Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

Since it's filmed in NY, quite a few BW actors have had gigs on " the Good Wife", including MIchael Cerveris, Aaron Vdeit, and Glee's Jonathan Groff.

Leslie Odom JR was also in the most recent

episode, and Steven Pasquale had a story arc a few seasons ago. Christian Borle has a recurring role too. It's always fun to spot the Broadway stars.

Matthew started the good wife only 4 days after his last performance on finding Neverland. After 10 months as a Broadway leading man he could have just taken a break but he said that he was big fan of the show so he's probably really enjoying the job and the extra pay check,

Last episode had Matt Morrison nose-to-nose in a confrontation with Alan Cumming's Eli a Gold character, and I had an irrational hope that they would break into dramatic song. Alas, no.

He tweeted a while ago about some exciting times happening in Los Angeles. This town where the festival is is 50 miles away from LA but it could be what he was referring to.

Edited by Pink ranger

Blake Jenner's new movie getting a release this week, the Linklater directed "Everbody wants some!!" is getting rave reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes it has a 92% positive rating score. Blake plays one of the lead characters (if not the lead) so it's nice to see this.

I can see Blake as a young Harrison Ford now looking at both of them. It would be amazing if he gets the Han Solo role. How often does an almost 40 year old blockbuster movie franchise open cast for a largely unknown 20 something actor for a leading man role? That's a once in a generation opportunity.

Also the producers are obviously happy with him since he was originally only signed for 4 episodes but that was later extended to probably the finale.

I'm thinking they changed the storyline because it's the last season. But that's purely speculation on my part.

• Love 1

kevinmchale-news:

"Glee alum Kevin McHale and Dylan Walsh (Unforgettable) have booked recurring roles in When We Rise, ABC’s seven-episode event limited series about the gay rights movement, written and executive produced by Dustin Lance Black.

When We Rise chronicles the personal and political struggles, setbacks and triumphs of a diverse family of men and women who helped pioneer one of the last legs of the U.S. civil rights struggle.

McHale will play AIDS activist Bobbi Campbell. Walsh is Dr. Marcus Conant, a role based on leading American dermatologist Conant, who was one of the first physicians to diagnose and treat AIDS in 1981.

McHale starred as Artie Abrams on all six seasons of Fox’s Glee. He also stars in Hallmark Hall of Fame movie Hear My Song opposite Dustin Hoffman, set to premiere April 16 on CBS. He’s repped by Greene & Associates Talent Agency and M/C Talent Management. Walsh will next be seen in indie feature C Street and recently wrapped his role as Al Burns on crime drama series Unforgettable. He’s repped by Gersh and manager Bob McGowan."

• Love 1

I guess I'll be the one to drag this over here. Darren's playing Prince Eric in two shows of some franken hybrid of The Little Mermaid movie and Broadway show at the Hollywood Bowl in June. Uncle Jesse is also involved as Chef Louis (and has a much better song as the Broadway version of Little Mermaid is iffy at best). Titus Burgess as Sebastian actually makes me more interested than anything else. Here's the variety link for the rest if you care to learn more.

I think it's perfect casting, an actor who became famous singing teenage dream playing what a disney prince is, a teenage dream.

Keep in mind that I deeply dislike Darren, but his voice isn't strong enough for most Broadway songs IMO.

The little mermaid score is more pop than traditional broadway though. There are multiple generations of five year olds who tourtured their parents singing " under the sea" while banging on pots and pans because of that.

The little mermaid score is more pop than traditional broadway though. There are multiple generations of five year olds who tourtured their parents singing " under the sea" while banging

on pots and pans because of that.

At least one of the Prince Eric songs( " Her Voice") is a soaring ballad, though.

I find Darren a really dull choice. I mean don't get me wrong he'll be just fine and the audience will have no complaints, (unless he does a Nick Jonas). And it's not just Darren, the whole cast seems very uninspiring.

I find Darren a really dull choice. I mean don't get me wrong he'll be just fine and the audience will have no complaints, (unless he does a Nick Jonas). And it's not just Darren, the whole cast seems very uninspiring.

The whole thing seems uninspiring but it  just  a one of concert of songs and not a condense production of a musical.

I guess they have few kid orientated events each summer.

Edited by tom87

Kevin's miniseries sounds interesting. Wonder how large his role is.

It is always hard with these things.   This makes it sound like the story is about these two but later on he could be in one episode.

Like they made big deals the casting of some folks on AHS:  America vs OJ and they ended up with like 2 scenes and a few lines.

Edited by tom87

Kevin's miniseries sounds interesting. Wonder how large his role is.

He flew into Vancouver at the start of the second episode so he's likely not in the first (I say likely because they're also going to be shooting scenes at The Castro so I don't know if he could be slotted in later), but the activist he's playing was a huge deal in the San Francisco gay community as well as nationally (he was the first out gay man on the cover of Newsweek, was vocal about having AIDS--an anomaly for obvious reasons). It's an 8 hour miniseries and he's recurring, at any rate, and if the role is small it'll still wind up being an important one.

He flew into Vancouver at the start of the second episode so he's likely not in the first (I say likely because they're also going to be shooting scenes at The Castro so I don't know if he could be slotted in later), but the activist he's playing was a huge deal in the San Francisco gay community as well as nationally (he was the first out gay man on the cover of Newsweek, was vocal about having AIDS--an anomaly for obvious reasons). It's an 8 hour miniseries and he's recurring, at any rate, and if the role is small it'll still wind up being an important one.

He was also known as the " KS Poster Boy." Bobbi Campbell was a very important figure during that time.

(edited)

A couple of days ago Finding Neverland announced its closing at the end of  August. Right now it's recouped 60% of its initial investment. Matthew left the show back in January. I don't really know how that reflects his effectiveness as a " box office draw" but I am glad that it didn't close while he was in it. It will have run for about a year and a half in total by closure. 

Edited by Pink ranger

I think he was clearly a good box office draw initially, but that can only take a show so far. The lack of Tony nominations especially hurt it. Other shows with even bigger stars have flopped too.

I think there was a lot of ill will towards Finding Neverland due to Weinstein's involvement, thus the Tony snubs and ripple effect on box office.  There seemed to be a lot of people wanting it to fail.  Still I think it did better than expected by many.

It's hard to say how much of a draw Matt created. Maybe if his role on Glee hadn't been so restricted after season 2, and if Glee hadn't slid so much in popularity, his presence in FN would have made a bigger difference in it's longevity. 

In other news, Jonathan Groff was nominated for a Tony for best featured actor in a musical, although I expect Daveed will win the category. Meanwhile, Jon starts filming the Mindhunter series this week.  It's been interesting comparing his career choices to Lea's since they left Spring Awakening. 

(edited)

I can't believe there is actual discussion about Matt Morrison's so called questionable box office draw.  He kept the show open for 10 months on Broadway with above average grosses, something that many big "names" have failed to do in recent months.  

Edited by caracas1914
On 5/9/2016 at 4:33 AM, Casual Viewing said:

In other news, Jonathan Groff was nominated for a Tony for best featured actor in a musical, although I expect Daveed will win the category. Meanwhile, Jon starts filming the Mindhunter series this week.  It's been interesting comparing his career choices to Lea's since they left Spring Awakening. 

Yeah both different paths (one with no long term contract obligation) yet both still doing very well.

Between them they have  individual Tony, Golden Globe, Emmy nominations.  And nominations and/or wins for  group Grammy, SAG, and more popularity awards such as  Bway Audience award, People choice awards,  etc.

• Love 1

Lea Michele and Robert Buckley are heading to another dimension.

The Glee and iZombie stars have been tapped to star in Hulu’s six-episode anthology drama Dimension 404, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The anthology series draws inspiration from the Internet’s notorious “404” error code and aims to evoke the feeling of wandering onto the weird side of the web at 3 a.m., stumbling upon stories that cannot be explained in the world as we know it. Among the sorts of questions explored in the series: What if an obscure cartoon held the secret to time travel? What if energy drinks caused the apocalypse? What if the NSA’s top analyst was a gigantic, all-knowing cube of sentient meat named Bob?

Michele will star as Amanda, the female lead in one of the six stand-alone hourlong episodes. Amanda is a witty, ambitious, type-A girl with a warm heart who turns to Matchmaker services to suit her rebound dating needs after a bad breakup.

Buckley will star alongside Michele as Adam, who falls hard for Amanda after an online date and whose breakup forces him to confront a series of truths about his life.

Additionally, Ryan Lee (Trophy Wife) will also topline a subsequent episode set in 1982 and play Andrew, a teen introvert and video game addict who is bullied by classmates.

Dimension 404 is created by Dez Dolly and Will Campos.  Dan Johnson and David Welch co-created the series, which is executive produced and directed by Freddie Wong, Matthew Arnold and Dolly, serves as showrunner.

Michele (Scream Queens) is repped by WME and Sloane Offer; Buckley (One Tree Hill) is with WME, Interlink Management and McKuin Frankel; Lee is with APA, Principato-Young and Myman Greenspan.

http://fyeahgleeclub.tumblr.com

The Scream Queens hospital is quickly filling up: EW can exclusively reveal that actor James Earl (Glee) will be joining season 2 of Fox’s horror comedy as a regular and one of the male leads alongside John Stamos and Taylor Lautner.

Earl, who most recently appeared on Fox’s Cooper Barrett’s Guide to Surviving Life, will play a character named Candy Striper in the second season, which is set in a creepy hospital owned by Jamie Lee Curtis’ Cathy Munsch.

Queens reunites Earl with Glee creators Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk, and Ian Brennan. The actor played Azimio, a member of the McKinley Titans football team who often bullied the New Directions members.

Scream Queens premieres Sept. 20th at 9pm on Fox.

I haven't watched Scream Queens, but I know American Crime Story lost a lot of the racist hallmark Ryan Murphy was known for, possibly because he didn't write it. So could this be a decent role or is Scream Queens similar to Glee and AHS and he's there to die, be evil or be saved by by a white person? 

On 9 May 2016 at 10:33 AM, Casual Viewing said:

I always think the phrase 'career choices' is misleading. Unless you're a huge star like Russell Crowe or Scarlet Johannson you don't make career choices. And as much as Jonathon and Lea are good they're not in that league. I suspect pretty much all the glee cast are in the league of audition for everything and take what they're offered. 

(edited)
9 hours ago, Slj said:

I always think the phrase 'career choices' is misleading. Unless you're a huge star like Russell Crowe or Scarlet Johannson you don't make career choices. And as much as Jonathon and Lea are good they're not in that league. I suspect pretty much all the glee cast are in the league of audition for everything and take what they're offered. 

I would bet  some have had offers for various roles and have declined them for various reasons.    I think there are different degrees/quality in what type of things they are offered. 

Even being offered endorsements or accepting invitations to certain events is a choice one must make for their career. 

Like I don't see Matthew Morrison auditioning for his part on The Good Wife his agent probalby let them know he would be interested and they loved using the Bway community.

Of course big roles in major projects are a different story.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1
(edited)

Networking seems to be the main way actors get work aside from auditioning. I believe that Chris knew the Hot in Cleveland producers ? And they offered him that role.

Matthew said that he got the Good Wife job after meeting the Kings last year. They where supposed to be taking about Braindead but he kept  fanboying over TGW. Given the ratings of Braindead, things probably worked out for the best though. 

Edited by Pink ranger
(edited)
7 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

And didn't Ryan Murphy offer Lea the role on " Scream Queens?" I don't think Darren had to audition for " Hedwig" either, but I'm just guessing.

Ryan wrote the role for Lea and yes I think Darren knew the Hedwig writer.

I think Amber even said they called her for The Wiz.  

9 hours ago, Pink ranger said:

Networking seems to be the main way actors get work aside from auditioning. I believe that Chris knew the Hot in Cleveland producers ? And they offered him that role.

Pretty sure that is how Chris ended up in Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie too.

I wouldn't doubt Lea working that new show with Robert Buckley was a referral by one or the other.

Edited by tom87
(edited)

IIRC Amber still had to fly in to audition for the producers of the Wiz.

Sure, some actors get opportunities because a producer/writer/director/casting thought of them or worked previously with them , but at this  point I think most of of the Glee cast will get some of that, even if it's not A list roles or parts.  

What I don't think is that actor's careers follow such a straight path per "choices"; many times what looks like a role with a great pedigree doesn't ultimately pan out as spectacularly successful.  Plus you have situations such as Jonathan Groff's "Looking" series being cancelled allowing him to take the King George role in "Hamilton" and we all know how that turned out for him.

You read all the time that even what looked like less than successful projects (ie low ratings/box office) caught the eye of someone and the actor got another part because of it.  I just don't think it's that cut and dry.

As to Lea, she went from a successful Broadway show (Spring Awakening) to (as of now) 8 consecutive years in a leading role on  prime time major network shows (Glee & Scream Queens) , not so bad as far as "choices".

Edited by caracas1914
5 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

IIRC Amber still had to fly in to audition for the producers of the Wiz.

Sure, some actors get opportunities because a producer/writer/director/casting thought of them or worked previously with them , but at this  point I think most of of the Glee cast will get some of that, even if it's not A list roles or parts.  

What I don't think is that actor's careers follow such a straight path per "choices"; many times what looks like a role with a great pedigree doesn't ultimately pan out as spectacularly successful.  Plus you have situations such as Jonathan Groff's "Looking" series being cancelled allowing him to take the King George role in "Hamilton" and we all know how that turned out for him.

You read all the time that even what looked like less than successful projects (ie low ratings/box office) caught the eye of someone and the actor got another part because of it.  I just don't think it's that cut and dry.

As to Lea, she went from a successful Broadway show (Spring Awakening) to (as of now) 8 consecutive years in a leading role on  prime time major network shows (Glee & Scream Queens) , not so bad as far as "choices".

Choice is maybe a bit optimistic.  So many other things happen before they can ultimately choose to take  a particular job or not.

Luck is the unknown but vital factor. 

When Melissa signed on to Whiplash I doubt that she realistically though that it would win and nominated for several Oscars. That started  as a rather humble indie that snowballed. 

She chose the project but was lucky that it became successful. 

(edited)

Could be hindsight, but seems to me Dianna's indie career since The Family is a conscious choice - unlikely that more conventional movie offers have dried up.

In terms of acting, Chris seems (for the time being) to go by his bucket list or else by what excites him, not so much for career potential or just cause he knows the people. Meaning, for instance, that he took the HiC gig to work with Betty White and the lady talent rather than just cause he's friends with one of the show's EPs (being friends helps of course). But I also suspect he hasn't had that many offers which aren't Kurt clones. 

I think what creates more choices for Melissa and Blake in particular (apart from their more conventional appeal) is that they aren't as defined by their Glee roles as some of the original cast. 

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

Jonathan is still enjoying exploring the various acting mediums; he isn't keen on tying himself down to roles that are lengthy.  Shows like Glee, Boss, Looking and now Mindhunter, allow him that kind of freedom; as does doing vocals for Frozen and its sequels.

His time in Hamilton was the longest commitment he's done since Spring Awakening and turned out longer then he'd anticipated, but even while in Hamilton he did alot of one offs or side projects.

I think that for both him and Chris, who they get to work with (actors, writers, directors) is fairly important to them and they take that into consideration when accepting a role.

Yes all actors have to eat and so some of the roles they may choose are to pay the rent, but there are actors who act for the joy/challenge of performing and then there are those who do it just for the money/ fame/ and adulation.  The latter tend to rely on their looks instead of having or developing  talent. Funny how the name Amber Heard immediately jumped into my head just as I typed that last bit. :-)

ETA.  I think too that when an actor is good to work with then word spreads and others are eager to work with them,  and then more opportunities come their way. It's a snowball effect. Likewise if an actor is a real pain to work with, word gets around and fewer and fewer opportunities come their way (unless they can guarantee being a  big fandom draw.)   The hard part for an actor is getting the audition, getting noticed. Once they land the roles a lot will then depend on their talent level and attitude as to what opportunities come next. . 

Edited by Casual Viewing
ETA
(edited)

I am guessing different actors decide on parts for different reasons.    Some may be the type who need a different project every so often to get them going some may love the continuity of a long term project.     Some may find having movies challenging having to get the character down in a few weeks,  while others may like developing a character over a long season. I think doing the same play over and over again  could get boring but  some actors may like the audience feed back so much it remains a challenge.  Same  for  like NCIS or SUV actors do they  find that all that challenging still its not like any of them  seem to just be doing it for the money.  I mean how much more more does Mark Harmon need?   So it probably is still  joyful even if it not groundbreaking or a new challenge.

More power to all of them to continue to try to make the most of the  opportunities presented to them.   Be it is a wide variety of  projects in different mediums or a long running gig  I hope they get to do what works for them.

Edited by pete

GLEE Star Becca Tobin Joins Cast of HAIRSPRAY LIVE! as Amber Von Tussle

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/GLEE-Star-Becca-Tobin-Joins-Cast-of-HAIRSPRAY-LIVE-as-Amber-Von-Tussle-20160708 …

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tom87 said:

GLEE Star Becca Tobin Joins Cast of HAIRSPRAY LIVE! as Amber Von Tussle

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/GLEE-Star-Becca-Tobin-Joins-Cast-of-HAIRSPRAY-LIVE-as-Amber-Von-Tussle-20160708 …

I think that may not be true.  Becca tweeted, "Some days you open Twitter to see a leaked photo of your vagina and other days it's a false press release about a job you booked"

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I think that may not be true.  Becca tweeted, "Some days you open Twitter to see a leaked photo of your vagina and other days it's a false press release about a job you booked"

yeah  it was false.  Bwayworld.com  didn't even seem to issue a correction though.

Edited by tom87

Chord Overstreet will guest star on Disney XD's "Pickle and Peanut" on July 18

MONDAY, JULY 18

Pickle and Peanut “What Lies Beneath / The Rat King Moves In” (11:00 – 11:30 A.M. EDT) 

“What Lies Beneath” – Pickle and Peanut dig up the carpet at Pickle’s house and discover something fun and destructive. 

“The Rat King Moves In” – When Peanut and the Rat King trade places, Peanut finds that ruling a legion of minions is cooler that he thought it would be. Chord Overstreet (“Glee”) guest stars as Scampi.

I watched very little of Season 6 Glee and I paid hardly any attention to that season's newbies.  Still, I'm happy for Samantha Ware.  I'm sure she'll do great.  Also, Chord's gig sounds good.  I think he'll do well as a voice actor.