Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Truck Stop

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

From the finale episode thread, re Food Truck Faceoff

If I recall correctly, there was a pilot show for this a while back.  And these people have never been on a food truck before.  I watched the first episode, and if you don't like the Great Food Truck Race you'll never like this show.  I looked for a thread, but I don't think it deserves one.

Oh, host?  Please lose the fucking airhorn.

That was pretty wretched and I agree it's not worth making its own thread for because there's not that much to say, but on the positive side it didn't have Tyler, and perhaps because of unfamiliarity this new guy didn't seem so bad yet.  And then they're not even giving them the damn truck, despite every advertisement pushing this - it was said just once and swallowed so fast you could miss it, but they're "giving" them the truck for a year.  Paying the taxes on the cash value of a year's lease on a truck won't be quite as burdensome for these losers when their "business" tanks as paying the taxes on the truck itself would have been, but they also can't sell the truck to do it. So it's really rolling Food Court Wars, and of course that had Tyler too so the circle is complete.  I guess they've written off the trucks they bought for the FTR by now and somebody around the vagina table pitched this as a possible use for them, and got a nice Florida vacation out of it.  And now we know what failed Hell's Kitchen contestants do when their voice recovers, they open food trucks.  I hope it's working out for her, TV's not gonna.

• Love 1

And now we know what failed Hell's Kitchen contestants do when their voice recovers, they open food trucks.

I agree with your comments.  Who does that refer to?  Just curious.

From the finale episode thread, re Food Truck Faceoff

That was pretty wretched and I agree it's not worth making its own thread for because there's not that much to say, but on the positive side it didn't have Tyler, and perhaps because of unfamiliarity this new guy didn't seem so bad yet.  And then they're not even giving them the damn truck, despite every advertisement pushing this - it was said just once and swallowed so fast you could miss it, but they're "giving" them the truck for a year.  Paying the taxes on the cash value of a year's lease on a truck won't be quite as burdensome for these losers when their "business" tanks as paying the taxes on the truck itself would have been, but they also can't sell the truck to do it. So it's really rolling Food Court Wars, and of course that had Tyler too so the circle is complete.  I guess they've written off the trucks they bought for the FTR by now and somebody around the vagina table pitched this as a possible use for them, and got a nice Florida vacation out of it.  And now we know what failed Hell's Kitchen contestants do when their voice recovers, they open food trucks.  I hope it's working out for her, TV's not gonna.

I watched, & missed the fact that they're only giving them the truck for a year. They shouldn't be allowed to say they "give" the truck away, they should have to say they "loan" it for a year. And what really killed me is that the trucks are obviously used & not in that great condition. This episode one team lost power, & then they had some kind of problem under the hood, so it wasn't even a good food truck. The format of the show reminds me of Supermarket Superstar on Lifetime. 

The new show only gives them use of the truck. Lease for a year. One team only made $265 one day

After the cost of food licience gas and lot rent ... I wouldn't get out of bed

We should probably keep chitchat about that other show here in Small Talk since it doesn't really concern GFTR.  They did make only $265 in one day but they also only sold for two hours each day.  They show them going into some megalomart to buy their food, but they never said how much they had to spend or factored the cost of the food into the equation - on the second show one team was serving steak salad bowls and the other sweet potato wraps, so the gross receipts don't really tell the whole story.

It seems like every season people start talking about the inflated costs, and while I do expect the nature of the competition to impact price points (including extras being paid to attend), I wonder how old understandings of food trucks influence current reactions.

For comparison, when higher quality box wines were coming out, I remember reading the struggle marketers were having with it because people associated boxes with really bad quality. The packaging is actually far better at maintaining quality when a container won't be emptied in one sitting, but it was hard to get people to accept that. I can't quite remember if restaurants were early adopters because it was great for house wines so they wouldn't lose product or if they were nervous about customer reactions.

So I'm wondering how much of the roach coach mentality is kicking in for people who don't have experience with food trucks.

It seems like every season people start talking about the inflated costs, and while I do expect the nature of the competition to impact price points (including extras being paid to attend), I wonder how old understandings of food trucks influence current reactions.

For comparison, when higher quality box wines were coming out, I remember reading the struggle marketers were having with it because people associated boxes with really bad quality. The packaging is actually far better at maintaining quality when a container won't be emptied in one sitting, but it was hard to get people to accept that. I can't quite remember if restaurants were early adopters because it was great for house wines so they wouldn't lose product or if they were nervous about customer reactions.

So I'm wondering how much of the roach coach mentality is kicking in for people who don't have experience with food trucks.

Eh, I do have a fair amount of experience with food trucks (went to college/grad school in big cities where we had a large food truck "population" nearby) and I still boggle at the prices being charged by the trucks on this show. For a $15 hamburger it better be as good as the high end burger I can get - with fancy fixings like duck fat fries - at a local gastropub. Plus I'm not even getting sit-down wait service, have to stand in line outside, and can't get a nice cold brew to enjoy with it. Something is missing in the equation for me.

Especially as just this weekend I was at a big music festival at a concert venue. There were a couple food trucks parked inside the open air area of the venue, which I'm sure they had to pay a fortune to rent out the space. And they were selling great food cheaper ($12 for a loaded pork bahn mi pita, for instance) than the official concession stands. Outside special events their prices are more in the $6-8 range, which is more in line for what I'm willing to pay for a truck food meal unless it's something exceedingly special.

• Love 1

Oh I completely agree that the $15 pricepoint should have fancy fixings.  (And you've made me wonder if Portland, Oregon's food cart pods have breweries nearby where people can carry their food and get a cold brew!)  I just struggle with the complaint about a $10 burger since I'm used to spending close to that anyways for a not-great product.  Sure there are fries, but Applebees burgers are over $10 here now, for example.  I'd much rather support a local business than Applebees, especially at comparable prices.

Mostly I'm wondering if people are truly comparing local restaurant prices before reacting or not.  I know I sometimes realize prices have gone way up without me noticing.  Bill comes, card goes in the envelope, tada.  

Now if the food trucks are serving tapas portions with full entree prices, that's a totally different story. 

Nasty, nasty eggs!  I'm ready for eggs to stop being the trendy addition to things that would otherwise taste good.

A friend of mine was planning on raising ducks instead of chickens for eggs.  They quickly learned her husband has an allergic reaction to duck eggs.  Oops.

Does anyone know what the local trucks think about the roadshow rolling in? 

It would seem that  with the combination of social media/Chamber of Commerce/word of mouth that accompanies the show, local trucks are screwed for the couple of days the show is in town. But, on the other hand, maybe it raises the profile of the food truck scene. 

• Love 2

While I love Nutella, Jif makes a cheaper version of chocolate hazelnut spread that is just as delicious. They also make a salted caramel chocolate thing that I eat with a spoon. And nothing else. Who needs a cookie or a waffle?

Biscotti spread is also to die for. I can easily graze in that section of the store and forget fruits and vegetables.

• Love 1

Food Network has a quiz to determine what type of food truck you would have: My results: 

Result: BBQ Truck

SHARE YOUR RESULT

You want to prove that you don’t have to have a smoker in the back to make good barbecue, so you’re serving it up on the go. All about quality meats, you’ll definitely need a pitmaster with some serious skills to churn out the goods in such a small space. But if you can wow your customers with tender brisket and homemade cornbread, soon enough you’ll have a crowd lining up down the block. Watch The Great Food Truck Race on Sundays at 9|8c

Take the quiz yourself Which Food Truck Concept are You  

Result: Asian Fusion Truck

You’re all about interesting crossover cuisine, and your customers are always ready for something unexpected. Whether you’re doing Southern-inspired Thai or your own take on ramen, there is no shortage of creativity in your truck. Yours is the type of place that has a “no substitutions” sign hanging proudly below the menu to let people know you’ve carefully crafted each of your specialties. Watch The Great Food Truck Race on Sundays at 9|8c.

Result: Pizza Truck

You’re all about the grab-and-go experience, and nothing says portable quite like a slice of pizza. Whether you’re a fan of the classics like white pizza and meat lovers' or want something a little more refined, the menu possibilities are endless. If you can put it on a freshly baked crust, you can serve it from your curbside eatery. Watch The Great Food Truck Race on Sundays at 9|8c.

The link is not working.  Damn, I wanted to read them!  I do know that I would NEVER vote for pizza or BBQ, you can find that on street corners everywhere, it is not unique and I seek food trucks for something innovative.  Asian fusion is good.  I don't know all the choices, though.  

The first season of this show was excellent and never to be repeated, unfortunately.   If you missed it, look for it online.  Real food trucks owned by the particiants went from city to city to compete.  

It has become nonsense now with a horrible host.  Tyler is boring and is not a chef though he poses as one.  

2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

The link is not working.  Damn, I wanted to read them!  I do know that I would NEVER vote for pizza or BBQ, you can find that on street corners everywhere, it is not unique and I seek food trucks for something innovative.  Asian fusion is good.  I don't know all the choices, though.  

The first season of this show was excellent and never to be repeated, unfortunately.   If you missed it, look for it online.  Real food trucks owned by the particiants went from city to city to compete.  

It has become nonsense now with a horrible host.  Tyler is boring and is not a chef though he poses as one.  

It's not a vote thing but more of a multiple choice what-would-you-eat-when kind of thing. For instance, your pantry is empty... It's fun.

Maybe this link will work but I did get the other one to work.

Italian Comfort-Food Truck

You want to let people know that you don’t have to sit down at a restaurant to get some quality comfort food. And what’s more comforting than classic Italian? Just cover everything with Nonna’s top-secret red sauce — you can’t go wrong

It actually makes sense for me since my go to when I don't really feel like cooking is pasta with whatever random vegetables I have in the fridge.

12 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

It's not a vote thing but more of a multiple choice what-would-you-eat-when kind of thing. For instance, your pantry is empty... It's fun.

Maybe this link will work but I did get the other one to work.

Yes it worked.  Thanks.  My result was Chicken and Waffles, something I am NOT drawn to at all!  EVER!  Too heavy. 

12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Tyler attended and graduated from culinary school. That makes him a chef in my book.

I am aware.  That title holds more than a certificate from a culinary school, for me. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I didn't like any of the Spend a Day with Tyler options.  Where were:

Ask Ted Allen to hookup him up with Kyan for shaving tips

Spend an hour in the sack then kick him out (let's keep the combo to a minimum,  please)

Take him to a doctor to see about that head bobbing tick

Or "take him to a barber to scrape the barnacles off his chin".

It was a stupid quiz which led me to serving pizza which I would never do.  My actual food truck dream involves coffee (where the product is so unimportant that you can just throw out whatever you don't sell without taking a monetary hit), accompanied with presealed pastries from Costco that I mark up to ten to twenty times cost for the captive audience.  Thus avoiding the permit restrictions involved with cooking anything.

• Love 1

Result: Chicken and Waffles Truck

You’re all about the sweet and savory combo that has taken over brunch menus everywhere. There’s no telling what you’ll do to make the specialty unique (fried chicken sandwich with a waffle bun, maybe?), but you’ll definitely want to keep the oil hot for the corner crowd.

This is funny because I've never had chicken and waffles.  I would do cupcakes/whoopee pies IRL.

I came across this YouTube video earlier. One of the cheating scandals was on this show, and I don't remember it at all, but thought I would post it in case any of you did. If I didn't load it correctly, the scene starts at 4:55

15 hours ago, Christina said:

I came across this YouTube video earlier. One of the cheating scandals was on this show, and I don't remember it at all, but thought I would post it in case any of you did. If I didn't load it correctly, the scene starts at 4:55

Yeah I remember that and I don’t buy their story of partnering with another business as they would’ve said that on the show.

I used to watch The Price Is Right every day, and tried to get on the show several times. I had also memorized the prices of some of the more unique products they had on the show. If you have a good memory, it’s not that hard. The Corelli Globe Bar was always $560.