Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Who Ya Gonna Call?

• Start Topic

Okay, I'll say it here:  two shows I watch (this one, and, I'll admit it, Manifest) featured weddings last night, just an hour or 2 after I attended my daughter's wedding via Facetime.  (Reception followed via Zoom, BYOB.)  Big night!  Yay for 3/30 anniversaries, even if that wasn't plan A.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I'll say it here:  two shows I watch (this one, and, I'll admit it, Manifest) featured weddings last night, just an hour or 2 after I attended my daughter's wedding via Facetime.  (Reception followed via Zoom, BYOB.)  Big night!  Yay for 3/30 anniversaries, even if that wasn't plan A.

It's March Madness, a new kind of way.  Congratulations!

• Love 1
On 2/21/2022 at 8:19 PM, Netfoot said:

Newcomer.

Just binge-watched S01-05 and looking forward to S06.

I love Kim Wexler. I love Mike Ehrmantraut. I even love Gus Fring!

Jimmy/Saul -- what an asshole! But I love him too.

When is the first episode airing?

1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

It is little awkward that the default emoji is "Love", not "Like".  I mean, it takes some extra concentration to hold the cursor over the emoji icon and then carefully move the cursor to "Like".  It's almost as if I am insulting that person by showing I made the extra effort to merely "Like" their post.  So except for "Useful" and "Laugh", I just click on "Love" every time.    

Moving to small talk…

I kind of like the “thumbs up” option. I mean, maybe I don’t want to commit to loving what you said, but I want to say, thumbs up, good point. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Moving to small talk…

I kind of like the “thumbs up” option. I mean, maybe I don’t want to commit to loving what you said, but I want to say, thumbs up, good point. 

hate all forms of thumbs up. It’s awful in person but also very, very irritating online. 😆

• Like 2
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Moving to small talk…

Yeah.  I just wish it was the default emoji.  

• Like 2

Maybe since this was so early it always makes me chuckle.

Did someone already mention this?

Saul: All right. Who do we have? Brandon Mayhew. All right. Here we go. Public masturbation.

Badger: What?

Saul: I don't get it. What's the kick? Why don't you do it at home, like the rest of us with a big flat-screen TV. In a Starbucks. That's nice.

• LOL 1

I don’t mean to ring everybody down, but I have a confession and I don’t know where else to turn.

I heard from some relatives that a certain show was “great, amazing, awesome!”

so my wife and I watched several episodes.

Yes, we watched a few episodes of TERMINAL LIST.

My question is: should we drink poison, jump off tall buildings, stab ourselves in the ears and eyes with ice picks, or take an ice flow out to sea for a slow and painful demise?

I feel as if we have absorbed all the worst elements of 80’s and 90’s action movies, all the cliches, all the fan-boy first person shooter vid game drama, all the dregs of a John Woo production mated to John Wick stapled to Michael Bay’s worst Penthouse forum love talk combined with the spellbinding dialogue of the Star Wars prequels.

I feel unclean. I know my IQ has been lowered. As well as my self esteem.

please tell me there is hope…

• LOL 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought early on (before Kim left Jimmy and he descended completely into Saul), Francesca didn't really disdain him.

I use "enuf" all the time. I remember feeling DISDAIN -- See what I did there? -- for misspellings and bad grammar online. I now embrace it.

from the S6E9 thread:
Serious question - what did you do there?  Did someone misspell “disdain” upthread?  I think I’m missing the joke. 

You can count me among those who are bugged by enuf, prolly, b4, ur, and the like. But unless there’s some site rule like “no text speak”, I’ll try to live with it. No embracing here, though. :-)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Serious question - what did you do there?  Did someone misspell “disdain” upthread?  I think I’m missing the joke. 

You can count me among those who are bugged by enuf, prolly, b4, ur, and the like. But unless there’s some site rule like “no text speak”, I’ll try to live with it. No embracing here, though. :-)

I think I missed the joke, too. The whole thing just makes me sigh. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

On 7/18/2022 at 8:25 AM, Lalo Lives said:

I don’t mean to ring everybody down, but I have a confession and I don’t know where else to turn.

I heard from some relatives that a certain show was “great, amazing, awesome!”

so my wife and I watched several episodes.

Yes, we watched a few episodes of TERMINAL LIST.

My question is: should we drink poison, jump off tall buildings, stab ourselves in the ears and eyes with ice picks, or take an ice flow out to sea for a slow and painful demise?

I feel as if we have absorbed all the worst elements of 80’s and 90’s action movies, all the cliches, all the fan-boy first person shooter vid game drama, all the dregs of a John Woo production mated to John Wick stapled to Michael Bay’s worst Penthouse forum love talk combined with the spellbinding dialogue of the Star Wars prequels.

I feel unclean. I know my IQ has been lowered. As well as my self esteem.

please tell me there is hope…

Do what I do, Lalo.  Watch TCM most of the time.  Pretend it's 1940.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Do what I do, Lalo.  Watch TCM most of the time.  Pretend it's 1940.

Good plan. Time also to read some classics….the ones I was supposed to read in high school.

5 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Or 1974, lol.

Rockford Files, McCloud, Starsky and Hutch maybe.  My mom changed David Soul’s diapers. No, nothing perverted, just babysitting.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

My older sister is a penny pincher. I have a house full of books. She gets books from the library. “Why pay for a book if you can borrow it? is her philosophy.

But she ALSO gets DVDs from the library.

She said that the BETTER CALL SAUL DVDs have all kinds of extra material, writer and director interviews, discussions, Q&A, etc.

I’m just pointing it out if any forum members are looking for more material perhaps not available on YouTube or the internet.

I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy some giant combo VHS, DVD, BLU-RAY super ninja collectors pack of BB and BCS when all is said and done.

So I can see he behind the scenes, in the minds of the creators plots and plans, edited, cutting room floor, STUFF that I have not seen yet.

Gonna be a sad day when this is finished. But the good thing is my mind is quickly becoming less efficient. When I rewatch it will all seem knew again.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

from the S6E9 thread:

I'm sorry. Earlier in that post I was talking about whether Francesca felt disdain for Jimmy/Saul, so I use just using the same word later in the post. Dumb callback.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Lalo Lives said:

Good plan. Time also to read some classics….the ones I was supposed to read in high school.

Rockford Files, McCloud, Starsky and Hutch maybe.  My mom changed David Soul’s diapers. No, nothing perverted, just babysitting.

How could you leave out Columbo?

22 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Well I'm glad you did because it got us that picture of the Great Dane, one of my favorite breeds.  I just want to hug his head so bad,

One day I’m getting a Dane for my wife. We have several giant breeds in our neighborhood that we see when we walk our dogs (Wolfhounds, Mastiffs, Danes), and both of us have always wanted one. But my wife wants a Dane specifically, so I’m sure that will be our entry into the extra large plastic bags arena. Years ago I had a Neapolitan (weighed more than I do) take off part of my nose. But I still would love to have one.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lalo Lives said:

One day I’m getting a Dane for my wife. We have several giant breeds in our neighborhood that we see when we walk our dogs (Wolfhounds, Mastiffs, Danes), and both of us have always wanted one. But my wife wants a Dane specifically, so I’m sure that will be our entry into the extra large plastic bags arena. Years ago I had a Neapolitan (weighed more than I do) take off part of my nose. But I still would love to have one.

Dane's are wonderful gentle doggos, just remember they have a short lifespan, which means them going over the Rainbow Bridge way before they should

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

As soon as you sign up for a Netflix account.  Then it's whenever you'd like to watch.

14 hours ago, SimplexFish said:

When does "How To Build Sex Room" come on? Asking for a friend...

It is actually a sequel to Bob Vila’s THIS OLD SPOUSE.

• LOL 1

ONE EPISODE

If you were trying to convince somebody to start BCS, which episode would you choose to get the juices flowing?

My eldest son actually watched BB before anybody in our family, but short of zip ties, toothpicks, and gorilla tape, I cannot get him to watch BCS.

I thought PIMENTO, since it has some cool fisticuffs that would appeal to a young man, and I don’t think it gives away too much of anything. Plus, as a BB alum, he’s familiar with Mike.

Any suggestions?

On 7/29/2022 at 3:58 PM, Lalo Lives said:

ONE EPISODE

I thought PIMENTO, since it has some cool fisticuffs that would appeal to a young man, and I don’t think it gives away too much of anything. Plus, as a BB alum, he’s familiar with Mike.

That is def one of my favorites...also .much later in the series its Bagman, even watching one from last season may get him to back up and do an all weekend marathon?

Edited by SimplexFish

This is probably like: “Hey, did ya hear Richard Nixon is out of office?”,  but I saw the “I Effed Hank” meme a few days ago, the one with Walt, Marie, and Skylar.

It made me spit out my Moscow Mule, as it were.

I won’t post it since most people here have never seen or heard a curse word. But it is funny……and probably 10 years old.

I know, I know, I’m WAAAAAAY behind the times.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:58 PM, Lalo Lives said:

ONE EPISODE

If you were trying to convince somebody to start BCS, which episode would you choose to get the juices flowing?

My eldest son actually watched BB before anybody in our family, but short of zip ties, toothpicks, and gorilla tape, I cannot get him to watch BCS.

Any suggestions?

I mean, I kind of feel like it's one where you either do it the right way or not at all since so much is gained by getting immersed over time.  There are plenty of shows which take a while to find their feet and you can happily skip early episodes or even whole seasons but BCS just isn't one.  "Uno" is a bit of a slow burn but does represent the show well and includes Tuco at the end as a bit of a BB sweetener. 

But if not then "Five-O" is the obvious one that completely stands alone and feels as close to BB tonally as anything in the first four seasons.  It's still one of the all-time best episodes, perhaps the best, and it doesn't really spoil anything from the first five episodes.

I like "Pimento" a lot but you really need to know Chuck for that pay off to pack a real punch - I think it might ultimatgely be harder for someone to get into the show in some ways if you watch Chuck's whole first season through the prism of that revelation.  "Mijo" and "Hero" are adequate introductions in different ways but at this point you may as well just start with "Uno".

Before everybody gets all teary eyed, and the series comes to a screeching halt, I’m thanking you all for the fun.

I’m a late arrival to this forum. I don’t do social media.

But the wit and cleverness on this forum have been something to enjoy.

I wanted to express thanks before the show is over. Otherwise I’ll forget.

Ok, enough of that touchy-freely crap. I expect nothing but rudeness, profanity, tomfoolery, and chicanery from now on.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Lalo Lives said:

Before everybody gets all teary eyed, and the series comes to a screeching halt, I’m thanking you all for the fun.

I’m a late arrival to this forum. I don’t do social media.

But the wit and cleverness on this forum have been something to enjoy.

I wanted to express thanks before the show is over. Otherwise I’ll forget.

Ok, enough of that touchy-freely crap. I expect nothing but rudeness, profanity, tomfoolery, and chicanery from now on.

To adapt Mr Hamlin, sometimes in this forum you get so caught up in the idea of posting that you forget to listen to your heart.  But I completely agree and echo you - it's a terrific place.  And you all orchestrated it!  Posting us blind!  Couldn't keep your hands off of the submit button!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2022 at 2:27 PM, gallimaufry said:

I mean, I kind of feel like it's one where you either do it the right way or not at all since so much is gained by getting immersed over time.  There are plenty of shows which take a while to find their feet and you can happily skip early episodes or even whole seasons but BCS just isn't one.  "Uno" is a bit of a slow burn but does represent the show well and includes Tuco at the end as a bit of a BB sweetener. 

But if not then "Five-O" is the obvious one that completely stands alone and feels as close to BB tonally as anything in the first four seasons.  It's still one of the all-time best episodes, perhaps the best, and it doesn't really spoil anything from the first five episodes.

I like "Pimento" a lot but you really need to know Chuck for that pay off to pack a real punch - I think it might ultimatgely be harder for someone to get into the show in some ways if you watch Chuck's whole first season through the prism of that revelation.  "Mijo" and "Hero" are adequate introductions in different ways but at this point you may as well just start with "Uno".

I had forgotten the Chuck aspect of the episode.

My boy has now started BB so maybe he'll venture into BCS on his own.

Watched LIGHT and MAGIC on Disney+.

Story of Industrial Light and Magic and its influence on movies.

As one who would like to kick George Lucas squarely in the beans, I found it to be well done, fascinating, etc. And I must admit Lucas had a vision. Fortunately the focus is not necessarily on him, but rather on those who did much of the grunt work. Lawrence Kasdan directed this documentary.

If you are a fan of how special effects are done, were done, and may be done in the future, it is worth the 6 episode sit down time.

I just ordered the DVD sets for the first four seasons.  I noticed season 6 is available through Amazon Prime on a per-episode basis. 

I don't have Prime but I might get it to watch Rings of Power.  Opinions from others who watch ROP will be very welcome.  Fwiw, I didn't bother watching the third Hobbit movie. 

1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

I noticed season 6 is available through Amazon Prime on a per-episode basis. 

I don't have Prime but I might get it to watch Rings of Power.  Opinions from others who watch ROP will be very welcome.  Fwiw, I didn't bother watching the third Hobbit movie. 

ROP isn't really my genre; although I did think the trailer looked pretty good.

Apologies if you know this but you're mentioning BCS and Prime in the same post and I want to make sure nobody gets Prime thinking they'll have access to Better Call Saul Season 6.  They won't.

BCS is for sale on Amazon's retail side. The retail side includes what you'd normally think of (books, household items, DVDs) but it also includes movies, seasons and episodes of TV that you can purchase to stream.  Sometimes, these streaming options are free if you have Amazon Prime or another streaming service you can access via Amazon (like Paramount+, AcornTV, Britbox, or AMC+) and sometimes they are not.   BCS is not.  You can sign up for AMC+ to get access to episodes 11-13 but that's it. 

You don't need to be an Amazon Prime member to purchase those TV show seasons, episodes or movies from the retail side even if the delivery is electronic.

Amazon Prime is a streaming service.  They carry shows they license that can also be purchased on the retail side but are free to view for members.  And then they carry shows like ROP which you can only get if you sign up for the streaming service.  Amazon doesn't sell those shows on their retail side.

tl;dr:  You can buy BCS Season 6 from Amazon right now without needing to sign up for any streaming service and signing up for that service won't get you the full season.  Right now, the only service where I think we'll see the full season if you're a subscriber is Netflix.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just to test things out, I went ahead and paid $3.99 for Fun and Games.  The Amazon player seems brighter than AMC+ player, although there is no way for me to do a side-by-side comparison.  

There just isn't anything else out there that sounds all that interesting.  

Edited by PeterPirate
2 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Just to test things out, I went ahead and paid $3.99 for Fun and Games.  The Amazon player seems brighter than AMC+ player, although there is no way for me to do a side-by-side comparison.  

There just isn't anything else out there that sounds all that interesting.  

Have you seen “The Americans” or “The Deuce?”

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I watched the first two seasons of The Deuce, but for some reason I didn't catch the final season. 

It’s worth watching! The finale is one of the great ones, imo. So hard to get right. 

• Like 2