Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Blackout

wknt3
  • Start Topic

When New York City experiences a major blackout, cops scramble to contain the resulting chaos, and Frank uncovers some unpleasant truths about his department in the aftermath. Also, Jamie and Eddie question the line between work and their relationship, and Danny and Baez race to question the subject of a murder investigation before she gets tipped off by her ex-boyfriend.

It's weird, but I kind of feel like everybody was in the wrong in this epi.  I wasn't interested at all in what Danny and Baez were doing for whatever reason, so I don't remember it.

But, Frank's thing: The mayor shouldn't have made that order. The cop shouldn't have followed it, or should have at least checked with Frank.  Frank should have understood the position and I think a suspension would have been more in order than a firing, but I am happier with the compromise of a demotion..  

Jamie and Eddie's thing: This is why they shouldn't be working together.  If Jamie had an actual concern about that detective, he should have been more specific as to Eddie with why, because it did come out like he was just being overprotective.  She's a cop for crying out loud.  This is her job.  And, if he has all these specifics of how dangerous he is, maybe he should report him to someone.  But, I don't know if he did or he was just blowing smoke.  It was hard to tell.  Second, he should have stayed at his desk. It wasn't his case.    But, I don't think they needed to wait for the guy to start raping Eddie. He had already knocked her down by the time Jamie jumped on him.

Erin's thing: This one is more complicated.  I don't think the woman should have been let off completely. But, maybe a plea bargain with probation?  Or a light sentence?  And, I do understand that maybe a jury could have decided that.  And, I'm sick of Anthony yelling at Erin about how she shouldn't obey her boss.  That's ridiculous.  If she can't work under him because they have too disparate of ideas of what should be prosecuted, maybe she should quit and go into private practice.  She was mad at Anthony last week for making the office  lose respect for her, but if she keeps bucking her boss, that's exactly what she's doing to him.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Rambler said:

Frank lecturing everybody at the dinner table about listening to subordinates seemed rather strange after ignoring everything Sid had to say in the previous scene.

I think he was supposed to be teaching himself a very special lesson.

• Love 3

I wasn't a fan of this ep.  I tuned out the Erin parts and really didn't care about Danny and Baez's case.  I care about Eddie and Jamie, bit they were both wrong in this ep.  Just admit they blur the lines and live with it.  This ep was not written and/or edited well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dirtydi said:

Just admit they blur the lines and live with it.

This is why them working together is stupid and completely unrealistic.  Employers have rules about that for a reason.  Of course, he's not going to want her out on the street tempting an attacker and she should understand that.  She should work out of a different precinct where he doesn't know and control everything she's doing.   Jamie being Eddie's direct supervisor is the stupidest thing the show has ever done.

I thought the Danny/Baez story was pretty good.  I want to know what happened to the idiot doorman.

• Love 8

This is one of those shows I loathe the Regan family.

Frank as usual sitting high on his pedestal with his rigid look at his subjects

Jamie and Eddie who knew this was going to happen.

And for Erin all of a sudden she has some compassion for someone. Please.

As for Danny it's business as usual. 

4 hours ago, JackONeill said:

Sometimes this show is hard to take. I'll leave it at that.

AMEN

Edited by CaptainCranky
typo
  • Love 3

I thought Eddie casually walking through the park in the rain, in heels, was beyond stupid. Sure sometimes you get caught in the rain. But no one just strolls while it’s pouring! I get that she was trying to lure the rapist  but still...

jamie leaping (literally) to protect her was ridiculous.  As others have said if he has a specific beef with the detective, he’s the Sargent. He should have said something.  Either he trusts Eddie to do her job or he doesn’t. And if he doesn’t he again needs to speak up. Regardless she has no business being assigned to his precinct. Do the other cops know they’re engaged? If they do, that’s got to make things uncomfortable all around. 

I understood Franks position. The cHief should have known better than to try and ‘protect’ the  commissioner.  It’s the commissioners job to take the heat from the mayor, not a local precinct commander or chief. He knew the request was wrong and even dangerous yet he decided to do it anyway. His job is to serve and protect ALL citizens, not just the mayors friends. If he doesn’t know that by now he definitely shouldn’t be in a positoin lf suthority in the poice force.

• Love 4

Whenever there's an episode where Danny's plot is the best written part of the whole thing we know we're in trouble. Eddie and Jamie's story just got as ridiculous as everybody predicted. Frank is pontificating and the Mayor is screwing all over the NYPD - what else is new? I really didn't follow Erin's plot that closely - apparently her new rank is the linchpin for all her plots this season that much I get.

• Love 7

I love Tom Selleck in most roles he's played over the years but his character in this show sucks. He's rigid  with no respect for other people. In two words he's "self righteous. Not an enduring trait in my world.

While I'm bashing his character I was under the impression that in NYC that the commissions of all agencies were civilians and were political appointments. Of course in this show he's a cop. To me it just doesn't make sense but then again this is TV and you can write any story line you want.

One final thought. I was thinking the other day why I continue to watch this show and to me it's simple.  It's the only cop show on TV that doesn't have a lot of gratuitous chase scenes, shootouts and excessive amount of blowing stuff up.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

While I'm bashing his character I was under the impression that in NYC that the commissions of all agencies were civilians and were political appointments. Of course in this show he's a cop. To me it just doesn't make sense but then again this is TV and you can write any story line you want.

It is a political appointment. The various mayors have threatened to fire him several times over the course of the show. And, he said that he had to quit the police department to take the job, or something to that effect.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It is a political appointment. The various mayors have threatened to fire him several times over the course of the show. And, he said that he had to quit the police department to take the job, or something to that effect.

Yes, that is how it works. The problem is, there have been no moral gray on his character or any of the other city officials. They are either on one end of the spectrum or on the other. They do good, but are self-righteous. Or they they are self righteous and are blinded by their own missions. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

he said that he had to quit the police department to take the job, or something to that effect.

That makes no sense. The NYC police commissioner is a cop. Always has been, always will be. Just like the Fire commissioner comes up thru the ranks. They aren’t civilians.

9 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

That makes no sense. The NYC police commissioner is a cop. Always has been, always will be. Just like the Fire commissioner comes up thru the ranks. They aren’t civilians.

Speaking of which — Do the jobs occupied by Garrett (not a cop) and Sid (is a cop) actually exist? It doesn’t matter, except I’ve always been curious. (I just started watching the show in reruns a few months ago.) And for what it’s worth, the best part of this show is NOT the family dinners (though they can interesting), but the little discussions between Frank, Garrett, and Sid (and sometimes Abbie). I often see Magnum and Higgins in those scenes. Which , I’m sure, TPTB would hate to hear. And we need more Abbie!

48 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

According to Wikipedia the Commissioner is a civilian.

"The New York City Police Commissioner is the head of the New York City Police Department. The Commissioner is appointed by the Mayor, and serves at the Mayor's pleasure. The Commissioner is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the department as well as the appointment of deputies and subordinate officers. Commissioners are civilian administrators, and they and their subordinate deputies are civilians under an oath of office, not uniformed members of the force who are sworn officers of the law. There is a separate position from Chief of Department, the holder of which serves as the senior sworn uniformed member of the force."

One other thing while I'm at it. According to Wikipedia the ranks of police are patrolman, detective grades 3-1, sergeant. lieutenant and captain at the precinct level. If that is true Jamie outranks Dany.

Edited by CaptainCranky
43 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

"The New York City Police Commissioner is the head of the New York City Police Department. The Commissioner is appointed by the Mayor, and serves at the Mayor's pleasure. The Commissioner is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the department as well as the appointment of deputies and subordinate officers. Commissioners are civilian administrators, and they and their subordinate deputies are civilians under an oath of office, not uniformed members of the force who are sworn officers of the law. There is a separate position from Chief of Department, the holder of which serves as the senior sworn uniformed member of the force."

One other thing while I'm at it. According to Wikipedia the ranks of police are patrolman, detective grades 3-1, sergeant. lieutenant and captain at the precinct level. If that is true Jamie outranks Dany.

Depending on how many precincts their are also determine if there are things such as: Section Chiefs, Training Captains, ect. Something that drives me crazy between Blue Bloods and Station 19, they do the basics on positions of rank on both shows. They have things with Frank as Commissioner fine, he was a cop and many commissioners are usually former cops who made it at least to captain level. Unlike on Station 19, they have a Fire Chief that majority of the them didn't know what he looked like. Had two battalion chiefs and then the usual ranks of captain and lieutenants, but don't work with deputy chiefs or section chiefs in any form. Then they complain that the Fire Chief is responsible for scheduling who responds to who, when that's not their jobs. They are in charge of making sure the section and Captains are doing that. Much like Frank as the Commissioner, yet they act like he has to know EVERYONE's little duty and pieces. No, that's not his job.  

I'm so tired of the tug of war between Jamie and Eddie. It's not interesting. 

Tom Selleck is starting to show his age this season (finally). Still handsome but I do admire that he has not chosen to go the botox and filler route and is just naturally letting his lines and sags be what they are. Regarding the character, must they always have him buttoned up in a 3 piece suit with that same old striped tie? 

• Love 3

I think the one thing we could all agree to is that while most of the Blueblood's shows are enjoyable to watch (with a few exceptions like the latest episode) that there is very little if any relationship to the real world and reality with the show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

Yes.   That's true which is why seeing Frank put on the uniform always bothered me.

I love the fact that Jamie outranks Danny.  That has to come up in an episode soon.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Tom Selleck is starting to show his age this season (finally). Still handsome but I do admire that he has not chosen to go the botox and filler route and is just naturally letting his lines and sags be what they are. Regarding the character, must they always have him buttoned up in a 3 piece suit with that same old striped tie? 

We all saw this coming, and it will only get worse now that Jamie supervises his fiance. The undercover escapade was so ridiculous it was laughable. Don't these writers have any sense of _______________ (fill in the blank).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

That's true which is why seeing Frank put on the uniform always bothered me.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as a former policeman who became commissioner, does that not still give him the right to wear the uniform on formal occasions?  

Also, please help.  I must have dozed off at the end.  What was the outcome of Danny's story?  Did the ex-girlfriend kill the woman in the apartment and then commit suicide?  I am confused.

33 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but as a former policeman who became commissioner, does that not still give him the right to wear the uniform on formal occasions?  

Also, please help.  I must have dozed off at the end.  What was the outcome of Danny's story?  Did the ex-girlfriend kill the woman in the apartment and then commit suicide?  I am confused.

They never came right out and said she did but I guess it's assumed she did. Her ex called her to warn her.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

They never came right out and said she did but I guess it's assumed she did. Her ex called her to warn her.

That's because four storylines in one episode are too much.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

"Former" policemen (including commissioners) cannot wear the uniform after they retire or leave the force and Frank is no longer on the force.  Considering how many years he was on the force,  I'm assuming Frank is retired.   They can retire after 20 years on the job.   When they leave the force they must hand in their badge, service weapon and any uniforms issued to them by the department.   They may keep the extra uniform shirts, etc that they purchased.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, AnnA said:

I love the fact that Jamie outranks Danny.  That has to come up in an episode soon.

I think they already brought it up at dinner, but it was a quick mention. I love the idea but how do you make it a significant plot point? 

• Love 1

Also from Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Police_Department

The commissioner and his subordinate deputies are civilians under an oath of office and are not uniformed members of the force who are sworn officers of the law. However, a police commissioner who comes up from the uniformed ranks retains that status while serving as police commissioner. This has ramifications for their police pensions and the fact that any police commissioner who is considered sworn does not need a pistol permit to carry a firearm and retains the statutory powers of a police officer. Some police commissioners (like Ray Kelly) carry a personal firearm, but they also have a full-time security detail from the Police Commissioner's (Detective) Squad.

1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think they already brought it up at dinner, but it was a quick mention. I love the idea but how do you make it a significant plot point? 

Danny will overstep his boundaries while somehow meandering into Jaimie's precinct. He will have to face off against the officer in charge (Jaime), his brother who outranks him. Then he'll give him some guff just like he does with his sister, Erin. After all, Danny is super-cop and takes orders from no one.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Also from Wikipedia:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Police_Department

The commissioner and his subordinate deputies are civilians under an oath of office and are not uniformed members of the force who are sworn officers of the law. However, a police commissioner who comes up from the uniformed ranks retains that status while serving as police commissioner. This has ramifications for their police pensions and the fact that any police commissioner who is considered sworn does not need a pistol permit to carry a firearm and retains the statutory powers of a police officer. Some police commissioners (like Ray Kelly) carry a personal firearm, but they also have a full-time security detail from the Police Commissioner's (Detective) Squad.

This references pensions and carry permits but does not address the wearing of a police uniform.

Please see the above post.

Edited by AnnA

I think that Erin's boss is a first class dick. She may have  disobeyed an order, but her reasoning was consistent with the philosophy shown on the show. His "I collect with interest" comment came across (to me) as a thinly veiled threat.

Also, if he follows through, how long will he last with Frank, Danny, etc. watching over their daughter/sister??

5 minutes ago, MDL said:

His "I collect with interest" comment came across (to me) as a thinly veiled threat.

I wouldn't even call it a thinly veiled threat. It was a threat threat.

5 minutes ago, MDL said:

Also, if he follows through, how long will he last with Frank, Danny, etc. watching over their daughter/sister??

I don't know what anybody can do about a DA.  it's not as if he's going to physically harm her.

I'm a huge Tom Select fan. The only other male actors I've liked over the years have been James Garner and Sam Elliott.

But this character I really don't care for. The self righteousness and rigidity of the character does not work for me.

But most of all the facial expressions. But hey that's just me.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I wouldn't even call it a thinly veiled threat. It was a threat threat.

I don't know what anybody can do about a DA.  it's not as if he's going to physically harm her.

I don't know about physical harm but the police department could drag their feet on a few high profile cases.

16 hours ago, preeya said:

Danny will overstep his boundaries while somehow meandering into Jaimie's precinct. He will have to face off against the officer in charge (Jaime), his brother who outranks him. Then he'll give him some guff just like he does with his sister, Erin. After all, Danny is super-cop and takes orders from no one.

I love this. It's perfect. I can picture Danny's case intersecting with a case at Jamie's precinct. Danny thinks getting what he needs will be easy. He is shocked when Jamie says no and reaches furious when Jamie pulls rank. The argument is loud and can be heard by most people close by. The other officers are impressed that Jamie is willing to stand up to his super-cop older brother. They know Danny's reputation and can't believe the boy scout is actually standing up to him, saying no, and not backing down. 

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

I don't know about physical harm but the police department could drag their feet on a few high profile cases.

But, why would they do that? That would just help keep the criminals on the street.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, MDL said:

I think that Erin's boss is a first class dick.

I love him, because he is played by Aasif Mandvi. I am that easy. I have to admit that I tend to root for the people who go up against the Reagan's, especially Frank and Danny.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

I'm a huge Tom Select fan. The only other male actors I've liked over the years have been James Garner and Sam Elliott.

But this character I really don't care for. The self righteousness and rigidity of the character does not work for me.

But most of all the facial expressions. But hey that's just me.

Hmm.. Frank is such a boring character, I neither like nor dislike him.  I think Tom was miscast in this role, but I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority of one on that!  

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, CaptainCranky said:

I didn't say stop but just slow the whole process down. 

I still don't see what the benefit of that would be.  they would be shooting themselves in the foot as well.  They want to get the bad guys off the street, and they want to do it quickly and efficiently. Every day they're dragging their feet with the bad guy out on bail is another opportunity for him to commit another crime.  And, if they're dragging their feet before the indictment that would really give the bad guy time.  If they do it after the indictment, they risk not getting the conviction because it's the judge that sets the calendar.  Plus, with the exception of Danny, the Reagans are by-the-book type.  And, they are only 3 people anyway, with Frank not directly involved.  How many cases could they jam up even if they wanted to (which I will never concede they would).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Hmm.. Frank is such a boring character, I neither like nor dislike him.  I think Tom was miscast in this role, but I'm sure I'm in a tiny minority of one on that!  

The character is one dimensional. And yes this is not a good role for Selleck. He needs a life as well as everyone else in the family. Only Jamie has one now and that will not end well. You now have three widowers and a divorcee.

In the first season he had a lady friend who was a reporter but that went south when he got a call when they were together and she reported it.  And it seems he had a fling in one other season but that went nowhere.

The character needs to get laid.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I still don't see what the benefit of that would be.  they would be shooting themselves in the foot as well.  They want to get the bad guys off the street, and they want to do it quickly and efficiently. Every day they're dragging their feet with the bad guy out on bail is another opportunity for him to commit another crime.  And, if they're dragging their feet before the indictment that would really give the bad guy time.  If they do it after the indictment, they risk not getting the conviction because it's the judge that sets the calendar.  Plus, with the exception of Danny, the Reagans are by-the-book type.  And, they are only 3 people anyway, with Frank not directly involved.  How many cases could they jam up even if they wanted to (which I will never concede they would).

I respect your thinking but you have to choose your battles.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:37 AM, Rambler said:

Frank lecturing everybody at the dinner table about listening to subordinates seemed rather strange after ignoring everything Sid had to say in the previous scene.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:57 AM, Katy M said:

I think he was supposed to be teaching himself a very special lesson.

I think that might be the case. It's always hard to tell when they are going for Frank being wrong, but simply can't actually go there and when it's simply clueless and incompetent in the writing.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:58 AM, JackONeill said:

Speaking of which — Do the jobs occupied by Garrett (not a cop) and Sid (is a cop) actually exist? It doesn’t matter, except I’ve always been curious. (I just started watching the show in reruns a few months ago.) And for what it’s worth, the best part of this show is NOT the family dinners (though they can interesting), but the little discussions between Frank, Garrett, and Sid (and sometimes Abbie).

The office scenes are usually better simply because there are no weak links in the acting in the office unlike at the dinner table. As far as the jobs are concerned Garrett's job does exist - Deputy Commissioner, Public Informarion or DCPI. Basically the NYPD's Press Secretary. In real life he wouldn't be doing some of what he is shown doing since real PC's are savvy political operators and don't need so much handling. As far as Sid's job is concerned it's a bit more complicated, Basically there are several high level aides and administrators who would be doing what he does. And his original promotion was complete fantasy, he was promoted from detective squad sergeant to special assistant or whatever his title is supposed to be because Frank couldn't find anybody he liked enough to be made Chief of Department and Frank wanted a real cop to be his right hand man or something like that.

On 10/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, bichonblitz said:

It's not just not interesting, it's actively harming my enjoyment of the show. Not only is the plot itself obnoxious, but it's keeping them from actually telling all of the interesting stories that they can tell now that they've finally done the right thing and promoted Jamie. I don't understand why they insist on shoving this couple down our throats when all they can come up is endlessly recycling the same few stories that didn't interest me the first time they told them. Plus to do it we have to pretend that there's nothing wrong with the whole romantic relationship between a superior and subordinate thing. You would think the new execs at CBS would realize that's not something that's acceptable these days...

Sometimes they have him in sweaters! And I believe there is a post or two above this that mentions they have him in uniform sometimes too. I'd admire Selleck for aging gracefully a bit more if he didn't dump that shoe polish over his hair.

• Love 2

I don’t mind the unrealistic way some things play out since I watch for enjoyment and escapism at the end of a long work week. And I’m a big fan of Jamie and Eddie - I miss having them as patrol partners but I like seeing this new chapter for them. 

I wish Frank wasn’t such a sanctimonious jerk, though. His “all power belongs to me here in my office” attitude during the blackout made me realize how much I dislike this character most of the time. A good leader would actually show some faith in the people directly under him since he (presumably) put most of them into their positions. He acts like the city can’t possibly function without him calling all the shots from his ivory tower. 

• Love 3
On 10/20/2018 at 5:50 PM, Sake614 said:

I thought Eddie casually walking through the park in the rain, in heels, was beyond stupid. Sure sometimes you get caught in the rain. But no one just strolls while it’s pouring! I get that she was trying to lure the rapist  but still...

jamie leaping (literally) to protect her was ridiculous.  As others have said if he has a specific beef with the detective, he’s the Sargent. He should have said something.  Either he trusts Eddie to do her job or he doesn’t. And if he doesn’t he again needs to speak up. Regardless she has no business being assigned to his precinct. Do the other cops know they’re engaged? If they do, that’s got to make things uncomfortable all around. 

I understood Franks position. The cHief should have known better than to try and ‘protect’ the  commissioner.  It’s the commissioners job to take the heat from the mayor, not a local precinct commander or chief. He knew the request was wrong and even dangerous yet he decided to do it anyway. His job is to serve and protect ALL citizens, not just the mayors friends. If he doesn’t know that by now he definitely shouldn’t be in a positoin lf suthority in the poice force.

I think they were pretending it wasn't raining.  These shooting schedules are tight and they just had to muscle through.  Law and Order, all recipes do the same thing, its a down pour and they act like nothings happening.  

On 10/21/2018 at 6:16 AM, CaptainCranky said:

I love Tom Selleck in most roles he's played over the years but his character in this show sucks. He's rigid  with no respect for other people. In two words he's "self righteous. Not an enduring trait in my world.

One final thought. I was thinking the other day why I continue to watch this show and to me it's simple.  It's the only cop show on TV that doesn't have a lot of gratuitous chase scenes, shootouts and excessive amount of blowing stuff up.

He is appointed and in his role as Commissioner he not NOT a cop.  In his commissioner role, he can't do any police work. He happens to be a retired cop that is the Commissioner, appointed by the Mayor.  

• Love 1
On 10/21/2018 at 7:34 PM, MDL said:

I think that Erin's boss is a first class dick. She may have  disobeyed an order, but her reasoning was consistent with the philosophy shown on the show. His "I collect with interest" comment came across (to me) as a thinly veiled threat.

I hate the DA.  Can't all cop/court shows set in NYC just all agree to have Jack McCoy as their DA?  I don't understand why this would be an issue.  ;)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I hate the DA.  Can't all cop/court shows set in NYC just all agree to have Jack McCoy as their DA?  I don't understand why this would be an issue.  ;)

I would love this, but only if he got to bring the L&O writers with him! Otherwise his awesomeness mixing with the Blue Bloods universal law that anyone who would cops legally accountable is an evil communist and that all high ranking non-Reagan, non-police civil servants and politicians are self serving and corrupt would be like the combination of matter and antimatter, possibly destroying all police procedurals in the resulting explosive reaction.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I would love this, but only if he got to bring the L&O writers with him! Otherwise his awesomeness mixing with the Blue Bloods universal law that anyone who would cops legally accountable is an evil communist and that all high ranking non-Reagan, non-police civil servants and politicians are self serving and corrupt would be like the combination of matter and antimatter, possibly destroying all police procedurals in the resulting explosive reaction.

well duh.  LOL. Sadly, I can't like this more than once.  

On 10/23/2018 at 2:43 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

His "I collect with interest" comment came across (to me) as a thinly veiled threat.

I can't believe, in this 'me too' climate, that the writers had a male boss say something like that to his female subordinate.  If a higher up at my company said something even remotely along that line to me, I'd be marching directly to the HR department.  The ol' 'ill do this for you, but you'll have to do this for me' is harrassment.

And....I'm confused about the resolution to Danny's case.  I felt like there should've been more.  So we're just to assume Ben's ex decided to throw herself out a multi-story window rather than face murder charges?  I was waiting for something more - like maybe she was pushed by the real killer to make her look guilty by committing suicide rather than go to jail.  Something just felt missing at the end,

Jamie and Eddie can really just go the eff away.  I NEVER wanted them to get engaged because, like what shows like Castle taught me, it changes the dynamic of the relationship, putting the man in the 'It's my job to protect you' mode, and the woman in the 'I can take care of myself' mode.  It's just really tiresome and it's only the 4th episode.  I have a feeling that no one at their precinct knows they're engaged yet, but when they do......yeah, not good.

4 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I can't believe, in this 'me too' climate, that the writers had a male boss say something like that to his female subordinate.  If a higher up at my company said something even remotely along that line to me, I'd be marching directly to the HR department.  The ol' 'ill do this for you, but you'll have to do this for me' is harrassment.

I don't think has anything to do with "me too."  It's not sexual in nature. It's not because she's a woman.  It's because she defied him.  Frankly, I would be more offended if the show had her boss (who is clearly a jerk) treating her nicely simply because she's a woman.  She was at least partly, if not mostly, in the wrong here and he called her out on it.  Yes, he's doing her a favor and he expects something in return.  But, the threat was over the top.

• Love 4
On 10/23/2018 at 2:38 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

I think they were pretending it wasn't raining.  These shooting schedules are tight and they just had to muscle through.  Law and Order, all recipes do the same thing, its a down pour and they act like nothings happening.  

He is appointed and in his role as Commissioner he not NOT a cop.  In his commissioner role, he can't do any police work. He happens to be a retired cop that is the Commissioner, appointed by the Mayor.  

Yes, the Commissioner is usually a retired    (and collecting a nice sized pension) cop who gets appointed to a nice high paying job by the Mayor.