Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond 90210: Cast members in the media and other roles

• Start Topic

This can be a place to discuss Jason's book, Tori's never-ending string of reality shows, and anything else the cast pops up in. And if the day of a reunion ever comes, we can discuss that too. And what a glorious day that would be!! If we all collectively put our minds to it we can will it into existence, right????

Sara (Sars) did a post on the main site about it (and Tori and Jenni's books also) but since the site is moving servers right now I can't link to it. When the site is back up I encourage you all to check it out! 

I finally found the time to finish Jason's book today! I, too, rather liked it, and he really comes across as a nice guy. Even where he's critical of people, he never forgets to mention their strengths and the good times he had with them. I quite appreciate that; in Tori's books I always got the vibe that she tried to incorporate foreshadowings of people's misgivings even when describing times when she was happy with them. I always dislike that. The way I see it, when you love people, you love them, and even if you fall out later,in most cases it doesn't mean that they were always horrible or never a good fit, it just means you parted ways at some point. Jason's book is really fair in that.

Oh, and I was pretty surprised at how many people the guy knows in Hollywood. He may not have had a big time career beyond Beverly Hills 90210, but he certainly seems like a very affable person.

• Love 1

Thank you, Lisin! I did like the book, but, like the reviewer, could have done with fewer mentions of his friendships with Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt. We get it! But yes, I totally agree with Sara that that might have been a requirement of the publisher.

Did Jason talk about any hook-ups or fights between cast members? 

He mostly mentioned that Shannon Doherty could be quite bitchy and that he confronted her about this in the very beginning of them working together; and he mentions that the three girls (Tori, Jennie, and Shannen) had lots of tension between them and frequent fights (he mentions a fight over a red dress for a promo picture in particular, but also says that this was only one memorable occasion among other, less memorable ones). I also noticed that when he described Tiffani Amber Thiessen joining the show, he said nothing about the early tensions that supposedly existed between her and Jennie before the two became friends; instead, he stresses how the athomsphere changed for the better with TAT on and Shannen off. I wondered a bit if those early tensions I have heard of in the past just weren't that important, or if he left them out on purpose (not to be too conspirational...). He also stresses that it was Shannen's behaviour on set (arriving several hours late for shooting, for instance) that got her fired, not the way she lived it up in her private life.

I saw Tiffani on Hollywood Game Night.  Still hot.

Even hotter is Jason. I've loved the guy since 90210 and still adore him. He shares a birthday with my son. I'd love to read his book.

I guess 90210 is moving to TVGN, starting Labor Day with a Brendylan marathon. Thank goodness this show was hot before the name combo thing was.

• Love 2

Oh God, the name combos! You are so right. Also, as soon as they get just a little more entangled than Brendylan, they start to confuse me. It's probably not a testament to my basic problem solving skills, but it always takes me a while to get them.

I recently saw Sharknado II, while visiting friend in Germany. She has some German Pay-TV channel that showed the movie simultaneously to the US release, which is a rarity. Yay for Sharknado's international echo - or sad testament to its estimated worth :-)? I loved Ian Ziering in it. This guy gets hotter as he gets older (or maybe I think that as I get older). And this movie has a surprising sense of humour. I love it when IZ isn't serious, even when he's just non-seriously pretending to be serious. I never particularly liked his heavy-duty dramatic storylines on the Niner ("DICK IS DEAD!"), but I am a sucker for his smile and over the top magnanimous gestures :-).

Agreed that Jason is hot. I liked his book, so I am dangerously close to buying Jennie's, too, as soon as I find the time to read it.

Edited by Marie Claudine

So I have been revisiting another of my favorite shows, Gilmore Girls, on Netflix and imagine my surprise to see Ann Gillespie (Jackie) show up as Paris' mother. Late season 1, which was around 2001, so it was pretty much right after 90210 ended. I watched GG in its original run but it's been a long time since I've seen some the eps and I either forgot or didn't know she appeared in it.

• Love 2

I was watching Criminal Minds on Netflix last night and Gabriel Cartaris is in an episode about a truck driving serial killer. At one point she's in the car with her daughter and says something like "Honey I remember what it was like to be in high school" and her daughter snarks back "What, like 50 years ago?" and I laughed for five minutes. I have to imagine that was a little shout out to 90210. It was really funny to me. 

• Love 3

I wish I knew the name of the egg lady from U4EA. You know, the store clerk whom Steve wants to exchange the egg. I'd be curious what else she was in. Probably nothing much, but I'd be curious all the same. I loved that extra. On imdb, I found the name of Marilyn Pfitzer as "woman" in that particular episode. Anyone know if that's her? If so, I could continue looking around for her...

Maherjunkie: no, not the Raquel Welch one. I didn't see any other recognizable names in the cast. It was called "Unholy Rollers." Hee. But seriously, his IMDB page is worth a look; so many familiar shows from the 60s and 70s. He was on the Batman tv show 5 times! I bet he told some great stories on the 90210 set. Didn't they do an episode where Steve set up a film festival of old B movies and Nat was in one of them? And that's how he reconnected with his old girlfriend? I can't remember what movie it was supposed to be. A Roger Corman one, maybe? I assumed Joe E Tata was actually in it but I didn't see anything that looked like that on his IMDB listings. Maybe it was an uncredited part.

Marie Claudine, I seem to remember trying to look that up once when we talked about it at the Twop board, and I never found anything. I wonder if she was just somebody they knew and asked to do the part. Oh Egg Lady, you made a lasting impression!

• Love 1

Pop (TV Guide Network's new name) showed "The Story Behind Beverly Hills 90210." Of course I recorded it, even though I knew I had probably heard everything already. The only cast members they interviewed were Carol Potter and Joe E. Tata, but they talked to a lot of the producers, writers, casting people, etc. You know, those names we always see in the credits. There were no huge revelations but it was kind of nice to hear their take on things. They had mostly nice things to say about everyone, even Shannen. They said towards the end she was late all the time and just didn't seem to want to be there, but most of them were still sorry to see her go because they liked writing for her.

One part I had to call b.s. on though...they talked about how Aaron Spelling was adamant about hiring ONLY the most talented and attractive people, and how all the kids had prior experience, and he wouldn't settle for less than the very best, blah blah blah. Umm...how does Tori fit into that category, exactly? Or the kid who played Scott Scanlon? (Who, by the way, was not even mentioned or shown in ANY of the many, many pictures they showed.)

Anyway, it was not an exhaustive history of our show by any means, but it was nice hearing from some of those behind the scenes people.

John Sears was the frat guy who hit on Kelly her freshman year at college. He was slimy, and also messed with Steve and tried to get him kicked out of the KEG house.

I was watching a movie the other night starring Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler, and Mrs. Teasley showed up as a psychiatrist. Hey Mrs. T!

Edited by desertflower
(edited)

Not that he much counts as a "90210 Cast Member", but did anybody else ever notice that Walton Goggins ('Shane' from "The Shield" and 'Boyd Crowder' from "Justified") appeared in that boring Season 2 episode with the girl whose father wanted to tear down the Peach Pit? Walton was the dorky guy named "Mike Muchin" who told Brandon that he came to the wrong party (after Brandon showed up at their "All Blue" party wearing a red jacket).

Anyhow, I saw that episode on DVD recently and noticed that -- for whatever reason -- on the DVD, Walton Goggins simply says "I'm Mike..." (then there's the briefest of pauses before he goes on to whatever else he was saying, but he doesn't finish his name). I know I didn't imagine that he originally said something like "I'm Mike Muchin -- rhymes with cushion" ("Marcie" even refers to him as "Mush", which remained on the DVD). I mean, maybe I did, but that would be a very odd thing to imagine.

So apparently they edited out the rest of that line, which seemed like a very random bit to edit (and made me wonder what other lines -- or even just parts of lines -- might have been edited out of the DVD's; this was the only time that I noticed such a thing).

Edited by kickedinthehead
(edited)

I have to say I was never a fan D'Shawn Hardell, but I always liked cress Williams the actor. Since his role on 90210, he was in a bunch if my fav - Veronica Mars, fnl, and hart of Dixie (which only 4 people watched so it is gone). The amazing part is that he has barely aged compared to the other guys. Probably because he wasn't already 40 when he was playing a 20 year old.

Edited by queenbee9b
  • Love 1

I have to say I was never a fan D'Shawn Hardell, but I always liked cress Williams the actor. Since his role on 90210, he was in a bunch if my fav - Veronica Mars, fnl, and hart of Dixie (which only 4 people watched so it is gone). The amazing part is that he has barely aged compared to the other guys. Probably because he wasn't already 40 when he was playing a 20 year old.

Too funny, I just finished watching Friday Night Lights and he shows up in Season 5 and... well no spoilers but lets just say he isn't always the good guy, and every time he did something kinda shady I'd say "D'Shawn... Brandon will be so disappointed in you" and my husband was ready to kill me. 

• Love 1

He didn't cheat in sports, but he cheated on some tests. Brandon discovered the professor was letting him cheat so he could keep his grades up and still play sports. But B showed him the error of his ways and he became a good guy who flirted with Donna a a little bit. Then he disappeared.

He kind of flaoted around in season 4 even after the storyline, if I recall. I think he also appeared at the beginning of season 5, for an episode or 2 (wasn't he Donna's date to the same gala where Dylan confronted Brandon & Kelly?).

(edited)

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to imply he immediately disappeared after the cheating thing. He did pop in and out for a while. But I think they ran out of things to do with him and then that was it. It might've been nice if he evolved into another regular.

Edited by desertflower

Tiffani Thiessen has a show on the Cooking Channel (Dinner at Tiffani’s).  I rarely watch it, because she makes stuff I already know how to make and the storylines with her guests either bore or annoy me (I like cooking shows where the host just stands there and cooks). 

But last night there was an episode with Willie Garson, and I like him in everything I've seen him in, so I watched for a bit.  Another guest was Lindsay Price (Curtis Stone’s wife), and Tiffani said they met on 90210.  That was after I quit watching, so I had to look her up – she played Janet.  Anyway, I figured I’d give fans a heads up, if you want to see a reunion of sorts.  There is also an episode with Jason Priestly and his wife.

Brian Austin Green was on the season premier of Flipping Out on Bravo. It was just a few seconds and he seemed pretty nice, and looked good except for the douchey trilby. Jeff said BAG is one of the nicest celebrities he's ever met. I hope it's true, although it doesn't square with the blind items about domestic abuse. If it's like previous seasons, we'll see a few minutes of him and maybe Megan on future episodes.