Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Last impressions: Despite the reduced action, this was still an entertaining episode

How was there reduced action in that episode?  

10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Pining? Pining? Felicity never pined she moved on.

I had a long back and forth about this once on Reddit and the long and short of it is if she had feelings, they count it as pining even if she wasn't acting on them or had any expectations, even if she was taking steps to move on, even if she laid down the law about not waiting around from him, even if she was dating someone else.  As long as she cared and deep in her heart wished they could have been together, they count it as pining.  Oh and they both judge her for "pining" AND for not just waiting around for Oliver to change his mind, lol. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

I can accept that this universe contains a man who can run faster than the speed of sound and a psychic gorilla, but I draw the line at hackers so superhumanly talented they can literally accomplish anything after banging away at a keyboard for 10 seconds. Also, did you know the entire Internet is located in a single American vault that only three random, unprotected secret agents have access to? That’s news to me. It’s tough to become very invested in these sorts of conflicts when they’re just so silly and implausible.

Maybe it's just me but this reeks of prejudice.  Super hackers are "silly and implausible" but a man who can run faster than the speed of sound and a gigantic psychic gorilla, no problem.

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Natalie commented that when Cayden James spoke fondly of Felicity, Black Siren looked "jealous." So Natalie wondered if Black Siren thinks of Cayden almost like a father figure and therefore resented the "sister figure" in Felicity.

Hasn't Black Siren known Cayden James for all of three minutes? Even if he did sve her life that's awfully quick bonding, especially when Quentin is there looking exactly like her Earth 2 father (I presume).

ETA:

Oh and they both judge her for "pining" AND for not just waiting around for Oliver to change his mind, lol.

If anyone was pining in seasons 3, 4B and 5, I'd say it was Oliver.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

-- Natalie commented that when Cayden James spoke fondly of Felicity, Black Siren looked "jealous." So Natalie wondered if Black Siren thinks of Cayden almost like a father figure and therefore resented the "sister figure" in Felicity.

I paid attention to this scene (I'm assuming it was when they were in the server room and CJ complimented Felicity's ingenuity?) because I saw someone on twitter mention it too. KC's face stayed blank the whole time CJ was talking to BS, so I don't know what was construed as "looking jealous"

• Love 5

Freud said that the therapist must be a blank slate so that the patient can project her or his deepest feelings on to it.  I guess jealousy for Daddy's love is Natalie's script for Laurel II in her head.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I paid attention to this scene (I'm assuming it was when they were in the server room and CJ complimented Felicity's ingenuity?) because I saw someone on twitter mention it too. KC's face stayed blank the whole time CJ was talking to BS, so I don't know what was construed as "looking jealous"

When I saw a gif of the scene I saw the shifty eye thing she does but when I saw the scene I didn't get any emotion out of it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

I'll be honest.  I did get that feeling when I watched. 

Maybe less that she wanted his praise for herself (though at the airport she seemed to feel she hadn't earned the gift James gave her) but that she didn't like at all that Felicity was getting his praise or respect.  So maybe it was just displeasure that someone she hated was sort of liked by her "partner".  

Felicity pines or Felicity feels insecure about Laurel is a favourite narrative amongst people it seems! Even fans! 

Imo Canon Felicity enjoyed a good perve in the earlier seasons and then tried to move in with her life in S3 even though she loved Oliver. 

The only time I felt she was insecure was in 214 but then she seemed to be trying to box it up. And she never blinked about Laurel! 

1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'll be honest.  I did get that feeling when I watched. 

Maybe less that she wanted his praise for herself (though at the airport she seemed to feel she hadn't earned the gift James gave her) but that she didn't like at all that Felicity was getting his praise or respect.  So maybe it was just displeasure that someone she hated was sort of liked by her "partner".  

I'm telling ya, E2Felicity ran off with her man! 

• Love 7

Eh, I understand the insecurity read in early seasons.  "Gorgeous Laurel" in their first scene.  Some of her comments about McKenna.  She didn't see herself as Oliver's type for a while.  But maybe this conversation should move to Relationships.

10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Imo Canon Felicity enjoyed a good perve in the earlier seasons and then tried to move in with her life in S3 even though she loved Oliver. 

I was just about the say the same thing. The quirky thing Felicity has done there was shamelessly ogling Oliver in various states of undress. And let's get real, that's not pining, it's just common sense.

12 hours ago, lemotomato said:

Well, I mean, she did actually look at him during that comment, unlike moments earlier when she totally zoned out and was staring into the middle distance. Good thing she was out of focus, so it was (marginally) less noticeable.

• Love 1

You know what I'm really sick of people labelling shipping like it is a dirty thing. It is a hobby. A perfectly harmless hobby that does not hurt anyone and I will not stand for people insulting my right to pursue a hobby.

I used to be really shy about writing fanfic and stuff but now I openly admit that it's my hobby and yes I would love for a fictional couple to get married and have tots and if you have a problem with that and try to insult me  I will rain hell down on you and give you a lambasting (erm not on this forum obviously because I'm a good munchkin). 

haha sorry this isn't directed at anyone in general! I am just SUPER annoyed at the whole "oh but you're just a shipper" argument used to invalidate opinions or shipping as a hobby. So what if I am a shipper??????

*runs off to try and update fanfic after procrastinating for hours already*

Edited by Mellowyellow
more procrastinating!!!!
  • Love 19
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Maybe it's just me but this reeks of prejudice.  Super hackers are "silly and implausible" but a man who can run faster than the speed of sound and a gigantic psychic gorilla, no problem.

I agree. Even if we remove all the fantastical elements (metahumans, psychic gorillas, time travel), there's still a lot to accept in the Arrowverse. If you can accept that Oliver has expert archery skills that defy reality and the laws of physics, and if you can accept that Curtis and Cisco can come up with instant tech inventions that also defy reality, then you should be able to accept that Felicity has expert computer hacking skills that defy reality. 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, tv echo said:

you can accept that Curtis and Cisco can come up with instant tech inventions that also defy reality, then you should be able to accept that Felicity has expert computer hacking skills that defy reality. 

Truth to be told, I think it is just a way to hate on her. People are so butthurt about her role that she could probably cure cancer and they'd still say 'this isn't realistic, I like my superhero shows to be realistic. Look at BC/BS (whoever), she is such a good fighter and has such a good scream. If there is nothing to hate on, you find something. I truly do believe it is the annoyance/anger that she is not Black Canary or Laurel Lance aka Green Arrow's partner. So whatever she does, no matter how likeable she is or  realistic her actions are, she isn't LL and therefore some are never going to be on her side. 

• Love 5

Arrow Season 6 Episode 4 Review – ‘Reversal’
NOVEMBER 4, 2017 BY JESSIE ROBERTSON 
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/11/arrow-season-6-episode-4-review-reversal/

Ollicity, to some, was deemed DOA and a complete disaster; it was something everyone was begging for (ok, the root CW audience) but once they got it, they hated it and it was always a storyline looking to end the relationship. Even Felicity was hated upon since then. Now, it feels the time is right and the writers are getting it right. In the history of Arrow, everything, literally EVERYTHING has happened; there’s no foe or fear they haven’t faced and with Oliver setting his life into the driver’s seat, instead of his (vigilante) career, it’s the perfect time for Felicity to come back in (and let’s face it: Ollie ain’t raising young William on his own!)
Turns out James is played by the wonderfully and deliciously evil Michael Emerson! (Lost fans unite!) He’s got a band of bad-a mercenaries and Black Siren on his payroll and he already seems to be smarter than everyone in the room. Some scenes tonight felt extremely cinematic, esp. with him on-screen. When they broke into the “internet room” for lack of better terms, with that sterile white hallway and his payoff scene of Siren in the air hangar, both had a different look to them and thought they give the show some importance.
Felicity was front and center this episode, hacking, quipping, quipping under her breath, quipping to villains, all her best moments and I’m sorry, the writers do a fantastic job of her feature episodes. Her relationship with Alena, her handling of Oliver (both metaphorically and physically – I mean those are two dynamite looking people!), everything she does in the Arrow realm, she handles it so masterfully and I thought tonight’s episode was another step in the same great direction this show has been headed in for quite some time.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

'Arrow': 6 Times Oliver Supported Felicity in 'Reversal' 
November 03, 2017   Meredith Jacobs
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/arrow-6-times-oliver-supported-66648.aspx

Oliver Was "Excited" About the Start-up
"Wherever You're Going, I'm Going Too"
Oliver Still Acted as Her Backup, Even Though She Was Trying to Protect Him
Oliver Was There for Felicity Just Like She's Been There for Him in the Past
Oliver Told Felicity He Was "Incredibly Proud"
Oliver Was in Felicity's Ear for Her Like She'd Been for Him

• Love 1

Agents of GEEK Podcast Episode 93
11/04/2017   Craig Wack & Tatiana Torres
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- Arrow 604: Craig noted this episode was very much a "Felicity lovers delight" and "Olicity lovers delight," and thought it was a fun episode. Tatiana thought it was a great episode. She noted that Arrow has been a "very broody show," but this season, with Oliver stepping to the side, it was fun to see him taking on others' roles (Diggle, Felicity). A lot of what Oliver said to Felicity in this episode were things that Felicity has said to Oliver in the past. Tatiana thought that this episode just enforced that you can't break them up at this point. She also thought that what's been happening with them seems "very organic" and "it didn't seem like, 'oh, we're just putting them back together so you people will shut up'." Craig noted that Oliver and Felicity weren't giving up who they were "at their core." He said that a "major complaint" the first time they were together was that Felicity became "this basket case that worried about him all the time." Now, they're each doing their own thing and looking out for each other. Craig: "They are much more of a team together now, than they were as a couple the first time around." 

-- Tatiana thought that Michael Emerson was "perfect casting" and that he's the "most realistic villain since Deathstroke." Craig liked how Black Siren was made to do all of Cayden James' dirty work.

-- They made fun of how the entire internet was kept in one room.

-- Craig said that some people didn't think a lot happened in this episode, but he disagreed. He thought a lot happened.

-- Tatiana wondered why Oliver didn't check in on Thea, when Felicity was visiting Alena at the hospital.

-- They wondered if SA was injured and that's why Oliver's being kept on the sidelines for now.

-- Craig thought it was "a pretty decent episode of Arrow" and moved the show along and "alluded to great things to come."

Edited by tv echo

^^^ That threw me off too. I think Craig was maybe confusing moments from different Arrow seasons, like S3 when Oliver went off to fight Ra's and didn't return right away.

Edited by tv echo
21 hours ago, tv echo said:

'Arrow': 6 Times Oliver Supported Felicity in 'Reversal' 
November 03, 2017   Meredith Jacobs
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/arrow/arrow-6-times-oliver-supported-66648.aspx

Oliver Was "Excited" About the Start-up
"Wherever You're Going, I'm Going Too"
Oliver Still Acted as Her Backup, Even Though She Was Trying to Protect Him
Oliver Was There for Felicity Just Like She's Been There for Him in the Past
Oliver Told Felicity He Was "Incredibly Proud"
Oliver Was in Felicity's Ear for Her Like She'd Been for Him

This exact same article was posted at Gears of Biz under a different author name...

‘Arrow’: 6 Times Oliver Supported Felicity in ‘Reversal’  
BY DANIELA BLOT   5 NOVEMBER 2017
http://gearsofbiz.com/arrow-6-times-oliver-supported-felicity-in-reversal/174189

Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’ Recap: Felicity Suffers the Consequences of Her Time at Helix 
BY DANIELA BLOT   5 NOVEMBER 2017
http://gearsofbiz.com/arrow-recap-felicity-suffers-the-consequences-of-her-time-at-helix/174970

In “Next of Kin” Arrow managed to balance Oliver’s completely vigilante-free storyline with all the conflict going on with Team Arrow. In this episode, entitled “Reversal,” Oliver might as well not be even be a character on the show anymore. Oliver’s still around, but despite giving pep talks he’s very much regulated to the background. Instead, the B Team (which are now more like the A Team) take center stage. While it definitely feels different, that uniqueness, like most of Arrow season 6 thus far, is to the episode’s benefit.
Felicity and the team end up reaching the database for all the internet, while Oliver offers support over Felicity’s headset. The episode’s namesake is, in fact, very literal and refers to Felicity and Oliver switching roles. Felicity is the field agent and Oliver is the moral support. While it’s not something the show can keep for long, it’s pretty fun and effective for this single episode. Once again, Arrow gets to show off the more mature and measured side of Oliver as he coaches a frazzled Felicity to victory as she shuts down Cayden’s plan … kind of. At least, Felicity thinks she has succeeded. 
Prometheus set a very high bar in the villain department. Yet, even though he’s a very different character and won’t be the only baddie this season, Michael Emerson’s Cayden James is already making an impressive play for that Arrow villain crown.

Edited by tv echo

Why Season 6 Is the Most Green Arrow Season of 'Arrow' Yet
by Nicole Drum | November 4, 2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/11/04/arrow-season-6-most-like-comic-book-green-arrow/

Since its debut in 2012, The CW's Arrow has been a hit with fans, but has also faced criticism that the show is more of a Batman story than one about the Emerald Archer. It's not a completely baseless critique, with Arrow leaning heavily on Batman's comic book mythos for stories, tone, and even villains.

However, Arrow appears to be moving away from those Batman roots and moving on. Ra's al Ghul is no more, the League of Assassins is nowhere to be seen, and it's starting to look like Oliver (Stephen Amell) may have left a lot of his brooding on Lian Yu despite Prometheus' attempt to destroy him. In fact, as Arrow hits its stride in the superhero show's sixth season things are shaping up to be more like the Green Arrow comics than ever before.

More political and social justice themes on 'Arrow'
Oliver Queen narrows his focus.
The increased influence of fatherhood

Edited by tv echo

Huh?...

Arrow season 6, episode 4 review: Reversal
by Andre Farquharson   Nov. 5, 2017
https://bamsmackpow.com/2017/11/05/arrow-season-6-episode-4-review-reversal/

This is by far has been the tightest paced episode of season six of Arrow (at least for the first half) thus far. ‘Reversal’ has a lot to do with the roles of the cast each are comfortable in and how they are flipped as though a ball has struck a bowling pin in their lives. It is also part of the mystery of serial killings in what has been led to have been nobodies murdered for a senseless crime – only for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
The direction of this episode was at its core a set up for something bigger that will lie ahead and the suspense and foreboding at the start really captures you.
Some of the camera-angles at times did not cut well in between shots and in time with the choreography of some fight scenes. The movement of the camera during the melee was too quick and choppy.

Those who are not a fan of the Olicity pairing maybe in luck this time around; however, all signs could point to it intertwining with the sub-plot involving William.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Tatiana thought that Michael Emerson was "perfect casting" and that he's the "most realistic villain since Deathstroke."

? (he went crazy from super serum and partnered with a hallucination but ok...) I actually think she meant "believable" not "realistic". 

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Those who are not a fan of the Olicity pairing maybe in luck this time around; however, all signs could point to it intertwining with the sub-plot involving William.

Perhaps they mean due to the absence of the dreaded drama? What tipped you off dude, Felicity's scenes with William? 

• Love 2

‘Arrow’ Season 6, Episode 4 Review: Reversal 
Tommy Sanderson    6 November 2017
http://us.blastingnews.com/opinion/2017/11/arrow-season-6-episode-4-review-reversal-002148401.html

Old but new is definitely a suitable sub-heading for the flower that is Felicity and Oliver’s blossoming relationship. We see the couple having a romantic and hugely anticipated date night at a restaurant looking like their old selves, sharing laughs and smiles. I say old but new only because where their relationship may seem like it’s been dragged out from the past, this #Oliver Queen is brand new and taking a different approach. he’s finally ready to put some effort into his love life, which is amazing to see. In the past, his double life always got the better of him but now, as a retired vigilante, he is able to actually create a normal life for himself.

Well, I wish that was the case at least.

It seems the roles have reversed on our love-struck couple as now Oliver is the one on the sidelines, left in the dark whilst Facility and the team save the day. Not only is he left in the dark but Felicity is the one who has to call the date short for an Arrow related emergency, which whilst watching I just burst out laughing. Oh, what a turn of events for the two. This theme manages to creatively progress through the episode as we see scenes of Oliver comforting Felicity about her ability to do the right thing, stating that she was always the voice of reason in his ear. Again, this is similar to the conversation he had with Diggle in the previous episode, painting a picture that perhaps Oliver Queen due to his newfound fatherhood has actually grown and become the hidden backbone of the team. Offering comfort to those in the team that would normally be doing it for him.

It’s both strange and satisfying to see Oliver this collected and calm about what’s going on.

Something that Felicity in the past would have to help him towards.

The role switching for the two doesn't end there as we see Oliver step into the shoes of Overwatch. I was over the moon to see him stay involved with the team somehow. Perhaps it’s the hopeless romantic inside of me but the fact he found a way to save her life by not physically being there made me extremely happy. Especially as now after their comforting conversation he has proved to be her voice of reason when times look impossible.

I know that in the past people have criticized their relationship and put a negative spin on them reconnecting, but I personally see this as a huge step for everyone involved and hope it continues going this smoothly.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

this #Oliver Queen is brand new and taking a different approach. he’s finally ready to put some effort into his love life, which is amazing to see. In the past, his double life always got the better of him but now, as a retired vigilante, he is able to actually create a normal life for himself.

I'm sorry, but what? Oliver fucked up big time with Felicity, but it was never his double life as a vigilante that was the problem. It was him being a near-sighted, easily manipulated dumbass. What is with the revisionist history in these reviews?

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I'm sorry, but what? Oliver fucked up big time with Felicity, but it was never his double life as a vigilante that was the problem. It was him being a near-sighted, easily manipulated dumbass. What is with the revisionist history in these reviews?

Maybe they only watched 206 and 301? Because those 2 episodes clearly showed that Oliver couldn't balance both.

Plus it's a typical Comicbook trope, not being able to be both mask and "man"

Edited by Morrigan2575

Next of Kin - Arrow Music Notes 6x03
Austencello   November 6, 2017
https://austencello.tumblr.com/post/167205977299/next-of-kin-arrow-music-notes-6x03

Diggle, as the leader and soldier is being reflectively hard on himself. This leads to a little brooding and doubts that Oliver notices (thanks to René’s visit and seeing John off to the side while asking Felicity to tutor William). Usually it is Diggle bringing Oliver out of brooding  so now it is Oliver’s turn to return the favor. As they talk, arpeggios of guitar harmonics (used for Oliver) play periodically while leaving spaces and rests. Oliver has matured and grown and admits that he did not know what he was doing as the Green Arrow but relied on instinct. The music alludes and hints to the main Arrow theme without fully playing it in the harmonies and harmonics. Lower strings join in the inverted hero melody (first heard in 1x14) as Oliver admits that they will probably lose people along the way while in the background, violins faintly play fast Arrow music. Oliver reminds John that the Green Arrow exists because of Diggle’s faith and the lower almost electronic growl for Arrow is repeated several times. Oliver is convinced that John will be an even better leader and hero than he was. Subtle music but very powerful!
John and the team defeat Oynx and as they celebrate, Felicity and Curtis give him a new crossbow that works with Diggle’s strengths yet still shoots arrow to protect the secret. As he receives The Green Monster and tries it out, “Verify and Trust” (1x11) plays with a little extra drum kit for coolness. This theme is primarily used for Diggle and Oliver as they learned how to trust each other in Season 1, first with Ted Gaynor (Diggle’s former army friend), then with Moira and Deadshot. Diggle and Oliver both had blind spots but had to trust each other’s back as a team. Now, Oliver has trusted the team to Diggle and he appears more confident and in control shooting the crossbow. The team in turn, especially Dinah, now have the their full trust in John.
Oliver visits Felicity’s apartment and asks her advice on how to help William. As Felicity is cleaning up and Oliver notices all the start-up equipment and names, a variation of Felicity’s happy work music begins with strings and clarinet (used in 4x06 when Oliver meets Curtis). This style of music accompanied Felicity at Palmer Tech with Ray, Curtis and occasionally Oliver. Strings (long notes and pizzicato) and piano enter as Oliver asks for her help, major and matching their flirting mood. Harp (Felicity’s instrument) enter as Oliver says: “You make things simple. You always have.” 
Felicity tutors William which convinces Oliver to make the step in getting back together instead of waiting, knowing that William will be better with Felicity in his life. He does this by giving Felicity a key and the Olicity theme “Convince Him” (3x20) plays as they kiss. This version includes oboe, voice (Nanda Parbat), piano, and strings. While the Olicity theme has been around since 2x23 “Someone I love”, this specific instrument combination/arrangement has only played in the famous 3x20 scene and 4x06 when they share “that they found themselves in each other.” Each of these moments are a connecting/reconnecting moment. 3x20 and this moment are so different yet in both cases they are allowing themselves to be together after months of denial or waiting and the music reminds us of this. Oliver and Felicity have both grown and moved past their fears and anxieties (also addressed on a small scale in 4x06) and can be happy together stronger than ever. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, tv echo said:

While the Olicity theme has been around since 2x23 “Someone I love”, this specific instrument combination/arrangement has only played in the famous 3x20 scene and 4x06 when they share “that they found themselves in each other.” Each of these moments are a connecting/reconnecting moment. 3x20 and this moment are so different yet in both cases they are allowing themselves to be together after months of denial or waiting and the music reminds us of this.

How does Blake Neely remember everything?  One show alone would be complicated enough but he's got the other Arrowverse and yet other shows he's scoring.  I wonder if he keeps detailed notes on all the scores.

• Love 2

THR's Sydney Bucksbaum interviewed the Arrow cast on set yesterday (actually, I think several media outlets were there grabbing the same quotes), so keep your eye out for the published interviews...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Is there any other description that can be used for JH other than badass? She's literally just sitting in a chair. Big sigh.

She also looks completely different in this picture than she does in her other ones lmao 

• Love 3

Arrow's Bruce Wayne 'Crossover': Stephen Amell Reveals Its Bat-Story
By Matt Webb Mitovich / November 8 2017, 9:49 AM PST
http://tvline.com/2017/11/08/arrow-bruce-wayne-villain-stephen-amell-explanation/ 

“The original version of that script, which came out right before Comic-Con, [had] Oliver referencing a famous name,” Amell shared with reporters on set Wednesday. “I can’t remember what the placeholder was — I think it might have been Justin Bieber — but I looked at it and thought to myself, ‘This is a cool opportunity.'”

Amell ran his idea by Arrowverse overseer Greg Berlanti, who suggested the actor reach out directly to DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns (noting, “You’ll probably have better luck than I would”). Amell aimed to do just that at DC Comics’ Comic-Con soiree, but instead found himself in a four-way conversation with Warner Bros. TV president Peter Roth, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment president Diane Nelson and Warner Bros. Entertainment CEO Kevin Tsujihara.

“I was like, ‘Guys, I have an idea! It will cost you nothing. I think it’d be really fun. It opens the door to a lot of possibilities,'” Amell recalls saying, “because I’ve always thought that our iteration of Oliver Queen and the way that we built this character, obviously, has so many similarities to Bruce Wayne and Batman, and so much of the inspiration for the early parts of our show was taken from the [Christopher] Nolan [Batman movies].”
Amell also appreciated the semi-taunting nature of Mayor Queen’s suggestion that billionaire Bruce Wayne has been scampering around Star City as a costumed vigilante.

“I’ve always thought that Bruce Wayne would be an interesting ally on the show and an even more interesting villain — to Oliver, which… just means that they don’t like each other,” the Arrow star says. “So anyway, I have this holy trinity [of executives] in front of me, and I pitched this idea. I’ve got all my follow-up points, and Kevin Tsujihara just goes, ‘Yeah, sure.’ I said, ‘Really?’ He said, ‘Yeah, that sounds fun. Do that.’ So we did it.”

Though even after filming said shout-out, Amell had his Bat-doubts: “I didn’t actually believe that it would make it until I actually saw it in the locked cut!” 

Stephen Amell Discusses The Arrow Bruce Wayne Reference
Published on Nov 7, 2017, by KSiteTV

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

A.V. Club reviewer gave 605 a "B-"...

Well, crap. Arrow's flashbacks are back.
Allison Shoemaker  November 10, 2017
https://www.avclub.com/well-crap-arrows-flashbacks-are-back-1820323758

“Deathstroke Returns” does a fine job of several things. It marks the return of Manu Bennett’s Slade Wilson, and that’s pretty much always good. It ties Oliver’s big arc — leaving the hood behind so he can be a father to a son who just lost the mother who raised him — to Slade’s current story. It give Juliana Harkavy’s Dinah something to do besides glower at Dig. There are a few good fight scenes, and William gets something that’s almost a punchline. That’s all welcome. Still, overall, there’s something about this episode that feels thin. It’s as though this was always intended to be the first part of a two-parter, only somewhere along the road the Arrow writing team realized they just didn’t have enough stuff to fill part one. The result: some time spent watching Slade Wilson load his camping equipment into a trunk.

When Arrow’s flashback stories work, it’s because the events of the past are directly tied to the present — not because of events of the plot, but because of the inner lives of the characters. The best manage to do both, making a story about Oliver’s relentless guilt also a chance to set up some big reveal. That’s not the case here. There’s nothing we learn from Slade’s father-son-target camping trip that can’t be intuited through the choices Slade makes and the performance Bennett gives. It’s all there: the distance, the regret, the self-disgust, the desperation. The most important aspect of the flashback story, the revelation that Slade’s tense reconnection trip with his son is actually in service of a mission that results in a man’s death, could be conveyed in conversation, recollection, or even one single flashback. Slade banters with his son about fish, slightly thawing a frosty atmosphere, denies that he’s anything but a pilot, then sends a message that a target has been sighted. Mission accomplished.

As stated above, they’re not bad, just a little bit thin, particularly compared to the rest of Slade’s storyline. The actual “twists” might be predictable (at least, they were for me — kid ‘dies’ in prison, friend is involved in the Jackals, kid is actually leader of the Jackals) but the heft of the story works, thanks largely to the consistently appealing chemistry between Bennett and Stephen Amell. Theirs is a strange, uneasy truce, but one rooted in genuine affection but weighed down with a metric ton of baggage.
The Black Canary story for the week is also steeped in history, but because it’s one we know little about, it’s difficult to feel as invested. None of that’s the fault of Juliana Harkavy, who really goes for it throughout “Deathstroke Returns.” Despite the underwhelming revelation of Vigilante’s identity, this B story is mostly successful. That’s largely due to Harkavy’s commitment — we don’t know her long-lost partner, but we know how it affects her, because she allows us in. It’s a welcome change after five episodes worth of glaring at Dig. It may be Harkavy’s best work on the series to date.

Edited by tv echo

EW reviewer gave 605 a "B"...

Arrow recap: 'Deathstroke Returns'
CHANCELLORAGARD   NOVEMBER 9, 2017 
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-episode-5/

... Not everything in the episode works necessarily, but it’s still a fairly compelling hour that sees the return of one of the show’s best assets: Manu Bennett’s Slade.
... In all honesty, you wouldn’t lose much if the flashbacks were removed from the episode, because Bennett does a good job of conveying the guilt he feels over the terrible job he’s done as a father in the present. The flashbacks feel gratuitous and redundant and stop this episode in its tracks.
Slade storms the Jackals’ hideout in a bloody action sequence that’s shot as a series of slow-motion long takes that look fantastic and really convey how this man is a walking war machine. His rampage eventually ends with him being surrounded by gunmen as the source he met with earlier reveals he’s part of the Jackals. Eventually, Oliver wakes up and makes his way to the hideout, arriving just in time for the big reveal: Joe makes his grand entrance and reveals he’s the leader of the Jackals, which is the last thing Slade expected.
What hurts this big reveal, however, is that the show did very little to tease it. It’s been quite a while since we heard about Vincent, so the moment he takes off his mask in his first confrontation with Dinah doesn’t really work. Dinah’s reaction doesn’t work as well as it should for the same reason. She’s basically in shock because she can’t understand how the man she loved and grieved, who used to make her cute matchboxes, became this monster she barely recognizes. That feeling is only amplified when they discover his huge stash of handmade bullets, indicating his war goes far beyond one councilwoman.
There’s a lot to like in “Deathstroke Returns,” but as the episode’s cliffhanger — Slade learning that his son Joe is the leader of the Jackals — conveys, this was part one of a slightly bigger story that will be concluded in next week’s episode. Tonight’s outing was all about sowing the emotional seeds for what will be explored next week, which is why everything here ends up feeling somewhat disappointing.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Season 6 Episode 5 Review: “Deathstroke Returns” 
Chris King  November 10, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-6-episode-5-review-deathstroke-returns

Despite how surprising that reveal of Vincent is to Dinah, though, it doesn’t have the same impact on us as viewers. Ultimately, “Deathstroke Returns” is simultaneously exciting and predictable; it’s an hour that features some solid action, strong character moments, and important twists and turns, but everything also feels somewhat inevitable. Perhaps that’s because the episode centers so directly on Slade and Dinah, and so once the main storylines of “Deathstroke Returns” are revealed, there are only so many directions that they can go in. For instance, every Arrow viewer out there has to know that the show wouldn’t put Oliver and Slade on this mission together to find Slade’s son only to kill him off; similarly, once the show revealed Vigilante’s identity and connected it so personally to Dinah, did anyone really think they were going to arrest him or have him die?

Unlike Season 6’s previous episodes, this week’s Arrow lacks that “wow” factor. It doesn’t have Oliver handing over the mantle of Green Arrow to Dig or Oliver presenting Felicity with the key to his apartment or the introduction of Michael Emerson’s Cayden James, who is working alongside Black Siren. “Deathstroke Returns” hits the pause button on a lot of this season’s action to tell smaller, more personal stories, and for the most part, it is successful, particularly with how it interweaves Slade’s struggles with fatherhood with Oliver’s similar worries. While I can understand why certain Arrow fans aren’t happy with this rehabilitation of Slade, his re-introduction has worked incredibly well for me because, in addition to Quentin, it gives Oliver another father figure that he can interact with and learn from, which is so important to have in Season 6 as he tries to be good father to William on his own. (Side note: I can’t tell you how happy it makes me that both Felicity and Diggle are so skeptical of Slade and so protective of Oliver—it makes complete sense because they never knew the warmer, friendlier Slade that Oliver once knew.)
Similar to Diggle’s drug use, Dinah’s belief in Vincent is a secret that I hope doesn’t fracture Team Arrow too much. The Arrow writers (along with The Flash writers) have hopefully learned throughout the years that team members withholding secrets from one another is a cheap, ineffective way of creating drama, and I want to believe that Dinah’s connection with Vincent will lead to something more dramatically satisfying than simply the rest of the team getting pissed off at her. No matter what the future holds for this storyline, though, it’s fantastic to see Arrow supplying Dinah with a story that is hers and hers alone.
Despite its predictable nature, “Deathstroke Returns” is still a solid hour of television that packs enough emotion and action throughout it to make it a worthy watch. Currently, it’s the weakest episode of Arrow Season 6, but that just shows how strong of a season we’ve gotten from Arrow so far. After the highs of Season 5, I never expected Season 6 to be as intriguing and emotional as it has been, and I can’t wait to see how the writers push this season’s story forward as we get closer to the epic Crisis on Earth-X crossover and the mid-season finale.
I absolutely loved the fight choreography and sheer intensity of the sequences in which Deathstroke is killing members of the Jackals. What I didn’t love as much was the use of slow motion, which messed with the rhythm of the action and made certain moments feel a little cartoony.
-However, the best small moment by far in “Deathstroke Returns” is Slade and Oliver’s exchange about Felicity after she helps them track the Jackals’ location. “She’s brilliant,” Slade says. “How did you get her?” “I ask myself that every day,” Oliver responds.

-“It’s not optimism, Felicity. It’s faith.” Guys, can we just take a moment to talk about how great Diggle and Felicity’s friendship is, and how neither of them ever doubts the other? It makes me so damn happy.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

ARROW: "DEATHSTROKE RETURNS" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEEDEN   9 NOV 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/10/arrow-deathstroke-returns-review

Vigilante is another example of a problem the Arrowverse at large seems to be grappling with a lot this year. These shows are devoting months to building up huge mysteries or letting viewers stew over major cliffhangers, but the payoff often isn’t worth the buildup. Season 5’s dramatic cliffhanger completely fizzled out when it became clear what little toll Adrian Chase’s final attack actually took on Team Arrow. And now, roughly a year after Vigilante first made his debut on the series, the reveal of his identity and motivations is sadly underwhelming.
Here’s the thing - on its own merits, the return of Vincent Sobel (played by Resident Evil: Retribution’s Johann Urb) seems like a perfectly fine addition to Season 6’s bundle of plot threads. It’s a twist that puts Dinah in a tough spot and gives her a conflict wholly her own. But tying that return into the reveal of one of the show’s longer-running mysteries seems like a bad move. It also calls into question why Vigilante was such a major focus in Season 5 in the first place. Tying him into the whole Prometheus conflict suggested some sort of intriguing connection between the two characters (hence my Dorian Chase theory). It at least hinted that the reveal was going to be more significant and impactful than it actually was. Rather than being thrilled at this latest plot twist, I find myself ambivalent about the prospect of Sobel even showing up again.
Thankfully, the return of Ollie/Slade storyline at least lived up to its part of the bargain. It never gets old seeing Manu Bennett step back into his role. That’s especially true now that Slade has become so much more conflicted and morally gray than he was in the first two seasons. He’s clearly regretful about his past misdeeds, both towards Joe and Ollie, and less sure of his place in the world. That was summed up perfectly in the shot where Slade thought Ollie wasn’t joining him. That look of weary resignation and disappointment spoke volumes. In general, the interaction between the two characters was great. That old camaraderie is back, even if there will always be a distance between the two given everything Slade took from Ollie during that dark period in his life.

Edited by tv echo
8 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Didn't a female director make comments about the inappropriate working environment on one of these shows? I wonder if this is what she was referring to. I hope his victims can find peace and justice. 

It is hard to believe that the other showrunners didn't know about this. 19 people?! 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

It is hard to believe that the other showrunners didn't know about this. 19 people?! 

I didn't realize until I read further on that some of those sources weren't harassed, they just observed the harassment. So, given the nature of the accusations it's probably more than 19. Ugh.

Edited by apinknightmare

source.gif

I just read the whole article and I am so disgusted. I hope all his victims are able to move past their traumas and that WB really looks into this and enacts the appropriate changes/measures to avoid anything like this happening again.

ETA: I also hope whoever that other high-level producer is gets exposed.

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 4