Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: Happily Ever After? Yeah, Right!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Probably a big one: I'm more interested in what happens with Zelena and Regina next season than Hook and Emma. I enjoyed the fact that Hook and Emma were pretty central to the entire season, but I'll be glad if they take a backseat for a while now.

I agree with you on Hook and Emma taking a backseat next season. I just want them to be able to relax for five minutes. While I want to see the fallout from this episode in regards to Regina and Zelena, I don't necessarily want them to be the focus next season either. I'd actually like to see the Charmings come to the forefront, along with Henry, the Dwarfs, and Granny.

Seriously, A&E, I still haven't forgiven you for teasing me with Granny and the Dwarfs in Camelot and then doing precisely dick with them.

• Love 5

My UO is 

I consider  shipwar silly and I do not believe that change the direction of the showrunner had planned. I hate that they seem to want to play on already existant conflit like it appear they are doing now.

I came to the conclusion that fandom and G A are too différent too have conclusion on such a  thing as who the character is really more popular.  But
Everyday I see people decrate that their favorite character or fav. ship are the only reason people watch the show for.
And that trend is every where I looked
Castle, sleepy hollow,last year Mc Dreamy and even in Outlander there fans  hating on Claire for being mean to Jamie.

But, in reality most people watch for the overall story and follow how the story unfold even if a particular character got sideline or is dead.
Except maybe for show like Castle or sleepy hollow because it is a duo show.

I have no idea wish character in the G. A are the real favorite because it is probably diverse and not so much important as he is in fandom.
 I have much more in commun with the G.A than the overinvestment of the fandom. In fact I consideration myself part of the G.A with a lightly involment in CS fandom.

So, all this fuss are probably for nothing if sleepy hollow  and castle can survive without their real co-lead Once can survive without Robin or if Rumple and Regina really gone bad. ( not that I believe that the case)

• Love 5

Emma gets to keep her boyfriend, despite making a stupid decision.  Emma hardly ever experience any consequences of her actions or decisions.  She's the Teflon Swan.  And for reasons that still astounds me, A&E seems determined to keep the "Savior" label stuck on her, despite the fact that she should have tossed it away after the first curse was broken.

The reason Emma is not well cared for by the writers is that they will not really allow her to grow.  They won't allow her to learn from her mistakes and crimes.  She is a character who is in need of redemption and yet is portrayed as someone who doesn't really need it.  She is a badly written character.

1 hour ago, CTrent29 said:

The reason Emma is not well cared for by the writers is that they will not really allow her to grow.  They won't allow her to learn from her mistakes and crimes.  She is a character who is in need of redemption and yet is portrayed as someone who doesn't really need it.  She is a badly written character.

Just curious--which of Emma's moral failings do you think have been insufficiently dealt with?  Interested in elaborating?

• Love 2

Here, a real uo!

Not interested in any new character becoming regular not even Hyde. Nil! 

In fact, I will like for some of them to be recuring Belle, Zelena... Not new canon ship next season either. Already too ship oriented for my taste as it is. Just try to tell a good story and use the ensemble you have.

• Love 6

Regarding CS stuff: It's not about the screen time for me. You can tell by the results of the new poll that most people want this to be the Captain Swan show and this I find annoying. I started out really liking Hook and Emma, but all the fan attention turned me off them. I went through the same deal on TWoP's Charmed forum with some people wanting it to be the Chris show.

I don't like it being the Regina show either. I would like a well-balanced show. Season 1 did it great. They have many great characters and actors. Spread it around a little more. I'm all for new characters, if they serve a purpose and not just a name drop.

• Love 6

I just want well-written stories for every character. Yes, there are certain pairings that literally make me throw pillows at the screen (I'm looking at you Regina and Emma), but for the most part, I just want a good ensemble show. Season 3 remains my favorite season and that was probably the most balanced in terms of showing off all the regular cast members.

• Love 7

I don't want the CaptainSwan show either. I'm happy with their development as it is. Will I be there for a CS engagement or wedding? You bet! But I'll be fine if they fade into the background for a bit, as long as we know they're happy. I'm really hoping A&E stick by their words and focus on the rest of Storybrooke next season.

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't want the CS show either and while I agree that sometimes the CS adoration around here is a bit much, I do sincerely think the problem is that from 3B and onward this show has been so poorly written overall that CS being comparatively well written is magnified even more: it's like a bright shining light in a sea of darkness, and that leads to the reaction it gets around here.  It also leads to the hate it gets elsewhere, because people who don't like it are jealous that it's getting the good stuff.  The solution to the problem would be to keep writing CS exactly as is, but also find a way to write everything else on a similar level of quality.  That way, there's balance, including in fan reaction (both positive and negative).

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 5

No character should take a back seat. A&E must focus on telling a much better story that supports the characters they already have.

They disrespect and abuse their characters, their viewers and the ad nauseam stated mantra of hope.

• Love 5

I doubt this opinion will be that unpopular, but let's not make every character that comes on the show related to someone else. That's probably why they decided to keep Violet, to avoid accidental inbreeding.

• Love 7

My unpopular opinion is that I actually prefer both Emma and Hook when they are not a couple.

I would have preferred Neil to be Emma's OTL and Mila to be Hooks. I guess Neil couldn't be because then Henry would be a product of true love and Emma wouldn't be as special since she's apparently the only baby ever to have been born of true love since they used to make a huge deal about that back when this show was still on the rails. And I just think that Hook and Mila staying together would have pissed Rump off and anything that makes him miserable makes me happy because I have gone from finding Rump a fun villain to doing anything but watching the show as soon as he shows up on screen. I love Robert Carlyle as much as the next person but I have had beyond enough of that character.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I doubt this opinion will be that unpopular, but let's not make every character that comes on the show related to someone else. That's probably why they decided to keep Violet, to avoid accidental inbreeding.

A&E probably took their familial relation cues from Star Wars. There's plenty of joking around about that too. Now that I think about it... a LOT of Star Wars characters share elements with Once. You could write a whole post about the parallels.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I don't know if this is unpopular, but I really wish they had kept Regina and Emma enemies/reluctant co-parents longer. I liked their relationship so much more when they didn't like each other and Emma didn't have to tip-toe around Regina's feelings. I also think it could set up some interesting dynamics. Imagine how Emma would feel about the Snow/Regina relationship and how that might impact theirs. What if Emma and Hook could both be snarky to Regina. I don't know, it's just kind of boring with everyonel being buddies with each other.

• Love 14
On May 21, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Kktjones said:

I don't know if this is unpopular, but I really wish they had kept Regina and Emma enemies/reluctant co-parents longer. I liked their relationship so much more when they didn't like each other and Emma didn't have to tip-toe around Regina's feelings.

It would have been a lot more realistic and probably more entertaining if they had kept Emma and Regina's "friendship" on the same trajectory as Hook and Charming. It's Season 6 and Charming finally recognized that he might kind of enjoy Hook's presence. And Hook didn't even curse David for 28 years and leave him an orphan. How in the hell do Emma and Regina's "friendship" go faster than those two?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Curio said:

It would have been a lot more realistic and probably more entertaining if they had kept Emma and Regina's "friendship" on the same trajectory as Hook and Charming. It's Season 6 and Charming finally recognized that he might kind of enjoy Hook's presence. And Hook didn't even curse David for 28 years and leave him an orphan.

Yes, but he did date his daughter :)

(edited)
7 hours ago, Curio said:

It would have been a lot more realistic and probably more entertaining if they had kept Emma and Regina's "friendship" on the same trajectory as Hook and Charming.

I definitely agree that this would have made much more sense than the insta-BFF thing they went for in Season 4, but I would be even more interested in something like the Hook/Rumple dynamic. So a situation where they didn't like each other, and didn't really trust each other, but reluctantly worked together when circumstances dictated it. Maybe a little like Hook and Rumple in Season 3. I just get bored with all the main characters being "family" which means next to no conflict between them. I know it would never happen and I'm probably in the minority, but I think it could be more entertaining...

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 2

I love the Hook/Rumple dynamic. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, but I consider Carlyle and O'Donoghue to be the two strongest actors in the cast, followed by Parilla. People don't like shoving Regina and Hook in scenes -- I freaking love it, because he's so natural, and she's so committed, and I find watching them play off each other exceedingly enjoyable. Hook/Rumple is the best, followed by Rumple/Regina and Regina/Hook. Give me all the great acting.

My unpopular opinion is I don't think Jennifer Morrison is that...great. She's fine. She's not terrible. But I think she's limited. Generic. I like Emma in scenes with her family, because I think she has to stretch a little more -- or even scenes with an adversary. But in terms of acting, I don't see her dynamic here with Hook as much different than Cameron (her previous character on House) with Chase. I think she plays all romantic scenes in the same way, and they're sort of...blah, to me. My absolute favorite Emma/Hook scenes were last season's finale -- because Morrison was stretching more to play a different kind of Emma. Otherwise, I think O'Donoghue picks up that relationship and carries it on his shoulders, chemistry-wise.

I'd been trying to figure out why I didn't like this relationship, and I really think it's because I've never really liked Emma. On paper, I should like Emma, but Morrison just doesn't do it for me. I've read interviews where she seems very thoughtful, very committed, but I just get so little of that onscreen. On paper, Emma should be damaged and prickly and trying to heal. Onscreen, I see someone who scowls a lot and always looks tired. I thought Dark Swan -- who could've been frightening or at least interesting in another actress' hands -- came across as a sort of sullen teenager. I think Morrison is smart and gets it, but I feel like she often goes for subtle and it comes out as "meh." At least for me.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I think she plays all romantic scenes in the same way, and they're sort of...blah, to me.

You know... I think you may have a point there. I never really thought about it much before because, while I like Emma just fine, I was never into shipping her with anyone. I always blamed it entirely on the writing because OUAT has a way of making 99% of their romantic dynamics completely bland and generic, especially in the long run, and the writing for Emma and Hook always felt too generic and tropish for my tastes as well. (I imagine that's an unpopular opinion on this board. ;-)) But beyond that I guess I'm also not feeling the kind of spark that may sell you on a pairing even if the writing for them isn't all that and maybe that's what's been missing all this time on the performance level as well. I'm gonna have to pay a bit more attention to that when I rewatch some episodes during the hiatus. But I definitely *feel* more when watching Morrison play Emma's other, familial/platonic dynamics as well.

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I love the Hook/Rumple dynamic. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, but I consider Carlyle and O'Donoghue to be the two strongest actors in the cast, followed by Parilla. People don't like shoving Regina and Hook in scenes -- I freaking love it, because he's so natural, and she's so committed, and I find watching them play off each other exceedingly enjoyable. Hook/Rumple is the best, followed by Rumple/Regina and Regina/Hook. Give me all the great acting.

My unpopular opinion is I don't think Jennifer Morrison is that...great. She's fine. She's not terrible. But I think she's limited. Generic. I like Emma in scenes with her family, because I think she has to stretch a little more -- or even scenes with an adversary. But in terms of acting, I don't see her dynamic here with Hook as much different than Cameron (her previous character on House) with Chase. I think she plays all romantic scenes in the same way, and they're sort of...blah, to me. My absolute favorite Emma/Hook scenes were last season's finale -- because Morrison was stretching more to play a different kind of Emma. Otherwise, I think O'Donoghue picks up that relationship and carries it on his shoulders, chemistry-wise.

I agree about Regina and Hook. In general, Rumpel/Regina scenes are among the best of any episode they're present. Especially when taking into account the history between the two characters, their interactions are fun to watch.

I think O'Donoghue just has chemistry in spades. No matter who he's acting with (Emma, Regina, Arthur, Rumpel, Charming, even Milah whose actress I don't care for, etc.), there's always sparks. I think this is the only reason Emma/Hook works. Morrison's scenes with most of her other possible love interests in season 1 (August and The Huntsman) and especially Neal were incredibly flat. Not that I think she's a bad actor by any means; she brings all the depth of her character onscreen and Emma is one of my favorites on the show, but romantic interactions aren't her strength. I actually thought Hook was for sure going to be Regina's love interest when he first appeared on the show. His chemistry with her during the episode he tries to kill Belle in Regina's tower was off the charts.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

U. Ô.  I believe that A. and E. have now ruin their original plan about Rumple because of fanservice. I know a lot of people here still see Rumple as the clear antogonist who will clairly  revel himself and his logic narrative him self is either a life sacrafice à la Darth Vador or stay the big bad. 

But all see is because of his fans and Rumbelle fans he just not the moral grey character of the show. The writer's make choice to try to writing  him in a way these fans can still exploit his behavior in a good light with a little graspingouin when needed. But in doing so Rumple cannot never go in darker water that will make him unforgetable.

Instead we have this bad soap opera on one side and other character see him as vilain. And him being hush hush!

• Love 2

New  UO. 

I really like Zelena so mu better that Regina that I wish she was the one of the sister to have the biggest role of the two next season.

Not happening I know but the truth is I found her character more fun, impredictable and I can sympathise more with her. She just always wanted be love but ending up always the reject and unwanted. 

I also find Bex stunning, fun and real good at her job which is to make us like Zelena and care for her.

Still mostly here for the Charming clan and CS but I did grew to like Zelena and hope she has her own little crazy story. Lastly I cannot help to notice the lack of buzz for the suppose Regina season I think it show that she is overate. 

• Love 3

I have no idea if those two opinion are popular or not here. 

But, I want nothing less than the Lily father search to be a important storyline. In fact, I am fine with completely dropping the storyline. There too much about the main character that can be exploring (Hook's mother or past, Emma's why she is even before the Curse has happened for Merlin, Snow back to be bad ass...)

And no, to a more focus on Henry and Violet or whatever their ship name is. Funny how people complain about too much romance but always ask new romantic pairing. So contrary! 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

Even with Robin's death, Regina didn't seem to blame her sister at all for bringing Hades there and leaving the baby with him for whatever reason. And Regina always blames everyone else for everything. 

It would have been completely illogical for her to blame anything on Zelena since she encouraged the relationship, and put the baby back in her arms without consulting Robin.

But Zelena, far better character. At least she doesn't pretend to be what she's not. She owns who she is, and what she is.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

Redemption is great, but I don't want her to lose her fire to become a cheerleader for Regina.   

Totally. I'm personally hoping Zelena and Hook remain in the I'll-work-with-you-but-still-call-you-out-on-your-bullshit club for the rest of the series. Especially since they're blood sisters, Regina is pretty much stuck with Zelena for life no matter how terrible Zelena might be to her. 

2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

It would have been completely illogical for her to blame anything on Zelena since she encouraged the relationship, and put the baby back in her arms without consulting Robin.

Was it logical for Regina to blame Emma for temporarily breaking her and Robin up by saving Marian from being killed by Regina, even though Emma was actually doing Regina a favor by changing history and making it so that Robin's wife wasn't murdered by his current girlfriend? Logic and Regina are two words that tend to never go together.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Curio said:

Was it logical for Regina to blame Emma for temporarily breaking her and Robin up by saving Marian from being killed by Regina, even though Emma was actually doing Regina a favor by changing history and making it so that Robin's wife wasn't murdered by his current girlfriend? Logic and Regina are two words that tend to never go together.

But that's the thing isn't it? Emma brought Marian back, so Regina can blame her, like she blamed Snow for Daniel's death for so long, or whatever. But Regina never blames herself for anything even though she's clearly the one to blame in this scenario. For me it just shows how little conscience she has. She even blames the Evil Queen for doing things for being part of her even though she is her.

This is why I hate that they split her into two people. 

• Love 1

This discussion would have fit really well in the abandoned Zelena thread.  I doubt Zelena will lose her "fire", because the Writers love writing their snark for her and that was the reason why they brought her back as a regular.  I'm sure they'll continue the bantering between Regina and Zelena.  

• Love 1

Ok that a big one for someone who dosen't really care for the show since a while now and just stay for CS.

But, my uo I have to be honest with myself is that I find Colin hottest overate a bit I find him to be charismatic more than physically hunk like Jamie Dornan or Sébastien Stan are. At time I do find him hot but not more than a lot of actors his age. Sorry, but I also find Lana hottest overate too.

• Love 1

Hook's self-loathing is annoying. He's almost always in "brood mode", which has drained the fire from his character. I really enjoyed Hook in S2 and 3A for his snark and sense of adventure, but in my opinion they started playing the Xena card too often. His centrics are usually flashbacks of him betraying someone, (Brothers' Jones isn't a Hook centric.) and it gets a little old. It's probably unpopular opinion, but I feel his character is getting very repetitive like the rest of them.

• Love 3

I'm not sure if this falls into unpopular opinion territory or not (spoiler for S6),

Spoiler

but I hate the Jafar re-cast. Naveen Andrews was half the reason I loved Jafar in OUATiW, and if they couldn't have got him to return, I'd rather the character not have shown up again at all. I've hated the upcoming storyline since S5 ended, and they made me even less excited with this.

On 7/25/2016 at 11:02 AM, KingOfHearts said:

Hook's self-loathing is annoying. He's almost always in "brood mode", which has drained the fire from his character.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the fact that he feels bad about the things he's done is one of the things I like about him. It sets him apart from certain other supposedly reformed villains. A decent person who's done the things he's done should have a good amount of self-loathing. Now add to that what should be a raging case of PTSD after all the trauma he's been through lately. On the other hand, the fun things about his character were his zest for life, his wit, and his intense energy, and I feel like we've lost a lot of that as they've focused on the brooding. It seems to me that they could come up with some more creative ways that are in character for him to express some of his issues. For instance, one of his traits is that he's all-in, 100 percent, in everything he does, so why not have him decide that now that he's turned his life around, he's going to atone for his wrongs by being the biggest damn hero who ever heroed? Right now, he mostly broods along in Emma's wake, lending his support to the cause, but he could be the guy who charges into danger to rush to the rescue, being more proactive in heroics. He could look for wrongs to set right as a way of making amends. He might use that intense energy to keep himself busy so he doesn't have to think about what he's done or what happened to him.

I guess my unpopular opinion (I don't know how unpopular) would be that I think he should change costumes. If he so much hates what he once was, why is he clinging to the black leather and guyliner pirate look? Why not turn over a new leaf and try something different? He wears the jewelry as a reminder of his past wrongs, but why not gradually get rid of it as he atones for each crime, or maybe uses the jewelry to help (like it seems there was a cut scene from the finale where he traded a ring for something they needed)? It's probably not an unpopular opinion to say that the writers have a talent for finding the most boring and trite way of showing just about anything.

• Love 4
(edited)

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the fact that he feels bad about the things he's done is one of the things I like about him. It sets him apart from certain other supposedly reformed villains. A decent person who's done the things he's done should have a good amount of self-loathing. Now add to that what should be a raging case of PTSD after all the trauma he's been through lately. On the other hand, the fun things about his character were his zest for life, his wit, and his intense energy, and I feel like we've lost a lot of that as they've focused on the brooding.

I'm okay with him feeling bad for things he's done and wanting to be a better person. I understand the PTSD and the self-loathing. I get that. I just wish he wasn't almost constantly under that. We keep seeing the writers play the same notes with him each time he gets any focus. It gets depressing. I would like to see his character do something new that doesn't involve becoming dark against his own will or torturing him for no reason. I want to see him make proactive choices and try things he hasn't done before.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

We keep seeing the writers play the same notes with him each time he gets any focus.

Unfortunately, they're the same way with every character. They pick one thing and don't develop anything else. With Hook it's the self-loathing. With Emma it's walls. With Henry it's his longing to be a hero. With Belle, it's her belief in Rumple. With Regina it's her dissatisfaction with the way her life is going. With Rumple it's his desire for power. You can generally bet that any arc involving these characters will come back to that one thing, and they'll hit that same note over and over again instead of finding anything new. They have the characters in tiny little boxes (figuratively, other than Belle, but it works out about the same way for her) and never do anything outside the box. I think Hook's costume even falls into that category. They can't change it because that's the only way they know how to depict the character. We might not figure out that the guy with a hook for a hand is Captain Hook if they don't stick with the same imagery.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I want to see him make proactive choices and try things he hasn't done before.

The sad thing is he did do this in Season 5...when he started Operation Light Swan and got Henry on board with a secret plan that involved research and planning. And of course it all happened off screen.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Curio said:

The sad thing is he did do this in Season 5...when he started Operation Light Swan and got Henry on board with a secret plan that involved research and planning. And of course it all happened off screen.

"It happened offscreen" is one of the saddest phrases to be used about the Show, becasue it always describes something that seems more interesting than what's actually being shown on-screen. 

My unpopular opinion is that I don't really care about the

Spoiler

"year of Snowing"

. I have no interest in watching a retread of

Spoiler

the same old conflict between Snowing and Regina (excuse me, the Evil Queen) play out again

, but in what is bound to be a much blander and boring manner. 

• Love 1
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Curio said:

The sad thing is he did do this in Season 5...when he started Operation Light Swan and got Henry on board with a secret plan that involved research and planning.

Whenever Hook does do something like this, it's cut short. He got the idea to get his hand back and get a new look. It almost instantly turned into something negative and was forgotten. In Operation Light Swan, he got turned into a Dark One and it was pretty forgotten too. Hook started a new friendship with Belle in 4B, and that died in two episodes. If Hook does anything proactive and of independent thought, it's swept under the rug in favor of pushing him wherever the plot dictates.

And of course it all happened off screen.

Hook decided to go after Emma in 3B, and his grand journey on the Jolly Roger went offscreen. I'm sure we can still be bitter about that.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Hook decided to go after Emma in 3B, and his grand journey on the Jolly Roger went offscreen. I'm sure we can still be bitter about that.

The graphic novel is in the works, so...yes. Yes, I am still bitter.

• Love 2

I'm not excited about S6 at all. Aladdin is just sort of thrown in there, the Land of Untold Stories is extra clutter, the Evil Queen is a weak variation of a more important aspect of the show, the 22-episode small-town stories format no longer fits, and none of the main characters have anything new going for them. 

Spoiler

Aside from Emma with the Savior mythology, but I find that ridiculously contrived.

I'm actually waiting for Zelena scenes. I'm hoping she doesn't get pushed off to the side. Morpheus might be fun too if they play with the characters' dreams.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Here's one: I...didn't actually mind how Pan was used in 5B.  I know everyone wanted more of him and expected something bigger, but I actually liked the plotline they did.  Pan was so on top of things in 3A, particularly when it came to his son, and what happened in 5B was displaying how he didn't change at all, but completely misread the situation with his son and didn't realize that his son HAD changed.  He's more powerful and more evil than he was before, and he's no longer the lonely lost boy that Pan can easily manipulate or intimidate.  Rumple had upped his game while Pan had not, and this led to Pan's downfall.  I think it's fitting that in the end, Pan's massive, blinding ego and irredeemable nature is a big part of what does him in.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 5

I don't dig the Charming/Arthur bromance from 5A.  It only existed because A&E thought it was a "cool idea". Its only purpose in the plot was to fool the audience into thinking he had sided with Arthur in 5x04 before the reveal that he and Snow were working together. It just made Charming look kind of stupid. On the flip side, Hook/Arthur was great and subtly tied up a couple loose plot threads.

Snow and Charming as parents of an adult child is creepy. It makes them seem older than they are. I cringe whenever Emma calls them "mom" and "dad". Honestly, they haven't earned those titles and they shouldn't be patronizing her as if they've parented her the whole way. I understand it's supposed to be weird and awkward, but after S3, the show started acting like it was normal. The dynamic just bothers me. They should still be in their prime, not taking a backseat to people the same age as them.

Oh, I also hate it when David talks down to Hook like he knows better. Hook is significantly older and more experienced than him. It's also not cute when he's over-protective of Emma. It's creepy and condescending.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Oh, I also hate it when David talks down to Hook like he knows better. Hook is significantly older and more experienced than him. It's also not cute when he's over-protective of Emma. It's creepy and condescending.

These two things bother me too. The former, especially after the eggnapping reveal (well done, writers!), and compared to how Snowing treat Regina. Charming's overprotectiveness about Emma when it comes to Hook seems popular in many fics, but I dislike it intensely. It's sexist, and odd when you think how much Charming was okay with Neal (and freaking named his son after him). Besides, Emma is an adult, and her amorous activities shouldn't be any of David's business. 

• Love 4

While I agree with many comments on the board, and think the show has shown signs of age and is not as good as it once was, I still enjoy the show and do not think it is as bad as it seems to be on this board.  It almost seems like spoilers etc. are viewed with an element to find something wrong with them and viewed through a strong Emma/Hook (who I like) and strong anti-Regina lens.

• Love 4

I do think the overall tone of this board can be negative. I think this board was the most negative in 4B.  I feel that for many of us who are dissatisfied with this Show, this is pretty much the only place to voice it. To me at least, it's a safe space to vent my frustrations about the Show and discuss overall themes and writing. On tumblr, you can get piled on for expressing any criticism about the Show. So, I end up discussing the negatives more here, and do the flailing on tumblr. Besides, I enjoy the in-depth discussions about writing and general spec on this board. People who love CS and dislike Regina are the majority here, but each discussion board tends to gravitate towards a certain bias. It can't be helped. For example, the imdb boards are inundated with Hook haters and anti-CSers, and I simply am not interested in arguing with people who hate Hook or CS, or even reading such posts. So, I stopped posting there. True neutral is just impossible to achieve, IMO. 

• Love 2

For example, the imdb boards are inundated with Hook haters and anti-CSers, and I simply am not interested in arguing with people who hate Hook or CS, or even reading such posts. So, I stopped posting there. True neutral is just impossible to achieve, IMO. 

I'm what you might call an objective fan of Regina. On these boards, there's a lot of negative views about her and that's okay. But when I go elsewhere, it's the exact opposite - people can't stop singing her praises. I find that annoying because it's usually far removed from any deep thinking. I'm stuck in the middle. I want to recognize her flaws, but I still would like to converse with fellow Regina fans in a thoughtful manner.

Bias can be annoying, no matter what side of the coin you're looking at. That's why @Rumsy4 has the right idea in doing what you want in different places.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

People who love CS and dislike Regina are the majority here

To me, the major difference here is that people usually fully (often in multiple paragraphs) explain their reasons for why they dislike a certain character.  With Regina, most of the time, I feel people are explaining why they dislike how she is written, with the focus on the Writers and their horrible writing skills.   I neither hate or love Regina, so I'm in the middle and don't get too bothered.  However, I can understand how someone who loves Regina might find it disheartening to read so many negative comments.  I sort of feel that way when I read continuous vitriole about Neal, since he actually grew on me.  

The same annoyance occurs when the consensus is too positive, as said above.  I like CS sometimes, but I don't love it, so constant squeeing is also annoying, but it is relatively easy to avoid here.

So overall, I think this board is already the happy medium.  At least for me, where I both like and dislike Regina and CS.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3