Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Grab A Bottle

• Start Topic

On 2/2/2017 at 11:13 AM, Birdee said:

The trailer couple gets even better

Hide contents

They spend all of the dad's savings on a horse she's always wanted but doesn't know how to take care of. She's scared of it and they put the horse in a tiny back yard. THEN they realise they can't take care of it and return in. 

I swear to God, when I read that I thought you were talking about Cate. Then I read up farther and saw you weren't. 

• Love 5
On 2/27/2017 at 6:45 PM, FairyDusted said:

Well Hell I didn't even see this thread. I hit TM2 more frequently I guess. Sending out love and fairy dust to alllll. @mamadrama how's your household fairing?

We're hanging in there. My son is actually doing okay being homeschooled. He has some pretty perky days and I think he's slowly healing. My daughter, she's five, ended up with mono as well but it doesn't seem to be as severe as his. Money is incredibly tight and we've had some pretty scary moments but it's slowly looking up again. Thank you for asking! :-)

• Love 2
18 hours ago, mamadrama said:

We're hanging in there. My son is actually doing okay being homeschooled. He has some pretty perky days and I think he's slowly healing. My daughter, she's five, ended up with mono as well but it doesn't seem to be as severe as his. Money is incredibly tight and we've had some pretty scary moments but it's slowly looking up again. Thank you for asking! :-)

ohhh poor little lady.  my boy-child got mono at the age of NINETEEN & I stayed home from work to wait on him hand & foot, I felt so badly for him!!!  glad everyone's feeling better!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

No, how were you notified?

When I tried to sign in. I did not get that notification on my device. Something about PTV needing to change passwords for those with AOL accounts. I have had my email account since 2003

5 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

When I tried to sign in. I did not get that notification on my device. Something about PTV needing to change passwords for those with AOL accounts. I have had my email account since 2003

Ahhhh. I don't have AOL , and  I don't sign out, lol. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

Like I pointed out, I have had AOL since 2003. I won't switch over to something else when I have my work and personal stuff all going to that email. It it ain't broke...

I don't blame you. I have rocketmail forever. They are now handled by yahoo,  but my address is still rocketmail.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I don't blame you. I have rocketmail forever. They are now handled by yahoo,  but my address is still rocketmail.

I am not alone! lol  I just don't see the need to change an email address. If I switched over to something else, most definitely I won't be able to use my particular name in my email address because surely it will have been taken. 

This is the message I received from the administrator:

The message was if you need to CHANGE your password, you'll have to email me because AOL accounts are no longer allowed for the registration process(es).

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:21 PM, GreatKazu said:

Like I pointed out, I have had AOL since 2003. I won't switch over to something else when I have my work and personal stuff all going to that email. It it ain't broke...

same here...but...1996...when I would ride my dinosaur to the library to partake of the internet sign-up sheet for a half hour to check my email

• Love 4
4 hours ago, teapot said:

same here...but...1996...when I would ride my dinosaur to the library to partake of the internet sign-up sheet for a half hour to check my email

Damn, remember those days? I can still hear the AOL dial-up sound. I remember telling my husband, "Do we really need a computer?" back in 2000. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, GreatKazu said:

Damn, remember those days? I can still hear the AOL dial-up sound. I remember telling my husband, "Do we really need a computer?" back in 2000. 

and we used to have to BUY an AOL start-up CD!!!

I also remember once Mister & I were at a hotel in Fishkill, NY for some concert...and afterwards we went to their media center so that we could go online...the internet was such an exotic bird once upon a time!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teapot said:

and we used to have to BUY an AOL start-up CD!!!

I also remember once Mister & I were at a hotel in Fishkill, NY for some concert...and afterwards we went to their media center so that we could go online...the internet was such an exotic bird once upon a time!!

I remember when those AOL CDs came in the mail. I had a bunch of them in my desk here for the longest time. I should have saved one for some time capsule. 

I remember my old AOL home page and how I used to love to change it up. That is so old school. The only time I use AOL, as I mentioned, is for my email, nothing more. 

A month ago my husband tried to talk me into buying a printer with fax capabilities. In five years I may be regretting saying no. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 1

When I took over this job I cleaned out a bunch of stuff and threw out a HUGE stack of those CDs. I have a few older ladies who work for me and they were so upset that I was throwing them out I had to wait until they were out to lunch to do it! They were convinced we might need them to reinstall the Internet in case it went down!

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Birdee said:

When I took over this job I cleaned out a bunch of stuff and threw out a HUGE stack of those CDs. I have a few older ladies who work for me and they were so upset that I was throwing them out I had to wait until they were out to lunch to do it! They were convinced we might need them to reinstall the Internet in case it went down!

lol  You are on a roll today. First, the paper-view comment and now this. OMG too funny. 

I remember having to pay $19.95 a month for AOL. Now, no one wants it. 

• Love 1

Thanks! It's a slow week at work so I've got a lot of time to creep on Facebook and hang out here. And clean out stuff at work and throw it away in dumpsters around town so the ladies up front don't freak about me throwing away receipts from 1997. 

Edited by Birdee
  • Love 3

Have any of you seen the show "My Baby's Having a Baby"?  It's on the OWN network, but I think it may be only on in Canada.   A mix of girls and their moms, so you get that perspective.  Some of the mothers were young mothers themselves.  But one of the girls is 14 when we first meet her and turns 15 by the time the baby is born.    The mom is 34!   

Anyway, it's interesting and no one is trying to sell a clothing line! 

For some reason the age of a grandparent seems more shocking to me than the teen mom ages. Maybe because we're so used to teen moms now? I dunno. I'm 33 and have a 9-month-old and one of my high school classmates is about to be a granddad. It's just crazy how different people's lives can be at the same age.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Birdee said:

For some reason the age of a grandparent seems more shocking to me than the teen mom ages. Maybe because we're so used to teen moms now? I dunno. I'm 33 and have a 9-month-old and one of my high school classmates is about to be a granddad. It's just crazy how different people's lives can be at the same age.

So true!  Whenever the moms and daughters are introduced on that show you always see their names and ages.  I'm always doing the math!  One of the moms has a baby not much older than her grandbaby!

I found out via Facebook that a woman from my high school class is on her 7th or 8th grandkid.  Granted, she was 18 and pregnant and probably about 8 months at our graduation.  But I'm still trying to do the math on that one.  Another woman from my class congratulated me on my engagement while telling me she was getting a divorce!  We were both 33 at the time!  Here I was, just getting started on marriage, and here she was, getting divorced after ten years and three kids.   

I can see this with Maci in ten years.  I also see her as young grandma.  Cate, too.

Also, I adopted my daughter in my mid 40s. My girl is in kindergarten and my college friends are dealing with college applications and high school proms!  Oy!

• Love 4
On 4/24/2017 at 2:43 PM, GreatKazu said:

Me too, and I thought I must be close to the last one

I think some of the regulars here are fans of the old "Roseanne" program -- I just saw an article that they're doing a followup show with the original cast -- and both Beckys -- and John Goodman. 

• Love 7
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:34 PM, lidarose9 said:

I think some of the regulars here are fans of the old "Roseanne" program -- I just saw an article that they're doing a followup show with the original cast -- and both Beckys -- and John Goodman. 

Isn't that great news? We can now watch Roseanne and find new connections to the Teen Moms with our snark. LOL

I have a question about Florida for anyone who can help me.

We are planning a future trip to the east coast. We have been to Florida in the past and we have visited beaches on the gulf coast. Very beautiful and great warm waters. My question is do the beaches on the Atlantic coast have warm waters as well? What if we go in August? We might be headed out near Cape Canaveral area FYI.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SPLAIN said:

Isn't that great news? We can now watch Roseanne and find new connections to the Teen Moms with our snark. LOL

I have a question about Florida for anyone who can help me.

We are planning a future trip to the east coast. We have been to Florida in the past and we have visited beaches on the gulf coast. Very beautiful and great warm waters. My question is do the beaches on the Atlantic coast have warm waters as well? What if we go in August? We might be headed out near Cape Canaveral area FYI.

I'm in Florida and yes the beaches in the Atlantic coast have warm waters. However, keep in mind that we're expecting a bad hurricane season this summer.

On 5/17/2017 at 9:34 PM, lidarose9 said:

Yes!!! I love the Roseanne show, almost as much as I love Lucy!!

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Calm81 said:

I'm in Florida and yes the beaches in the Atlantic coast have warm waters. However, keep in mind that we're expecting a bad hurricane season this summer.

Yes!!! I love the Roseanne show, almost as much as I love Lucy!!

Oh not this summer. It might be next year or the year after.  

So, both coasts have warm water? Thank you. Are there any beaches you can recommend? 

Edited by SPLAIN

The east coast has warm water but the water gets prettier the further south you go.  St. Augustine and Palm Coast are our favorite areas to drive for a day trip.  Washington Oaks Gardens State Park is beautiful!  It's not the best for lounging and swimming but it's so much fun seeing all the nature there.  The water can get a little rough depending on the tide but just sitting on the coquina formations  and watching the turtles swim, finding shells, playing in the shallow pools, etc., is awesome.  Just across the road is the beautiful gardens and trails and the Matanzas River.  Ormond Beach is just north of Daytona, but it's a more family-friendly version.  We've done a day trip to NASA but that was a little too far for a day drive.  We didn't get to see much other than NASA, which is very fun.  We're in the Jacksonville-ish area so that's about as far south as we've been.  

One day before I die I want to stay on the east coast to watch the sunrise and then drive to the west to watch it set.  I don't really enjoy ocean front rooms so we always get a south facing room.  The ocean view rooms are exactly what they sound like-you might be able to see a whole bunch of cars and buildings and if you lean out far enough on the balcony?  You might catch a glimpse of little bit of ocean water.  

Hope that helps out some.  :)

On 5/27/2017 at 3:13 PM, SPLAIN said:

Oh not this summer. It might be next year or the year after.  

So, both coasts have warm water? Thank you. Are there any beaches you can recommend? 

We have a vacation house on Jekyll Island. They have beautiful beaches with few toutists. St Simons is next door and it also has a nice beach and lots of history. If you are interested, I wrote a paranormal mystery about Jekyll. I included a lot of local lore. It is a ghost story. With all of that info, you can probably find it. ? I am partial to the barrier islands because of the history and scenery.

I love Florida. I could do without the humidity in the summer. The worst humidity ever!

@ChicagoChris to answer your question about tapings, I have attended some tapings for sitcom pilots that never made it to television. I have attended various talk show tapings. My first one was back in the late 1980s. I had a chance to attend a taping of the Price is Right, but I didn't want to have to deal with standing in a line early in the morning. Many people actually get there at 4 in the morning. Ugh. Not my thing. 

• Love 2

My uncle was on The Price is Right.  He won a Jeep.  It was funny.  The show actually tells you to NOT give out identifying details.  This was back in the late 80's, early 90's.  Bob Barker actually asked him, "Where do you come from?" "I live around L.A." "What do you do in L.A.?" "I work there."

He was a COP.  Not exactly something to admit to on tv.  Lol

• Love 1
On 30/05/2017 at 3:03 PM, mamadrama said:

We have a vacation house on Jekyll Island. They have beautiful beaches with few toutists. St Simons is next door and it also has a nice beach and lots of history. If you are interested, I wrote a paranormal mystery about Jekyll. I included a lot of local lore. It is a ghost story. With all of that info, you can probably find it. ? I am partial to the barrier islands because of the history and scenery.

I took your advice and looked it up and now can't wait to read it! It sounds right up my alley.

• Love 1
On 6/3/2017 at 1:15 AM, monicageller said:

I took your advice and looked it up and now can't wait to read it! It sounds right up my alley.

It is an easy place to write about. Jekyll has a fascinating history: pirates, slave ships, war, plantations, and mansions for the glitterati. The stuff writes itself. And thank you.

• Love 1

There doesn't seem to be a media thread, but this probably is better served on its own anyway, since we will all be calling bull! It was linked from another link from somewhere here that I clicked on days ago, and now can't remember where I got it to give proper attrition. 

This is an opinion piece posted in the New York Times back in 2014 discussing how 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom lowers teen birth rates. The author, Nicholas Kristof, includes some statistics in his article, and also included some facts about how television has addressed other social changes, such as:

A careful study by Robert Jensen of the University of California, Los Angeles, and Emily Oster of the University of Chicago found that before television arrived in Indian villages, traditional attitudes ruled: Women had to get a man’s permission to leave the house, and 62 percent of women said it was acceptable for husbands to beat wives. Then villagers watched Indian soap operas with middle-class urban families in which women aren’t beaten and leave the home freely. These norms infiltrated the village, and the arrival of television turned out to be equivalent, in nurturing more egalitarian attitudes, to five years of female education.

The master of injecting causes into storytelling is Neal Baer, the television producer behind “ER” and “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.” Baer, a doctor who helps lead the Global Media Center for Social Impact at U.C.L.A.’s school of public health, wove issues like vaccination and rape-kit testing into his shows, raising awareness in ways that no news program could. Polling showed that one “ER” episode about cervical cancer doubled the audience’s awareness of links between the human papillomavirus and cervical cancer.

I don't want to post the entire article, because the links will be broken and it's worth a read on it's own, but do want to post these tidbits about this show to keep it on topic: 

Tweets containing the words “birth control” increased by 23 percent on the day after each new episode of “16 and Pregnant,” according to an analysis by Melissa Kearney of the University of Maryland and Phillip B. Levine of Wellesley College. Those tweets, in turn, correlate to increased Google searches along the lines of “how get birth control pills.”

But here’s the good news: Teenage birthrates have plunged by 52 percent since 1991 — one of America’s great social policy successes, coming even as inequality and family breakdown have worsened. The steady drop in teenage births accelerated greatly beginning in 2009, when MTV began airing “16 and Pregnant.”

He also acknowledges how other things play a part, like teenagers having a chance at college are less likely to become pregnant, which makes sense to me. Also, how availability of birth control is a huge factor, which seems obvious, yet apparently isn't to everyone. He doesn't mention, however, the teens who were trying to get pregnant to get ON the show, which is why 16 and Pregnant went on hiatus in the first place. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Christina said:

He doesn't mention, however, the teens who were trying to get pregnant to get ON the show, which is why 16 and Pregnant went on hiatus in the first place. 

teens are incredibly short-sighted!  That's almost like the Gloucester pact, where a bunch of girls got pregnant in high school, thinking of how much fun it'd be to be teen moms together.

http://www.marieclaire.com/politics/news/a2055/teenage-pregnancy-pact-gloucester/

A baby is a human being, and a lifetime commitment. Imagine getting pregnant to be on TV, not getting anywhere with it, and having to accommodate your whole life based on that?

• Love 2

Venting time!

I hate Windows 10! 

I was given a new computer for my birthday a while back. Yes, I love the computer, but not Windows 10. I have had to get online help with certain things. It is just annoying.

• Love 1

Windows 10 is awful. My computer "forgot" so many things. For example,  the photo editing program, the printer.... And to top it off, I never ok'd the installation,  one day it was just there. It's sitting on my desk, unused. Now I use a tablet, which has it's own issues, but they aren't as frustrating.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Marisagf said:

Windows 10 is a tablet interface for a desktop computer, which makes no sense at all!

Really? I did not know that. 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, ginger90 said:

Windows 10 is awful. My computer "forgot" so many things. For example,  the photo editing program, the printer.... And to top it off, I never ok'd the installation,  one day it was just there. It's sitting on my desk, unused. Now I use a tablet, which has it's own issues, but they aren't as frustrating.

I have a tablet, but I prefer using my PC because it makes it easier to read and I do all my work on my PC than I ever will on my tablet. The tablet is what I use when I am taking long trips or when I will be somewhere and I need to keep entertained such as a hospital waiting room.

I kept reading and hearing people mention their annoyance with Windows 10. It made me happy to continue using Windows XP or whatever the last version it was I had. I don't even know. I just know it worked great! This Microsoft Edge/Windows 10 makes me feel like I am a beginner on the computer. I have to get used to new settings, how to change things, having to contact someone online to get them to get rid of the welcome sign-on screen, which is ridiculous. I didn't have to do that with the old Windows. 

• Love 2

I will jump on the Windows 10 hate bus! I have it at work and it's the worst! My computer was running Windows 7, which I loved, and I kept ignoring the prompt to download 10.  I was actually proud of myself for being able to ignore it for so long...months and months!  I came to work one day and my computer is running 10. My boss says, "oh yeah, I accidentally updated your computer..." 

• Love 2

I agree about Windows 10- I hate it! I've been getting a message the past couple of weeks that says Windows 10 will be updated soon, check your security settings. I keep hitting the remind me later button and remain in denial about this imminent update. Has anyone received this update message? There may be a way I can avoid this update but I don't want to deal with it so I have not looked into it.

For those of you who have not had Windows 10 installed and do not want it installed, I read somewhere that you can opt out of the Windows 10 installation. It's too late for me but you can yourselves before it is installed!  I'll try to find the link.

• Love 1

My dad and I each installed the update on Wednesday.  He said it took an hour on his, but he has an actual Dell laptop.  I have a Surface.  My install probably took about 15 minutes.  I love Windows 10.  Again, I have a Surface so maybe that's why?  I use the keyboard most of the time but I take it off and just use a mouse when I take it into the kitchen for a recipe or to watch a show while cooking and cleaning.  I use touch or the stylus randomly, keyboard or not.  I'd be lost on a computer now and haven't even charged my iPad in months.  It's the best of both worlds for me.

I pretty much know nothing about these things though, since my oldest son took over our tech responsibilities years ago. Lol

(edited)
21 hours ago, saratothej said:

I will jump on the Windows 10 hate bus! I have it at work and it's the worst! My computer was running Windows 7, which I loved, and I kept ignoring the prompt to download 10.  I was actually proud of myself for being able to ignore it for so long...months and months!  I came to work one day and my computer is running 10. My boss says, "oh yeah, I accidentally updated your computer..." 

Damn boss! 

Now, I can't print. Microsoft Edge doesn't recognize my printer. It did when I first got the computer. I can print using Paint or printing using Firefox. This is pissing me off. I have a scheduled call later on to get help online. This is so damn frustrating. 

Edited by GreatKazu

You can download a program that is essentially a Windows 7 skin for Windows 10. It makes your computer look like Windows 7 (aka normal Windows). I'm nap trapped under a sleeping baby (only two more weeks of leave ?) and on my phone so I can't look it up now, but I have it installed on my work computer and it is sooo much better. The Windows 10 interface sucks. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Faul McCartney said:

You can download a program that is essentially a Windows 7 skin for Windows 10. It makes your computer look like Windows 7 (aka normal Windows). I'm nap trapped under a sleeping baby (only two more weeks of leave ?) and on my phone so I can't look it up now, but I have it installed on my work computer and it is sooo much better. The Windows 10 interface sucks. 

Take care of yourself and your baby. :) Try and enjoy as much as you can until you have to go back to work. 

Thanks for the information!! I had no idea. I just Googled and came upon various links.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

Take care of yourself and your baby. :) Try and enjoy as much as you can until you have to go back to work. 

Thanks for the information!! I had no idea. I just Googled and came upon various links.

Thanks ? We're flying cross country for a week at my in laws, then one week at home getting used to the nanny. I'm lucky enough to mostly work from home, so I think the change will be good. It's just hard to believe it's coming to an end!

• Love 1
(edited)

Ok @GreatKazu, what would you like to know about my NWA days?  (Wrestling, not rap.  Lol)  I was 15/16 and my best friend's mom worked for a local tv station here, in the advertising department.  She got a call one day, the promoters needed ring attendants.  Two girls.  She asked how old they had to be.  It didn't matter but if the match was televised, they needed parental consent if under 18.  And we had to wear skimpy clothes and high heels.  She said, "I got two girls perfect for this."  Now this sounds like a really strange thing but it really wasn't.  My friend and I knew what reality versus show looked like because her mom had just retired from the Rockettes.  Plus her Dad would being driving us to each event.  Her Dad looked like he used to be featured on America's Most Wanted every week.  Seriously.  That man scared the crap out every guy that ever showed up to date us.  

Anyway, we worked the NWA events in town.  Once in a while, WWF would cross over.  This was before it turned into WWE and if it's called something different now?  I have no idea.  Seeing it 'behind the scenes' made it not fun to watch on tv anymore.  I have seen Sting take a shower though.  That was fun.  And Flyin' Brian asked us to go to the bar with him.  To keep the girls off of him.  He was covered in scar tissue.  That was an interesting conversation about his accident.  There was also a big guy that wore scrubs and the kids would throw him teddy bears.  He was the sweetest man ever.  He would toss footballs with the wrestlers' kids backstage, on Tuesdays.  One night, I had a 4 or 5 year old little boy come up to me, with his Mom, and asked me to give him a teddy bear for him because he wasn't big enough to throw it in the ring yet.  I told him no and to wait right there for a minute.  I brought the wrestler out to get the bear himself.  It was the cutest thing ever.  

Rick Flair was my pretend tv boyfriend back then.  He crushed that fantasy pretty quick.  Nothing bad but his costumes ALWAYS snagged my pantyhose.  Always.  And security (Russ and David) would never let us go to the bathroom without clearing it out first.  It was a pain in the ass to change clothes.  And for some reason, Rick thought it was fun to pull us into the ring.  We were 15, in high heels.  Jumping through ropes wasn't exactly easy.

Cactus Jack was the most excellent.  He would take a shower after his match and sneak up behind us let his wet hair drip on us.  We brought our boyfriends one night and he asked where they were sitting.  (They were on the balcony behind and above us.  Her Dad always sat right to the left of us, near the floor.)  He snuck up the back stairs and sat with our boyfriends.  And dripped water on us from the balcony.  He was awesome.  He and her dad always talked back stage.  

There was also the twins? brothers?  I don't remember exactly.  They were from Michigan and always wore actual singlets and head gear.  One of them was quiet and the other seemed like a huge jerk on tv.  They both were extremely polite and very personable, in person.  NOTHING like they came off like on tv.  

We sat on the left side walk to the ring.  The "good guys" walked out on the right, the "bad guys" walked out on left.  The "good" always came out first so when the "bad" walked, so did we.  One night, and it was televised, the biggest asshole dickweed I ever met was wrestling.  That SOB looked dead at me in my eyes and flicked his shirt, just out of my reach.  I took one step and snatched it up, in the air, and didn't even make it the rest of the way around the ring.  I was so pissed.  Russ laughed at me and told me to calm down.  Which, only pissed me off more.  "Melinda, it's just pretend and you made it good tv!  Did you hear the crowd? They loved it.  They hate him more now! It was great!"  Good Russ, thanks.  I'm gonna need an extra bonus in my pay envelope tonight because I wasn't pretending.  Let me catch him back here-we're gonna have some words.

Back to her Dad, The America's Most Wanted looking guy.  He always, always, sat in the section just to our left and little bit in front.  He could always see us and we could always see him.  Well, one night, that section had a problem.  It was hard to see what was happening but something was.  I smacked her on her arm and said, "That's your dad."  We grabbed security and went up the back stairs to him.  Apparently there were two drunk guys near him, getting particularly vulgar about us.  He informed them that we were his daughters and we were underage and he would appreciate it if they didn't talk about us like that because there was no way in hell they were ever going to meet us.  They didn't believe him.  So what did he do?  Whipped out his wallet and showed them our school pictures.  I'm still not even sure which embarrassed me more.  The fact that he was arguing with these drunken fools or that he showed them our 9th grade school pictures!  We didn't have to walk through that nasty ass parking lot that night, though.  That man had his car pulled up right against the back door, smoking a cigarette.  A couple of the wrestlers and security walked us out and said, "Damn.  Who needs us when you two have a dad that looks like that?  I wouldn't fuck with him."  

Haha, again, that man wasn't really that scary.  He just looked like he was.  I promise, I never saw him eat puppies, or small children, for breakfast.  He ate eggs and pancakes like most people do.  And bacon sometimes.

Good lawd I just posted a wall of words from the wayback machine.  Lol

Edited by MissMel
  • Love 8