Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

I've seen numerous stories about Oliver and Felicity's journey...anyone know of any that show the other side? Diggle with Thea and Laurel?

I'm working on one.  But no, I did a search a few weeks ago to make sure I wasn't retreading, and nothing jumped out.  I think there are a few drabbles and some stuff with Oliver and Felicity interacting with people back home.  Here are the closest thing I've found running my search again: Wherever You Are.  Haven't read it yet, but the summary fits.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been reading Wherever You Are and enjoying it.  After chapters on Diggle & Lyla, Thea and Laurel (dating Ted Grant, yay), it's now starting to connect  with what Felicity and Oliver are up to due to a development at  home.  She also listens to comments from readers.

I meant to rec it here and now you've beaten me to it.  There might not be enough Thea for you though, wingster55.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Somewhere Only We Know - He's Just Not That Into You AU. Felicity Smoak has always been career driven, so after too many disastrous dates she's ready to give up on her already non-existent love life, till she meets Oliver Queen, playboy and womanizer, who offers to help her find a guy who'll commit.

• Love 1

I'm working on one.  But no, I did a search a few weeks ago to make sure I wasn't retreading, and nothing jumped out.  I think there are a few drabbles and some stuff with Oliver and Felicity interacting with people back home.  Here are the closest thing I've found running my search again: Wherever You Are.  Haven't read it yet, but the summary fits.

Thanks. TrueMyth

(edited)

What is up with all the super rapey Arrow fanfic lately? Just in the last couple weeks there have been fics in which Felicity is gang-raped by the Bratva, I think for weeks (not totally sure how long bc I quit reading after that), Felicity is raped with a broken Coke bottle by her father (which the freaking author considered "not graphic"), Felicity is raped by a brainwashed Oliver (although that one took the subject seriously instead of making it just a gross plot point), and now a new one in which Thea is gang-raped by the Bratva and it's pretty strongly implied Felicity will have been, too. WTF with all the rape?

Edited by AyChihuahua

Wow, I'm glad I haven't run across these stories!  Are they on AO3?  Did the authors not tag with "rape/non-con"?  Unless they chose not to use the archive warnings, they should.  And I'd still expect a warning in the summary or author's note at LEAST.  Otherwise they are running into potentially triggering problems and someone should comment and ask them to address them.

It is a by-product of rape culture that many others treat rape as a "handy character trial" without really understanding the effects or being honest with character reactions.  The worst is when that plot line is used as the equivalent of a "non-death fridging" of a female character for the manpain of a hero.  Because these tropes are so prevalent in Western media, many new authors fall back on them without reflection when they want a gritty storyline.  It is my hope that the reaction of their audience will help lead these writers to a deeper understanding of gender politics.

It seriously sucks to be blindsided like that though, AyChihuahua.

• Love 8

I read a lot of fanfic, but I have no idea what stories you're talking about. Where are you finding these, and don't they have warning tags?

They're on AO3, and they're not all tagged. Seriously, the broken Coke bottle thing (Felicity was also pregnant and the rapist was Damien Darhk, who was her father and had also molested her as a child) had the author swearing it wasn't graphic. How the fuck (and I don't swear that often) is a father raping his pregnant daughter with a broken glass Coke bottle not graphic?!? The new one with Thea being gang-raped to death has no warning tags. I mean I can handle the threat of rape...anthfan has done tons of those. Oyhumbug wrote a very well-done fic in which Tommy had raped Felicity more or less in revenge while Oliver was with Laurel. But it's like these authors are writing Felicity and sometimes Thea being sexually tortured for fun, and it's used as a plot point to motivate Oliver. It's really gross. Obviously I stop reading once I realize it, but half the time it's too late, especially because I have a very vivid imagination.

(edited)

Wow, I'm glad I haven't run across these stories!  Are they on AO3?  Did the authors not tag with "rape/non-con"?  Unless they chose not to use the archive warnings, they should.  And I'd still expect a warning in the summary or author's note at LEAST.  Otherwise they are running into potentially triggering problems and someone should comment and ask them to address them.

It is a by-product of rape culture that many others treat rape as a "handy character trial" without really understanding the effects or being honest with character reactions.  The worst is when that plot line is used as the equivalent of a "non-death fridging" of a female character for the manpain of a hero.  Because these tropes are so prevalent in Western media, many new authors fall back on them without reflection when they want a gritty storyline.  It is my hope that the reaction of their audience will help lead these writers to a deeper understanding of gender politics.

It seriously sucks to be blindsided like that though, AyChihuahua.

I totally go in the comments and tell them I won't be reading their super-rapey story, and also that they should tag appropriately if they haven't. I completely agree with you re character trial shortcut...like the one in which Felicity is gang-raped for weeks by scores of men, and the actual rape scenes are pretty graphic, but it's a flashback from a week or so prior, so in present day she's quasi-okay...what the hell? You don't get gang-raped for weeks and just move on and get ready to date Oliver who's such a good guy. (It's an AU in which she meets Oliver after the weekslong gang-raping.) The one by oyhumbug, with Tommy, was pretty much all about Felicity and her story of taking MONTHS to be even a little okay again, so I was okay with it, although I still at most skimmed the actual rape scene, but these other ones use it, as you said, as a handy character trial and motivation pretty much FOR OLIVER. I mean, I intentionally do not watch Game of Thrones or shows like it, because that crap makes me sick, so I loathe accidentally reading it in fanfic.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

I'm glad you left a comment to let the author know that you felt mislead by their tags.

I did a little research into AO3 policies.  If the writer picks the "choose not to use Archive warnings" then it is within the ToS of the site and they will not follow up on an abuse complaint.  However, if they have selected "no Archive warnings apply" when they obviously do, you can send in an abuse complaint (though I'd suggest you give the author a few days to make the change).  Said complaint will probably result in the author changing their warnings.  Authors accounts will not be suspended without repeated complaints.  I'd say that alone is a good reason to go through with the abuse report when it applies.  For example, if the bottle-rape "it's not graphic!" author does this repeatedly with multiple fics and still refuses to recalibrate their norms, then it is pretty obvious they are writing to mess with people.

I like that AO3 gives flexibility to the writer.  In the past, I've written stories which deal with or even depict rape or that end in character death.  It can be a dilemma if the plot point is a twist, and it takes away the effect of the story to warn ahead, but I generally feel it is better to let people know. Nothing is gained if your big "gotcha" ends up seriously disturbing a reader, particularly to the point where they stop reading or block you as an author.  Additionally, though it is disturbing to some, others do enjoy reading non-con.  As long as it is tagged and rated appropriately, live and let live.

• Love 2

I love the idea of Bratva because I find the mob culture interesting. I can watch hours of Mobsters, reruns and all. But I am cautious about reading Bratva fanfics because I see this theme of turning Oliver into a psychopath or Christian Grey. I'm not sure which one is worse. 

There are some I enjoy though. Sarcastic_fina started one that I'm enjoying, but it hasn't been updated in awhile. There are also some one-shots out there that are good, but I can never remember the authors. What they all have in common is an equal relationship between Oliver and Felicity. Oliver is the strong, silent type running his empire and Felicity is a total mob wife. Sweet and cute, but never one to be played.

They're on AO3, and they're not all tagged. Seriously, the broken Coke bottle thing (Felicity was also pregnant and the rapist was Damien Darhk, who was her father and had also molested her as a child) had the author swearing it wasn't graphic. How the fuck (and I don't swear that often) is a father raping his pregnant daughter with a broken glass Coke bottle not graphic?!? The new one with Thea being gang-raped to death has no warning tags. I mean I can handle the threat of rape...anthfan has done tons of those. Oyhumbug wrote a very well-done fic in which Tommy had raped Felicity more or less in revenge while Oliver was with Laurel. But it's like these authors are writing Felicity and sometimes Thea being sexually tortured for fun, and it's used as a plot point to motivate Oliver. It's really gross. Obviously I stop reading once I realize it, but half the time it's too late, especially because I have a very vivid imagination.

Ugh, I'm sorry you had to read them. And it's totally inexcusable that they weren't labeled. It shouldn't even matter if the author thinks it's graphic or not; rape is such a triggering subject it should always come with a warning.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's really a trend, not like Bratva fics in general.

• Love 1

What is up with all the super rapey Arrow fanfic lately? Just in the last couple weeks there have been fics in which Felicity is gang-raped by the Bratva, I think for weeks (not totally sure how long bc I quit reading after that), Felicity is raped with a broken Coke bottle by her father (which the freaking author considered "not graphic"), Felicity is raped by a brainwashed Oliver (although that one took the subject seriously instead of making it just a gross plot point), and now a new one in which Thea is gang-raped by the Bratva and it's pretty strongly implied Felicity will have been, too. WTF with all the rape?

I read the Coke bottle one... It started out as promising, it wasn't the greatest, but it was interesting worth a bookmark - and then took such a dark turn. I was like well OK. I didn't see that happening. It wasn't just rape it was also child abuse. It was dark & unnecessary. And then she has this random other family. It was bizarre. It was like they just took everything drama & edgy, threw it in blender & hoped for the best - which isn't exactly how it turned out. So now I'm not sure what to do with the bookmark, because I have lost interest but the bookmark at least helps me know that I have already read it.

I don't know if it is coincidental but I read it around the time that they said DD is going to be pure evil, which is about the time that I decided that I definitely don't want DD pure evil & FS's father. With what I have been seeing in fan fic, that is not a good combination if the story writers have similar ideas as the fic writers. Or it just won't be my cup of tea. About the only DD as FS fic that I've been enjoying is Legacies We Leave,  and so far that one is rape free.

General O/F tag. And some are marked, but several aren't. The marking isn't really that helpful anyway, because that often includes allusions to rape or attempted rape or sexual violence in general, but these are really violent and graphic depictions. The Bratva gang rape story surprised the crap out of me. At least it illustrates why they can't go that deep into Oliver going bad with the Bratva in the show, because seriously, the story had her having been trafficked and raped by Bratva members literally standing in line. It was DISGUSTING.

• Love 2

I'm now feeling very lucky that 1) I only recently started reading Arrow fanfiction so all of the oldie, but goodies are still new to me, and 2) the author appreciation meme happening on Tumblr means I have a deep list of bookmarks to go through before needing to click on each new story.

As a palate cleanser, here are some lists.  Maybe you'll find something you've missed?

• Love 4

I encountered a story in which Felicity created a new life in Greece. At one point, Oliver has sex with Felicity while she is sleeping (after hours of consensual sex). Commenters blasted the author for not tagging it; she was defensive because she said it wasn't rape, but many commenters argued that sex without consent is always rape. I was heartened that readers spoke up and the writer caved.

I don't think there is any difference between rape and non-consent, and I don't understand why AO3 would allow a semantic differentiation that makes "non-consent" seem a lesser evil. I was horrified that readers can search for stories using rape/non-consent as a criterion!

I don't know if it is coincidental but I read it around the time that they said DD is going to be pure evil, which is about the time that I decided that I definitely don't want DD pure evil & FS's father. With what I have been seeing in fan fic, that is not a good combination if the story writers have similar ideas as the fic writers. Or it just won't be my cup of tea. About the only DD as FS fic that I've been enjoying is Legacies We Leave, and so far that one is rape free.

And it's going to stay that way. No worries on that front, please.

• Love 5

And it's going to stay that way. No worries on that front, please.

Thank you!! Loving your story!! Edge of my seat reading :) Thx for all of your hard work :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Honestly I have no idea where you guys see these stories... I'm on AO3 almost everyday (less so these days, but i go back in the pages to see if there is something interesting). and I can't say I came across any of these.. and i read from the general Arrow tab.

With that being said, I'm very selective on the stories I read these days- I can literally go into a story and hit the back button before I even reach the second paragraph. very few stories sustain my interest - lousy writing and all.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 4

I encountered a story in which Felicity created a new life in Greece. At one point, Oliver has sex with Felicity while she is sleeping (after hours of consensual sex). Commenters blasted the author for not tagging it; she was defensive because she said it wasn't rape, but many commenters argued that sex without consent is always rape. I was heartened that readers spoke up and the writer caved.

I don't think there is any difference between rape and non-consent, and I don't understand why AO3 would allow a semantic differentiation that makes "non-consent" seem a lesser evil. I was horrified that readers can search for stories using rape/non-consent as a criterion!

I don't feel like there's a difference either, definition-wise, but I usually see "non-con" or "dub-con" used as a warning in stories where both parties are not consenting, like when they're under the influence of some drug. 

• Love 1

My Rule of generally avoiding stories which seem to have less than 10 comments per chapter serves me quite well. I've seemed to have avoided a lot of the disturbing stuff that you guys have been posting about.

• Love 3

A couple of fic I'm enjoying:

let us always find each other (in every world, in every story) by imgoingtocrash.  For those who don't like Ray because he's the villain, so desperate for find Anna again that he bounces from universe to universe looking for a happy ending.  Felicity follows him trying to stop him and the author creates three complex and developed alternate universes, some where Oliver isn't the Arrow, some where Sara and Tommy still live.

For something very different, The Dark Prodigal by pulpklatura.  "Premise: What if Arrow occurred not in 2012 but 1812? Primarily driven by Oliver's desire to solve and avenge his father's murder (the additional 'e' is intentional)."

If you grew up on Georgette Heyer like me or like Regency fiction, it's a treat. She's done a lot of research with real settings and behaviour, unlike many historical fiction knock-off writers (e.g.Diggle was a batman during the war and kept from the woman he loves because of the colour of his skin), the stage to Bristol traveled 6 miles per hour).

And there are Easter eggs:

His father's correspondence regarding the building yielded little on Robert's intention for its exterior function was but extensive plans had been made for a series of secret tunnels and rooms for what would be Number 52 St James' Street. Oliver had made inquiries about the architects and builders and the general consensus was that the firm of Guggenheim, Kreisberg and Berlanti was recommended widely by the gaming hells and boudoirs across London. The firm was one known for upmost secrecy and quality – they never revealed the exact list of their clientele was and they kept no copies of any executed plans.

How could Felicity not wake up though and let him know if it was okay or not?  Unless she was drugged so heavily that she wasn't aware what was happening or couldn't respond enough to say "no", in which case I'd agree that it was rape, I would argue that realistically it would be consensual.  I know the new sex ed curriculum in Ontario specifies that the woman has to say "yes, I want to do this" but after consensual sex it should be okay just to say 'no' if you don't want it.  I mean, sometimes you just want to be able to get back to sleep again as soon as you can.  I'd rather save the rape tags for when it really is the case that she doesn't want it.

• Love 1
(edited)

How could Felicity not wake up though and let him know if it was okay or not?  Unless she was drugged so heavily that she wasn't aware what was happening or couldn't respond enough to say "no", in which case I'd agree that it was rape, I would argue that realistically it would be consensual.  I know the new sex ed curriculum in Ontario specifies that the woman has to say "yes, I want to do this" but after consensual sex it should be okay just to say 'no' if you don't want it.  I mean, sometimes you just want to be able to get back to sleep again as soon as you can.  I'd rather save the rape tags for when it really is the case that she doesn't want it.

She wasn't drugged. Here's the passage (hope it's okay for me to quote here): 

He slid into her, forcing a sleepy, confused moan out of her, and started thrusting impatiently. By the time she'd woken up enough to lift her head, he was finished, collapsing on top of her and crying out into her hair spread out like a dark mist on the pillow. Rolling onto his side, taking her with him, he passed out again, still buried inside her.

It was the weirdest thing to include, because they had just had tons of awake, fully consensual sex. Seems like she could've just had Oliver kiss Felicity awake or something, then they could've proceeded while they were both coherent. 

Edited by apinknightmare

So, I've got to ask - why does anyone care if there isn't a Funko pop Felicity figure out there? Are they such a pop culture mainstay in the US now that it takes something away from her because she hasn't been inducted? Is it like a Madam Tussauds thing - only for fictional characters? Why this intense campaigning?

• Love 1

I think it's about the value of Felicity as a character on the show.  If Oliver is important enough to have three figures, Slade has his as does the Canary and MM  (I forget the others) and now Diggle is getting one, Felicity deserves one too.  It's like the on-going putdown of Felicity that she's not a hero because she doesn't have a costume.

It was the weirdest thing to include, because they had just had tons of awake, fully consensual sex. Seems like she could've just had Oliver kiss Felicity awake or something, then they could've proceeded while they were both coherent. 

Thanks for the quote, apinknightmare.  You're right, it does seem weird (does Oliver have no refractory period?) and kind of icky to me in the description.  But at the risk of TMI, I've lost count of the number of times that situation happened to me in 25 years of marriage and I'd very strongly object to calling it rape.

• Love 5
(edited)

I really don't think it's a costume issue. Agent Carter's getting a Funko Pop figure and she doesn't have a costume. The GoT and Walking Dead characters don't have costumes. 

If people really want to get a Felicity one, go to anyone that custom makes them. Most of the one's I've seen actually put more detail into the figures than Funko does. You can ask for what accessories you want as well, laptop, red pen, etc...

Edited by Sakura12

I think it's about the value of Felicity as a character on the show.  If Oliver is important enough to have three figures, Slade has his as does the Canary and MM  (I forget the others) and now Diggle is getting one, Felicity deserves one too.  It's like the on-going putdown of Felicity that she's not a hero because she doesn't have a costume.

That's my reasoning. Every time Funko announces a new character, I bitch to my friend about it. If they can make a line of Duck Dynasty Funkos, or Hipster princesses, which is just the Disney princesses with black rimmed glasses, they can make me a freaking Felicity Funko. I have many feelings on this. 

• Love 6
(edited)

If its a custome thing, then I would say someone in CW/WB is making the final call on who gets made. According to the company (via Twitter), Felicity is the most requested Arrow character. But instead we get three different versions of Oliver and Diggle in the Arrow suit (that kind of annoys me. I want Diggle, but not in the Arrow suit). I have a feeling we will probably get another Diggle in his helmet before a Felicity doll. 

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 2

I don't know that it's a big deal, but there's an Oliver and a Diggle, so I guess people want a Felicity too? I have the Oliver and Diggle ones - it'd be nice to have Felicity to round out the OG3.

This is me. I couldn't care less about the status of Felicity being a Funko Pop! figure but I just want one because I collect all of my favorite characters and she's sadly missing. :(

Felicity is the most sought after Arrow Pop! So I'm guessing it's just that they're waiting until the right time (maybe around Christmas) to capitalize on that? IDK I think it's stupid to wait but I'm sure they're going to get around to it at some point. I also hope they do another version of Diggle because I don't like him in the arrow suit. 

So, I've got to ask - why does anyone care if there isn't a Funko pop Felicity figure out there? Are they such a pop culture mainstay in the US now that it takes something away from her because she hasn't been inducted? Is it like a Madam Tussauds thing - only for fictional characters? Why this intense campaigning?

I'm not concerned about the importance as much as I just want a Funko Pop Felicity doll because I want the complete core trio set when I buy. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Gross.

Diggle and David Ramsey both deserve so much better than what "Original Team Arrow" fans do to his character.

It's just light-hearted fun. 

Edited by Angel12d

Gross.

Diggle and David Ramsey both deserve so much better than what "Original Team Arrow" fans do to his character.

Calm down. It's all for the fun of it. And Stephen himself posted it so obviously he thought it was funny too? smh