Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

They give literary prizes for fanfiction?  I better step up my game! ;)

I'd be happy to beta for you if you want to take a crack at your idea.  Writing fic like that can be cathartic.

I think fanfiction benefits from writing for a narrow audience (or audience of one).  I know the classic advice for fiction writers is to "write for yourself," but it is a business.  Even more so with TV writing.  Writing with a wide audience in mind, you start to second guess yourself or play to tropes instead of playing WITH them.  Some of the best fanfiction is written because the author has this little kernel of a story idea which they need to explore or a funny concept they come up with when chatting with friends in their little corner of fandom.  When it's done, it is its own reward (not that comments and kudos aren't great, too).

• Love 3

They give literary prizes for fanfiction?  I better step up my game! ;)

I haven't seen anything for Arrow but I know there were annual nominations for Smallville and Stargate SG-1.  The nominations and voting process got pretty extensive, lots of categories ranging from General stories, to ships with specific pairings, to short ones, to multi chapter,  to AU's, to finished and also WIP. 

I am a little surprised we haven't seen such a thing yet.  Maybe because Tumblr just would not be conducive to hosting such a thing.  It was always great to be able to nominate the great stories and then just be able to have such a wonderful and complete list of great stories!

(edited)

Is anyone else reading No Way Out But Through by So_Caffeinated? Its getting pretty amazing... She just gave me so much of what I had hoped for in s3 in chs 4/5. I recommend her entire Stop the Presses series. But this most recent story is heating up nicely.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4002172/chapters/8989534

I had a hard time getting through the first fic in the series because it was set in Summer between S2/S3 yet decided to ignore Oliver losing QC in order to keep Felicity as his EA. It's a personal turnoff to have fics set after S2 (especially ones that are written half way through S3) still using the EA bit. I hated that they made Felicity an EA on the show, I loathe it when post S2 fic keep her in that position. Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Honestly the only reason why I'm not buying an Oliver/Diggle one is because they don't have a Felicity one. But once they do make one I'll buy the original team... Although it's a shame that they couldn't make a funko of Digg in his normal clothing... smh

• Love 4
(edited)

I haven't seen anything for Arrow but I know there were annual nominations for Smallville and Stargate SG-1. The nominations and voting process got pretty extensive, lots of categories ranging from General stories, to ships with specific pairings, to short ones, to multi chapter, to AU's, to finished and also WIP.

I am a little surprised we haven't seen such a thing yet. Maybe because Tumblr just would not be conducive to hosting such a thing. It was always great to be able to nominate the great stories and then just be able to have such a wonderful and complete list of great stories!

Ah, I get you now. We had several such fan awards in Veronica Mars fandom, both general and challenge specific. Would it be possible to run something like that through collections or challenges on AO3? I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of that site. LiveJournal made it easy to set up polls (and even put in some controls for new made dummy accounts). From my personal experience, the biggest obstacle to running such contests is making certain the governing body has time to read a LOT of fiction and sets up reasonable safeguards against personal bias in the initial cut.

If anyone is interested in setting up some kind of Arrow fanfic awards, I'd be happy to help.

ETA:  I just did a little research to see how other fandoms are doing things now-a-days, and found this multi-fandom fic award site which leads with a list of top Arrow fanfiction for 2015.  So there's that.

Edited by TrueMyth

ETA:  I just did a little research to see how other fandoms are doing things now-a-days, and found this multi-fandom fic award site which leads with a list of top Arrow fanfiction for 2015.  So there's that.

Thanks for the great link!

I'm curious--are SpyKid18's stories that good? Several made the list. Have you read his/her fics and would you recommend them? I don't have an account for that fan fiction site, given the preference for AO3 by posters here. Thanks!

I don't think I've read any of SpyKid18's stories but you don't need an account to read stories over on FF.net, just to post or comment and even with the comments I think you can leave anonymous ones. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Spykid18 crossposts at AO3 under the name javajunkie, if you want to check out her (?) fic. They're all AU, and I think she writes pretty well although I think her later stories are better than her earlier ones.

I think there are some good fics on that nominations list, but I'm not sure if they're all award-worthy.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

I haven't seen anything for Arrow but I know there were annual nominations for Smallville and Stargate SG-1. The nominations and voting process got pretty extensive, lots of categories ranging from General stories, to ships with specific pairings, to short ones, to multi chapter, to AU's, to finished and also WIP.

I am a little surprised we haven't seen such a thing yet. Maybe because Tumblr just would not be conducive to hosting such a thing. It was always great to be able to nominate the great stories and then just be able to have such a wonderful and complete list of great stories!

Yeah, I remember nominating and voting for stories and art back when the Stargate Fan Awards was running. It was fun. And I know other fandoms did the same kind of thing. I hadn't thought about it for awhile though. Maybe it's true that it's because of fandom migrating to Tumblr.

• Love 1

Spykid's stuff is enjoyable fluff. They're light and fun to read and I liked them. Unfortunately she isn't updating any of her Olicity stuff right now because she's in law school or something? More power to her lol

Wow--hearing him say her name all those times, it really sounds different in S3. There's a softness in his tone, even when there's urgent Arrow business.

Does anybody know whether Oliver's "fascination with her name" (per every fan fic) was a conscious choice by the writers or just a happy accident?

Just finished "The Crow" by poisonangelmuse & TheAlternativeSource, and I really enjoyed it. It is an AU story. I was hesitant to read it because I can be very particular about my AUs, most of the time I don't like them. But I felt this one was in vein with the show & characters - even though it was not an Arrow story. It does not have the Arrow in it, which is major difference. However, I liked the way they handled the Bratva storyline. I enjoyed the Felicity origin story in this one, almost moreso than in the show. Its also had some smut in it, but I think it was well-written & not too graphic or off-putting. I tend to read fic when it is quiet at work during a night shift, so smut is not always something you want on the screen - but I didn't feel like this one was too inappropriate or embarrassing for people if they did catch a glimpse.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/3069809/chapters/6661574

• Love 2
(edited)

Someone in the Awards thread was asking about how to track down the fics that were appended to the MTV Ship of the Year post--someone on Tumblr collected what looks like almost all of them in this master post.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 9

Someone in the Awards thread was asking about how to track down the fics that were appended to the MTV Ship of the Year post--someone on Tumblr collected what looks like almost all of them in this master post.

That was me. Thank you!!

• Love 2

Cute fic from MachaSWicket, no title but inspired by Stephen talking about how domesticated Oliver has become.

I so freaking LOVE that sweet, awkward, wonderful story! MachaSWicket is hands-down my favorite fan fic author. She makes me want to write comments in all caps and a million emojis punctuated with an infinite number of exclamation points!

Um, this is a really, really good Olicity video. I love the music, pacing, coloring, and tone. It feels weighty, with some angst and romance. It treats some of the really familiar scenes in a fresh new way--you hear Felicity say the line "The way you linger on her when she's not looking" as Oliver is watching her. Simply gorgeous vid!

• Love 3

Sweet fic by our own APinkNightmare!

http://archiveofourown.org/works/4327812

Aw, I loved it, apinknightmare! I was reluctant to read it, because last year I read"Between the Shadow and the Soul" before the season started and spent the entire season mad that things didn't play out exactly like that on the show. LOL. But I'm really glad I thought better of it and gave in.

• Love 1
(edited)

The talented Lord Mesa did this one as well (he clarified in comments that he was so focused on the love story aspect and "ship" reference that he spaced on the Titanic analogy, but then pointed out that Oliver is experienced at surviving shipwrecks)...

Lord Mesa ‏@lordmesa  24h
In honor of #Olicity winning #ShipOfTheYear!! @ARROWwriters @ArrowProdOffice @CW_Arrow @mguggenheim @MericlesHappen

CJ-f2rkUwAAVNTM.jpg

https://twitter.com/lordmesa/status/621391047130681344

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

The talented Lord Mesa did this one as well (he clarified in comments that he was so focused on the love story aspect and "ship" reference that he spaced on the Titanic analogy, but then pointed out that Oliver is experienced at surviving shipwrecks)...

https://twitter.com/lordmesa/status/621391047130681344

It is a good love story... and is still talked about many years later. And unlike Rose, I trust that Felicity will never let go & share that damn piece of wreckage! Still haven't forgiven Rose for that many years later... Loved when articles came out that supported that they probably both could have lived if he had not stayed in the water. Plus OQ does have a knack for surviving shipwrecks.

But I did get a few chuckles about the accidental implications of using a Titanic analogy.

• Love 5