Type keyword(s) to search

The Act - General Discussion

Meredith Quill

For further discussion of all things Gypsy/Dee Dee related, particularly information that was not featured in the episodes, please continue your conversations here  https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/93312-gypsy-rose-blanchard/

• Start Topic

One thing keeps bugging me about all this.  She had access to the internet and was or became savvy enough to use it.  She could have texted the neighbor girl and told her she could and will walk out of the house if she would help her.  She could have told her so much.  She knew other people didn't live this way.  She could have even said her mother threatened her that she, Gypsy, would go to jail as well if she told.  The only thing I can think is that she thought only a man could help her and give her the fairy tale life she wanted.  Hell, I don't know.  I'm still torn about all of this.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I've watched all the documentaries and just finished the series, and I still feel that Gypsy is just like her mom.  She's a product of her environment clearly and has learned how to be manipulative and dishonest.  During one of the documentaries she said that she was finally being honest and telling the truth to them, something which she hadn't even done with her lawyers.  So then how would we know she's telling the truth THIS time.  She is clearly a bright girl, but she seriously needs to be in a mental facility, not jail, although it does sound like she's making the most out of jail, getting her GED, etc.  Sometimes watching this, I wondered what was true and wasn't, because a lot of what we know came from Gypsy herself and she's a proven liar.

I personally would not want to be friends with her, etc., because I could never trust her.  I hope she's good to her dad and stepmother when she does get out.  Because they are fighting for her.  I'm sure the guilt he has is terrible, so I hope she doesn't take advantage of it.

I know that I might be coming across as cold to Gypsy and what she went through, but she is/was smart, she lied about having anything to do with her mother's death, even pretended like she didn't know, so she KNEW it was wrong.  Whereas Nick truly didn't get it.  Victim of Dee Dee or not, I have little sympathy for her. 

In one of the videos above, Joey King said that she believes that Gypsy truly thought what she was doing was the best thing for everyone by killing her mother.  This case is just a clusterfuck and so messed up.  I pray Gypsy isn't manipulative and dangerous when she gets out, but a part of me thinks danger will follow her.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, KLJ said:

Sometimes watching this, I wondered what was true and wasn't, because a lot of what we know came from Gypsy herself and she's a proven liar.

I thought Gypsy and her family had nothing to do with this series and are planning their own treatment. I know a family spokesperson said the series was very far from the truth and they took liberties where it didn't even makes sense to do so.

Most of all I don't feel like they portrayed Dee Dee as the nasty piece of work she was (not that I think she deserved to be murdered!). Patricia played her as cooing and low key. From what we saw of Dee Dee in the documentary, she was always smiling and the few times we heard her talk she sounded childish, almost like Gypsy. She did many bad things even before she started abusing Gypsy that they didn't go into at all. And they portrayed Gypsy as just being kinda bummed about not being able to have a boyfriend, rather than showing the abuse she went through from toddler age. They didn't go into all the drugs she was given and surgeries she went through that she didn't need and how the side effects made her seem sickly so Dee Dee could continue to get her more drugs and surgeries. 

I agree that Gypsy is an experienced liar, and besides her the only person who knows the truth is dead, so I'm not sure if a truly good series regarding this story is even possible.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I thought Gypsy and her family had nothing to do with this series and are planning their own treatment. I know a family spokesperson said the series was very far from the truth and they took liberties where it didn't even makes sense to do so.

I believe that they took some of the stories from the article that was written about her that Gypsy was interviewed for.  But she didn't participate in this miniseries, however, and yes, her stepmother is making her own.  I mainly based my impression of Gypsy on the documentaries and interviews I've watched of her and very little on this show.  I started to re-watch the HBO documentary and noticed this time that when she was 'crying', she had zero tears.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

It's difficult because Gypsy is an unreliable narrator, so we don't know what truly went behind those doors.  Gypsy had to have been either far more involved (in on the con) than she let on or far more physically abused than she would admit.  Just the fact that she was able to walk (and had the strength too which means she was probably walking much of the time around the house).  At some point she went from being just a victim to part of the con.

I do think she was abused and manipulated, however, she also had her mother stabbed to death which is a super violent death and then had crazy sex in the house which doesn't scream fear, it screams revenge.  I think she used the skills her mother taught her to punish her mother for everything she'd done to her, had gleeful sex and then thought that she'd start her fairytale life.

Obviously Gypsy and her family was not happy with her portrayal in this mini-series because it didn't portray her to be the victim who had no other choice than to have her mother killed.  They did add things that didn't happen which makes the story even more unclear than it was to begin with being that the only side of the story we know is Gypsy's.

I hope her years in prison will be a step to her living in the real world.  I'm sure prison was a huge shock and probably a lot more freedom than she had before.  It'll be interesting to see if she's able to stay out of prison when she's out or if she becomes an addict.  She's apparently engaged. . . . . . . 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, kelslamu said:

One thing keeps bugging me about all this.  She had access to the internet and was or became savvy enough to use it.  She could have texted the neighbor girl and told her she could and will walk out of the house if she would help her.  She could have told her so much.  She knew other people didn't live this way.  She could have even said her mother threatened her that she, Gypsy, would go to jail as well if she told.  The only thing I can think is that she thought only a man could help her and give her the fairy tale life she wanted.  Hell, I don't know.  I'm still torn about all of this.

Fairly tale life?  I burst out laughing when after the murder and the slam, bam, thank you ma'am, totally awful, unsatisfying looking sex, Nick is all pleased, looks at her and says "welcome to the rest of your life!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 5/2/2019 at 7:05 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Gypsy said in a jail interview that in retrospect, she wished she had called her dad. He could and would have helped her her out of the trapped situation with her mother. For whatever reason, she chose murder instead.

I am a bit skeptical that her father would have took her away from DeeDee, doesn't seem like he tried very hard to see Gypsy when she was growing up. He had remarried and had a new family. I remember in the HBO documentary that her father seemed a little afraid of Gypsy.

• Love 6
On 5/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, Stiggs said:

I think finding out that she was legally an adult, she was scared of getting in trouble for the schemes, so she had her boyfriend kill her mother so nobody would find out and she could live happily ever after in one of her wigs.

Sad but funny because it's true, she never thought further about life than being romanced and looking cute in her wigs.

• Love 4

I have so many seemingly conflicting feelings about Gypsy, man. I'll try my best to articulate, but, oy...

OK, I do think she deserved her prison sentence (and maybe that shit was actually good for her, considering--but hope that she has decent therapy in there) but I also think, regardless of the fact that she could have called someone or walked out (or maybe even given her mom a serious ultimatum--or tried?), or done something else logical, I just don't think that she was mentally equipped for it. Even though she was calculated and organized enough to plan ahead for after the murder, I don't think that she could apply that logic/ability to anything less dramatic and extreme; she was raised (brainwashed) on rescued cartoon princesses and theatrical overthrows of witches. She may have learned--or, I'll say absorbed; that seems more appropriate--from her mom how to deviously circumvent the system, but she certainly did not seem to learn normal, everyday critical problem-solving; she wasn't allowed. Combine that with a body and brain with default settings of "little girl"; even when she did something that was "normal" for someone her age, she felt covert and rebellious (makes me think of Stephen King's Carrie a little!). She knew she was technically old enough to do what she wanted, but she didn't really know how/where to start in a realistic fashion. She had so little, if any, exposure to honesty or even reality in her life.

So, yeah, I do think she knew perfectly well that murder=wrong, I also think that she didn't have all the real-world information she needed to make a better decision. Maybe she thought she did but really what she had was fairy-tale princess plots. 

• Love 17

I've read that now Gypsy is engaged to a man she met via mail.  He saw the documentary, got in touch with her and they fell in love.  Ok.  Here's a man, who despite there being hundreds of thousands of women in the world, sees her on TV and thinks "she must be the one".  Ignoring hundreds of thousands of women who walke free, function in society, are available for in person activities, and who didn't facilitate the murder of their mother!  I don't see this ending well at all!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

There are some great articles on the In Touch Weekly website detailing the truth vs. fiction in every episode. The family spokesperson, and sometimes Gypsy’s stepmom, plus the neighbor, go through many of the big points the show hits. They are very impressed with the acting, and often understanding of the fictional details added. It’s interesting reading their perspective. They do not come off as bitter as they did early on. 

On another note, I watched some of the extra behind the scenes stuff, and the writer/executive producer/reporter has one of the worst cases of uptalk and vocal fry I’ve ever heard. I remember thinking that with her interviews in HBO documentary and it’s gotten even worse. 

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Dakisela said:

Fairly tale life?  I burst out laughing when after the murder and the slam, bam, thank you ma'am, totally awful, unsatisfying looking sex, Nick is all pleased, looks at her and says "welcome to the rest of your life!"

I cracked up, too! The writers had to have thrown that in as a joke; there's no way that was to be taken as anything else. The sheer lunacy!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

I've read that now Gypsy is engaged to a man she met via mail.  He saw the documentary, got in touch with her and they fell in love.  Ok.  Here's a man, who despite there being hundreds of thousands of women in the world, sees her on TV and thinks "she must be the one".  Ignoring hundreds of thousands of women who walke free, function in society, are available for in person activities, and who didn't facilitate the murder of their mother!  I don't see this ending well at all!

It reminds me of all the women who wrote to Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, etc in prison. There must be something sexually fascinating about infamous murderers to some people?

After all of the abuse that Gypsy suffered for pretty much her entire life, and after hearing Dee Dee's own parents(I think?) say that they flushed their daughter's ashes down the toilet, this is basically my reaction to Gypsy murdering her mother:  (I do feel sorry for Nick though, I will admit). 

59410582_1274109749417757_336162417333501952_n (1).jpg

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Zima said:

It reminds me of all the women who wrote to Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, etc in prison. There must be something sexually fascinating about infamous murderers to some people?

I know male murderers get a bizarre amount of correspondence from women dying to meet them (no pun intended!,) but I never hear of men dying to meet famous female murderers. But maybe it's a thing. Who knows? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

I know male murderers get a bizarre amount of correspondence from women dying to meet them (no pun intended!,) but I never hear of men dying to meet famous female murderers. But maybe it's a thing. Who knows? 

I don’t think it’s nearly as common of a thing but in this case I’m sure she attracted lonely men who want to save her or take care of her. She probably still comes across as a little kid. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Zima said:

After all of the abuse that Gypsy suffered for pretty much her entire life, and after hearing Dee Dee's own parents(I think?) say that they flushed their daughter's ashes down the toilet,

That would be her dad and stepmother. The stepmother that Dee Dee poisoned with Round Up, not the biological mother Dee Dee starved and left in her own waste.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

There are comparatively so many fewer famed female murderers that we just probably don't hear of it if men are "courting" them. And I think a good percentage (don't quote me now!) of those women murder significant others, so maybe that scares the would-be husbands away?

• Love 4

I'll tell you the truth-- one thing that I didn't like about that finale is that Gypsy's guilty plea to murder two and Nick's trial/conviction for murder one were footnoted and not seen. Why would Hulu footnote those aspects?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Nick's trial/conviction for murder one were footnoted and not seen.

Since "The Act" was Gypsy's story, I understand why they didn't delve into his trial since it came after hers. But yes, there's a story there too! I'd like to either get a full documentary or even a podcast regarding Nick's trial. What were the arguments/instructions to the jury that got him life in prison? 

The fact that these two met is the incredible part of this story to me. I mean, I believe if Gypsy had met literally anyone else on that website and asked them to kill her mom they'd have said "God no!" Yet, she just happens to meet the one guy who said "Sure!" Easily manipulated, gullible, in love - but! certainly knew murder was wrong. Yeah, I want that story too.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Since "The Act" was Gypsy's story, I understand why they didn't delve into his trial since it came after hers. But yes, there's a story there too! I'd like to either get a full documentary or even a podcast regarding Nick's trial. What were the arguments/instructions to the jury that got him life in prison? 

The fact that these two met is the incredible part of this story to me. I mean, I believe if Gypsy had met literally anyone else on that website and asked them to kill her mom they'd have said "God no!" Yet, she just happens to meet the one guy who said "Sure!" Easily manipulated, gullible, in love - but! certainly knew murder was wrong. Yeah, I want that story too.

This is the story I want to hear too and I would prefer to hear it in a documentary, rather than the ACT. As much as I liked this show I want to know from the actual people involved how Nick ended up with life without parole. What made them decide this was the way to go? Did they make offers that Nick and his attorney rejected? Did anyone try to see if Nick was even mentally capable to make these kinds of decisions? If he is autistic, it could be difficult for him to process cause and effect. Autism is different in everyone so it could be a legal quagmire to have him fit into some kind of mold. I’ve seen several documentaries on this case but none that really address Nick in any significant detail. I almost never come down on the side of mitigation for murder but this one really bugs me. It could be that Nick is far more competent and less mentally impaired than it appears. If that’s the case, I’d like to know that too. It just feels like he was swept under the rug because Gypsy’s situation is so compelling. 

• Love 6

There's a catch-all topic for Gypsy in the True Crime: Beyond the Show forum for discussion of all all things related to Gypsy, Nick, Gypsy's hot dad, and dead Dee Dee. 

8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

There's a catch-all topic for Gypsy in the True Crime: Beyond the Show forum for discussion of all all things related to Gypsy, Nick, Gypsy's hot dad, and dead Dee Dee. 

I just love that everyone refers to him as "hot dad". Cracks me up every time! 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Finally got around to watching the last episode last night. Wow. I wish they would have gone more in depth with the abuse leading up to the murder. How many prescriptions did Gypsy have? What was all that stuff Dee Dee made to give her in her feeding tube?  Just more details. As an abused child, I get why she thought that killing Dee Dee was the only way out. But in the end, I chose to leave instead of murder. I did enjoy the series though. With regard to Nick, on the one hand, since he was the one who actually murdered Dee Dee, I understand why he got the sentence he did.. However, considering his issues, I think his sentence is too harsh.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Sometimes in death penalty states the only option besides death is LWOP (life without parole). Gypsy's potential  punishments were modified because of the mitigating circumstances; Nick may have always faced the DP or LWOP. I'm not sure because there's nothing out there on his trial. Another factor in these kind of cases is the prosecution often asks if the defendant is a future danger, if Nick could be manipulated into murder again, or if his belief in the existence of the Victor personality combined with the autism makes him susceptible to suggestion. Tbh it's hard to answer "no", even though I think his punishment is too harsh.

Source: I've watched too many episodes of MSNBC Lockup.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

I don't feel bad for Nick at all. He chose to stab Dee Dee multiple times as she screamed for her life. He is a danger and deserved a harsh sentence. Gypsy said Nick's plan was to rape and murder Dee Dee to do it "his way", but Gypsy told him that he could rape her instead. He's scum. 

• Love 1

Apparently, even after all that hard work she put in on The Act, Joey King almost entered the pantheon of greats like Raymond Burr, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Lucille Ball, Robert Young, et al.-- I feel so awful for her!

Edited by bmasters9

Golden Globe nominations!

Joey King: Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Patricia Arquette: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nominations!

Joey King: Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Patricia Arquette: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Both deserve every one!

On 12/10/2019 at 8:02 PM, Valny said:

I would LOVE for Joey King to win, the competition is so tough though. But at least she got a nom. Same with Patricia.

Which is why the noms are a fine consolation prize, IMO, should she not win (albeit, like you, I hope she does).

On 12/12/2019 at 5:10 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Screen Actors Guild Award nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries - Patricia Arquette

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries - Joey King

Again,I would LOVE for Joey King to steal a trophy, in a year when the competition wasn't so tough I think she could but as long as Michelle Williams name is there, don't think she will unfortunately.  😞

Joey is also nominated for a G olden Globe. They tend to give newer, younger actores the award so she has a shot but damn, this list is way tough to crack I think ,especially with Kaitlyn Dever on there for Unbelievable. If anyone could take it away from Michelle Williams if would be her. but I think Joey is just as deserving.
Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television 10pts
Helen Mirren, Catherine the Great
Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon
Merritt Weaver, Unbelievable
Kaitlyn Dever, Unbelievable
Joey King, The Act

• Love 1
On 12/17/2019 at 5:07 AM, Valny said:

Again,I would LOVE for Joey King to steal a trophy, in a year when the competition wasn't so tough I think she could but as long as Michelle Williams name is there, don't think she will unfortunately.  😞

Joey is also nominated for a G olden Globe. They tend to give newer, younger actores the award so she has a shot but damn, this list is way tough to crack I think ,especially with Kaitlyn Dever on there for Unbelievable. If anyone could take it away from Michelle Williams if would be her. but I think Joey is just as deserving.

Both of those are exactly why I am glad that Joey King is at least nominated for those awards, as well as for the Critics Choice-- like I said before, I had originally thought that "snubbed" meant you failed to win the award from a nomination (someone else winning it who was also nominated, as Michelle Williams did at the last Emmys [at least Patricia Arquette did take the Best Female Supporter Limited for The Act]), but now I know that it means that you don't even get a nomination/chance to win; many others have similar shows that are at least as good and deserving, but with so many shows out there, they (and the actors/actresses involved) often inevitably end up being snubbed, simply because too many things are out there, and you can only make so many choices.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe Award!

Best performance by an actress in a supporting role in a series, limited series or motion picture made for television

Patricia Arquette, "The Act" — WINNER

Was glad to hear about that one-- sure would have loved to hear that Joey took a Globe for herself!

(edited)

Phew, I just read “If you tell” (in one day!, thx covid19), so that may influence my thoughts here, but I have no problem with them murdering Deedee. Does everybody remember the shit she did to this child? Don’t rest in peace deedee.

Love Chloe S!! Nobody can stink eye like her!!

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 4

Didn't know about this and binged the whole series. Just WOW.

After all that, I think that both Gypsy and Nick should have gotten 20 years each. 

She got off light and he got the brunt of it.  They were both at fault but he did it because she was in a no win situation and she did it because she felt she had no other options.

If Nick was really as impaired as portrayed in this show, he has grounds for appeal. Not that I'm dying for him to be walking the streets, but he didn't seem truly able to differentiate right from wrong. 
Callum Worthy did a great job as Nick! The whole cast was packed with talent.