Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Hangout Lighting 07.17.18

• Start Topic

(edited)

A Chicago-based lighting company sparks innovation with unique designs and customizable options, but the owner's lack of leadership causes sales to fizzle; if Marcus can't convince her to value her team, it may be lights out for this startup.

10 minutes in, I wanted to punch Jen in the face.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 12

Those two broke up. And, like most breakups, this breakup has engendered resentment, negative feelings, and unhealthy power dynamics. I think it is fair to say that these two should not be working side-by-side as co-owners AND employer-employee. Duh.

• Love 3

I had no idea Hinsdale IL had so many stunning 19th century buildings. Am I crazy or did Marcus say his  building was from the "very early 1800's" ? That has to be wrong, right?

Based on what I was able to see from the show, the lighting choices for that building were impressive but aggressively ahistorical. As advertising, it is probably quite effective. As design it is borderline vulgar? (Is America still going to be in love with pendant-style Edison bulb lighting ten years from now? Feels like a trend more than a revival to me...)

• Love 5

I also was confused by the lighting in that building.  Marcus said he was restoring it to original and then asked for weirdly modern lights.  

I don't like Jen and I don't think it's going to get any better.  She's just a control freak.  I get that Brian wants to "be a part of something", but why THAT something?  I just feel whatever reasons they had for breaking up will always be there and that isn't good business. 

• Love 7

I have a feeling the building was used to "showcase" the lighting company & get other companies interested in them.  But as for keeping them in place once the party was over...I don't think so.  Restoring a 19th century building to its "original" form doesn't include HGTV faux farmhouse/warehouse chic light fixtures from the 21st century IMO.  The lights were cool and I definitely think there is a huge market for them, but they just don't look right in that gorgeous building.  I prefer to keep styles/periods of design in line with the building/architecture.  I personally wouldn't put a Danish Modern sofa in a rehabbed Victorian living room.

As for Jennifer...there's another control freak who won't change.  I feel bad for the rest of the employees, and I hope they get better offers elsewhere.   

• Love 2

I counted 4 broken heart sweaters: red, yellow, white, blue. Oh my God. Give it a rest Marcus, it ain't happening.

I think Dustin came out the real winner.  Personally, I don't care for exposed fillament lighting.

• Love 9

I haven't finished this episode yet, but why-the-hell is Dr. Phil trying to force Brian on this business? What does he even bring to the table? I'm sure he'd be fine to keep around if he's just some random dude, but he's her ex-boyfriend. Nothing good will come from this. Ever. It's clear from the opening scenes of this episode and only re-enforced over and over again that they have an awkward relationship and lots of undisclosed baggage. He's not a creative visionary or the heart-and-soul of the company. He's a guy who kind of knows computers (and has to outsource the web development). Hire another guy who kind of knows computers and can outsource web development who isn't her ex-boyfriend. This isn't rocket science. Neither is "making a dashboard in Google analytics" btw. Can't wait for the follow-up episode where this blows up.

• Love 5

I think this is one of those companies that Marcus invests in that will actually be successful.  Yes, Jen is a control freak, but she seems to "know" that already, and brought Marcus in specifically to help her with her shortcomings.  She wants to be better, and she's not obstinate.  Coupled with the fact that she has an already successful business and a talent for the work tells me that this will be a "W" in Marcus' playbook.

Did Marcus understand that the sales dude who quit to start his own business, but who Marcus brought back in, was into the legalized (or not) weed industry?  It hilariously seemed like Marcus was completely oblivious (especially when he pointed to the "High There" sign and said, "Bye there! hahaha").

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I counted 4 broken heart sweaters: red, yellow, white, blue. Oh my God. Give it a rest Marcus, it ain't happening.

I think Dustin came out the real winner.  Personally, I don't care for exposed fillament lighting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again, and again...) those sweaters are SO ugly!!!  

• Love 4

"If Jen's not going to be clear, I'll be clear. We need a website right now and we need it to be good."

That's so very clear now, thanks Marcus.

I'm not sure from the episode whether Brian wanted clear direction about what to do, or if he wanted the freedom to make his own decisions.

After less than an hour with him I certainly can't make any real judgments (I'm not Marcus Lemonis, after all), but in my experience, that kind of attitude comes from someone who wants the glory of success without the responsibility, risk, or the work required to get there. They don't have the initiative or the drive to actually make things happen.

I generally liked the look of the showcase display they did. Yes, there was a juxtaposition of the historic building versus the very modern faux-historical lighting, but the idea was to showcase their capabilities, not to go for historical accuracy.

So while the atmosphere seemed nice, it left me with the impression that they have 1 style of light and that's all. The hanging Edison bulb and a whole bunch of... sameness. I guess there were a few different brassy shapes throughout the rooms, but there was no real creativity in the lighting. Nothing unique or noteworthy at all.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, ae2 said:

"If Jen's not going to be clear, I'll be clear. We need a website right now and we need it to be good."

I literally LOLed at that. I actually liked Jen just fine and liked her business. I hope it does well.

I would totally invest in High There if I could.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gregg247 said:

I think this is one of those companies that Marcus invests in that will actually be successful.  Yes, Jen is a control freak, but she seems to "know" that already, and brought Marcus in specifically to help her with her shortcomings.  She wants to be better, and she's not obstinate.  Coupled with the fact that she has an already successful business and a talent for the work tells me that this will be a "W" in Marcus' playbook.

Did Marcus understand that the sales dude who quit to start his own business, but who Marcus brought back in, was into the legalized (or not) weed industry?  It hilariously seemed like Marcus was completely oblivious (especially when he pointed to the "High There" sign and said, "Bye there! hahaha").

I totally agree with everything you said. I didn't find Jen to be all that bad. She managed to renegotiate with Marcus and seemed willing to learn. None of this telling Marcus he doesn't know what he's talking about and where he' s wrong. She seemed to be in a much better place at the end of the episode. The best part was that they spared us the gruesome details of the breakup. It could have easily gone into Dr. Phil territory. I like the show a lot more when it sticks basically to the business. Marcus's bye there was hilarious. He didn't have a clue.

• Love 2

I don't care for the light styles, especially at those prices. But I did think the space looked good and Jen is one of the better bosses. Yeah it's awkward giving equity to an ex, but it's also awkward keeping an ex around in a pseudo-leadership position and not compensating him. It wasn't wrong to push for a decision one way or another.

Join us next week when Marcus tries to save a struggling bong water flavoring business.

• Love 3
(edited)

I find it hard to believe Marcus did not understand that Dustin is in the weed business, especially after he mentioned bong water. And not too long ago Marcus did a whole special show on legalized marijuana and what a huge business it is. I think he said in that show that it wasn't a business he would get into due to his own personal ethics. Maybe Dustin can change his mind with some righteous Broken Heart Bong designs.  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 8

I am never able to fathom that there are actual companies that have no defined roles or process.  We've seen manufacturing companies where the flow of the goods being assembled was crazy illogical and horribly laid out.  And warehouses that were terribly disorganized with no inventory system. Jen saying that she wasn't comfortable handing out assignments saying "You do this" and "You do that" is completely beyond my comprehension.  Her inability to give up some tasks/functions would be understandable if she was particularly good at them, but it doesn't sound like she was.

And yeah, Brian was underwhelming.

• Love 6

I have some thoughts on the actual lighting business, but I'm a little hung up on Dustin's new business.  Flavored bong water?  I thought the bong water was just something you dump out, like the water you boil spaghetti in.  Plus, isn't marijuana still illegal in Illinois?  Or is it in that status that California had until recently, where it was legal as "medicinal" but everybody pretended it wasn't?

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 9:02 AM, Inspector Bucket said:

I had no idea Hinsdale IL had so many stunning 19th century buildings. Am I crazy or did Marcus say his  building was from the "very early 1800's" ? That has to be wrong, right?

Based on what I was able to see from the show, the lighting choices for that building were impressive but aggressively ahistorical. As advertising, it is probably quite effective. As design it is borderline vulgar? (Is America still going to be in love with pendant-style Edison bulb lighting ten years from now? Feels like a trend more than a revival to me...)

On 7/18/2018 at 12:50 PM, Whimsy said:

I also was confused by the lighting in that building.  Marcus said he was restoring it to original and then asked for weirdly modern lights.  

I don't like Jen and I don't think it's going to get any better.  She's just a control freak.  I get that Brian wants to "be a part of something", but why THAT something?  I just feel whatever reasons they had for breaking up will always be there and that isn't good business. 

22 hours ago, TVbitch said:

22 hours ago, sarthaz said:

I haven't finished this episode yet, but why-the-hell is Dr. Phil trying to force Brian on this business? What does he even bring to the table? I'm sure he'd be fine to keep around if he's just some random dude, but he's her ex-boyfriend. Nothing good will come from this. Ever. It's clear from the opening scenes of this episode and only re-enforced over and over again that they have an awkward relationship and lots of undisclosed baggage. He's not a creative visionary or the heart-and-soul of the company. He's a guy who kind of knows computers (and has to outsource the web development). Hire another guy who kind of knows computers and can outsource web development who isn't her ex-boyfriend. This isn't rocket science. Neither is "making a dashboard in Google analytics" btw. Can't wait for the follow-up episode where this blows up.

21 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again, and again...) those sweaters are SO ugly!!!  

21 hours ago, ae2 said:

I'm not sure from the episode whether Brian wanted clear direction about what to do, or if he wanted the freedom to make his own decisions.

After less than an hour with him I certainly can't make any real judgments (I'm not Marcus Lemonis, after all), but in my experience, that kind of attitude comes from someone who wants the glory of success without the responsibility, risk, or the work required to get there. They don't have the initiative or the drive to actually make things happen.

I generally liked the look of the showcase display they did. Yes, there was a juxtaposition of the historic building versus the very modern faux-historical lighting, but the idea was to showcase their capabilities, not to go for historical accuracy.

So while the atmosphere seemed nice, it left me with the impression that they have 1 style of light and that's all. The hanging Edison bulb and a whole bunch of... sameness. I guess there were a few different brassy shapes throughout the rooms, but there was no real creativity in the lighting. Nothing unique or noteworthy at all.

19 hours ago, LDHW said:

5b4faef85773c_tenor(1).gif.5deefd58857b9250ad043c4a1d7a517f.gif

#heartsweaters 

19 hours ago, Orillia said:

I totally agree with everything you said. I didn't find Jen to be all that bad. She managed to renegotiate with Marcus and seemed willing to learn. None of this telling Marcus he doesn't know what he's talking about and where he' s wrong. She seemed to be in a much better place at the end of the episode. The best part was that they spared us the gruesome details of the breakup. It could have easily gone into Dr. Phil territory. I like the show a lot more when it sticks basically to the business. Marcus's bye there was hilarious. He didn't have a clue.

Good Zeus, does Marcus not realize how fat and grumpy he looks in those sweaters? He probably thinks this is a great way to establish his new wife’s “brand” but the sweaters look stupid and cheap. I liked the owner and really did not see what the ex boyfriend was bringing to the table to merit equity. The guy sorta designed a half assed website...is that really all that irreplaceable? It was refreshing to see a business that was pulling a profit and not trying to do a bunch of shady shit with the books. My concern was that the company seemed to based on the hanging Edison pendant chandelier style. I have no idea if this will be timeless or go the way of shag carpeting and wood paneling. They will probably need to go into other styles if they want to become the Qdoba of lighting fixtures.  That building was beautiful and I am glad Marcus is preserving it.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
(edited)

Hey, Brian. If you are appearing on a show that shoots close, maybe you want to shave??? And don’t tell me it is part of your look, because nothing about you suggests stubble or scruff is an aesthetic choice. 

Edited by Josiah Bounderby
  • Love 2
(edited)

I liked this episode.  No bullshit causes.  No talking about the "message" or "story" behind the product.  It certainly helped that the business wasn't in distress, but more just stagnant.  I was surprised that Jen was able to renegotiate equity down not once but twice.  Agreed that they didn't really show what Brian was doing to deserve equity though.  He seems to be a valuable employee deserving a good position, but not that equity level good.  I'm just glad Jen and Brian are able to work together amicably, unlike those screaming lunatics from Worldwide Trailers.

Also I was totally crushing on Jen.  Pretty, smart, driven.  <3 <3 <3

Isn't Chicago kind of expensive?  How far can a $50,000 salary get you there?

Edited by Ray Adverb
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

I liked this episode.  No bullshit causes.  No talking about the "message" or "story" behind the product.  

But, but, but, how will I know if I should buy their lights or not if there's no social message.  How will I be able to feel superior to others about my light fixture purchases?  Marcus has been so consistent in teaching me that I should never buy anything that doesn't have a deeper purpose, so now I'm just distraught about my lighting potential purchases.  Oh, and I just don't what to do about my future negotiating if the best offer is no longer the best offer.

I am just so confused-I better go grab some wine...

• Love 3

Also I was totally crushing on Jen.  Pretty, smart, driven.  <3 <3 <3

She might be crazy to work for, but I kind of liked her...

Isn't Chicago kind of expensive?  How far can a $50,000 salary get you there?

Yes, but it depends on where they were located, and where he lives - are they in the city proper? A nearby suburb? Does he have a small apartment? Does he live outside the city and take the train to the office?  I know people back in NYC with lower salaries, but they live out in Queens or Brooklyn in a small apartment (or with roommates) and take the subway into Manhattan to work.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Hinsdale IL, mentioned upthread.

Thanks!  I used to go to Downers Grove, the next town over, all the time to visit an ad agency client of ours.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Thanks!  I used to go to Downers Grove, the next town over, all the time to visit an ad agency client of ours.

I want to drown myself in a lake just thinking about a place called "Downers Grove"

• Love 2

I seem to recall that in an earlier season Marcus invested in a lighting company.  Am I remembering correctly?  If so, did that deal fall apart?  Otherwise, investing in a second lighting company is an interesting choice.  Unless, of course, the first investment was hugely successful and he's trying to repeat that success.

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I seem to recall that in an earlier season Marcus invested in a lighting company.  Am I remembering correctly?  If so, did that deal fall apart?  Otherwise, investing in a second lighting company is an interesting choice.  Unless, of course, the first investment was hugely successful and he's trying to repeat that success.

The deal went through but the company eventually failed anyway.  The owner just couldn't seem to do the work well enough to get the orders right and keep the business going.

• Love 2

Sigh. Where to start...

"My first offer is always the best offer..." and it looks like that is still the case.  25% for $250k or 20% Marcus, 5% bonus for $200k. Lol and she seemed to think she won out in that deal. No you dumbass, you still gave up 25% but for $50 less. And Dustin can't add up in excel - well you can't seem to add up in your head...

I hated that she kept agreeing to something and then backtracking. That's a wimpy move! Marcus, Dustin, Brian... who else? "But i thought if you were a business owner, you have to be a bit cold..." what? You have some wacky ideas about business owners, especially when you can't stand up and state your mind at the first meeting, but agree, then backtrack. 

I loved the building restoration and it did seem to be just a showcase.  

Edison lights are not a longstanding design item.  

When she said that 60% of her sales were ETSY i had to stop and stare off into space.

• Love 1
On 7/20/2018 at 7:10 PM, hatchetgirl said:

"My first offer is always the best offer..." and it looks like that is still the case.  25% for $250k or 20% Marcus, 5% bonus for $200k. Lol and she seemed to think she won out in that deal. No you dumbass, you still gave up 25% but for $50 less.

The 5% came out of Marcus's cut. 

First offer: $250k for 33%.
Second offer: $250k for 25%.
Third offer: $200k for 20%, "5% of that will go into a shared bonus plan."

So she negotiated well; going first from a $750k valuation to a million, and then to a new deal that lets her keep 80% and supports the company as well.

And then Marcus put in another $100k for the website mentioned only as a voiceover so we have no idea where they ended up.

• Love 1
On 7/21/2018 at 10:50 PM, Amarsir said:

The 5% came out of Marcus's cut. 

First offer: $250k for 33%.
Second offer: $250k for 25%.
Third offer: $200k for 20%, "5% of that will go into a shared bonus plan."

So she negotiated well; going first from a $750k valuation to a million, and then to a new deal that lets her keep 80% and supports the company as well.

And then Marcus put in another $100k for the website mentioned only as a voiceover so we have no idea where they ended up.

I think we all misheard him weeks ago. He said "My third offer is my best."

• Love 6

I'm not reacting well to this episode. I feel like Jen got rid of the person Marcus liked, and he actively undermined her after that. The smirking from her ex was also obnoxious. What, exactly, did he contribute to get equity? Time spent? 

She's controlling, and she needs to learn some leadership skills, but... Maybe focus on that, on her development. 

Weird episodes in this set. I like Marcus less now. 

On 7/18/2018 at 4:19 PM, ae2 said:

That was my impression as well. To me, it's like owning a flooring shop, and having only one type of flooring -- luxury vinyl tile in faux wood plank that is colored grey. You just have several different versions of the same grey and call that customizable.  It may do well while that look is in, but how is this going to do in the long-term when the look becomes off trend and dated?

• Love 2

I agree that they seemed to only have one style of lighting, and though it's been trendy on home reno shows, and with other commercial and home installations for a few years now, I think it's time is almost up, and this company will either change dramatically or be gone.     You'll know the trend is gone when the renovation shows move on to the next trend.      

• Love 1