Type keyword(s) to search

Amber: A Rill Woman Goes to Gel

• Start Topic

I'm not going to make excuses for Amber, but the girl has practically zero support in the way of family, other than her brother. Her mom appears to be an alcoholic -- I'm purely speculating based on the way she acts and the fact that her head is as red as a tomato every time we see her. Her dad is/was an alcoholic and dying of liver disease. Crystal appears to offer nothing useful in terms of being a support system. I think Amber's mother is probably right about Cousin Crystal. I don't think Amber has sober friends, and therefore she has no friends.

College isn't for everyone, but I still think Amber should give it a try and enroll in a couple classes to start. I agree, online classes are not the way to go for her. The girl needs to achieve at something in order to build on that so she can believe in herself instead of looking for meaning in a relationship.

• Love 3

I'm not going to make excuses for Amber, but the girl has practically zero support in the way of family, other than her brother. Her mom appears to be an alcoholic -- I'm purely speculating based on the way she acts and the fact that her head is as red as a tomato every time we see her. Her dad is/was an alcoholic and dying of liver disease. Crystal appears to offer nothing useful in terms of being a support system. I think Amber's mother is probably right about Cousin Crystal. I don't think Amber has sober friends, and therefore she has no friends.

College isn't for everyone, but I still think Amber should give it a try and enroll in a couple classes to start. I agree, online classes are not the way to go for her. The girl needs to achieve at something in order to build on that so she can believe in herself instead of looking for meaning in a relationship.

Yeah, Amber has always struck me as being really stupid (like low IQ stupid, not just ignorant of the world stupid), but a few courses at a community college or a trade school might provide a good structure and sense of responsibility. Online is a horrible idea because it provides no structure and requires students to be proactive about what they don't understand. An ex of mine went to a private career college for a culinary program. While those places have a lot of issues they do have a tendency to sort of hold your hand through the process. Sometimes to the point of giving you a notebook and pencils when you go to class. I think Amber needs something like that.

• Love 4

I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that Amber's mother is not sober.  The puffy face, the strange and slurred speech, the fly off the handle attitude, and the practice of saying whatever she wants without a filter even if it's hurtful all hint at substance abuse. Maybe not alcohol, but something.  In reality she acts just like Amber did at the height of her addiction.  I think Amber has made some progress but her mother is not a resource for her to maintain her sobriety. 

• Love 8

Ha, good one Amber. If I recall, a fair amount of actual celebrities (like Jessica Biel and Claire Danes come to mind) went to a traditional 4 year university at the height of their popularity, so shut up, Amber. I think I read in Seventeen or something similar that Jessica Biel actually lived in the dorms.

Emma Watson lived in the dorms. She joked about being worried that she would show up and her roommate would have Harry Potter sheets.

• Love 1

I can't believe I'm writing this but Amber has become the most articulate of this franchise. The rest of them mince their words and lose their nerve, Amber says exactly what she's thinking. She says it in a clear and easy to understand way. It's a skill and I hope she finds a good use for it.

• Love 5

I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that Amber's mother is not sober.  The puffy face, the strange and slurred speech, the fly off the handle attitude, and the practice of saying whatever she wants without a filter even if it's hurtful all hint at substance abuse. Maybe not alcohol, but something.  In reality she acts just like Amber did at the height of her addiction.  I think Amber has made some progress but her mother is not a resource for her to maintain her sobriety.

I agree. And I doubt Cousin Crystal is sober, either.

• Love 3

I agree. And I doubt Cousin Crystal is sober, either.

I wonder about this too. She has mentioned several times how Crystal is one of the only sober people she can hang out with besides her producer. I wonder if Crystal really is sober, or Amber's perhaps just not aware that she's using something?  Or trying to hide it?  (she managed to hide a live-in boyfriend for awhile, after all)

• Love 2

I wonder about this too. She has mentioned several times how Crystal is one of the only sober people she can hang out with besides her producer. I wonder if Crystal really is sober, or Amber's perhaps just not aware that she's using something? Or trying to hide it? (she managed to hide a live-in boyfriend for awhile, after all)

I think it is sad for Amber that there is such a binary difference between sober/not sober with the people in her life. I like my drinks quite a bit, but I have plenty of friends that I don't or don't often drink around. Sometimes because they are sober, sometimes due to the circumstances of when we can get together, sometimes just because. I can't remember the last time I had a drink with my SIL even though both of us like a beer to unwind. It's just that the times it works out for us to get together are usually more of coffee date variety than beer variety. It's just sad that it seems like Amber only knows addicts or people in recovery. Nothing in between.

• Love 2

Wow...that guy is a piece of work! Didn't be also get arrested a few times too?

A DUI,bad checks and a $30k tax lien I think?! This can't end well for Amber. Not at all.....

• Love 5

Ok, why was Matt and Leah up making breakfast while Amber SLEPT????

She doesn't even see Leah that much does she??

I wonder if that ring is even real.

And I noticed Matt already had his "Amber" tattoo on his arm when he proposed...

#movingwaytoofastwitheverything. #trainwreckahead.

• Love 5
(edited)

For as much as Matt loves to talk crap about the TM and TM2 girls, I have to ask how, exactly, is he any better than them?

He (like Amber, Jenelle and presumably some others) has had problems with addiction.

He likes to be a bitch on Twitter (like pretty much all of them).

He has a kid that he allegedly doesn't see much (Jenelle, Farrah, and Amber too, while she was in gel).

He owes a lot on his taxes (Maci).

He has a criminal record (Jenelle, Amber, Jenelle, Farrah, Jenelle, Adam, Jenelle...)

I read he was an aspiring professional poker player, so it seems like his career goals are about as realistic/non-existent as the rest of them. (No offense to any pro poker players, it just seems about as likely as Tyler becoming an actor).

He immediately shacked up with a girl living off MTV money ( Kyle King, Taylor, Javi, (possibly Jordan?), Nathan Griffith, Gary Head, Courtland (though he barely got on TV) and whoever else Jenelle lived with, I can't name them all).

Long story short, for someone who loves to laugh at trainwrecks so much, he doesn't seem much better off than them.

Edited by truelovekiss
  • Love 7
(edited)

I find it highly suspect and downright creepy that he was/is a Teen Mom groupie/stalker on Twitter and now is engaged to one of them. 

I wonder if he has been following the show and twittering to them since they were all 16-18 years old and he was what...37-38?

Edited by starfire
  • Love 7
He immediately shacked up with a girl living off MTV money ( Kyle King, Taylor, Javi, (possibly Jordan?), Nathan Griffith, Gary Head, Courtland (though he barely got on TV) and whoever else Jenelle lived with, I can't name them all).

Keiffer, and then there was that skinny quiet guy that she lived with very briefly. 

I think if Matt dressed his age, instead of like a teenager, he'd be a little less creepy. 

Did anyone else think that Amber's cousin Krystal looked as though she may have been "on" something? Or was it just her unfortunate makeup application?  I was having a hard time trying to figure it out.

• Love 5

Keiffer, and then there was that skinny quiet guy that she lived with very briefly.

I think if Matt dressed his age, instead of like a teenager, he'd be a little less creepy.

Did anyone else think that Amber's cousin Krystal looked as though she may have been "on" something? Or was it just her unfortunate makeup application? I was having a hard time trying to figure it out.

Wow, how could I ever forget Keiffah?! Matt would judge me so hard for being such a bad fan!

• Love 4

Take that Gary! Amber getting married and that trumps your baby.

These broads are so very very stupid. And none of them have a single person around that can shake the shit out of them. Perhaps give some actual wisdomlike, don't get knocked up by a guy who is skittish about marrying you. Don't get engaged to anybody who has no job! 43yrs old or 23yrs old.

• Love 5
(edited)

Did anyone else think that Amber's cousin Krystal looked as though she may have been "on" something? Or was it just her unfortunate makeup application? I was having a hard time trying to figure it out.

Why not both?

I've doubted cousin Crystal's sobriety since she first started showing up on Teen Mom years ago when Amber was clearly high all the time. Add in what Amber's mom (who I also doubt is sober) said about her only showing up when the cameras are around....and I'm giving Crystal major side-eye.

But at least she had the sense & guts to (somewhat) call Amber & Matt out about moving too fast. I was kind of shocked Amber's mom didn't say something similar, but maybe she's just so glad that Matt isn't Gary or a registered sex offender or something...or maybe she's just high or drunk, too. At least Bubby told her he didn't think it was a good idea.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 3

But at least she had the sense & guts to (somewhat) call Amber & Matt out about moving too fast.

Several seasons ago Amber was dating someone else, and someone on camera told her she needed to "slow her roll" when it came to getting serious with random guys and bringing them around Leah. Amber immediately freaked out, started crying, and told every mutual acquaintance the two girls had that this person had called her a bad mother, which was not exactly true. Was that person Crystal? I know it was a girl about Amber's age at the time.

(edited)

Apparently, Amber fell behind on her rent last year, and MTV bailed her out.

"On June 27, 2014, MTV wire transferred $5,795 directly to Realty Wealth Advisors LLC to cover the costs, the property management firm claims in papers filed in Indiana’s Madison County Circuit Court."

Then she got behind on her rent for several months again this year, and her camp claims it was because she was busy traveling.  The account was made current and eviction proceedings were halted.

Amber claimed the property manager made a big deal over nothing, and just wanted to use her "fame" as publicity for their company.

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/teen-mom-amber-portwood-home-eviction-mtv-pays-rent

Edited by Bella Roche
  • Love 1

Rent? I thought she had a mortgage? So, this is a lie about Amber owning a home?

Who runs to their boss to cover their ass? This is not the real world. This is MTV's world. Fuck that. They should have left her to deal with her own mess. MTV is one big enabler, and that is not a good thing considering Amber is a former addict who seems to be on the road towards relapsing. This is not helping her at all. She has a boyfriend who lives with her, why is he not paying his way? Where does all of Amber's money go to aside from her nail salon visits and getting her hair done in those ridiculous colors.

• Love 7

Rent? I thought she had a mortgage? So, this is a lie about Amber owning a home?

Who runs to their boss to cover their ass? This is not the real world. This is MTV's world. Fuck that. They should have left her to deal with her own mess. MTV is one big enabler, and that is not a good thing considering Amber is a former addict who seems to be on the road towards relapsing. This is not helping her at all. She has a boyfriend who lives with her, why is he not paying his way? Where does all of Amber's money go to aside from her nail salon visits and getting her hair done in those ridiculous colors.

It would not fit in with MTV's storyline that Ambie is doing well and getting on with her life.  She lives in a house in the suburbs.  She drives a brand new car.  She has an enormous couch with built in snack tray.  She hosts dinner parties on her couch.  All is well in Amber's MTV World.

• Love 6
(edited)

It would not fit in with MTV's storyline that Ambie is doing well and getting on with her life.  She lives in a house in the suburbs.  She drives a brand new car.  She has an enormous couch with built in snack tray.  She hosts dinner parties on her couch.  All is well in Amber's MTV World.

Watching Amber lay around all damn day on this show is fucking boring. I get more entertainment watching the hippos at the local zoo who seem to do a lot more walking around than Amber does.

That scene with her family eating on the couch - ridiculous. If the bitch can afford to get her nails and hair done, she could afford a decent-sized table. All she would have to do is move them damn couches a bit further from the kitchen to make room.

Did MTV pay for those couches? Did they rent her that car? WHERE THE FUCK IS ALL OF HER MONEY?

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 5

I read the Radar article and the actual documents linked in .pdf. It only shows the money was wired from an MTV account. It very well could have been Amber's money, due to her for filming, that she asked to send directly to the property group. I think they made a giant leap to decide MTV was funding her life, which is how that article reads.

Even if it was money that Amber was due to receive from MTV, she still bounced a check and was behind on her rent. How can that happen when she pulled in money from previous seasons and "wrote" a book? She also had a book tour for which she must have been paid. She also did interviews. She also has another adult living with her and per her one of her tweets, he works. She posted that when people were apparently questioning her about him and whether this guy even has a job. There are many questions in my mind about this and many thoughts, none of which are good.

• Love 2

Watching Amber lay around all damn day on this show is fucking boring. I get more entertainment watching the hippos at the local zoo who seem to do a lot more walking around than Amber does.

That scene with her family eating on the couch - ridiculous. If the bitch can afford to get her nails and hair done, she could afford a decent-sized table. All she would have to do is move them damn couches a bit further from the kitchen to make room.

Did MTV pay for those couches? Did they rent her that car? WHERE THE FUCK IS ALL OF HER MONEY?

Speaking of laying around all fucking day, I need to defer to posters with more experience than I have. Is it good for a recently recovered addict to have shit all to do? I'm sure it's a delicate balance and too much stress and pressure probably isn't great either, but I feel like not having any distractions would be tough. I know I have a tendency to *ahem* maybe indulge a little more when I don't have anything to do or any reason to set the alarm in the morning. What do programs recommend? Is it really a good strategy to just plant your ass on the couch and wait for people to bring you stuff?

• Love 2
(edited)

Speaking of laying around all fucking day, I need to defer to posters with more experience than I have. Is it good for a recently recovered addict to have shit all to do? I'm sure it's a delicate balance and too much stress and pressure probably isn't great either, but I feel like not having any distractions would be tough. I know I have a tendency to *ahem* maybe indulge a little more when I don't have anything to do or any reason to set the alarm in the morning. What do programs recommend? Is it really a good strategy to just plant your ass on the couch and wait for people to bring you stuff?

She did the same thing when she got back from that fancy Malibu rehab. She was supposed to go to outpatient therapy and rehab once or twice a week when she returned from California and we saw her in an episode telling Crystal that she was supposed to go but blew it off because she didn't want to drive 56 minutes on the freeway to get there, wth? What else was she doing with her time? She only saw Leah a couple times a week. Of course we know she was getting high.

ETA: I don't think she's getting high now, but I think she has a lot of anxiety issues and maybe has social anxiety which is why she doesn't do much outside of her house -- not excusing her though. If she would push herself a little bit and try to get into a routine that forces herself to spend less time sitting on her couch she would be motivated to do a little more.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 1

Having had personal experience with addicts in  my life, the most important thing one must do after rehab is to enter into some kind of therapy to deal with the issue(s) that caused one to fall into addiction in the first place. The norm is for the addict to see someone on a weekly basis after rehab. Second, a healthy environment is a must. Amber should not be around people that can cause her to relapse. That would mean cutting off people who themselves have addiction issues. Amber needs sober friends. If Amber is doing the same things as before, doing the same routines - sitting around, eating on the couch, doing nothing - then chances are she will feel stress and anxiety. She is not doing anything to help her mentally keep busy. Being a big lump on the couch allows her mind to focus on the things that are likely to cause her to become angry and irritated. Amber should really be in a support group, but her excuse is she won't have anonymity which is a fucking joke. Her whole life has played out on camera and now the bitch wants anonymity.

Amber should be getting a job, getting herself in school or at the very least, she could volunteer somewhere to keep her mind busy and build her self-worth. I really think she needs to focus on getting a job that pays her money so she can learn how to earn a real income and the good feeling that comes with not having to rely on MTV. To me, MTV is like welfare in that it becomes a never-ending cycle. MTV money in some ways is like an addiction in that these girls just cannot cut themselves off from it. And yet, they slam Farrah for her porn career and sex-related ventures. At least Farrah is earning a legit income without relying on child support and knowing her MTV days won't last forever.  It is not Farrah who is not paying her rent or mortgage. It is not Farrah who has another child in order to keep a guy around and to keep her job on MTV.

Not all teen mothers follow the same path in life. Farrah took a different path, but is it any different than a girl who may have resorted to working at a strip club to survive while raising a child alone? I think if Maci found herself in such a predicament where she would have to care for her child without any family to help her, she'd be the first one to work at such a place if it meant having to pay rent and feed her child. My problem with Maci is that she is relying on a guy to take care of her and her needs. I really hate her slut-shaming of Farrah which is really her slut-shaming any female who may turn to those kind of jobs or careers because they have no choice sometimes. Maci is no different than Farrah.

• Love 3
(edited)

The expression in AA is "into action." It is used to describe working the steps, but it is also used to describe how people should be living their lives and not sitting around thinking all the time.

If Amber had a sponsor, I would bet this person would be encouraging her to do SOMETHING. All that free time isn't good, sitting around thinking with the same mind that helped you become an addict. Not even a reprieve from it by going to a meeting each day. Amber is on a BAD path. It's only a matter of time before she uses.

Source: many meetings, I will have 12 years sober on 6/7.

Edited by Elizabeth9
  • Love 10

Congratulations Elizabeth!  I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I have always felt that the mindset of "once an addict ALWAYS an addict" is a defeatist attitude.  If you have not done drugs in 12 years?  You are sober! Just because someone was weak at one time (due to many factors), does not mean they will all relapse.  I come from a family of addicts (mostly alcohol), and many used the excuse that since they would never fully recover, relapse was inevitable.  It was expected.  To which I say bullshit.  Many recover and never touch drugs or alcohol again. 

• Love 3

Thanks. I can honestly say it's much easier to do when you're working a program. It offers an additional level of support. Amber doesn't seem to have a whole lot of support in her life. It would be good for her to have that.

Can someone help me out with the timeline? One week "Ambie" was crying about not having anyone who cares about her, and then in the next episode she's showing off her secret boyfriend.

• Love 3
(edited)

The expression in AA is "into action." It is used to describe working the steps, but it is also used to describe how people should be living their lives and not sitting around thinking all the time.

If Amber had a sponsor, I would bet this person would be encouraging her to do SOMETHING. All that free time isn't good, sitting around thinking with the same mind that helped you become an addict. Not even a reprieve from it by going to a meeting each day. Amber is on a BAD path. It's only a matter of time before she uses.

Source: many meetings, I will have 12 years sober on 6/7.

Congratulations! That's awesome! My sober date is 12/29/95. Coming up on 20 years.

Amber seems to think that because she isn't using at the moment she's fine. I often tell people that getting clean is the easy part. Staying clean in the bitch.

I've said here before that Amber using the anonymity excuse is bullshit. There is a rock and roll icon that comes to the meetings I chair when the band plays the big venue in my town. He has been very public about his addictions. He gets the same anonymity as anybody. People don't rush to our meetings when the band is in town hoping to see him because nobody talks about him being here. He shares his stories like the rest of us and I have never seen anybody ask for an autograph or picture.

This is a name that everybody knows and has for decades so Amber's excuse is bullshit.

I see relapse in her future.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 7
(edited)

Thanks.

Amber's problem is she always has an excuse. The drive was too long for her to go to outpatient, so she never went. Now she can't go to NA or AA.

Edited by Elizabeth9
  • Love 3

Omg. Lol. I laughed so hard at this. Everything is much more interesting than Amber

• Love 1

Congratulations! That's awesome! My sober date is 12/29/95. Coming up on 20 years.

Amber seems to think that because she isn't using at the moment she's fine. I often tell people that getting clean is the easy part. Staying clean in the bitch.

I've said here before that Amber using the anonymity excuse is bullshit. There is a rock and roll icon that comes to the meetings I chair when the band plays the big venue in my town. He has been very public about his addictions. He gets the same anonymity as anybody. People don't rush to our meetings when the band is in town hoping to see him because nobody talks about him being here. He shares his stories like the rest of us and I have never seen anybody ask for an autograph or picture.

This is a name that everybody knows and has for decades so Amber's excuse is bullshit.

I see relapse in her future.

I really don't want to defend Amber but, I kind of see where she is coming from here. It's a small town. Her house was vandalized to the point of not being able to have her daughter there. I wouldn't exactly be wanting to sit in a group either. Not when I'm expected to open my heart and out my inner most thoughts, anyway.

She could be seeing a therapist/friend/doctor, in private, though. She does need the support. I just see where a group might not be the best thing for her.

• Love 1

Congratulations Elizabeth9! Good for you on your sobriety.

Word to your entire post too. Well said.

She can share what she wants in the group. Most people keep it general in the room and save the personal stuff for their sponsor.

Exactly.

It isn't as if Amber has to spill every single detail. Still, I am failing to see how going to group might cause people to vandalize her home? I think those asshats who vandalized her home did so because of her behavior towards Gary (being abusive) or, she was being harassed by some shady people within her circle of addiction. Amber had some questionable people in her life, mainly guys. Speaking of which, isn't being on this show and having some creep around her daughter currently, a cause for concern? If someone went after her because of her behavior back then, certainly repeating those same bad behaviors aren't going to help her. I will not put blame on AA or any post-rehab group as a cause for her to be leery of attending because of her bad choices in the past. If she is not making the same choices, there shouldn't be a problem.

Maharincess, I attended Al-Anon years ago when I had to deal with some people in my life who were addicts.  I was at a loss at how to deal with them.  I actually mentioned this on one of the RHoBH threads when discussing Kim Richards. There was a former child actor who was part of the group. He is very well-known. He is friends with Kim Richards. No one bothered him about his career, his private life, the things he spilled to us, which was quite shocking at times, but as a group, we respected him opening his inner soul to us and revealing so much of his life. He didn't have to do that at all. It wasn't required for him to do so, but he did it to help those of us who were trying to deal with the addicts in our lives. I respect him for that and would never reveal the things he mentioned.

If there was a security issue, I think Amber would have mentioned it, but all she said was, her attending wouldn't be anonymous. Well, maybe, maybe not. She doesn't know who will be there in the group. Some people may not know her. But if there are those who do, and if they are as serious with their rehab as Amber should be, they could care less about "Teen Mom Amber" being part of the group. They have more important things to work on.

• Love 3

She can share what she wants in the group. Most people keep it general in the room and save the personal stuff for their sponsor.

Which doesn't always work out well. Not all sponsors are on the up and up. Just sayin.

(edited)

In my experience, most of them are. I can't think of one instance where someone's sponsor told their personal business. In any event, you pick your own sponsor based on what is important to you, so hopefully shed pick carefully In her situation.

Edited by Elizabeth9
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well, some sponsors are not legit. I don't know why Amber doesn't commit. But I can say having a sponsor take their hand up your thigh while driving them home, might turn a person off. It happens. She may not feel safe. Again, I don't know but it's not unheard of, either.

I think she just doesn't have a safe space.

Edited by MissMel
  • Love 2