Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Sequel

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

I don't see it. They could have gotten rid of her eons ago and didn't. Why would next time be any different - especially with a now redeemed LL/BS and the BC title most likely vacant?

Oooh you reckon they'll fire JH?

Or they'll pull BC because of the film?

22 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

I don't see it. They could have gotten rid of her eons ago and didn't. Why would next time be any different - especially with a now redeemed LL/BS and the BC title most likely vacant?

Why would Dinah permanently give up being BC? Seems to me her thinking that vigilantism isn't the right approach to dealing with Star City's issues is setting the table for her to change her mind over the course of the season.

• Love 5

They are never getting rid of Dinah or BS. We're stuck with two of basically the same character, especially if they do actually follow through with this redemption stuff. Ridiculous but it is what it is.

From the EW article linked in the Spoilers Only thread: 

Although she misses Oliver, that doesn’t mean that she has gotten over Oliver making a unilateral decision that would affect both of their lives. “She’s pissed, as she should be. That decision had her life completely remade and it wasn’t her choice,” says Rickards. “She’s upset, she’s hurt, she’s lonely, and she’s heartbroken. So, all of those intense emotions together don’t make for the best recipe.”

I'm so, so glad they're not just handwaving this aspect of Oliver's decision. I know Beth, Stephen, and Emily have all alluded to it before, but I'm finally starting to believe it, LOL. And I'm so excited to see how Felicity's anger manifests itself. I want all the angst . . . within reason, of course.

• Love 4

I think liked what EBR had to say? It sounds like they're gonna give Felicity an actual POV and voice wow! 

I just hope they don't drag out the Olicity angst too long. I never wanted them to ignore Oliver's decision because he was wrong for not telling her, but I must admit I'm a little nervous about how they're gonna handle it. They've never been good at that in the past. Felicity lashes out and can be mean, even though I know she's hurting, and then it kind of ends up as if she's in the wrong. I really don't want that. 

If it's something Beth and EBR are referencing just in terms of promoting 701, I wonder if it is something touched upon throughout 7a and then approached directly maybe 708 to clear the air before the crossover, especially since 707 seems like the big action episode and 708 seems like a smaller episode in scale in comparison.

• Love 4

I'm fully prepared to have several episodes of wanting to chuck something at the screen in the way it ends up playing out, especially since the prison arc seems so drawn out, but I'm a tiny bit more hopeful than the BMD *touches wood*. Hey they're actually talking Olicity and EBR is giving interviews, it's not just SAY and endless noobs.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I never wanted them to ignore Oliver's decision because he was wrong for not telling her, but I must admit I'm a little nervous about how they're gonna handle it. They've never been good at that in the past. Felicity lashes out and can be mean, even though I know she's hurting, and then it kind of ends up as if she's in the wrong. I really don't want that. 

Agreed. I don't know if it's the writing or the performance, but I tend to cringe when Felicity fights with Oliver because she's so petty and mean, and it makes him seem reasonable in comparison even though he's almost always at fault. (I remember her "I told you so, I told you so, I told you so" in 520 when Oliver was injured just seemed to fuel fanboy hatred of her.) She has plenty of reasons to be angry; I hope they depict it in a way that makes sense. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I just hope they don't drag out the Olicity angst too long. I never wanted them to ignore Oliver's decision because he was wrong for not telling her, but I must admit I'm a little nervous about how they're gonna handle it. They've never been good at that in the past. Felicity lashes out and can be mean, even though I know she's hurting, and then it kind of ends up as if she's in the wrong. I really don't want that. 

I'm hopeful that it will be addressed, but it won't be drawn out. I read a fic where Felicity was happy and relieved that Oliver was home and they reconnected physically. But she would spend long hours away from home working on Smoak Tech stuff, which Oliver had to learn from William, because she wasn't confiding in Oliver about her plans. And when Oliver confronted her about it, she called him out for his hypocrisy after he way he handled his prison decision. That led to them finally talking it out and resolving to move forward.

I hope that her anger will be handled a similar way on the show –– Felicity is genuinely happy to have Oliver back, but she's holding a part of herself back from him subconsciously until something triggers a confrontation with Oliver about excluding her from decisions that affect her life. And once that's out in the open, all she can really do is take a leap of faith and hope Oliver will do better in the future. I don't think she's going to try to punish him. And with so many women on the writing team, I have to imagine they'll do a better job understanding and presnting Felicity's POV than the previous regime.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I don't know if it's the writing or the performance, but I tend to cringe when Felicity fights with Oliver because she's so petty and mean, and it makes him seem reasonable in comparison even though he's almost always at fault.

I kind of feel bad then, since I actually like that aspect since it's Felicity's consistent character flaw just as much as Oliver's dumb decisions. Ultimately, I'd want them both gone, but I guess the rule is if Oliver is going to repeat his issues, Felicity might have to repeat hers. I do think it'll be a bit different since they're married, though. SA said Oliver recognizes it was a bad decision and Felicity seems to be more overwrought with tons of feelings rather than just plain being angry at him.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Agreed. I don't know if it's the writing or the performance, but I tend to cringe when Felicity fights with Oliver because she's so petty and mean, and it makes him seem reasonable in comparison even though he's almost always at fault. (I remember her "I told you so, I told you so, I told you so" in 520 when Oliver was injured just seemed to fuel fanboy hatred of her.) She has plenty of reasons to be angry; I hope they depict it in a way that makes sense. 

I think it's a little of both?

See, I have no problem with her lashing out. She's human and she's allowed flaws (and honestly, most of the time she seems too understanding and accepting of the crap Oliver does/has done). But it never looks great when Oliver just stands there like a hurt puppy with tears in his eyes and doesn't say anything. And I worry she's gonna lash out when we've just seen Oliver go through a brutal time in prison. Though maybe it'll balance out because, by the sounds of it, we're gonna see Felicity go through her own hell, too? IDK.

My ideal scenario would be Olicity reuniting as normal - relieved and happy to be together again - but Felicity is later subdued and Oliver notices and it all kind of comes out. I'd like an actual conversation where Oliver acknowledges out loud that he was wrong and Felicity admits how hurt she was that he didn't confide in her yet again. It has to be different this time because they're married now. We can't have a repeat of the way they handled things in S4. Not just because that was terrible and awful to watch for all concerned but I'd like to see how they've actually grown.

But it does concern me because Felicity always gets the hate even though Oliver is the one who messed up like 95% of the time. Fingers crossed Beth handles it better than MG/WM ever did.

NGL, "Diggle asks Curtis to go undercover for ARGUS" in the 703 description annoys me. Also, really don't care about Curtis. Unless he's going undercover in another city or on another Earth, never to be seen or heard from again.

Do care about: The offer Felicity gets (I guess from Watson? This is the episode she's back, right?)

Know I should probably care about but I'll probably be over the prison storyline by episode 3: Oliver's "biggest challenge yet"

• Love 3

Ugh. Curtis is another one they have no idea what to do with tbh. Can he die already? ?

I'm intrigued about Felicity's offer. I'm assuming it involves Watson but as to who approaches whom, no idea. I feel like she's gonna get into trouble though, because she feels like she has nothing to lose. Either way, I'm interested.

I am not sure how long Oliver's prison storyline is gonna hold my interest though. 

I love how even though the fancy headline mentions how Curtis goes undercover, the main subjects in the description are Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity. Like, the description is Diggle asks Curtis to go undercover instead of just "Curtis decides to go undercover." It removes agency from Curtis and gives it to Diggle XD

• Love 5

It seems like the only NTA member they now what to do with is Dinah and that's because she's suddenly become Chief of Police.  I know that Oliver's deal kept her from being arrested as the Black Canary but don't they have any suspicions about her that would keep her from being promoted?

"It's definitely going to affect his marriage," Schwartz said of Oliver's sacrifice idiocy. "That's definitely going to be brought up. [Felicity] didn't like that too much."

Fixed that for you, Beth.

On 10/8/2018 at 6:03 PM, Trisha said:

I’m already sick of seeing BS working with the team. And my expectations for the prison stuff are so very low, at this point I can only be pleasantly surprised if those scenes manage to be interesting enough to not FF through. 

MG said that there would be a death in s4 and this one would really stick.  It did, technically but it seems like all they've done is replaced E1LL with E2LL, who doesn't even have the benefit of finishing high school much less college and law school.  There isn't enough difference in E1LL and DA/BS to make a real difference.  Why didn't they just keep the original LL if they still wanted to keep her? 

Between this and making the lamest villain of the show a regular for his second season, I'm really questioning the showrunning decisions.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 10

The decision to keep Curtis boggles my mind. I know people say he's their minority character but he's a massive fail. Surely they should just off him and try again.

NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE gives a f#ck about Curtis. BS at least has all the KC followers. 

I am really intrigued about the Olicity stuff (the Felicity stuff I am expecting to be awesome). In real life I think it would be a case where you just accept this is the idiot you married and you make contingencies for it (my husband messed up packet jelly this morning after working on it for 2 hours while I was asleep). I honestly don't think Oliver can change that part of him and Felicity will just have to keep tabs on him. We've been through this before with BMD and they had a BIG BIG thing about it in 520. 

I hope they don't use this as an excuse to blow them up (I doubt it but but I don't trust these writers). Season 5 confirmed that they cannot live without each other so Felicity may as well assume he'll continue to be super stupid and keep tabs on him. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

So there's a bandana situation happening in the crossover. Also, it involves jeans and a chain on a wallet. The crossover already seems like it's going to be bananas.

DpWiaEbW4AE34rm.jpg:large

On another note, Stephen confirmed that William is going to play a bigger role this season, and I was surprised at how happy that made me. I can't help it. I just really like watching him with Felicity, and I love the Queen family as a unit.

The whole chat is on FB, but if you just want to read what he said, Paige has graciously transcribed most of it on Twitter (if you click below, you should be able to pull up the entire thread).

• Love 3

Although she misses Oliver, that doesn’t mean that she has gotten over Oliver making a unilateral decision that would affect both of their lives. “She’s pissed, as she should be. That decision had her life completely remade and it wasn’t her choice,” says Rickards. “She’s upset, she’s hurt, she’s lonely, and she’s heartbroken. So, all of those intense emotions together don’t make for the best recipe.”

This line combined with episode 3's description of Felicity getting an intriguing offer makes me think, yeah, she'll cross some lines. [When I wrote this I completely forgot that the name of the episode is Crossing Lines, lol] So if she does end up working with BS, then at least we can blame Oliver for her compromised decision-making skills, lol.  

3 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

NGL, "Diggle asks Curtis to go undercover for ARGUS" in the 703 description annoys me. Also, really don't care about Curtis. Unless he's going undercover in another city or on another Earth, never to be seen or heard from again.

Do care about: The offer Felicity gets (I guess from Watson? This is the episode she's back, right?)

Know I should probably care about but I'll probably be over the prison storyline by episode 3: Oliver's "biggest challenge yet"

If Oliver's biggest challenge yet is him just locked in solitary and it's all him self-examining his mistakes and choices and losses, I might actually enjoy that one.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, way2interested said:

Yeah, I'm partially guessing that William is the one who gets the suit and him with Roy (given the hozen shot) is part of Roy's secret plot.

Oooh, if so, Felicity is going to kill Roy when she finds out. And then Oliver will repeat the process when he gets out of jail. 

• Love 7

The CW's official 703 synopsis lists Ben Bray as the director and Emilio Ortega Aldrich & Tonya Kong as the writers.

However, Beth Schwartz had tweeted the 703 title page back in August. That title page listed Gordon Verheul as the director, with story by Elizabeth Kim and teleplay by Onalee Hunter Hughes & Sarah Tarkoff:

Moreover, Beth had also tweeted the 704 title page (with blacked-out title) back in August. That title page listed Ben Bray as the director and Emilio Ortega Aldrich & Tonya Kong as the writers:

So, if you go by Beth's tweets and the scripts, then The CW mistakenly used the 704 directing/writing credits for their 703 synopsis.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, tv echo said:

What's hilarious about this is that I just scrolled through all 378+ comments and counting...and so far, there's a lot excited for Olicity/OTA, a good chunk excited for Dinah/Laurel/Black Siren, a few excited for Roy and William, one guy excited for more Diaz, with a handful more hoping for Diaz to die....and absolutely not a single person naming NTA as something exciting. I'm not even joking. Nobody named Dinah Drake, Curtis, or Rene at all. 

• Love 11

I’m mildly curious to see how Beth is going to handle the issues the show has with NTA and the apparent audience dislike for them.

They can’t exactly give them nothing to do because they seem to be committed to keeping them around so they’ll have to have a story, but giving them a lot to do in an attempt to course correct and “fix” the characters will likely annoy fans even more and potentially make the problem worse. 

• Love 3

They gave them all more to do last season and the boobs went from tolerated by me to GTFO right now, trying to rehabilitate them by giving them even more is just going to annoy me but I think them trying to rehab 3D as a big bad villain is going to annoy me more, especially if/when they sacrifice characterisation or characters to do it.

I guess I'm morbidly curious about how they're going to handle two screamers encroaching on each others territory.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

What's hilarious about this is that I just scrolled through all 378+ comments and counting...and so far, there's a lot excited for Olicity/OTA, a good chunk excited for Dinah/Laurel/Black Siren, a few excited for Roy and William, one guy excited for more Diaz, with a handful more hoping for Diaz to die....and absolutely not a single person naming NTA as something exciting. I'm not even joking. Nobody named Dinah Drake, Curtis, or Rene at all. 

I saw one NTA mention yesterday when I was reading through the replies. It was someone saying she was interested to see how NTA was going to repent for last season. LOL.

The thing is, I don't think they are going to repent. The sense I got from Beth's previous comments about everyone getting along is that the writers are taking the "Let's sweep this under the rug" approach to dealing with both the civil war storyline and how much the audience came to hate NTA. We already kind of saw it in 621-23. Personally, I think this is the wrong approach. I hate NTA and would prefer it if they were off the show, but if the show actually acknowledged how horribly they behaved and showed them trying to atone for it this season, I could return to my S5 feelings of thinking they were unnecessary but harmless. But a few half-assed apologies wasn't sufficient to redeem them, and I have a feeling I'm going to be especially pissed watching Oliver and Felicity suffer during the first half of the season while the worst thing that happens to NTA is that they can't cosplay superheroes at night.

• Love 12

I also got the sense from Beth that they're gonna try and pretend the civil war mess didn't happen but that's actually the problem. NTA never suffered any consequences for their actions. Dinah's getting an unearned promotion - her 3rd in the 1 year or so she's been on the show. Rene has his kid and is teaching other kids to box or whatever. Curtis is employed by ARGUS by the sounds of it. All living their lives as normal while Oliver, Felicity and William go through all kinds of hell.

If they want people to warm up to NTA again, or at least mildly tolerate them, they need to have them actually suffer some consequences for what they did. Say some genuine apologies. Until then, it's not gonna work for a lot of people. 

My guess is they're probably gonna stick NTA with Felicity and Diggle in hope that it will make fans like them. That's what they usually do. I'm guessing Rene will be having a few more scenes with Felicity and of course Curtis is gonna be with Diggle. IDK about Dinah, nor do I care. The less of her, the better. I'd legit rather have E1 Laurel back. That's how bad she is.

Edited by Guest

The thing is, honestly, nothing can warm me up to NTA after last season. And I’m honestly a bit iffy about Diggle right now. 

Also, the ones NTA need to grovel to are Oliver, Felicity and William. With Oliver in prison and Felicity and William in witness protection, I feel like they’ll find it easy to skip that because by the time Felicity comes back, the focus will be on getting Diaz and who can/can’t do that in Diggle/ARGUS/the law’s eyes. 

• Love 2

I feel for Beth because she’s in a tough spot. She’s the showrunner, but the old showrunner is still around and involved. It sounds like she wants to make changes but Marc is there and she has to negotiate that. It reminds me of when a new pastor comes into a church and the old pastor sticks around. Even in the best of situations that creates awkwardness and a reluctance to make needed course corrections. Wise old pastors take a long “sabbatical” to let the new person get their feet under them. 

Beth may want NTA to have some consequences but she feels like she has to respect the story (and showrunner) that came before. It annoys me, but I’m sympathetic.

Edited by bethy
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, bethy said:

Beth may want NTA to have some consequences but she feels like she has to respect the story (and showrunner) that came before. It annoys me, but I’m sympathetic.

That's not how it is, though. Beth is the boss, period. If she doesn't want to write the newbies a certain way, that's because that's what she and the writers' room wants, nothing to do with what MG and WM did. MG has even said repeatedly that Beth is making all of the story decisions now, so there's no negotiations between them.

If that isn't how it is and Beth is actually constrained, then she sure isn't acting like it with her herself repeatedly posting about how she's the boss and proud of how she's been handling her new role.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 1

I just do not get why Oliver and the Two people who never wavered from trusting him, Felicity and William have to suffer why POS NTA have no Consquences, BS and DDDiaz still get to breathe. I just don't get why the Writers continue to have Oliver and Felicity be the only ones suffering it's so Ridiculous 

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, way2interested said:

That's not how it is, though. Beth is the boss, period. If she doesn't want to write the newbies a certain way, that's because that's what she and the writers' room wants, nothing to do with what MG and WM did. MG has even said repeatedly that Beth is making all of the story decisions now, so there's no negotiations between them.

If that isn't how it is and Beth is actually constrained, then she sure isn't acting like it with her herself repeatedly posting about how she's the boss and proud of how she's been handling her new role.

I totally get and believe that she’s the boss. I’m just saying that having the former showrunner and her former boss still involved in the show in some capacity has the potential to make things awkward and to color the decisions she’s making - no matter how much they both say it’s not the case. They may not explicitly be negotiating storylines, but she’s still having to negotiate the interpersonal relationships involved in the show, I would imagine. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

The thing is, I don't think they are going to repent. The sense I got from Beth's previous comments about everyone getting along is that the writers are taking the "Let's sweep this under the rug" approach to dealing with both the civil war storyline and how much the audience came to hate NTA. 

Sweeping it under the rug is definitely going to annoy me more.  Especially if I’m sitting through Felicity and William being isolated and under attack and multiple episodes of Oliver being beaten down in prison while NTA get promotions and live without consequence.

Simply putting Rene with Felicity isn’t going to do anything towards redeeming him if there is no recognition on his part that he is responsible for their current situation. Dinah getting another (unearned) promotion only doubles down on the easy ride she’s had as a character since she was first introduced on the show.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, bethy said:

I’m just saying that having the former showrunner and her former boss still involved in the show in some capacity has the potential to make things awkward and to color the decisions she’s making - no matter how much they both say it’s not the case.

It might, if their decisions are actually different, which we have no hints if they actually are. Personally, I think the writers' room (including Beth, MG, WM, and the other writers) just see the newbies completely different than the audience, actually really liking them and wanting the audience to like them (like any writer for any story) to just low levels of success. Nothing more complicated than that.

3 minutes ago, bethy said:

They may not explicitly be negotiating storylines, but she’s still having to negotiate the interpersonal relationships involved in the show, I would imagine. 

No. Showrunner gets final say in what happens, except when CW or WB tells them no. If there are negotiations in relationships involved in the show, Beth has to decide the call or not. If she actually does adhere to other ideas that are completely counter to hers because of "relationships," that's on her and her leadership style, not on the situation. 

6 hours ago, jay741982 said:

I just do not get why Oliver and the Two people who never wavered from trusting him, Felicity and William have to suffer why POS NTA have no Consquences, BS and DDDiaz still get to breathe. I just don't get why the Writers continue to have Oliver and Felicity be the only ones suffering it's so Ridiculous 

I completely agree with this sentiment but I'm going to try and answer the question anyway.  I think part of the reason why Oliver and Felicity are the ones suffering is we wouldn't give a damn about following the suffering of the NTA so the bulk of the pain has to fall on the ones we do care about.  

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I completely agree with this sentiment but I'm going to try and answer the question anyway.  I think part of the reason why Oliver and Felicity are the ones suffering is we wouldn't give a damn about following the suffering of the NTA so the bulk of the pain has to fall on the ones we do care about.  

Too true! Most likely they KNOW we will sit back and cackle to see NTA suffer so what's the point. 

Although me watching Curtis bleed out might make me less bitter....just saying!

5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Too true! Most likely they KNOW we will sit back and cackle to see NTA suffer so what's the point. 

Although me watching Curtis bleed out might make me less bitter....just saying!

Yeah, I really don't want a long drawn out story about the suffering of the NTA cause I don't want to waste my time on them but I do really wish we could have had at least an episode of suffering or an arc that started off with them having less of what they want in life.  Just something that lets us see they faced consequences.  And that they knew their actions led to that moment.  

I think the closest we are going to get is them feeling unsatisfied with their new lives even if Dinah and BS clearly have major promotions that really are underserved (though with Dinah it's easier to forgive since there was no one left at the SCPD alive and not corrupt).  Rene, no matter what kind of job he has, will have his daughter back which is exactly what he wanted and while i want to not let him have any good thing, I dont' want to make the daughter suffer.  Curtis I do take petty satisfaction in knowing he blew up the rest of his life (his marriage) for putting on a mask for what, two years?  Idiot.  

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Curtis I do take petty satisfaction in knowing he blew up the rest of his life (his marriage) for putting on a mask for what, two years?  Idiot. 

Ngl, I feel bad that I actually wanted his new bf to die in 701 just because I feel Curtis has been the least affected out of all of this. Rene at least did apologize personally to Oliver (whether that changes anything Hoss is beyond that, but Dinah and Curtis had no such scene). Dinah did temporarily lose her job and being a cop/vigilante is basically all she has, so putting those things in flux would at least be a bit distressing (the fact that she got her job back and more pretty fast is the major problem here. During the end of s6 and hiatus, she only lost one or the other, never both, counter for Oliver and Felicity who lost everything except for Felicity being able to at least be with William). Curtis, besides his bf being attacked but still able to recover just fine, is barely emotionally affected. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I agree with that but yet its so damn ridiculous and annoying. I'm tired of them suffering while assholes prosper. And I personally want to see NTA BS and Diaz suffer. And off this show. Only care about OTA and Roy

• Love 2

Going from the clip, I'm guessing this happens near the middle. Then, Oliver has his scene with Felicity which pushes him to join the bad guys at then end to make sure he gets out when he planned to to get back to his family.

Edited by way2interested
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

Can they keep him?

Beth talked about him in an interview so i hope so.

What’s to come for Curtis, this season?

SCHWARTZ:  We are going to see that Curtis was little more traumatized than we thought from how things went down last season, which is why he specifically chose this position in Argus. That will come out this season.

http://collider.com/arrow-season-7-interview-beth-schwartz/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social#felicity-smoak

• Love 1

WTF. Curtis was traumatized? Okay, yeah, he and his BF were attacked, but come on. Okay, fine, but if I have to see any extended storyline for Curtis, I better be getting the Curtis I liked in S4, not the Curtis of S5/S6 who I expect to actually whine about not being arrested/in witness protection/etc. like he complained about not being interrogated/subpoenaed.

I actually sometimes miss liking Curtis. He was a good character once upon a time. Remember that? 

• Love 5

Oliver's getting beaten up in prison and is away from his wife and son. Felicity has been isolated from everyone she knows and is also getting beaten up to defend herself and her son, and they're suggesting Curtis is traumatized?

Are they for real? OMG.  ?

Edited by Guest