Type keyword(s) to search

AGT The Champions: Media & Speculation

• Start Topic

From NBC:

This new spin-off features the most incredible and memorable acts from previous seasons ready to wow America all over again. In "America's Got Talent: The Champions," these top former contestants will return to the stage and compete in the hopes of taking home the first-ever winter title of AGT Champion. But that's not all - favorites from other global "Got Talent" franchises, spanning 184 countries, will also join the fray, showing off their skills for a whole new audience.

Summing up the discussion from the season 13 finale:

• Simon and Howie both talked to Access about how the show is about to film soon (this Thursday).
  • Simon also told Access that he asked the other producers to surprise him with the participating contestants.
  • Mel B. initially signed on this summer but has since announced her plans to enter in-patient therapy - her participation is unconfirmed.
  • Non-winners from various Got Talent franchises are expected to compete; @Amy Beth mentioned a media piece about Susan Boyle.
  • There will be seven audience shows, from September 27th to October 17th, with episodes to be broadcast sometime this winter.

edited to add: Entertainment Tonight is now reporting that Mel B. is in outpatient, not in-patient therapy. (shrug)

Edited by halopub
added clarification
On 9/27/2018 at 7:24 PM, anthonyd46 said:

Looks like all four judges will be there.

If it's seriously just those 7 episodes I wonder how the voting works since none is live.

I wish they would get rid of Mel B - she is awful!

On 9/27/2018 at 3:48 PM, mortonsalt said:

Can NBC please make him the host of the regular edition of America's Got Talent? 
Terry Crews to Host NBC's 'America's Got Talent: The Champions'

Yes please - Tyra still thinks she is a "super model" and she is a terrible host!

• Love 3

Some leaks are starting to come out. If true this show sounds pretty bad.

There will be 5 auditions total. Each audition will contain 10 acts, with only two going through. There is one golden buzzer per episode, so four judges plus one host result in five golden buzzers for each of the five episodes. The two that go through are one golden buzzer, and one act that “AGT Superfans” from all fifty states have decided to put through. The voting is done by AGT "superfans" a group of people chosen by the producers to vote. (If this isn't going to be live shows and America voting whats the point?)

After the acts finished performing, 9 acts are called to the stage. The acts are called up in pairs of 3's and only 1 act makes it to the top 3. The top 3 had the most votes in the episode "from the superfans." They then make it a top 2, and after that the winner of the fan vote is announced. 

Semi Final will have the Fan vote choice from each show and I guess 5 wildcards?

Final no clue (Golden buzzers are automatically sent to finals)

Edited by anthonyd46

@Readalot, I've been out of the thread for awhile - I hope everything turned out ok with your dad.

The show has released a list with half of the contestants. I'm feeling meh about much of the list so far, but there's good news for @Happy Belly. The show starts airing January 7th.

• Darci Lynne Farmer, ventriloquist (America’s Got Talent 2017 winner)

• Paul Potts, opera singer (Britain’s Got Talent 2007 winner)

• Shin Lim, magician (America’s Got Talent 2018 winner)

• Kseniya Simonova, sand artist (Ukraine’s Got Talent 2009 winner)

• DJ Arch Jnr, “Kid DJ” (South Africa’s Got Talent 2015 winner)

• Paul Zerdin, ventriloquist (America’s Got Talent 2015 winner)

• Attraction, shadow dance group (Britain’s Got Talent 2013 winner)

• Justice Crew, dance/singing group – (Australia’s Got Talent 2010 winner)

• Moonlight Brothers, dancing group (Denmark’s Got Talent 2018 winner)

• Susan Boyle, singer (Britain’s Got Talent 2009 runner-up)

• Piff the Magic Dragon, comedian/magician (America’s Got Talent 2015 finalist)

• Sofie Dossi – contortionist/hand balancing (America’s Got Talent 2016 finalist)

• Kechi, singer (America’s Got Talent 2017 – finalist)

• Issy Simpson, kid magician (Britain’s Got Talent 2017 runner-up)

• Light Balance, LED dance group (America’s Got Talent 2017 finalist)

• Prince Poppycock, opera singer (America’s Got Talent 2010 finalist)

• DDF Crew, jump ropers (Holland’s Got Talent 2012 winner and Belgium’s Got Talent 2016 finalist)

• The Texas Tenors, opera singers (America’s Got Talent 2009 finalist)

• Tom Cotter, stand-up comic (America’s Got Talent 2012 runner-up)

• Taylor Williamson, stand-up comic (America’s Got Talent 2012 runner-up)

• Tape Face, comedic mime (America’s Got Talent 2016 finalist)

• Billy and Emily England, danger roller skaters (America’s Got Talent 2017 finalist)

• Sara & Hero, dog act (America’s Got Talent 2017 finalist)

• Deadly Games, danger knife throwers (America’s Got Talent 2016 finalist)

• Uzeyer Novruzov, ladder balancer (America’s Got Talent 2010 finalist)

• Love 1

Thanks, Halopub!   (I was going to post that I saw the same list on USA Today, but you got here first.)

Why does a "Champions" show need golden buzzers?  Beyond, of course, why on earth we need them at all.

I like many of these contestants, and at least they went for more than just singers, dancers, and singers who dance.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2018 at 3:46 PM, halopub said:

@Readalot, I've been out of the thread for awhile - I hope everything turned out ok with your dad.

The show has released a list with half of the contestants. I'm feeling meh about much of the list so far, but there's good news for @Happy Belly. The show starts airing January 7th.

• Sofie Dossi – contortionist/hand balancing (America’s Got Talent 2016 finalist)

• DDF Crew, jump ropers (Holland’s Got Talent 2012 winner and Belgium’s Got Talent 2016 finalist)

• Billy and Emily England, danger roller skaters (America’s Got Talent 2017 finalist)

Thank you. Chemo complications. :-(

Wikipedia has posted an unconfirmed list of contestants, adding:

• Musicians/singers: Angelica Hale, Courtney Hadwin, Bianca Ryan, Jackie Evancho, Brian Justin Crum, Sal Valentinetti, Cristina Ramos (Spain), Sons of Serendip
  • Magicians: Darcy Oake (Britain)
  • Comedians: Drew Lynch, Preacher Lawson, Samuel J. Comroe, Lost Voice Guy (Britain)
  • Mentalists: The Clairvoyants, Colin Cloud
  • Dancers: Kenichi Ebina, Viktor Kee
  • Danger/balancing acts: The Professional Regurgitator, Alexandr Magala, Ryan & Amber
  • Dogs: Ashleigh & Sully (Britain, previously Pudsey)

I'm too lazy to check all the Wikipedia sourcing, but Kenichi was in the official promo. Unconfirmed Reddit reports also include magician/retired NFLer Jon Dorenbos, musician Tokio Myers (Britain) and illusionist Cosentino (Australia). I think I also saw Vicki Barbolak's name floating around somewhere, which would make 50 people.

If accurate, then both Mat Franco and Grace VanderWaal did not compete.

I'm feeling even more meh about this whole competition after seeing the list of contestants but hopefully Piff can cut some of the saccharine with his grumpiness.

• Love 1

Glad we get to see another performance of Tokio Myers. He won Britain's Got Talent and only performed a total of 3 times. 

Interesting to see Bianca Ryan, the very first winner of AGT. She was 11, now she is 23. 

As long as we remember to NOT take this show seriously, that the outcome is pre-determined, it should be interesting. At least it's 'officially' veterans from other got-talents instead of a show filled with veterans of other got-talents that we're not supposed to/are not expected to recognize. Tokio was AMAZEBALLS and I look forward to seeing him again. 

I wonder who they have it set up for to win? Should be able to tell in the first or second episode.

3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Hmm. My dvr is showing an AGT sneak peek at 1:45am Saturday

Wonder if that is the Christmas show that was  on Monday night? It had old acts on with a Christmas theme...new show because the new host was acting as tho' he was reading us a Christmas story while introducing the acts? I have now seen Piff the Dragon and other acts I have only heard of since I just starting watching AGT.

My TV listings show the Christmas show being rerun on Friday and a sneak peek for overnight Saturday. (shrug)

It was interesting to see both Terry Fator and Mat Franco get included in the holiday special. I didn't pay close attention but I think everyone else were already there as part of the Champions taping.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:08 PM, hnygrl said:

As long as we remember to NOT take this show seriously, that the outcome is pre-determined, it should be interesting. At least it's 'officially' veterans from other got-talents instead of a show filled with veterans of other got-talents that we're not supposed to/are not expected to recognize. Tokio was AMAZEBALLS and I look forward to seeing him again. 

I wonder who they have it set up for to win? Should be able to tell in the first or second episode.

My guess would be Darci Lynne. Lots of positive support without an equally passionate group of detractors. Her direct competition in the Champions edition is Paul Zerdin, not Terry Fator. Plus the only AGT competitor who might be as well liked, Mat Franco, is not participating.

Storywise I could also see Shin Lim, Susan Boyle and Lost Voice guy going to the end. 

• Love 1

Right??? If Tokio is on this season (I hope he's not. I hope he's way too busy making millions to do this show)? It's a wrap for anybody else. They may as well just GIVE him the money right now.

Check out his other performances on YouTube. Dang...he's one of a kind and ridiculously amazing.

• Love 1

Tokio Myers’ participation has been confirmed.

I’m not disputing Tokio’s musicianship and performance skills but I don’t see the AGT producers manipulating a win for him. I could see a storyline where he’s a refreshing revelation for the “super fans” and gets voted to the last round, ultimately losing to a sentimental favorite/sob story or a popular US winner.

The christmas special was mostly a bore, but it was nice seeing a few acts return. Always get a kick out of the regurgitator. 

Looking forward to seeing Tokio since he only did 3 performances on BGT.  

Since this is all going to be what one would consider "good" acts, is there any point to the buzzers for this champions season? 

I am soooo jazzed that my Prince is returning!  

One thing that might get overlooked is that TPTB will have had weeks and weeks to prepare for the first performances.  The production values for the initial performances should be excellent.  So, too, the performances themselves.  It won't be like many Finals where the act has worn thin and freshness and wonder abate.   

It's gonna be interesting to see how well Terry Crews does as host.  He did a fine job on the Christmas Special, but that was live-to-tape.  Fine by me if this means no more Tyra.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2018 at 3:48 PM, mortonsalt said:

Can NBC please make him the host of the regular edition of America's Got Talent? 
Terry Crews to Host NBC's 'America's Got Talent: The Champions'

I'm happy he's the host but wondering why Tyra is not doing it.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:32 AM, jlc said:

I wish they would get rid of Mel B - she is awful!

Yes please - Tyra still thinks she is a "super model" and she is a terrible host!

I can deal with Tyra at least. Mel is so annoying.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:49 AM, anthonyd46 said:

Some leaks are starting to come out. If true this show sounds pretty bad.

There will be 5 auditions total. Each audition will contain 10 acts, with only two going through. There is one golden buzzer per episode, so four judges plus one host result in five golden buzzers for each of the five episodes. The two that go through are one golden buzzer, and one act that “AGT Superfans” from all fifty states have decided to put through. The voting is done by AGT "superfans" a group of people chosen by the producers to vote. (If this isn't going to be live shows and America voting whats the point?)

After the acts finished performing, 9 acts are called to the stage. The acts are called up in pairs of 3's and only 1 act makes it to the top 3. The top 3 had the most votes in the episode "from the superfans." They then make it a top 2, and after that the winner of the fan vote is announced. 

Semi Final will have the Fan vote choice from each show and I guess 5 wildcards?

Final no clue (Golden buzzers are automatically sent to finals)

Thanks for posting this information.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:46 PM, halopub said:

It will be nice to see some old favorites, some people who should have gone further and talent that is new to us. Should be fun. Thanks for posting!!

On 12/19/2018 at 1:59 PM, halopub said:

My TV listings show the Christmas show being rerun on Friday and a sneak peek for overnight Saturday. (shrug)

It was interesting to see both Terry Fator and Mat Franco get included in the holiday special. I didn't pay close attention but I think everyone else were already there as part of the Champions taping.

My guess would be Darci Lynne. Lots of positive support without an equally passionate group of detractors. Her direct competition in the Champions edition is Paul Zerdin, not Terry Fator. Plus the only AGT competitor who might be as well liked, Mat Franco, is not participating.

Storywise I could also see Shin Lim, Susan Boyle and Lost Voice guy going to the end. 

I know this is not related, but I saw Terry Fator live and he was great.

• Love 2

Thank you Booklady 1017. I am alreadt for Monday’s show and my beloved Prince Poppycock. After he appeared in 2010, he put some stuff up for auction on eBay. I bid and I won one of the items. I am the proud owner of the sparkly red shoes (he called them his “sick, red shoes” he wore with his performance of Le Donna e Mobile (at least thats what the video on you tube called it). They are safe and sound in my closet. Maybe I should break them out so they can see their former owner on Monday? lol

Edited by Happy Belly
  • Love 3
On 1/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, Booklady1017 said:

I know this is not related, but I saw Terry Fator live and he was great.

We were in Las Vegas in November and I tried SO HARD to convince the people I was with to go and no one wanted to.  I was very disappointed.  :(  

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

We were in Las Vegas in November and I tried SO HARD to convince the people I was with to go and no one wanted to.  I was very disappointed.  :(  

Really? So did you end up seeing him? As for the others, that's their loss!!

On 1/5/2019 at 11:34 PM, Happy Belly said:

Thank you Booklady 1017. I am alreadt for Monday’s show and my beloved Prince Poppycock. After he appeared in 2010, he put some stuff up for auction on eBay. I bid and I won one of the items. I am the proud owner of the sparkly red shoes (he called them his “sick, red shoes” he wore with his performance of Le Donna e Mobile (at least thats what the video on you tube called it). They are safe and sound in my closet. Maybe I should break them out so they can see their former owner on Monday? lol

LOL. I didn't see that season. That's cool!

On 1/6/2019 at 4:42 PM, marketdoctor said:

Tvguide.com's description confirmed the Golden Buzzer.

Also, thanks Booklady1017 and congratulations Happy Belly! 

You are welcome!

So from what I've read Mat Franco, Grace, and Terry Fator are not on this thing. I'm not a fan of Grace, but I know a lot are and IMO Terry and Mat are the two best to ever win (AGT) so if you aren't competing against them how can you call yourself the best ever? Both of them have huge shows in vegas for years now they should wipe the floor with the rest of these acts. I'm sure Grace would do very well also. However, who the hell knows what these superfans even are and how rigged it makes the show.

Edited by anthonyd46
On 1/8/2019 at 4:21 PM, anthonyd46 said:

So from what I've read Mat Franco, Grace, and Terry Fator are not on this thing. I'm not a fan of Grace, but I know a lot are and IMO Terry and Mat are the two best to ever win (AGT) so if you aren't competing against them how can you call yourself the best ever? Both of them have huge shows in vegas for years now they should wipe the floor with the rest of these acts. I'm sure Grace would do very well also. However, who the hell knows what these superfans even are and how rigged it makes the show.

Grace was filming a movie for Disney last fall and most likely wasn't available.