Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Who Ya Gonna Call?

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I was really enjoying watching the previous week's episode before the new one. (Especially after having read all y'all's comments here—so much to look for on rewatch.) But now RuPaul's Drag Race and Bates Motel are on Mondays at 9.

What season is Bates Motel on? I wanted to watch, but I'm always behind on shows, so I never started. It's good, I take it?

Season 3 just started on A&E—followed by a brand-new show at 10, The Returned (opposite Better Call Saul). Bates Motel is a prequel to the Psycho movies, set in present-day Pacific Northwest. No one in the forums ever complains about spoilers—and I only saw the first film a few months ago. (Just saw Jaws—but I've seen clips from both films a bazillion times, so I guess everybody's spoiled at this point.)

Noman is played by Engish actor Freddie Highmore—but his accent rarely slips. Vera Farmiga plays Norma.

Edited by editorgrrl

Bates Motel is awesome, and the seasons are short, so catching up isn't a big deal. And like editorgrrl said, last night was the first episode of the 3d season, so it's a good time to do so. They just reran the whole series last weekend--not sure if they'll do that again soon.

• Love 1

Watch Pre-'SNL' Chris Farley and Bob Odenkirk Do 'Matt Foley' in 1990

Just two weeks after Rolling Stone declared "Matt Foley: Motivational Speaker" the greatest Saturday Night Live sketch of all time, Chicago's esteemed Second City unearthed a fantastic performance from 1990 starring the sketch's co-writers Bob Odenkirk and a 26-year-old Chris Farley, who had just been announced as one of SNL's newest cast members.

http://youtu.be/AFVsRmgB-5M Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

A. Since Bob Odenkirk was a staff writer for SNL 1987–95, it'd be great if Lorne Michaels would let him host an episode. And of course, they'd have to do a Better Call Saul sketch. Michael McKean, an SNL castmember 1994–5, could even cameo as Chuck. Kate McKinnon'd make a great Kim Wexler. But who'd play Mike?

B. Someone just asked me if I'm concerned about the EMF exposure from wearing a Fitbit activity tracker every day. My second thought (after "Srsly?") was "Oh, no. Another Chuck!"

• Love 1

He was also Marshall's boss at Goliath (How I Met Your Mother). He's also won 2 Emmys for comedy writing.

(And if memory serves, Bryan Cranston was Ted's boss.)

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2

We have an attorney in Baltimore that has been making Saulesque commercials for years.

His name is Barry R Glazer and he has developed a creepy tag-line for his commercials, "The urinated upon"

Here is one of his pre-urinated upon commercials

http://youtu.be/jFU91XBdLpc

And here is the first "urinated upon" commercial

http://youtu.be/F5yDMTA5J9o

This last one with the little kid is where it get's creepy, it reminds me of Chandler's toilet buddy.

http://youtu.be/mo1RZtesFjQ

Would love to see any funny or strange lawyer commercials from around the country.

• Love 2

Mel Rodriguez, who played Slippin' Jimmy's no-name partner in crime in the flashback cold open of "Hero" (the guy who sang "butt, butthole" to the riff from "Smoke on the Water") plays Todd on Will Forte's sitcom "The Last Man on Earth."

Edited to add he's also Patsy on the American version of Getting On.

Edited by editorgrrl
(edited)

• Rusty Nails with juice from a squeezy plastic lemon

• danishes

• homemade salsa

• nachos

• Jell-O

• Hydrox

• gin, tequila, and good Kentucky bourbon

• bacon, eggs, and steak

How could I forget an Edible Arrangement—heavy on the pineapple?

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 5
(edited)

What will you serve at your Better Call Saul finale party?

What about party games?

• put the shredded documents back together
  • remove salsa stains with seltzer
Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3
(edited)

Sorry for the double post, but this is breaking news: Bob Odenkirk & David Cross Sketch Comedy Gets Netflix Series Order

Frequent collaborators and longtime friends Bob Odenkirk and David Cross have teamed for a new sketch comedy series, With Bob and David, which has been picked up by Netflix. The streaming service has ordered four half-hour episodes and one hourlong “making-of” special from the project, which has just started production.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2
(edited)

Today from 6 to 10 p.m., MeTV is showing "Vince Gilligan's Island," a block of programming selected by VG. The bumpers feature VG and Bob Odenkirk—who looks quite different without a hairpiece. The grey hair makes his eyes look even bluer.

Updated: The link now has videos plus an interview with VG.

On Sunday, April 5, MeTV broadcasted Vince Gilligan’s Island of MeTV. The visionary behind hit contemporary series 'Breaking Bad' and co-creator of new series 'Better Call Saul,' Vince Gilligan is not only one of the biggest names in Hollywood—he also is a huge fan of MeTV! We invited Vince to pick some of his favorite MeTV shows and host a special night for both his fans and ours. For this original MeTV event, Vince had picked episodes from the MeTV library featuring directors, writers and others who have influenced his own work. Joining Vince was 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' star Bob Odenkirk; the two shared stories and laughs about the shows that have inspired the work they create today.
Edited by editorgrrl

Does anybody else remember those Baltimore-area commercials for Barry Glazer, Attorney at Law? His slogan is "don't urinate on my leg and tell me it's raining!"

Anyway, Saul Goodman always reminded me SO MUCH of Barry Glazer, so I went back just now and watched some of Glazer's old commercials. Definitely worth watching!

Here's one with the famous tagline:

Here's another good one -- I like the end:

• Love 3
(edited)

@ShadowFacts (b/c the quote button isn't working right)

Advocate for the urinated-upon.  In it for vengeance.  Don't we all need one of those?

Oh yeah, Barry Glazer loves his taglines.

The ones about scummy doctors are pretty good, too:

If they don't treat, they don't eat!

Infections would go away, if we made them pay!

Edited by rue721
13 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Actually they are but people like to pretend they aren't.  

I know, I know, the american conservative opinion, science is all just guesswork. Twenty miles tall piles of evidence don't matter. 2 + 2 = 6 is right if my favorite book of fairy tales says it is. But this is off topic and going to get real ugly, real fast. I won't comment on this issue again. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Pet peeve, but sex and gender are not the same thing.

What do you mean by this? Sincerely asking. I was recently doing some research for a piece of fiction, and discovered that Medical Examiner report forms in my state use the word 'sex', when I expected to see the word 'gender'. Needless to say I don't interact with this kind of form much, and I was surprised. Possibly have an informational blind spot here. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, kieyra said:

What do you mean by this? Sincerely asking. I was recently doing some research for a piece of fiction, and discovered that Medical Examiner report forms in my state use the word 'sex', when I expected to see the word 'gender'. Needless to say I don't interact with this kind of form much, and I was surprised. Possibly have an informational blind spot here. 

Sex is the body parts. Gender is how you live your life. For example, sometimes people are born with body parts which aren't well defined. In the past doctors would operate and make the person look female. The person has been taught all of their life that they are a woman. They live and think like a woman. Their birth certificate says they are a woman. But the dna of the person and the internal body parts are still male.

Sometimes these people identify as a man their entire life, ever since they can remember. Even though everyone is telling them, they are a woman.

Other times they live as a woman their entire life but because their DNA say's they are a man, they are told when they are in their teens or twenties or sometimes older, nope you're a man and must live like that from now on. That has happened to several olympic athletes. 

Other times people just know that they are a different gender from the time they are small children than they were assigned at birth. This is not an mental illness. It is something that just happens and always has. So their sex may be female and their gender male, or the reverse. 

Once again. Off topic. 

• Love 6

Miriam Webster still lists it's number one definition of gender as "sex."  The second definition is,  "the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex."

I get that the language changes all the time and it may be leaning toward #2 as the only definition, but as long as the top definition is "sex," I think people should be able to ask, "What gender is the corpse?" or "What gender is the baby?" without being considered wrong. 

• Love 4

My daughter completed all of her degree requirements last semester, and is staying in college a little longer to be better prepared for graduate school.  She loves chemistry, especially inorganic chemistry. 

Math, however, is her weakness, and she frequently calls me for help.  Like she did at 10pm on Sunday night, despite my specific instructions that she not call so I could watch BCS.  And also like she did on Monday night.  I have yet to watch the first two episodes of season 5.  At this rate I am going to have to wait until the DVD set becomes available.  This is particularly bothersome because I have had to lurk on the episode threads and the discussions have gotten quite interesting.

Edited by PeterPirate
On 6/8/2017 at 5:14 PM, kieyra said:

{snipped} Medical Examiner report forms in my state use the word 'sex', when I expected to see the word 'gender'. Needless to say I don't interact with this kind of form much, and I was surprised. Possibly have an informational blind spot here. 

Heh. In the olden days, when my ex was filling out a form and came to the line/box for Sex he would always write Yes.

DMV, doctor's office, it didn't matter where - it was always Yes. 

• LOL 2

Quick question - did they drop the series all at once or is it an episode a week?  I was watching something else at the time and just finished it.  Didn't get a chance to check the BCS drop.  Will probably do that tomorrow night. 

On 2/26/2020 at 2:14 PM, JudyObscure said:

I watch BCS on my computer at the AMC site.  No charge.

My daughter, who is at college 400 miles away and who doesn't watch the show until it gets onto Netflix, went to the AMC website, and then asked me how much I had to pay to watch it.  Because, she said, she could watch the first episode for free, but was being offered a 50% discount to watch the second one.  

Edited by PeterPirate