Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Fresh Off the RV

Honey and Marvin celebrate the birth of their baby. In other events, Jessica's book is finally released, and she's optimistically looking forward to a book store reading that's been set up by her publisher to help boost sales. Louis is so excited to promote the book across the country that he buys an RV from Los Angeles Lakers great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who owns an RV dealership that is managed by underappreciated Calvin. Meanwhile, Emery and Evan worry about Eddie.

Original air date: 10/5/18

1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Quick thoughts:

-I laughed loudly at the Kazaam/Shazam joke

-It seems they muted Jessica's accent more. 

-URKEL!

Decent start to the season, but I am going to miss Nicole. 

Yeah, it definitely seemed like Jessica had less of an accent! I thought maybe I was imagining it because I had just seen “Crazy Rich Asians” and Constance has no accent in that.

I will miss Nicole too! I really loved the friendship that she and Eddie shared.

• Love 3

Luna Blaise is on the new series Manifest, so I guess she is gone for good. Maybe she'll have time for the occasional appearance, but she won't have time to be on as many episodes as she has been in previous seasons.

• Love 2

Other than the sweet heart-to-heart between Eddie and Nicole at the end, I thought this episode sucked. 

I was glad to see Jessica and her godawful book fail. I hated that story line; it was just stupid and the samples of her book we heard were terrible. (In an Irish lit class I took in college, we read The Year of the French, about an Irish uprising against the British in the 18th century. One of the characters is a renowned poet, but we never see any of his poetry. The professor asked us why we thought that was -- because this way, we wouldn't judge his work, we said. He agreed. My point? If we were to think Jessica's book was good, we should never have heard any of its content.) Also, what bookstore would schedule a reading of a mediocre book on the release date of a novel so widely anticipated as the Harry Potter books?

Also, it was just painful to watch Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (although I did like the shout-out to his role in Airplane).

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

They showed the first Harry Potter book being released. It wouldn't have been a big thing at that point. No one knew Harry Potter or JK Rowling when Sorcerer's Stone came out, the big blowouts in the bookstore wouldn't have been till around the 3rd or 4th books.

• Love 11
53 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

They showed the first Harry Potter book being released. It wouldn't have been a big thing at that point. No one knew Harry Potter or JK Rowling when Sorcerer's Stone came out, the big blowouts in the bookstore wouldn't have been till around the 3rd or 4th books.

Exactly what I was thinking! I don't remember the books getting that big until the 4th one, but I was adult at the time and they weren't on my radar. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

This!  I graduated high school in 2000 and while I knew about the Harry Potter series (my mother, who was a teacher, and my brother read them), it certainly wasn't the all consuming thing it became after the films came out.  The books were always released around my mom's birthday so that's what we would get her for a gift and I think the first one we had to stand in line for was the 4th one, which came out in the summer of 2000.  People definitely were not lined up to get a copy of the first Harry Potter book.  That was a 2000s thing, not a 90s thing.  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Love 3

So, can we just join Jessica in forgetting the book thing ever happened? 

I am really going to miss Nicole, she and Eddie had such a sweet friendship. 

At first I thought it was weird that both this and Speechless both did 90s sitcom credit parody's, and cameo's from 90s sitcom stars, and then I remembered that both of the shows are a part of this new TGIF they are putting together, and that they have been doing call backs to the 90s line up in the commercials. I then smacked myself on the head for not putting that one together earlier. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

At first I thought it was weird that both this and Speechless both did 90s sitcom credit parody's, and cameo's from 90s sitcom stars, and then I remembered that both of the shows are a part of this new TGIF they are putting together, and that they have been doing call backs to the 90s line up in the commercials. I then smacked myself on the head for not putting that one together earlier. 

I liked the TGIF sitcom themes.  There was also some other common theme I noticed, but I forgot what it was.  Anyone remember?  I'll come back and edit if I get a chance to rewatch.

• Love 1

The third one came out when I was in college and it was sold out everywhere.  There was a big story on it on one of the news programs and one of my professors was interviewed in the paper about metaphorically elbowing out children with his reserved copy.  I can't remember which of those two things I saw first but the day it came out went to sams club to get the books.  The had loads of copies of the first two books in anticipation of the third but the third was sold out.  Went  a smaller bookshop and got the 3rd and read them over a few days right after they came out.   So the books were a thing by the third book, but there wasn't the camping out book stores open until midnight thing until the 4th.   

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I liked the TGIF sitcom themes.  There was also some other common theme I noticed, but I forgot what it was.  Anyone remember?  I'll come back and edit if I get a chance to rewatch.

Cameos of former TGIF stars? One show had Jaleel White and the other had Ben Savage.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:46 AM, tennisgurl said:

On 10/9/2018 at 5:41 PM, SoMuchTV said:

On 10/9/2018 at 9:49 PM, vibeology said:

Cameos of former TGIF stars? One show had Jaleel White and the other had Ben Savage.

I remember now - Harry Potter references!

• Love 1

Loved Kareem Abdul-Jabbar bitching about Shaq copying him and all of the TGIF references. The Full House credits totally cracked me up.

I will miss Nicole because her friendship with Eddie was great. It was crazy to see how young/small Eddie was in the earlier seasons when they did the flashback montage.

• Love 5
On 10/13/2018 at 1:20 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The Full House credits totally cracked me up.

It was funny but I was really hoping for a Family Matters opening instead considering Jaleel White was on. Plus it seems like everyone has done a parody of Full House already. 

+1 to the death of Jessica's book storyline. 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:41 PM, mtlchick said:

Quick thoughts:

-I laughed loudly at the Kazaam/Shazam joke

-It seems they muted Jessica's accent more. 

-URKEL!

Decent start to the season, but I am going to miss Nicole. 

jessica definitely sounds different. she looks different too.