Type keyword(s) to search

Amber: A Rill Woman Goes to Gel

• Start Topic

I would say Amber is the worst out of the girls on TM1, but if we're looking at both shows my vote is for Jenelle.  I think she and Amber are about even in many respects (anger, substance abuse, legal trouble, bringing sketchy men around their kids, etc.), but the tiebreaker for me is that Jenelle is the only one out of all eight girls that makes me legitimately question whether she loves her children.

I completely agree with you here. Amber may not be "mother of the year" but she does seem to genuinely love Leah. I don't think Jenelle's even capable of loving her children, sadly.  I am really glad that neither one of them has custody the majority of the time.

• Love 5

"Amber sat down with InTouch Weekly"

on her um, fragrant couch, where else...

"to discuss ideas for her “dream wedding” to fiancé Matt Baier."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dream

"dream \ˈdrēm\...

an idea or vision that is created in your imagination and that is not real"

"The two became engaged in essentially five minutes after meeting in November, and on the most recent reunion show that she plans on having a prenup and yearlong engagement. With InTouch she revealed that she absolutely wants her cousin Krystal to be her maid of honor at the ceremony. Yes, the same Krystal that was completely disgusted at the sight of Amber and Matt kissing."

Oh, Krystal. Your horrified expressions could be the superstar of the wedding.

"She goes on to say that she wants the Teen Mom: OG girls to be bridesmaids in her ceremony."

Because Amber-Matt didn't already have enough trainwreck nuclear payload.

• Love 1

"She goes on to say that she wants the Teen Mom: OG girls to be bridesmaids in her ceremony."

Because Amber-Matt didn't already have enough trainwreck nuclear payload.

She should also ask Kailyn from Teen Mom 2. And insist that along with the BM dress, Kail buy a bunch of hideous accessories and pay for them herself.

We should start a previously TV pool about the first TM1 girl to get married. Wonder what kind of risk junkie would be willing to lay odds on Farrah?

• Love 1

Thoughts:

1. Will the couch be included in the prenup?

2. If the wedding is televised, Kristal will be there in a heartbeat. 

3. Can Headie be a bridesmaid too?

• Love 5

Will they get married while sitting on the couch?

Will the bridesmaid dresses match the color and fabric of the couch?

Will there be a couch cake-topper?

Will the guests be sitting on couches during the reception as they eat from paper plates? 

• Love 6

Dunno, she posted on social media about skyping with her baby on her lunch break. I guess it could have been school though? Anyway, she's almost done with medical assistant or surgical tech school, one of those.

• Love 1

Okay, must be her lunch break at school.

I have serious doubts about her finding a job as a medical assistant (which is what she's studying) because of her record and known drug history. If she does find a job, I doubt it will last long because 1) it's Jenelle (who blew off her server job to steal Barb's credit card to go to New Jersey with Keiffer in season 1) and 2) if she has any access to drugs, it's done.

• Love 3

Didn't most of her charges get cleared? Seemed like that lawyer was always getting her off. Latest fighting charges with Nathan were also dropped.

Amber is going to have a hard time should she ever decide she wants to work.

I watched Amber's 16 and Pregnant episode for the first time last night. I had never seen it before and I could not believe how awesome it was. It is a little sad to watch though because Amber and Gary both seem so normal and almost functional. I mean, Amber still comes across as kind of lazy and Gary is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but they seem like a normal teenage couple (well, maybe Gary was 20-21) who actually care about each other.

There were some AWESOME lines in that episode though. My favorites:

-Amber and Gary eat at the Steak n Shake, and Gary gets on Amber for not eating properly and using her pregnancy as an excuse to eat cheese fries. Yes, Gary is giving nutritional advice. He does appear to be eating a salad while lecturing her, but it's a Steak n Shake salad which I bet came with breaded chicken nuggets and was doused in dressing.

-Amber talks about needing to save money and how expensive babies are, and then gleefully exclaims, Gary and I found a crib at a garage sale for 15 dollars! She's just so earnest and happy about their find. The crib came disassembled too so not only were they trusting garage sale merchandise but also Gary to assemble it correctly.

-And my ultimate favorite: so, Amber's mom was openly hostile to both Gary and his mom (she explained in the episode that Gary's mom let Amber sleep in Gary's bed unbeknownst to Amber's mom, like, hey, why is Amber sleeping over at her boyfriend's house in the first place, Tonya?) and blamed them both for Amber's pregnancy. Anyways, things come to a head at a family cookout where Tonya is downright rude to Gary's family and Gary is bitching about it to Amber. He says something, I didn't catch what it was, and Amber says something like, you better not say that to my mom's face. Gary responds, oh, like when she called me an Inbred Piece of Shit? I laughed so hard I almost peed myself.

Still, unlike Maci and Ryan, or most of the other 16 and pregnant couples, these two did seem like they honestly cared for each other and wanted to do right by each other, and regarded the accidental pregnancy as something that was the responsibility (and fault) of both of them, which is a nice change. Both of them morphed into extremely unlikeable people as the show went on.

• Love 4

That was indeed Gary and Amber. Gary spent about $500 on a new playstation and then was shamed by Amber's entire extended family into returning it. He bought her engagement ring at Walmart and- I will go back and rewatch just to make sure- I am fairly certain the cashier said it was $21.40.

• Love 5

Re: the ring, during that special they did right before this season (the one where the girls watched old footage, can't remember what it was called), there was actually what I thought was a really poignant moment.  When Amber was watching the clip of Gary buying the ring and then proposing, I expected her to use it as an opportunity to make a dig at Gary.  Instead, she actually really surprised me by talking about how sweet it was and how she misses the days back when they had nothing because Gary has changed so much since then.  It's like what people were talking about upthread, Gary and Amber really seemed to love each other back in the day, and not in a toxic manipulative way.  I guess money doesn't solve everything.

• Love 5

Re: the ring, during that special they did right before this season (the one where the girls watched old footage, can't remember what it was called), there was actually what I thought was a really poignant moment.  When Amber was watching the clip of Gary buying the ring and then proposing, I expected her to use it as an opportunity to make a dig at Gary.  Instead, she actually really surprised me by talking about how sweet it was and how she misses the days back when they had nothing because Gary has changed so much since then.  It's like what people were talking about upthread, Gary and Amber really seemed to love each other back in the day, and not in a toxic manipulative way.  I guess money doesn't solve everything.

This reminded me of why I had hopes for Amber. On Dr. Phil and her Dr. Drew interview, she was adamant that she was in the wrong and Gary was a great father. On Dr. Phil, she was so calm and really gave off these feelings that she was on the road to recovery. She seemed apologetic for what she had done. Overall, she seemed to really be giving Gary props for all she had put him through, never blaming him for her own actions, and really praising him. What a breath of fresh air. Now, she is back to the old Amber.

Tatum thanks for that recap. That is hilarious and yet, so poignant, especially the crib scene. So many things I have forgotten about those two from their 16 & Pregnant episode.

I wonder if the death of Amber's father has somewhat pushed her back to her old ways? I didn't even know her dad died in December until she mentioned it on the reunion show. I am getting the feeling that she didn't get to see much of him partly due to her prison stint. I wonder if she feels guilty for having  missed out on time with him?

• Love 1

I think her father's passing is playing a part on some level. Now I certainly don't know anything but, I got the feeling when he got worse she didn't jump to his side. Meaning she got things together and then left to be with him. She just didn't make it in time. It all happened quickly. He had been sick for so long though, I can't imagine anyone blaming her for not getting to him faster. It's understandable, as an outsider, but it seems like she might be being pretty tough on herself.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

At least Geaaarrryyyyy had a job back then.

I think Amber did too.  Wasn't she was waiting tables (in a diner where they went all the time) until she got pregnant and/or right before MTV started filming? 

On the reunion show Amber said that when she first got out of prison she was still hoping to get her family (Geaaarrryyy and Leah) back until she found out about Christina.   I was kind of amazed by that.   

I really think this new guy is bad news for Amber.  Any hope for her recovery I had kind of vanished when she introduced that guy. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

I remember thinking Gary and Amber seemed to truly care about each other in their early episodes.  I can't remember the details but I remember hearing a phrase that the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference - and even now I don't see indifference there between them. They have way too much 'fun' pissing each other off. I think they can move on but I think they both still care, and I totally agree that the $$ haven't been good for them.

• Love 4

I don't recall what the job was, but Amber made a couple references to having a job in her 16 and Pregnant episode. She also worked on and off during Teen Mom in the early seasons.

Oh funny- another scene in 16 and Pregnant, Amber and Gary are at Walmart pricing car seats and other big ticket baby items, and Amber runs into a girl from her high school. The girl mentions that she hasn't seen Amber around lately, to which Amber replies something like, I was a senior last year, but-points to belly- I'm pregnant now, so... And the girl kind of laughs nervously and wishes her luck and leaves. Amber snots after she's gone to Gary that the girl was totally judging her, but I think the girl was trying to figure out how being 4 months pregnant currently means you had to drop out of school the year before. I mean really, unless you had debilitating morning sickness, there's no reason you can't go to school while pregnant, particularly for Amber, who with a Nov due date, would have only been 3-4 months along when school was let out for the summer.

• Love 4

Wow.  IF those texts really are from Matt then Amber is in bigger trouble than I thought.   Professional gambler for 14 years?  Hahahahaha   He must not be too good at it.   That creepster  feels more and more like a predator. 

So many layers of I.C.K. in that convo, but my "favorite" was where he encouraged her to bring a "friend" along to meet him.

That page was hard for me to read. The cracked glass didn't help either. It is Matt texting, right? Who is he texting to?

Article only refers to it as an unidentified Twitter user, so it could be fake.

Hm, GiantIdiot...nice Twitter handle. Is that Amber with him wearing the white dress and blue sash in his user photo?

I'm pretty sure GiantIdiot is really Matt's Twitter. I don't know if he had his profile pic with Amber when he was chatting with this girl. She may just have released these messages recently, so it would reflect his current profile pic. When did Matt and Amber get together? They were filming in the late fall and into winter, right? These dates are from July; I don't think they were together that far back. But what do I know? Regardless of if he is chatting some girl up behind Amber's back or not, the nature of these messages is just creepy. The guy is full of BS up to his ears and comes across as very predatory. 

• Love 2

So this is Matt texting someone who isn't Amber?

Yes.  Well, it's allegedly Matt but it's not Amber for sure; the other person says she lives in CT and works at Yale.   I wouldn't be surprised at all if this really was him.

Yale and MIT? On a Teen Mom thread? LOL...this has to be fake or some major bullshit being texted by two idiots one of who is named Matt. Maybe MIT is not the real MIT but "Matt in Trouble".

• Love 3

Here's my farthest-out theory. Under pressure from MTV to hold down costs for the cast, Heather bought that couch from an insane, cackling person at an estate sale. It is an evil, intelligent entity that needs to drain human life force in order to live on. Cf the house in Bette Davis' final movie "Burnt Offerings". Heather knows that the couch is vampiric and this is why we always see her uncomfortably squatting on the floor rather than sit on the furniture in Ambien's house.

Love, love, love the Burnt Offerings reference to that couch!

OT, it was the first scary movie I ever saw, and a a little kid I had nightmares for days after seeing it.

Yes. Well, it's allegedly Matt but it's not Amber for sure; the other person says she lives in CT and works at Yale. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this really was him.

Perhaps she cleans toilets at Yale?

Just a slam on Matt, no disrepect to janitors who have a tough and important job.

• Love 2

It would take a hazmat crew to red tag it, haul that shit out, and then they would have to incinerate it at a disposal site far, far from civilization.

Too bad Dirty Jobs isn't on anymore. I'd love to see my boyfriend Mike Rowe tackle that couch.

• Love 4

It really leads to one of the biggest debates in all of teen mom fandom: who is the BIGGEST screw up? There are so many sides to this coin, it's hard to choose.

Apparently, that would be the mom who has to get a real full-time job instead of just cashing in on 'fame'.

• Love 1

Love, love, love the Burnt Offerings reference to that couch!

OT, it was the first scary movie I ever saw, and a a little kid I had nightmares for days after seeing it.

Or, maybe Amber has to stay on the couch to hatch something's egg.

• Love 1
(edited)

It is an evil, intelligent entity that needs to drain human life force in order to live on. Cf the house in Bette Davis' final movie "Burnt Offerings".

Chiming in to say I was also both scared and scarred by that movie as a child.

Edited by missy jo
  • Love 3

Apparently Ambie wants to have all the TM girls as her bridesmaids.

Autocorrect tried to make Ambie "ambitious." No, really. Not that word!

I remember that item. I think she ought to go all out and invite the girls from the other seasons as well, just for an all out trainwrecky pile of awesomesauce.

• Love 1

I remember that item. I think she ought to go all out and invite the girls from the other seasons as well, just for an all out trainwrecky pile of awesomesauce.

That would be kind of amazing. Especially if you're a designer of maternity bridesmaid gowns.

• Love 3
(edited)

Apparently Ambie wants to have all the TM girls as her bridesmaids.

Autocorrect tried to make Ambie "ambitious." No, really. Not that word!

These folks really have no life outside of MTV ? Producers as Godparents, cast members as Bridemaids. Who do they talk to in real life? Where are their friends?

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 3

I can't with the Maci and Farrah drama. If they agree not to talk about it at all, I'm on board for an Ambie gets Married Special!

I don't think Amber has any friend tbh. Besides Creepy Matt lol

• Love 1

I can probably sit through a whole episode if cousin Kristal is there, cringing every time Ambie and Creepy are about to kiss. She has the best "eww" faces!

Creepy is the perfect name for that guy.  No need to call him Creepy Matt -- everyone knows who Creepy is. 

• Love 2