Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Book of Consequences, Chapter One: The Rise of The Green Light Babies

• Start Topic

Jefferson Pierce and his family may have survived Tobias’s attack, but they’re not out of the woods yet. Concerned for the safety of Garfield’s students, the board considers a motion to shut down the school, forcing Jefferson to go to Napier Frank to sway the vote. Jennifer struggles with her powers and her actions have unforeseen repercussions. Meanwhile, Anissa finds a new way to give back to Freeland. Lastly, Lynn continues her quest much to the dismay of Agent Odell.

• Love 1

The fight scene between Syonide/Kara is so good and fun! I need this person to do the Arrow fights sometimes but I really hope Syonide isnt dead, she is a fun henchwoman.

I am glad that they are continuing to deal with Jens powers the way they are instead of her instantly accepting them and being a pro at everything.

We are already in the first episode of the 2nd season and the cop figures it out instead of having to play dumb for 44+ episodes, win in my book. THis show continues to be the best superhero show on TheCW. They really dont treat their characters as being stupid and incompetent. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

They really dont treat their characters as being stupid and incompetent. 

I love that. So many shows rely on the characters being amazingly uncommunicative and unobservant. It's a relief that this one doesn't. All the secrets are coming out now, including the one about the school VP. I am so tired of the way shows think they are creating suspense by simply holding back on story and character development. Good writers can tell the story and don't need to hold it back to fill time.

I really like the way Lynn's and Jefferson's relationship has evolved, and I like that Anissa is not waiting around to take orders from her distracted parents. I do hope they haven't abandoned her personal life, though.

• Love 8

They're not really killing off Syonide, are they?? Besides the fact that she's supposed to be indestructable (or mostly, right?), a good henchwoman is hard to find!

And did they ALSO kill off Fowdy? This is Lady Eve/Tobias's sister all over again.

Overall, this was a good season premiere that opened up lots of interesting storylines.

More thoughts later....

• Love 4

Agreeing with everyone else.. Really hope that's not the end for syonide.. That creepy-faced half-mute was a fav of mine.. I do also enjoy that secrets don't stay quiet for long.. I don't think Ms"bitch you got my hair wet"(lol)  Fowdy is dead so may be interesting to see if she is integrated later on.. She's def capable.. I'm glad Lynn is bringing up the mental health aspect of all this.. Something that isn't spoken up much in out community or the super hero community either so doubly important for her family.. As much as I love the flash.. If for one week the writers here could head over to the flash to write for iris and Joe and Cecile and wally if he's sticking around and I guess Nora.. Man that would be awesome... 

• Love 4

They sure weren't messing around with the big changes and reveals in this episode, huh?  Syonide gets killed by Kara (or is she dead for good?), and Kara is now working with Gambi by going after Tobias.  Jefferson is forced to step down as principal, in order to save the school.  Lynn is now working with the ASA, in order to help the pod kids.  Anissa is robbing criminals in order to help the parents of the pod kids get money for a legal defense.  Jennifer's powers are all kinds of crazy.  And Henderson figures out Jefferson is Black Lightning all on his own.  Craziness!

Even when they are at odds, Jefferson and Lynn are the best.  Cress Williams and Christine Adams have fantastic chemistry.

While we didn't see him, it certainly looks like Khalil is still in play (complete with Jordan Calloway being a regular now.)

Bill Duke and Robert Townsend showing up?  Getting the big guns for this season!

The soundtrack continues to be the best out of all television.

Welcome back, Black Lightning!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Trini said:

They're not really killing off Syonide, are they?? Besides the fact that she's supposed to be indestructable (or mostly, right?), a good henchwoman is hard to find!

Imagine the ad for that position on Craigslist or elsewhere: "Wanted, henchwoman (or man) for equal opportunity employer to deal as needed with rivals, law enforcement and the occasional meta human. Profencency in hand-to-hand combat and firearms required. Must be available 24/7, 365 days a year. Vacation time as determined by employer. Housing, wardrobe and weapons provided by employer. Opportunities for advancement to kill for."

Edited by AD35
  • Love 5

Like others, I hope that isn't the end for Syonide. Although it's rarely a good sign when they give a character with no lines a speaking part. 

Great start. I was nervous when they opened the show with all these characters at odds with one another; I was afraid it was turning into a standard CW "let's have everyone fighting" show, but they did a great job of showing that the fraying at the edges was really a direct result of the events of the first season, and quickly got the characters back to working and talking together again. 

They laid a lot of groundwork for the coming season, too. Glad this show is back on air again! I got to see the cast at SDCC and they really all seem incredibly invested in the show and one another (and was surprised how different Krondon is from Tobias in real life!)

• Love 2

"Black Lightning: It might not be the superhero show we want, but it's the superhero show we need."

I mean, the series is as subtle as a sledgehammer, but if you take away stuff like the powers and drugs that give those to people, I'd say it still wouldn't be that far removed from reality. it does fill a niche neglected for the most part by the other DC shows on the CW, and the music and fights are awesome. Simultaneous somersaults during a fight? I actually rewound that.

I just want to get this right. It costs money to sue the federal government. Anissa gets all ninja'ed up (as opposed to the bright Thunder colors), beats the shit out of drug dealers and worse, and takes their money to give to the church to pay for the suing. And she thinks the people she beat up wouldn't notice? And she's supposed to be te smart one?

Hey, Tobias! Thank you, @Cthulhudrew, for letting me know Krondon is much different from the character he plays, because I can't see that many people who want to get that grimy in real life. The harpoon from a dude called "Whale"? Great touch.

No more "electrical dysfunction" jokes. Please.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

... And another thing... Meteor Man showed up.. And they had a modified field ni*** house ni*** conversation.. This show is too real

I think they were throwing shade at Bill Maher, those words had him apologizing for weeks, on this show nobody even bats an eyelash.

This show is SO GOOD. It's by far, IMO the best DC show on the CW.  Maybe the best show on the CW.  SO GREAT!

And TBF, any show that uses Parliament's "Flashlight" for a fight sequence puts it above most anything else. 

• Love 2

I really love this show.  I wish people would give this show just a fraction of the attention that they gave black panther.  Its so real and current and relevant to everything that is happening with black people today.  No character is too stupid to put clues together.  Stuff happens so quickly on this show that its just a joy to watch.  That fight with Karen and Syonide was bananas.  I read that Syonide is really dead.  I never found her terribly interesting so I'm not that sad to see her go.  Lady Eve was a much more interesting villain imo.  Tobias seemed real broken up about it, I wonder if Karen managed to survive her fall.  She seems super resilient and smart so I hope she sticks around.

I have to say Lynn is still my least favorite.  She's often hypocritical when it comes to the kids and their abilities as well as what she is allowed to do and what Jefferson is allowed to do.  Her approach to the girls and their powers is too rigid and controlling and I'm kind of glad she got blasted by Jennifer for being pushy.  It'll be interesting to see her work with the pod people and have to deal with basically lying to the government.  Might humble her a bit.

I kind of both love and hate that Jennifer's transition into a meta is not easy.  Its not always fun.  Its hard and its dangerous and its confusing and sometimes very isolating.  I think her powers are the most fascinating and I am excited to see them manifest fully.  Watching her have to listen to Keesha talk badly about metas was hard to watch.  I forget where we left off with Khalil.  I was under the impression that he had fully joined Tobias at the end of season one.  

Jefferson also has yet to realize that there are bigger things happening than getting Tobias.  And still kind of absurdly naive about what the cops and the government will do to help Freeland.  I think he was humbled quite a bit by Robert Townsend's character in the end.  I do wonder if this was all done so that Napier could take over Garfield High?  I'm sure we will find out next episode ;).  

Anissa is Anissa at this point.  She's very much like my own sister in the sense that she doesn't always listen to advice and has to fall hard on her face before she can see reason.  Do I think Anissa is doing a great thing by stealing from the rich drug dealers to help the church?  Of course.  Do I think its going to absolutely blow up in her face?  Of course.  Wearing a new costume doesn't change that the fact that she was still using Thunder's powers.  People on this show know how to put two and two together.

I felt so badly for that green light baby that came back to life.  His mother seemed unable to not say everything she said to him when he came back, I wonder if that is part of his abilities?  I wonder why he didn't try to stay with his sister?  She seemed to be on his side.  I was really expecting to see him get snatched up at the end.  I wonder if his character will be important later.

I wish the writers on the other dc shows knew how to do tight storytelling like Black Lightning does.  What a breath of fresh air that would be.

Edited by blugirlami21
17 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

If they ever do a crossover with the rest of the arrowverse..

A Supergirl crossover would be interesting since technically her show is set in the same universe as BL

23 minutes ago, TDT said:

A Supergirl crossover would be interesting since technically her show is set in the same universe as BL

I think Supergirl was only mentioned as a comic book character, so I don't think that it's been established that they're in the same universe.

I'd rather not have any crossovers; BL is on a whole different level than the other DC shows.

20 minutes ago, Trini said:

I think Supergirl was only mentioned as a comic book character, so I don't think that it's been established that they're in the same universe.

I'd rather not have any crossovers; BL is on a whole different level than the other DC shows.

Bl is on a diff level... But I want the BL writers to get a chance to show the rest of the arrowverse writers how to write for Iris  and Amaya(Charlie)  and Curtis.. Diggle.. Wally.. J'onn.. Nora.. Joe.. Cecile.. Jimmy hell even Rene, Cisco... Zara and Dinah( who's apparently multiracial... Well at least in real life) cuz as much as I love those guys and those shows... besides Jimmy and J'onn briefly touching on some past racism and cisco speaking Spanish to his family.. There haven't been a ton of cultural markers for the POC on the arrowverse

• Love 1

Dang, that sucks about Syonide. A good henchwoman is hard to find, and we never really even knew anything about her! Stop killing all your coolest villains, show! 

So much went down this week! The Syonide vs. Kara fight was awesome (high heel knife weapons!), Jennifer is glowing all over the place, the government is holding the pod kids, Lynn is working with ASA to help them, Jefferson steps down from his job, his cop contact knows who is is, so much stuff! Love this show, so glad that its back! 

The soundtrack is still one of the best on television, I really need to check if it has its own playlist online somewhere. 

Lynn isnt wrong that getting a therapist would be a good thing for their whole family, even if they cant give out ALL the information as to what Jennifer is angsty about. Really, if more superheroes got therapy, I think we could avoid a lot of the problems we get in these franchises. 

So can these powers make people come back from the dead, or was he not really dead, and they just couldn't tell until after the funeral? I guess the kid has some kind of truth power. What a shitty way to come back from death. Not only being shot at by yet more cops, climbing out of your own body bag, but your mom goes on a rant about how much she wishes you died. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Stop killing all your coolest villains, show!

So true, I liked the dead ones way more than the ones they kept.

36 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Not only being shot at by yet more cops, climbing out of your own body bag, but your mom goes on a rant about how much she wishes you died. 

Why were the cops even there in the first place?

• Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 6:39 AM, UNOSEZ said:

... And another thing... Meteor Man showed up.. And they had a modified field ni*** house ni*** conversation.. This show is too real

At one point I was thinking about how I wanted this show to be like MANTIS and it's becoming "Lean on Me."

On 2018-10-13 at 2:11 PM, AnimeMania said:

So true, I liked the dead ones way more than the ones they kept.

Why were the cops even there in the first place?

They were taking the body...I assume for the government to run tests on. 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:16 AM, AnimeMania said:

I think they were throwing shade at Bill Maher, those words had him apologizing for weeks, on this show nobody even bats an eyelash.

Because they aren't white. Of course, it's not getting traction.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2018 at 2:31 PM, Trini said:

I took it to mean that there is a Supergirl and a Vixen in this universe, because they've mentioned other metahumans, but not the same ones we've seen on the other shows.  So if they did do a crossover (not that I want one, this show stands on its own) they could get the actors but they could play the characters completely different.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:16 AM, tennisgurl said:

So much went down this week! The Syonide vs. Kara fight was awesome (high heel knife weapons!)

Literal stiletto heels.  I also will miss Syonide, although they have had characters come back from the dead before on here.

• Love 1