Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

During breaks from shooting American Crime Story, DC seems to enjoy his work as festival co-organiser since Elsie Fest will be back for a third edition. Central Park in October? Weather can be tricky at that time of year in NYC, with one day being quite pleasant and the next one turning out damp and cool.

The line-up has not been announced yet, but I guess that since pre-sale begins this week he might discuss further details when he appears on the Today Show this Wednesday morning.

On 8/2/2017 at 4:07 PM, AutisticSpoonie said:

Is it just me but when the various TV shows/movies are made about the Trump administration is Matthew Morrison an absolute shoe in to play Paul Ryan. 

Ha.. people have been saying that they looked similar ever since Paul Ryan ran for VP in 2012.

After playing a shepherd who has sex with his sheep on Younger and a wife beater on Greys Anatomy I don't know if Paul Ryan would be a more or less depraved role. 

• Love 3

A Glee alumnum has joined the cast of an upcoming Broadway revival, along a well-known regular of the musical stage.

On 2017-08-05 at 2:36 PM, Pink ranger said:

After playing a shepherd who has sex with his sheep on Younger and a wife beater on Greys Anatomy I don't know if Paul Ryan would be a more or less depraved role. 

An interesting debate and moral dilemma to be sure.

Edited by Florinaldo
On 6/30/2017 at 2:07 AM, Florinaldo said:

With regards to the movie CC has been assigned to at Fox which I reported above, I mentioned that it is still "in development". Which means it could still be delayed or changes could be made, including cancellation. They felt confident enough to make the announcement, which is a good sign, but it would not be the first time a Hollywood production got derailed or go through major changes. CC must be well aware of that considering what happened with Noël, where an impressive leading cast had been announced. Since this one is from a major studio and not an indie production, there may be more certainty to this new project.

As for him being a youthful 27, people have to start at some point and many directors began their careers at an even earlier age; first-time directors are often assigned a technical assistant or an AD who is tasked with providing the technical expertise to help that person realising their vision or design, overall or for the trickier scenes.

Chris had said he was keeping the rights until he got a movie deal on his terms, else he wasn't doing a deal at all. Per the article and per what he said during his book tour, 20th offered him a deal with the level of control he wanted incl. script and directing, that's how the studio acquired the rights. They didn't own them beforehand to be "assigning" him to it. 

The studio announcement was for the deal with him and the production company, nothing more. They didn't announce a cast or a timeline. Chris said he's now working on the script and is on something like the fourth draft, and that a potential shoot is still a way away. Kevin McHale was attached to a movie project which got delayed twice, and hasn't been heard of since, but nobody can say with certainty that it won't be revived at some point. It's common knowledge that any project in any industry can be delayed, postponed or scrapped, so there's no point in speculating about it the minute it's announced - but maybe the intention was to indulge in that particular speculation. 

Not sure what a director's age or experience has to do with the existence of ADs and assistants - it's the nature of film production. Brian Dannelly wasn't any kind of novice when he directed Chris's first movie, yet he had a first AD, second AD, and second second AD and various assistants, on a low budget indie production. Steven Spielberg had at least 10 ADs of various ranks on a movie as recent as Bridge of Spies - he must've been in need of tons of technical expertise, the novice that he is.

That a studio will monitor their projects with any director goes without saying. I'm sure they'll have lots of input on the script, casting, etc. here as well. Is water wet? 

In such an exotic place, probably on the wings of Pegasus or unicorns. (There must be a "narrative" somewhere in there...)

Didn't think Ibiza's decades-world famous club and music scene needs explaining. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, fakeempress said:

Maybe that's why he was in China earlier this summer. He suddenly had to bow out of the Sondheim tribute at the Bowl -  though I can't say if this project was the reason.

Probably.He was back in China as of a few days ago too. Maybe he's going back and forth a lot.

He just had to drop out of a gala performance on September 7th, Jonathan Groff is taking over from him so he will probably be in China then. 

Glad that he is so busy in different fields.

Edited by Pink ranger
2 hours ago, Pink ranger said:

He just had to drop out of a gala performance on September 7th, Jonathan Groff is taking over from him so he will probably be in China then. 

Glad that he is so busy in different fields.

Either that or shooting " Grey's Anatomy."

On 12/08/2017 at 9:22 AM, fakeempress said:

Kevin McHale was attached to a movie project which got delayed twice, and hasn't been heard of since, but nobody can say with certainty that it won't be revived at some point. It's common knowledge that any project in any industry can be delayed, postponed or scrapped, so there's no point in speculating about it the minute it's announced - but maybe the intention was to indulge in that particular speculation. 

You might be surprised by how many people think that an announcement is equivalent to the start of shooting. Productions ebb and flow, as I clearly wrote myself; some get realized, others not, and changes happen. Remember that great two-part Hobbit directed by Guillermo del Toro which we all got to see some years back? Of course not, because  after production delays made it impossible for del Toro, Jackson eventually took it back and he made a tryptich out of it.

There is always an element of uncertainty in filmmaking so my point was that people should not get discouraged if a production that has been announced featuring a performer they favour takes a long time to reach the local screens.

Not sure what a director's age or experience has to do with the existence of ADs and assistants - it's the nature of film production. Brian Dannelly wasn't any kind of novice when he directed Chris's first movie, yet he had a first AD, second AD, and second second AD and various assistants, on a low budget indie production. Steven Spielberg had at least 10 ADs of various ranks on a movie as recent as Bridge of Spies - he must've been in need of tons of technical expertise, the novice that he is.

That a studio will monitor their projects with any director goes without saying. I'm sure they'll have lots of input on the script, casting, etc. here as well. Is water wet? 

You clearly missed my point. Of course there are ADs (and other technical staff) on just about any production, but the label "Assistant Director" encompasses a wide diversity of roles and functions, even in a single movie shoot, which may explain your confusion; for example, an AD can arrange crowd scenes, another be a glorified gopher or deal with electrical and lighting, act as a close and trusted advisor to the director, or even become de facto director when the titular one is uninterested in the nitty-gritty of filmmaking (it is less frequent these days, but was known to happen in earlier decades). It depends on personality, experience, budget, and other factors.

Which is why I specifically referenced the technical aspects in my two-pronged scenario, which read "a technical assistant or an AD who is tasked with providing the technical expertise to help that person realising their vision or design, overall or for the trickier scenes", explicitely indicating that such a person, whatever their title might be, would provide the missing technical skills that a new director might not be proficient in, yet.

Implying that experience is not a factor in the extent to which a director, young or old, will need as far as technical support is contradicted by the reality of film production. Just as comparing present day Steven Spielberg's crew arrangements and allocation of tasks amongst ADs to those in the case of an untried director's (or even to SS in his first more modest efforts in the 70s) is a specious argument. The number of AD's (and other crew) will of course be dependent on the scope of the production and on the specific needs of a director; technical support crews will be bigger on big projects.  New directors may know what they want to achieve, but they may not yet be able to figure out how to achieve it on screen and need someone to assist them. That is the role cinematographer Gregg Toland played with Orson Welles on the latter's first feature; in the following years OW became so familiar with lenses, focal lengths, lighting and how all those factors interact that he knew at least as much as his DPs how a shot would turn out exactly. In contrast, Jean Cocteau used other established directors like René Clément and Claude Pinoteau as technical advisors for his later film projects because he felt he needed technical skills in which he was lacking, despite already having a number of films under his belt.

So yes, as a new director like CC will need more direct support that a veteran would. But, as I wrote in my quoted post, this applies to any fledgling director, at whatever age they embark on a new career.

I do not believe that CC suckled at the teats of the cinematographic gods and was thus preternaturally imbued with the full set of filmmaking skills and knowledge. Like anyone embarking on a new job, in whatever field of activity, he will need support and on-the-job training. Is the sea salty?

I do not believe I raised in my post, or even implied, the issue of studio supervision, which is a whole other kettle of fish.

Edited by Florinaldo
6 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

Per Chris Colfer, I think it kinda cool that a 27 year old is going to write/direct and produce a major studio movie.  How that elicites longwinded explanations of his inexperience and need of technical assistance is beyond me.  Fuck, Good luck to him and let's move on.

On another positive note, Amber Riley is going to have an album released entitled "Songs from  the Stage" which I'm assuming means it is a showtunes album.  So thrilled for her.

The first episode of "Mayor" with Lea Michele is already streaming online before it's official premeire if anyone wants to view it.  Found it amusing and the lead character played by Brandon Michael Hall was charming.  As to Lea, I thought her character was  "Rachelish" in being driven and very focused and she did more than fine.   Would like to see how they flesh her character out as the season progresses.

I also thought the pilot was cute. Lea's character had some grounding and a sense of humour that sets her apart from Rachel, and Lea played that well. She has such strong comedic chops, I also enjoyed watching her in what little I saw of Scream Queens. 

Edited by fakeempress

You clearly missed my point. Of course there are ADs (and other technical staff) on just about any production, but the label "Assistant Director" encompasses a wide diversity of roles and functions, even in a single movie shoot, which may explain your confusion ... Implying that experience is not a factor in the extent to which a director, young or old, will need as far as technical support is contradicted by the reality of film production.... Which is why I specifically referenced the technical aspects in my two-pronged scenario, which read "a technical assistant or an AD who is tasked with providing the technical expertise to help that person realising their vision or design, overall or for the trickier scenes", explicitely indicating that such a person, whatever their title might be, would provide the missing technical skills that a new director might not be proficient in, yet.

And here I thought the actual job of any AD is to tech assist their director regardless of who and how experienced he or she is. Simply because no director can do everything by their lonesome unless we're talking home movies.

There are enough googleable sites with excruciating detail on the actual duties of the first, second, second second, third, etc. AD, and blogs like http://howtofilmschool.com/working-as-a-1st-assistant-director/ -- so I'm not in the least bit "confused". Nowhere do they even imply that these people are hired because a director may be "missing skills". They make it perfectly clear it's a matter of division of labour - if that wasn't obvious already. 

But just in case I'm blanking on crucial info, care to say which AD was tasked (allegedly) with handholding Matt Morrison as a first-time director on that Glee episode and supplied all the skills Matt was (allegedly) missing? 

You might be surprised by how many people think that an announcement is equivalent to the start of shooting. Productions ebb and flow, as I clearly wrote myself;....There is always an element of uncertainty in filmmaking so my point was that people should not get discouraged if a production that has been announced featuring a performer they favour takes a long time to reach the local screens.

I'm sure people on this board are clued in on all that already.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Dianna is also going to direct in a feature (iirc she's done one or more shorts before):

"Love is in the air for Helen Mirren, Keira Knightley and Jim Sturgess. The trio have joined the cast of Berlin, I Love You, which marks the latest film in the Cities of Love anthology series launched by Emmanuel Benbihy that already has tackled tales of romance in Paris and New York. Written by Neil La Bute and David Vernon, Berlin, I Love You segments are being directed by Fernando Eimbcke, Dennis Gansel, Massy Tadjedin, Peter Chelsom, Til Schweiger, Justin Franklin, Dani Levy and Dianna Agron. Josef Rusnak will helm the transition sequence that ties all the episodes together." 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/keira-knightley-helen-mirren-join-berlin-i-love-you-tiff-2017-1036882

The movie Blake Jenner wrote and acts in - now called Juvenile - is screening at the San Diego Film Festival, and Blake is getting a Rising Star award there. Glee casting director Robert Ulrich is producing, and Brad Buecker is directing. Melissa Benoist is also in the movie but doesn't sound likely she'll have any hand now in promoting it. Some interesting detail how the movie was financed and made in this article, incl.  Buecker's total revamp of the movie:

"Once shot, they screened it for months and, after listening to the input, did more shooting in 2015. In 2016, they were ready to send it to festivals, but Buecker had other ideas. “Brad decided to re-imagine it and, from scratch, he cut an entirely different movie – because he’s a genius,” Ulrich said. “We suddenly felt like we had a whole other movie. The film went from focusing solely on the linear story of Billy to being more about grief, the processing of grief and how life isn’t always, in fact, so linear. It’s also when the name changed because it became more than just about the lead character. This version is much more stylized.”

And speaking of Glee people branching into other roles, Ulrich and Blake's brother have formed a production company and have other projects in the works. 

http://www.modbee.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article174734516.html

Edited by fakeempress

http://deadline.com/2017/09/the-arrangement-glee-jacob-artist-recur-season-2-e-1202167386/

Glee alum Jacob Artist has booked a recurring role on the upcoming second season of E!’s hit series The Arrangement.

From Universal Cable Productions and Emmy-winning writer/EP Jonathan Abrahams (Mad Men), the series stars Josh Henderson, Christine Evangelista, Lexa Doig and Michael Vartan in a Hollywood love story that brings to life the darker side of fame. Artist will play Wes Blaker, a charming young man with a sharp sense of humor and a dark side.

Best known as Jake Puckerman (aka Melissa Benoist’s love interest) on Fox’s Glee, and for his recurring role on ABC’s Quantico, Artist will next be seen in a starring role in the upcoming Brant Sersen-directed horror film Party Crashers, as well as feature Blood Money alongside John Cusack. He’s repped by Gersh and David Dean Management.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2017 at 10:49 PM, fakeempress said:

I also thought the pilot was cute. Lea's character had some grounding and a sense of humour that sets her apart from Rachel, and Lea played that well. She has such strong comedic chops, I also enjoyed watching her in what little I saw of Scream Queens. 

yeah people already yelling she is just like Rachel due to one line.  But that one line it showed how she wasn't like Rachel. She has a sense a humor which Rachel did not really and she already showed she was a team player and not out for the spotlight but it make someone else better.   Val her new character might be a type A but is sarcastic and much more mature and calming.

Amber is performing with her two co-stars at the Royal Variety Performance (Nov. 24)

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a841980/royal-variety-2017-miranda-hart-louis-tomlinson-james-blunt-tokio-myers/

The three of them are also putting out an album.

‘This album is by women for women – and any man who wants to buy it,’ says Amber. ‘We are three very different ladies with very different life experiences. We are different ages, different shapes and from different ethnic backgrounds but we all love music and that has bonded us. The album is full of emotion, full of joy and, we hope, a bit of old-fashioned glamour.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-5044033/Meet-Diva-dream-team.html

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Quick roundup: Alex Newell performed with the cast of Once on This Island at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The show is currently in previews on Broadway and will open on December 3.

Amber is listed on IMDb as a main cast member for a new TV show called Fly, about Black flight attendants based in Atlanta. This is in addition to her new record with Beverley Knight and Cassidy Janson (the Leading Ladies), called Songs From the Stage. She also collaborated with Boyz II Men on their recent album called Under the Streetlight.

Darren will play the serial killer Andrew Cunanan in the upcoming American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Additionally, he just announced a new solo EP, called Homework, which is now available on his website.

• Love 3
(edited)

Groff has started filming season 2 of Mindhunter, so that (given Fincher's style of film making) will tie him up for the rest of the year, maybe more. Don't know if he's completed all the voice work for Frozen 2 yet. 

Enjoyed the 36 questions podcast musical he did and hope that the Bobby Darin Story that he did at 92Y turns into something down the road for him. 

Edited by Casual Viewing
(edited)
On 5/3/2018 at 6:06 PM, Trini said:

Wow, post Glee Jenna is the first cast member to win a TONY, as one of the producers her musical won “best revival of a musical” in tonite’s Ceremony.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5
On 4/26/2018 at 4:41 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Trailer for Harry Shum's new movie Crazy Rich Asians (I didn't spot him in the trailer but he's definitely in the movie!):

I’m very excited for this. 

• Love 1

Hoping everybody saw 'Crazy Rich Asians.'  Unfortunately our favorite boy, Harry, was cut from the movie, though he does have an important mid-credits cameo AND is still 6th billed on the credits!  Since CRA is doing well at the box office, here's hoping they're going to make China Rich Girlfriend, and Harry gets to expand his role.  AND they include him in any deleted scenes on the DVD.

Here's the director explanation of why Harry's part was cut:  https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/15/crazy-rich-asians-mid-credits-scene-harry-shum-jr-gemma-chan/

• Love 2