Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: Happily Ever After? Yeah, Right!

• Start Topic

I have to vent about something but firstly I want to say that I mostly do not say a lot about Regina storyline because she rarely interesting to me. So, I focus on things that do still like mostly cs and the Charming.

But, I hate how A. and E. do everything to separate the EQ persona with Regina. It will be more interesting if they have use the EQ to tell us something about the current Regina who do she have problems with now and not just bring back the EQ of season one. But, it is not enough it seems that the EQ is totally a different character and cannot really learn us nothing about Regina

She really is a cartoon character that maybe could had some interest 

• Love 1

I know it is a little risky to write that before a new episode.

But I am happy about the storyline of Emma they choose not to rushed it and take the time to see how her new revelation affect her and the people she loves hopefully her parents including too! The best meaty part when the shit will really happen probably will be after the brea. That perfect for me ! She will have good story overall all the season I really got scared this summer than Emma Will be sidelining the year that could be the last season

Adding Ido believe now there's a good chance they will have their next season!

Mulan is overrated. Like Merida, she doesn't have the "heart" her source character does. In the movie, she joined the army to save her aging father. On Once, she's a soldier because... girl power I guess? She's a generic "strong independent woman warrior" who often feels shoehorned into the story. She was first introduced with Phillip and Aurora, which was random. Then Fergus hired her to train Merida, which was also random. Then, finally, she met up with Red at the Hut of Coincidences. I feel bad that she's always the third wheel, but there's not much else to her. (Other than the LGBT element, but that's seen as a bigger deal because of the meta.) Her writing is boring and I wouldn't cry if I never saw her again. I doubt we're getting a full-on Ancient China saga ever.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

I also thought the actress who played Mulan was a little flat, especially when she first appeared (she got a little better over time).  She never really grabbed my attention, which could have been largely due to the writing, but I just don't think the actress had much charisma.  I just saw her on an episode of Gotham, and I don't think she added much there either.  If they are going to have a recurring character appear from time to time I would rather it be Red.  Actually, I would have rather they kept Red on the canvas than Belle.

This has nothing to do with the topics we discuss on the forum. I hate HATE the fanfic trope where Charming dislikes the idea of his daughter sleeping with Hook. I know it's done for the sake of humor, and it has basis in canon, but still, I hate reading it. Especially if David walks in on them in compromising position and then threatens to hurt or kill Hook. 

I dislike that angle in the Show as well. Dude--she's a grown woman and has a kid. You missed your chance to punch Bagel. Now shut up for ever about Killian! 

• Love 4

I dislike that angle in the Show as well. Dude--she's a grown woman and has a kid. You missed your chance to punch Bagel. Now shut up for ever about Killian! 

Charming is sexist. I hated when he punched Whale over sleeping with Mary Margaret. (After he slept with Kathryn! Does Snow get to punch her?)

43 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Charming is sexist. I hated when he punched Whale over sleeping with Mary Margaret. (After he slept with Kathryn! Does Snow get to punch her?)

He also made-out with Cruella becasue he was pissed that James kissed Snow. 

And he wanted a son.

Charming is definitely sexist, but at the same time, he lets Snow do whatever dumb thing she wishes even if he thinks it's the wrong choice. I think he has some institutionalized sexism, but at the same time, is self-aware enough to know that it is wrong.

58 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I really hate any reference to OUaTiW and I hope the mother ship doesn't bring it up. I was relieved when Andrew Naveen couldn't do the show because of Sense8.

Just curious. Did you dislike the show?

Charming is definitely sexist, but at the same time, he lets Snow do whatever dumb thing she wishes even if he thinks it's the wrong choice. I think he has some institutionalized sexism, but at the same time, is self-aware enough to know that it is wrong.

It seems to reflect the writers' lack of touch with reality. I'm not calling A&E sexist, but Charming's attitude falls in line with the rest of the show's twisted morality.

Snow definitely has Charming on a leash. He's not allowed to disagree with her. (And when he does, she gets to give him a speech we're supposed to side with.) If you'll notice, she is always in the right. When Charming got poisoned, he lied and she got mad. When the eggnapping happened, she gave him a speech about how they were longer heroes. Later, when they tried to hide it, she gave him a speech about how burning the page was wrong. Then he was wrong again in 5A when he trusted Arthur. Let's not forget Charming was in favor of executing Regina and Snow stopped him. Even when she's wrong she's right. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
19 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Just curious. Did you dislike the show?

I didn't watch it past the Pilot. I thought the CGI was terrible, and I absolutely hated Alice and her blubbering about how she had to find Cyrus because they were true love and kept repeating that on a loop. I though she and the guy who played Cyrus lacked chemistry, I thought Jafar looked cheesy as hell. Will was awesome, but Will wasn't enough for me to sit through 42 minutes of drivel.

I don't think they should have brought him on the main show especially since there is a big problem with the timeline.

So you could say I disliked (read hated) it. The same night, I deleted the episode, and cancelled further recordings.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rumsy4 said:

In a vacuum, he hasn't been too over-the-top with it in the show. However, in context,  it's hard to take him being that overprotective about his adult daughter's sex life with Hook when he had zero problem with the guy who knocked her up as a teenager. If he'd punched out Neal, then he could get away with giving Hook the "treat her well, or else" speech. Being all "keep your hands off my daughter" with the guy who's jumped through portals to help her while naming his kid after the guy who engaged in statutory rape with her is creepy. If David dares say anything now to the guy who literally died for her, then he's way out of line.

• Love 2

I only watched a few episodes of the Show here and there, but I watched the series finale. lol The terrible CGI certainly didn't make the viewing experience enjoyable. It was definitely a huge mistake to bring Will over to the mother Show.

I don't really care too much whether they reference OUATiW in the mother show, but I hope they'll stop messing with the continuity. 

1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

I didn't watch it past the Pilot. I thought the CGI was terrible, and I absolutely hated Alice and her blubbering about how she had to find Cyrus because they were true love and kept repeating that on a loop. I though she and the guy who played Cyrus lacked chemistry, I thought Jafar looked cheesy as hell. Will was awesome, but Will wasn't enough for me to sit through 42 minutes of drivel.

Meh, if you can overlook the bad CGI and actually keep watching, it gets a lot better, as does Naveen Andrew as Jafar (he loses that awful wig after episode 3, for example).  It isn't good as OUAT was in its prime (S1 - 3A), but when comparing the overall shows, I honestly think OUATIW is superior.

Edited by Mathius
11 minutes ago, Mathius said:

Meh, if you can overlook the bad CGI and actually keep watching, it gets a lot better, as does Naveen Andrew as Jafar (he loses that awful wig after episode 3, for example).  It isn't good as OUAT was in its prime (S1 - 3A), but when comparing the overall shows, I honestly think OUATIW is superior.

I really enjoyed the last half of OUATIW. The first is definitely cringey, but later the cheesiness becomes more charming. You start to really care about the characters. It goes from campy adventure to more of a fantasy drama closer to the mother show. It has a coherent story. (Which Once seriously lacks in later seasons.) I agree - OUATIW is on par if not better than Once after 3A.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Truly unpopular opinion for this board.  I can actually see why Charming was wary about Hook initially.  He did sail into town as a villain bribing Cora with him and had a two hundred year reputation of doing dastardly things.  I think they have been somewhat realistic with his gradually changing attitude.   If Hook ending up being involved with his father's fate, it would only be natural for them to be some friction.  Yes, it might be unfair compared to how quickly Regina's sins were forgiven, but I would rather there be some shades of gray and time for the relationship to change and develop than them to go the unrealistic Regina insta-ally, ignore her past route.  It makes the relationships seem a little more real.

• Love 2

I don't think that is unpopular. Many of us think he had reasons to be wary of Hook at first. The problem is that he kept being wary after Hook proved himself over and over again. In 3A? Perfect. But in 4B? There it was ridiculous.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, RadioGirl27 said:

The problem is that he kept being wary after Hook proved himself over and over again.

And he wasn't wary of Neal, in spite of the fact that Neal had actually wronged Emma and had taken advantage of her when she was a vulnerable teenager. He'd been in the kind of relationship with her when she was a minor that led to her getting pregnant, and then had bailed to the point he never knew she was pregnant. If he's warning the pirate away, he also needs to be warning Neal that he'd better not mess with Emma again. As it is, it comes across like he wanted Neal to make an honest woman of her, and never mind how he'd treated her in the past.

9 minutes ago, RadioGirl27 said:

I don't think that is unpopular. Many of us think he had reasons to be wary of Hook at first. The problem is that he kept being wary after Hook proved himself over and over again. In 3A? Perfect. But in 4B? There it was ridiculous.

Agree. Plus 4B was the time we learnt about the eggnapping. So, it came across as projected guilt, and a wish to think himself better than the "pirate". And despite all the Captain Charming fan-following on tumblr, Charming and Hook have at best a mildly cordial relationship in the Show. The UW was the first time Charming actually acted friendly towards the other. 

I certainly think Hook needed to earn the trust of Emma and her family, but Charming named his son after the man who abandoned his daughter and sent her to jail (if he even knows about that), and that says how deep his prejudices go. I think it's possible that Snow and Charming equated them sending Emma alone through the Wardrobe to what Neal did. So, if they blame Neal, they'd have to deal with their own guilt, and they'd rather not touch that with a 10-foot pole. Snow in particular gets very defensive whenever it's brought up. (Btw, probably according to Snow, Regina taught Emma to be strong by trying to kill her as a baby, and Neal taught her to be independent by sending her to jail).

It's mainly done for the sake of drama. The writers had no interest in Neal, so they didn't write any conflict between him and Charming. The writers do care about Hook, so they write an antagonistic relationship between him and Charming.  Because they think generating conflict is the main way to keep things interesting.

First I need to preface this.  I did not like the Regina seduction scene with rumple in 6x2.  However, I think they could have been a viable couple.  They seem to have respect for each other, especially seem to like each other when not directly at odds.  They could have been a couple that took pride in being bested by the other.  Now it's wasted potential.

I am happy about the slow pace of the Emma's journey even if the wall things is repetitive

1) it is realistic people defense never really totally disappear even when the person is working her issues. That why alcoholic always have to battle with it or a avoiding personality will always have that tendency. 

2) becuse t the climax before the winter break will be about the mystery of the hooded figure and her arc have not suffered from the double EQ fatigue at that point.

3) contrary at what many claims CS episode are rare so real CS adventure will be good and the small pace of the relationship save it from the soap opera rumbelle. Every step still is a new for them

Now, I just hope Emma will have the time to end her journey like a real heroes journey and because of this slow pace I am not sure if they ending this year she will. She is probably the only character with Hook ( we know nothing about his mother) I can says that. 

I actually didn't mind the Golden Queen flirtation this past episode. I'm still skeptical about whether TEQ is genuine (considering Regina has only ever had feelings of hatred towards Rumpel since losing to Snow and Charming in the EF, and even before that he only ever seemed like a means to an end for her), but I actually think the development could make the Rumbelle scenes more interesting. The entire series has been this back-and-forth of whether or not Rumpel will change (which he won't--at least not before the last episode of the series, at any rate) and whether or not Belle will leave him (only temporarily regardless). At least the idea of Rumpel having a choice between someone who accepts him for the person he is versus someone who is only concerned about who he isn't is something different from the norm with them. I have to admit the writers have done a good job making me interested in the Rumbelle storyline so far, considering I had zero interest in them throughout 5B.

• Love 1

The Golden Queen in the flashbacks wasn't as cringey as it was in the present day. Back in EF, Rumple was trying to manipulate Regina. He played her seduction game because it made her feel power and control. I wouldn't be surprised of he had a fondness for the daughter of Cora. But as time goes on, it seems more apparent he was just using Regina most of the way and didn't really care about her that much. The show has shown it both ways.

On 10/6/2016 at 3:25 PM, KingOfHearts said:

I really enjoyed the last half of OUATIW. The first is definitely cringey, but later the cheesiness becomes more charming. You start to really care about the characters. It goes from campy adventure to more of a fantasy drama closer to the mother show. It has a coherent story. (Which Once seriously lacks in later seasons.) I agree - OUATIW is on par if not better than Once after 3A.

Definitely, it's the overload of the cg world that's very off-putting at first, but it being self contained for the most part is refreshing and fun than the later seasons.

• Love 1

No, idea if the following is unpopular or not but I didn't know where to say this.

So, for the second day I saw the idea that Emma Storyline and journey should essentially be given to differents characters .

First yesterday, in the hot seat with the strange implication that Regina was the one fighting the hooded figure. Today I read that the Hooded figure must be Morpheus and Rumple will really be the one defeating him

What the Hell!!

Emma cannot have her own story anymore without everyone just push her on the side and make her some damsel in distress of her own story.

I am sorry but if any of this really happen I am never watching this show ever again.

Regina and Rumple have their owns significant storyline so stop trying to stole Emma storyline.

I am becoming protective of Emma a lot of people seems to want to sideline her.

Hook too but storyline wisr I just wish is centric will be good, original  and that he didn't killed directly Charming father.

• Love 1

I find it cringey whenever the cast or crew use ship names like "Captain Swan" or "Outlaw Queen". It's probably to help audience members feel connected socially, but it's still weird to me. I don't mind ship names when used by fans or media.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I put that here because I feel like we must be positive about this season even in CS corner.

Well, for me this season miss the competently the boat on almost every front.

EQ ,(Regina subconscious) splitting should be about the complex relationship that Regina has now in the present about Snow, Emma, Henry and Robin. Anyway, just too much of Regina she is definitely not everyone favorite.

The Savior mythology has so much potential but it is just use for fake angst and make Emma weaker.

There no real storyline for Emma to become a better Savior or leader or helping to save Aladdin realm between Emma and her loved one meaningful.

The rumbelle soap is repetitive and cringe worthy and too gross to be funny. And I almost certain they will eventually find a way to whitewashing everything. 

• Love 3
On 07/10/2016 at 6:13 AM, Mathius said:

It isn't good as OUAT was in its prime (S1 - 3A)

Oh wow...remember 3A when there were so, so many complaints about wandering endlessly about the jungle and achieving nothing while Rump moped over his dolly and we'd most of us in this forum had already worked out Pan was Rump's dad long before the big reveal on screen?

All that time spent in the fake jungle with bad lighting isn't looking quite so bad now, is it?

Because now we have......well....s6...the year of no plot.

• Love 1

Maybe I should stick on here because I still like this show and think this is probably the best least annoying season in a long time.  Both Henry and Belle aren't completely annoying.  I like the Charming couple stuff as well as the The battle.with the Evil Queen.  Even Hook who usually annoys me is being less annoying.

i am enjoying this seAson.

i will go back to my corner now.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Maybe I should stick on here because I still like this show and think this is probably the best least annoying season in a long time.  Both Henry and Belle aren't completely annoying.  I like the Charming couple stuff as well as the The battle.with the Evil Queen.  Even Hook who usually annoys me is being less annoying.

i am enjoying this seAson.

i will go back to my corner now.

I actually agree with a lot of this.  It might not be as good as it was in the first season, but I am enjoying it.    Most dramas with a gimmicky concept do not age well, so relatively thinking, I do not think it is in too bad a shape for a show of its type in its 6th year.  I even think that there have been a few improvements from recent seasons.  

I think they are balancing the cast a little better.  Snow, Charming, and Belle have been given more to do than they have in awhile.  Regina seems a little more aware of the damage she has done, and while in the real world she should be banished or imprisoned, she does seem more genuinely remorseful for her past actions.  Belle has developed a spine and Gold seems to have thrown out reforming out the window and is being written as a true villain, and both are more interesting that way than as the love sick couple hoping Rumple's latest reformation will stick.  Henry is not my favorite character, but in what is probably truly an unpopular opinion, I think he is more bearable than he was a couple of years ago.  After a slow start, I think the EQ has been genuinely creepy the last couple of episodes.

I do think people take Regina/Evil Queen split to literal.  The Evil Queen is Cora's daughter through and through.  Regina is what she could have become if Cora hadn't interfered so thoroughly.  I think the show is doing a good job in showing what kind of strength Henry truly had to go off on his own at such a young age to find Emma because he was raised by the Evil Queen.   I think that was a lot  of what the most recent episode was supposed to show.  I think Regina is different then the Evil Queen because she sees the strength in Henry and is able to grow out of her own anger and rage.  The Evil Queen never will.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think Regina is different then the Evil Queen because she sees the strength in Henry and is able to grow out of her own anger and rage.  The Evil Queen never will.

Too bad the point is muddled by the tiny fact that Regina and the Evil Queen are the same damn person, and are going to have to remerge eventually.

The writers did not think through the deeper implications of this storyline nor are they willing to address them, so why should I give a damn?

Oh wow...remember 3A when there were so, so many complaints about wandering endlessly about the jungle and achieving nothing while Rump moped over his dolly and we'd most of us in this forum had already worked out Pan was Rump's dad long before the big reveal on screen?

All that time spent in the fake jungle with bad lighting isn't looking quite so bad now, is it?

As someone who was a fan of 3A from the beginning, I am quite enjoying my feeling of vindication. 

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Mathius said:

As someone who was a fan of 3A from the beginning, I am quite enjoying my feeling of vindication. 

I liked 3A also.  We got character development, Hooks first real centric not involving Rumple, CS first kiss, amazing speech from Hook to Emma about believing in her and a super emotional finale.  Worked for me.

• Love 6

I... am kind of amazed OUAT is still a thing. I stopped watching after season 1. It was too fanfic-y for me. And I like fanfic. But it seemed to have all the worst qualities of fanfic... everything is motivated by relationship drama, random crossovers, Mary Sues, out of character behavior, OC's that are children of so-and-so, intense shipping, etc. Reading this thread it seems like they doubled down on a lot of that. I don't hate the entire concept of crossovers but I'm not sure it was right for TV. There are a lot of different voices and perspectives going into each of these individual properties and putting them all in the hands of the same group of writers and then putting them in a TV space, where with few exceptions, you have to be somewhat adaptable and you kind of make it up as you go along... I can see why they ran into trouble but I'm glad I didn't stick around to watch any more of it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mathius said:

3A would have been a winner simply for the fact that they immediately, and non-ceremoniously dispatched of the two anti-magic agency type characters.  The arc did a good job of fixing a few of 2B's mistakes including dropping the Mary Margaret heart turning black because of killing Cora.  They also had a few things that were not right out of the cliche handbook, not going with the expected end-game couple of Neal and Emma and having the spoiler Hook be the one she wanted,  Hook's character development was fairly organic, and Pan was an interesting villain.  I actually liked the Frozen characters, but one negative is after that, they seemed more committed to introducing the Disney version of a character, rather than a unique version of a fairy tale character, e.g. Pan and Snow White and Hook  were both different takes from the original source material, and not copies from the Disney movie.  I am not sure season 3 Pan would have been created in the same fashion after the Frozen arc.

• Love 4

Always liked 3a but looking back now I have a new fondness for it.

It was still a ongoing storyline with real character and relationship development. 3b was the beginning of the repetitive storyline that was going to follow (with the exception of the final for Emma as character) 

But, Regina, Rumple, and CS all peak their development there and didn't really change that much since. 

Last unpopular opinion for now.

I don't care for the loose ends who don't involve the main characters that are on the show now. A lot of people perpetually clamor for.

With the time remaining in the serie  (maybe a short final season 7)

I want the writers to focus on giving to their character a compelling arc and ending.  And not on very secondary plot point that most people forgot or not care anymore.

Edited by maryle
Spelling
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, maryle said:

Last unpopular opinion for now.

I don't care for the loose ends who don't involve the main characters that are on the show now. That a lot of people perpetually clamor for.

Exactly! I don't care about Belle's mom, Lily, Ruby and Dorothy, Guinevere or any of the other dropped plot lines.

Let's get our main character stories told properly before we worry about the dwarves.

• Love 1

A have a hard time accepting the fact that soon we will know everything about p.23. When it came from a false reality that Isaac has wrote.

But, after 6 season we don't even know why Emma Swan is calling Swan!!

Edited by maryle
Spelling
  • Love 6

I hate Storybrooke. It's way too comfortable of a setting. I didn't mind it in S1/S2 when you were dealing with the curse, outsiders, and keeping the society from blowing up. If it's not meant to be realistic, it's just boring. 3A onward, it didn't need to exist. It should have stayed gone after Pan's Curse. Camelot, Neverland, and the Underworld were all so much more interesting and better arcs. If this is supposed to be a pure fantasy show now, then it should be a fantasy setting.

Seriously, screw Storybrooke. Granny's is dull.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I hate Storybrooke. It's way too comfortable of a setting. I didn't mind it in S1/S2 when you were dealing with the curse, outsiders, and keeping the society from blowing up. If it's not meant to be realistic, it's just boring. 3A onward, it didn't need to exist. It should have stayed gone after Pan's Curse. Camelot, Neverland, and the Underworld were all so much more interesting and better arcs. If this is supposed to be a pure fantasy show now, then it should be a fantasy setting.

Seriously, screw Storybrooke. Granny's is dull.

Agreed.  If they're gonna go for big "epic" crisises 24/7, they could at least do so in a setting where it makes sense for them to happen.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Mathius said:

Agreed.  If they're gonna go for big "epic" crisises 24/7, they could at least do so in a setting where it makes sense for them to happen.

Or they could do it in such a way that the magic stuff is a striking contrast to the setting. Storybrooke is dull because it's neither magical enough nor normal enough. The magic invasions would be interesting if they were in sharp contrast to a super-normal quaint small town. Or the town could be an interesting, magical place, like a fairytale land in modern America, because of the influx of magical people. But it basically amounts to what looks like a backlot populated by only the main characters.

• Love 1

u. o. or unpopular wish for Once for 2017

I am totally fine witht the show ending more Next season ( short or long) but either way ok with it.

I don't want them trying new gimmick to turn the show upside down and won't work to bring viewers back. Once buzz will never be season 1 again. So, they should stop living in the past or falsely recreate it. It won't never be again!!

No, more Disney gimmick either even if Elsa were back for a couple of episode the resultant at best will be mitigates. Just like Aladdin and co. this year and for many reason. 

I just want they develop a final arc for the main cast and give closure to the show in a satisfying way for the fans, general audience and cast. I think for them it is a already enough challenge than trying to keep a show alive who shouldn't be.  

I feel it is the best I can wish for Once, it's creator and the fans. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, maryle said:

u. o. or unpopular wish for Once for 2017

I am totally fine witht the show ending more Next season ( short or long) but either way ok with it.

I don't want them trying new gimmick to turn the show upside down and won't work to bring viewers back. Once buzz will never be season 1 again. So, they should stop living in the past or falsely recreate it. It won't never be again!!

No, more Disney gimmick either even if Elsa were back for a couple of episode the resultant at best will be mitigates. Just like Aladdin and co. this year and for many reason. 

I just want they develop a final arc for the main cast and give closure to the show in a satisfying way for the fans, general audience and cast. I think for them it is a already enough challenge than trying to keep a show alive who shouldn't be.  

I feel it is the best I can wish for Once, it's creator and the fans. 

Agree with everything you wrote (usually do!)...except the creators don't deserve any consideration....they ruined their own show with their obsession with shiny toy Regina....and the totally undeserved deification of ArseWipeFire.

• Love 2

I don't believe the writers are bore with CS at all. They just want to milk it the longer they can.  

I don't believe except for ep.11 there going be a lot of sq scene and the final won't be a sq episode either. In fact, I am beginning to believe that CS will be together for most of it.   Now, I will wait and see.

• Love 1

Not really interesting in all the avalanche of new guest star.

6b was already looking loaded with very different storyline.

Where the saving Agrabah plot still going at all? 

Most of the time there just in two scene and that it.

I kinda like Ariel but Tinkerbell was very badly use. She was mostly a cheerleader for OQ. That it!