentor/friend and playing Oliver's enemy. He said that SA was a "consummate professional" and that it was fun to "play off of him."

-- When he found out that "Prisoner" was Anatoly, he did some comics research into KGBeast and wondered "Should I be going to the gym?" But he said that they're doing their own "take" on the character, although the possibility is always there, "since we haven't seen the end of Anatoly." DN said that he "rarely" talks to the writers and doesn't ask them for what he wants for his character. He just plays what they write.

-- DN joked that he's now facing the team who has T-Spheres and powers, while he's just standing there: "I don't have super powers, guys. I'm just Russian."

-- When fan asked if there was any Arrowverse character that he would Anatoly to meet or work with that he hasn't yet,  DN: "Well, my experience on Arrow has again been mostly with Stephen. Um, and, without giving away too much in Season 6, there's other people that I'm talking to now... But they're not the good guys, put it that way... So I haven't had a chance to work with people like Echo or Emily Bett any more than like a couple of scenes, a couple of nights, and it's usually some frozen night somewhere at two o' clock in the morning where, you know, you stand aside each other and then leave. It's not like - it's not a very 'hi, how are you?' ... chance to work that way." So he'd like to work with "anyone, really... give me a scene partner!"

--  If Anatoly replaced Oliver as mayor of Star City, what would he do? DN joked: "I think there's been enough Russian influence in politics." He then said that Anatoly would be a "great mayor."

-- DN (joking): "I think Anatoly is actually a good guy and he should become a part of Team Arrow."

-- DN said that Arrow is a "hard working show." He talked about being out in the frozen outdoors while stunt people were running around, parkouring and fighting and stuff.

-- DN also talked about playing Dr. Radek Zelenka on Stargate: Atlantis and Lester Morris on Supernatural.

-- When asked about other current projects, DN said that, right now, it's all Arrow

-- DN said that he's Czech, but he grew up "here in the West Coast" (meaning, Vancouver). He can do Eastern European accents easily.

-- The best way to contact DN is through his twitter account (@dnykl).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

EW reviewer gave 607 a B-...

Arrow recap: 'Thanksgiving'
Chancellor Agard  November 23, 2017 
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-episode-7/

Holidays are never best the times on Arrow. Someone usually gets shot, injected with a super-solider drug, paralyzed, or something. So it shouldn’t come as surprise that this year’s Thanksgiving episode is not an exception. While no one finds himself or herself in mortal peril this week, Team Arrow does encounter some difficulties as long-simmering plots finally come to a boil; however, the episode feels a bit thin in places and sees the show return to some bad habits.
With Oliver arrested for being the Green Arrow, Diggle wants Team Arrow on high alert because he’s worried Star City’s criminal element will think it’s open season. And he’s not wrong. Cayden James and Black Siren make their welcome returns tonight to steal some nano-thermites. Honestly, I can’t overstate how much I love Michael Emerson as Cayden. He’s like a more sinister version of Harold Finch. Also, Katie Cassidy continues to have the time of her life with her campy portrayal of Black Siren. And these two have some fun chemistry together even though they’re almost never in the same frame.
Thankfully, both men realize they were wrong and apologize to each other. I particularly appreciated Diggle’s apology because it ties back into the show’s history. He admits to Oliver that part of the reason he did what he did was because he’s secretly always wanted to be the Green Arrow, something that was made apparent to him when the Dominators gave them their dream lives in the 100th episode. The fact that the 100th episode wasn’t just a meaningful experience for Oliver is another sign that the show is trying to expand and allow more room for the others’ perspectives. Unfortunately, Diggle’s dream may be over, because his nerve damage has spread to his back, and he risks becoming paralyzed if he goes back into the field.
You can tell Emerson was only on set for a day or two at the most because he’s almost never in the same shot as the other actors, except for his final confrontation with the Green Arrow.

Edited by tv echo

A.V. Club reviewer gave 607 a B-...

A crowded Arrow will make you thankful for good actors
Allison Shoemaker  November 23, 2017
https://www.avclub.com/a-crowded-arrow-will-make-you-thankful-for-good-actors-1820709328

It’s a lot, and yet given all that, this is an oddly lackluster episode. It’s spiced up by two things. The first is some really strange tonal stuff. It often seems as though the episode is arguing that vigilantism is bad and brings out the worst in the people who practice it, while simultaneously telling us what good people they all are, and while it’s unlikely that the resulting tension is intentional, it’s interesting. The second is good acting.
There’s that list up there, of all the big things this episode contains. Half of them would still make for a packed hour. Here’s what actually lingers: Michael Emerson saying, “And yet!” David Ramsey’s Diggle quietly talking about what he wants in life. Paul Blackthorne’s eyes as Quentin listens to Dinah talk about her fears. Stephen Amell’s emphasis on the word ‘demand.’ These things aren’t monumental. They’re not Twitter-bait. They’re just good moments of plain old acting, and each is more thrilling than any big fake bomb could ever be.
All the Arrowverse shows sometimes run into villain troubles. For every Eobard Thawne (of The Flash), there’s a handful of baddies along the lines of Cupid, Vandal Savage (Legends of Tomorrow), and Savitar (The Flash.) Most often the problem stems from the writing. Maybe there’s an uninspiring motive, or a twist that’s nowhere near as clever as it wants to be. Sometimes it’s a silly idea that doesn’t quite work, and sometimes it’s a good idea that then gets recycled ad nauseam (see: almost all of The Flash’s big bads.) There’s still time for Cayden James to become a lousy villain, but there’s absolutely no chance he’ll ever feel cookie-cutter, because Emerson is having entirely too much fun, bringing his considerable skills to a role that he could honestly play without a ton of effort. He’s got that presence, that face, and that voice. He could phone it in. That he’s not is a real boon to Arrow, and he alone makes this odd hour of television worth watching.
Really, everybody’s pretty good this week. Juliana Harkavy isn’t always given the best material, but she makes the stuff she gets sing (particularly when she’s in cop mode.) Rick Gonzalez’s Rene continues to be the show’s secret weapon. Emily Bett Rickards, Echo Kellum, Paul Blackthorne — all good. The only off-notes are Katie Cassidy, who plays Black Siren as though it’s business as usual, even when the story has her willfully risking her own unnecessary death in almost every scene in which she appears, and Sydelle Noel, who is selling the hell out of a character whose actions don’t make a ton of sense.
If Arrow is teeing up a story about how, in fact, the vigilante referendum is a good idea because vigilanteism is dangerous, that’s interesting. It’s unlikely, given Oliver’s speech at the end of the hour, but it’s possible that every one of those odds moments is intentional. If so, then in hindsight, this episode will be considered key. It’ll be the moment when Arrow got all sly and subversive and started commenting on itself and its storytelling.

That’s not going to happen. What’s more likely is that, in hopes of creating a rollicking Thanksgiving episode, the Arrow writers room packed this thing to the rafters, and became so focused on plot that they stopped thinking about what the plot said about the characters. It’s no accident that the best scenes in “Thanksgiving” are the quietest, simplest, and slowest. In those scenes, the focus is on what’s happening between two people, not what big exciting moment’s coming next. It’s a chance to take a breath, and in an hour this packed, you might need quite a few breaths.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Season 6 Episode 7 Review: “Thanksgiving” 
Chris King  November 24, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-6-episode-7-review-thanksgiving

After transforming into the Slade Wilson Variety Hour for the past two weeks, Arrow is finally back to being Arrow in this week’s strong episode, as Oliver’s Thanksgiving celebrations are interrupted in a major way by both Agent Watson and Cayden James. Watson strikes first, arresting Oliver for being the Green Arrow at a Star City fundraising event he attends with Felicity and William. While Oliver is able to get out on bail for the time being (thanks to the money that Felicity was supposed to use towards her and Curtis’s start-up), this fight is far from over, as a huge trial looms in the distance, a trial in which Watson has some type of evidence up her sleeve and no one can seem to figure out what it could be.
Despite how important some of these major plot developments are, though, they aren’t what make “Thanksgiving” stand out as a solid episode of Arrow. After two uneven installments that failed to connect with me (and other fans) emotionally, this week’s hour delivers some of the most powerful scenes of the season so far, and the best part about these scenes are that, for the most part, they include Oliver Queen, who has felt like a supporting character in his own show for the past two weeks. Fortunately, “Thanksgiving” not only puts Oliver back in the Green Arrow suit and throws him out into the field but also gives him some dynamic sequences with the people who are most important to him.

The two standout scenes from “Thanksgiving” feature Oliver and Diggle sitting in Dig’s hospital room when Oliver confronts his best friend after Felicity tells him the truth about John’s nerve damage. The conversations that follow are rich and complex; aside from Felicity and Thea, Oliver and Diggle are the only two characters on Arrow with as much depth and as much history that can discuss these huge issues in such personal and intimate ways. The discussion over John’s health (which worsens throughout “Thanksgiving” due to withdrawal from the experimental steroid he was taking and Curtis’s new implant) becomes a battle over trust and sacrifice between the two longtime friends; Oliver tells Dig that this is the first time he’s ever been truly disappointed in him, while Diggle fights back, saying how he’s risked everything for Oliver and his family throughout the years. “I don’t owe you a damn thing,” he tells him.

After their initial blowout, cooler heads prevail for both Oliver and Diggle. When Oliver returns to the hospital, he apologizes to John for taking him and his loyalty for granted over the years, while Diggle is honest with Oliver about why he really took on the mantle of Green Arrow, referencing the dream world from last year’s crossover. It wasn’t a selfless act he was taking for his friend; Diggle wanted to be the Green Arrow for himself—it’s what makes him the happiest, it’s what makes him most complete. The real reason why he hid his nerve damage for so long wasn’t because he was worried about letting Oliver down—he didn’t want his health to strip him of this opportunity to be the team’s leader, to be the hero of Star City.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

How Did Supergirl Ship Stay Hidden? Is This Is Us' Toby Too Much? Does iPad Kid Irk? Best Med Couple? And More Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Dave Nemetz and Ryan Schwartz / November 24 2017, 9:44 AM PST
http://tvline.com/2017/11/24/this-is-us-toby-sweet-or-not-tv-questions-answers/

11 | Are you waiting for Arrow to give Katie Cassidy a different note to play other than, “Black Siren slinks in… Black Siren slinks out”? Also, based on Thea’s speedy coma recovery, can we surmise that The Blacklist‘s Elizabeth also once took a dip in the Lazarus Pit?

12 | Did you also find it odd that The CW aired new — and pretty eventful! — episodes of Supernatural and Arrow on the typically low-rated Thanksgiving night?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I get why the CW aired Arrow on Thanksgiving, they kind of had to to line up the crossover, but i don't understand what prompted them to so it with Supernatural.  Maybe they truly wanted to test their theories on people eventually tuning through streaming?  I have to think Supernatural is one of the more loyal viewing fanbases out there.  Still, an odd choice all around.  

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think it had more to do with them starting the seasons so late they had to choose between airing on Thanksgiving or airing later into the December. 

Except there is always so many weeks in the spring without new programming.  Feels like they could have made a different choice had they wanted.  Hell, they could have just started up a week sooner.  

• Love 1

'Arrow’ Recap: “Thanksgiving” – It’s Not Easy Being Green
BY KAYTI BURT      NOVEMBER 23, 2017
http://collider.com/arrow-season-6-episode7-recap/

The limited effectiveness of vigilantism isn’t the only hard, long ignored truths “Thanksgiving” faced, making it one of the best episodes of the season. This was most especially true in Oliver and John’s confrontations, in which Oliver expressed disappointment over John keeping the secret of his nerve damage and drug use, and John accused Oliver of forcing John to prioritize his needs, goals, and family above his own.
Elsewhere in the episode, the strength of another partnership was tested: the one between Felicity and Curtis. Frankly, I feel like Curtis had way more to be upset about in this situation. Not only was Felicity’s unilateral decision to name their new company and pick their first product kind of a dick move, but she spent $500,000 of their start-up money on Oliver’s bail. I mean, I want to see Oliver out of jail for Thanksgiving as much as the next person with a heart, but Felicity didn’t even check in with Curtis on this. It’s Curtis’ right to forgive Felicity or not, but I probably would have needed a little more time to be angry about this.
– Oliver is wanted for seven counts of murder as the Green Arrow. He has killed so many more people than that.
– “You have five turkeys in the entrance and four move stuffed in on the floor. All puns attended.” Felicity’s pun game was strong in this episode.

Arrow Season 6 Episode 7 Review: Thanksgiving
Delia Harrington   Nov. 24, 2017
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/arrow/269240/arrow-season-6-episode-7-review-thanksgiving

This uneven effort from Arrow crams about every holiday episode trope it can into 44 minutes. Turkey puns, a head-tilting cameo, and two highly anticipated developments. Happy sweeps, folks! Ultimately, the positives like Thea's return and seeing Oliver back in the hood were good enough to keep things moving, and holiday episodes are graded on a curve, right?
Stunt casting and cameos are generally considered different but related phenomena. But in this case, I'd like to make an exception and say this cameo was stunt-casted. First, Billy Joel is such an odd touchstone to bring into the Arrowverse that the writers lampshade it, in the form of Rene's fanboying, followed by a halfway decent throwaway line about having varied tastes. I watched a screener of this episode before the Billy Joel news broke, so I was taken by no small amount of genuine surprise. I can honestly say that up until the moment his face appeared, I thought they were going to reference him but never show him, because why on earth would Billy Joel be on Arrow? This is not like the Shawn Mendes cameo on The 100, which sounded eyeroll-inducing but made sense for their target audience, and frankly ended up being irreverently funny. What is the end game of a Billy Joel appearance on Arrow, for literally anyone involved? And when we finally saw him, it was over and done with in the blink of an eye.
Oliver has John as his beloved doormat, and Felicity has Curtis. Lucy for Curtis, it's only taken Felicity a couple of seasons to see that. She apologizes for naming their company and picking the first project without asking, and he apologizes for taking his prototype without asking her. But she still had one more big thing, spending their angel investment money on Ollie's bail. Felicity screwed up big here — I'm not even sure that what she did was legal. It was for understandable reasons, but there have to be some limits on everyone's tolerance for putting Oliver first no matter what, and ramifications when they cross that limit.

Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’ 6×07 Review: ‘Thanksgiving’
ALYSSA BARBIERI   November 24, 2017
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-6x07-review-thanksgiving/

“Thanksgiving” was the perfect blend of action, plot, and heart that have defined Arrow over the years. It was an episode that was perhaps one the most important hours of the season in terms of the scope of the season. But it also served to highlight the theme of family this season, as well as the important relationships that define Oliver and his continued story.
“Thanksgiving” served, as the holiday does, as a means to establish the importance of family. With a season-long theme of family, this was the kind of episode that provides those moments of heart that makes this more than just a show about a superhero. This becomes a show about the man that is the superhero. And there’s a huge difference.

If you don’t care about the man or woman underneath the hero persona, how much do you really care about the hero?

One of the things I really loved about this episode was that despite all of the terrible things that transpired — from Oliver being arrested and charged as being the Green Arrow to Cayden James’ revelation — was that Oliver didn’t let the darkness overwhelm him. If this were earlier seasons, Oliver might’ve let the weight of these obstacles prevent him from celebrating the things that he does have. And we saw in “Thanksgiving” that, as Oliver said, he has a lot to be thankful for.

Family is the defining force behind that. Throughout Arrow, we’ve seen Oliver deal with his blood family and the ups and downs of that, as well as create a new family with Felicity, Diggle, and the other people that have joined Team Arrow. It’s the perfect reminder that family isn’t defined by blood. It’s defined by the love that you have for those that you care about.
And as we saw Oliver stand with Felicity and William in his arms alongside Diggle and Thea — WHO FINALLY WOKE UP!! — you got a glimpse of Oliver Queen, the family man, and how important that aspect of his character will be for him moving forward. This is a new-look Oliver, who continues to grow up before our eyes.
3.  Oliver suiting up as Green Arrow again was magic. I didn’t realize how much I missed him in the suit until he was.
10. Also, why does it always have to be sons? The one daughter we had — in Sara Diggle — was taken away by Barry Allen and these writers. Representation matters.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Posting this because it includes Felicity and Curtis:

Dear TV: Stop Telling the Techno-Babbling Character to 'Put It in English'

https://tvline.com/2017/11/25/tv-trope-techno-babble-characters-put-in-english/

Dear TV,

Sometimes your scenes involving supersmart characters take dumb, dreadfully expected turns.

I’m talking about when a smartie’s outburst of techno babble is met by his or her layman colleagues with glazed eyes and dropped jaws, followed by the inevitable variation on, “In English, please.”

Take, for example, this recent episode of Arrow, where on three different occasions — all within the same 42 minutes, and sometimes just scenes apart — a tech genius failed to proactively dumb things down enough:

I have to agree with this tbh. I don't remember it being so blatant on Arrow in earlier seasons but it feels like it's happening every single episode now and it's annoying. 

• Love 3

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 6, Episode 7 - Thanksgiving
Starman   November 23, 2017
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2017/11/arrow-episode-guide-season-6-episode-7.html

Goofs

The new SCPD building is referred to both as a new precinct house and a new HQ. Possibly it is acting as a temporary HQ, but either way six weeks seems like an amazing turn-around time on getting a new building refitted.

It is unclear just why in the names of the many ridiculous gods of the DCU Cayden James is employing Black Siren. It beggars belief that a master-planner like James would risk working with a loose cannon like Black Siren. His plans require subtlety and Black Siren is a murderous psychopath who kills when she gets bored and uses her powers around explosives in defiance of his orders.

For that matter, it's unclear why Black Siren is working as hired muscle for James in the first place. He may have saved her from Lian Yu, but nothing in Black Siren's character has suggested any sense of gratitude or camaraderie.

The sudden fight between Curtis and Felicity over their company's resources is unnecessary drama in an episode that is already tense enough. Felicity herself says it best - "We don't have time for this right now."

Felicity says that the new drug used to awaken Thea from her coma was a new form of Zolpidem. Zolpidem is a powerful sedative used to treat severe insomnia - the exact opposite of what one would want a coma patient to take!
A City District Attorney cannot act as legal counsel to a Mayor accused of a crime in Star City.

Edited by tv echo
Just now, Angel12d said:

Posting this because it includes Felicity and Curtis:

Dear TV: Stop Telling the Techno-Babbling Character to 'Put It in English'

https://tvline.com/2017/11/25/tv-trope-techno-babble-characters-put-in-english/

I have to agree with this tbh. I don't remember it being so blatant on Arrow in earlier seasons but it feels like it's happening every single episode now and it's annoying. 

For sure, and it was painfully obvious in 604, which is a shame since I feel like they could creatively go around it or make a more creative version of the joke (since they did it before, one of my favorite gags is that 305 joke:

Felicity on comms: *techno babbles on how to stop the computer virus*

Oliver: TELL ME HOW TO STOP THE VIRUS

but even then it was funnier because at the core of that joke was semi-self-deprecating on Oliver's part, which is always funnier than making fun of someone for technobabbling anyway). 

It's just a blatant lazy joke to smooth over lines and lines of technical exposition. Felicity or occasionally Curtis is usually able to interject a joke in the middle of the explanation anyway, so to go back to the same structure of the joke becomes blatant.

• Love 2

FIGHTS, FAMILY AND A SHOCKING RETURN FOR THANKSGIVING IN THE LATEST ARROW
Trent Moore   November 24, 2017
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/fights-family-and-a-shocking-return-for-thanksgiving-in-the-latest-arrow

With Diggle in the hospital, we finally get the faceoff fans have been anticipating for weeks, as Oliver confronts him and lays all the cards on the table. These men have been through a lot the past six years, and seeing Oliver tell Diggle he’s disappointed in him for the first time in their friendship, it’s a brutal moment. Even if they do make up an act or two later. Ever since Season 1, John Diggle has been the heart, soul, and conscience of this series. Sure, he’s struggled along the way, but this is something different. Diggle knew he was compromised, covered it up, and put the team at risk — and almost got himself killed in the process. But the reason for all of it might be the biggest reveal of all.
*Along with Diggle and Oliver’s fight, Felicity and Curtis also butted heads over their new startup. They work amazingly well together, but communication seems to be an issue.

Felicity says that the new drug used to awaken Thea from her coma was a new form of Zolpidem. Zolpidem is a powerful sedative used to treat severe insomnia - the exact opposite of what one would want a coma patient to take!

Interestingly enough, I read that in much the same weird way that people with ADHD take drugs to calm and focus them that for anyone without the condition would instead make them jittery and buzzed, the medical community is actually using forms of sleeping pills to wake up coma patients.  I guess they didn't actually pull this out of their arses.  

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Interestingly enough, I read that in much the same weird way that people with ADHD take drugs to calm and focus them that for anyone without the condition would instead make them jittery and buzzed, the medical community is actually using forms of sleeping pills to wake up coma patients.  I guess they didn't actually pull this out of their arses.  

This make me wonder about waking up coma patients. I mean on some level isn't a coma the bodies way of protecting itself from further harm? I'm guessing they would only wake them up if being out of the coma is better for them. I don't know. I'm not a medical person LOL

A systematic review of zolpidem for noninsomnia neurological disorders, including movement disorders and disorders of consciousness, finds reason for additional research.

Most of the patients who responded to zolpidem for noninsomnia neurological disorders had either a disorder of consciousness or a movement disorder, Bomalaski reports. That includes those in comas and vegetative states, and others with Parkinson's disease and dystonia. In addition, some other patients who had experienced a stroke or traumatic brain injury, or patients with dementia, were prescribed for a range of symptoms, including aphasia, apathy and motor coordination. In all, more than 20 neurological disorders were part of the review.

"This is one of those strange paradoxes where the effects of an insomnia drug seem to have the opposite effect for patients who have paralysis or neurologic conditions," says co-author Mark Peterson, Ph.D., M.S., FACSM, assistant professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation and a member of U-M's Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation and Neuroscience Graduate Program. Some families will request zolpidem after finding a case study or news article online because they feel there are no other real options for their loved ones.

But zolpidem didn't work for everyone. The response rate in the reviewed articles was between 5 and 7 percent for patients with disorders of consciousness, and up to 24 percent or even higher for patients with movement disorders

• Love 4

Warning: podcast includes spoilers...

Agents of GEEK Podcast Episode 96
Posted on 11/26/2017, by Craig Wack and Tatiana Torres
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- Arrow 607: Craig thought that the episode just had "plot bullet points" that they were hitting, like Diggle's arm and Oliver's arrest. He said a lot of stuff happened, but the episode didn't keep him on the edge of his seat. Tatiana disagreed and felt "stressed" during parts of this episode. 

-- They talked about the lies, including Oliver's lie to William. Tatiana said that "that kid continues to redeem himself." Craig agreed and said that William was less "whiny" now.

-- With Diggle's treatment, Tatiana: "If an EMP hits Star City, half our crew is down."

-- Tatiana is now "worried" about Craig's theory that Black Siren will be redeemed because of all the "Laurel" references in this episode. Craig noted that Black Siren doesn't seem to be concerned with risking her life, is showing vulnerability now, and doesn't appear to like her current situation, therefore reinforcing his redemption theory.

Edited by tv echo

Quotes of the Week: Lucifer, B99, Supergirl, Criminal Minds and More
By Team TVLine / November 26 2017, 10:30 AM PST
http://tvline.com/2017/11/26/lucifer-call-me-the-skillet-best-tv-quotes/

ARROW

“Sitrep?”
“You’ve got four turkeys near the entrance and five more stuffed in on the floor — all puns intended.”

Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) watches over a Thanksgiving-night op

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

A.V. Club reviewers gave Supergirl 308 a B+ and Arrow 608 a B...

Supergirl hops Earths, punches Nazis as The CW’s crossover extravaganza begins
Caroline Siede  November 27, 2017
https://tv.avclub.com/supergirl-hops-earths-punches-nazis-as-the-cw-s-crosso-1820779980

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to review “Crisis On Earth-X, Part 1” as an episode of Supergirl. Because it isn’t an episode of Supergirl, not even in the sense of being a crossover filtered through Supergirl’s perspective. It features extended scenes between characters from other shows without a single Supergirl point-of-view character involved—like Barry Allen encouraging Oliver Queen to commit to Felicity Smoak or Caitlin Snow and Martin Stein discussing their family lives. I’m pretty sure we spend more time with non-Supergirl characters than we do with our own protagonists. The episode even makes time for important plot exposition from other series, like the reveal that Cisco Ramon and co. have created a cure for Martin and Jax Jackson’s Firestorm condition. Here’s hoping Supergirl’s audience knows what Firestorm is. 
The choice to have the crossover’s first big fight feature all the heroes in their wedding attire is truly inspired. In addition to that aforementioned dress-ripping moment, Kara taking on Nazi Kara while wearing a pretty lace dress was a real highlight. 

The crisis continues in Arrow's piece of The CW's Earth-X crossover
Allison Shoemaker   Nov. 28, 2017
https://www.avclub.com/the-crisis-continues-in-arrows-piece-of-the-cws-earth-x-1820799974

It’s difficult to judge how successful this episode of Arrow is, because it’s neither an episode of Arrow nor a complete story. If it’s tough to analyze the first half of a two-parter on its own terms (and it is), it’s doubly hard to look at the second quarter of a four-part “event” with any clarity. This hour has four big jobs: to pick up threads from Supergirl, to lay the groundwork for The Flash and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, to check a few character development boxes for each of the four shows involved, and and to make the “event” feel event-like. Relationship drama aside, all four of these shows have to put their own stories on hold to tell this one, and priority one is to make the proceedings as big and flashy as possible.
The other thing checking the event box is, of course, Nazis. Until this story is complete, it’s tough to say how thoughtfully or thoughtlessly it’s been handled by the various writing teams, so I won’t attempt to do so here. If Supergirl’s installment was about the arrival of the Earth-Xers, then Arrow’s is about Earth-1’s characters learning who they are and uncovering at least some of their motivations. So far, the answer to “why are they Nazis?” seems to be simply “Because Hitler won,” and that’s not super satisfying (though thumbs up to both “Oliver in the High Castle” and “Stalag S.T.A.R. Labs”), but the hour also reveals the reason they’ve arrived on Earth-1. It’s not conquest, though that seems to be a bonus. It’s because Dark Kara’s dying, and so they need to take Kara’s heart.

That’s both an answer and a set-up, so it gets the job done, but it’s unclear what, if any, emotional reaction we’re supposed to have to this revelation. Arrow seems to be threading the needle for more questions about Fake Laurel/Black Siren’s true nature this season, so this would seem like an opportunity to explore that more fully. It’s a nature vs. nurture question, writ large and with inter-dimensional travel: is Kara only Kara because of where her pod landed? Is Oliver only Oliver because of where and when he was born? If that Oliver still had his experiences on Lian Yu, would he be changed personally but not ideologically? This episode doesn’t answer that question, and to be honest, no show in the Arrowverse has even made a start. Whether we’ll get one here remains to be seen, but my guess is, it’s unlikely.

The likelier focus seems to be on the “weakness” of love and human connection. Appropriately, that’s something that’s tied together the current seasons of both Arrow and Supergirl, though more overtly on the latter. Both have seen their heroes grapple with what it means to love other people and their responsibilities to those people and to themselves. Kara Danvers has retreated further and further into herself — while still connecting to the people with whom she’s closest, she’s become more Supergirl and less Kara. Oliver has done the opposite, retreating from the hero to focus on being the man. Other flaws aside, this story is a clever way to tackle both those stories head-on, and while your mileage may vary when it comes to Stephen Amell and Melissa Benoist’s villainous performances, they’re both doing great work as the original versions of their characters. It’s smart, thoughtful stuff, and let’s hope it doesn’t get totally lost in the shuffle.
There’s a lot of shuffle, though, most of it tied to Oliver and Felicity, the latter of whom doesn’t want to get engaged because the last time that happened she got shot and was paralyzed. They’re not alone in the drama, however: Alex’s panic over her hookup with Sara and the dissolution of her relationship with Maggie follows her around like a cloud; Jax and Stein are going through what amounts to a bad and low-level dangerous breakup; Caitlin’s dealing with loss in her own private way; Barry and Iris just can’t get married; and Cisco’s down for the count. It’s a lot, and if that sounds like too much to cover satisfactorily in an hour, it is. Again, because Arrow’s just loading the cannon for the next two episodes, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Still, whether or not it pays off, it doesn’t make for particularly satisfying viewing (though the actors are all working overtime to make this stuff sing, and some, Emily Bett Rickards in particular, succeed.)
So polite of the many characters in the Earth-X exposition scene to go around the circle and take turns speaking like that.
The shot of the battle reflected in Stephen Amell’s eye was unnecessary and so, so cool that I don’t care.

Edited by tv echo

EW reviewers gave Supergirl 308 an A- and Arrow 608 a B...

Supergirl recap: 'Crisis on Earth-X, Part 1'
Sara Netzley November 27, 2017 AT 11:52 PM EST
http://ew.com/recap/supergirl-season-3-episode-8/

The, uh, love of his life who says no. Felicity says she doesn’t need a piece of paper to make things legal and suggests they discuss it some other time. Oliver replies, “I’m actually physically incapable of talking about anything else right now.” Flustered Oliver Queen is the best Oliver Queen. The conversation ends with her yelling, “Oliver, I don’t want to marry you!” Girl, I am always on your side, but OUCH. Presumably this is all tied up with the baggage surrounding their broken engagement and not-wedding, but it still hurts my heart. Thankfully, they’ve got a few more crossover episodes to sort this all out.
Thankfully, Oliver brought along his wedding bow and is able to deflect a Nazi arrow headed toward Harrison, who’s evacuating the humans. Then he has Cisco breach him up to the balcony to engage the Nazi-archer upstairs.
Okay, let’s discuss the Nazis in the room. Sure, it makes for a straightforward “good versus evil” storyline, but in this, the Year of Our Lord 2017, Nazis are a little less…hypothetical than we might like. It takes a bit of the fun escapism out of it for me — but only a bit, honestly, because this episode overall was a gas. What say you, Arrow-verse fans? Are you on board for more episodes of Nazi punching, or would you like to keep the Third Reich out of your superhero escapism?

Arrow recap: 'Crisis on Earth-X, Part 2'
Chancellor Agard November 27, 2017 AT 10:00 PM EST
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-episode-8/

Watching “Crisis on Earth-X, Part 2,” I couldn’t help but think of the recently released Justice League movie and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. There was a lot to dislike about those two movies (and I won’t take the time to explain what here), but at the same time, it’s hard to ignore the visceral excitement of just seeing your favorite heroes on screen together; it reminds of you of playing with action figures when you were younger. That’s how I felt about the second part of this year’s crossover, which, for the record, I liked way more than those aforementioned movies. While “Crisis on Earth-X” isn’t as strong as the first part due to a lot of necessary yet cumbersome exposition, I nevertheless found myself on the edge of my seat (read: office chair) because seeing Green Arrow, Supergirl, and The Flash team up is just so damn fun.

You’d think watching your best friend die a second time would mess Oliver up, but he has something else on his mind: Felicity not wanting to get married. So, Oliver — who, unless we’ve forgotten, is comfortable talking about his feelings now — brings up the issue with her once again. She says she loves him so much, but she just doesn’t want get married to anyone, which is news to Oliver, who very much wants to take that step. As Felicity later confides to Iris, she’s also worried that taking this step will cause more problems, like the last time they got engaged. One of the things I appreciated about this episode was that even amidst the exposition, they found time for these emotional moments that dug into the characters’ relationships. Jax and Stein also share a moment: Jax admits that he’s mainly upset with Stein because he hates the thought of losing the only father figure he’s ever had.

... And that’s not the fight’s only disturbing revelation: It turns out Oliver-X and Kara-X — whose ship landed in Nazi Germany instead of America, a twist on Superman’s origin story in Red Son — are married (I wrote “EWWW” in my notes when they kissed for the first time, which was Kara’s reaction, too). And the Reverse Flash is actually Earth-1 Eobard Thawne, who decided to wear Harrison Wells’ face for shiggles (and probably because Matt Letscher wasn’t available). How is Thawne alive? Time travel! Does that make sense since we saw him die on Legends of Tomorrow last season? No, not really! But who cares? I love watching Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells. Finally, our Oliver surprises everyone, especially Kara, by firing a Kryptonite arrow at Kara-X, reminding us that he’s the Arrowverse’s Batman because he’s always prepared....
As I mentioned at the top of the recap, this episode was an exposition-heavy hour. While that was necessary, it was frustrating to watch. Thankfully, writers Wendy Mericle and Ben Sokolowski made the exposition more palatable by including several scenes that were focused on the characters. Because this was technically an Arrow outing, most of those involved Oliver and Felicity; however, I appreciated Alex opening up to Kara about why she’s so upset after her one-night stand (she’s worried she’s going to regret breaking things off with Maggie) and the aforementioned moment between Jax and Stein. Plus, this episode was just funny! See you tomorrow for part 3.
Oliver’s surprise Kryptonite arrow has convinced me that the Arrow-verse needs to do its version of the “Tower of Babel” story line next year.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Season 6 Episode 8 Review: “Crisis On Earth-X, Part 2”
Chris King   November 28, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-6-episode-8-review-crisis-on-earth-x-part-2

And why is tonight’s Arrow so powerful? Well, aside from the amazing action (wonderfully directed by James Bamford) and the never-gets-old epicness of seeing these heroes onscreen together again, the reason why “Crisis On Earth-X, Part 2” works so well is because of the richness of the characters’ relationships. Similar to the depth of Oliver and Diggle’s bond, which we saw on full display in last Thursday’s Thanksgiving episode, there’s a strength and intensity to so many of the connections shown throughout “Crisis On Earth-X, Part 2” and that’s all because of the history these characters share. The reason why that conversation between Oliver and Evil Tommy is so effective is because of how Arrow has depicted their brotherhood in the past and the lasting impact that Tommy has had on Oliver for years, going back to one of Season 2’s very best episodes, “Three Ghosts.” And the same can be said for Oliver and Felicity, who take center stage for most of “Part 2,” along with “Part 1,” as they disagree over whether or not they should get married after Oliver impulsively proposes to her during Barry and Iris’s rehearsal dinner.

Arrow fans have seen Oliver and Felicity clash before in the past, but what makes this conflict so different than many of the ones we’ve seen before is that it is the byproduct of honesty, not deception. The fight that Oliver and Felicity have in “Crisis On Earth-X, Part 2” is not manufactured drama, the result of Oliver lying yet again or Felicity hiding something from him—the two of them are past that and have been since their conversations in “Underneath.” Instead, Felicity’s fear of marrying Oliver, of screwing up the great thing they currently have, comes from trauma—the trauma she endured after being shot when they first got engaged two years ago, the trauma that Felicity still carries with her every day, even though the spinal implant allows her to walk. Although Felicity logically knows that the bullet from Darhk’s men isn’t what caused her and Oliver’s relationship to crumble, that it isn’t what started “the beginning of the end” as she calls it when she talks to Iris, the fear and pain she suffered during that time overwhelms her. Those memories of fear and pain currently cloud her judgment so that she can’t see how different this time is than the last time, that she and Oliver are stronger, better, and more mature now, that no type of lying will ever get in the way of their relationship again because this new foundation they have created between them is entirely built on trust.

And that foundation is fortified even more so when Felicity expresses these worries to Oliver and explains her trepidation about marriage and when Oliver accepts her decision and respects where she is coming from. Is it unfortunate that Felicity then overhears his concern about whether or not she loves him as much as he loves her, a fear that Oliver confesses to Barry and Iris when he believes no one else is listening? Of course it is. But hey, it wouldn’t be a DC TV crossover if there wasn’t at least a little manufactured drama thrown into it. For the most part, though, this episode features Oliver and Felicity at their most honest and communicative, and that’s when these two characters  (and Arrow itself) are at their best. Hopefully, by crossover’s end, Felicity will not allow her worry to stop her from having everything she desires, from having the dream that she and Oliver talked about after they returned to Star City from Ivy Town. Something tells me that will happen, but we’ll have to wait until tomorrow night’s crossover conclusion to see how it all plays out.
Before we get into all the fun moments from this episode, one thing I do want to mention is that I wish the Arrow writers and this episode itself did a better job emphasizing the truly horrific nature of the atrocities committed by Nazis during World War II. We see a little bit of this touched on when Felicity reacts to the news about Earth-X, as she says that she feels physically ill, which is an appropriate response given the fact that her character is Jewish. However, the terrible crimes of the Nazis and the lives they destroyed are wounds that have (understandably) still not healed for many people living around the world today, and given the current political climate here in America, that fear, sadness, and pain is even more present. If you’re going to bring Nazis into your story as a main villain, it is your responsibility to accurately portray the gravity of their presence. Unfortunately, this episode failed to fully do that for me.
I don’t care if both of these moments happened in “Part 1″—I need to talk about them: Oliver’s flustered, babbling proposal to Felicity is Stephen Amell at his most charming and wonderful, and I am so here for Alex and Sara drunkenly hooking up. And they should do it again, once Alex is fully over Maggie. Just sayin’.

Gotta love Kara’s response to finding out that Evil Oliver and Evil Kara are married: “What? Gross…no offense.” Come on, Kara. Who are you trying to fool here? Did you see Oliver in that tux? Even Barry was wowed!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

SUPERGIRL: "CRISIS ON EARTH X, PART 1" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEEDEN  November 27, 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/28/supergirl-crisis-on-earth-x-part-1-review

Plot-wise, this crossover isn't much to write home about yet. It doesn't feel as though we learned anything at all about the brewing conflict between heroes and Nazi doppelgangers that wasn't already apparent from the trailers and promotional materials. All we know so far is that Earth-X is home to some Nazi-flavored versions of characters like Green Arrow, Supergirl, Reverse-Flash and Prometheus, and even that reveal was dragged out till the last possible minute. Revealing the basic premise behind Earth-X isn't really the most memorable way of capping off the first quarter of the crossover. It was all the more frustrating because it forced the Nazi versions of these characters to wear masks and disguise their voices for most of the episode, which really limited the intimidation factor.
That major flaw aside, this did prove to be a very entertaining start to the crossover. Barry and Iris getting married is a big deal, and it's nice to see the writers taking the time to give this development the room it deserves to breathe. And really, so much of the appeal with these shows is the way each group feels less like a superhero team than a goofy, dysfunctional. "Part 1" tapped into that appeal even as it mixed and matched the four casts and savored the chaos that followed.
One thing that struck me about this episode is that it didn't really feel weighted towards any one show or group of characters. It may technically be an episode of Supergirl, but "Part 1" focused as much attention on the Firestorm situation and Ollie and Felicity's new relationship drama as it did Kara and Alex's personal problems. That's another notable shift from "Invasion!," which made some effort to keep the different casts in the spotlight for their respective shows (especially Team Arrow, given that the show also reached its 100th episode during that crossover). This feels like a much more fluid and natural approach. There's plenty of banter and character drama from all directions, and it all culminated nicely as it became clear that Barry and Iris were practically the only people at the wedding not feeling miserable. That's a nice change of pace for Barry.

ARROW: "CRISIS ON EARTH-X, PART 2" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEEDEN  November 27, 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/28/arrow-crisis-on-earth-x-part-2-review

With “Crisis on Earth-X” now half over, I’m not optimistic this crossover is going to live up to last year’s “Invasion!”. The deeper we get into the actual meat of the crossover, the smaller and less monumental this war between heroes and Nazi doppelgangers actually feels. I’m hoping the writers have some serious tricks up their sleeves for tomorrow night, because this storyline needs something more.
Sadly, this episode struggled after that point. One problem “Crisis on Earth-X” is facing is that the Earth-X villains aren’t quite the overwhelming threat the Dominators were. When you have a mere three metahumans and a small army of disposable foot-soldiers, bringing the entirety of the Arrowverse to bear against them seems like overkill. The solution so far seems to boil down to never allowing the entire combined might of Team Arrow, Team Flash, the Danvers sisters and the Legends to unite against their Nazi enemies. The in-universe logic behind that is a bit questionable. I do think the climax of this episode helped rectify matters and turn the tables somewhat, but there’s still a sense that we’re basically seeing these heroes go through the motions before finally unleashing their full, combined might and saving the day.
It doesn’t help that this episode struggled to find a balance between interpersonal drama and advancing the Earth-X conflict. It was one thing for “Part 1” to focus so much attention on character drama building up to Barry and Iris’ wedding. But in the disastrous aftermath, you kind of just want these people to stop whining and focus on fighting the Nazis. If Barry and Iris can cope with having their wonderful day ruined by Nazi wedding crashers, then maybe Ollie and Felicity can keep their nonsense bottled up for just one night.

This episode did at least succeed in fleshing out the Earth-X characters. I hesitate to say “humanizing” them what with the swastikas and all, but at least we have an understanding of the relationship between Dark Archer and Overgirl and what motivates them in their interdimensional quest. It’s fun to watch Stephen Amell and Melissa Benoist play darker shades of their usual characters. Amell is an old pro at that by now, but there’s a real novelty when it comes to Benoist. The two share an interesting chemistry, enough so that maybe it’s time for an Arrow/Supergirl crossover one of these days. I just wish they’d stop with those stupid voice-changing masks. They sound ridiculous, and the masks serve no purpose now.

Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’ and ‘Supergirl’ Recap: “Crisis on Earth-X” Parts 1 & 2
BY KAYTI BURT      NOVEMBER 27, 2017
http://collider.com/arrow-supergirl-crossover-recap/

The villains from Earth-X are the worst part of the crossover so far. While you can see where the writers were coming from, repeating the simple, easy-to-remember mantra that Nazis are bad for a real world that apparently needs to hear such declarative statements, it’s hard to take these Star Wars-style Nazis seriously when we have real-life Nazis in America and the world right now who look nothing like this representation of evil from a bygone pop culture era when it was bold to cast cartoonish Nazis as your villain.

That being said, the Earth-Xers give our superheroes something definitive to fight back against, and there is something cathartic in that. But the true joy comes not in who these characters are punching, but in the assistance they draw from one another. Alex and Sara tearing slits in their dresses and facing off against the bad guys together. Cisco creating a Vibe portal for Oliver to jump through. Barry and Iris saying they love each other before fighting the bad guys in the ways they know how.
The major character-driven drama came in the Oliver/Felicity relationship. When Oliver asks Felicity to marry him during the rehearsal dinner, Felicity has to literally yell to get Oliver to take “no” for an answer. Felicity loves Oliver and is committed to him, she just doesn’t want anything to change. The last time they tried to move forward with their relationship and get married, Felicity ended up shot, which spelled the beginning of the end for that era of their relationship, as Felicity tells Iris.

Oliver, because he is a bit of a simple-minded dolt, thinks that Felicity’s hesitance in marrying him means he loves her more than she loves him.
All in all, I was wildly impressived with the storytelling ambitious “Crisis on Earth-X” has shown so far. There were some narrative missteps, but this is like nothing we have ever seen on-screen before: a true comic book-style crossover event that ties hours of superhero serials together in one epic story. Eat your heart out, Avengers
— I would watch a whole episode of Oliver not laughing at Barry’s speed puns. 

— Hopefully, leaving the universe is not considering a violation of Oliver’s bail. And hopefully Raisa is available for some serious overtime this week. 
— The shifts between the soapy moments leading up to Barry and Iris’ wedding were so tonally discordant with the Earth-X stuff. It was jarring.

• Love 2

‘Arrow’ 6×08 Review: Crisis on Earth-X Part 2
November 28, 2017, by LISSETE LANUZA SÁENZ
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-6x08-review-crisis-earth-x-part-2/

Trust me, I really wish I could be writing something else. I wish I could be rejoicing at the annual crossover, one of my favorite things about DCTV, because continuity is beautiful and friendships that span different shows are beautiful too. I wish I could be excited about Alex getting to meet the rest of the gang, or about Felicity and Iris finally getting a chance to show us what female friendships could and should look like in DCTV. Instead, all I can see is…well, NAZIS.
I am, however, tasked with writing this review, and I firmly believe that, even from the outside looking in, it’s my responsibility to denounce this for what it is – not just a bad idea, but a bad idea that was really, really badly executed.
But, in the current political climate, this episode feels not just ill-advised, but reckless. Nazis are fashionable now, and we must not for a second believe they’re not out there, recruiting, taking every little semi-positive depiction in the media and trying to turn it into their advantage. And yes, they’re the bad guys in this, but turning them into cartoonish bad guys is the wrong move for an era where everything is so nuanced.

Nazis are not easily recognizable. They’re not your stereotypical villains. They’re people like you and me, just as they were in the Germany of the 1940s. The scary thing about them is not that they’re comic-book-type villains; the scary thing is that they’re not.
Moreover, the symbols of the Holocaust, the reconstruction of the very famous Auswitchz gate, the pajama-clad extras, it all just feels like a slap in the face of those of us who know that the Holocaust was so much more than this could ever come close to depicting.

But, what if you don’t know? What if you’ve never educated yourself? What if this is your first contact with the idea of Nazis and the horror of the Holocaust? Then, perhaps, you come out of this thinking – well, it was not so bad. People had it rough for a while, but the good guys won in the end. All is well.

Except it’s not. For so many people, it will never be. And our responsibility is to remember what happened, to continue depicting it, yes, but to do it in a way that is truthful, a way that doesn’t minimize the horror, and a way that is respectful to the millions of people who lost their lives, not for being in the way, no, but as victims of persecution and hate.
I have very little interest in doing what the show wants me to do, which is going over the motivations of the bad guys, and dissecting how they were probably born into this world and don’t know better and all of that self-serving crap. Truth is, these shows, all of them, should have known better than to give me a world where my good guys were suddenly my bad guys.
So, no, Nazis. I’m not gonna sit here and dissect your motives. I’m not gonna talk about Overgirl and Dark Arrow, or reminisce about seeing Colin Donell back and how his friendship with Dark Arrow could have gone in Earth-X. I’m not gonna laugh at nazi jokes. I do not care. I’m not here to humanize Nazis.

Fuck Nazis.
Last year Olicity didn’t work at all, so it’s not like I’m going to sit here and say that Olicity always works, but let’s just say Olicity almost always does? Most of it, I presume, has to do with actual chemistry (not feeling like giving the writers much credit today), but in this episode, though the journey from Point A to Point C was a bit rocky, Olicity still shined.
But, back to Felicity and her sudden aversion to marriage, even before she articulated her fears to Iris (TO IRIS OMG SHE TALKED TO IRIS), it was obvious what her reasoning was. She’s scared. The status quo is good and it’s working, so why risk it? Last time she tried to have everything she lost everything.
Still, the storyline works because Oliver and Felicity are allowed to talk about it, because Felicity gets to express her fears, if not all her reasons, and because when she asks Oliver to respect her decision, he does, even if he’s frustrated and confused and hurt.

Character development, you look good on Oliver.

And, of course, it also works because Felicity is allowed to go through this progression of figuring out what she really wants with someone by her side, that someone being Iris….
When they first talked to each other, I thought it was a mirage. How long can this last, I asked myself? Then, when Felicity actually confided in Iris, I pinched myself. This couldn’t really be happening, could it? Only Oliver and Barry are allowed moments like this. Female friendships are forbidden in DCTV!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

ALT-UNIVERSE NAZIS CRASH BARRY AND IRIS’ WEDDING IN NIGHT 1 OF CRISIS ON EARTH-X
Trent Moore   November 28, 2017
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/alt-universe-nazis-crash-barry-and-iris’-wedding-in-night-1-of-crisis-on-earth-x

The “Mirror Universe” concept is a well-worn sci-fi trope, but for good reason. There’s something uniquely satisfying about lining your hero up and forcing them to look at the person they could become with a few different choices. From superhero to supervillain. From savior to ruler. It can all change on one decision, in one moment. No evil goatee required.
It’s easy enough to fight off aliens, or a super-being who drops you into a show-tune-filled dream reality, but fighting yourself? That’s a very different type of challenge. We see most of the Arrowverse’s heroes fight to stalemates with their evil versions, and this looks to be a battle that will require more than a McGuffin to save the day. We even learn the motivation behind this Nazi invasion in the second hour: Evil Kara is dying and needs a new heart, so the plan is to harvest Supergirl’s organs to save her life. We get a peek into the twisted relationship between Nazi Arrow and Overgirl, which doubles as a bit of wish fulfillment for fans who have been “shipping” the two heroes since they first met a season or two ago.

But it wasn’t all dour Nazis and swastikas. These crossovers are built from the ground up to be big, silly fun — and the first two hours of “Crisis on Earth-X” absolutely delivered on all fronts. We got some of the best mash-up fight scenes these shows have ever delivered. From Oliver jumping through a breach mid-shot to White Canary and Alex Danvers fighting side by side as Firestorm blazed above them, they pulled out pretty much all the stops for this one. It’s absolutely mind-boggling how many characters they’ve managed to cram into these crossovers year after year, and the 2017 edition is almost certainly the biggest yet.
*As far as the format is concerned, The CW nailed it this time around. Instead of trying to maintain some semblance of episodic splits based on the mothership show of the hour, this is basically a four-hour miniseries all its own. It just so happens to be running inside episodes of Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow. They even give it a fresh intro that blends the included shows to make it clear this is not a standalone, at least not this week. After seeing the awkward transition into this format the past few years, the creative team looks to have finally found a formula that works. It gives the story room to breathe, and the characters are free to shift around the entire four-hour runtime. This is basically a big ol’ Arrowverse movie, in all the best ways.
*This two-hour block was positively loaded with montages and slow walks, but they were so darn fun it’s hard to complain about them. It’s big and superhero-y, so why not revel in the cliches?

*The line: “It was Oliver in the High Castle,” - Felicity

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 6, Episode 8 - Crisis On Earth-X, Part 2
Starman   November 28, 2017
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2017/11/arrow-episode-guide-season-6-episode-8.html

Influences

General alternate reality tropes involving The Axis Powers winning World War II, Justice League of America #107 (Vol. 1) (basic plot, idea of Earth-X), Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters (The conversation between Felicity and Oliver about getting married mirrors the infamous chat between Oliver and Dinah about having kids), Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (the Kryptonite arrow) and The Man In The High Castle (same Axis Powers win World War II tropes, but also specifically name-dropped by Felicity)

Goofs

Why is Jax so surprised by the concept of parallel Earths existing? He met Supergirl a year earlier and knew she came from a different Earth!

Where the heck did Oliver get the Kryptonite for a Kryptonite Arrow? (Probably Cisco.)

At this point, the continued resurrections of Eobard Thawne have passed being merely illogical to become completely annoying.

Why doesn't Dark Arrow shoot Harry before he runs down the hall and trips the security alarm?

Also, STAR Labs really needs to get locks on the doors. Immediately.

Performances

It's a brief cameo, but Colin Donnell has a great turn as the evil Tommy Merlyn of Earth-X.

As per usual, the chemistry between Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards is amazing.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Supergirl Season 3 Episode 8 Review: Crisis on Earth X Part 1
Delia Harrington   November 28, 2017
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/supergirl/269289/supergirl-season-3-episode-8-review-crisis-on-earth-x-part-1

A big part of what works with Star Wars is that the references to the Third Reich are just that: allusions, visual and otherwise, tying their villains to a real world touchstone that resonates strongly with the audience. There's a similar tactic in V for Vendetta. Here, the visual is less successful first because futuristic Nazis reads too much like Star Wars. Second, there is no subtlety and no layers to this portrayal. These Nazis Sieg Heil and decorate every skyscraper they have with enormous Swastika banners. And if you're looking for a modern portrayal of an alternative reality where the Nazis are in power, a much better one already exists: The Man in the High Castle. It is precise, carefully thought out, grounded in the historical reality, and poses powerful questions about loyalty, morality, and survival.

Perhaps worse than the flat, unimaginative visuals is the ways in which "Earth X" falls short of High Castle. These Nazis are cartoonish - a Supergirl with an SS on her chest where her Kryptonian S belongs sounds like an edgy teenager's idea, or an actual white supremacists dream. Multiple characters yell "I hate Nazis!" on separate occasions during the episode. I'm sure the CW is very proud of themselves for their contemporary political commentary and "Make America Aryan Again"-style lines, but when the world is full of very real Nazis, such obviously fake ones feel cringe-worthy and lacking in any emotional or narrative weight. To answer Victor's question, what's so scary about Nazis 70 years after their defeat is the fact that they can not only march down main street in khakis and polo shirts, but that they gain followers and national platforms to spread their beliefs in the light of day, not the shadows.
Worse still, we're expected to pretend the better part of the hour not figuring out that the flying blonde woman and capable archer decked out in black and red are Earth X's versions of Oliver and Kara. Even if you buy these villains, the most (and only?) surprising thing to happen this episode has nothing to do with the bad guys, but rather Felicity expressing that she doesn't want to legally marry Oliver.

Speaking of that, delightful moment of classic Olicity banter, the most successful parts of this episode are character-driven moments. Oliver and Barry's talk about marriage and finding happy endings showcases just how much Oliver has grown in the past few seasons, although him naming Barry's comparative wisdom in this area was a bit too on the nose. Oliver's grumpy old curmudgeon routine is always worth a few laughs, and I think it landed better than Rory's lines. Speaking of Rory: why on earth is he there, other than to keep the promise that there would be "humor" in this episode? Cisco and Wells make for better comedy and their presence makes more narrative sense.

Arrow Season 6 Episode 8 Review: Crisis on Earth X Part 2
Delia Harrington   November 28, 2017
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/arrow/269290/arrow-season-6-episode-8-review-crisis-on-earth-x-part-2

Like Part I, three of the best scenes were emotionally resonant and character-driven. I never thought I would see Oliver calmly ask to speak about an emotional issue. Stephen Amell's performance in this scene was lovely and restrained, with a depth of emotions playing out across his face. Kara reminding her sister about how Maggie helped her be true to herself was both sympathetic to Alex's emotional current state and respectful of the gravity of that relationship. And Finally Firestorm pushed forward their issues with their impending separation and what it will mean for their father/son-esque relationship.
Eobard Thawn pointed out that Dark Arrow's love for Overgirl, the Nazi version of Supergirl (in Kara's words, gross!), could cause him to compromise their mission for the Reich. So far this is our only bit of characterization for any of the three of them, other than evil and, in the Dark Archer's case, brooding. It's also the closest we've come to a motivation or a plot, other than "Nazis show up and want the MacGuffin." Hopefully these characters will have a bit more to them other than the shock value of seeing the actors we enjoy dressing and acting like Nazis. Speaking of their clothing, Overgirl's outfit is amazing, and even comes with great lip color and the pants that fans have been asking for. As a rule, can we at least agree to make the Nazis look less cool than the good guys?
The first X-Men movie did a great job of mining the Holocaust and the Third Reich for effective, moving storytelling, so it can be done. That's just not what's happened here. There's something about the quip-y banter and  goofy tone that feels jarring with the reality of the subject matter. There's also no real commentary here, other than some very surface level lip service to the fact that Nazis are bad. Thanks for the hot take, y'all.
I would love to see the next two episodes dig into Overgirl's belief that she lives in a meritocracy, or for the show to let us know what has happened to the Earth X versions of people who the Reich would target for genocide, like the black, queer, and Jewish characters. It would've been easy to build in a scene or two of Felicity, who is Jewish, grappling with the emotional intensity of a planet where the Reich has conquered all. She seems to be the most affected, but nothing has been mentioned explicitly, and the character herself has acknowledged in the past that everyone forgets she's Jewish. I think the audience could use a reminder.

Edited by tv echo
7 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I can't believe this came from CB. It's a Christmas miracle!

Why An Olicity Marriage is Good For 'Arrow' (Even if You Don't Like It)
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/29/why-an-olicity-marriage-is-good-for-arrow-even-if-you-dont-like-/

Oh, this part:

(And, yes, there are a fair number of people who still ship Oliver with some other character, mainly one of the Black Canaries. That ship seems to have sailed a while back, so if that is your jam, we will not have much to offer.)

You should never be able to say "one of" a character when it comes to a LI, especially if the character in question is whoever's wearing a certain mask at the moment or any Earth's version of a character (for those who are now calling for Oliver/Black Siren, simply because she's another Earth's LL/played by KC). 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

Obviously things were covered up and I am sure AK is not the only abuser.

I don't understand why stuff like this gets covered up. I mean, I do, but it still baffles me. The HR department should protect the abused and not the abuser. Look at NBC, they fired Matt Lauer before it could become public knowledge that he did something and they knew about it. When it becomes about their brand, then they can act. When it is about a nobody who works for them, they seemingly don't really care. Nobody should have that much power or be considered that important that you cannot tell him that he can't behave like the first person to ever live. 

Also I don't know how you can work with AK closely in the way that GB did for years and not hear about anything at all. I am willing to give people the benefit of doubt but I mean, I don't believe that this is possible. 

• Love 3
Just now, Belinea said:

I don't understand why stuff like this gets covered up. I mean, I do, but it still baffles me. The HR department should protect the abused and not the abuser. Look at NBC, they fired Matt Lauer before it could become public knowledge that he did something and they knew about it. When it becomes about their brand, then they can act. When it is about a nobody who works for them, they seemingly don't really care. Nobody should have that much power or be considered that important that you cannot tell him that he can't behave like the first person to ever live. 

Also I don't know how you can work with AK closely in the way that GB did for years and not hear about anything at all. I am willing to give people the benefit of doubt but I mean, I don't believe that this is possible. 

HR is the arm of the company that protects the COMPANY, even though it should be the other way around. 

As for Matt Lauer, the person who filed the complaint, along with her lawyer, brought "credible and believable evidence" (According to NBC's Lack), that had them firing him immediately. We don't know what he did or what the evidence is. Just as with Charlie Rose. I don't have any answers as to why the CW/WB wouldn't take swift action as well, since there were nearly 20 complaints against that asswipe creeper Kreisberg.

2 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Oh, I will not give GB, Sarah Schechter, or MG the benefit of the doubt. I have no doubt that they knew and instead of removing him, shuffled him around for the sake of their brand. I do wonder if we'll hear something in a few months about MG stepping back from Arrow/LOT to work on his other projects. I do think GB will come out of this unscathed unfortunately.

• Love 3

The Top 5 (and 2 Worst) CW Superhero Romances  "Crisis on Earth-X" crossover event highlights The CW superheroes' romantic couplings.

by Erik Amaya | November 28, 2017  Rotten Tomatoes

1. Alex Danvers and Maggie Sawyer

2. Barry Allen and Patty Spivot

3. Kara Danvers and Mon-El of Daxam

4. Oliver Queen and Felicity Smoak (Take Two)

Admittedly, Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) were insufferable the first time around. In giving the fans what they believed they wanted, the relationship took a lot of the bite out of Felicity and made Oliver more of a jerk than usual. This time, though, they come off as complimentary people working toward common goals. We’ve seen them tentatively include William in the dynamic as well, which may be why it is working better this time. The year apart probably helped as well, even if both tried to move on and failed miserably. A helpful explosive device care of Prometheus (or was it Helix?) also put them on the road to reconciliation. But as the only couple on this list still together, there is plenty of time for them to screw it up again. They made a good go of it at the rehearsal dinner!

The key to making it work, of course, is Rickards ability as a performer. She was the reason why “Olicity” took root with fans in the first place. In fact, she may be the reason the entire Arrowverse works as well as it does. Introduced as a recurring character, she was essential by the end of the first season. She also introduced the world to Barry Allen. So, hopefully, she can make the long-term relationship of Oliver and Felicity something fans want to see last.

5. Iris West and Eddie Thawne

And the Worst …

2. Tommy Merlyn and Laurel Lance

Oh, Tommy Merlyn (Colin Donnell). A hangover from Arrow’s initial mix of Smallville and Gossip Girl, he played the spoiled playboy archetype despite attempting to date the socially conscious Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy). Looking back, all of their scenes together seemed to come from a different, backlit show. Granted, a number of those scenes took place at the Verdant night club. In the midst of this, his father Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman) cut off his trust fund, forcing him to grow up a little and move in with Laurel. The two make the best of it for a time, until Tommy realizes Oliver still loved Laurel. Or, at least, that’s the way he perceived things. Time would prove Laurel and Oliver’s love for each other was never quite as romantic as Tommy believed.

In fact, Oliver and Laurel made for a terrible couple as well.

But perhaps the worst part of the Tommy-Laurel pairing comes after Tommy’s death. For much of the second season, Laurel spent her life in a drunken, despondent stupor and nearly ruined her career. Although the latter had as much to do with the Sebastian Blood (Kevin Alejandro) situation as it did her chemical dependencies.

Laurel eventually recovered, but considering the wobbly writing of both Tommy and Laurel at the time, they easily earn a spot on this short list.

1. The Hawks

( I disagree about Alex/Maggie which I thought was badly written, and about Mon El/Kara because she turned into someone who is all about her man.)

• Love 1