Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I wasn't going to post this 601 review until I read the below paragraph, which just made me LOL...

5 Things That Did Not Work In The ARROW Season 6 Premiere
By Renji Kuriakose  October 19, 2017
https://comicsverse.com/5-things-did-not-work-arrow-season-6-premiere/

Just because the two actors have an excellent chemistry with each other doesn’t mean they should remain a couple. The characters don’t strengthen each other at all. Felicity is just a computer hacker while Oliver is a kick-ass vigilante. They don’t work well as a couple.

Edited by tv echo
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

I’ve been watching television and films since I was born.

I think everyone over the age of 65 can say that.  Possibly everyone over the age of 90 since television was invited in the 1920s and movies even earlier.

7 hours ago, tv echo said:

Felicity is just a computer hacker while Oliver is a kick-ass vigilante. They don’t work well as a couple.

Except for the parts when she saves his life.

Is there a disease called "Relationship Blindness"?

• Love 6

A.V. Club gave 602 a B+...

Arrow points itself in a new direction
Allison Shoemaker  October 19, 2017
https://www.avclub.com/arrow-points-itself-in-a-new-direction-1819664128

See that headline? The thing about that headline is that it doesn’t include a direction. That’s intentional, and it’s not because a terrible play on words is best left unadorned. That particular phrase is less specific than it might be because this seems like a good direction—and hopefully, it is—but you never know, do you?

That’s especially true in Star City, where fortunes can change in an instant, and do so on a dizzyingly frequent basis. What’s refreshing about “Tribute” is that, if only for this week, some of those fortunes feel changed in a real and permanent way. Yes, it’s unlikely that Diggle will become the Green Arrow indefinitely, but at the same time, what if he did? What if this becomes a series where Oliver Queen, still the focus of the story, takes a backseat in the organization on which it centers? What if Arrow is suddenly about people trying to fit in their vigilante shifts when they’re not at a day job, or with their kid, or dealing with their injury? What if Arrow is about people with lives based in something like reality?
Thus all that changes, or seems primed to change, feels more significant than it might otherwise. Diggle’s a soldier, and he’s unaccustomed to not bouncing back; placing others at risk feels equally foreign. His stepping up for Oliver is as routine as it gets, but the seeming permanence of that decision is something else. Perhaps someone just dropping in for a quick Arrow outing might miss the significance, but regular viewers will remember that John also has a child. That’s not one guy asking another guy to step up. That’s a man asking his best friend to be the most visible target on the team, because Oliver’s son has already lost a parent, and Diggle’s son has both.
There are things that don’t work as well, too, specifically Dinah’s storyline. While it’s perfectly logical that Diggle’s refusal to confront his new reality, and thus put her at risk, would make her angry, the tone struck by the script and Juliana Harkavy plays as more petulant than anyone else. There’s little resemblance between the woman who last week was insisting that she continue to lie for Quentin, despite the danger in which it placed him, and the woman who bypasses concern and goes straight to resentment and disdain when it comes to a wounded teammate. The story makes sense; the playing of it does not.
I still don’t know what to make of this FBI Agent storyline. Sydelle Noel has loads of charisma, and she’s making the most of her scenes (the one with Quentin and Rene was particularly good), but tonally, it’s all over the place. Let’s hope she gets to play something other than hard-ass next week, huh?

While he’s not much of a focal point this week, Rick Gonzalez’s Rene might be the episode’s MVP. Last season, Wild Dog was a big of a mixed bag for me. This season, so far? Aces.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

EW gave 602 a B...

Arrow recap: 'Tribute'
CHANCELLOR AGARD   OCTOBER 19, 2017 
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-episode-2/

I know we’re six seasons in, but I continue to be amazed by how much Stephen Amell has grown with the role and how nuanced his performance is. There’s a moment after he picks up William when Oliver starts to give William bully advice, pauses because he realizes it’s probably not the best thing to say, but goes ahead with it anyway because it’s the best he can do in the situation; he tells William to punch the biggest guy in the nose the next time they try to start something. Unfortunately, Felicity interrupts with news that she and Curtis were able to find Anatoly, so Oliver jumps out of the car to handle that, leaving an annoyed William alone.
Anatoly, who comes close to reaching Malcolm Merlyn levels of charming villainy, reveals that he’s coming after the $20 million for two reasons: First, the Bratva exiled him because they think his friendship with Oliver made him weak, and now he’s broke. Second, he wants to prove to his brothers that he’s not weak. Honestly, it was relief to learn that Anatoly wasn’t solely motivated by revenge. Money is a simple yet novel motivation for this show. Furthermore, it thematically connects the main Anatoly story line to what’s going with Felicity, who spends the episode pestering Curtis about throwing some of his freelance coding business her way since she’s running low on money. Anyway, Anatoly gives his old friend a choice: Deliver the money and save the remaining Markovian hostage, who has three hours to live because Anatoly poisoned him, or save the money for SCPD.
In a surprising development, this episode was also quite humorous. From Rene’s interactions with Agent Watson to Felicity and Curtis’ banter to even some of Anatoly’s lines, I laughed quite a bit.

At the end of the the episode, Felicity and Curtis agree to go into business together, which is actually kind of exciting. One thing that’s worth noting is how the show is underplaying Felicity and Oliver’s romantic reunion, which makes sense given that William is, rightfully so, taking up most of his attention.

By the end of the episode, we still don’t know who leaked that photo, which is the season’s third mystery. (The first one is who rescued Black Siren from the Lian Yu; the second is what they want with Curtis’ T-sphere.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Another Felicity reference that makes me grit my teeth (from IGN reviewer, so no surprise)...

ARROW: "TRIBUTE" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEEDEN  19 OCT 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/20/arrow-tribute-review

Two other elements from this episode stood out to me. One is that Felicity and Curtis becoming small business owners seems like an entertaining subplot for the duo. They're generally amusing together, and this seems like the sort of low-key conflict that can keep Felicity occupied without all the romantic drama and whatnot. The other is that this episode was completely flashback-less. The premiere made it seem like we were in for a steady stream of flashbacks to the island post-Prometheus, and it's good to see the show dialing back on that front for a change.

Edited by tv echo

OLIVER FACES HIS OWN MORTALITY AND CHOOSES FATHERHOOD IN THE LATEST ARROW
Trent Moore   October 20, 2017
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/oliver-faces-his-own-mortality-and-chooses-fatherhood-in-the-latest-arrow

Seeing Oliver have those moments with William, and labor over the promises he makes to his son and how his decisions will affect him, makes for some of the strongest character growth this series has seen in years. It’s a story that’s been long in the making, and it looks like it will finally get its due.

To see Oliver make that decision to pass the torch is a brave creative mood, and the peek at next week show’s Diggle settling into his role as the new-look Green Arrow. Of course, that status quo probably won’t last for too long (Stephen Amell is still the star of the show, after all), but it’s an exciting direction, regardless. Oliver’s biggest challenge this season isn’t someone like Prometheus or the Dark Archer, its fatherhood. Handing over the bow and arrow to Diggle should free up his schedule a bit more to take it on.

Of course, having Diggle become the new Green Arrow presents its own set of problems. Diggle also has a wife and child, and just because it’s not Oliver under the cowl, that doesn’t mean the FBI will stop hunting the Green Arrow. if anything, he’s just painted a bullseye on Diggle’s back. It’s a cool gesture, but it doesn’t make a lot sense when you start picking it apart. Diggle should have the same familial concerns as Oliver, right?
*FBI Agent Watson’s investigation into Oliver’s alleged superhero-ing looks to be sticking around for the foreseeable future, but one question: Couldn’t ARGUS just pull some strings and make this go away? ARGUS outranks the FBI, right? Why not at least have Lyla put in a few calls to see if it helps?
*William doesn’t want to learn how to fight from Oliver, but sheesh, who better to teach a kid to defend himself, right?
*Felicity and Curtis go into business together, which makes so much sense, and might finally help explain where these folks get their money. Nice to see Curtis asking the hard questions — like what does Diggle do for work, again?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Season 6 Episode 2 Review: Tribute
Delia Harrington  Oct. 20, 2017
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/arrow/268367/arrow-season-6-episode-2-review-tribute

"Tribute" sputtered out of the gate with a main storyline that even the characters admit we have all seen before. It also serves to remind us of how ridiculous it is that anyone in Star City ever bought that the Hood and the Green Arrow were separate vigilantes – I mean come on, the suits weren’t even that different. On the positive side, this episode set up or built upon several points of conflict between Oliver and people who are fundamentally good (or at least not evil), which will likely be richer in the long run.
Curtis brought us a much-needed dose of reality by discussing the “secret jobs” he assumes everyone has. Well, everyone except Diggle, since Lyla brings home the bacon. Felicity being jealous of Curtis’s “secret job” is downright adorable, and the two of them going into business together will be a fun and narratively convenient way of handling Felicity’s unemployment. Now I just want to see Oliver living that budget, single dad, civil servant life.

I do find it hard to believe that two hardcore nerds (a term I say with love) like Felicity and Curtis would both want to be Steve Jobs instead of the Great and Powerful Woz. What’s the point of dropping some in-crowd references if you’re not going to use them well?
It seems a little rude that Oliver cites his child as the reason he can’t be the Green Arrow; after all, Diggle has a kid at home, too. Yes, he’s in a two-parent home, but it’s not like Lyla’s job is exactly safe, either. I guess the old self-centered Oliver isn’t completely out of his system.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Season 6 Episode 2 Review: “Tribute” 
Chris King  October 20, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-6-episode-2-review-tribute

This choice by Diggle illustrates how much he truly loves and cares about Oliver, but it also displays how naive and foolish he is being about his condition. As Dinah continuously reminds him throughout “Tribute,” he is putting everyone on Team Arrow at risk just by being a member. How much potential harm could he cause now that he is its leader? Will Dinah reveal the truth about John to the rest of the team? How will Oliver and Felicity react once they find out? All of these questions are what make Oliver and Diggle’s decisions in the final scene of “Tribute” so dynamic. This passing of the torch is supposed to create more security and stability for Team Arrow, but given what we’ve seen from Dig over the past two episodes, it looks like it will more than likely lead to the opposite.
While I spent most of my review discussing Oliver and Diggle, a different type of major development happened for two other characters, as Felicity and Curtis decide to join forces and go into business together. I am 100% here for Felicity Smoak and Curtis Holt being their awesome selves and running their own company. Plus, I enjoyed how Arrow tongue-in-cheekly acknowledged a main question that lots of fans have: How do all these characters afford to live in Star City when they don’t have real jobs?
Stephen Amell is doing some next-level work this season in the scenes between Oliver and William. I don’t know if it’s just Amell’s own paternal instincts coming out, but there’s such a subtle change in the way that Oliver presents himself to his son that really packs an emotional punch. Even when the writing and dialogue might be lacking, Amell’s performance alone keeps me glued to the screen during those father/son exchanges.

Did the score in this episode seem a little off to anyone else? There were some points which it sounded almost electronic, and I was not a fan. Here’s hoping this isn’t a new type of direction for Arrow‘s music.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 6, Episode 2 - Tribute
Starman   October 19, 2017
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2017/10/arrow-episode-guide-season-6-episode-2.html

Oliver says that he's never lied to his kid before. He seems to be forgetting that he lied to William about just being a friend of his mom during the few times they met and played before William was abducted by Damien Darhk.

Oliver asks John Diggle to replace him as Green Arrow because he can't afford to risk William's only parent. This still seems like a dick move on Oliver's part given that John Diggle is also a father with a young son, even if John Jr's mother is still alive.
If you had told me that the best scene of this episode would involve Oliver Queen and Rene Ramirez talking about fatherhood, I wouldn't have believed it. Yet Stephen Amell and Rick Gonzalez rock that moment.
Intentionally awkward as it is, the lampshade-hanging dialogue between Felicity and Curtis as to just how the heck they are paying their bills is hilarious and a nice "take that" to the pedantic fans who like to know these details.
Quentin refers to Oliver having been caught "in flagrante de-Arrow." This is a paraphrase of the Latin phrase "in flagrante delicto" - literally, "in blazing offense".  Legally, it is used to refer to a criminal who has been caught in the act of committing a crime. An equivalent idiom in English would be "caught red-handed". The phrase is also referred to use to someone being caught in the middle of sexual activity, usually in an embarrassing fashion, such as being found to be cheating on a spouse or being discovered having sex in a public place.

Oliver says he can't leave town because of a meeting with a delegation from Markovia. In the comics, Markovia is located in Western Europe between France, Belgium and Luxembourg. It is home to the hero Geo-Force, who is its hereditary king.

Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’ Recap: “Tribute” – Honorable Men
KAYTI BURT   OCTOBER 19, 2017
http://collider.com/arrow-season-6-episode-2-recap/

However, this seems unlikely to happen, given Diggle’s secret nerve damage that keeps him from being able to shoot a gun and I guess an arrow? Oliver’s request explains why Arrow decided to give Diggle this injury storyline: it keeps him from being able to take Oliver up on his request, if not in the short-term, then definitely in the long term.

In the short-term, it seems Diggle will continue to lie about his nerve damage, which is disappointingly out-of-character. This is the man who has made Oliver face the reality of his situation since Day One. Sure, he’s gone off the deep end a bit since he killed his brother (also, out of character), but he has never been the type to value his pride over the safety of his friends. It took Rene getting seriously injured and Dinah almost getting strangled to death just for Diggle to admit he had a problem, but, even then, he swore Dinah to secrecy. I’m hoping Diggle tells Oliver the truth, despite Oliver’s plan to give the Green Arrow alter ego to him. Otherwise, this is not the John Diggle I know.
Besides, no one can live forever. Rather than try to ensure that he never die, perhaps Oliver should work on creating a larger family around his son. (I think the season may be going there?) Even if Oliver doesn’t die anytime soon, that doesn’t mean William doesn’t need a community.

And I can already tell Oliver is relying on Raisa too much. Doesn’t that woman have a family of her own? Or is she some sort of bot that has been gathering dust in some Queen family storage locker since the pilot, only to be pulled out and booted up again for the Season 6 premiere.
— I don’t get it. Why is this episode called “Tribute”? Is it because Oliver offering the Green Arrow to Diggle is a sign of respect and admiration? Try harder, CW naming department.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Season 6 Episode 2 recap: Will the real Green Arrow please stand up?
20th October 2017 by Luciana Mangas
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/arrow-season-6-episode-2-recap-will-the-real-green-arrow-please-stand-up/

I love this Oliver Queen, and I absolutely love how they are handling his struggle as a suddenly single father. Even though he has known about William for the past season and a half, being an actual parent is something completely different than just visiting him every once in a while. Now he needs to think about how everything in his life is going to affect his kid, and finding himself as a full time father to a grieving, traumatized 12-year-old boy is definitely not an easy feat.

Stephen Amell and Jack Moore have found this balance and this tender, strained chemistry that has me hanging onto every word they say and every interaction. This is uncharted territory for Oliver, and William is struggling with this new reality just as much as his father is. I love how Oliver doesn’t know how to actually be a father, and he doesn’t always know what the right thing is.
– Felicity and Curtis were at their very best last night, and they reminded me why I love them together so much. I laughed out loud at their whole secret job conversation. Also, Smoak Tech is totally coming and I absolutely can’t wait.

I wonder if it’s going to be called Smoak Tech, though, if she’s going into business with Curtis. Either way, I am so, so excited about this storyline and I wonder if that’s what Stephen Amell was talking about in his Instagram live story yesterday.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: Pulled Back In
By Matt Ross   October 19, 2017
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/10/19/arrow-pulled-back-in

We’re walking a fine line here between a super hero show and a daytime soap opera, people.

The single dad balancing running a city by day, while protecting it at night as a masked hero—all while trying to raise his angst-filled teenage son. The recently divorced guy who is at odds with himself and where he fits in with the team. A father whose life was torn apart by drugs/violence and is incapable of reconnecting with his daughter. The tough cop whose partner was killed, so she’s on a mission to end violence. The ex-soldier struggling to “soldier on.” And the tech-savvy, self-proclaimed nerd whose relationship status with our hero is “it’s complicated.”
Shows like Arrow are interesting. They explore the idea of taking characters from the pages of a comics and drop them in the frame of a TV. The result is a product that is more “realistic.”
Well, an interesting thing happens when you read a comic book. Your mind accepts things that you know are just not possible. Some refer to it as the suspension of disbelief—to believe the unbelievable, to sacrifice reality for enjoyment. Yes, it works for movies and TV, too. But to me, it’s so much more powerful in comics. The mass destruction caused by two super-powered beings slugging it out is easier to understand and “accept” when you see it drawn in a sequence of panels. When I see it on TV or the big screen, it just doesn’t translate to me. I find myself wondering how much in property damage they’re causing, or how many people were killed or injured when the huge building collapsed, etc., etc…

I’m often doing the same thing when watching Arrow. Wouldn’t Ollie be sore coming into work after a night of crime fighting? How has he never had any visual bumps, bruises or injuries that would complicate things while being mayor and cause people to ask questions? No one has ever discovered this elaborate hideout, and where did all that advanced equipment come from that they can literally do anything with? Like break down the type of poison attacking a hostage and develop an antidote just by looking at a picture? The list goes on…but in the pages of a comic, it never really crosses my mind.
So when tonight’s episode started, I found myself asking those same questions. I was wondering how the FBI wasn’t monitoring all of Ollie’s activities—phone calls, emails, where he goes, etc. Wouldn’t they be on him like glue?
Tonight really drove home that there’s no possible way a guy could be mayor of a major metropolitan city, a masked vigilante and expect to be a full-time dad and raise a son. It’s just not possible. It can’t work. On the shelf of a comic book store, yes. But unfolding on the screen of a TV, no.
At the end of the episode, something awesome happened. Ollie asked John to take over the Green Arrow mantle…and he accepted!
For starters, it’s going to be cool to see how John does while donning the hood. Once more, can he overcome this injury, which he was obviously going to reveal to Ollie, but chose not to because he was caught off guard by Ollie’s invitation? And will he be using arrows or bullets?

The other reason I like it is because it just makes sense—at least in the Arrowverse reality. It’s obvious that Ollie’s son is going to be a big part of this season and as stated above, Ollie can’t be the mayor, Arrow and a dad. Even Slade said so last week. But, he can be the mayor, a dad and still be involved in helping keep Star City safe. He’s a guy who has the experience of being a hero, knows the team and has his finger on the pulse of everything Star City because of his position as mayor.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

‘Arrow’ 6×02 Review: ‘Tribute’
OCTOBER 20, 2017 by ALYSSA BARBIERI
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-6x02-review-tribute/

But, it feels good to watch Arrow and enjoy it again. It’s been a while. And with two episodes straight in season 6, I’m beginning to embrace the optimism here.
But then Arrow started hitting on those emotional elements that, as a viewer, I need to feel invested. In the first half of the hour, I was lacking that emotional connection. It was all action, action, action. I needed a reason to care. And then the show gave me specific reasons to care.

Oliver’s dynamic with William, something I’m still warming up to, took an interesting turn that was focused on heart. This wasn’t William just being a bratty kid. There was a legit issue here, where he feared that Oliver would go out and be the Green Arrow and one night not come home, leaving him an orphan. It was something that Oliver could relate to, in a way, and it really drove that personal connection home.

There was also Diggle’s struggle with his nerve damage, and how the inner turmoil was hurting him. But also how this nerve damage was limiting him and nearly costing the lives of those on his team he cares about. There’s a genuine problem here that Diggle was trying to run from. The only thing is, this isn’t an enemy overseas. This is a part of him. And you can’t outrun yourself.
At first I thought Oliver was headed in a completely different direction with ensuring that William wouldn’t end up without a parent. I thought that he was thinking ahead to creating a family with him, William, and Felicity. But Oliver isn’t there yet. He’ll get there in time. Instead, Oliver turned to Diggle for help.
So Oliver sees it as: If I’m not out there putting my life on the line every day, then it lessens the chance that he leaves William alone. But Oliver also knows that the Green Arrow cannot cease to exist. He’s a representation of protection in this city, both for the people and the criminals that dare threaten it. If the Green Arrow were to disappear, who knows what would happen to the city?

As we’ve seen with Black Canary, it’s not necessarily the person underneath that the ordinary person gets to see. All they see is the superhero persona. So it doesn’t necessarily matter who is under the hood so much as they’re representing the city and protecting it from those that threaten it. So much as they’re doing right by the name.
It feels as if I’ve been waiting an eternity for the beginning of Smoak Technology or Smoak Industries or whatever name they wanna give it. With all the Easter Eggs dropped on Legends of Tomorrow and in alternate alien realities, I’ve been not-so-patiently waiting for Felicity to begin her ascent to success.
4. Are we finally getting the start of Smoak Industries?! I’m beyond excited about that, but I’m still wondering why this is something that’s going to be tied to both Felicity and Curtis? This is a storyline that’s been in the cards for Felicity since it was alluded to last season. Felicity doesn’t need anyone to be a success. I just wish the show would allow her to do just that. But then again, I guess they need a storyline for Curtis.

5. Also, yes, the order does matter. It’s “Overwatch and Mister Terrific, not Mister Terrific and Overwatch.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Arrow, ‘Tribute’: Oliver Faces Pressure from New and Old Threats
BY CRAIG WACK · OCTOBER 20, 2017
http://oohlo.com/2017/10/20/arrow-tribute-oliver-faces-pressure-from-new-and-old-threats/

Sex and the Olicity: They didn’t appear onscreen together this week. So, love is interrupted by mayoring and fatherhood, again.
What’s next: Just as Diggle was going to tell Ollie about his health problems, Ollie asks Digs to take over as Green Arrow. Being ever the good solider, Digs accepts. Ollie is stepping away because of his sense of obligation to William, that it’s not about just him anymore. It’s a little short-sighted on Ollie’s part because his mom, sister, friends and many ex-girlfriends would have been devastated if he were killed in the line of duty. But hey, whatever helps Ollie sleep at night. There was no sign of Black Siren or her mystery benefactor, and the whole Anatoly needs money plot thread wasn’t exactly tied off, either.

Last impressions: Arrow is exploring a lot of avenues in the first couple of episodes of this season. With fatherhood, the media, and a determined FBI agent all applying their own pressure, Oliver has been forced to be more introspective than ever. It’s an interesting change of pace from the old routine of Oliver pretty much being a bad teammate on the regular. There is some danger to the course however, with so many secondary plot threads to service, it could cause the whole series to get jumbled up. It hasn’t happened yet, but it’s something worth keeping track of.

Edited by tv echo

Agents of GEEK Podcast Episode 91
10/21/2017  Craig Wack & Tatiana Torres
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- About Arrow 602, Tatiana: "William is so Ollie in that he broods for 48 minutes and then the last 3 minutes he's like in a good mood... Geez, kid, we get it, you're just like your father." 

-- Craig noted that, at the end of this episode, Oliver said something like, before William, he had nobody at home, so he could go out and risk his life. He and Tatiana joked that it was odd that all of those people before in Oliver's life apparently meant nothing to him.  Tatiana: "Felicity, Dig - you meant nothing to me. My sister doesn't matter." Craig: "My mom, my stepdad, you know, Tommy Merlyn, you know, none of those people mattered."

-- Craig noted that, even when Oliver & Felicity were fighting, they were still on screen together for at least one scene per episode, but that in this episode, they didn't have a single scene together. Oliver was "either fighting crime or in his office or at his house." Instead, Felicity and Curtis were a pair, Diggle and Dinah were a pair, and Oliver was just "sort of floating around" with Quentin and Wild Dog as a pair.

-- Craig was concerned that once again, there was going to be drama in Team Arrow "because they can't be grownups and talk to each other." Diggle finally breaks down and tells Dinah about his degenerative nerve damage injury. But when Oliver comes to yet "another epiphany" and decides that he can't be the Green Arrow so he asks Diggle to take over, Diggle agrees to become the Green Arrow instead of revealing his injury to Oliver. Craig said that "we've been down this road before." 

-- Craig thought that Diggle will falter at some future point while in the field, risking someone else's life, and then the truth will come out, paving the way for someone else to take over. Also, Craig was afraid that this might be leading to a redemption arc for Black Siren ("the road to ruin"), so he asked everyone to pray for Diggle's continued good health. But Tatiana disagreed that they're going to do a BS redemption arc.

-- Craig noted that there was no Black Siren or her "mystery benefactor," and that the Anatoly story didn't get resolved in this episode.

-- Craig speculated that the doctored Oliver/GA photo and Curtis' "mystery coding" are related - that maybe Curtis unknowingly helped Helix. Craig liked the bantering relationship between Felicity and Curtis.

-- Tatiana hoped that the "William block" on Olicity making out gets resolved before Christmas. Craig mentioned some spoilers in that regard.

-- Craig was skeptical that Diggle took shrapnel and no one could tell. Craig was also skeptical about how the new Team Arrow members all became so quickly competent.

-- Craig liked the Quentin and Wild Dog relationship and their "dry humor" with the FBI agent.

-- Craig didn't think that Malcolm Merlyn died on the island "because John Barrowman doesn't die" and that Malcolm might be Black Siren's mystery benefactor.

-- Btw, in their Marvel's Inhumans (ep. 105) review, Craig and Tatiana refer to Louise as "FelicityLite" (not sure of spelling). Craig: "And the fact that FelicityLite is in fact FelicityLite... Inhumans is making no bones about, you know, like, you know what people like? People like that Felicity character on Arrow. Let's make one of our own. Start auditioning the blondes with glasses. Bring 'em in!" 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

As we know, Nora Dominick is no longer writing Arrow reviews for Emertainment Monthly. But apparently she has been replaced at EM by Ross Fodera (he's also reviewing Flash). Here's his (belated review) of 601 - he gave it a B+...

‘Arrow’ Review: “Fallout”
October 21, 2017   Ross Fodera ’20
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/index.php/arrow-review-fallout/

After one of the best seasons the show has offered in recent years, Arrow comes running out of the gate with an amazing episode. It opens with a jump to 5 months after the end of last season and the team is stopping Alex Faust (Dominic Bogart) from firing a missile at Star City. After he is arrested, Black Siren (Katie Cassidy) breaks him out killing much of the SPD and Team Arrow can’t help but stay one step behind her for most of the episode. At the same time Oliver is dealing with taking on his role as a father to William (Jack Moore), who is suffering from nightmares about the “bad man.”

The choice to make Oliver a father has been hinted at since season 2 when Oliver’s mother paid a girl Oliver had gotten pregnant to move away and never talk to him again. I am excited to see the direction they take William and Oliver’s relationship, since it offers a brand new dynamic for the season that the show has never tackled before.
Overall, this episode lives up to the cliffhanger ending. Most of the cast does an amazing job delivering performances, specifically Quentin, who’s dealing with the alternate version of his dead daughter trying to kill him. The episode isn’t perfect, though: some actors’ deliveries are a bit exaggerated, some characters keep secrets for seemingly no good reason and the villain’s performance isn’t anything special after last season. However, the confirmation that the season 2 villain Deathstroke (Manu Bennett) is free from prison and out there for future episodes is lackluster. The end drops a bombshell of a plot twist that sets up a refreshing season and gets back to the show’s roots while bringing new things to the table.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

-- Craig thought that Diggle will falter at some future point while in the field, risking someone else's life, and then the truth will come out, paving the way for someone else to take over. Also, Craig was afraid that this might be leading to a redemption arc for Black Siren ("the road to ruin"), so he asked everyone to pray for Diggle's continued good health. But Tatiana disagreed that they're going to do a BS redemption arc.

I don't get the correlation here. 

• Love 4

My interpretation of Craig Wack's comments is based on the fact that he refers to Dinah as "Temporary Canary." So I think, he thinks fears that Dinah will leave the show in some fashion (die or leave Star City) after BS is redeemed and then a redeemed BS will become BC and a member leader of Team Arrow. 

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

My interpretation of Craig Wack's comments is based on the fact that he refers to Dinah as "Temporary Canary." So I think, he thinks fears that Dinah will leave the show in some fashion (die or leave Star City) after BS is redeemed and then a redeemed BS will become BC and a member leader of Team Arrow. 

Please NO!

Unless they take all the noobies off to their own show. 

Is This Is Us Twist Too Much? Who Had the Best Anthropomorphic Vagina? Are Flash Physics Farcical? And More Qs!
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Ryan Schwartz and Rebecca Iannucci / October 20 2017, 10:49 AM PDT
http://tvline.com/2017/10/20/this-is-us-season-2-kate-pregnant-tv-questions-answers/

22 | On Arrow, did it strike you as odd that Oliver would — spoiler alert! — ask Dig, who’s also a father, to put himself in harm’s way by taking on the mantle of Green Arrow? And why does William’s bedroom have concrete slab walls?

Fallout - Arrow Music Notes 6x01
Austencello   October 22, 2017
https://austencello.tumblr.com/post/166690664814/fallout-arrow-music-notes-6x01

Poor Quentin. Throughout the episode, it is revealed that he killed (or least thought he did) Laurel 2 to save Dinah. They kept this secret from the rest of the team until Black Siren reappears at the precinct, blowing up the place.  Each time she appears, her theme “Laurel, not Laurel” (5x10) plays in different instruments versions either in horn or flute or a combination. (6 times in total.  The only character theme that has reappeared that many times in an episode outside of Oliver was Barry Allen in 2x08!)  
Quentin believes that she is coming for him and so confesses to the team that he killed Laurel while “Ashamed” (1x10) plays.  A hauntingly beautiful and appropriate theme. After the flashback to that event, Lance says: “I killed my baby girl” as the Laurel/Quentin string theme plays.  “Have to Kill” is originally from 1x02 where Laurel tells Quentin that her job is to fight for what is right, just like he taught her.  This theme comes back in Season 5 as Quentin mourns Laurel’s death “Lance Goes to Rehab.”
 ... This leads to a cute scene as Oliver invites her to join him and William for dinner. Felicity declines as not to confuse William in his grieving and angry state (dealing with Samantha’s death and living with a father who is a stranger). She does promise another night which makes Oliver very happy. During this part, a version of the Olicity theme “the one I love” plays in the piano. It is subtle as the rhythm and the instrumentation (piano) are the same yet it starts with a fifth instead of a fourth. (Distance between notes) The other difference is that the theme is in major and the third interval is a major seventh instead of a minor seventh. A major seventh almost always resolves up. This little difference indicates promise. It is not the full blown theme and yet the hints and the signs are there that Oliver and Felicity are back together or will be soon and in a good place. 
The most important relationship being established in this episode is Oliver with his son William. William is confused and angry blaming Oliver for Samantha’s death. During one of their scenes, Williams shares about his nightmares and that Oliver is the bad man responsible in both life and those dreams for his mother’s death. This crushes Oliver. During this time, the piano plays the theme “Big Mistake” (2x20). “Big mistake” first appears when Oliver finds out that Samantha is pregnant. It is the theme that returns when Oliver finds out William in the Flash and when Thea found out about him in 4x14. Now it is just the theme for the two of them, as they learn and navigate what it means to be father and son.

Near the end, it is revealed that Thea is in a coma from the Island explosions. Oliver enters her hospital room to visit her as “purest heart” (2x21) plays. Nothing is said out loud but the music explores Oliver’s feelings as he sees his sister comatose. One of the things that is very consistent in the show is Oliver’s deep love for his sister. “Purest heart” is how Oliver views Thea. This theme is first heard in 2x21 when he says to her: “Out of all of us you have the purest heart…There has not been a day I did not cherish you as a sister.” The music switches to a new horn melody as Slade enters. Slade and Oliver discuss being fathers and being caught between the man that the people need and the father their sons need. Strings take up the slow version of the Arrow theme over horn and guitar harmonics, often used for emotional beats with Oliver since 1x05 (“I forgot who I was” and numerous other tracks) 
- Mr Terrific has his own new theme in the horn at the beginning when he throws his T spheres into the missile. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I have seen every single episode of The Walking Dead and I cannot remember JH on it. At all. Who was she?!

When the Governor resurfaced in season 4 and they devoted two Episodes to him, she was one of the people he ran into, she was Taras girlfriend I believe who was killed when Lizzie shot her in the head protecting Tyreese

• Love 2
On 10/19/2017 at 7:38 AM, tv echo said:

I wasn't going to post this 601 review until I read the below paragraph, which just made me LOL...

5 Things That Did Not Work In The ARROW Season 6 Premiere
By Renji Kuriakose  October 19, 2017
https://comicsverse.com/5-things-did-not-work-arrow-season-6-premiere/

Just because the two actors have an excellent chemistry with each other doesn’t mean they should remain a couple. The characters don’t strengthen each other at all. Felicity is just a computer hacker while Oliver is a kick-ass vigilante. They don’t work well as a couple.

This has to be the stupidest criticism I have ever read about Olicity ever. "Just a computer hacker"  I wonder if this person remembers that Oliver did a little of his own hacking until he needed help to get out there and be that kick ass vigilante.  LOLOLOL.

OH. I missed this before.  I love the disingenuous concern for Felicity here. 

Now I see what's going on

Felicty Smoak, a proven powerful female, appears to serve no purpose in the ARROW season 6 premiere other than as a love interest. Conversely, Black Canary’s motivations and goals seem much more strongly driven and defined. Green Arrow and Black Canary are one of the most iconic superhero couples in comic books. The tv show needs to embrace the comic history instead of disregarding it

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

'Arrow’ Star Rick Gonzalez Addresses Wild Dog Costume Controversy
BY NICOLE MASSABROOK @NKMASS ON 10/25/17 AT 1:03 PM
http://www.ibtimes.com/arrow-star-rick-gonzalez-addresses-wild-dog-costume-controversy-2606108

Wild Dog is looking a little less scrappy in “Arrow” Season 6. After running around in a sweatshirt and hockey gear for Season 5, The CW drama upgraded his suit in Season 6. Actor Rick Gonzalez says he digs his new costume, even if comic book artist Terry Beatty feels differently.

“I love the suit, and I totally understand Terry’s take on it,” Gonzalez told International Business Times. “He should feel very protective over the suit and everything that he created. You want to have that on screen.”
Gonzalez acknowledged it was a departure from the comics. However, “Arrow,” like most comic book adaptations, has never stayed faithful to every aspect of the source material.

“I think what we did was we definitely honored the comic book and kept it very close in Season 5,” the actor added. “I think that’s an accomplishment in itself because not many other comic book films and TV shows do that or are even capable of doing that. But we managed to pull it off, and I think Season 5 was special, especially with having Wild Dog and his energy and just even the way he looked.”

While the actor respects Beatty’s opinion, he actually loves the new Wild Dog suit. The New York native actor praised those who worked on the new costume. “I think that this season I have to give props to [costume designer] Maya Mani and [concept illustrator] Andy Poon for creating a suit that I feel like gives a tip of the hat to last season,” he said.

The star, who is currently raising funds for Puerto Rico’s hurricane relief efforts, said there’s also a sort of Easter egg in the suit that he isn’t sure fans have noticed. “I haven’t seen any of the fans point out the Wild Dog in the suit because it’s in there,” he teased. “Maya specifically in the design kind of created, with the paneling and the way the suit looks, [a way] to kind of show off the dog and I challenge people to see if they can pick that out. To me it’s really cool, and I think it kind of lends to the energy of Team Arrow and the way everyone else looks, but at the same time, still giving Rene his own bite, no pun intended.”

Edited by tv echo

Happy Arrowversary: ‘Lone Gunman’
BY BRIANNA MARTINEZ   OCTOBER 24, 2017 // 8:29 PM
http://fanfest.com/2017/10/24/happy-arrowversary-lone-gunman/

There are a few big moments that are consistently shared in the Arrow fandom. From the 100th episode last year to the airing of the very first episode, the fandom takes joy in celebrating the milestones. And today is no different.

Today marks five years since “Lone Gunman” aired. The third episode in the series, the hour introduced some of the most significant characters involved with Oliver’s story, both purposely and accidentally. Floyd Lawton aka Deadshot was introduced. An assassin sent to Starling City to take down some of Oliver’s targets, Oliver decides to figure out who this man is. And in comes the bullet-ridden laptop.

After a suggestion from Walter, Oliver heads down to Queen Consolidated’s IT department to ask for help. Who should he ask? None other than Felicity Smoak.
Fans are familiar with the story of Emily Bett Rickards’ initial guest appearance on the show. Initially meant to be a one-off, the executive producers decided to bring her in. That one interaction that gave us memorable lines like “my coffee shop is in a bad neighborhood” and objects that fans will forever equate to the pair (like the red pen). The story changed course, and we saw more of Felicity as the season went on until she attained series regular status, becoming one of the core members of the cast and the team.

The hour’s final moments also gave us the beginning of the building towards Team Arrow as Diggle is saved from the curare-laced bullet and he discovers that he is in the lair and that Oliver is The Hood. Granted, it’s a bit of a bumpy start but by the time the team kinda begins to really take shape in “The Odyssey.”
The episode felt like the start of the series we see today, and that is what we celebrate on this milestone today.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8

Arrow: The Top 10 Security Measures Protecting the Oft-Infiltrated Bunker
By Matt Webb Mitovich / October 26 2017
http://tvline.com/2017/10/26/arrow-top-10-list-security-at-bunker-arrowcave/

To get a better sense of the security measures one must cunningly circumvent in the name of arranging an unscheduled face-off with Team Arrow, TVLine contacted some well-placed sources — meaning, a few of the waitresses at the dive bar where Rene regularly downs a few beers after work and spouts off about his “super-secret superhero hangout, shhh!” Here’s what we learned:

The Top 10 Security Measures Protecting Arrow‘s Oft-Infiltrated Bunker

10. “Green Arrow Bunker” is not (any longer) listed on the mailbox outside.
9. “Beware of Wild Dog” sign out front
8. The front door key is not hidden under the doormat bearing the Arrow emblem but on the top jamb — and on the left side.
7. Old-timey shopkeeper’s bell jingles when the front door is opened
6. A tape recording of a bo staff training session is played when the team is on a mission, so the place doesn’t sound empty.
5. Elevator access panel code alternates weekly between 1234 and 4321.
4. In the elevator, the bunker level is cryptically labeled POOL/FITNESS CENTER.
3. If you’ve made it out of the elevator, be prepared to duck a swinging paint can a la Home Alone (newly installed on Oct. 13).
2. Looking to hack the computer system? Good luck — the password is “Arr0w,” using a zero, not a letter O. (And even if you crack that, guess what? You’ve actually accessed S.T.A.R. Labs’ top-secret system. Sucker.)

And the No. 1 security measure protecting Team Arrow’s oft-infiltrated bunker….

1. Lenny at the 24-hour Big Belly Burger across the street has been asked to keep an eye on the place.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 11

FYI (this was retweeted by MG yesterday)...

Advance Review: Arrow “Next of Kin”
October 26, 2017 Craig Byrne 
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/advance-review-arrow-next-of-kin/

Again like last week, all of the series regulars appearing in the show are given plenty to do. Although she is not the team leader I really like the role that Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) plays, especially when it relates to John Diggle’s situation. But again, Quentin, Rene, Felicity, Curtis… it just works. To see how the team works in the field with a not currently capable team leader is fascinating to me.
Even though Thea is indisposed and he has no idea on how to do everything related to fatherhood, Oliver is trying to be the best father he can be, and despite those worries about how to handle certain situations with William, Oliver seems more at ease than he has ever been. He’s smiling more. Now he gets to see someone else doing the brooding thing. And, yes, that may lead to a reconciliation with Felicity (okay, it does. The photos spoiled it.) Here’s the difference from when “Olicity” was around before, even at the start of Season 4 when they attempted to be domestic and leave it all behind: This time there are no secrets. There’s no lying. No one’s pretending that they do or don’t miss the superhero life. Both characters may be ready to take the plunge at this point. I’m curious where this will go, and those who know me well know if I hated it I would say so.

Another highlight of this episode is William; the casting directors really lucked out in getting a good young actor to play Oliver’s son, and his scenes with Stephen as Oliver and – spoiler alert! – Emily as Felicity are great. Sometimes shows get stuck with really bad kid actors and Jack Moore is definitely up to the task. I’ve said before that the Oliver character seems to work the best opposite family – well, there we go.
If there’s any downside to this story it is that the villain plot was pretty forgettable, but the character stories are what made this story work – particularly the ones between Oliver and William plus John and Team Arrow. Some may take issue with Black Siren not being in this week’s episode, but I see it this way: I’d much rather have episodes that put her to good use rather than having her there just to have her there. The show is going so well with its ensemble right now, I’m okay and expecting to see more of her as time goes on.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

A.V. Club reviewer gave 603 a B...

The new Arrow has inherited more than the hood
Allison Shoemaker  October 27, 2017
https://www.avclub.com/the-new-arrow-has-inherited-more-than-the-hood-1819900906

Arrow isn’t a series known for its sunniness. It’s not high on anyone’s list of relentlessly optimistic properties. When a person needs cheering up, odds are it’s not Arrow that’s first in the queue, and it’s probably not second, either.. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s broody and dark, and that broodiness is a quality about which it seems to be self-aware, at least occasionally. On Arrow—and on most long-running dramas, honestly—it’s best to be suspicious of happy endings. Such things can never last, because this is Arrow, and that shit is grim.
That’s why it’s such a pleasant and messed-up surprise to be conned, even just a little bit, by “Next Of Kin.” Your mileage may vary, of course, but the seemingly happy ending of this hour seems plausible in part because it doesn’t ever feel inevitable. Watching John Diggle freeze again, lose the trust of the team he now leads, and dive deep into doubt? That’s all classic Arrow. It’s the turnaround that’s unexpected, complete with an almost warm and fuzzy champagne toast. Diggle’s success, and the team’s, feels hard-won, and so their celebration doesn’t play as doomed. And that lack of doom makes the new Green Arrow’s final scene, telegraphed throughout the episode, somehow still a surprise. This is Arrow, so the honeymoon could never last forever. But did it have to be so damn short?
Arrow might be grim, but it has a sense of humor about itself. More importantly, its writers seem much more determined to focus on people for plot, and not the reverse. Not a perfect episode, but a good one, and sometimes a surprising one. That’s good enough for me.
Kevin Tancharoen directed this episode, and thus, also directed one of the best fights I’ve seen on The CW. That battle outside the car is visually really cool.

Also cool: Diggle dives off a building, only to be propelled onto the roof of another building via Canaty Cry.

I always forget how laid-back Arrow is [about] killing off red-shirts, even when they’re previously positioned as comic relief.

Shoutout to everyone in the comments last week who thought that it wasn’t that Oliver and Diggle had a mutual understanding that two parents were better than one, but that Oliver just straight-up forgot that Diggle has a kid.

Edited by tv echo

Hey, Sara Netzley's back this week reviewing Arrow for EW- and gave 603 a B...

Arrow recap: 'Next of Kin'
SARA NETZLEY  OCTOBER 26, 2017 
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-episode-3/

Oliver’s got allies, though, so he plies Felicity with Big Belly Burger and asks for her help since math wasn’t his strong suit in school. Felicity jokes that his strong suit must’ve been truancy, but Oliver corrects her: It was charm. Yep, I believe that.
... Inside are two Kord employees bickering about in-cab silence versus radio pre-sets, and in 30 seconds, we get the richest character interaction of no-name extras that Arrow’s ever given us. And it gets even better when John squeezes into the cab and, after an awkward silence, announces, “You have horrible taste in music.” Ha! Oliver Arrow would never say that, but it feels perfectly natural for John Arrow.
... This prompts an Oliver drop-in at the Arrow Cave, where he accomplishes two tasks. First, he recruits Nevada’s three-time state Mathletics champion to tutor his child. (Felicity says it’s only three because they wouldn’t let freshmen compete, NOT THAT SHE’S STILL BITTER.) She seems pleased and a bit flustered by this request.
Gotta say, Arrow depicted the Oliver/John and Oliver/Felicity relationships so beautifully tonight. Original Team Arrow know each other inside and out, and their one-on-one scenes are a pitch-perfect combination of insight, support, and encouragement. (Next page: Pop a breath mint and get ready for kissing)
At Oliver’s apartment, Felicity is crushing her tutoring gig, and she and William gently scoff at born-into-privilege Oliver thinking that school doesn’t matter when it is/was so important to the two of them.

Oliver is delighted at their interplay as he delivers a plate of Monte Cristos to the table. Felicity’s aghast that William’s never had one before, while I’m aghast that Oliver made the sandwiches with waffles. Is that a…thing? That people do?
That night, Oliver swings back by Felicity’s place with a gift to celebrate the A that William earned on his math test. Felicity unleashes a flow of words that reminded me of her character in season 1 when she was overwhelmed to be meeting Mr. Queen for the first time. Felicity voices her surprise that Oliver has a math prodigy son, then assures him that he has other gifts, like his amazing abs. Ha!
They kiss, and then they kiss, and then Felicity slides her hands under Oliver’s jacket to slide it from his body as she pushes him off screen.

Woof. That escalated from *heart eyes emoji* to *ten million fire emojis* in a hurry. Olicity’s back, baby!
Kind of loving the struggle to name the Felicity/Curtis startup. Oliver rejects Bit by Bit as too much like an ‘80s sitcom (he’s not wrong), but even better is the crossed-out name on the brainstorming board: Oracle. A+ DC Comics reference, show! (Mind the comic spoilers at the link).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Arrow 603 review quoted below...

DC TV Watch: Meet 'Legends of Tomorrow's' Newest Team Member
OCTOBER 27, 2017 8:00am PT by Sydney Bucksbaum
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dc-tv-watch-legends-tomorrow-tala-ashe-interview-1052182

Only making it worse | Just when it seemed that Diggle (David Ramsey) was getting better, Arrow showed he's only digging himself into a deeper hole. He's become the Green Arrow officially and seemed to get his aim back (in a visually stunning callback to the series pilot with shooting arrows through bouncing tennis balls), but he's actually buying illegal drugs on the black market and injecting himself with a mysterious solution to stop his hand tremors. He's keeping it a secret from everyone on the team, including Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) who knew about his nerve issues, and whatever he's doing to himself is not going to end well. What will happen when Oliver (Stephen Amell) and the rest of the team find out their new leader is compromised even worse than they could imagine? Will that be enough to bring Oliver back into the field, despite his promises to his son William (Jack Moore)?

Love is in the air | Speaking of William, after Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) helped tutor Oliver's son for a math test, it was clear that they got along better than he and Oliver ever had. Oliver's earlier decision to push Felicity away romantically for the sake of William no longer made sense, and so "Olicity" rekindled their spark and got back together, with Oliver gifting Felicity a key to his apartment. Will this time be forever? All their issues have been resolved and all the secrets are out in the open, so if Arrow is finally going there again, it better stick.

Edited by tv echo

Now we know why Chancellor Agard didn't write EW's Arrow review this week - he was doing Superhero Insider with Natalie Abrams and Kyle Anderson (warning: if you listen to the podcast, they mention upcoming, spoilery stuff for Arrow and the other shows)...

-- Arrow 603: Kyle was really impressed by three action sequences in this episode, especially the fight in the car ("most inventive" one). However, he's still not into Oliver's son. He liked that Rene is now the "level-headed one." He also loved the Diggle/Dinah scenes. Natalie loved the new Wild Dog costume. Kyle noted its similarity to the Deathstroke costume, while Chance noted its similarity to the Vigilante costume. They all marveled over how Rene has become this good character after his bad reception last season. Natalie brought up Olicity finally being back together. (Natalie first misspoke and said "we saw Felicity kill Oliver," before correcting herself and said "kiss Oliver." Freudian slip?)  Regarding Oliver's giving Felicity a key to his apartment, Chance said: "The key to his heart." They noted that no one's keeping any secrets, except for Diggle. Kyle asked if "twitter and the rest of the internet exploded after last night's episode." Natalie replied: "Yes, especially since we had an interview with Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards up as soon as the episode ended. So people were super excited about it." Kyle said that Arrow was getting better in its sixth season.

Superhero Insider: New and returning faces step up on CW's super series
NATALIE ABRAMS OCTOBER 27, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/27/superhero-insider-arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-tomorrow/

“His name is John Diggle, and he is the Green Arrow.” With 11 words, Arrow grew into a show that I never thought it would become. One of the show’s problems has always been the fact that Oliver Queen dominates so much of the show. Even when he’s wrong and being insufferably moody, the series low-key sides with him because he’s the protagonist and carries a lot of weight. What’s great about making Diggle the Green Arrow is that it automatically shifts the show’s balance in a way that gives me confidence for this new chapter in Arrow‘s story. In “Next of Kin,” Diggle receives a truly powerful and compelling story arc (something the show has struggled to give him in the past) about finding the confidence to lead Team Arrow. We know he’s capable of doing it, Oliver knows he’s capable of doing it, and now it’s time for Diggle to work through some crippling self-doubt. And the moment he does in the final confrontation with Onxy is powerful stuff — especially that dynamic and fantastically executed fight scene from inside of a car — because it feels more than earned after spending six years with this character. (The other great thing about having Diggle assume the Green Arrow mantle is that it taps into the defining characteristic of the DC Comics universe: the importance of legacy.) —C.A.
Click below to listen to this week’s Superhero Insider, which airs every Friday at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET on SiriusXM’s Ch. 105, hosted by Kyle Anderson and Natalie Abrams. This week’s episode features special guest Chancellor Agard.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Just Gave Us the Olicity Scene We've Waited Two Years For
By Lindsay Macdonald | Oct 26, 2017 10:00 PM EDT
http://www.tvguide.com/news/arrow-next-of-kin-recap-olicity-kiss/

You know what's nuts? If you actually count backwards to the episode Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) first broke off their engagement, Arrow fans have withstood 610 days of this Olicity breakup. That's pretty freaking brutal. We've done our time though, and now Oliver and Felicity are officially back together; may they never break up because of a secret love child ever again.

Ironically enough, William (Jack Moore) played a huge part in their decision to give things between them another chance in tonight's episode.
Ultimately, this reconciliation didn't feel like an epic, overblown romantic reunion, it just felt like an inevitable meeting of the minds, which was kind of perfect. Fans have been through so much drama and heartbreak where this couple is concerned already, they didn't need a huge, climactic "getting back together" arc. Slow and steady is much more Olicity's pace anyway.

Now that we can stop worrying about that ship though, we can start worrying about what the hell Diggle (David Ramsey) is injecting himself with to stop his arm tremor. Nerve damage doesn't just go away, which means he's medicating with something pretty nasty to make sure he's on his game as the Green Arrow.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Me: (eyeroll) ...

ARROW: "NEXT OF KIN" REVIEW
BYJESSE SCHEEDEN  26 OCT 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/27/arrow-next-of-kin-review

I suspect this episode will prove divisive in terms of the Ollie/Felicity scenes. It definitely appears that the writers are going all-in on Ollicity again. It remains to be seen if that's a wise course of action. But for now, I find their banter charming enough. Having William in the mix seems to help a lot, as it shifts focus from the will they/won't they angle to both characters coming to terms with being parent figures for the first time.

Edited by tv echo

It's great to see EBR doing interviews again. I'm really wondering what happened last year. I don't quite buy the she's not interested in doing interviews bit, it seemed more outside forces (Chico?) driven. Maybe someone higher up finally put their foot down and said no, you can't have the leading lady of the show mute just because your fave got fired? But that may just be my conspiracy theory-loving heart. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

ARROW: "NEXT OF KIN" REVIEW
BYJESSE SCHEEDEN  26 OCT 2017
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/27/arrow-next-of-kin-review

Having William in the mix seems to help a lot, as it shifts focus from the will they/won't they angle to both characters coming to terms with being parent figures for the first time.

Erm, the will they/won't they was answered in this episode. They did and they will continuing doing so together. This is not rocket surgery here.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 9