Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

ETA: Transcribed from the video in this article...

-- MG: "I always felt, and Stephen Amell always felt,that Oliver's journey had to end with his death. Despite everything he'd done, the man he was before he became the Green Arrow, and the man he was when he was the Hood, you know, killing off so many people, we felt that there had to be an end to his journey that ended with, you know, some sort of recompense, but also recompense wrapped with a bit of redemption."

'Crisis on Infinite Earths' introduces a major change for the CW's superhero shows
By Chancellor Agard January 14, 2020 
https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/14/crisis-on-infinite-earths-introduces-major-change-cws-superhero-shows/ 

“We knew from last year, quite frankly, that we were going to merge and create Earth-CW basically, but Earth-Prime sounds better,” crossover executive producer Marc Guggenheim told reporters at a screening in December. “Even though in the comics, Earth-Prime is our Earth, I just personally like the sound of Earth-Prime. So all of the CW [superhero] shows will be on the same Earth.”
And Earth-Prime isn’t the only change. The original Crisis on Infinite Earths comic, which the crossover is based on, destroyed the multiverse, leaving only one Earth in existence, but the Arrowverse didn’t follow that example. In the TV crossover, the multiverse was reborn following the Dawn of Time battle, and the Legends episode revealed what those news Earths are:

Earth-2: Home of Stargirl, the forthcoming superhero show that will air on both DC Universe and the CW. Executive produced by Greg Berlanti and showrunner Geoff Johns, the show stars Brec Bassinger as the titular hero and Luke Wilson as her sidekick in a giant robot suit.

Earth-12: This is where 2011’s Green Lantern movie, which crossover executive producers Marc Guggenheim and Greg Berlanti co-wrote, is now set. What a retcon!

Earth-19: Home of the shortlived Swamp Thing series on DC Universe.

Earth-9: Home of DC Universe’s Titans, which was renewed for a third season last year.

Earth-21: Home of DC Universe’s Doom Patrol. Placing Doom Patrol on a separate Earth from Titans helps explain the discrepancies between the show and the “Doom Patrol” episode in Titans season 1.

Earth-96: Brandon Routh’s Man of Steel from Superman Return lives!

Edited by tv echo

Couldn't help noticing 😉 ...

Avengers: Infinity War: (*the Snap wipes out one-half of all living beings in the universe*)
Crisis On Infinite Earths: (*the red anti-matter wave wipes out all living beings in the multi-verse, except for seven Paragons, Oliver, Jim Corrigan and the Anti-Monitor*)

Avengers: Endgame: (*Scott Lang/Ant-Man presumed killed by the Snap but was actually in the Quantum Realm*)
Crisis On Infinite Earths: (*Ezra Miller's Barry Allen/Flash presumed erased by the anti-matter wave with the rest of the multiverse but was actually in the Speed Force?*)

Thor and Heimdall: "Asgard is not a place, it's a people."
Kara Zor-El (to Clark Kent): "Krypton's not just a place, it's a spirit."

Thor: "I wish we had more time." Frigga: "I know. This was a gift."
Lyla/Harbinger (to Oliver Queen) "Time is a gift."

Tony Stark (to Bruce Banner): "And remember, everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago, we’re just bringing them back to now, today. Don’t change anything from the last five years."
Kara Zor-el (to other Paragons): "We find a way to get all the people that we lost back."

Doctor Strange (to Tony Stark): "If I tell you what happens, it won't happen."
The Monitor (to Oliver Queen): "Not knowing what you're fighting means you will prepare for every possibility."

Tony Stark (prerecorded message): "Part of the journey is the end."
Stephen Amell (tweet with final COIE trailer): "Everything has to have an ending."

Dead Tony Stark (to his daughter): "I love you 3000."
Dying Oliver Queen (to his daughter): "You keep me in your heart, okay?"

Tony Stark: "Do you trust me?" Steve Rogers: "I do."
Spectre Oliver: "Do you trust me?" Barry Allen: "With every cell in my body."

The Grandmaster (to Thor): "Hey, Sparkles, here's the deal. You want to get back to Ass-place, Ass-berg."
Mick Rory (to Black Lightning): "Where you from, Sparkles?"

Thanos: "I am inevitable."
The Anti-Monitor: "I am destiny incarnate. Inexorable and inescapable."

Captain America: "Avengers! Assemble."
Earth-Prime's U.S. President: "Thankfully, we were saved by Earth's greatest heroes... I'm told that this assembly was led by Star City's Oliver Queen, otherwise known as the Green Arrow."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

There has been a fairly strict separation of the DC film and television world. How were you able to combine the two with Miller’s cameo?
We were series wrapped on “Arrow,” and we were wrapped on the whole crossover. We were in post and some episodes were locked, and some were soft-locked. I got a phone call from [Warner Bros. boss] Peter Roth saying, “I know you’re locked, but can you put Ezra into the crossover?” And I said, “Yes.” And he said, “How, you’re series wrapped? And you’re wrapped on the crossover.” And I said, “Yeah, I know, but if you’re telling me Ezra Miller can be in the crossover, I can make it happen.” I called Eric Wallace who who is the showrunner of “Flash,” and he called up Grant Gustin — because the one thing that was our only concern was the thought we didn’t want to do it unless Grant was 100 percent on-board with it. And he was. He was incredibly enthusiastic and on-board with it. And then we got on the phone with Ezra Miller and told him the scene I had written and he was completely into it. And we just went. We put together a unit of the “Flash” crew on the “Flash” set [since “Arrow’s” team, which had produced the rest of the hour, was gone]. And much to our surprise, no one noticed Ezra Miller was in Vancouver and no one leaked it from the crew, which we appreciate. So we were able to keep it a surprise.

Combing the multiverse made it so there was only one version of each hero left. Does that mean that Miller’s Flash no longer exists in the DC television world?

I will leave that question to Warner Bros. and DC. They have a wonderful vision for not just Ezra’s Flash, but also the entire DC universe. Jim Lee is the man to talk to.

Oliver ended up dying twice over the course of the crossover. What led to the decision to pull that figurative trigger twice?

The creative behind it was we were faced with the question of how do we surprise the audience when we spoiled the story [a year ago]. The creative conversations were pretty simple. I shared that plan with [executive producer] Greg Berlanti, who was into it. And then I pitched it to Stephen, and Stephen and I have been talking about, for years, that the end of the “Arrow” story is [Oliver’s] death. And we’ve always been on the same page. I think he enjoyed A) the opportunity to play two death scenes and B) the creative sleight of hand in terms of surprising the audience. That’s the other thing that Stephen and I have always agreed on: surprising the audience with the unexpected. So it just made sense. The only lingering question was if we kill off Oliver in [“Arrow”] Season 8 Episode 8, what’s the series finale? And we had a plan for that as well.

The introduction of Earth Prime has led to new changes, like baby Sara’s return, Lex Luthor a hero, etc. How will the shows be handling the reveal of the differences going forward? And for a character like Laurel (Katie Cassidy), whose Earth-1 Laurel was killed and has been playing Earth-2 over the past few years, which version is left?

Certainly the question of which Laurel is left is going to be answered very definitively in [“Arrow’s”] Season 8 Episode 9. But the explanation for the result is given very strong in Episode 10. We went into the crossover knowing we would end with the combing of the Earth, and the reboot of the universe. And the way we sort of saw that there is an opportunity going forward after “Crisis” to slowly reveal all of the weird changes. [“Arrow” showrunner] Beth Schwartz and I went into the crossover knowing in the final episode that we wanted to reveal that baby Sara, who was eliminated in “Flashpoint,” was returned to the timeline. That was very important to us. We had actually considered doing it after “Elseworlds” last year, actually, but thought it had more punch if it was a part of the universal reboot of “Crisis.”

Lex seems to be a wild card, and now he has history with characters from all of the “Arrowverse” shows. What’s next for him?

That’s really a question for the “Supergirl” showrunners. I went to them, I said we’re going to do a reboot, we’re going to combine the universes, anything you want to introduce to your shows, now is a really, really good time. And this was something that [“Supergirl” showrunners] Robert Rovner and Jessica Queller came back with. We were all really excited about it.

The “Arrowverse” characters have long been interconnected, but now they’re all residing on the same Earth. How does that change the stakes for things going forward when the shows have to remain quasi-separate?

I think the Marvel [film] universe deals with it every time[, too,] like in “Iron Man 3” — why doesn’t Tony Stark call upon the Avengers? We’ve had this issue ever since we introduced Flash into the “Arrowverse.” Why doesn’t Oliver call upon his super-powered friends? The way we tend to solve that problem, historically — and I don’t think this will change post-“Crisis” — is when it’s appropriate, story-wise, and doesn’t feel like a departure we’ll mention, “Why don’t you call in [another hero]” and give an explanation.

The very end of the crossover hinted at the introduction of Gleek and the Wonder Twins. Is that something that fans can look forward to on “Legends of Tomorrow,” the next crossover or sometime TBD?

TBD. That was something where we knew we wanted to end with that fun bit. There were early versions of the draft that had the Wonder Twins actually in it. I consider the Wonder Twins kind of a jump ball: We’ll see what show wants to grab it.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/crisis-on-infinite-earths-ezra-miller-cameo-marc-guggenheim-interview-1203467952/

• Love 4

Another featurette, with Guggenheim talking about the cameos/easter eggs:

---

I did enjoy a lot of the cameos/easter eggs, but the overall story wasn't strong. But I was already coming into this with low expectations.

From the promos, it looks like there will be ramifications for each show; some more than others, and each will explore it in their own way. It'll be interesting to see what they do on Arrow, since they really emphasized their lead character is DEAD. (Although obviously, he'll be around for the finale somehow.)

Supergirl looks like it will be dealing with one major change; Lex Luthor, and everything related to that.

Batwoman is mostly ignoring COIE, except for changes to Kate/Batwoman herself.

On The Flash, Barry's life is better since he didn't die; but it looks like Team Flash will be dealing with more of the ripple effects of the universe merge than others.

Black Lightning's world is now opened up, but they'll probably stay relatively isolated from everyone else.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

IS THERE EVEN A HALF OF A HALF OF AN IDEA FOR THE ARROWVERSE’S NEXT CROSSOVER EVENT?

“I would say I have ‘ideas for ideas,’ and I’ve sort of pitched to [The CW CEO] Mark Pedowitz and [executive producer] Greg Berlanti what, if left to my own devices, I would like to see us do. There is a rubric that is semi in place… and both Mark and Greg have signed off on that, and as we go onward, things will get more and more specific. I was emailing Mark just the other day, that we have to all get in a room together to talk about this. We typically do a post mortem about what went right, what went wrong, what did we learn…. We always learn something.”

Can we have someone else in charge of this, please??

• Love 3

Also from the TVLine article:

DOES THE NEW MULTIVERSE OLIVER CREATED HAVE DOPPELGANGERS? LIKE, IS THERE A STARGIRL ON MULTIPLE EARTHS OR JUST THE NEW EARTH-2?

“........... I don’t actually want to answer; I would much rather see those answers come in the form of the actual episodes.”

IS THE LAUREL IN ARROW‘S BACKDOOR PILOT, LIKE, A ‘MERGED COMPOSITE’ OF THE ORIGINAL AND HER EARTH-2 DOPPELGANGER?

“[Episodes] 809 and 810 [aka the series finale airing Jan. 28] will answer that question very definitively. You’ll learn which version of Laurel we have been left with in 809, and you will learn why that is the case in 810.”

WERE SMALLVILLE‘S VERSION OF CLARK AND LOIS ‘RETURNED’ AFTER CRISIS?

“I absolutely can confirm that they’re still alive, they’re still living their happy ending,” Guggenheim reports. Previously established to have given up his Kryptonian powers to lead a normal life as a family man, “Clark is getting the hero’s ending he deserves.”

My "Philosophy" on the "doppelgangers" is this:

Who says that they were all destroyed or merged???

It has already been confirmed that there are still multiple Supermen, a couple of Flash(s), and The Legends met Stargirl on Earth-Prime back in the 40s, so there is (well, was) more than one of her.

All of the doppelgangers (All the Harrys, all the Laurels, all the...........) could have been (possibly) "recreated".   No one is saying that they are all gone.   Some of them could still exist.  We will just have to watch and wait.

(And I am not just saying that because out of all of the Wells, they keep this jerk.)

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

Also from the TVLine article:

My "Philosophy" on the "doppelgangers" is this:

Who says that they were all destroyed or merged???

It has already been confirmed that there are still multiple Supermen, a couple of Flash(s), and The Legends met Stargirl on Earth-Prime back in the 40s, so there is (well, was) more than one of her.

All of the doppelgangers (All the Harrys, all the Laurels, all the...........) could have been (possibly) "recreated".   No one is saying that they are all gone.   Some of them could still exist.  We will just have to watch and wait.

(And I am not just saying that because out of all of the Wells, they keep this jerk.)

Do we know if E1 JSA is still in E-Prime canon? And at the very least E1/38/BL have to had been merged. But we dont know if E2 pre Crisis merged with E1 but how does E2 pre Crisis characters exist if E2 is a brand new Earth with a new history unless it's not..... though he pretty much confirmed that itll be E2 Laurel and not some composite.

So the Paragons only remember the original timeline Earth. They don't know what history they had on this new Earth while all the rest got both memories? Are we going to see them have to adjust to a new reality? 

'Crisis on Infinite Earths' boss answers burning questions about Earth-Prime, Ezra Miller, and more
By Chancellor Agard January 15, 2020 
https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/15/crisis-on-infinite-earths-marc-guggenheim-earth-prime-ezra-miller-mia/ 

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You tweeted that DC Entertainment CCO/Publisher Jim Lee played a pivotal role in pulling off the Ezra Miller cameo. How did he help it all come together? Also, did any of the people on the film side have input on the contents of the scene?
MARC GUGGENHEIM:
Absolutely. Basically, I was really working hand-in-hand with Jim. From the moment we found out that this was a possibility, to once we knew Grant Gustin was cool and on board with it and Ezra was on board with it, I would send drafts of the scene to both Jim Lee and [DC Entertainment’s film VP] Adam Schlagman and we would just go back and forth. The trick with the scene is that I didn’t want to and they didn’t want me to do anything that stepped on the toes of the Flashpoint movie that they’re developing. So, we really worked hand-in-hand. Jim was really great about just making sure that all the parties were talking to each other, that nothing was getting stalled. He was a cheerleader when he needed to be, a diplomat when he needed to be. He really stepped up in every way one could do it. His enthusiasm really helped make this possible.

The Crisis comic destroyed the multiverse and condensed everything into a single Earth. Here, though, you guys decided to reboot the entire multiverse. Why did you want to do that?
Basically, I promised DC and all the powers that be that if they just let me destroy all the various different shows in hour 1, I would bring them back in hour 5. I promised that I would put all of the toys back in the toy box once we were finished. For us, the most important status quo change was, of course, combining the CW shows into a single Earth. I like to think that I’m a considerate enough showrunner that I’m not going to destroy the shows of other showrunners.

The Legends hour establishes that the DC Universe show Stargirl takes place on Earth-2 in the new multiverse. What does that mean for all the characters who were on the old Earth-2, specifically with Earth-2 Laurel who is a major character on Arrow? How is her continued existence explained?
Actually, that question is very directly asked by Laurel herself in the Arrow series finale. There’s actually a really, really poignant scene between her and Paul Blackthorne, who plays her dad, that explains that. Speaking to that larger question, one of the things that really excites all of us involved with the Arrowverse shows is that by rebooting the universe, we’ve given ourselves a new central mystery, which is the question: Okay, what does this new universe look like? You got a little bit of a taste of it in hour 5, and going forward we’re going to continue on all the shows to peel the layers of the onion on what that looks like. That’s really, really exciting for all of us.
“Elseworlds” setup Psycho-Pirate as a player in the coming Crisis, but the character ended up not appearing in the episode. Was there ever a version of the crossover that included him?
No, we actually had Psycho Pirate in various iterations, in various different ways. It’s funny, you go into this type of event thinking, “We’ve got five hours and that’s going to be all the time in the world to tell every single story and include every single character we want to and do every single moment we have in mind.” When you actually start breaking it, you discover wow, there’s still never enough time and there’s never enough space to do all the different ideas. Psycho Pirate was one of those characters that was in and out, and in and out. We basically realized that given the story we were telling, the only reason we were having him in there was because he was in the original comic. When we’re finding ourselves forcing moments just to be faithful to the comic, that stuff is usually the first kind of moments to go, actually, much to chagrin of my Twitter feed.

So far this morning I’ve seen some mixed reaction to the Arrow hour. How did the idea to trap some of the heroes in the Speed Force come about?
Basically, that was something I sort of came up with [when] I was flying back from Prague. Because we knew we were killing off Oliver, I wanted to come up with a conceit…You know, back when we had the writers’ room, we had talked about basically the characters being scattered throughout the Speed Force and Barry would sort of have to hunt for everybody. We didn’t quite have a clear idea as to what that would look like, but what occurred to me was that it was an opportunity to kind of revisit a series “greatest hits” for Oliver, key moments in terms of his relationships. That was very important to all of us involved with the crossover because we knew Oliver was dying at the end of the episode, so it’s a little bit of a “Before you die, your life flashes before your eyes” kind of feel. That was really important to us that we look backwards before Oliver’s death.

You could’ve placed Kate, who is relatively new, in a number of places. How did you decide to drop her into that scene between Oliver and Ray from season 3’s “Suicidal Tendencies”?
I’ll be honest: We kind of knew that Brandon was already contracted to be in that episode, so we knew he would be in that episode. Originally, we were going to do a scene where we revisit Arrow [617] where Oliver and Diggle fight and she would have to break up Oliver and Diggle’s fight. But season 6 was relatively recent and we kind of wanted to go a little further back in the canon and that episode “Suicidal Tendencies” is actually one of my favorite episodes; it’s certainly one of my favorite episodes of season 3 because I just love the tension between Ray and Oliver, and I particularly love it in light of how much all of the shows have evolved and relationships between the characters have evolved. In picking those moments we were looking back to, that kind of idea of showing how far the characters have come really drove a lot of those selections and decisions. Like, let’s show Oliver and Kara really not liking each other. Let’s show Oliver and Ray really not liking each other. It’s fun to illustrate how far everyone has come right before you kill off Oliver.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Five best and five worst things in Crisis On Infinite Earths
BY ROB CLOUGH   JANUARY 15, 2020
https://www.looper.com/183749/best-worst-things-crisis-on-infinite-earths/

Outstanding performances by Stephen Amell (Green Arrow), Caity Lotz (White Canary), and Grant Gustin (Flash) in particular anchored the crossover, as they made the viewer feel their vulnerability, grief, and hope. Oliver Queen may be dead, but Crisis served as a love letter to the character and the show. The dark nature of Oliver's character always made him an unusual choice as the face of this particular iteration of the DC Universe, but his path to redemption, unshakable faith in his friends, and sheer passion resulted in a man who was easy to love. Oliver's heroism and his friends' reactions to it ultimately made the crossover a rip-roaring success, but there were plenty of awkward and inexplicable moments as well. Let's take a look at the five best and worst moments in Crisis On Infinite Earths.

Best: Oliver Queen as the Spectre
Worst: Losing the Plot(s)

Best: Everything's coming up Luthor!
Worst: Lackluster battles
Best: The Darkest Knight
Worst: The pointless Pariah
Best: Black Lightning's back!
Worst: The Anti-Monitor was an anti-character
Best: Meet the Super Friends!
Worst: Collateral damage?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

We Have Questions! Marc Guggenheim on the 'Crisis' Cameo & Casualty
Damian Holbrook January 15, 2020
https://www.tvinsider.com/849033/crisis-on-infinite-earths-flash-ezra-miller-oliver-queen-death/ 

OK first off, how did the Ezra Miller moment happen?
Marc Guggenheim: Well, I'll tell ya, we were wrapped on production of the crossover, all of the episodes were soft-locked. I'm driving to work one day and I got a phone call from [Warner Bros. head] Peter Roth, who says, "You're not going to believe that I'm asking this and I know you're wrapped, but would it be possible for Ezra Miller to be in the crossover?"

And I said yes, but then he asked how. And I said "I have no earthly idea, you just told me about it, but if you tell me that I have the opportunity to have Ezra Miller in the crossover, I am going to tell you right now, we are going to make it happen." And [EP] Greg Berlanti's first instinct was, and which I agreed with, that it should happen in the Speed Force. Our two Flashes should meet in the Speed Force.

And that that was really helpful because we already had Grant Gustin's Barry traveling through the Speed Force in hour four, which worked great because it was later in the cycle. That was a lot easier to work into the last two hours in the crossover because we had a little bit more time. I knew it would be a two-hander and I knew it'd be like a minute-and-a-half long, so I thought, okay, well we can shoot with The Flash crew ... and so I wrote the scene, and you know, went back and forth with the theatrical [team] about it.

I gotta tell you, the very first thing I did after I got off the phone with Peter Roth was to reach out to Eric Wallace, the Flash showrunner, and he reached out to Grant Gustin. Because the one thing that we knew was, we were not going to do this unless Grant was 100% on board. And he was, he was incredibly excited and incredibly enthusiastic about it.
And then the second thing we did, of course, was get on the phone with Ezra Miller, who, by the way, could not be more delightful and not be more of a fanboy. I mean, he's quoting Tolkien to us on the phone...his geek cred runs very, very, very deep and he was an absolute delight on set. We just had the best time. I think everyone just really, really enjoyed the whole process and I think it shows on screen.

Oh it was a blast. But then, on the clip side of this fun moment, you go and kill Oliver two episodes before Arrow ends. 
That was always the plan. Ever since once the stars aligned and we knew that we were doing Crisis in Arrow's last year, we knew several things. We knew that Oliver had to die in Crisis, as we've been saying for a year now. And we also knew that it had to happen in the Arrow hour of the crossover. So we definitely created some interesting creative challenges for ourselves in terms of what the final two episodes would be, particularly the Arrow series finale. But those challenges really are creative opportunities.
Cool. For the crossover, you had so many appearances. Did you try to get Krypton's Cameron Cuffe to play Seg-El?
Generally speaking, I don't like to comment on who I tried getting into or didn't. But he was either going to be in a movie or auditioning for a movie and couldn't make the schedule. We'd actually written something and he was going to make an appearance in hour one, the Supergirl hour, appropriately.

Okay. And why not just stick with one universe?
Why restore the multiverse at the end? Because I promised DC Comics that if they let me destroy all their universes in hour one, that I would bring them back. You know, Titans and Doom Patrol and Stargirl, they kind of want to exist. [Laughs]
I know you have to go, so last question...are there any new heroes on Earth-Prime that we should know about?
Actually, that's the great thing about what we've set up here. There were still a lot more surprises because everything has changed . I think one of the things that make us all really excited about the post-Crisis episodes is that, across all the different shows, we're going to be peeling the layers of that onion. So I don't want to spoil anything, but what we've done is we've created an opportunity for a whole lot of stories across the entire Earth-Prime world.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

FYI, this article also includes spoilers for Supergirl, Black Lightning, Batwoman, LoT, Flash, Arrow and the spinoffs (not quoted below)...

WHAT'S IN STORE FOR THE CW HEROES POST-"CRISIS"
by Erik Amaya | January 15, 2020 |
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/whats-in-store-for-the-cw-heroes-post-crisis/ 

As revealed on Tuesday night, the universe was reborn. In its wake is Earth-Prime, an amalgam world in which the CW heroes all co-exist.

“We knew from last year that we were going to merge [the worlds] and create Earth-CW, basically,” executive producer Marc Guggenhim said of the “Crisis” conclusion. In choosing a name for this new existence, Guggenheim and the other showrunners latched on to “Earth-Prime,” which in the DC Comics tradition is the Earth where we, the readers of DC Comics, are said to exist.

Of course, Earth-Prime became a fictional world when a Superboy appeared on it shortly before the original Crisis series. And it only gets more messy as subsequent writers returned to the idea and its “Superboy Prime.” But for Guggenheim, the name was the right fit for their new reality. “I just personally liked the sound of Earth-Prime. So all the CW shows [are there],” he said.

“[But] Riverdale’s not there,” Batwoman executive producer Caroline Dries interjected.

“That would be very weird,” DC’s Legends of Tomorrow co-showrunner Keto Shimizu added.

“The CW superhero shows,” Guggenheim clarified.

Though now united on one Earth, Guggenheim was quick to point out this new Earth is not the Earth-1 of Arrow, The Flash or Legends.

“It’s a completely different Earth,” he explained.

What that means in the long-term will be revealed as the individual shows move forward. For The Flash and Legends, Earth-Prime’s resemblance to Earth-1 means various quirks may continue to appear for seasons to come, like Nash (Tom Cavanagh) being a distinct entity from Harrison Wells. But for Supergirl and Black Lightning, both of which inhabited worlds of their own, Earth-Prime will be major changes to their status quos.
As for the Multiverse, it has been born anew with Earth-Prime as its new anchor. While the original Crisis comic book condensed all realities into one new Earth, the producers of the television “Crisis” saw the value in keeping the concept around around.

Now, the DC Universe streaming series, theatrical films, and upcoming shows like HBO Max’s Green Lantern all exist within a framework very close to the CW’s reality. And as Ezra Miller‘s absolutely shocking appearance in “Crisis” confirms, the Arrowverse is a place where anything can happen and just about any DC Comics character can appear. It is, oddly enough, the best of all possibilities and an inadvertent fix to DC Entertainment’s wild and sometimes contradictory array of content — they are all true in the infinitude.

At least until the next crisis. But at least there will be a group of Superfriends to defend reality against it.

EARTH-PRIME DEBUTS
SUPERGIRL WELCOMES BACK AN OLD FRIEND
BLACK LIGHTNING’S WORLD EXPANDS
BATWOMAN HAS AN IDENTITY CRISIS
DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW HAS TRUST ISSUES
THE FLASH HAS MILES TO GO BEFORE BABY NORA WEST-ALLEN ARRIVES
ARROW MAKES WAY FOR GREEN ARROW & THE CANARIES
SUPERMAN AND LOIS SERIES TAKES OFF
STARGIRL RISES
THE MULTIVERSE IS REBORN

Edited by tv echo

Crisis on Infinite Earths EP Didn't Know Any Flash Movie Plot Points
By RUSS BURLINGAME - January 17, 2020
https://comicbook.com/dc/2020/01/17/guggenheim-ezra-miller-flash-crisis-infinite-earths-impact-movie/ 

As previous reports have suggested, the decision to bring [Ezra] Miller into the crossover actually came from Warner Bros. Pictures, and was communicated to executive producer Marc Guggenheim by TV chief Peter Roth. Guggenheim said that when it happened, he was as shocked as the fans were this week.
"It actually was incredibly surreal," Guggenheim admitted. "And Peter Roth, he basically started the phone call with, 'okay, you're not going to believe this. You're not going to believe I'm asking this.' And it was really surreal. And I was driving to work, and I think I almost crashed my car."

He also cautioned against reading too much into what they saw in "Crisis on Infinite Earths," in terms of guessing what might be happening in the forthcoming The Flash film adaptation starring Miller. There have already been fan theories debating whether "Crisis" could play a role in the movie, which is reportedly a loose adaptation of Flashpoint, or whether Miller's reference to "Victor" means Cyborg is in the movie.

"Everything we put in there, we put in there with the approval of Warner Brothers Theatrical," Guggenheim explained, "but I haven't read a draft. No one's even pitched me what the movie is. I was really writing blind, quite frankly. And there was some ad libbing on the day, but we had someone from Warner Brothers Theatrical, there onset, everything was vetted. But it's definitely information provided on a need to know basis. Truth be told I didn't really need to know in order to like the theme."

How Crisis on Infinite Earths Ended Up Using Footage From the Green Lantern Movie
By RUSS BURLINGAME - January 17, 2020
https://comicbook.com/dc/2020/01/17/crisis-infinite-earths-green-lantern-movie-cameo-guggenheim/ 

In the final moments of The CW's "Crisis on Infinite Earths" event, as fans were given glimpses of the newly-reborn multiverse, the first confirmation came that the Green Lantern Corps exists in the multiverse that includes The CW's DC shows. A sweeping shot of Oa, the homeworld of the Guardians of the Universe and the base of operations of the Green Lantern Corps, was one of the final shots in the series (designated as the universe that housed Earth-12). The footage itself came from the 2011 Green Lantern movie, which featured Arrow co-creators Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim as credited screenwriters.
"There were some Easter eggs and cameos that just like fell into our lap, and then there were other ones where it was months of diplomacy on a variety of different fronts," Guggenheim told ComicBook.com. "I would say the Green Lantern footage...it fell somewhere in the middle. And that was a one where it was like, it's in, it's out, it's in, it's out. That was definitely sort of an emotional roller coaster one, but it all came together, which was great. I have to say, there were people like Jim Lee and Dan Evans of DC, who were very much in favor of it. I think that helped put it over the finish line."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Post-Crisis: 10 things to know about Earth-Prime before The Flash and Arrow return
by Paul Zuniga   January 16, 2020
https://netflixlife.com/2020/01/16/10-facts-earth-prime-the-flash-arrow-return/ 

Once the group pays their respects to Oliver, they gather around a table with chairs designed for each of them. The chairs themselves are practically identical, the only difference between them is the insignia on the back. Every hero has their respective insignia emblazoned on the top of their chairs, pointing to a bigger reason for the chairs. There’s one for Black Lightning, White Canary, Flash, Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, Superman, Batwoman, and Green Arrow.
For anyone who doesn’t recall, the specter version of Oliver Queen supposedly unlocked Barry’s potential by pressing his finger up to Barry’s forehead. There’s no way to say if he was being serious or not, but maybe he did unlock the Scarlet Speedster’s potential. In that scenario, Barry will have to learn how to use his newfound power.

10. Lex Luthor is a hero
9. The Justice League has assembled
8. Black Siren of Earth-2 survived
7. Mia Queen is the new Green Arrow
6. Iris West isn’t the same person anymore
5. Laws of physics have changed
4. Barry’s Speed-Force lightning is different, too
3. Black Lightning may (or may not) appear on The Flash
2. Metahuman assassins have become bold
1. Only the Paragons and their friends remember the Multiverse

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Ask Matt: 'Jeopardy!' Is the Greatest, 'Emergence,' Crossover 'Crisis' & More
Matt Roush January 17, 2020
https://www.tvinsider.com/849659/ask-matt-jeopardy-greatest-all-time-emergence-crisis-on-infinite-earths/

Suffering Crossover Fatigue
Question: After watching the five-part "Crisis on Infinite Earths" crossover in The CW's Arrow-verse, I thought the ending was anticlimactic and the five-part crossover went on too long. Maybe I'm suffering from crossover fatigue from trying to get keep straight the jumbled storylines for the various shows over the past couple of seasons. The crossovers used to be fun, now they just seem to be a slog. I'm starting to regret asking you about a Supergirl/Arrow-verse crossover eons ago. Do you think the crossover event lived up to the hype? Is the future plan to give viewers even more DC universe shows? - Brian

Matt Roush: I'll take your word for how this crossover "event" played out. Fatigue is a good word. Overkill is another. I don't have an opinion, because while we have reporters on staff who follow these particular shows, I'm not one of them. There was a time when I followed Arrow and The Flash and at least sampled a few others, but once they started introducing alternate worlds and the like, I grew weary of how convoluted they were all becoming with not enough payoff for the effort. (Plus, the DC and Marvel influx coincided with the explosion of TV platforms, and there's only so much time in anyone's life.) From the looks of it, even with Arrow ending, The CW will continue expanding these worlds, and for those who like this sort of thing, more (super)power to them. I'll acknowledge them when they happen in my daily online columns, but from a distance. (I even tried to get into Batwoman this season, seeing that it was trying something different, but it was too dark and blandly executed for my taste.)

Edited by tv echo

25 TV Moments From This Week That We Can't Stop Talking About
Nora Dominick    January 17, 2020
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/tv-moments-of-week-1-17-20

14. On Arrow, during "Crisis on Infinite Earths: Part 4," Grant Gustin's Barry Allen came face-to-face with Ezra Miller's Barry Allen while he was traveling through the Speed Force.
15. Also on Arrow, after becoming Spectre and helping bring everyone back, Sara and Barry heartbreakingly watched Oliver die again.
16. On Legends of Tomorrow, during "Crisis on Infinite Earths: Part 5," all of our heroes teamed up to defeat the Anti-Monitor once and for all — also, with the restart of the universe, all of the DCTV heroes now reside on Earth-Prime.
17. Also on Legends of Tomorrow, the team honored Oliver's legacy and officially started the Justice League.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

There is a rumor from someone called Pagey that a Brandon Routh Superman show is in development. He hinted that it might not be on the CW. I would hope not (if this is true). Love Routh's Superman but there isn't room for two Superman shows on one network.  He also says the Green Arrow and the Canaries show might not get picked up. 

2 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

There is a rumor from someone called Pagey that a Brandon Routh Superman show is in development. He hinted that it might not be on the CW. I would hope not (if this is true). Love Routh's Superman but there isn't room for two Superman shows on one network.  He also says the Green Arrow and the Canaries show might not get picked up. 

That't the guy that got an autographed pic from Stephen Amell saying "You are always wrong". 

• LOL 5

I agree it should be taken with a huge grain of salt. It would be nice to have a Routh Superman series on HBO Max though. It would have a bigger budget to do Superman justice. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

I'd be highly surprised to see a completely different version of Superman on TV (as a complete series) now that they're focusing on getting TH and ET's updated Lois and Clark off the ground. Even if it went to HBO Max it would likely be a Berlanti production anyway and it seemed quite clear BR and CF weren't leaving LOT by choice, like for a better opportunity. 

It's pretty easy just to say "I've heard GA&TC might not get picked up" when it wasn't ordered in the first wave and a couple of trades expressed doubts about the CW wanting to launch more than one new Arrowverse show in 1 season and there's now Stargirl on the horizon. No insider info necessary.

• Love 2

“[But] Riverdale’s not there,” Batwoman executive producer Caroline Dries interjected.

“That would be very weird,” DC’s Legends of Tomorrow co-showrunner Keto Shimizu added.

Meanwhile Legacies; The Vampire Diaries Spin off, just had their Crisis on Infinite Earths shoutout moment.

EOczGTDUYAA6Fys?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by CabotCove
  • Love 3

That hardcover "deluxe edition" of the tie-in comics, Crisis On Infinite Earths Giant #1 and #2, is no longer shown on Amazon as being released on Jun. 16, 2020. Now the Amazon release date is Jan. 2, 2080! ...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1779505108/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_nr-2DbE2K0TX0?fbclid=IwAR0LIRBWXH8G7nbUNsa7E-Lh2guIe8f5fOcywbxstdgOKBCw4_OvkF6YL-E 

ETA: However, some comics sites are showing a May 6, 2020 release date for this deluxe edition:
https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/9095522/crisis-on-infinite-earths-arrowverse-deluxe-edition-hc 

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1

The Sacrifice The CW's Crisis Crossover Made To Get So Many Big Names In The Episodes
BY MAE ABDULBAKI   JAN. 17. 2020 
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2488694/the-sacrifice-the-cws-crisis-crossover-made-to-get-so-many-big-names-in-the-episodes 

When the end of “Elseworlds” teased the Arrow-verse’s next crossover to be “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” excitement took hold. “Crisis on Infinite Earths” is one of DC Comics’ most ambitious stories and the fact that it was going to be adapted for The CW’s Arrow-verse was a big deal. However, executive producer Marc Guggenheim recently revealed the sacrifices that had to be made to get so many big names, including Smallville’s Tom Welling, to appear in “Crisis.”

With great crossovers come great sacrifice, apparently. While the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” storyline in the comics involved every character from DC’s repertoire, big fight sequences, and timeline overlaps, The CW’s version of the event was a lot smaller in scale. When asked if there was something from the comic books they’d have wanted to include in the TV adaptation and didn't, Marc Guggenheim explained how the budget constraints and cameos limited the extent of the action scenes in “Crisis.” Here’s what he said:

"Obviously, there are always financial limitations we run up against. We made the decision very early on that we were going to spend our money on bringing over as many characters from other universes and other properties as possible, and we did that knowing that it would probably limit the scale and grandeur of some of the fight sequences. But you make your bed and you lie in it."
It’s no wonder the financial limitations prevented the crossover from including more action sequences. Those are big-name actors! Speaking with TVLine, Marc Guggenheim also confirmed that budget restraints were the reason behind the absence of Arrow’s Laurel Lance and The Flash’s Iris West-Allen and Cisco Ramon in the fifth and final episode of “Crisis on Infinite Earths.”

The “hard financial choices” sometimes “drive the creative choices,” said Marc Guggenheim, who also approached Nicolas Cage about possibly appearing in “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” and the final product made that apparent. However, now that the crossover is done and the Arrow-verse shows are all on the same earth, Guggenheim says he’s “really excited” to find out what the post-Crisis universe looks like.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The second tie-in comic, COIE Giant #2, was supposed to go on sale in Walmart stores yesterday (with wider release in comic shops on Feb. 26), but I think people are having trouble finding it - or there was some problem with getting it released. 

I don't think anyone knows what's going on. 😕

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

'Crisis On Infinite Earths' Ending Vindicated Brandon Routh's Superman
BY JOHN ORQUIOLA    JAN 19, 2020
https://screenrant.com/crisis-infinite-earths-kingdom-come-superman-returns-ending-symbol/ 

One of the best parts of the Arrowverse's Crisis On Infinite Earths is that it vindicated Brandon Routh's Superman, restoring his iconic version of the Man of Steel to his rightful prominence after the disappointment of 2006's Superman Returns. The Arrowverse's mega-crossover involved three Supermen from TV and movies, but the announcement at last year's San Diego Comic-Con that Routh would don the red cape and blue suit again ignited the excitement for Crisis. Happily, Routh's return as Superman delivered on every level and gave epic closure to the cinematic legacy launched by Christopher Reeve's Superman movies.
Crisis On Infinite Earths even addressed Routh's Superman disappointment on a meta-level. All of Routh's Superman's loved ones were murdered by the Joker, including his Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth), although thankfully, it's implied Superman's son Jason (Tristan Lake Leabu) is still alive. But the tragedy motivated Superman to change the yellow on his S crest to black — the logo of the Kingdom Come Superman — to remind himself that "even in the darkest of times, hope cuts through". This powerfully communicated that Superman's unwavering faith in good couldn't be shattered even by his own personal losses, but it also could be read as the Arrowverse acknowledging that Routh's tenure as Superman being cut short was an injustice that didn't break the spirit of the actor or the hero he portrays.
In Crisis "Part 3," Routh's Superman was a properly inspirational member of the 7 Paragons — until Lex Luthor (Jon Cryer) killed him with the Book of Destiny and took his place as the Paragon of Truth. However, Superman's job was far from done, and when the dying Oliver Queen (as The Spectre) rebirthed the Multiverse at the dawn of time, he thankfully restored Earth-96 and its greatest hero, Superman. One of the final moments of Crisis "Part 5" showed the Man of Steel flying above the Earth, looking at the camera, and smiling — a climactic and iconic Superman movie moment that Christopher Reeve began and Brandon Routh continued.

Most importantly, the yellow on Superman's S shield was back, fully restoring the hopeful Man of Steel, at last. Essentially, Crisis gave Brandon Routh one more moment in the sun as Superman, which healed an old wound for the actor and his fans. Further, Crisis On Infinite Earths gave longtime fans of the Reeve/Routh films their beloved Superman back and reassured everyone that he is, indeed, "always around", as the hero promised he would be at the end of Superman Returns. It was the best ending and resolution to Brandon Routh's Superman journey fans could hope for — and it also leaves behind the hope that maybe one day, when the Arrowverse needs him, Brandon Routh's Superman could return.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Quotes of the Week: Evil, The Resident, AGT: The Champions, 'Crisis' and More
By Team TVLine / January 19 2020
https://tvline.com/2020/01/19/jeopardy-goat-james-holzhauer-brad-score-best-tv-quotes/
https://tvline.com/gallery/oscars-congratulations-to-those-men-best-tv-quotes/crisis-on-infinite-earths-very-sith-quote/ 

‘CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS’ Part 4

“Nice outfit. Very Sith.”

Sizing up Oliver’s Spectre duds, Ryan Choi (Osric Chau) makes his Quotes of the Week debut
‘CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS’ Part 4 (Bonus Quote!)

“Is this cosplay…? Do you want a selfie, bro?”

One Flash (Ezra Miller) tries to make sense of the other
‘CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS’ (Crisis of Infinite Quotes!)

“You! Have failed… this universe!”

Really, could Oliver (Stephen Amell) have gone out any other way?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I loved seeing Routh back in the suit, too; but I highly doubt WB is building a show around him after they fired him from Legends, cancelled the other Superman show - Krypton, and already ordered another Superman series. Try harder, rumormongers. Where's my clickbait for Ryan Choi, the new character they clearly want to establish in this new universe?

• Love 1

OC still hasn't been told if his character of Ryan Choi will return to the Arrowverse. He also said that Ryan's beard was to show the passage of time (apparently hair on superheroes doesn't grow). When asked about Ryan's disappearance after the final battle, OC said that originally, in an earlier draft of the script, there was a chair "with a certain symbol on it," but then they realized that "that wasn't a nice shape" for the table, so they removed one chair...

Osric Chau Interview! Crisis On Infinite Earths, Supernatural, The Hillywood Show, & More!
Chainsaw Reacts   Jan. 18, 2020

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1