The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

S3E5: The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak - 2.73/1.1

S3E4: The Magician - 2.49/1.0

S3E3: Corto Maltese - 2.55/0.9

S3E2: Sara - 2.32/0.8

S3E1: The Calm - 2.83/1.0

These numbers are trying to tell the producers something.

• Love 7

Some more reviews (I've pulled out some nice bits about Felicity)...

Felicity Smoak has become the heart and soul of the CW version of the DC Universe, serving as an inspiration to two heroes, The Flash and Arrow. The dark and driven Oliver Queen has expressed his love and admiration for Felicity on more than one occasion, as has the bright and hopeful Barry Allen. She has no superpowers, but Felicity Smoak has made a difference in the DC Universe.

Arrow’ Recap: ‘The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak’
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/11/06/arrow-recap-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak/

When you stop to consider the many benefits that Felicity Smoak – due in large part to the charming, vibrant, and often very funny performance of Emily Bett Rickards – brings to the average episode of Arrow (and after last week, The Flash), it’s a little surprising to think that the character hasn’t been in the spotlight until now.

Arrow’: Hacker or Hero?
http://screenrant.com/arrow-season-3-episode-5-reviews-felicity-goth-origin/

Where Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity) really shines is the audience is so invested in her, whether it’s anger, resentment, or just a plain emotional cry-fest, we take the ride with her and she just keeps grounding the show; she had a great scene with her mom truly digging into their personalities and pulling all that extraneous stuff to the surface- the exact conversation many people wish they would have with their own parents.

Arrow Season 3 Episode 5 Review – ‘The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak’
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/11/arrow-season-3-episode-5-review-secret-origin-felicity-smoak.html

What’s more impressive is that the writers manage to make a Felicity-heavy installment without it feeling like blatant fan pandering. Sure, there are some great Felicity one-liners (as the situation worsens, she exclaims, “I am running out of expletives!”), but overall the episode does succeed at touching upon multiple layers to the character—both dramatic and comedic. If it weren’t obvious already, this entry makes it clear that Felicity is one of the best characters on TV.

Arrow Review: “The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak”
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/11/arrow-review-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak.html

It’s hard to imagine the Felicity of season one disarming Cooper and knocking him on the ground, indicating there has continued to be transformation past the college days, Felicity’s personality not fully decided in the flashbacks. She has benefitted from working for Team Arrow as much as Team Arrow has benefitted from her skills. She has really come into her own, and while I don’t see her going superhero anytime soon, she’s an independent lady who deserves attention and respect.

ARROW Recap Season 3 Episode 5 The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak
http://www.seat42f.com/arrow-recap-season-3-episode-5-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak.html

That’s the beauty of the Olicity dynamic. Not only has Felicity changed Oliver for the better but Oliver has changed Felicity, he’s made her believe that she can be more than just an IT girl. Now, she’s a hacker AND a hero.

Arrow S03 E05 recap: Emily Bett Rickards shines as we learn more about Felicity’s past
http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/arrow-recap-spoilers-5-awesome-moments-secret-origin-felicity-smoak/

Too much?  To quote Steve Rogers, "I can do this all day."  (Not really.)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 16

Some more reviews (I've pulled out some nice bits about Felicity)...

Arrow’ Recap: ‘The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak’

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/11/06/arrow-recap-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak/

Arrow’: Hacker or Hero?

http://screenrant.com/arrow-season-3-episode-5-reviews-felicity-goth-origin/

Arrow Season 3 Episode 5 Review – ‘The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak’

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2014/11/arrow-season-3-episode-5-review-secret-origin-felicity-smoak.html

Arrow Review: “The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak”

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/11/arrow-review-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak.html

ARROW Recap Season 3 Episode 5 The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak

http://www.seat42f.com/arrow-recap-season-3-episode-5-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak.html

Arrow S03 E05 recap: Emily Bett Rickards shines as we learn more about Felicity’s past

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/arrow-recap-spoilers-5-awesome-moments-secret-origin-felicity-smoak/

Too much?  To quote Steve Rogers, "I can do this all day."  (Not really.)

I love the reviewers are seeing more than a distraction from Oliver and Laurel or a behind the desk IT girl.  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 2

EPs may still be into their 3A story arc, and really it's already filmed, but I bet the CW are taking note of the ratings all the positive buzz being generated.

3B should be interesting if these trends continue.

• Love 3

This article points out DC Comics, pop culture and other trivia references - really interesting stuff...

ARROW ANNOTATIONS - S03E05 "THE SECRET ORIGIN OF FELICITY SMOAK"
Written by Christian Hoffer on Thursday, November 06 2014
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/features/129602-arrow-annotations-s03e05-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak.html

These reviews are a bit more negative (but have some funny bits)...

ARROW: THE SECRET ORIGIN OF FELICITY SMOAK
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/11/arrow-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak/

Arrow season 3 episode 5 review: The Secret Origin Of Felicity Smoak
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/arrow/32841/arrow-season-3-episode-5-review-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak

Arrow’ Review: “The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak
http://screencrush.com/arrow-review-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-smoak/

Arrow Season 3 Episode 5 Review: The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/11/arrow-season-3-episode-5-review-the-secret-origin-of-felicity-sm/

That's it - I'm done!

Edited by tv echo

I think my main point about the ratings - I am not making any assumptions either - and 3.06 in particular is that just because the main thing I liked about the show was Team Arrow + Quentin doesn't mean that people aren't going to tune in. If the ratings don't drop significantly then I think Laurel will remain front and center unfortunately and Felicity will be joining Diggle in the background again.

S3 so far:

301 - heavily promoted as Olicity episode comes back, up from S2 finale and S2 premiere in both demo and viewers

302 - post Sara death and heavily promoted as the Laurel episode, drops two tenthd to 0.8 and close to a series low in viewers...

303 - promoted as Diggle and Thea centric up against the WS and increases in viewers/demo especially male demo (Diggle has traditionally brought in the men) but still down from season premiere.

304 - promoted as Merlyn/Thea and Nyssa centric and first glimpse at Ra's Al Ghul (although, they didn't promote Ra's much as I expected) ratings finally get back to S2 premiere in demo, still lower in viewers.

305 - Season high (so far) in demo, only slightly lower in viewers. Highest demo since 211 (which I believe is due to Bronze Tiger/Michael Jai White since 202 had same demo).

I have no idea what 306 will do, so I'm ignoring it for now. However, I find it hard to believe that the network's takeaway from 301-305 is to push Felicity and Diggle into the background. If anything I would expect the network to look at these numbers and go give me more Felicity, Diggle and Thea/Malcolm.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

I have no idea what 306 will do, so I'm ignoring it for now. However, I find it hard to believe that the network's takeaway from 301-305 is to push Felicity and Diggle into the background. If anything I would expect the network to look at these numbers and go give me more Felicity, Diggle and Thea/Malcolm.

I also find it odd that people claim Diggle has been pushed into the background when (according to Cylon) 301-304 Diggle had more screentime then Felicity. It goes Oliver, Diggle, Felicity, Laurel in screen time with; Oliver having the clear majority of screentime and Felicity having 4 more minutes then Laurel and obviously Diggle having more then both (not sure how much).

I agree about the network but changes take time. They are shooting about 5 episodes ahead.

To me, Diggle appears to be in the background a lot. I know he is a supporting character but he often seems to just be in scenes standing around with no real purpose. I guess what I miss the most is the Oliver/Diggle/Felicity dynamic. Some of Felicity's screen time is with Ray Palmer and I tend to forget he's there because I find BR appeals to me just as much as KC which is not at all. That said I am curious as to what Ray Palmer is up to...just not in Ray Palmer. LOL!

ETA: The problem with 3.02 heavily promoted as Laurel-centric dropping off is in some ways unfair to blame it on promotion. There were a lot of viewers who were furious about Sara's death. Even if Olicity had been promoted - and they had a good share of the screen time-would it have made a difference? Maybe. Maybe not.

Edited by Sunshine

I'm kinda surprised at how they are doing sweeps this year. I agree with putting Felicity's backstory in the mix (two years of build up), but I would have thought they would have put Sara's death and The Flash crossover in the mix. Maybe even have moved Malcolm and Ra's deeper in November. A Grant-Centic episode is an odd choice, as is the Cupid two-episode arc (even though I am looking forward to Cupid's big episode). 

In regards to the ratings/demo, there was also a huge buzz campaign from the fans to promote 3x05. The CW has to be taking note of all this.

Another review - I don't think it's been posted here yet:

http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/arrow-starts-yet-another-season-stumbling-laurel-lance

Thank you for posting this link!!! A very good review IMO. I especially like the following comment: "There's only so many times we can see Oliver shut himself down and keep himself from happiness, as he's trying to do regarding Felicity this year, before it becomes repetitive and aggravating. Likewise, there's only so much to get out of Laurel being bitter and screwed up in the pre-ordained process of becoming a hero". THIS!!!

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 2

Thank you for posting this link!!! A very good review IMO. I especially like the following comment: "There's only so many times we can see Oliver shut himself down and keep himself from happiness, as he's trying to do regarding Felicity this year, before it becomes repetitive and aggravating. Likewise, there's only so much to get out of Laurel being bitter and screwed up in the pre-ordained process of becoming a hero". THIS!!!

Exactly - this whole section resonated with me as well. 

• Love 1

I liked 

Laurel is actually acting more like the Oliver of early Season One, back when he was a killer actively trying to bury his humanity -- and back before Diggle and Felicity reawakened it. Perhaps Laurel going through the same dark crucible will ultimately pay off in the same way. Yet at this moment, it feels more like repetition than anything else, both in having a dark origin for a hero and in having Laurel consumed by grief-stricken fury yet again.

Both Oliver and Laurel are characters who are particularly vulnerable to these traps, which makes them among the most frustrating characters of Arrow. There's only so many times we can see Oliver shut himself down and keep himself from happiness, as he's trying to do regarding Felicity this year, before it becomes repetitive and aggravating. Likewise, there's only so much to get out of Laurel being bitter and screwed up in the pre-ordained process of becoming a hero -- and the hope was that last year's failures with her would have taught the Arrow writers that. Yet instead, they are making the same mistakes all over again, even if it isn't as bad as in past years quite yet.

And that the Arrow writers need to be warned off getting Oliver and Laurel back together again.

It's a smart analysis of the show, and from a respected source.  I hope the EPs are listening.

• Love 3

Check out this person's reviews. It's like we share the same mind except this person is far more eloquent than I ever dream to be. She hits the nail on the head about Arrow losing its groove and how killing Sara just for the sake of plot is just ridiculous and a misstep on the writer's part. I personally agree. While some would say that Sara being killed was for Laurel's character development, I disagree. We haven't seen Laurel's character develop at all. Her arc is quite possibly the most contrived and 'written'. It doesn't seem natural considering she moved from grief to rage in a matter of hours. I'm SO SO SO trying to like Laurel. There are parts where I think 'huh, I might actually like her', then the writers just ruin it by making her do something stupid. I hope episode 6 is where we start to see her being written consistently and naturally. Anyways, yeah, check them out!

http://wewatchfortheplot.wordpress.com/tag/arrow/

Felicity's line about needing more than watching Oliver on the salmon ladder to trust him from The Flash made Sound Bites in this week's Entertainment Weekly. There's also an article about all the shows filmed in Vancouver with a section on Arrow. I tried to find them on ew.com but failed. 

From the Access Hollywood Interview:

I have to laugh at the fact that they think KC's journey is a "slow burn" because I think it is all happening way too fast.  Also laughing at his response to the reaction to Laurel this season.  "Split and divided" is putting it mildly, I think.  Just my opinion of course.  Also from the interview:

Laurel's always been a little bit difficult to connect with the main plot of the show because up until the end of last year, she wasn't in on Oliver's secret. So, it's always been a struggle to find story for her, just as it's a struggle to find story for any of the characters who are not in the circle of trust. I'm just excited that people are talking about it and I do think that there's been a lot of really positive reaction to it and we're only just getting going. We're really at the beginning of Laurel's journey, not the end, and that's exciting.

I hear this one a lot as an excuse for Laurel and why people don't like her.  I mean, isn't that a fucking problem that you've created a character but have no purpose for her?  When you are having to bend over backwards to insert someone into the story, maybe you should just cut your damn losses?

• Love 7

From a PR standpoint, though, that is some A+ spin Guggenheim is doing. He admits there's a lot of hate online for a character that the audience is not supposed to hate, while at the same time pretty much saying that negative buzz on social media is just as valuable as positive buzz.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 3

As long as folks keep tweeting about the character, debating her relevance and filling pages and pages of forums/boards (quick guess on which character has the most replies in this forum. anyone?) that character will be a part of the show (even if they have to bend over backwards and shaft other characters to make way). What did Stephen say about apathy? That that's the one they are worried about? The show would rather have somebody getting negative feedback because it's still feedback. So yeah, don't like a character? Don't talk about them. Pretend they don't exist. Maybe if they don't hear about the character, the show will finally get the message.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 5

With all due respect to Stephen Amell, there are characters you love to hate, and then there are characters  you just plain hate.  And if there is more of characters you hate, you're not going to watch any more.

The fact that she wasn't in on Oliver's secret wasn't the problem -- the problem was why she couldn't be in on it (e.g. Oliver didn't trust her, she doesn't listen to anyone else).

• Love 10

Well, at least now we know how the arrow after show is going to go.

What's the bet that Amell 'convinces' John that Laurel as black canary is worth watching.

Saves John from having to make good on his promise not to watch if Laurel is Black Canary and gives Stephen an opportunity to spin the 'she is going to struggle' bit.

• Love 2

I would call BS if Campea comes around to LL as BC. He is such a big Sara fan and has no time for LL. For him to suddenly be on board with the plot would look horrible for his show.

SA is pretty, but he isn't that pretty.

I would call BS if Campea comes around to LL as BC. He is such a big Sara fan and has no time for LL. For him to suddenly be on board with the plot would look horrible for his show.

SA is pretty, but he isn't that pretty.

Lol, yeah I don't think he'll be on board, but it does allow a window for backtracking.

It might look horrible for him to keep watching - but at least he would still have a show!

Well, at least now we know how the arrow after show is going to go.

What's the bet that Amell 'convinces' John that Laurel as black canary is worth watching.

Saves John from having to make good on his promise not to watch if Laurel is Black Canary and gives Stephen an opportunity to spin the 'she is going to struggle' bit.

I have only watched John's thing only once and I got irritated by the two girls he hosts with. So, I didn't go back to it. However, I got the feeling that he changed his opinion about ever giving up on this show after he gushed about all the Arrow actors he met at comic con. I don't think he will stop watching Arrow too or he would say something about waiting too see it happen before he can give it up. 

I have only watched John's thing only once and I got irritated by the two girls he hosts with. So, I didn't go back to it. However, I got the feeling that he changed his opinion about ever giving up on this show after he gushed about all the Arrow actors he met at comic con. I don't think he will stop watching Arrow too or he would say something about waiting too see it happen before he can give it up. 

As recently as the last after show John has said he will stop watching the show if Laurel becomes BC. It's not like something he said a long time ago, it's very recent lol. But again I'm sure he was just being melodramatic.  

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

The comments are funny. I liked the one that said the reviewer was supposed to post a review that matched the comments and because he didn't like the episode he failed at his job. Lol

ETA: Campea isn't backing down huh? I didn't want him too but that has to be cringe worthy to watch.

Edited by 10Eleven12