Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Pio ke kukui, pōʻele ka hale (When the Light Goes Out, the House Is Dark)

• Start Topic

Funny thing, I had just been in discussion of Jason Statham's Killer Elite. Trade in the veteran SAS for McGarrett's SEAL Team and you have the basic story 

Edited by Raja

If I'm honest I don't care that Joe died or anything about the episode really.

What I don't get is shouldn't CIA bad girl be in maximum security prison where guards don't single handedly walk a high value prison out of prison for "medical reasons." How are there any prisoners left there it seems like they all could break out with no trouble. 

• Love 5

Disappointing episode on many levels.

As noted on the post above from "notcreativeenough", there is NO credibility to a situation where a security guard could march Greer out of a max security prison by himself. Nope, not even in the realm of believability. A prisoner of that type would be attended to by on-site medical personnel, several guards would go with her IF the medical team actually found anything relevant. And, the transport would be in an ambulance, can you imagine the lawsuits otherwise?

I'm not a professional soldier of fortune, but if I am going on an operation with 10 other guys to take out 1 man on a remote CGI-background ranch, I think I would go in with the idea of waiting until dark and then setting the place on fire. It was a wooden house...would have taken maybe 5 minutes tops to burn down. And, only attack from one front?

You knew when Joe White mentioned the lone tree, it was going to be in the episode. I don't know what the special effects budget is for these shows, but surely something better than "sit in this chair and bob up and down and people will believe you are riding a horse" could be available? Totally unrealistic to the point where it was bothersome. And, the dramatic death...I don't think AOL can play "sorrow". I liked the Joe White character so maybe the writers are simply tying up all loose ends from previous seasons, and this is the last year? At least Joe didn't make Steve promise to track down Catherine. I was waiting for that line. Wonder if this means they will knock off Jimmy Buffett on one of the future episodes?

It also seems odd that 5-0 can track down anyone's finances anywhere in the world in a matter of minutes? I need to get that App.

My favorite line, though: "Chain of evidence is not an exact science".

Edited by GustheCat
forgot something
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, GustheCat said:

My favorite line, though: "Chain of evidence is not an exact science"

You think he should have thought about a couple of Kevlar vests! Certainly would have helped Cole (at least, until the RPG hit the car) and Joe!!

1 hour ago, GustheCat said:

It also seems odd that 5-0 can track down anyone's finances anywhere in the world in a matter of minutes?

How does a German National who's a known hit-man and wanted by half the world get a Social Security Number?  Tani specifically mentioned an SSN!  That was so stupid and I agree that the CGI was awful in this one.  

5 minutes ago, preeya said:

But you can bet the farm that, at some point, she'll be back.

I think she's in the next episode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GustheCat said:

I don't know what the special effects budget is for these shows, but surely something better than "sit in this chair and bob up and down and people will believe you are riding a horse" could be available?

LOL!

Also - the tree, the vista, the landscape.  Picture-postcard pretty.  Way overdoing it on the CGI.  

• Love 1

Hate that if Joe dies as it seems like he did. And really have been giving Steve a hard time at times for being selfish and self absorbed from time to time. But really the guy is a caring guy and really having people either leave him or die, gives him abandoning and trust issues.  

Greer is dangerous and really needs to be stopped big time. As does that of Omar. Grover and company working at Five 0. And really Steve did have some help outside of him and Joe. 

Makes you wonder if Catherine will come back to help Steve and Five 0. Out for in the getting those two I wonder if that is the reason she is coming on back?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

LOL!

Also - the tree, the vista, the landscape.  Picture-postcard pretty.  Way overdoing it on the CGI.  

Steve has probably seen better sunsets in Hawaii.

• Love 4

Oh ok "off the books." 

Now, Adam looking up people in jail for info because of their relationship with his father I can buy. That's what they should be using him for. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, GustheCat said:

I liked the Joe White character so maybe the writers are simply tying up all loose ends from previous seasons, and this is the last year?

I do actually like the actor. They can bring him in whenever they need a Steve History episode, so I'm surprised he's gone. Weird death scene too. Like Steve said, 'we don't give up.' It seemed just OOC all over the place. I would have bought maybe he got killed saving Steve or something. 

6 hours ago, GustheCat said:

It also seems odd that 5-0 can track down anyone's finances anywhere in the world in a matter of minutes? I need to get that App.

As ludicrous as show is, this doesn't actually bother me. It's like the sonic screwdriver. I don't need a locked door to be a bar to the plot. 

4 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Greer is dangerous and really needs to be stopped big time. As does that of Omar.

If she's meant to be the new recurring villain, please find someone to write decent lines for her. I'm surprised they didn't just tape a mustache on her to twirl. Nothing against the actor, but she didn't have much to work with. 

I actually do like this Omar as a villain. He just wants revenge. So it should be difficult for TPTBs to screw that up. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:07 AM, Mittengirl said:

All I want to know is - is Eddie O.K.?

Thank goodness he was not there to warn or help Steve.  He was out running errands or possibly visiting his previous owner's grave.  Perhaps, Noelani and her new man took him to some dog event.  I noticed that Junior had to patch Steve up instead of Noelani who they always seem to call for these types of things.  It's like watching a movie or television show where the bad guy can't go to the hospital and he goes to the shady back alley doctor.

23 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

What I don't get is shouldn't CIA bad girl be in maximum security prison where guards don't single handedly walk a high value prison out of prison for "medical reasons." How are there any prisoners left there it seems like they all could break out with no trouble. 

Out of the most implausible things that is the one that annoyed me the most.  She is a former government agent that has committed treason and they have her in something that resembles a minimum security prison.  They could have done better than that.

22 hours ago, GustheCat said:

You knew when Joe White mentioned the lone tree, it was going to be in the episode. I don't know what the special effects budget is for these shows, but surely something better than "sit in this chair and bob up and down and people will believe you are riding a horse" could be available? Totally unrealistic to the point where it was bothersome. And, the dramatic death...I don't think AOL can play "sorrow". I liked the Joe White character so maybe the writers are simply tying up all loose ends from previous seasons, and this is the last year? At least Joe didn't make Steve promise to track down Catherine. I was waiting for that line. Wonder if this means they will knock off Jimmy Buffet on one of the future episodes?

Yes, you did.   I was surprised that they told Greer he was alive and he actually did die.  I'm going with, he found out he had a terminal illness and didn't want to go out like that.  He wanted to die in a hail of bullets. 

When I was a child I had a spring rocking horse.  I seriously thought that's what they were sitting on.  Sadly in the behind the scenes they did actually film some horse scenes on an actual ranch.  I really wish they would have  shown the stunt men riding them. 

Someone suggested that in Joe's final minutes that's the way he was seeing the sky and sunset.  I'm just going to go with that.

It does seem like they are tying up loose ends.  

No, he didn't make him promise, but guess who's in the next episode.  If only they would tie up all loose ends and Steve's past life.  Hold your horses (pun intended)!  I saw an Instagram post with a person that will be guesting on the next episode as a female pilot.  She tagged Jimmy Buffett in her post and they did say this next episode was going to be like an "Expendables" type of episode.  I really hope I am wrong.  Will I have to see Frank Bama fly a chopper barefoot?

22 hours ago, illdoc said:

You think he should have thought about a couple of Kevlar vests! Certainly would have helped Cole (at least, until the RPG hit the car) and Joe!!

I was impressed by their arsenal of weapons, but wondered why they didn't have at least 2 located with all the weapons.  It's obvious that if you have to use weapons it might be practical to have Kevlar vests.

17 hours ago, preeya said:

Or at least more realistic ones!

16 hours ago, ganesh said:

Now, Adam looking up people in jail for info because of their relationship with his father I can buy. That's what they should be using him for. 

I totally agree and thought that's what they would do.  Only in 5-0 without any kind of police or military training can you be completely competent and tactical on your first time out with them.

Edited by Just my 2 cents
(edited)
4 hours ago, Just my 2 cents said:

Thank goodness he was not there to warn or help Steve.  He was out running errands or possibly visiting his previous owner's grave.  Perhaps, Noehlani and her new man took him to some dog event.  I noticed that Junior had to patch Steve up instead of Noehlani who they always seem to call for these types of things.  It's like watching a movie or television show where the bad guy can't go to the hospital and he goes to the shady back alley doctor.

Considering Steve’s injuries were inflicted by a hitman who was trying to (or helping try to) wipe out Steve’s whole SEAL team because they were involved in a certain mission, perhaps Steve felt it was a better idea to have Junior—a fellow former SEAL—patch him up if he wasn’t hurt enough for an ER or Urgent Care facility, instead of Noelani (by the way, there’s no H in her name), perhaps in order to keep Noelani from being endangered because Steve was being targeted by the hitman. Although I think Noelani did analyze some DNA, or something, for them later in the ep. And also as far as not putting Noelani, or anyone else, in danger over the attempted hit on Steve, you know even if he told them not to get involved, it was too dangerous for them to help, the team was gonna help him anyway—particularly Junior because of his own SEAL skills/training. If Steve had let someone call Danny, like Steve said Danny would’ve also been on the first plane back to Hawaii, from wherever on the Mainland he & Gracie were supposedly looking at colleges, so he could’ve helped too.

No, he didn't make him promise, but guess who's in the next episode.  If only they would tie up all loose ends and Steve's past life.  Hold your horses (pun intended)!  I saw an Instagram post with a person that will be guesting on the next episode as a female pilot.

She tagged Warren Buffet in her post and they did say this next episode was going to be like an "Expendables" type of episode.  I really hope I am wrong.  Will I have to see Frank Bama fly a chopper barefoot?

Don’t you mean Jimmy Buffett (Buffett is with 2 T’s, by the way)? Warren Buffett is an economics expert—I think—& maybe a wealthy man as well. I know he’s famous, but I can’t describe why very well.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments and fix quotes and responses.
10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Don’t you mean Jimmy Buffett (Buffett is with 2 T’s, by the way)? Warren Buffett is an economics expert—I think—& maybe a wealthy man as well. I know he’s famous, but I can’t describe why very well.

You are correct.  Let me fix that in my post.  Warren Buffett is the smart guy that we should be listening to regarding finances.  I wish I had his business sense.

• Love 1

All I could think of during that discussion was Steve lives on the beach in Hawaii. He grew up in that house on the beach in Hawaii. Of course he's seen better sunsets.

Did they not like Cole? They kept sending him outside to get shot. "I'm surprised that they haven't attacked yet. Cole, why don't you go out in the yard and set up some bombs we should have set up before the time we thought they would attack." "They should be here any minute. Cole, go outside and sit behind the burnt out truck so they can shoot you from multiple directions." Usually Steve can hit anyone anywhere, but he had trouble getting those guys trying to hit Cole. Just sayin'

I wonder if Steve's attacker used the self-checkout at the pharmacy to try to avoid drawing attention to himself? A guy comes up to your till with a ripped shirt, blood everywhere and barely able to stand. "Did you find everything you were looking for today, sir? Have a nice day."

• Love 3
On December 8, 2018 at 9:17 PM, Just my 2 cents said:

I'm going with, he found out he had a terminal illness and didn't want to go out like that.  He wanted to die in a hail of bullets

Honestly, when he stopped the horse and showed Steve his wound, I totally expecting him to say, "I have X cancer. It's inoperable. This is OK, Steve. This is how I want to go, not lying in a bed." The way it was, though, I did feel like he gave up. All that hard riding could not have helped those wounds, and he chose to do that rather than wait for the Med Evac.

On December 8, 2018 at 9:17 PM, Just my 2 cents said:

Someone suggested that in Joe's final minutes that's the way he was seeing the sky and sunset.  I'm just going to go with that.

I also thought that! I thought when he said, "look at that - have you ever seen a sunset like that?" - that we'd see the scene from Steve's perspective and it would just be a cloudy day. I do like that explanation better!

• Love 3

I appreciate the effort of trying to make Hawaii look like Montana, but Joe's "Montana" cabin was very Hawaiian in architectural style, no matter the cowboy motif overlay of stage setting.   The very Hawaiian looking Norfolk pines in the yard also didn't help.  Norfolks grow in other places, but certainly not in Montana.  They need zone 9 or warmer, and Montana ranges from zone 2 to zone 6--not nearly warm enough for these distinctive looking trees.  But I appreciate that they try to keep the production and the money in Hawaii. 

I also hark back to the script doctor hypothesis that @MissLucas posited in the previous episode thread.  Joe White was a big loose end with too much ambiguity to leave hanging out there.  Is he really on Steve's side?  Is he playing for the highest bidder?  Is he only in it for Doris?  Terry O'Quinn usually plays him with such a sly slipperiness that you never know for sure.  I wonder if he did that on purpose because he didn't know which way the writers were going to take the character, and he wanted to play him so the directional changes were plausible?  Joe White did seem to whipsaw around...  So was this episode the big Joe White cleanup by the hypothetical script doctor, removing all that ambiguity while maintaining maximum McGarrett angst?

Maybe by the end of the season we'll have Catherine and Rachel together in a committed lesbian relationship, freeing Steve and Danny to be together forever.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Terry O'Quinn usually plays him with such a sly slipperiness that you never know for sure

There was an odd scene early in the episode when Steve gave a side eye to Joe, as if he wasn't telling the truth....and then, idk, there wasn't really follow through? I still don't understand that.

Did you watch Lost? I always feel like my reaction to Terry O'Quinn and Joe is from years of watching him prevaricate as Locke.

I didn't mind the CGI. I know it's all filmed in Hawaii so it's always interesting to see how they get around that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only time in recent memory that I suspected they filmed elsewhere was that episode where the crazy psychologist had the CIA analyst's kidnapped daughter in some cabin in Wisconsin, I think? The bare snowy trees in that episode were just too real to be CGI (maybe it was really well done?)

I found Joe's death sad, especially McGarrett's anger and denial. I don't watch this show for Alex O'Loughlin's acting skills but he sold the pain in this one.

33 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

There was an odd scene early in the episode when Steve gave a side eye to Joe, as if he wasn't telling the truth....and then, idk, there wasn't really follow through? I still don't understand that.

I noticed that too, to the point where I was starting to wonder what part Joe had in setting this whole thing up. His dismay at the other SEAL showing up, his asking McGarrett what was taking so long (while McGarrett was snooping through his personal shit)... it started to feel like Joe wasn't one of the good guys for a minute there.

Then again maybe he wasn't a good guy. They can take the time to go all the way from Hawaii to Butte Fuque, Montana but they don't think of maybe hiding themselves in the middle of a much more heavily garrisoned military base? It took 24 hours of investigation from Hawaii to figure out who was behind the attack. That's all they had to do, lay low for one day.

• Love 3
On 12/8/2018 at 3:27 PM, Magnumfangirl said:

How does a German National who's a known hit-man and wanted by half the world get a Social Security Number?  Tani specifically mentioned an SSN!   

And then after that apparently they can use google to find the client list of a Danish lawyer?

On 12/8/2018 at 9:17 PM, Just my 2 cents said:

I was impressed by their arsenal of weapons, but wondered why they didn't have at least 2 located with all the weapons.  It's obvious that if you have to use weapons it might be practical to have Kevlar vests.

My understang is that kevlar bullet proof vests aren't really that effective at stopping machine gun rifle bullets.

Throughout the whole gunfight I just kept wondering what happens after it is done. Does Steve just leave. Or does he call the local PD and have to explain all the dead bodies and his dead friend's huge supply of weapons. Because if he does that I am picturing weeks before the crime scene is sorted out and he can go home.