Type keyword(s) to search

Joyce Giraud de Ohoven: Don't Call Her Jacqueline

• Start Topic

I agree that both Yolanda and Brandi showed their racist asses with Joyce.

Shit, I am now angry all over again!

The hair comment in the pool was the worst.

I thought Brandi was implying surprise that Joyce would use the pool/swim since racists think black people can't swim (isn't that the stereotype? weird and I wonder how it came to be). Joyce's long silky hair could clog a drain but so could Kyle's hair. I'd go back and re-watch it but I'm trying to avoid getting all worked up. Yo is such a hypocrite--talking about how ladies shouldn't get messy drunk yet she hung out with sloppy ass Brandi, the town drunk! Yo & bg deserve each other.

• Love 5

I think Kyle and LVP bring the most to the show but I agree that it's puzzling why Joyce wasn't given more of a chance. I blame Andy and to a lesser extent Brandi. Andy seemed like he just did not like Joyce for whatever reason. He didn't even like it when she mentioned that her tagline wasn't her favorite but was something she had no control over. He seemed like he didn't care about her perspective during the reunion at all. Oh, and he seemed like he thought Brandi's "Sochi's calling" line was hysterical.

But I think that's exactly why Andy didn't like Joyce. She lifted the curtain a few times, and that's a big no-no in HW land. As a viewer I love the little glimpses behind-the-scenes. Not so much with Bravo. Andy always haaaaaates when someone insinuates that the HWs shows aren't 100% authentic and real. (If you say so, Andrew.)

A couple of times Joyce wouldn't hesitate to call out the editors/producers on how manufactured things were. I think that's an even quicker way of getting axed and having TPTB hate you. Maybe even more than not bringing the drama. 

Joyce could have been interesting because she was no pushover, but I think she royally screwed herself over with constantly blabbing about the smoke and mirrors. You're getting paid lots of money for a few months of work; if she wanted to stick around, then she should have just kept her mouth shut and figured out a way to allude to things the way the other women do without actually calling attention to the puppet strings. Unlike Brandi, she seems to be doing just fine without the show, so perhaps she was all outta fucks to give.

• Love 13

Joyce will always be a favorite of mine due to an interview she did while her season was airing. She broke the fourth wall and called out Yo and Brandi for trying to manipulate her against LVP.

The original interview seems to no longer exist but here is a summary. It shows how premeditated the eventual attempt at a take down was and why yo was so nasty to her at the reunion.

http://www.realitytea.com/2014/01/13/joyce-giraud-spills-behind-the-scenes-details-about-brandi-glanvilles-manipulative-behavior/

I loved this interview as well, but will always believe it was part of the reason she wasn't asked back. She was to new to break the fourth wall. Then she talked about not liking her tagline, saying that she had no choice, and blamed the show for making her wear a silly dress to the reunion. We have learned that the show makes each gal bring 4 or 5 dresses, then tells them which one would work the best. It was her dress and she brought it, but then blamed the show because people were saying it didn't look good. If she was an old-time gal, she might have been able to get away with it, but being so new I think there were fears as to what she might reveal in the future. The others hate it when anyone consistently blames production for things that make them look bad.

• Love 6

Oooh, I'd never read that interview. 

It's certainly an interesting letter when I think of Yolanda's email to Kyle where she's accusing Kyle of making drama for the show. If Joyce is to be believed, and I don't see why she shouldn't be, Yolanda was happily engaging in the very thing she's accusing Kyle of doing. They all do it btw. They're all trying to make good TV but Yolanda has always wanted to pretend that she's above it all.

Damn it I wish we could see some of those scenes. I'd like more of these "lost footage" episodes because there's clearly some worthwhile stuff that's been left off of the table. 

• Love 7

I thought Brandi was implying surprise that Joyce would use the pool/swim since racists think black people can't swim (isn't that the stereotype? weird and I wonder how it came to be).

Two reasons.  Oprah said on her show several times that she didn't learn to swim because of how the water affected her hair and she REFUSED to wear a bathing cap.

Second, many poor rural and urban schools don't have swimming pools.  A lot of my Catholic female friends who went to school in the 1960s never learned to swim because Catholic schools also don't have pools.  If you watch Survivor, the majority of black contestants can't swim (when swimming is part of a competition.)  One black contestant actually won a team competition because he was a champion college swimmer.  Same issue with American Ninja Warrior.  Last year, a black contestant nearly drowned because he couldn't swim and no one realized it. He fell off a obstacle and had to call out to production to rescue him.  

• Love 4

Joyce will always be a favorite of mine due to an interview she did while her season was airing. She broke the fourth wall and called out Yo and Brandi for trying to manipulate her against LVP.

The original interview seems to no longer exist but here is a summary. It shows how premeditated the eventual attempt at a take down was and why yo was so nasty to her at the reunion.

http://www.realitytea.com/2014/01/13/joyce-giraud-spills-behind-the-scenes-details-about-brandi-glanvilles-manipulative-behavior/

Interesting - I know Bravo pays well but it would really make me sick to be a part of such set-ups and editing.
  • Love 2

Two reasons.  Oprah said on her show several times that she didn't learn to swim because of how the water affected her hair and she REFUSED to wear a bathing cap.

Second, many poor rural and urban schools don't have swimming pools.  A lot of my Catholic female friends who went to school in the 1960s never learned to swim because Catholic schools also don't have pools.  If you watch Survivor, the majority of black contestants can't swim (when swimming is part of a competition.)  One black contestant actually won a team competition because he was a champion college swimmer.  Same issue with American Ninja Warrior.  Last year, a black contestant nearly drowned because he couldn't swim and no one realized it. He fell off a obstacle and had to call out to production to rescue him.  

First episode of Survivor this current season, had a black guy who could swim 

he was the first one voted off;(

• Love 2

But I think that's exactly why Andy didn't like Joyce. She lifted the curtain a few times, and that's a big no-no in HW land. As a viewer I love the little glimpses behind-the-scenes. Not so much with Bravo. Andy always haaaaaates when someone insinuates that the HWs shows aren't 100% authentic and real. (If you say so, Andrew.)

A couple of times Joyce wouldn't hesitate to call out the editors/producers on how manufactured things were. I think that's an even quicker way of getting axed and having TPTB hate you. Maybe even more than not bringing the drama. 

Joyce could have been interesting because she was no pushover, but I think she royally screwed herself over with constantly blabbing about the smoke and mirrors. You're getting paid lots of money for a few months of work; if she wanted to stick around, then she should have just kept her mouth shut and figured out a way to allude to things the way the other women do without actually calling attention to the puppet strings. Unlike Brandi, she seems to be doing just fine without the show, so perhaps she was all outta fucks to give.

Now lets see if Andy gives Yolanda the heave ho for her pulling the curtain back showing production with that letter to Kyle which she chose to make public in her blog this week. Oh, and wonders of wonders, it is now gone! LOL I say fire Yolanda and bring Joyce back.

• Love 11

I agree--> Fire Yoliar and bring back Joyce!

Remember how Andy was so harsh on Ramona for not wanting to talk about her divorce at the reunion. I wonder if he will do the same with Yoliar.

It will all depend on where the public is leading toward and of course if it benefits Andy in any way(mainly monetarily since that is all he cares about)

As far as the hair comment, my grandmother never learned how to swim both because she grew up poor and also because she did not have wash and wear hair and her own mother was busy working and could only set her hair on Sunday's.

I still remember her bringing me to the pool and commenting how happy she was that I had good hair.(read wash and go)

On a positive side, she managed to learn how to swim in her sixties.

So there .

• Love 6

Joyce bored me silly.  She may have eventually improved, but meh.

The real reason Joyce wouldn't get in the pool is that ridiculous "for show" bikini she was wearing.  There is no way in hell that thing was ever supposed to touch water.  To me, it showed just how fake she was, always the pageant girl, come to a "pool party" to show off her body, wear a suit that was just for show, like her.

That said, I did like that she was younger, I think the show needs that.  She may have grown into her housewife roll, forced into becoming real at some point.  Honestly, I liked Carleton more, and detested the crappy "witchy" edit Kyle and Bravo forced on her.  Both of them had potential.

• Love 1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Wiccan.  Wicca is a very gentle faith.

The Rule of Three (also Three-fold Law or Law of Return) is a religious tenet held by some Wiccans/Pagans. It states that whatever energy a person puts out into the world, be it positive or negative, will be returned to that person three times. Some subscribe to a variant of this law in which return is not necessarily threefold.

Bravo deliberately, with Kyle's AMPLE help, and Joyce's as well, painted that as some kind of dark thing.  Was Carleton a perfect Wiccan?  No.  Is anyone out there a perfect Christian?  No.  Was that faith mocked and made into something it wasn't on this show?  HELL YES.  It turned my stomach.

When Carleton admitted that at one time she was shown the dark side of magic and eventually rejected that completely and became Wiccan, I was very interested to hear that tale.  Too bad we didn't. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

Meh, Wiccan or not. It made no difference.

So she was on the dark side at one point.lol

The storyline was so weird and then Kyle fought with her.

I thought that she was more like a "new agey" type of person and besides her sex dungeon was kind of vanilla.

Her kids were cute and so was the nanny.

• Love 1

I liked Joyce and wouldn't mind seeing her back here.  I feel that she's very authentic, though, and almost "too real" for reality TV.  Kind of like Kristen T. in New York.  

Umbelina, on 27 Feb 2016 - 2:00 PM, said:

Joyce bored me silly.  She may have eventually improved, but meh.

The real reason Joyce wouldn't get in the pool is that ridiculous "for show" bikini she was wearing.  There is no way in hell that thing was ever supposed to touch water.  To me, it showed just how fake she was, always the pageant girl, come to a "pool party" to show off her body, wear a suit that was just for show, like her.

That said, I did like that she was younger, I think the show needs that.  She may have grown into her housewife roll, forced into becoming real at some point.  Honestly, I liked Carleton more, and detested the crappy "witchy" edit Kyle and Bravo forced on her.  Both of them had potential.

Who can blame her?  If I had that body, I'd walk around in a bikini 24/7! 

• Love 6

Joyce did look great in her bikini, and if it was for show then that's probably why Yo and Brandi were such bitches about insisting that she get in the pool.  ("You are da hostess!  You must get in da pool!")  Lots of adults don't want to get in da pool - STFU bitches (is what I was thinking at the time :)  And then when Joyce kept politely refusing, Brandi said, "You're like a black person" and that's when Joyce showed that she was pissed.

• Love 9

I liked Joyce & her spouse & would love to see them back on the show - but you gotta be kidding if you rate Joyce's bikini bod superior to say, Yolanda's.  Joyce (like Brandi) is a toothpick - can't recall if she (J.) had the obligatory foobs or not.  Now, on to what matters :)

I loved Joyce on the show! She seems like one of the sweetest and smartest housewives. She's got the looks, the lifestyle, wasn't afraid to engage in the drama. She didn't turn into a shrinking violet even when she was outnumbered by the other women. Big mistake to let her go imo.

• Love 9

Joyce was boring but also fun and I liked her. Brandi never looked quite as pathetic as when she was attacking Joyce. Her jealousy that Joyce had everything Brandi felt she deserved was delicious. Joyce's life is great! She's filthy rich and her husband will fund her vanity projects. She's gorgeous and doesn't look overly plastic. And most importantly her husband is crazy about her - which is why Brandi felt the need to trash his looks. Brandi will never have any of these things and it's made her so ugly and bitter inside.

Carlton earned her edit. Her attempt at causing drama by being a straight up bitch to Kyle and pretending to be a lesbian for bony Brandi were so sad, because she was still boring as hell.

• Love 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

What is this?  :^)

Her implants. 

Joyce would take her top off in the opening credits while saying one could never be too thin, but she was too thin, her implants looked vacuum sealed under her skin. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 6

Joyce actually cribbed the Housewives format for a series about wealthy Los Angeles Latina women on a Spanish-language channel. She's an EP and even hosts the aftershow. I say good for her; she's monetizing Andy's ideas after he piled on her with his racist bullshit. I have no idea what the ratings are for the series but it's already in its fourth season since 2014 and seems to run continuously, almost in real time like a telenovela or The Hills at its peak.

• Love 12

I loved Joyce on the show! She seems like one of the sweetest and smartest housewives. She's got the looks, the lifestyle, wasn't afraid to engage in the drama. She didn't turn into a shrinking violet even when she was outnumbered by the other women. Big mistake to let her go imo.

I liked her too. I wish she had stayed.

Since she is apparently friends with LVP, she could always come back as a "Friend of"/ally of hers.

Edited by brinpol
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, lunastartron said:

Joyce actually cribbed the Housewives format for a series about wealthy Los Angeles Latina women on a Spanish-language channel. She's an EP and even hosts the aftershow. I say good for her; she's monetizing Andy's ideas after he piled on her with his racist bullshit. I have no idea what the ratings are for the series but it's already in its fourth season since 2014 and seems to run continuously, almost in real time like a telenovela or The Hills at its peak.

What's the name of the show?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Giselle said:

What's the name of the show?

Rica, Famosa, Latina. It's a little less polished in production values than the Housewives franchise. Physical fights don't necessarily break out more frequently than on Bravo but when they do, participants actually end up bloodied. It's on a network called Estrella that seems to be the Bravo/VH1 to Telemundo and Univision's ABC/CBS. Joyce's aftershows are up online. 

• Love 2

Obviously I’m having an exciting Friday night, as I’m watching Evine and Joyce is hawking hair supplements (and coming here to report on it). Joyce still had gorgeous hair, but her Evine “cohost” is talking about how great the products are, but her hair does NOT look great...

• Love 4
On 2/15/2017 at 5:29 AM, brinpol said:

I liked her too. I wish she had stayed.

Since she is apparently friends with LVP, she could always come back as a "Friend of"/ally of hers.

I wonder if there's any possibility of that now that Lisa is on the outs with most of the current cast. 

• Love 2
On 4/28/2019 at 12:53 AM, RealHousewife said:

I wonder if there's any possibility of that now that Lisa is on the outs with most of the current cast. 

There are a number of issues with Joyce returning. She was a huge fourth wall breaker and that really pissed Andy off. Joyce was almost certainly taking notes on how to produce a show like Rica Famosa when she was on RHoBH. Bravo has since started dipping their toes into programming with Latinx cast and culture with Mexican Dynasties and Texicanas so giving free advertising to a competitor on another network is probably a no go. They've had wives who were on TV shows on other networks, but Bravo/NBC Universal has been very careful to make sure that they aren't undermining one of their shows by featuring a wife who works on a non-NBC Universal show. Joyce's presence in the cast might actually undermine some of their shows.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1