Type keyword(s) to search

I Dream Of Jeannie - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I guess I'll start the ball rolling!

While I've seen a few episodes of I Dream of Jeannie over the years I only really got into the shw recently as UK Gold has begun repeating the entire series from the beginning, twice daily no less. I started watching mostly because I'm a great fan of Larry Hagman from his role on Dallas but I quickly fell in love with the show which is IMO more fun than Bewitched and arguably has aged better.

To begin with what are people's favourite episodes?

I started watching I Dream of Jeannie when it first appeared in syndication in the early 70's. I used to prefer Bewitched but lately watching both I've come to enjoy Jeannie more because it's so silly. I haven't seen this episode in a while but I'll say the one where Tony and Roger start the episode in a flying saucer and they end up in a small town due to some difficulty - they end up being mistaken for Martians by the locals. When Jeannie shows up of course it gets silly.

Where I live it's on THIS in the evening, I keep forgetting to watch so maybe this forum will remind me!

I Dream of Jeannie?  Really?   LOL

I grew up watching I Dream of Jeannie in daily reruns on UHF stations after school.   I don't remember specific episodes, but I do recall thinking that Dr. Bellows made a wonderful straight man (in the comedy sense).

Any show featuring a house- (or bottle-) bound woman who calls a man "master" would never make it today.

Hard to believe that beautiful Barbara Eden is 82 years old now.

• Love 3

Any show featuring a house- (or bottle-) bound woman who calls a man "master" would never make it today.

Haha, I could actually see it making it as an anime series though.

I wish Me TV didn't switch their schedule so much. I was really enjoying Jeanie and then they switched it to Gilligan. And then they switched Gilligan for Happy Days. 

• Love 2

This is one of my all-time favorite shows. I would say my favorite episodes are the ones leading up to their engagement. Havent seen them in awhile but I think it was a three parter - one where Jeannie's uncle shows up and Tony, in a moment of anger at the uncle, says he wouldn't marry Jeannie if she were the last woman in the world - not realizing she is there and can hear him, so she takes off to Baghdad. The next episode he is in the Aleutian islands a punishment for some trouble Jeannie had gotten him into in the previous episode (hence his anger) and he goes AWOL to Baghdad to beg her forgiveness. Maybe it's only a two-parter! Anyway, he ends up proposing. yay!!

I also like the one where they are looking into the future and see their children.

Never much cared for the evil sister episodes, or the ones with famous guest stars.

• Love 2

I always thought Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman had really amazing chemistry together- you could really feel the sparks between them, whether it was romantic or comedic, whatever they were doing. they were just a perfect pairing

• Love 4

I Dream of Jeannie?  Really?   LOL

Well "Bewitched" has it's own forum. ;)

Besides the series is currently airing in the UK.

I always thought Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman had really amazing chemistry together- you could really feel the sparks between them, whether it was romantic or comedic, whatever they were doing. they were just a perfect pairing

Definitely.  I think it is a large part of why I prefer this show to "Bewitched" (though I liked that too).  Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York had some sparks too but their roles didn't leave them as much room to enjoy them.  In contrast Barbara and Larry really managed to work the comedy.

And yes Dr. Bellows was inifinitely more fun than Mrs. Kravitz, though to be fair had a more important role.  Actually come to think of it in narrative terms he might have been more a counterpart of Endora as a foil for our main duo.

• Love 1

I Dream Of Jeannie!!!!!

One of my all time favorite shows.

Yes. I am old enough to have watched the original shows when they began in black and white.

I think some of my favorite were with Roger and Tony being buds. Or when the Blue Gin would come and add some chaos. I always loved the way Tony and Jeannie would make Dr. Bellows think he was crazy.

Gosh. Good times.

I have no clue if it is on in syndication here? I haven't seen an episode in years...

When the show first started, Jeannie was not very nice.  She tried to sabotage Tony at every turn.  As the show went on, they seemed to drop that premise and she was less spiteful.

I don't think she was spiteful, just determined to make Tony fall for her.

In an episode I caught today Jeannie lost her memory after getting a bump on her head. She had her head x-rayed and the only thing the x-ray found was the the diploma hanging on the wall on the other side of the head (Roger: "Well... she must have had a photographic memory and had just seen that diploma...")

Trying to decide whether the joke is just that genies can't appear on normal film or if her head is literally empty. Very hard to make out the x-ray because Dr. Bellows is waving it around, but you definitely a round shape that looks like a skull so I'm going with the second option. it would certainly explain some things, LOL.

• Love 2

Trying to decide whether the joke is just that genies can't appear on normal film or if her head is literally empty.

If I remember the Tony/Jeannie wedding correctly (it's been a decade or two since I've seen it), part of the ceremony involved Jeannie having a mannequin/robot stand-in during the walk down the aisle because she wouldn't show up in photographs. She hid in the back of the church so she could blink herself in for the vows, and almost missed it because she was daydreaming. So I think your first take on the joke is right.

• Love 3

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

• Love 1

They were going to make a movie version about eight or ten years ago....BTW, the series was based on a movie called the Brass Bottle, where Genie was played by Burl Ives. (Eden played the girlfriend).

I believe they made 2 sequel movies of this show.

• Love 1

Trivia: Barbara Eden was pregnant during season one, which is why she is always shown with gauze costume draping over her middle. It's fun to try and catch a glimpse of her stomach.

• Love 1

I've been watching this series on Antenna TV, trying to get all the way through it and the show somehow lost it's charm after the second season I think.  When the show started to go "mod" it just kinda went off the rails.  I'm on the fifth season now, and I have to say some of these episodes are a chore to get through, but i'm all in till the end and then i'll move on to Bewitched.

• Love 1
(edited)

Barbara and Larry had amazing chemistry together.

I was mesmerized as a child watching back than.

I have my own Jeannie bottle 1st season and I love it!

Edited by ejami61
  • Love 3

I know this isn't an active thread anymore... but I just have to say as someone who is old enough to have watched the show when it originally aired-- that the audience always "knew" that Jeannie and Tony were much more than platonic housemates. We "knew" they were having a full blown affair but they pretended to us-- the audience--- and to themselves as characters that nothing was going on. Haha! It was the running joke. That's why the show was so charming and fun. We the audience were in on their "secret"

I remember people speculating that Jeannie went to Tony's room in the middle of the night-- at first in his dreams but of course they weren't "dreams" they were real.  It was one of those unspoken things between them. They both knew what was going on in his bed at night but they "pretended" to themselves and everyone else that nothing was going on.

Think of all those morning scenes as they have breakfast together how relaxed Tony and Jeannie seem -- like they just had a night of great sex! Haha!

I just discovered re-runs of the show on a local channel. Good times.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, lgprimes said:

Ahhh, my first crush

Tony and Jeannie were my first ship-- ever---before there was such a thing. Those two actors had something that was just so fascinating to watch.

• Love 2

I just got the complete series on DVD, and am quite enjoying it. I’m impressed at how much the boundaries are pushed for a 1960’s show :) And how good Jeannie was at shutting down unwanted attention.

Edited by dmmetler
(edited)
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:43 PM, taanja said:

I know this isn't an active thread anymore... but I just have to say as someone who is old enough to have watched the show when it originally aired-- that the audience always "knew" that Jeannie and Tony were much more than platonic housemates. We "knew" they were having a full blown affair but they pretended to us-- the audience--- and to themselves as characters that nothing was going on. Haha! It was the running joke. That's why the show was so charming and fun. We the audience were in on their "secret"

I remember people speculating that Jeannie went to Tony's room in the middle of the night-- at first in his dreams but of course they weren't "dreams" they were real.  It was one of those unspoken things between them. They both knew what was going on in his bed at night but they "pretended" to themselves and everyone else that nothing was going on.

Think of all those morning scenes as they have breakfast together how relaxed Tony and Jeannie seem -- like they just had a night of great sex! Haha!

I didn't get that so much, I think Tony was too much of a gentleman (before he turned into JR)

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, dmmetler said:

I just got the complete series on DVD, and am quite enjoying it. I’m impressed at how much the boundaries are pushed for a 1960’s show :) And how good Jeannie was at shutting down unwanted attention.

Really because it seems SO sexist nowadays. When they recruit that female physicist to be part of the space programme she turns out to be wearing 2 handkerchiefs and a prayer because she 'works part time as a cocktail waitress'?  Every woman is a housewife or a go-go girl bimbo, even Dr Bellows wife who is also a psychiatrist is expected to do all the housework and meet him at the door with a martini?  

Edited by Joe Hellandback
  • Love 1

I always thought the really clever thing about this (aside from Barbara Eden's stunning beauty, see The Man Show's version of IDOJ) was it was 2 comedies in 1, one about a genie, the other about the space programme. It's 60s faddishness is also interesting, all the eps with hippies and 'mod' parties. 

On 12/15/2016 at 10:43 AM, taanja said:

hey, i'm a young watcher, i caught on fast to the romance between larry and barbara. I really hope this forum is still going!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ICMstories said:

hey, i'm a young watcher, i caught on fast to the romance between larry and barbara. I really hope this forum is still going!

I have seen every ep many times-- it still makes me smile. I love Jeannie and Tony -- like seriously. The chemistry between those two was off the charts.

And sure. We can talk nowadays about the sexist qualities--- but as I said-- I was a young girl/preteen when those shows originally aired and for its time-- an unmarried couple living together *gasp!** it was way ahead of it's time. 

People (woman) didn't view the world the way we do now. When this show aired -- women couldn't get their own Credit Cards! (among other things)

23 minutes ago, taanja said:

I have seen every ep many times-- it still makes me smile. I love Jeannie and Tony -- like seriously. The chemistry between those two was off the charts.

And sure. We can talk nowadays about the sexist qualities--- but as I said-- I was a young girl/preteen when those shows originally aired and for its time-- an unmarried couple living together *gasp!** it was way ahead of it's time. 

People (woman) didn't view the world the way we do now. When this show aired -- women couldn't get their own Credit Cards! (among other things)

i first started watching it when i was 11, I'm now almost 16. I love how proactive it was for its time. IDOJ is overall a great show. I own the whole series. I would love to talk about the "friendship" of larry and barbara. we all know it's more than a friendship

Edited by ICMstories
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ICMstories said:

i first started watching it when i was 11, I'm now almost 16. I love how proactive it was for its time. IDOJ is overall a great show. I own the whole series. I would love to talk about the "friendship" of larry and barbara. we all know it's more than a friendship

Do you mean the actors? Larry Hagman and Barbara Eden? or the characters Tony and Jeannie?

I don't know anything about the actors ( I rarely if ever follow actors) but the characters had such a cute chemistry and the way they looked at one another! Sometimes Tony would give Jeanie these looks that said to me-- wait til the lights go out!   oooooh! haha!

I like to imagine that Jeannie would pop into Tony's room at night (in his bed) you know? make him believe he was having wild dreams and then pop out before morning so Tony wasn't sure if it was a dream or real!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, taanja said:

Do you mean the actors? Larry Hagman and Barbara Eden? or the characters Tony and Jeannie?

I don't know anything about the actors ( I rarely if ever follow actors)

I mean both, tony and jeannie and barbara and larry.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:32 AM, ICMstories said:

I mean both, tony and jeannie and barbara and larry.

This got me to re-watching the entire series ... again.  I haven't seen season one (black and white!) in a really long long time. I forgot some of the early shows where Tony and Jeannie look and feel almost like a coupe that are dating/maybe even married? Oh and the fiance! haha! Tony had a fiance-- Melissa something. 

I forgot what pretty eyes Larry Hagman has/had-- especially as a young man. And the way he looks at Jeannie (Barbara!) Wow! Hot!

• Love 1

Whenever I visit my parents, I try to catch the reruns. But they're at 10:30 on Saturdays, so not ideal. I wish they'd have them at a better time, preferrably on weeknights, more often and showed two instead of one episode. Such a fun show.

• Love 2
On 2/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, ICMstories said:

hey, i'm a young watcher, i caught on fast to the romance between larry and barbara. 

Did they have something going on in real life? I know they were both married, so I don't know. But the chemistry between them, as everyone else noticed too, is really, really palpable.

Honestly, it still stands out because you rarely see that kind of chemistry even today. So I would honestly not be surprised if something did happen between them at some point. 

I would even argue that their chemistry kind of made the show. It was always goofy, and considered a lesser version of Bewitched I guess, but I prefer it because they seemed to like each other so much. Their interaction overcomes the old school sexism, unlike in Bewitched, where Darrin is so mean to Samantha and doesn't even seem like he likes her most of the time.

On this show, Tony and Jeannie were so obviously attracted to each other that it gave it a sexy vibe, and that's pretty much the appeal (especially when they were unmarried and essentially "living together"- even the show's producers said they knew that's what the appeal of the show was at the time, the idea that it was basically about an unmarried, co-habitating couple at a time when more people were just starting to do that, but it wasn't allowed to be explicitly shown on TV yet).

• Love 1
On 3/14/2019 at 4:16 AM, ruby24 said:

Did they have something going on in real life? I know they were both married, so I don't know. But the chemistry between them, as everyone else noticed too, is really, really palpable.

Honestly, it still stands out because you rarely see that kind of chemistry even today. So I would honestly not be surprised if something did happen between them at some point. 

but I prefer it because they seemed to like each other so much. Their interaction overcomes the old school sexism, unlike in Bewitched, where Darrin is so mean to Samantha and doesn't even seem like he likes her most of the time.

On this show, Tony and Jeannie were so obviously attracted to each other that it gave it a sexy vibe, and that's pretty much the appeal (especially when they were unmarried and essentially "living together".

there is a lot of evidence proving that it was more than a friendship. In their interviews whenever someone asked them if they ever got together, they got nervous. Also I prefer IDOJ too for the same reasons. There was so much sexual tension on and off camera. I run a IG fan page for the show, I'm much more active there, so feel free to DM me there. 🙂