Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

So Alasdair Wilkins is going to Inverse. Too bad he isn't taking over Arrow reviews because the Inverse guy who writes about Arrow really hates Olicity.

Edited by tv echo

EW reviewer is now Chancellor Agard (replacing Sara Netzley) - he gave 601 a "B"...

Arrow premiere recap: 'Fallout'
CHANCELLOR AGARD OCTOBER 13, 2017 
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-premiere/ 

Here’s where Bamford’s great direction really helps spice things up. A potentially boring scene in which Oliver gives another speech as mayor is elevated by being shot in one long take. Instead of focusing on Oliver, the camera follows Dinah as she moves around the room, checking in with the other teammates, and once the speech is done, it follows Oliver and Quentin out of the room, because it’s time for some Real Talk. Quentin admits to Oliver that he’s so torn up about leaving Earth-2 Laurel to die on Lian Yu because he realizes all of this “parallel Earth crap is crap.” That’s his daughter, no matter what anyone says. Sure, Oliver can’t relate to shooting his child, but he does know how it feels to have a very strained relationship with one, which he’s currently having with William. While I’m still on the fence about making William a permanent part of the show, I like that his inclusion has added a new layer to Oliver and Quentin’s relationship, which is one of the most complex on the show.
While “Fallout” definitely doesn’t rank among Arrow‘s best episodes, it still works for the most part. Arrow tends to struggle with season premieres because its finales, whether they’re good or not, do tend to be game-changers, which means the openers are tasked with explaining where things stand and can’t really dig into the meat of the new season. Season 5 was one of the show’s strongest outings, and the writing, direction, and performances in this episode give me confidence that the show can keep up the quality.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Gee, I wonder who he was hoping the show would kill off...

ARROW: "FALLOUT" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEEDEN   12 OCT 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/13/arrow-title-review

It’s frustrating to see so little collateral damage from the Lian Yu incident. Samantha is the easy sacrifice - a character whom no one will miss and whose death kicks off a key new character arc for Ollie. What’s the point of ending Season 5 in such dramatic fashion if the series isn’t going to follow through in Season 6? Why go to such extreme lengths to kill off one minor character? Sure, the blast also left Thea comatose, but what are the odds she won’t be waking up at some point during the course of the season. Similarly, how likely is it that the missing characters (the al Ghul sisters and Evelyn) won’t resurface sooner or later? Sadly, a lack of follow-through seems to be the running theme with the Arrowverse this week. The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow also had problems with making good on their big season finale cliffhangers.
Diggle’s subplot didn’t really connect, mostly because I found it hard to buy into the idea that he’d be so traumatized by the events on Lian Yu while the rest of his teammates seem to have recovered. Given everything Diggle has been through as a soldier and as Spartan, why is this event in particular having such a burdensome impact on him? Why not a less seasoned hero like Rene or Curtis? Hopefully the series will actually address those questions going forward.

The two characters who really did seem to benefit from the events on Lian Yu are Quentin and Laurel. As repetitive as Quentin’s character arc can be (with the character constantly mourning the death of one daughter or the other and fighting to stay sober) the idea that he was forced to shoot his daughter’s evil twin to save Dinah is inspired. The truth behind that encounter made for an enjoyable little mystery, and Paul Blackthorne excelled at capturing Quentin’s raw, pained emotion as he squared off with Black Siren in both past and present. For her part, Katie Cassidy is very entertaining as the gleefully evil Black Siren, and so far the series seems to be justifying the questionable decision to spotlight two versions of Black Canary this season. The two big Laurel/Dinah fights were definitely a highlight (thanks in no small part to director James Bamford’s always impeccable fight choreography).
Sadly, Arrow transitions from its best episode ever to one of its more disappointing episodes in recent memory. "Fallout" suffered from a lack of just that. The ramifications of Prometheus' final attack proved far less compelling than hoped. And while certain characters are benefiting from the current status quo, the series has yet to establish a clear and compelling direction for the new season. Shifting focus to Ollie's latest secret identity snafu doesn't seem like the best move.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Did Arrow Defy Too Many Deaths? Was Outlander Tease Clever or Cruel? Did Supergirl Need Aquaman? And More Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Michael Ausiello, Matt Webb Mitovich, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz and Charlie Mason / October 13 2017
http://tvline.com/2017/10/13/arrow-season-6-premiere-deaths-tv-questions-answers/

20 | Was Arrow‘s season-opening cliffhanger resolution (1 confirmed death out of a possible 13!) a bigger cop-out than Chicago Fire‘s (0-for-7)? Does Quentin seriously not understand how doppelgängers work, or does he just not believe that parallel Earths exist? And did the vibe between Dinah and Dig read more “We’re having a secret affair” than “I know you’re lying about your injury”?

Arrow Season 6 Premiere Review: “Fallout”
Chris King  October 13, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-6-premiere-review-fallout

... Despite the numerous action sequences, from Oliver and Dig taking down henchmen together in the Arrowcave to the two face-offs that Black Canary and Black Siren have, this Arrow premiere is a quieter, more contemplative episode of television, one that tries to examine how the events on Lian Yu five months ago changed all of our main characters’ lives for better and for worse.

The two men at the focus of this examination are Oliver and Quentin, who both are struggling with the idea of what it means to be a father in very different ways....
Unlike in past seasons, though, Oliver Queen is handling these challenges in mature, non-destructive ways, a welcome sign of growth given the evolution he went through during Season 5....
It seems like Diggle is struggling with PTSD of some sort after the events on Lian Yu, as he has difficulty firing his gun throughout “Fallout” and opts to stay back in the Arrowcave when the team is on its mission at City Hall. Dinah is the team member that takes notice to this, and I’m excited for this storyline because I loved the friendship that developed between Dig and Dinah last season. Here’s hoping she can help him get through this like he helped her get through the grief of her partner and boyfriend.
While Oliver and Felicity never explicitly state that they are a couple in this episode, it’s made pretty clear that they’re together during the scene early on in “Fallout” when she brings Big Belly Burger to the team in the Arrowcave. Oliver asks her to join him back at his apartment so that they can talk to William about the two of them, but Felicity suggests they do it another night. I’m very much here for this drama-free, openly communicative version of Oliver and Felicity. Please keep that going all season long, Arrow writers.

My only real gripe with this episode is that the editing and pacing of it felt very off. The creative team doesn’t give certain moments enough time to really breathe and stand on their own, and it really lessens their emotional impact for me. Hopefully, that’s only because they were trying to cram so much into this first episode, and it’s not indicative of what the series will feel like all season long.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

‘Arrow’ Season 6 Premiere Recap: “Fallout” – Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story?
BY KAYTI BURT  OCTOBER 12, 2017
http://collider.com/arrow-season-6-episode-1-recap/

What would Team Arrow do without Dinah, who continues to be the most stable member of this team? She is the one Lance texts when he’s at the bar, staring down some shot glasses. She’s the one who notices Diggle’s troubles. Her one semi-flaw in this premiere episode is enabling Lance’s delusions that he should be ashamed for shooting Black Siren, a woman who may look like his daughter, but who decidedly is not.
While they play it chill, Oliver and Felicity are totally back together. Oliver wants Felicity to be part of William’s life, but she is nervous about taking such a big step. I think it may be the time for big steps, Felicity.
If William hadn’t gone to school that one time I would be unsure if he is capable of existing outside of his bedroom.
“The truth is I killed my daughter.” No, Lance. No, you did not.

“Promise me that you will be his father.” — Samantha’s dying words. If only she had let Oliver be a part of William’s life roughly eight years ago.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

ARROW DEALS WITH FATHERHOOD AND THE DEADLY FALLOUT FROM LIAN YU IN SEASON 6 DEBUT
Trent Moore  Oct. 12, 2017
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/arrow-deals-with-fatherhood-and-the-deadly-fallout-from-lian-yu-in-season-6-debut

... Seeing Oliver make the transition from son to father should make for a compelling narrative, and one that has been a very long time coming.
*After setting up the Lian Yu cliffhanger, it was honestly a bit of a letdown to have no one from Team Arrow actually taken out. Yes, Thea is in a coma, but that’s pretty much it....

*What’s wrong with Diggle? We see Diggle shaking as he tries to pull the trigger during a mission, and again when under attack in the Arrow Cave. We get some quick nods back to the explosions on Lian Yu, and perhaps a lingering shoulder injury(?), but there’s no real resolution to that question here...

*Who is Evil Laurel working for, and why did she steal a T-Sphere? Putting Black Siren as the face of this mystery operation is a clever move to draw her back into the fold, and yeah, an obvious way to keep Cassidy on the show. But hey, for now it works. So no complaints.
*We also seem to have a few too many canary-powered heroes around this season, though the Canary vs. Siren fights were a lot of fun.
*How bad is the security at the Arrow Cave? Season after season we see bad guys with nary a problem storming the high security bunker and causing all kinds of chaos. Didn’t Argus, Cisco, Felicity and Curtis all team up to develop the security system there? It’s insane to think Black Siren and her gang could just stroll in without tripping a sensor.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Suggests a More Mature Direction in the Muddled “Fallout,” But Will You Stick Around to See What Happens Next?
Kelly Konda  October 13, 2017
https://weminoredinfilm.com/2017/10/13/arrow-suggests-a-more-mature-direction-in-the-muddled-fallout-but-will-you-stick-around-to-see-what-happens-next/

Arrow’s fifth season went out with a bang. Literally. Adrian blew up Lian Yu with the majority of Team Arrow on it, which is why the CW has been so cagey with its season six advertising. They’ve wanted to maintain the mystery over who made it off the island and who didn’t. Turns out, they need not have bothered because “Fallout” gave us one confirmed casualty (William’s mom), one implied casualty (Talia) and one survivor laid up in a coma (Thea). That’s it.

Obviously, it’s not a good look that the victims all turned out to be women or that their goodbyes were so poorly handled (too short, too laughably taking place on a clearly fake set meant to be a burnt island, too reminiscent of Black Canary’s terrible death), but it’s likely more the practical result of contractual concerns than any kind of intentional fridging. Arrow’s history in this area with its female characters is not good meaning what happened here probably shouldn’t be surprising, even if it is upsetting. In this case, they essentially cleared out a couple of part-time characters (which is what Thea had become), made room for one new part-timer (Slade) and brought back all of their regulars, which now also includes Katie Cassidy’s Black Siren.
The most meaningful changes in the bunch, not surprisingly, are those involving Oliver, specifically his updated dating status and sudden parental responsibilities. That’s the biggest hint of what direction season 6 is heading. For better or worse, this is going to be the season of Oliver learning how to raise a son. I was initially resistant to this storyline because the history of shows adding kid characters mid-stream is not good, thank you very much Ally McBeal and Angel. It’s usually an act of desperation and results in obnoxious little teenagers mouthing off to our beloved protagonists.

However, Oliver’s had so many surrogate father figures over the years it only makes sense for him to become a literal father, this time a full-time one, finally seeing his son more than just once or twice a season during sweeps week. Plus, we’re into season 6, and Oliver is easily the oldest central hero in the Arrowverse (he’s got over half a decade on Barry and Kara, and though they’re similar in age or older neither Ray nor Professor Stein anchor Legends the way Oliver does with Arrow). Why not give him a more mature storyline? But they’ll have to walk through this very carefully. This could so wrong so quickly because a kid character can easily overtake a show and turn it into something else. And William might not be the only kid character around if Rene somehow gets his daughter back. Add on top of that Quentin’s ongoing “She’s not my daughter! She is my daughter! Oh, I don’t know what to do” drama with Laurel and you have a real sense that season 6 might as well be subtitled “Parenthood.”

The real question is whether or not you or I will be sticking around to see what they do with this. Because “Fallout” was a fairly poor episode. It started out strong enough, efficiently running down the Team Arrow roster mid-battle to immediately answer who died and who didn’t while also holding back on “Felicity’s alive!” just a little longer to heighten tension. However, the five-month time jump also meant there wasn’t quite as much emotional immediacy to the flashbacks as there could have been, and because this is Arrow drama had to come from characters keeping secrets for no good reason. Looking at you, Quentin, Dinah and Diggle. The flow in and out of the flashbacks was completely off, granting Oliver a mere 30 seconds or so to mourn the apparent loss of his sister (they played real fast and loose with whether or not we were supposed to believe she’d died). The fight scenes were fairly uninspired and lacking in sensible geographic spacing. Plus, Katie Cassidy’s a lot of fun as Black Siren, but we know she isn’t the real big bad. Regardless of who that turns out to be, the odds of them being as compelling as Adrian aren’t good.
Black Siren vs. Black Canary! OMG! Let’s go crazy!

But, honestly, I just don’t care, or at least not as much as I probably should.
The big secret is that Quentin killed Laurel to save Dinah? Note everybody else’s near complete lack of surprise or empathy.
What’s the over-under on the number of times William is taken hostage this season?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Arrow Season 6 Episode 1 Review: Fallout
Delia Harrington   October 12, 2017
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/arrow/268213/arrow-season-6-episode-1-review-fallout

It feels like every other scene in this episode is a fight or an explosion, although the best has to be the fight between Dinah and evil Laurel. Their dialogue leaves something to be desired, but I'm hoping that these two will square off many more times to come.
First, how is Malcolm Merlyn not by her side and rashly blaming everyone? I know he was in a tough spot the last time we saw him, but that guy has some serious plot armor, so I don't for a second think he's dead. Second, I'm glad for the showrunner's sake that Thea is alive, because I'm not so sure the fandom could take another badass woman from this show being killed off.
Oliver and Felicity's relationship seems uncertain, which is realistic, given that their moment of connection came in the midst of a life-and-death scenario. Almost no time was spent on Olicity aside from one very brief, delightfully awkward conversation, a necessity of playing catch-up on the events of Lian Yu while setting up several season-long arcs between all those explosions and fights.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: Slow Start, Strong Finish
By Matt Ross  October 12th, 201
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/10/12/arrow-slow-start-strong-finish?sf121520399=1

Also, the storyline carrying over that I was hoping would be done is the relationship Quentin seems to have with bad Laurel. At first, I really liked this dynamic. I thought it was a cool angle—what father wouldn’t struggle seeing someone you believe to be your dead daughter? It would play major head games with you. However, as time went on, I felt like Quentin’s obsession with this made him one-dimensional. The more we see him struggling with the same thing over and over, the more it kind of loses its effect. He either needs to accept the idea of parallel Earths and that’s not technically his daughter, or get out of the way. But maybe his persistence is the show hinting at something? Who knows… Honestly, I’d like to see the parallel Earth version of Quentin. He’s probably clean-shaven, sober and has a good attitude.
I hope Alex Faust sticks around for a while. I really dig his character and I think he has the potential to be a pretty cool villain—or at least contribute to some bad guy plans....

I also like this developing issue we’re seeing with John not being able to fire his gun or hit a target. We’re obviously seeing the tip of the iceberg with this issue and I’m curious to know what exactly is going on. Although, I was a little confused…after the attack on Ollie’s hideout, Dinah tells John she found his gun and it wasn’t fired…but I thought he fired it multiple times and missed the guy. Maybe I’m the one who missed something.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 6, Episode 1 - Fallout
Starman  October 12, 2017
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2017/10/arrow-episode-guide-season-6-episode-1.html

Performances
.  .  .
Paul Blackthorne and Juliana Harkavy having amazing chemistry together - far better than Blackthorne ever had with Katie Cassidy, ironically enough. The scene of Quentin turning to Dinah for help with his alcoholism is a powerful one.
Trivia
.  .  .
The criminal Team Arrow goes after in the opening scene is a man named Faust. There are two famous Fausts in DC Comics, but neither of them is a weapon's dealer. The first is Felix Faust - a wizard who made an appearance on Constantine in C110. The second Faust, son of the first, is a powerful sorcerer in his own right, who was born without a soul thanks to his father's attempt to bargain it away for more magical power. The deal worked but, much to Felix Faust's annoyance, his son got the power and became a good guy. This Faust, whose first name is revealed to be Alex, has no magical powers but does seem to be obsessed with explosives.
Technobabble
The MGM-140 Faust fires at Star City is a "fire and forget" weapon. It's full name is the MGM-140 Army Tactical Missile System (ATacMS).

Mister Terrific disarms the missile by having his T-Sphere spoof the missile's guidance system and drawing it back over the waterfront where it can detonate harmlessly.

Faust makes use of a false-tooth C-4 implant. It becomes a powerful explosive when submerged in carbonated water.

Sniffers are electronic bomb-detectors that can spot an ounce of explosive materials within a 1000 ft. radius.
Dialogue Disasters
Every moment of William's crying about "The Bad Man". The child actor involved looks way too old to be saying the dialogue that was written for him.

Black Canary is severely nerfed in terms of competence in order to build up Black Siren as a villain. (Presumably to appease the Katie Cassidy fans and the Laureliver shipping faction.)
Bottom Line
Ignoring Black Siren's sudden competence and how annoying a presence William is, this would be a solid episode. Unfortunately, since the main focus of the story is how dangerous Black Siren has suddenly become and how William has come to hate Oliver for no readily logical reason (apart from whatever trash-talking Samantha may have done about his dad when Ollie wasn't around) this means that most of the episode is focused on plot beats we don't care about while things involving major characters are afterthoughts.

The damnable thing is that the cast does a great job selling this despite the logic gaps (Quentin suddenly having an issue with fighting Black Siren, despite taking her down last season), the repetitiveness (Rene is fighting to get his daughter back... AGAIN!) and the just plain unexplained (Whatever is up with Diggle.) It's a shaky start but the last ten minutes is magic.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

‘Arrow’ 6×01 Review: ‘Fallout’
October 13, 2017 by ALYSSA BARBIERI
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-6x01-review-fallout/

... Arrow’s fifth season is one I’d like to bleach from my memory. While it had its moments, it never really managed to grasp onto something worth remembering, other than Josh Segarra’s memorable run as Adrian Chase. It was inconsistent and frustrating as it left some loyal viewers, who have grown to know, love, analyze, and truly understand this series and its characters (like myself), irate after feeling betrayed by inconsistent and out-of-character storytelling.
Regarding the season finale fallout, some questions were answered pretty quickly, like the fates of Diggle and Felicity (who obviously were never and will never be killed on this show). Some questions were answered a little later on, including Thea’s questionable fate and the mystery surrounding Quentin shooting Black Siren and leaving her for dead on Lian Yu.
It’s refreshing to start a new season feeling hopeful about what this season can be. I feel like a big part of that for me is the focus on family dynamics, including the future of Olicity, Oliver and William, Quentin and Black Siren, Rene and his daughter, and other relationships that really hit that heart element that have long defined Arrow as a success.

Because at the end of the day, it’s not the action sequences that bring us closer to the show. It’s the characters. It’s the moments that make this world feel so palpable. It’s the emotions that define us in life and we imitate in art.

I have to admit, I was impressed with Arrow’s season premiere. With that monster cliffhanger as Oliver’s vigilante lifestyle was exposed, it really feels like Arrow is making a promise to really go after it this season. They’re going for the deep ball on this one. Let’s just hope the quarterback and receiver are on the same page.
Oh, how I’ve missed my sweet babies. And, oh, how I will never cease to be surprised by just how much chemistry Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards have. Seriously, every moment is a moment. No matter how small. I love that so much. Damn, it’s good to have Olicity back.

I feel like we’re finally getting what we were robbed of between seasons 2 and 3, which is to really explore their relationship as they’re getting started. Or, in this case, started again.

Little things like Oliver inviting Felicity to dinner, Oliver and Felicity talking to each other, like Oliver opening up to Felicity about his parenting struggles and other struggles. That’s the kind of stuff that, as a fan, I want to see rather than hear about. It’ll make their inevitable reunion (wink) more satisfying because it’ll feel earned.

While Oliver and Felicity aren’t technically a “couple” right now, that’s because they both understand the importance of William’s introduction into Oliver’s life. It just seemed too soon to thrust that relationship onto William’s plate, given his mother’s death. But it was as clear as day that the love and respect and admiration for one another continues to thrive in all of its glory.

I feel like a big part of that was the rocky relationship between Oliver and William. How could Oliver, when he doesn’t feel he’s doing right by his son, introduce Felicity into his life? And the wonderful thing is that both Oliver and Felicity understand that. Which means that they had a discussion about it, which is what they didn’t do the last time this William thing reared its head. They both promised to work on communication and clearly that’s something that, while offscreen, has certainly developed once again.

We’re getting the cute flirty moments, we’re getting team members leaving the room to give Oliver and Felicity “a moment.” Everyone knows it’s just a matter of time. And, in the meantime, we’re just going to enjoy all of the amazing chemistry, flirting, and defining moments that have made Olicity what it is today. And what it will continue to be in the future.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Arrow ‘Fallout’ Reveals Everyone Who Survived Last Season’s Finale (Hint: It Was Everybody You Expected)
Craig Wack   October 13, 2017
http://oohlo.com/2017/10/13/arrow-fallout-reveals-everyone-who-survived-season-finale-hint-it-was-everybody-you-expected/ 

What hasn’t changed: Felicity and Oliver still want to take the good ship Olicity on a cruise to Bonetown, but life is getting in the way –- mainly because Ollie’s son is still adjusting to having a father and grieving the loss of his mother, so seeing his old man doing flirty things with another woman might not be the most beneficial thing for the boy’s well-being. ...
Was Laurel awful?: Black Siren might be a Laurel from an infinite timeline, but like all Ricks and Mortys, in any universe, Laurels are still Laurels. She survived the initial explosion and actually got the drop on Temporary Canary, before Lance shot her and left her for dead. She was rescued by a mystery benefactor with a black helicopter, and has arrived in Star City with a mad genius, a pack of highly trained mercenaries, and an evil use for Curtis’ T-Sphere technology. I will grant Arrow this, being a straight-up villain suits Katie Cassidy way better than whatever the hell nuanced character development they tried with Laurel v1.0. The crazy talk Lance was spouting about Black Siren being his “baby girl” and whatnot makes me concerned about a future Laurel redemption plot that no one has asked for.
Last impressions: Arrow painted itself into a bit of a corner at the end of last season, so getting out of that narrative predicament was going to either be lengthy or messy. Arrow chose the latter, which made for an at times jumbled season premiere, but should ultimately work to the show’s benefit by getting story up and running quicker.

Agents of GEEK Podcast Episode 90
10/13/2017  Craig Wack & Tatiana Torres
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- Tatiana liked 601 a lot and was "fully on board for 95% of it." However, Craig thought the premiere was "messy." They both were skeptical about the fact that there were bombs exploding all over the entire island, but only one person died and two people were injured. Tatiana thought they should've done it in two episodes and done more with the reveals of who survived. Instead, they quickly revealed a lot of people right away as surviving. But the good point is that it moved the premiere quickly along.

-- Tatiana expected the show to delay any Olicity until ep. 2 at the very earliest, but instead we got some Olicity in the very first episode, so she was like, "I am all aboard this train. If you're going to give me even a morsel, I will take it. I will take it. I see you, that you want to have dinner. Excellent. Good job, guys." 

-- Craig noted that the supporting team members are all suddenly very competent, even Curtis, and especially Dinah

-- Craig asked if this was like "the fourth time that Oliver's been revealed to be the Green Arrow." Tatiana said that maybe Roy would come back and say that he's still the GA, then take off again, like: "It's still me! Bye!"

-- Tatiana: "F**kin' Detective Lance, I love you so much. But it is a multiverse. That is not your daughter. Stop it." Craig said that what he liked about Laurel is that writing her as a "straight up villain fits Katie Cassidy's acting talents fairly well." Tatiana: "She is already way better at being bad than whatever the hell they were trying to do before." Craig's only concern is that they'll do a Black Siren redemption arc, saying: "Don't want, don't need, don't care to have... Just leave her evil and be done with that." Tatiana doesn't want it either. She thinks they'll have Lance fall for it a couple times, but that there won't be a redemption. 

-- Craig thought it was a "nice setup for the rest of the year," but agreed that they should've gone slower on revealing who lived and who died.

-- As for Thea being in a coma, Tatiana thought it worked better than having Thea having "weird excuses" for being gone. 

-- Tatiana wants William to be shipped off to Joe West "because emo kids live on The Flash." Joe will "dad him up and then send him on back to be a jolly child."

10-13-quote1.gif 
10-13-quote2.gif

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I'd like to blame the terrible scene transitions and editing on Bamford, but this show has already had problems letting scenes sit and breathe. 

Anyone know who's responsible for the editing - CBS, Berlanti Prods, CW, other? 

The director is responsible for at least the rough cut of the episode, though executive producers have some input and the studio gives notes before the final cut.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Trisha said:

This is great! (SA commented "Huh" on it)

Oh my God. That right there is my favorite Arrow fanvid ever. It's got so, so many great parts,  I can't even begin to count them all. Probably will try in the morning though. :)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I'd like to blame the terrible scene transitions and editing on Bamford, but this show has already had problems letting scenes sit and breathe. 

Anyone know who's responsible for the editing - CBS, Berlanti Prods, CW, other? 

Berlanti Prods does an initial network cut (occasionally without final sound effects/CGI), which is sent out to the WB, CW, CBS and the affiliates, as well as some of the talent and their managers. (Amell and Ramsey have both mentioned seeing the network cuts.)  Those groups can/do send feedback, and then a final cut is made.

That fan vid is brilliant :)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

SARA anchors the Legends, you sexist asshat.

ETA: the blogger not @tv echo.

I think stuff like this stings sometimes more, because it just unthinking, casual sexism. It wasnt that nasty, reddit stuff that is just out right misogyny, its just that he genuinely didnt even see or count Sara, because she doesnt have a dick. Its just so ingrained in some people (and society) that it is just how people act naturally.

• Love 3

I still have trouble downloading jbuffyangel's tumblr page, so here is her tweeted link to her 601 review...

And here's Just About Write's review...
Arrow 6x01 Review: "Fallout" (Moving Forward)
http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2017/10/arrow-6x01-review-fallout-moving-forward.html

I always thought that the role of Felicity as a mother was an interesting one to ponder. It’s not that she isn’t maternal — I think she would do a fantastic job raising a baby. But early on in our fourth season, we got the chance to see how nervous the idea of settling down made Felicity. And my argument then was in favor of this response. I still stand by that. It’s canon that there’s some sort of age gap between Felicity and Oliver, so it makes sense that Felicity got spooked at the idea of having babies. She was young and the thought of raising human life — even with someone she loved — gave her pause. Now, Felicity is a few years older and wiser, but the idea of taking the next step with Oliver still makes her a bit cautious. He’s ready for it, but she’s a bit more reserved. Why?

To understand that, we have to understand how Felicity processes information. She’s a planner and thinks through, logically, the outcomes of situations. She has to, because if she doesn’t, people die in the field. Yet she’s quick to think on her feet and able to come up with responses and solutions to problems when prompted. But when it comes to matters of the heart or emotional things, she’s a bit more reserved and cautious. It’s because of her background and experiences. Felicity, just like Oliver, has walls. She loves her mother (as do we, most likely), but while Donna did her best to raise Felicity, it was still a broken home. And Felicity still has emotional baggage because of the way she grew up. Baggage isn’t bad because all of us have it. But it does make us pause, sometimes, and take stock of our situations before proceeding.

It’s my own personal theory, so take it or leave it, but I think Felicity is worried she won’t know how to be the kind of parent that raises emotionally healthy kids in an emotionally healthy home. She and Oliver didn’t have those kind of homes growing up, and they both admire aspects of the way their respective families raised them, sure. But they both really want to make a life that is different for their future children. So when Felicity thinks of a family, she thinks of the brokenness that plagued her, growing up, but also dares to hope for the potential that someday — with Oliver — things could be different.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Season 6 premiere recap: The one with daddy issues
13th October 2017 by Luciana Mangas
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/arrow-season-6-premiere-recap-the-one-with-daddy-issues/

Whew! I have to say, Arrow fans, this was an intense premiere. After a subpar Season 5, the CW hit show returned tonight firing on all cylinders in an explosive opening. I’ll be honest and say that I nearly jumped ship last Season, but it was that amazing Season 5 finale that pulled me right back in.
Black Siren seems to be the gift that keeps on giving. She also did not perish on the island, as Lance and Dinah had led the team to believe — and it looks like she is going to be the villainous pain in the ass of the season.

That said, I have to say that Katie Cassidy is so much better as a villain than she ever was as goody two shoes Laurel Lance. Honestly, she should have been evil from the start, and that would have saved us a lot of time and energy.

The fight sequences between Black Siren and Black Canary were absolutely fantastic, even though when they started those ridiculous shouting matches (or canary cries, whatever), I was rolling my eyes so hard, because it just looks stupid. That said, both Katie Cassidy and Juliana Harkavy were amazing in those stunts and I enjoyed every second of it.
Let me tell you something, this was probably what I was most excited about for this season. The fact that William now lives with Oliver opens up so many possibilities for his character, and I can only see a fantastic potential here. Even though I hated William’s introduction in season 4, I am definitely looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table.
Oh yeah, we all know we were just really, really, really excited to see how this was going to play out. After all, TPTB have made us suffer watching our babies Oliver and Felicity be miserable while they were apart for a season and a half now. However, things took a turn for the better in the last couple of episodes last season, as they both finally talked and decided that they were open to give their relationship another go.
Olicity is alive and well, my fellow shippers. We can all breath easy again.

While it was not clear whether they are in a relationship again or not — that adorably awkward Felicity babbling did not give us many answers — I think it’s safe to assume that if they’re not, then they are well on their way to getting back together again officially.

Spoiler

And if the spoilers that have been floating around this entire past week are anything to go by, I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet that Olicity will get their happy ending much sooner than we expected.

– “I’m not taking refuge from a hundred bombs without you”. That line from Dig obliterated my heart and resurrected my love for this amazing friendship. Here’s to a lot more Delicity moments this season.

– What’s up with Diggle and Dinah? Was I the only one who noticed those little moments between them? Whatever that was, stop now. Or so help me God, John Diggle, I’ll send Lyla and Felicity to kick your ass.

– And as a final thought, I just wanted to put it out there that Felicity’s wardrobe was stellar in this episode. Absolutely on point..

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Wild Dog Co-Creator Not Happy With New Costume On Arrow
Posted by Dan Wickline October 15, 2017
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/15/wild-dog-co-creator-not-happy-with-new-costume-on-arrow/

I liked the new design. Though it kept some of the elements from the original while bringing him more in-line with the series. Turns out not everyone was happy with it. Wild Dog co-creator [Terry Beatty] took to Facebook yesterday to comment on the new design.

THIS, ladies and gentlemen is what the powers that be at the ARROW TV show have decided is Wild Dog’s new “improved” look. Yup — THIS is Wild Dog. Since the costume and name were all that survived from the comic book to begin with, this is now literally Wild Dog in name only. This change erases any trace of the original Collins/Beatty concept for the character. I would not be surprised if his name gets changed before too long, as well.

Whatever was unique about his “street level” costume has been replaced with the current standard issue dark armored uniform — a generic “third Imperial Guard from the left/Death-Blood-Stroke-Stryke/Image big gun” look. Sigh….

Oh well, I got a year’s worth of seeing how cool my costume design looked on screen — a validation of my work in a lot of ways. I suppose it was too much to expect it would last.

I will tip my hat to Rick Gonzalez, who I feel has done a fine job in the role and has a strong screen presence. I wish him luck in going forward with this and whatever else he does down the line.

I feel for Terry. It has to be tough to see something you created get changed to the point you almost don’t recognize it. But changing character designs from the printed page to the screen has been happening a long time. The X-Men have never even been close to their comic designs and the Netflix Daredevil costume is cool, but it’s not the costume form the comics. Wild Dog was the most comic accurate costume I’d seen in a long time and like he said, he got to see that for a year.

Edited by tv echo

Characters like X-Men change their costumes like twice a year though lol. You can also look at DDs costume and know it's DD. Wild Dog looks nothing like his costume or an updated version of his costume like some characters.

I still need to see the new one in the light and in HQ before making any real judgements but I feel like they could've given him something that still gives you Wild Dog feels.

The sucky thing for creators is that their characters get changed so much so the industry can get around paying royalties to the creators (Killer Frost) so I wonder if this is something similar. 

Spoilertv's Scene-of-the-week-october-15-2017

ARROW, "Fallout", October 12, 2017, Actors: Katie Cassidy, Paul Blackthorne, The Scene: Black Siren and Quentin meet in the alley
Samantha: I never thought there'd be a day where I'd be picking Arrow since I very much dislike the show, but when you have Katie Cassidy on screen, you have magic! And when you have two seasoned actors on screen, you have a storyline, that could've potentially been dull in other hands, actually gripping you. There have been many times over the years I have disliked both Quentin's attitude and treatment of Laurel, and this scene hasn't changed that but bringing Katie back as the Black Siren has furthered their relationship. Despite how evil she is, Quentin will always look at Black Siren as being his little girl. Completely understandable and he's always going to struggle with having to fight her. Black Siren knows this and uses it to her advantage. His pain as Black Siren taunted him over what happened on the island, assuring him she understood his decision & then saying she would've done the exact same thing in his position? Stone cold and brutal because she just didn't give a damn.
Marko: The chemistry between Katie and Paul was always spot-on. They executed this scene so well. Paul's pain being crushed by Katie's overconfidence played great of each other.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/10/scene-of-week-october-15-2017-poll.html

What’s up with Diggle and Dinah? Was I the only one who noticed those little moments between them? Whatever that was, stop now. Or so help me God, John Diggle, I’ll send Lyla and Felicity to kick your ass.

I find it amusing (at this stage at least) how it seems everyone sees the thing between Dinah and Diggle and pretty much everyone is all "Hell, no!  Stop that!"   We got your back Lyla!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

I watched the recap rap again and it takes a lot of restraint not to simply transcribe the whole thing because it's a masterpiece throughout, right down to the obsession with that Canadian prince named Steve with eyes blue like the waters where the dolphins cry,  that fill up my soul, that pierce through my TV. Whispering 'lucky girl' as Felicity and Oliver are kissing in Ivy Town nearly had me choking with laughter. But some highlights, 

• the intro

DC need a show way more hardcore

make Smallville look like Cupcake Wars

couldn't get the right to the Dark Knight

settled for white bred Hawkeye

check off his list like he Arya Stark

gotta keep it tight, crossfit all night

tennis balls, archery, I get it, he's white

• the Canaries

but his best friendship has been abandoned, cause he went drivin' up Laurel's canyon

mystery blonde disrupts the plans, but it's long lost ex, gotta give her the lance

once the Canary croaks, though, he's on the Felicity Smoak show

sad when Canary 2 sings her last song

Canary's there, am I watching this on rewind?

• Queen habit of chosing very bad, no good sex partners

Momma Q undo her zipper

For Eminem who gets the whole hood  to quiver

• Felicity

and running the lab, it's She's all that

if you want more Smoak, you're gonna need some wood

Slade, completely missed that Deadpool mixed with Debbie Downer part the first time around

Enter Slade, an assassin with the power

Or Deadpool mixed with Debbie Downer

No discretion, no depth perception

Murders Momma Q with his second weapon

• Love 6

Star City on 'Arrow' Is Probably Not Where You Think It Is
by Nicole Drum | October 16, 2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/10/17/arrow-where-is-star-city-located/

Simply by following a combination of comic book history and various clues on Arrow, the most likely location for Star City is probably somewhere between Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington. It would give the city a location in keeping with Green Arrow's print history while also fitting in with the multiple West Coast clues provided in the series.
Placing Star City on the West Coast does require a little bit of suspension of disbelief when it comes to the distance between Central City and Star City, but the Flash is a speedster after all, and we've seen him pull of some amazing feats of transport -- not to mention that this season Barry is even faster than ever. Location compared to Central City aside, putting Star City on the West Coast just makes sense.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow’s premiere confirmed why it is number one in the Arrowverse
Jason Hall  Oct. 17, 2017
https://hiddenremote.com/2017/10/17/arrows-premiere-confirmed-number-one-arrowverse/

With its sixth season premiere, Arrow has reaffirmed that it is still the strongest series in the Arrowverse.
I know the Legends of Tomorrow broke time last season, but honestly they kind of do that all the time. Supergirl got a bit of a fresh start from the dire consequences of last season and The Flash premiere was really just about bringing Barry back as smoothly as possible.
It is called the Arrowverse for a reason. Not only because Arrow kicked off all of these super-heroics on the CW, but because the overall quality of Arrow as a series has maintained a pretty strong track record. There have been bumps along the way and some creative choices weren’t everyone’s favorite. In the end, this series endures because it is the most grounded in reality. I know that might sound odd when talking about a show that has featured characters like Ragman and Damien Darkh, but in comparison to the other CW superheroes Arrow is the most realistic. At the end of the day, Oliver Queen is still just a guy with a fancy bow and some arrows. Oliver will never run so fast that he goes back in time to stop his mother’s murder. He will never go toe-to-toe with Superman and he will most likely never meet dinosaurs.
The anticipation for the sixth season premiere ramped up because Arrow faces consequences unlike other series. I know that they resurrected characters like Sara Lance and brought Thea back from the edge of death, but his parents, his best friend Tommy, his world’s version of Laurel Lance, and the mother of his child have now all died for good. It is a comic book show and it will always push the realm of believability, however having a grounded hero makes this series more interesting. You know going in that most episodes of the Flash are going to end with him solving this week’s problem by running really fast. The people behind Arrow are forced to be a bit more creative.

Some fans might have been let down by the relatively small body count from the fallout of last season’s finale, but what they did might actually work out better. I’d compare it to the premiere of The Flash where lots of problems were solved pretty easily. In the premiere of Arrow, we see that no one has recovered from that day on the island and they still aren’t at the end of the episode. Diggle is shaken by his injuries there, Thea remains in a coma, Wild Dog lost a chance to be with his daughter, Deputy Mayor Lance is dealing with what he did to protect his friends, and Oliver is not knocking this father thing out of the park.
Something that I have enjoyed about Arrow over the years is the fact that the series has shown growth not only as a show, but also of the characters. Even when Oliver got back from the island in season one he was still another version of that arrogant young man who didn’t know how to take responsibility for his actions. Today, he has grown into a hero that everyone looks up to. The Green Arrow is always the man with the plan. The other heroes of the CW Arrowverse look up to him and he was a de-facto leader when they had that first big crossover. The Flash pretty much nailed their first season and have been trying to recapture that magic ever since while Arrow continues to grow, change and try new things.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Do tell - seriously, this is a very in-depth, detailed interview with James Bamford (it's also very long and I could only quote portions, so you may wish to read the entire article)...

Arrow: James Bamford on how stunt work prepared him for directing
by Amy Woolsey  Oct. 18, 2017
https://culturess.com/2017/10/18/arrow-james-bamford-stunt-work-prepared-directing/

During the lead-up to season 6, we corresponded with Bamford, who is currently shooting this year’s epic Berlanti-verse crossover. He discussed his career, the logistics of setting up an action scene, and the relationship between real and fictional violence. (This interview has been edited for clarity and length.)
How did you get into stunt work professionally? What kind of training and qualifications did it require?
I started training in martial arts at a very early age, and the martial arts… got me in the door of becoming a full-fledged stuntman. After I was initially hired as a fight double/choreographer for Michael Dudikoff, I was taken under the wing by many a talented and experienced stunt performer and taught the ropes — high falls, fire, driving, all the skills necessary to becoming a utility working stuntman. As I had been an actor early in life in community theatre, this added to my skills, as performance ability is also necessary to complete your platform in stunts. Acting is a big part of stunt doubling, or any stunt role.

After beginning as a performer, it was clear to me that one must study the camera and those controlling [it] on set to fully understand what being a solid stunt professional is about. It’s what being a solid filmmaker is about. The camera is the key. If you don’t understand it, you don’t understand the process. In my over 70,000 hours on film sets, I’ve studied under not only some world class stunt coordinators, but cinematographers, directors, and producers. If you didn’t learn something in all that time and experience on a film set, you simply weren’t paying attention. I paid attention. The information and experience I’ve gained is invaluable and not taught in any theory at any school. It’s been used and tested right in front of my eyes – proven methods, proven techniques.
What is the process of designing action sequences like? For example, how detailed are the scripts in regards to action? Do you tailor the action to the editing and cinematography, or is it the other way around?
First step in designing any action sequence is to read the script and attend meetings with the director, writers, stunt department, art department, VFX, SPFX departments. Discuss what the director’s [and] producers’ visions are. Brainstorm ideas, come to an agreement on those ideas. All involved leave and begin physically preparing the concept that was discussed in the previous prep meetings and engage in several other mini-meetings along the way to solidify and expand the first discussion’s ideas.

Sometimes the scripts’ description of the action is very detailed, and the end result is identical to it. [Like] The Matrix. Take a read of that script and compare to the screen’s final product; those folks knew exactly what they wanted from day 1. On Arrow, the writers are quite open to collaboration on ideas to elevate, expand, improve the action in any way and trust that the stunt department has the experience and creativity to help in that manner.

A stunt coordinator must understand the camera and its process. If a sequence isn’t shot [or] edited correctly, it loses all of its intent in design, all of its impact. Even if a sequence is shot in an amazingly epic visual fashion, it can still be completely destroyed in the editing room by an inexperienced editor who isn’t comfortable with action. Editing action is a skill in itself… and unfortunately it’s not a skill that everyone possesses out there in film land. Quite often on an action savvy show, the action designer is very involved in the editing process at the request of the director, to his/her benefit. Not having an understanding of the flow, or techniques involved in the sequence can turn a beautifully crafted sequence into a chopped up bag of banjo chips.
How often do the actors on Arrow perform their own stunts? I know Stephen Amell does many of them, but what about the others? Do you think it’s good for actors to do stunts themselves? Or do you think it does a disservice to professional stuntmen/women?
I incorporate an actor into a stunt sequence based on their natural ability and time they devote into training/rehearsal. It’s simply much like a baseball team: if you don’t come to practice, you end up on the bench. We can’t afford the safety concerns with a performer/actor who’s… not prepared 100%. Stephen Amell is an athletic phenomenon. Aside from attending many weeks of training with myself at the beginning of the pilot for Arrow, he has a natural disposition for picking up, remembering choreography. He can learn a short fight in 5-10 minutes and perform it safely with intensity. I welcome actors who add to the quality of the process, as Stephen does. We consider him captain of the Arrow stunt team.
During Arrow‘s fourth season, you started to direct. How did you make the transition? How did your background in stunts prepare you for directing?
As I mentioned, I’ve been studying since I began working in the film industry in 1991. Studying the stunt performers, stunt coordinators, actors, and studying the directors. I can’t count how many directors I’ve worked beside over those years, but I’ve tried to take some piece of advice or learn something from each one. The amount of experience and talent I’ve been exposed to from others is staggering….

I’ve directed many splinter and 2nd units over the years, and Arrow seemed like the right vehicle to jump into directing a full episode. I know the characters and the content as well as I know myself. It was a natural progression. Many, many stunt coordinators make the leap to second unit director — not many to main unit director, though. Fortunately, films like John Wick and Atomic Blonde were directed by stunt coordinators-turned-directors and have opened the door for more people such as myself to make the progression.

In this case, [producers] Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Andrew Kreisberg gave me their faith and allowed me the opportunity to show them what I had to offer. They loved my first attempt, as did the studio, so they asked me to do another, then another, etc. and here we are. I trained my assistant, Curtis Braconnier, who is a very talented young man, to take over my position as stunt/fight coordinator so the show would be looked after by him as it had by me in the past. Together, with him and Eli Zagoudakis, the stunt team is flourishing.
Similarly, the cinematography has a fluidity that contrasts from the use of close-ups and rapid editing that’s so common in action filmmaking nowadays. Is it an active decision to deviate from the norm? How do you figure out a style that works for you?
If I have a personal “style”, it’s “flow”. I want the episode to flow from scene to scene seamlessly, and within a scene the editing shouldn’t be noticeable or shocking to the eye, unless it’s called for by the nature of the content. I want the visuals to breath and cut down on the claustrophobic feel that television sometimes has. The use of wide shots and quite often longer takes… is my way of forcing the audience into our environment. Cutting to close ups immediately takes the ride [in] a different direction and, in my opinion, is a very antiquated… style.
Lastly, on a different note, I’m sure you know about the recent deadly shooting in Las Vegas. In light of what’s going on in the real world, do you have concerns about the effects of onscreen violence? What steps can filmmakers take to avoid glorifying violence?
At its core, [Arrow is] a crime-fighting drama with a flair for the romantic and comic book visuals. With the lack of meta-humans to battle, our heroes [and] villains quite often carry firearms, with the exception of the League of Assassins who were more traditionally dated with swords, arrows, knives. Our lead character carries a projectile weapon as his tool of choice. We have other characters who are also armed within our mythology. To suddenly strip the characters of all these tools would not make sense…

Our heroes [must] overcome some form of jeopardy to appear heroic. The levels of jeopardy must rise each season with new stakes at hand, or our characters remain where they were the previous season. We’ve established a visual level of action on our show that the audience has come to expect and enjoy. We have fans who watch the show purely for the action, for the relationships, for the romance, for the abs… In the end, it’s a television show, and it’s meant to be enjoyed.

I’ve been watching television and films since I was born. I’ve always appreciated a well-crafted action sequence, no matter what the genre. If firearms make sense within the context of telling the story, then they belong in the story. There are different levels of graphic visuals allotted for different time slots or theatrical ratings. Parents should be monitoring what is acceptable for their children to view at all times. Children, teenagers, and adults should be taught the ability to discern between a television show and real life, between dramatic visuals, and their environment around them.

Should a TV show/film be aware and sensitive to what is displayed on the screen? Of course. Being socially responsible is important. Being actively creative and having the ability to tell a story in the manner the creator of the story intended is also important. Being aware of the issues within the community is very important to [telling] stories from a place of educated outlook. If the storyteller determines the story requires any given element to further tell the story, that’s the storyteller’s prerogative. Without creative freedom, every show would be an assembly line-produced batch of generic, wishy-washy content without heart.

I’m not a political activist in any way, shape, or form. I do have my own personal opinions on the world, however, outside of my job. I am a father, a husband, a friend, and a human being… What has occurred in Las Vegas and many cities… is horrible and needs to be addressed politically within communities.

I’ve never owned a gun nor felt the need to, although I have many mature, responsible friends who do. If I did feel the need to purchase and keep a firearm, I would expect an extensive screening process… If certain criteria aren’t met, then, no firearms should be distributed, period. Although every human on this planet has rights, they don’t have the right to shoot and murder innocent people.

Edited by tv echo

After beginning as a performer, it was clear to me that one must study the camera and those controlling [it] on set to fully understand what being a solid stunt professional is about. It’s what being a solid filmmaker is about. The camera is the key. If you don’t understand it, you don’t understand the process. 

(chin in hands)

Do tell, Bamford. Seriously, do tell. 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, quarks said:

(chin in hands)

Do tell, Bamford. Seriously, do tell. 

I think he started understanding the camera during an earthquake or on a cruise in an especially choppy body of water. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 21