Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Who Ya Gonna Call?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

It’s amazing. Try it!

Truth be told, I need a show that will take me away from real world events.  But it sounds like a show I will enjoy after the Russians get kicked out of Ukraine.  

Some people I know like She-Hulk.  Maybe I will buckle down and get Disney+ after I cancel my AMC+ subscription.  BCS leaves AMC+ for good on September 13.  The DVDs for season 6 can be pre-ordered but there is no information when they will be released.  

Edited by PeterPirate
1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

Truth be told, I need a show that will take me away from real world events.  But it sounds like a show I will enjoy after the Russians get kicked out of Ukraine.  

Some people I know like She-Hulk.  Maybe I will buckle down and get Disney+ after I cancel my AMC+ subscription.  BCS leaves AMC+ for good on September 13.  The DVDs for season 6 can be pre-ordered but there is no information when they will be released.  

I have AMC for 99c, thanks to an amazon deal, that ends next month. I'm trying to squeeze it all in, but now I'm wondering if it will end up on Netflix, when it leaves AMC. I've been powering through it, as I'm doing other things, when sometimes it really needs more attention. 

I want to watch She-Hulk, and Ms Marvel. I have Disney Plus, but keep forgetting about it, which is a waste of money, I can't really afford. 

Oh, I loved The Americans. One of my favourite shows.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I’ll never get over much BS this is. 

Yeah.  At the least they should have bought the rights so that 13 episodes expired at the same time.  

I did get a good deal on the DVDs for seasons 1, 2, and 3.   I'm going to have a lot of commentary tracks to listen to.  I find most podcasts pretty pedestrian, but commentaries can be more interesting because the cast and crew are reacting as they watch the show.  

• Like 1

I haven't watched a DVD in a long time -- My player is packed away somewhere -- but I too enjoy listening to the commentaries as long as there are not too many people, which often leads to them talking over each other or (even with fewer people) joking around or going off on tangents. Sometimes this can be entertaining, but I like listening to commentaries when they're informative and provide new perspectives on the scenes, characters, themes, etc.

• Love 1

BCS gets a shout-out near the end of this video about Rings of Power.  

I'm trying to keep an open mind about ROP.  As a fan of Tolkien's writings, I'm very skeptical about a work of fan-fiction, especially when it takes a central character and morphs her into a completely different version from the literary canon.  Then again, Tolkien's characters are quite wooden, and it takes some work to make them engaging when put on screen.  

This video also points out a basic problem with many offerings in these days of wokeness.  Female characters are flawless; male characters are buffoons.  There's no nuance or complexity.  Even the review videos out there are extremely polarized into shills and haters.  This is one of the few reviews that is strongly negative but also adopts a live-and-let-live stance.  

That's what made BCS such a special product, even in comparison to BB.  There was nuance and complexity and moral grayness in all of the characters.  It was good to see Marie in the felina because she showed the most growth out of the BB characters.  

And going back to The Americans, I found this snippet from one review:

'The Americans' despite its Cold War, espionage-based story-telling and often stomach churning violence is at heart, a very human drama about the charades involved in maintaining an 'identity' (we are all implicated as impostors), while highlighting the futile, tit-for-tat end- games played by nation states all claiming a non-existent moral high ground.

I must admit this makes that show sound very intriguing.  I can check out DVDs from my local library without having to pay for another subscription service, so why not.  But I take exception to the end part about the moral high ground being non-existent.  As current events in Ukraine prove, there are good guys and bad guys in this world.  We are the good guys; the Russians are the bad guys.  Hank and Gomey were the good guys; Walt and Jesse and Saul were the bad guys.  Kim and Jimmy had good hearts, but they indulged the demons of their nature.  At least in the end they both realized it.  I guess I will find out if the Jennings ever wrestle with the morality of what they are doing or the system they are serving.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

I'm trying to keep an open mind about ROP. 

I haven't read any of the books, but I saw the movies and generally liked them. I'll check this one out, too. I'm sure I won't be as aware of any unfaithfulness to the characters, etc., as bigger fans. 

And going back to The Americans, I found this snippet from one review:

'The Americans' despite its Cold War, espionage-based story-telling and often stomach churning violence is at heart, a very human drama about the charades involved in maintaining an 'identity' (we are all implicated as impostors), while highlighting the futile, tit-for-tat end- games played by nation states all claiming a non-existent moral high ground.

But I take exception to the end part about the moral high ground being non-existent.  As current events in Ukraine prove, there are good guys and bad guys in this world.  We are the good guys; the Russians are the bad guys.

Yes, but of course we (the U.S.), the good guys, have done bad things. But you'll see in The Americans how each side is moral or not.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

I must admit this makes that show sound very intriguing.  I can check out DVDs from my local library without having to pay for another subscription service, so why not.  But I take exception to the end part about the moral high ground being non-existent.  As current events in Ukraine prove, there are good guys and bad guys in this world.  We are the good guys; the Russians are the bad guys.  Hank and Gomey were the good guys; Walt and Jesse and Saul were the bad guys.  Kim and Jimmy had good hearts, but they indulged the demons of their nature.  At least in the end they both realized it.  I guess I will find out if the Jennings ever wrestle with the morality of what they are doing or the system they are serving.  

Struggling with the morality of what they're doing is often front and center on the Americans. However--and I think this is a good thing--it doesn't follow what was the standard Cold War Russian story of that time period, where all the Russians wind up learning that the US is better. The US is not always the good guy of the world, but the show isn't really focused on that. In fact, I've seen the show criticized against both countries, depending on whichever side the viewer is extremely on.

If you like the scams Jimmy and Kim run, the Jennings whole life is basically made up of that on steroids!

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, but of course we (the U.S.), the good guys, have done bad things. But you'll see in The Americans how each side is moral or not.

3 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Struggling with the morality of what they're doing is often front and center on the Americans. However--and I think this is a good thing--it doesn't follow what was the standard Cold War Russian story of that time period, where all the Russians wind up learning that the US is better. The US is not always the good guy of the world, but the show isn't really focused on that. In fact, I've seen the show criticized against both countries, depending on whichever side the viewer is extremely on.

If you like the scams Jimmy and Kim run, the Jennings whole life is basically made up of that on steroids!

In my view US actions that ran contrary to our ideals often turned out to be detrimental to our interests in the long run.  For example, not supporting free elections in Viet Nam after the French got kicked out led to the disastrous Viet Nam war.  The communists would have taken over, but then again the US worked with other communist governments during the Cold War.  And today US naval vessels make port visits to the same communist country.  

In this context, Kim Wexler, personifies the US.  She aspired to be Atticus Finch, but allowed her attraction to the scam to lead her down the Bad Choice Road.  And Jimmy represents the Russian Bear, which rapaciously gobbles up peoples and nations until stopped by other powers.   

1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

In this context, Kim Wexler, personifies the US.  She aspired to be Atticus Finch, but allowed her attraction to the scam to lead her down the Bad Choice Road.  And Jimmy represents the Russian Bear, which rapaciously gobbles up peoples and nations until stopped by other powers.   

Atticus Finch is a proud defender of the 1930s racist US status quo. Kim seems actually better than him, despite her bad choices. Jimmy's gobbling seems pretty capitalist, so he doesn't seem like a good Soviet stand-in.

The Russian characters in the Americans all pretty much start out with good intentions like Kim, but often wind up feeling a lot like she does about it!

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Atticus Finch is a proud defender of the 1930s racist US status quo. Kim seems actually better than him, despite her bad choices.

Well, Atticus Finch was Kim's role model.  I imagine she focused on the part where Finch defended Tom Robinson.  And the BCS timeline is before Go Set A Watchman was published.   

2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Jimmy's gobbling seems pretty capitalist, so he doesn't seem like a good Soviet stand-in. 

I took care to refer to the "Russian Bear" instead of the "Soviet Empire" or even "Evil Empire".  Russian imperialism predates and postdates Soviet-era international communism.  

5 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

Well, Atticus Finch was Kim's role model.  I imagine she focused on the part where Finch defended Tom Robinson.  And the BCS timeline is before Go Set A Watchman was published.   

I was talking about the Atticus Finch in TKM. But yes, I definitely think that's the part of him that Kim was trying to emulate. It's just hard to avoid thinking about the rest of him when he's being held up as a symbol of American good intentions. 

5 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

I took care to refer to the "Russian Bear" instead of the "Soviet Empire" or even "Evil Empire".  Russian imperialism predates and postdates Soviet-era international communism.  

It's just really hard to go with a pro-US gobble metaphor without thinking of the genocide of Native Americans. 

But this kind of thing is luckily outside of the scope of the show. There's a lot of characters, both Russian and American and others, who have a range of personal opinions or reasons they doing whatever they're doing. And since the Russian characters tend to be the ones in more comflicted positions, I would say the Soviet system gets more criticism and its cruelties are dramatized more personally. The characters' personal histories with their own countries is more important than the history of the countries themselves.

24 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I was talking about the Atticus Finch in TKM. But yes, I definitely think that's the part of him that Kim was trying to emulate. It's just hard to avoid thinking about the rest of him when he's being held up as a symbol of American good intentions. 

Well, in the pantheon of American legendary figures, Finch is about the best we have, warts and all.  I suppose Kim could have referred to Jake Brigance from A Time To Kill, but I doubt she could have watched that movie with her father. 

24 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

It's just really hard to go with a pro-US gobble metaphor without thinking of the genocide of Native Americans. 

True, the history of humankind is war and conquest.  But in the world of today I still think the US stands for freedom and Russia and China stand for totalitarianism.  

Also, just because it is an extraordinary confluence of events, here is a video by my favorite YouTuber about how corporate greed ruined the Hobbit movies.  But she starts off by talking about Harper Lee.

No way! I got the AMC deal through Amazon, in July, specifically for this show. Nothing else. I've just finished season five, went to prime to look for season six, and it says "available to buy." NOPE. I can't afford that, and it isn't right.

I've found an alternative way to watch. I did the right thing, got the trial subscription through prime, and it tells me I need to buy it. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Well, in the pantheon of American legendary figures, Finch is about the best we have, warts and all.  I suppose Kim could have referred to Jake Brigance from A Time To Kill, but I doubt she could have watched that movie with her father. 

True, the history of humankind is war and conquest.  But in the world of today I still think the US stands for freedom and Russia and China stand for totalitarianism.  

Also, just because it is an extraordinary confluence of events, here is a video by my favorite YouTuber about how corporate greed ruined the Hobbit movies.  But she starts off by talking about Harper Lee.

I enjoyed every minute of this video (and was a huge LOTR fan who thought The Hobbit was a hot mess too) so thank you!!

• Love 1
On 9/1/2022 at 6:59 AM, peeayebee said:

I haven't read any of the books, but I saw the movies and generally liked them. I'll check this one out, too. I'm sure I won't be as aware of any unfaithfulness to the characters, etc., as bigger fans. 

Here is a review you might find valuable.  She knows a good deal about Tolkien's literary works but she still liked the first episode of Rings of Power.  Previously she was very critical of another Amazon product called The Wheel Of Time. so her objectivity is established.   

Part of my deal (to get my son to watch either BB or BCS) was to watch INCEPTION. I mentioned this somewhere—maybe in rewatch read—but I’m too lazy to search.

Here’s my Siskel and Ebert. And I know I’m, again, years behind sked.

I guess Nolan doesn’t do it for me. Not only was I confused, but I was also bored.

I think time travel and/or reality travel focused stuff is lazy, tedious, yawn yawn yawn. Plus the lead, the chubby guy who only dates girls in junior high, his name escapes me, ahh, yes, Ol Leo, just seemed to be ACTING. Plus there was TONS AND TONS AND TONS OF EXPLAINING.

(Felt same way about TENET even though I was pleasantly surprised by the acting.)

Weak.

Now, for a couple sleepers from the old days that I find fun.

FANDANGO. From mid-ish 80’s. Viet Nam era kids about to go to war have one last road trip. Sad, funny, poignant. Great music.

And COLLATERAL with Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise and quite a few other known stars (Javier Bardem, to name one, also Jada Pickett) in tiny parts. Some good music. The gunplay is sound, mostly, and Tom received some top notch training from a Brit SAS guy, and, having been in this arena for some time, I can say I was truly impressed. Michael Mann typically makes his actors learn how to move and shoot fairly well. (Ex: HEAT)

Last night, I was starving, and we were driving to Starbucks, talking about what I wanted (I was hungry, but didn't really want anything). We drove by this chicken place I've never tried, called Crazy Chicken, and decided to try it. They boast that their chicken is never frozen. It reminded me of Gus Fring.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

BCS leaves AMC+ for good on Monday.  I cancelled my subscription, and for better or worse, I signed up for Amazon Prime and am now watching Rings of Power.

Yesterday I wanted to check something out on 'Waterworks' only to find that it was gone. I knew that was going to happen, but it pisses me off again. 

For some reason when I signed up at AMC+, I did a year's subscription. I don't think I can cancel and get money back. :(

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

BCS leaves AMC+ for good on Monday.  I cancelled my subscription, and for better or worse, I signed up for Amazon Prime and am now watching Rings of Power.

How the mighty have fallen! 🤣

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Yesterday I wanted to check something out on 'Waterworks' only to find that it was gone. I knew that was going to happen, but it pisses me off again. 

For some reason when I signed up at AMC+, I did a year's subscription. I don't think I can cancel and get money back. :(

Yes, I’m going to remain pissed off indefinitely about this. Great way to repay their loyal fans who have followed this show for years and specifically chose to pay for AMC +.

• Love 2

I don't know about "The Rings of Power".  Tolkien to me is in the books and to some extent the rather excellent 1981 radio adaptation of LOTR.  The Jackson films were all wrong to me (I never saw "The Hobbit" ones to be fair).  Ironically, the kind of slow and thoughtful pace of BCS was what I'd have wanted from a LOTR series.  But TRoP fanficcing off the world as a whole just feels... I dunno... somewhat icky somehow in a way I can't put my finger on.  Not saying I'll never watch it - I do have a lot of time for Genny Hutchison especially - but I currently don't have any inclination to.

I did watch the new GoT series.  I have zero investment in GoT and found that I could kind of half-watch the original.  Some plots I found so boring I literally have no idea what went on cos I never paid attention (anything involving the wall or the zombies really) but I did like some of the palace politics stuff and I realised that having started, since the main attraction was the preposterous twists, I'd have no chance of avoiding spoilers if I didn't keep up.  As such, I didn't expect to get on board for the spin-off but then - Matt Smith.  So I'm following it.  It feels more focused, more nuanced but less energised than the original and it looks cheaper too (or perhaps my standards are changing).

I watched "The Orville" on my summer break.  Never got what it was supposed to be from the hype but seeing Jon Cassar of "24" fame was involved, I thought I'd try.  It's pretty good fun.  I'm not sure it's an all-time great show but it feels like it's doing exactly what it's trying to do.  I tried Discovery and it didn't gel for me at all and I love how shamelessly nostalgic this is.

Still nothing to scratch that BCS itch even slightly.

Except perhaps that another GoaT series, "Gargoyles", is coming back in December, albeit in comic form.

6 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

How the mighty have fallen! 🤣

I've started posting at the Rings of Power forum.  Lightning bolts shoot from my fingertips.   And I only use my powers for good.  

I also get free shipping on my Amazon purchases. 

3 hours ago, gallimaufry said:

I don't know about "The Rings of Power".  Tolkien to me is in the books and to some extent the rather excellent 1981 radio adaptation of LOTR.  The Jackson films were all wrong to me (I never saw "The Hobbit" ones to be fair).  Ironically, the kind of slow and thoughtful pace of BCS was what I'd have wanted from a LOTR series.  But TRoP fanficcing off the world as a whole just feels... I dunno... somewhat icky somehow in a way I can't put my finger on.  Not saying I'll never watch it - I do have a lot of time for Genny Hutchison especially - but I currently don't have any inclination to.

I did watch the new GoT series.  I have zero investment in GoT and found that I could kind of half-watch the original.  Some plots I found so boring I literally have no idea what went on cos I never paid attention (anything involving the wall or the zombies really) but I did like some of the palace politics stuff and I realised that having started, since the main attraction was the preposterous twists, I'd have no chance of avoiding spoilers if I didn't keep up.  As such, I didn't expect to get on board for the spin-off but then - Matt Smith.  So I'm following it.  It feels more focused, more nuanced but less energised than the original and it looks cheaper too (or perhaps my standards are changing).

I watched "The Orville" on my summer break.  Never got what it was supposed to be from the hype but seeing Jon Cassar of "24" fame was involved, I thought I'd try.  It's pretty good fun.  I'm not sure it's an all-time great show but it feels like it's doing exactly what it's trying to do.  I tried Discovery and it didn't gel for me at all and I love how shamelessly nostalgic this is.

Still nothing to scratch that BCS itch even slightly.

Except perhaps that another GoaT series, "Gargoyles", is coming back in December, albeit in comic form.

Rings of Power is better than the Hobbit movies.  I watched the first two and have not bothered to watch the third. I also own the extended versions of all three LOTR movies, which I consider to be excellent but sometimes cringy adaptations of the source material. 

After watching two episodes of ROP, I can say it is indeed "icky" compared to the source material.  There are times I when roll my eyes, or sigh, or have to pause the stream.  And Amazon's marketing strategy has been abysmal if not repugnant.  

All that said, the show itself is somewhat compelling.  I don't consider it a waste of my time or money, and I intend to keep watching. 

Edited by PeterPirate

I finally broke down and paid $7 for the digital version of season 6.  This on top of whatever I will end up paying for the DVDs.  Those commentaries are worth the extra money. 

Rings of Power is a mess.  But the Serbian Gals are reacting to it, so that's a plus.