Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I just watched IMDb's What To Watch of the day. It's ARROW!  The TV editor interviews Messrs. Amell, Haynes, Routh and Barrowman. I'm not sure how to link to it, so if someone can, T.I.A.

If you haven't caught up with Season 3, it contains lightly spoilery stuff. If you're up to the mid-season finale, there is spec (and charming Barrowman.) It runs seven and half-eight minutes.

Do these people not know how to talk to anyone with a vagina on this show? Even Katie would have been nice since she's the one who's going to be in the main spotlight over the next few episodes. The male domination in all of the major media about the show as of late is really starting to grate.

• Love 5

Do these people not know how to talk to anyone with a vagina on this show? Even Katie would have been nice since she's the one who's going to be in the main spotlight over the next few episodes. The male domination in all of the major media about the show as of late is really starting to grate.

These are all from TCAs so KC was the only female they could interview and the interviews were dolled out in groups.  KC did several interviews at TCAs they've been linked in the spoilers only thread.

These are all from TCAs so KC was the only female they could interview and the interviews were dolled out in groups.  KC did several interviews at TCAs they've been linked in the spoilers only thread.

I should have known...basically the snowball effect of the huge TCA blunder, which doesn't necessarily negate my point re: the sparseness of female Arrow actor media exposure. There should have been more women there to do these kinds of interviews. I know Katie did a few, but you can see exactly why this particular interview is a big problem. It's purpose was trying to get IMDB readers to tune into the show via its "What to Watch" segment. Anyone who has never checked the show out basically just saw and heard from a lot of male actors and characters. The female characters shown in the clips during the segment were presented as love interests and side characters.

• Love 1

For this interview, as the interviewer seems fairly intelligent, I prefer SA, CH, BR and JB to KC.  KC would just say the same old "Laurel has a big heart, she's doing it to honor her sister" etc., etc., etc.  The interviewer got some new twists and connections out of SA, BR and JB instead.

• Love 2

How Chuck’s Daniel Shaw and Arrow’s Ray Palmer Are Essentially the Same Character

Let’s play a game. I’m going to describe a character, and you’re going to tell me who it is and what show they’re on. No cheating by looking ahead. Or at the title of this article. Alright so, this character lost his wife, came into the show in the third season, got in the way of the main pairing of the show, and is generally disliked by the fandom. Oh, and he’s played by Brandon Routh. If you’re confused because you can’t think of just one character who fits this description, that’s because there isn’t just one; there’s two. Both Daniel Shaw from Chuck and Ray Palmer from Arrow fit this description. And I’m here to argue how they are not just played by the same actor, but are essentially the same character.

• Love 1

And Daniel Shaw was the biggest and last obstacle to Chuck and Sarah, the main pairing and that was in the 3rd season much like Arrow. Hopefully Olicity is sailing by the end of the season and stays that way

• Love 1

I think Shaw was the last obstacle because it was a stoyline so many people hated and since the show was in danger of being cancelled, I suspect the EPs decided to put Chuck and Sarah together soon rather than not having the chance to do it at all.  Arrow, on the other hand, has been told they have a season 4.

• Love 1

You're probably right cause I loved Chuck and I remember it's ratings weren't great and huge fan support kept it going for two seasons after getting Chuck and Sarah together. I'm glad Arrow got another Season but considering they can't know how long the show will keep going they should get Olicity together soon then make sure the couple doesn't eat the show. Which can be done two examples I know of were Psych and Chuck

• Love 1

Unpopular opinion here but I never got Sarah & Chuck pairing.

It was every geek's ultimate dream that a badass blonde woman would fall in love with him. I understood why Chuck fell for her but I never did get why would she fall for him.

I could not even watch it after first couple of episodes of season 4. The whole coupledom was just too sweet for my teeth, I was getting cavities from it.

I also cannot understand any comparison people make of those two with Olicity. While Oliver and Sarah are quite similar but Felicity is a million miles away from Chuck. She was never the loser, not even in the very first appearance where she literally put Oliver in his place.

• Love 2

Unpopular opinion here but I never got Sarah & Chuck pairing.

It was every geek's ultimate dream that a badass blonde woman would fall in love with him. I understood why Chuck fell for her but I never did get why would she fall for him.

I could not even watch it after first couple of episodes of season 4. The whole coupledom was just too sweet for my teeth, I was getting cavities from it.

I also cannot understand any comparison people make of those two with Olicity. While Oliver and Sarah are quite similar but Felicity is a million miles away from Chuck. She was never the loser, not even in the very first appearance where she literally put Oliver in his place.

In not saying Olicity is exactly like Charah they aren't. Chuck was not a loser and I got how Sarah fell for him she was a "Nerd" and unpopular in high school like he was.

I did like Felicity from the start for reasons like you stated

I understood why Chuck fell for her but I never did get why would she fall for him.

Smart, sweet, attentive, loyal, loving, earnest, fun, dependable, brave, and trustworthy to someone who had never been able to trust anyone.  Nothing special.  :) And that was before he got all the extra super spy skills. 

Plus the show was named after him.  He had to get the girl, lol  

• Love 5

Smart, sweet, attentive, loyal, loving, earnest, fun, dependable, brave, and trustworthy to someone who had never been able to trust anyone.  Nothing special.  :) And that was before he got all the extra super spy skills. 

Thanks for Backing me up! Yes those are all the reasons she fell for him. I loved Charah and the Show! Loved the show first then found myself rooting for Chuck and Sarah to get together

While she fell in love with him for his characteristics (as BkWurm1 pointed out), they stayed together because Sarah found her humanity through Chuck, and Chuck realized he could be something more with Sarah. 

I feel like that's exactly what's going on with Oliver/Felicity

• Love 3

I totally buy the argument that the show was named after him and he had to get the girl, the rest, not so much.

He was like a puppy dog running around her since day one and if a guy does that in real life, I bet most girls would be annoyed as hell. Because the character was played by a good looking and charismatic actor, most people were like Awww how cute. In real life, everyone would run away from someone like Chuck Bartowski. I like his sister and brother-in-law. They were funny.

• Love 1

Thanks for Backing me up! Yes those are all the reasons she fell for him. I loved Charah and the Show! Loved the show first then found myself rooting for Chuck and Sarah to get together

When it comes to comparing the shows, I balk since Felicity and Chuck mostly only share surface characteristics (and that's not even starting in on the vastly different tone between Arrow and Chuck) but I loved Chuck and Sara and adored his friendship with Morgan and his relationship with his sister and actually...I loved the whole damn thing.  Every episode was such a hard fought miracle just having it on my TV.  I didn't even mind the eventual extreme blatant product placement of Subway.  The more in your face, that better I liked it, it cracked me up. 

He was like a puppy dog running around her since day one and if a guy does that in real life, I bet most girls would be annoyed as hell

I won't say you are wrong but HAVING to hang around him let her get to know who he really was so eventually, his puppy dog ways stopped becoming annoying and became endearing (and actually completely stopped).  She was shown to fall for him in part because he was so different than anyone she knew.  I can see why on paper it looks questionable but even in the first season, it no longer felt unreasonable.  It was such a tongue and cheek show though, not everyone's cup of tea...though that just makes me want to push the wonders of tea drinking.  :)

While she fell in love with him for his characteristics (as BkWurm1 pointed out), they stayed together because Sarah found her humanity through Chuck, and Chuck realized he could be something more with Sarah.

Ok, that I can see. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I feel like that's exactly what's going on with Oliver/Felicity

Yes this so much!! This is where Olicity is like Charah. Two of my favourite tv couples ever!

BKwurm1 you pointed out reasons why I loved Chuck

“Felicity has already been made to look bad as a result of poor writing decisions this season – first by so easily falling for Ray’s flashy gifts, and then by having her last words to Oliver be a plea to kill Ra’s al Ghul. Considering the show’s track record of having characters fall utterly off the rails after a loved one dies, from Oliver to Laurel twice, there’s a real risk that Felicity won’t deal with her grief too well either.

-

With the teaser summary for episode 312 stating that Felicity will oppose Roy and Laurel in allowing for Malcolm’s help, the show will likely ultimately have to overrule her – and run the risk of making her look irrational for opposing help that could save the day, regardless of how right she actually is in wanting nothing to do with Malcolm. What’s more, with the additional tease that Felicity may say the line “I don’t want to be a woman you love” at the end of that episode – and Marc Guggenheim’s hint that Olicity shippers might be furious at the end when it’s over – the mind boggles as to what more they could do to her.”

Source

This succinctly depicts all my fears about where the writers are taking Felicity in the next few episodes. 

• Love 2

The flashy gifts comment I understand, but how is asking Oliver to kill Ra's making her look bad? She was basically asking him to do whatever it takes to come back alive.

That part I didn't agree with. But the rest, yes.

I don't agree with the telling Oliver to kill Ra's. She told him to "do whatever it takes" to end it with Slade. Didn't seem OOC at all.

I only question Felicity's reactions to Ray. Everything else I'm cool with.

• Love 1

Katrina Law came in 8th place.  (Still wondering at Zoie Palmer coming in third.)

Arrow also won Best Action or Drama Program, Oliver/Felicity Best Couple, and EBR best guest star for The Flash.  A lot of Arrow fans there.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

I haven't watched the show since the season premiere (fuck you, show!) but there's an interview on IGN about how Roy becomes (sort of) a mentor for Black Canary and it make me so.  FUCKING.  PISSED.

It should be the other fucking way around, goddamn it.

This should be in spoilers I'll reply there :) 

http://uk.eonline.com/news/616846/how-katie-cassidy-helped-create-the-black-canary-s-sexy-but-smart-new-look-on-arrow

Apparently KC helped create the black canary sexy new look.

Ahhh she mucst have watched Edward Scissorshand a lot then.

This interview contains more thoughtless slights against Caity Lotz, as have several of KC's interviews this season and before. I'm sure she doesn't intend them that way--I do think they are/were friendly with each other--but the ways she talks about the show, her character, her fellow castmembers just ends up coming across as...well the kindest interpretation would be that she's just very self-absorbed. That she's so focused on herself and her own character that she pays no attention to other characters, and doesn't realize how condescending and insulting she can sound. 

• Love 11

As for Laurel's sleeker, platinum blonde wig, Cassidy explains, "I begged them, ‘Please don't make me wear a curly blonde wig.' Because the Canary had that and I just wanted Laurel to be more sharp and modern. Sexy, but smart. Just strong."

Please stop talking.

I wanted a dark red lip and dark red nail color. I like the fact that it's dark; I also think it's more feminine. And I want the nail to match the lip," she says, adding that she asked them not to black out her eyes, which almost all of the other heroes on the show do.

No wonder the costume looks terrible in the face. The dark eyes look better with a mask - and, you know, it conceals the identity more. That black mask with the black lip is not a good look. They did Caity much, much better. 

• Love 14

I find it completely telling that KC cares more about the suit and the wig and her nail and lip color than she seemingly does about good writing for her character. I'm so over it it's not even funny.

Edited by Guest
But she also totally agreed with the reason why the producers have held off. "I think it makes complete sense. You can't just overnight become a superhero. It took Oliver five years on the Island and everything he went through."

I get the impression that KC has NO idea what the character of Oliver actually went through during those years that he was away.  I think that people were correct when they speculated that maybe she only reads her lines in the script and nothing else so she's not familiar with any of the backstory.   

• Love 3

I find it completely telling that KC cares more about the suit and the wig and her nail and lip color than she seemingly does about good writing for her character. I'm so over it it's not even funny.

Yeah, just the comment about the wig and how she wanted it to be "sexy and strong." Like the curly wig somehow made Sara weak? And of all the shit that Laurel's SWF-ing from her sister, the wig is what you were worried about? But, she's got a dark red lip and a matching nail, so I guess it's all good.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

I posted this in the Spoiler Discussion thread, but I think it also belongs here. So here's my caffeine withdrawal rant:

There is so much wrong with it that I am having trouble even understanding it. So she wanted the Black Canary's lipstick to match the nail polish...Because every time she suits up she's not only going to do up all of those buckles, but she's also going to paint her nails and put on lipstick?

And she wanted the suit to be "sexy and modern" I'm not the biggest Sara fan (too much too fast imo) but Sara's costume was already sexy and modern. She had the boobs on full display, and the fishnets were incorporated into the leather pants (as said by the costume designer).

"And while the producers originally didn't go for her preferred look, Cassidy says, "We went in and pled our case, and were like, ‘Look, it's a masculine outfit. This face and hair make it a bit more feminine.' It's pretty, I thought it looked the best."

So basically she is getting whatever she wants?? Well Katie, as long as you think you look pretty while fighting who cares if it's realistic right?

As for Laurel's sleeker, platinum blonde wig, Cassidy explains, "I begged them, ‘Please don't make me wear a curly blonde wig.' Because the Canary had that and I just wanted Laurel to be more sharp and modern. Sexy, but smart. Just strong."

This is wrong too. Why is it that straight blonde hair is still considered "sexy" but curly hair isn't? She wants to be better than the Canary, but only in looks. Who cares if she has the skills. I can't. I honestly can't. I've tried, lord knows I've tried, but Katie Cassidy you are making me dislike your character and you are making me dislike you. I hated Sara, but I also think that Caity Lotz deserved so much better than what the show did and because of how she come across in interviews, and how she interacts with the fans and the cast she's made wish that they didn't kill Sara. But Katie Cassidy seems to be doing the exact opposite.

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 7

Please stop talking.

This kind of says it all.  We used to comment on how little p.r. she does for the show, but now that she's doing it, she does her character no favors.

Good to know we'll be getting lace and fishnets too "'Because the Black Canary wore fishnets,' Cassidy explains"

So basically she is getting whatever she wants?? Well Katie, as long as you think you look pretty while fighting who cares if it's realistic right?

To her, the look is the character.  I can't believe they really okayed that ridiculous costume but maybe they did it to stop her talking about Laurel and Oliver being soulmates.

This interview contains more thoughtless slights against Caity Lotz, as have several of KC's interviews this season and before. I'm sure she doesn't intend them that way--I do think they are/were friendly with each other--but the ways she talks about the show, her character, her fellow castmembers just ends up coming across as...well the kindest interpretation would be that she's just very self-absorbed. That she's so focused on herself and her own character that she pays no attention to other characters, and doesn't realize how condescending and insulting she can sound. 

I think she is, not self-absorbed in a mean way where other people don't matter, but unaware of what's going on around her with other people because she doesn't put herself in their shoes.  Oliver was just away at the beach for five years. Sara chose to belong to a group of bad people.

• Love 3

"And while the producers originally didn't go for her preferred look, Cassidy says, "We went in and pled our case, and were like, ‘Look, it's a masculine outfit. This face and hair make it a bit more feminine.' It's pretty, I thought it looked the best."

I wonder what the original look was that that was the more feminine option? Wear makeup while you kick ass or don't, I don't care. But that mask and the severe hair and severe lipstick makes that already harsh looking outfit look harsh as HELL

• Love 3

Wow. So she really is going for the whole 'alter ego' thing, then? Because Laurel Lance is none of those things. Is this the full extent to which Cassidy thinks about her character and motivations? What she wears and what her hair looks like? I think there's more that goes into making a character feel real than the tightness of her leather.

I really cannot wait for Caity Lotz to get another gig and show Katie Cassidy just what "sexy, but smart. Just strong" really looks like. Marvel, please hire this woman.

• Love 2

I was right in thinking KC wanted her BC to make a fashion statement instead of you know just fighting crime. It also looks like she doesn't think at all about the other characters or their stories. Oliver and Sara went through hell and came out damaged and tortured. What she says about them sounds like they had a tough time on their 5/6 year long vacation and the things Laurel went through with her sometimes drug/alcohol addiction is exactly the same. So she totally deserves to be a hero just like them. Even thought it doesn't appear she has any motivation besides superficial ones, 

With the costumes, somehow even with Sara's boobs out in full display, Laurel's costume looks more like a dominatrix outfit. 

• Love 6

Yeah, sorry, but the more she opens her mouth, the more I resent her becoming BC. I mean, Sara was killed so she could be made relevant, not because Laurel earned it but because her name is Laurel and comics but as long as her hair and make-up is ok, KC clearly doesn't care. Seriously. I'm so done. 

Oh man, everything I disliked about her costume is all her. hilarious! It's comforting that the EPs did not like it at first. at least that's something.

I know - that's what I thought. That wig and the heavy makeup is just horrible. :(

• Love 1

I just can't stop laughing at the idea that the Black Canary wears fingerless gloves so her nail polish and lipstick can match.

I remember the feminist protest marches for equal rights. Good to know it wasn't all in vain.

• Love 15

Sara was fighting for women being controlled by men, Laurel is fighting so women can have matching lipstick and nail polish. 

One of the things I liked about Sara is she wasn't hung up what she looked like. I'm sure not being able to shower for over a year helped with that. But that was one thing that she was not at all concerned with. 

• Love 4