Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Grab A Bottle

• Start Topic

Thanks @LBS. Oh, I definitely will take it easy. At my age, having bronchitis can easily turn into something worse. The toxic air, fire smoke, ash, and all the particles from the big fire near my area is what got me sick. Not wearing a mask when I ventured outdoors was my mistake. 

I am sorry for the cold weather you all are experiencing. I hope it passes quickly.

14 hours ago, LBS said:

@ghoulina It's freezing balls here too.  I'm SO sick of it.   The high was 12 today and the weekend is getting colder for the long weekend.    Oh well.  I'm way past the age of dressing up cute on NYE to impress people.  I'll be wearing my Star War jammies with my husband on the couch and probably asleep by 11 pm. 

The high tomorrow is supposed to be -5. The HIGH. With the windchill factor, our low should be around -34. Good times. NYE so isn't a thing with us. We'll probably read or catch up on the Vikings episodes we've got stacking up in the DVR. 

• Love 5
On 11/12/2017 at 11:27 PM, mamadrama said:

Dosage, the amount of time you've been taking both substances, and body chemistry will have an affect on tolerance and drug interactions. Still, it helps to be on the safe side. Cutting back a few days before surgery won't hurt much and might help. There are lots of posts about this over on Reddit in the Kratom sub from people who have had similar experiences. It's good that the substances don't interact negatively for you but they do for others (including myself). 

I don't mix my powder with anything but water. I pour just a little bit of hot water straight from the tap , I don't boil, and mix just enough so that it's liquid and not quite sludge. Then I drink the whole thing in 2 or three big gulps. 

I order a kilo at a time. There are three vendors that I switch between because one has a better green, one has a good red, etc. I generally keep several kilos in stock because someone is always having a sale. 

I have a few different You Tube channels but the one where I talk about my kratom use and demonstrate the different ways of drinking it definitely get the most views. Two years ago, I averaged about 10-15 views a week. After the whole mess with the DEA last fall, kratom got more attention and then it seemed like people were coming out of the woodwork to try it. I now average around 200 views a day. I'm glad. Those with chronic pain, anxiety, etc, looking for different ways to manage their symptoms often have better luck with kratom than with prescription medicines. I will eventually have to have my morphine pump implanted again but I am holding off for as long as I can. I am a big advocate of using opiods and benzos to treat legitimate health issues but, for me, they were causing symptoms that were worse than the pain. Although I am now physically dependent upon kratom and go through mild withdrawal without it, it's still better than the other things I've been on for the past 10 years (not to mention cheaper). 

Which vendor do you use now that many of the online places can’t process debit/credit cards?

I had no Idea there were so many Kratom users on this board. It’s a shame when they take the miracle plant away seeing as how much It helps people live their lives to the fullest without fillers being added with tons of side effects and a large pharmaceutical bill.

Edited by Calm81
  • Love 3
On 11/28/2017 at 2:36 AM, JuliesMommy said:

Guilty AF!!! Ive been looking thru this forum all day, waiting for someone to bring it up!! I even went on the "floribama shore" thread...and nothing! Lol

i watched it, not impressed at all...will sadly watch it again...

Don't feel too bad, JuliesMommy.  I've been watching Doug and Jamie Plus One and checking for a forum for that.  Nothing that I can find.  (For anyone who's not "in the know" about Doug/Jamie, they are the from season 1 of Married at First Sight - they're one of the three couples (out of 12?) who are still together.)

On 6/25/2017 at 11:56 PM, mamadrama said:

Someone killed my dog today. I live out in the country. It's nearly 30 minutes to town. Everyone on my road has at least 5 acres, some people have hundreds. I've been here for 10 years and everyone knows my dog. She is an inside dog for the most part but, as a farm dog, she also roams the property. My husband went out for a run today and let her out. She usually goes with him but this time, after about 5 minutes, she fell behind and went back home. When he returned, she was in the yard. Her poor little head was bashed in and her neck was twisted. She was covered in blood. I don't know what happened. There is no blood or skid marks on the road to indicate that someone hit her. We've been harassed in the past for our differences when it comes to politics and religion. No idea if that has anything to do with this. We've been trying to move to our vacation property permanently for awhile now. However, we are heavily in debt from medical bills (around $60,000-70,000 at the moment but it fluctuates each month). We don't want to sell our house and can't afford to make any big changes until that gets settled. I love where I live. I am from this area and it's a beautiful place. My community is generally good to me. However, we are isolated in so many different ways-none of them geographically. I feel like this was our final sign. The kids are heartbroken and I have cried all day. She was the sweetest dog. Slept in our beds at night and went on vacations with us. Bastards. 

I couldn't finish your post.  The first line made me sob.  I am so sorry, so very sorry.  Cruel people like that -- I pray the devil is the first face he sees when he dies.  And I hope someone makes his death a torturous, agonizing experience.  He deserves all that, and more.  

• Love 2
On 12/29/2017 at 0:09 PM, Calm81 said:

Which vendor do you use now that many of the online places can’t process debit/credit cards?

I had no Idea there were so many Kratom users on this board. It’s a shame when they take the miracle plant away seeing as how much It helps people live their lives to the fullest without fillers being added with tons of side effects and a large pharmaceutical bill.

Sorry, just now seeing this. I haven't had any trouble with the credit card issue. I just got an order in from Botanical Bunny. They take credit cards and also offer Amazon Pay. Arcadica is another one that I use regularly, as is Gaia (although I hate their shipping/processing times). All of those still take credit cards. Herbal RVA is one that I just ordered from today. They're having a kilo split 4 ways for $64 right now so I stocked up. I go through about a kilo a month. 

• Love 1
On 12/29/2017 at 0:42 PM, StayingAfterSunday said:

Don't feel too bad, JuliesMommy.  I've been watching Doug and Jamie Plus One and checking for a forum for that.  Nothing that I can find.  (For anyone who's not "in the know" about Doug/Jamie, they are the from season 1 of Married at First Sight - they're one of the three couples (out of 12?) who are still together.)

I couldn't finish your post.  The first line made me sob.  I am so sorry, so very sorry.  Cruel people like that -- I pray the devil is the first face he sees when he dies.  And I hope someone makes his death a torturous, agonizing experience.  He deserves all that, and more.  

God, I am still grieving for that dog. She was the sweetest, most perfect dog. I miss her so much and so do the kids. She was a rescue. My friend was going down the interstate and saw someone literally throw her from a car. She picked her up and then posted her picture on FB, asking if anyone wanted her. My daughter and I drove over to meet her and it was love at first sight. There are no words to describe what I'd like to do to the person who killed her. She had the best smile and prettiest eyes. I hope they're haunting the shit out of someone right now. 

lucy 2.jpg

lucy 1 a.jpg

• Love 2
On 1/9/2018 at 7:32 AM, mamadrama said:

God, I am still grieving for that dog. She was the sweetest, most perfect dog. I miss her so much and so do the kids. She was a rescue. My friend was going down the interstate and saw someone literally throw her from a car. She picked her up and then posted her picture on FB, asking if anyone wanted her. My daughter and I drove over to meet her and it was love at first sight. There are no words to describe what I'd like to do to the person who killed her. She had the best smile and prettiest eyes. I hope they're haunting the shit out of someone right now. 

lucy 2.jpg

lucy 1 a.jpg

I’m so sorry. Such evil in this world. 

For those with whom I’ve discussed chronic pain and kratom…

My husband woke me up with bad news this morning and it’s been a sucky day ever since. My aunt, who is 81 and has my medical condition, has been a chronic pain patient for the past 5 years. We were on the same medication but recently her state decided to crack down on pain medication in what I am calling “the war on prescription drugs.” She was removed from her opioids and put on Tylenol 3s. Well, they didn’t work. She was in so much pain that she just kept popping them.

Mom called my husband this morning and told him that Auntie is in critical care with complete organ failure. They took her off life support tonight. It’s not the codeine that got her, it’s the Acetaminophen. They did a blood transfusion, dialysis, etc. but it was just too late. She is not expected to make it to the morning and it’s completely medication based.

Ugh. It’s just ironic that they took her off of the opioid because it was “dangerous” but nobody went over the dangers of Tylenol with her.

Crappy day. She was one of those family members that “got” me. I’ve spent the day trying to put the funds together so that we can drive up to Indiana tonight and see her. She’s not conscious and probably won’t know that I’m there, but I’ll know.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

For those with whom I’ve discussed chronic pain and kratom…

My husband woke me up with bad news this morning and it’s been a sucky day ever since. My aunt, who is 81 and has my medical condition, has been a chronic pain patient for the past 5 years. We were on the same medication but recently her state decided to crack down on pain medication in what I am calling “the war on prescription drugs.” She was removed from her opioids and put on Tylenol 3s. Well, they didn’t work. She was in so much pain that she just kept popping them.

Mom called my husband this morning and told him that Auntie is in critical care with complete organ failure. They took her off life support tonight. It’s not the codeine that got her, it’s the Acetaminophen. They did a blood transfusion, dialysis, etc. but it was just too late. She is not expected to make it to the morning and it’s completely medication based.

Ugh. It’s just ironic that they took her off of the opioid because it was “dangerous” but nobody went over the dangers of Tylenol with her.

Crappy day. She was one of those family members that “got” me. I’ve spent the day trying to put the funds together so that we can drive up to Indiana tonight and see her. She’s not conscious and probably won’t know that I’m there, but I’ll know.

I am so, so sorry. My heart goes out to you. Prayers to you.❤

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

I am so, so sorry. My heart goes out to you. Prayers to you.❤

Thanks I stayed up all night, keeping up with the news. She's breathing on her own but they're not expecting her to make it through the morning. They've got her on a morphine drip because it's apparently a really painful way to die. Just sounds terrible. I hope she was unconscious through most of it. :-(

• Love 2

I teach some online publishing courses and I put one of them on sale yesterday in an attempt to raise some money to get me up there for the funeral. Although she's only taking 6 breaths every minute, and none of her organs are functioning, she IS still alive. Her son, my cousin, says that he's pretty sure that she knows he's in the room. Here it is, 12am, and I am seriously thinking about just getting in the car and driving up there tonight. It's about a 4-hour drive. I didn't think she'd still be alive at this point and just assumed that I was scraping money together for the funeral. If she knows I'm there, though, then I'm feeling like it might be necessary to do this NOW. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I teach some online publishing courses and I put one of them on sale yesterday in an attempt to raise some money to get me up there for the funeral. Although she's only taking 6 breaths every minute, and none of her organs are functioning, she IS still alive. Her son, my cousin, says that he's pretty sure that she knows he's in the room. Here it is, 12am, and I am seriously thinking about just getting in the car and driving up there tonight. It's about a 4-hour drive. I didn't think she'd still be alive at this point and just assumed that I was scraping money together for the funeral. If she knows I'm there, though, then I'm feeling like it might be necessary to do this NOW. 

You do what you feel in your heart. We are here with you in spirit. 

• Love 3

I need a break. I am going to continue our "picture" discussion and take a breather...

Here are some more shots from my town. 

site 4.jpg

site 5.jpg

site 6.jpg

And here are some pictures from our yard. Yeah, we live pretty far "out there." All of those are taken at various angles from my front yard. You can see our barn in the first one. That's my daughter in the last picture. She loves to dance and she was so happy that day-it was fall and a perfect 75 degrees. She's a joyful little thing. 

site 7.jpg

site 8.jpg

site 9.jpg

site 10.jpg

• Love 10

We own a second home on an island in Georgia. We generally spend our summers there. We horseback ride, ride our bikes around the island, and generally just hang out. It's not touristy at all, very low-key. My son took that one of me. Because you made it this far, I added a picture I took of a spider crab on a jellyfish. Just because. 

Okay. I think it's time to head back to the room. I needed a break. Pictures are my stress relievers. 

vaca 1.jpg

vaca 2.jpg

vaca 5.jpg

vaca 6.jpg

vaca 7.jpg

vaca 8.jpg

• Love 6

I am glad you made it to see your grandmother @mamadrama. Try and get some rest if you can. 

Your photos are just amazing. I love those big open spaces. The colors are so vibrant! 

This is Big Sur. Not near my home, but it is on my coast. Pacific Coast Highway is such a beautiful road to drive. I have been to this spot many times. See the waterfall into the ocean? I always have to stop here anytime we are in the area or passing through. 

big sur.jpg

• Love 7

All of these are great pics! I live in western IA, almost NE. I love old towns like that. Mamadrama, you take amazing photos. 

Where I live isn't that grand, but I still love it. Here's a pic from the nature center 8 miles away that the kids and I love to hike in. 

Hitchcock Nature Center.jpg

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

All of these are great pics! I live in western IA, almost NE. I love old towns like that. Mamadrama, you take amazing photos. 

Where I live isn't that grand, but I still love it. Here's a pic from the nature center 8 miles away that the kids and I love to hike in. 

Hitchcock Nature Center.jpg

I'd love to walk around there. It looks like there are no snakes around. I don't care for the trails in our hills, as beautiful as they are, because I fear a snake or two coming out. The kid in me wants to get on my 70s bike and ride through there. Looks like it would be a fun place to ride a bike. 

5 hours ago, pheebs said:

Here is the town I grew up in - in Iowa! Dubuque has some of the oldest buildings west of the Mississippi!

dbq.jpg

That is amazing. It looks like the cover of a jigsaw puzzle box. We have a section in our city that is called the historic district. There are many homes that look like those homes pictured there. I love that blue one there on the left! How pretty!!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, pheebs said:

Here is the town I grew up in - in Iowa! Dubuque has some of the oldest buildings west of the Mississippi!

dbq.jpg

I LOVE those houses. I want them all...

On another note, Ruby passed away this morning. She'd lived a lot longer off of the life support than they'd reckoned her to, but there was just no way for her to come back from the damage that had been done to her body.

Ruby was also a teen mom. She married at 15 and her her first child at 16. She never held a job, never drove a car. She spent her entire life, more than 60 years, taking care of her husband and family. When her husband passed away a couple of years ago, she started getting some autonomy and began visiting family members. She flew for the first time, went on her first real vacation, etc. I'm glad she was able to enjoy herself over the last few years. I'm sorry that her death was ultimately so tragic and painful. 

• Love 5

Ugh, it's late at night again and I need more stress relief. 

Remember when, a few months ago, we were sharing pictures of old, abandoned houses and stuff? You guys got anymore? My newest book is about a haunted, abandoned boarding school. Since all my chapter headings have photographs, I've been getting the pictures ready lately. This really is an abandoned boarding school where I grew up. My mom was a student there from ages 9-18 and then she returned to be the bookkeeper until it closed. Even after it closed in 1984, we continued to live on the campus in one of the houses until the church sold the property in the 90s. I miss it. I loved living there. All the buildings were open so it was my big playground. See the one with the big brick building (the gym)? Whenever it would rain, that hole would fill with water. We used to swim in it. The banks were steeper back then so it actually made a good swimming hole. I would LOVE to make enough money to buy the whole property and turn it into some kind of Appalachian heritage center with retreats and workshops. Alas, it's fallen into such disrepair that I'll never make enough. 

Y'all got any to share? I love looking at pictures. 

little 1.jpg

little 2.jpg

little 3.jpg

little 4.jpg

little 5.jpg

little 6.jpg

• Love 3
7 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Ugh, it's late at night again and I need more stress relief. 

Remember when, a few months ago, we were sharing pictures of old, abandoned houses and stuff? You guys got anymore? My newest book is about a haunted, abandoned boarding school. Since all my chapter headings have photographs, I've been getting the pictures ready lately. This really is an abandoned boarding school where I grew up. My mom was a student there from ages 9-18 and then she returned to be the bookkeeper until it closed. Even after it closed in 1984, we continued to live on the campus in one of the houses until the church sold the property in the 90s. I miss it. I loved living there. All the buildings were open so it was my big playground. See the one with the big brick building (the gym)? Whenever it would rain, that hole would fill with water. We used to swim in it. The banks were steeper back then so it actually made a good swimming hole. I would LOVE to make enough money to buy the whole property and turn it into some kind of Appalachian heritage center with retreats and workshops. Alas, it's fallen into such disrepair that I'll never make enough. 

Y'all got any to share? I love looking at pictures. 

little 1.jpg

little 2.jpg

little 3.jpg

little 4.jpg

little 5.jpg

little 6.jpg

I love stories about haunted boarding schools. I’ve seen some good documentaries on the subject.

Please let us know when you release your book. I do kindle on Amazon all of the time!!!!

• Love 3

I'm just catching up with all of the posts. So sorry for your loss @mamadrama.

I wanted to share a pic from the island I grew up on. Curacao, it's right next to Aruba. This pic is of the harbor where all the cruise ships come through. It's a beautiful island filled with history and amazing beaches. My husband and I are visiting next month for my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. The best part about going is we stay with my mom since she still lives there. I live in GA now but there are times I miss my island. If anyone is looking for vacation ideas this year!

https://www.curacao.com/en/ 

curacao.jpg

• Love 12

Oh my gosh, those colorful houses and the water! The very image of serenity. 

Has anyone ever been to a chiropractor? About 4 and half months ago I started experiencing numbness and nerve pain in my arms and legs. I'm having pain and discomfort in my back now as well. My mother has degenerative disc disease and has had 2 back surgeries, so I'm guessing I have a similar issue. I don't have insurance, which is why I haven't seen a doctor yet. Some days I'm in a considerable amount of pain, but I can usually manage to function and so I see no reason to take drastic measures....yet. It's all rather disconcerting because I'm only 38 and my mother didn't start having problems until her mid-50s. 

At any rate, since I have no insurance, my husband suggested seeing a chiropractor; they're a lot more affordable than a spine doctor. I'm still not sure this is the right place to start, but I don't know what else to do. I have my first appointment tomorrow, and I'm just curious what to expect? Anyone have a good experience with one? 

11 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Oh my gosh, those colorful houses and the water! The very image of serenity. 

Has anyone ever been to a chiropractor? About 4 and half months ago I started experiencing numbness and nerve pain in my arms and legs. I'm having pain and discomfort in my back now as well. My mother has degenerative disc disease and has had 2 back surgeries, so I'm guessing I have a similar issue. I don't have insurance, which is why I haven't seen a doctor yet. Some days I'm in a considerable amount of pain, but I can usually manage to function and so I see no reason to take drastic measures....yet. It's all rather disconcerting because I'm only 38 and my mother didn't start having problems until her mid-50s. 

At any rate, since I have no insurance, my husband suggested seeing a chiropractor; they're a lot more affordable than a spine doctor. I'm still not sure this is the right place to start, but I don't know what else to do. I have my first appointment tomorrow, and I'm just curious what to expect? Anyone have a good experience with one? 

I've been seeing a chiropractor for about 10 years now. I went as often as once per week (when I first started) to now down to twice per month. My husband goes once per month. I went through both of my pregnancies. I really like it for making my back feel better. They will take X-rays to rule out any major issues and will work with you to get you comfortable. The first time they adjust your neck is really freaky because that cracking sound is LOUD. But it really will make you feel better with regular care.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, DudeLeaveMeAlone said:

I've been seeing a chiropractor for about 10 years now. I went as often as once per week (when I first started) to now down to twice per month. My husband goes once per month. I went through both of my pregnancies. I really like it for making my back feel better. They will take X-rays to rule out any major issues and will work with you to get you comfortable. The first time they adjust your neck is really freaky because that cracking sound is LOUD. But it really will make you feel better with regular care.

Thanks! I'd like to know just what exactly is going on in there, but I didn't know if they'd be able to tell me that. I live in a fairly small town, so I don't know all what equipment this chiro has. But I guess I'll find out, won't I?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Thanks! I'd like to know just what exactly is going on in there, but I didn't know if they'd be able to tell me that. I live in a fairly small town, so I don't know all what equipment this chiro has. But I guess I'll find out, won't I?

Yep, you could always schedule a consult and talk to them about your issues and get a recommendation from them. They all have the table that moves during the adjustment. My first chiropractor did everything himself (never used the table). The place I go to now is a husband/wife duo and the wife relies on the table to help with the middle back movement. I prefer the husband because he's stronger and really gets my back all straightened out.

I even took my youngest about 5 weeks after he was born. He was suffering with reflux pretty bad and the meds weren't working. The chiropractic care took care of it right away and we never dealt with crazy spit up. However, it didn't prevent his recurring ear infections and he ended up getting tubes put in. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DudeLeaveMeAlone said:

I can't go to to a chiro since I had my brain surgery and my neck fusion but I used to go once a week. I never did get used to the sound that it makes when they're adjusting your neck. I freaked out every single time. My anxiety even freaked the doctor out. I think I had my neck broken in a former life or something...

Random picture of the day. This sums up my family pretty well. This is my grandmother, in her Sunday best, bottle feeding her pet pig (Porky) in the 1940s. 

I'm not sharing this for any particular reason. I just think it's funny. 

580444_523468174382292_295440886_n.jpg

• Love 9
On 1/13/2018 at 9:53 AM, pheebs said:

dbq.jpg

Iowa in the house! (Des Moines)

@mamadrama, I’m sorry for your loss. I hope that being there for her provides some measure of peace.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 3

I love all the Iowa people here!  I was born in Ft. Madison and we lived in Centerville before moving to Florida.  Most of my mother's family is still there and in Missouri.  I have fond memories of growing up there.

• Love 3

I'm in Iowa too, but I was born in Omaha, NE. You know, the town Farrah likes to PRETEND she's from? She's really from Council Bluffs; no one's buying it. I live in a real small town that is close to NE (not CB). I consider myself a Nebraskan since I was born there and still support our team, but Iowa is cheaper and the homeschool laws are better. So here we stay. 

(I've also lived in two FL cities, two GA cities, NC, and OR. I moved around a lot in my younger days!)

• Love 2

@ghoulina, For your first visit they will take X-rays but prob won’t do anything until the next visit so they have time to review the X-rays and determine a treatment plan.  Chiros are cheaper than a MD, but usually require more frequent visits.  I have been to 3 and 2 were great and 1 was just OK so hopefully you like 1 of the 2 in your area.  In my experience, you generally feel better and occasionally feel muscle soreness after adjustments, but should not feel pain.  If you are feel pain afterwards let them know immediately.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Changing subjects, TX sunrise pic DH took last weekend.

DDC1EABE-B093-4D88-9B3E-6CE4785785D2.jpeg

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'm in Iowa too, but I was born in Omaha, NE. You know, the town Farrah likes to PRETEND she's from? She's really from Council Bluffs; no one's buying it. I live in a real small town that is close to NE (not CB). I consider myself a Nebraskan since I was born there and still support our team, but Iowa is cheaper and the homeschool laws are better. So here we stay. 

(I've also lived in two FL cities, two GA cities, NC, and OR. I moved around a lot in my younger days!)

Can you explain the diff connotations between CB and Omaha? I love learning about stuff like this. I realize they are diff states but is there something bad about CB?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Can you explain the diff connotations between CB and Omaha? I love learning about stuff like this. I realize they are diff states but is there something bad about CB?

Not Ghoulina but I lived in Omaha from 2005-2007 while working at Mutual of Omaha right out of college.

Council Bluffs is kind of industrial looking, with lots of older, more run down houses near the interstate. While there are nicer neighborhoods I am sure, if you're just passing through on I80 you probably don't get the best impression of the city. Omaha has some older, run down neighborhoods too but also a pretty downtown section (lots of cool older buildings with independent, nicely decorated restaurants and shops), and of course in the areas to the west are where all the newer, larger subdivisions are.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Booger666 said:

@ghoulina, For your first visit they will take X-rays but prob won’t do anything until the next visit so they have time to review the X-rays and determine a treatment plan.  Chiros are cheaper than a MD, but usually require more frequent visits.  I have been to 3 and 2 were great and 1 was just OK so hopefully you like 1 of the 2 in your area.  In my experience, you generally feel better and occasionally feel muscle soreness after adjustments, but should not feel pain.  If you are feel pain afterwards let them know immediately.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Changing subjects, TX sunrise pic DH took last weekend.

DDC1EABE-B093-4D88-9B3E-6CE4785785D2.jpeg

Thank you!!! And that is an amazing picture. Wow. 

16 minutes ago, Tatum said:

Council Bluffs is kind of industrial looking, with lots of older, more run down houses near the interstate. While there are nicer neighborhoods I am sure, if you're just passing through on I80 you probably don't get the best impression of the city. Omaha has some older, run down neighborhoods too but also a pretty downtown section (lots of cool older buildings with independent, nicely decorated restaurants and shops), and of course in the areas to the west are where all the newer, larger subdivisions are.

This, in a nutshell. Plus, there's the whole state rivalries thing; how people from neighboring states act like the others are so uncouth, horrible drivers, snobs...what have you. Football rivalries factor in as well, of course. In all fairness, CB has some cool things to offer, but we kind of jokingly act like they're the bastard step-brother of Omaha. I mean, why DO Deb and Farrah always say "Omaha" when they know damn well and good they live in Council Bluffs? 

I mean, THIS is the tacky ass "art" CB feels worthy of welcoming you into town, soo.....

24thstbridge_large_19.jpg

• Love 2

Oh my. That art.

I actually really like downtown Omaha. I think it's one of the prettier downtown (at least in summer, maybe not so much winter) areas I've seen. It has all the stuff any normal metro area would have, like tall buildings, a convention center, etc. but on a much smaller, easier to navigate scale.