Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Lesser Of Two Evils

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Dr. Manning and Dr. Halstead become skeptical of a patient's injuries when the victim of a car accident is brought into the hospital. Ethan and April have a difficult time understanding Emily's attachment to her boyfriend despite recent developments. Will and Natalie brace for their joint bachelor/bachelorette party.

Manning and Halstead fooled me as well as the husband, even though I had thought that death scene was off in some way.  This was one of the few times I've ever been behind one of their patient interferences, so I cheered them on even though I'm sure they violated all kinds of ethics and oaths and hospital procedure.

I liked Connor mentoring that med student whose name I don't know.  I don't understand why doctors in teaching hospitals are often so reluctant to teach on these shows.  Is that how it is in the real world?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Las Vegas doesn’t seem to be a very great place for recovering addicts to go live. Just saying...

The show should do some follow up, like he got a great job offer or something.  Otherwise, it does seem strange that they'd choose Las Vegas. 

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

The show should do some follow up, like he got a great job offer or something.  Otherwise, it does seem strange that they'd choose Las Vegas. 

Oh yes, then he'll be a recovering (?) alcoholic and a compulsive gambler along with being an unfaithful husband/father (cheater).

• Love 4

I'm going to need the show to stop having Bekker lay in wait for Rhodes so that they can share a not-cute-at-all moment. These two are still dry as a desert together and I don't understand why the show won't admit defeat there. That said, I did like Rhodes helping out the intern (resident?). Those were good scenes.

Something totally seemed off with Will and Natalie with the abused wife when she coded so it was cool to see it was a ruse to basically get the douchebag husband to leave so they could get her away from him.

• Love 16

I had a feeling that the girl wasn't dead.  although seriously injured, her condition didn't strike me as life threatening.  But good for them that they saved her, albeit pretty far fetched. 

You know Will is bringing that guy with the heart issue into the hospital.  That will be next week's drama!

• Love 4

So I am actually really steamed with the show this week.  If the guy with the heart issue dies, it will be Will on the chopping block, not Jay or the cops.  The cops have no legal duty to look after the bad guy's health.  Will does.  If Will were found to have knowingly ignored the medical issues, even at the cop's instruction, it's his license, malpractice insurance, and possible manslaughter charges.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

The cops can argue that they may have told him not to interfere, but he was the one with medical knowledge, and therefore, it was his responsibility to override them in the best interest of the patient.  Plus, they have qualified immunity as agents of the law.  They can't be sued on an individual basis.  Will can be sued and lose.  Will's already got one adverse malpractice issue on his record.  Something like this goes sideways, he could end up never being able to practice medicine again, plus since he treated the guy outside the hospital at his home, his malpractice insurer could claim he violated the terms of his policy, and Will could end up paying for the suit, and declaring bankruptcy.                                                                                                                                 

It could be an incredible story, but I doubt the authors could do it justice.  So it annoys me.  

• Love 6

Just a few things:

1. I loved the way Manning and Halstead faked out the abusive piece of shit. Loved it, even if they probably broke 10,000 rules and protocols to do it.

2. FUCK that little ER prick that was with Rhodes and the trainee. He and the new CEO can get the fuck out of the hospital any day now.

3. I'm not sure I trust what's going on with Emily's boyfriend. I love Emily's character but... I do not trust trust the boyfriend.

4. I want them to mention this case with the mob guy on PD. The fact that a case this big is confined to the hospital show is just odd to me.

5. That couple with the kidnapped kid... I'm conflicted on them. Obviously what they did was horrible and wrong but... they did want what was best for the little girl at the end of the day. That poor girl though. This must all be so confusing.

6. I want Natalie's dress from the end of the episode. It was gorgeous!

Edited by mysticalflute
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, mysticalflute said:

2. FUCK that little ER prick that was with Rhodes and the trainee. He and the new CEO can get the fuck out of the hospital any day now.

I agree..IMHO, the CEO bitch reminds me too much of Chi McBride's Vogler character (in fact, I'd take it a step further & say she's about as bad as Tritter was also) from House M.D...Except this bimbo didn't even have the courtesy to show up with a hundred million dollar donation in hand like Vogler did..And as far as I'm concerned she can go the same way he did

Edited by NWFan2014
add another thought
  • Love 5

It is obvious that they have set up the Irish mob guy to be analogous to Whitey Bulger who was just murdered in prison at the age of around 86.

Still and all Halstead has to go treat him and bring him into the hospital. The cops can't touch him if it is medically necessary. If they try he can just go to the papers and expose the fact that they would let Burke die instead of treating him. How is it that he will always risk his job and his medical license for someone he just met but will blow off a neighborhood  guy he knew all his life?

• Love 4

A question which has occurred to me is what role the hybrid ER/OR plays in the hospital as a whole. The rationale was that there often isn't enough time to transfer a patient to a regular operating room in an emergency, yet those regular operating rooms may well be better prepared to administer proper treatment in certain life and death situations. Also there seems to be uncertainty over the line of authority and who outranks whom in that facility.

And it shouldn't be overlooked that by assigning Connor Rhodes to the hybrid facility the hospital is losing a significant amount of the time available from one of its premier cardiothoracic surgeons. Where is Doctor Latham in all this? He really should have input into what is taking place.

• Love 3

Connor would not be in the cardio thoracic wing if he were not in the hybrid OR/ER. Connor was going to a different hospital (Mayo Clinic?). The only reason he is inside Chicago Med is that Connor being in the OR/ER was the reason Connor’s dad gave the “anonymous” donation

On 11/1/2018 at 3:08 PM, Janie430 said:

So I am actually really steamed with the show this week.  If the guy with the heart issue dies, it will be Will on the chopping block, not Jay or the cops.  The cops have no legal duty to look after the bad guy's health.  Will does.  If Will were found to have knowingly ignored the medical issues, even at the cop's instruction, it's his license, malpractice insurance, and possible manslaughter charges.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

The cops can argue that they may have told him not to interfere, but he was the one with medical knowledge, and therefore, it was his responsibility to override them in the best interest of the patient.  Plus, they have qualified immunity as agents of the law.  They can't be sued on an individual basis.  Will can be sued and lose.  Will's already got one adverse malpractice issue on his record.  Something like this goes sideways, he could end up never being able to practice medicine again, plus since he treated the guy outside the hospital at his home, his malpractice insurer could claim he violated the terms of his policy, and Will could end up paying for the suit, and declaring bankruptcy.                                                                                                                                 

It could be an incredible story, but I doubt the authors could do it justice.  So it annoys me.  

Also, it was said a few seasons ago that Will already has really high malpractice insurance because of some other issue.  Not that that will necessarily figure in....

• Love 1

...was the med student standing in the middle of Connor's OR without even a mask on?  And wearing his white coat?

For that matter, if they needed a central line, why place it without ultrasound guidance?  No one does it blind these days.

• Love 3

This show is just getting on my last nerve, yet I continue to watch. How in this day of highly enforced HIPAA laws did Drs. charles and Choi think they could get adoption papers without the parents consent of their minor child? Unreal.

• Love 1

Is it just me or is Jay incredibly unlikable every time he's on this show? I mean, yeah, I totally get he's been dealing with a lot of difficult and unpleasant things in recent seasons...but IMO he just comes off as mean a lot of the time.

• Love 2

Didn't this show just do an episode where parents "stole" their child?  Or am I thinking of another medical show?

The Ukranian woman's position of being afraid of being sent back reflects current US asylum policy.

Is Choi is still in a relationship with April?  How does he stand it? She's so morally superior to everyone. 'He's the father of her child. It's not for me to say how she lives her life.'

On 11/1/2018 at 12:12 AM, izabella said:

I liked Connor mentoring that med student whose name I don't know.  I don't understand why doctors in teaching hospitals are often so reluctant to teach on these shows.  Is that how it is in the real world?

I don't know how it is for men but it is a problem for women doctors. The New England Journal of Medicine published an article last month that male doctors report that the #MeToo movement.

In response, some men in positions of power now say they are afraid to participate in mentoring relationships with women. In a study focused on engaging men in gender-equity initiatives, 74% of male senior business managers cited fear as a barrier to men’s support for gender equity. A 2018 survey of nearly 3000 employed U.S.
adults found that some men have stopped meeting alone with women, and others will not meet with women they do not know well or who are considered to be their subordinates. Men say they fear false allegations of sexual misconduct that could compromise their reputations and end their careers, even if they were found to be innocent. [snip]

Women in academic medicine are not only underrepresented in leadership positions, they also make less money than their male counterparts even after analyses control for factors such as specialty, seniority, and number of work hours. They are less likely than men to have mentors who actively foster their careers.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Is it just me or is Jay incredibly unlikable every time he's on this show? I mean, yeah, I totally get he's been dealing with a lot of difficult and unpleasant things in recent seasons...but IMO he just comes off as mean a lot of the time.

Yes, he's always been a bit of a twat when he turns up on Med.

He's only dealing with his unpleasant things when he's on Med though, over on PD you'd never know his Dad died recently. It's just business as usual. The continuity of these shows basically suck.

• Love 3

Not just you. He comes off as both grumpy and mean. I'd actually go as to far as I say I prefer Will out of both anyway. 

On 5 November 2018 at 10:29 PM, Guildford said:

He's only dealing with his unpleasant things when he's on Med though, over on PD you'd never know his Dad died recently. It's just business as usual. The continuity of these shows basically suck.

Basically. Given he now pops up on Med and sucks up a large part of the storyline is say he gets more development there than on PD. 

Really sick of Conor the patron saint of all patients/interns/Manning lecturing all the big bads on how to treat patients. Worse is he's always right. There's no depth to him anyway.

Loving that intern though. 

• Love 1