Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07 Betsy 2018.07.17

This is the second episode where I had the same viewpoint as Jane, but thought she was so obnoxious about her opinion that I sided with Sutton in most of their conversations. Was she this annoying last season?

I know some people are tired of Kat/Adena drama, but I think it is a pretty interesting storyline to explore.

• Love 13

Jane was really condescending about Sutton and the gun. Sutton is a responsible gun owner—she's had training, the case has a lock that gets used, and she stores it out of plain sight. It's kind of gross she manipulated Sutton to get rid of Betsy, even if Sutton seemed to be okay with it.

I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't have the cliché of Adena walking in on Kat having sex.

And LOL that Sutton was surprised Oliver knew Tyler. As Oliver pointed out, he's been in the business for 20 years and he knows people.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Jane was really condescending about Sutton and the gun. Sutton is a responsible gun owner—she's had training, the case has a lock that gets used, and she stores it out of plain sight. It's kind of gross she manipulated Sutton to get rid of Betsy, even if Sutton seemed to be okay with it.

I thought it was wrong how she forced Sutton to get rid of the gun too, but I do get not wanting to live in a house with a gun. But Sutton could have gotten a storage locker or something. Jane was just really annoying about it.

2 minutes ago, sashayshante said:

Also, what kind of job lets you take off for a few hours at your leisure?

TV jobs.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

This is the second episode where I had the same viewpoint as Jane, but thought she was so obnoxious about her opinion that I sided with Sutton in most of their conversations. Was she this annoying last season?

I know some people are tired of Kat/Adena drama, but I think it is a pretty interesting storyline to explore.

Her religion hang-up... Her whinefest on race... This gun thing.. Her breast cancer issues.. Omg she's super exhausting... I'm glad the show makes her that way tho.. Cuz some of my generation and folks who share my opinion on a great many things.. Can still come across as super self-righteous  and tv needs to show real flawed unperfect characters 

• Love 10

Also.. Where the hell is Alex.. I know male voices aren't really big on this show.. But damn man... Dude gets so little.  And he was a pretty important friend to Jane early on season one.. And of course him and Sutton had their thing before she chose Richard( for like 3 weeks.. Then dumped him)  but haven't seen much if him this year.. Cept to have some blk Folk time with kat and oliver

• Love 5

I miss Alex as well. Loved his new look and then they threw him to the side for Adena dramaz and Jane being a self righteous snob for the third week in a row. She gets all the good guys on this show- how is that? I wish Sutton kept the gun because she was responsible about it and it would have been a different turn to the story instead of the usual “all guns are bad” storyline (and I’m not a fan of guns). 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

That would be me. Once again, it's the Kat & Adena show, & I thought the whole thing was stupid. Is Kat even gay? She was straight until Adena, I don't think that necessarily makes her gay, she could still be straight but fell in love with someone who just happened to be the same sex, or she could be bisexual. Having Adena tell her to go "exploring" just seems to be ridiculous to me.

Jane seriously needs to lighten up.

• Love 6

Ugh. I'm a bleeding heart lefty who thinks guns are bad and would be pissed if my housemate had one in the apartment without telling me -- and even I was on Team Sutton by the end of this just because Jane was such a condescending jerk about it all. I also wish they hadn't made it about Sutton's mom's drinking and just let her be a person who enjoys skeet shooting because it's something she grew up doing.  

Also, different desks don't make you think differently. Jacqueline is being mean. 

• Love 12

I think the show wimped out.. Seemingly all episode it positioned Jane ( obviously a stand-in for the most strident of progressives.. The good and the bad of it)  as in the wrong as she was judgemental(again) snobby selfish self-involved (columbine happened near me and although I was in no danger I want to be affected to) and really kinda unwilling to change... just generally a crappy friend...  Yet they still managed for her to get her way and for Sutton who basically everyone sided with still got rid of it because Jane brought up Sutton's wino mom... If the show had more guts they woulda left Sutton with her gun she woulda called Jane out for crying about being uncomfortable while also pushing to make Sutton uncomfortable by getting rid of her prized gun... It woulda shown that us leftys don't wanna take ur guns ...especially if ur a responsible owner like Sutton... And next weeks preview seems were at it again.. I bet Jane will have an issue writing about teen pregnancy because she had a mom...If it seemed like she was learning or growing.. Maybe I wouldn't have such a foul taste in my mouth.. But I'm not seeing it 

• Love 3

I thought Jane wants to be this hard hitting journalist but it seems to me alot of what she writes is just her opinion with a sprinkle of factual information. My friend owns a gun and how I mind fucked her to get rid of it.

I don't have problem with people owning guns. I live in PA and we do have off for the first day of hunting. So Sutton having a shot gun of all things isn't as horrible as Jane is making it out to be. And jeeze I wonder what childhood tramatic event in Jane's past that we will learn about next.

Dead mom ✓

Close proximity to a famous school shooting. ✓

I wanted Sutton to atleat threaten to move out. Why should Jane get her way and force Sutton to get rid of something with clear sentimental value. I don't get how Sutton and Kat have such a close relationship with Jane that has lasted years. This can't be knew behavior for her. Most people would have phased her out of the friendship circle along time ago being a judgemental asn self absorbed as she is.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, retrograde said:

Also, different desks don't make you think differently. Jacqueline is being mean. 

I disagree. Jane's new desk was on the perimeter of the desks instead of in the middle of things. It's not as if she were on a different floor or even a different part of the office. Gah. Suck it up, princess. (I felt her on her chair not working, though. That's a legit gripe.)

10 hours ago, retrograde said:

I also wish they hadn't made it about Sutton's mom's drinking and just let her be a person who enjoys skeet shooting because it's something she grew up doing.  

It could have been both—she started shooting because it gave her control over something, and she loved it because she grew up doing it and was good at it.

• Love 7

This episode frustrated me on so many levels!!!! I hate that Jane got her way. She had a life lesson learned (kinda) and yet still got her way. Never once was it said that it is ok to have different view points. And I think it really could have been a better advocate that most on the left don't just want to take everyone's guns away. And I hate that they dulled the story by adding the mom issues. I don't like guns and I definitely would be a bit weirded out if a roommate had a gun. But in Sutton's case she was extremely reasonable, had it locked, and didn't even have ammunition in the house. It is literally a hunk of metal in a crazy locked case. And really there was no reason for Jane to be such a pain about the "clarinet" and harassing Sutton at the start. How about respecting your bff if she doesn't want to talk about something!

Jane has always been a bit obnoxious but I don't recall hating her in season 1 like I do now! And why does she need a man to always talk her down?!?! UGH! 

And seriously - get over the desk thing. What a petty little thing to get all caught up in. I would assume in two months that likely someone moved to that desk!

• Love 9
(edited)
11 hours ago, GaT said:

That would be me. Once again, it's the Kat & Adena show, & I thought the whole thing was stupid. Is Kat even gay? She was straight until Adena, I don't think that necessarily makes her gay, she could still be straight but fell in love with someone who just happened to be the same sex, or she could be bisexual. Having Adena tell her to go "exploring" just seems to be ridiculous to me.

By the time Kat was awkwardly trying to "dominate" I had to FF the scene. In last week's thread, I mentioned that I thought Adena would suggest an open relationship. I'm bored with it. I would like to see Kat the big "department head" actually doing some WORK at work instead of Tindering and screaming with her friends. This character is all over the place.  I can envision FFing all of Kat's scenes going forward, or at least the ones Jane and Sutton aren't in.

I was surprised to learn the girls are around 28-29. I would have thought more like 25.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 5

Why do i get the feeling that next week Jane will have  pregnancy scare and we'll find out Ben is against abortion because he believes in God. Then the rest of the episode will be about what decision should Jane make even though she hasn't even taken a pregnancy test yet. (But why let that stop days of angst and sucking the air out of every room?)

• Love 11

Jane is so annoying. How can she be a good reporter if she's not willing to listen and consider different viewpoints? And does she have a trauma tied to everything? I find it hard to believe that he best friends didn't know she grew up in or near Columbine. That was a stretch. 

• Love 10

Two weeks from now on "The Bold Type"... Jane has a personal connection to her story as to why she's a dog person... Watch as she recounts the harrowing tale of how Her grandmother's caretaker's best friend's neice was once scratched by a cat... And how that trauma molded young Jane into the fierce anti-cat activist she is today...  Also Kat has relationship stuff... And Alex gets a scene( well we see him typing in the background)... Oliver says something fierce and fabulous....Sutton & Jaqueline remain awesome. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

Don't forget there will be drama because of the whole BRCA1 gene she has.  "Do i want to being a child into this world I might not be a part of.  I might die and then were will my little angel be.  She would be miserable and alone like me, waaaaawaaawaaa"

On a note about this one, I had a friend murdered by her ex the last month of highschool, I lived near Columbine when it happened, grew up in San Diego where we have had at least 4 massive shootings that I can recall just off the top of my head.  I am very pro gun control (similar views to Sutton), and even I thought Jane's reaction was way over the top.  Sutton is the type of gun owner I want everyone to be, responsible and safe.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Oliver says something fierce and fabulous

We need much more Oliver, IMO.

1 minute ago, Aliconehead said:

Sutton is the type of gun owner I want everyone to be, responsible and safe.

It was beyond aggravating (and, frankly, really dumb) that Jane couldn't even acknowledge this much.

• Love 8

It’s like the writers want us to hate Jane. The breast cancer issue? That was plausible-although publicly screaming at your boss wouldn’t be tolerated irl but anyway. Her religion issues? Fine, I can accept that. But being triggered by guns because of a mass shooting that happened near your home during 1st grade? If that was coming from any other character it wouldn’t be as outrageous but god, she has a sob story for everything.

Why isn’t Kat ever doing any kind of work? Out of the three she should be the most inspiring professional and yet it feels like she just got a job thanks to her parents and that’s it.

Sutton is always the best and most realistic character. I sure hope she gets some recognition as she’s the only one busting her ass. And Jane just seems to be uber successful even though she needs her editor to tell her that as a reporter she needs to do more than just saying her opinion is always correct because #reasons.

• Love 8

I don't know. If I had a boss like Jacqueline, I'd probably do very little work, too. Does she ever get upset? Is there ever a crisis? Does she ever have to put an employee in their place? She's like the polar opposite of Amanda Priestly.  I know Joanna Coles was an EIC of a magazine and is now a producer of the show and Jacqueline is based on her, but come on. I've always felt Jacqueline was too perfect. Her character needs more layers.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Why isn’t Kat ever doing any kind of work?

I think hers is the hardest to show. It's not as if she tracks down leads or has to spend hours on the phone begging for a purse. We do see her finishing a tweet or talking about some Instagram story on a regular basis. It would be nice to see her talk to Sutton and Jane about their upcoming projects so she can plan the social media side, but the women don't really talk about work in that way in the first place.

Kat had her big work story with the Angie thing a few weeks ago. And speaking of, where is Angie? It'd be nice to have a scene where Kat tells her she's doing a good job or whatever after all of that angst to get her hired.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think hers is the hardest to show. It's not as if she tracks down leads or has to spend hours on the phone begging for a purse. We do see her finishing a tweet or talking about some Instagram story on a regular basis. It would be nice to see her talk to Sutton and Jane about their upcoming projects so she can plan the social media side, but the women don't really talk about work in that way in the first place.

Kat had her big work story with the Angie thing a few weeks ago. And speaking of, where is Angie? It'd be nice to have a scene where Kat tells her she's doing a good job or whatever after all of that angst to get her hired.

That’s what I mean. I want to see her manage her people (or person), working an event or anything really. Last season her work storylines proved that she’s not mature enough to think of the business and lead a department, so I want to see her thriving this season.

Plus, what bothers me with Kadena drama is that 1.it’s constant 2.they’ve erased Kat’s bisexuality. Last season she was struggling with her feelings and this season she’s a lesbian sex goddess who wants to sleep with more women for the experience? How did she go from “i can’t get past ‘this’” to getting all the ladies? 

(edited)
30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Supposedly Scarlet is ramping up digital, which is why Kat was made a department head with a staff to hire and manage. Her job isn't merely to tweet, etc. but to run Scarlet's digital presence. By the looks of it, she doesn't have enough to do, which makes me wonder why there needs to be an actual department. I would be way more interested in that than her weekly existential crisis.

Edited by Jillybean
5 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I was surprised to learn the girls are around 28-29. I would have thought more like 25.

I think they are supposed to be 26. They have been working at Scarlett 4 years and it seems to be their first job out of college. Sutton even said she was turning 26 last season.  Plus, Jane said she was in 1st grade when Columbine happened. I was in 12th and am about to turn 37. So she would be 26ish.

I did see Sutton had a yearbook referencing 2007, but it could have been from her freshman/sophomore year.

9 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

I thought Jane wants to be this hard hitting journalist but it seems to me alot of what she writes is just her opinion with a sprinkle of factual information. My friend owns a gun and how I mind fucked her to get rid of it.

She did that with the menstrual cup lady too. She had info about the company doing something shady and her headline (before the editor changed it) was "Me, Emma Whats-her-face and the Messy Truth." Then she did a piece about her views on religion too. Stories like that are fine, especially if she likes women's magazines, but it is not hard-hitting news.

I actually think her original pitch to Jacklyn could have been an interesting story about not just guns, but managing friendships when you have vastly different political views about something. It's a really relevant topic these days.

• Love 5
(edited)

Christ, does Jane have some kind of childhood trauma about every freaking thing she acts like an insufferable jerk about? Its retroactively amazing that they didnt add in some story about how she was whining about not being hired because of diversity because her mom was in line for some kind of clinical trail to fight her cancer and a black person was in line in front of her or some shit. The last three episodes all seem to have the theme of "Jane is totally insufferable to everyone in her entire life." I dont even disagree with her points, but I was Team Sutton the whole way through. Jane was just the most obnoxious, self ritious, condescending, judgmental asshole the whole episode, and she has been like that throughout quite a bit of the season, and she still got her way! It seemed like she really learned a lesson about seeing the nuance in political issues, but then it turns out "oh, Sutton isnt really a gun lover, she just has a sad backstory!" and Jane manipulates her best friend into getting rid of her gun, and ending her hobby that she clearly enjoyed. Just because Jane cant freaking function without having a meltdown over her millions of random traumas (including making freaking Columbine all about her!) and always gets her way. It would have been a million times better if Sutton just liked to Skeet Shoot, and got to keep Betsy, and she and Jane learn about being honest with each other and accepting each other. This is the woman who wants to be a hard hitting reporter? I consider myself a pretty damn liberal type of person, but I was on Sutton's side the whole time. She made lots of good points, and is clearly a responsible gun owner. But, no, its all about Jane and her eternally quivering lip. 

The part that especially pissed me off was when Sutton was talking about she was in trouble at work because she blew off the scenster girl to support Jane...while Jane is like "What did you feel about all those mass shootings?" Like, what the fuck do you think she felt, Jane? "I heard about them and was THRILLED about the deaths of innocents! I cackled evilliy hearing the news, while polishing my guns!" What an awful question to ask her best friend, especially as Sutton is struggling with work because she supported Jane at her award thing! Its not a good sign that this is the second week in a row that one of Jane's best friends had to leave the room in a huff because she was so pissed at how awful Jane is. 

I hope Sutton gets a promotion or some kind of win soon. I've really loved her this season, and she seems to be the one of the main girls really working her ass off, but also has gotten the least amount of work success. 

I am over Kate and Adena drama, and wish they would have one freaking episode without drama, but I do at least think its a more interesting plot, especially as it seems like Adena is doing this for Kat, not because she wants an open relationship. I also liked watching Kat desperately trying to keep the peace between her besties all week long. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Plus, what bothers me with Kadena drama is that 1.it’s constant 2.they’ve erased Kat’s bisexuality. Last season she was struggling with her feelings and this season she’s a lesbian sex goddess who wants to sleep with more women for the experience? How did she go from “i can’t get past ‘this’” to getting all the ladies? 

I don't think they've erased her bisexuality (assuming she is, she might not be, but I'm assuming that's what she is), she's exploring it. Like you said, last season she felt like she could get past "this" and now that she has, she's discovered she actually likes it and women. She's already had her experience with men, she knows that side of herself, but the women side is brand new to her, outside of just Adena. So she wants to explore.

That being said, they've handle it all horribly. They honestly could've had this entire issue started in the episode where she was upset about how many women Adena had been with, while being totally new to the New York lesbians scene. Or at least introduced it then and had Adena realize, talk to her, and have them agree to take a break while Kat explores herself. But instead there needed to be sex dreams, and cheating and now an open relationships.

• Love 4
(edited)

Ahhh! I FINALLY figured out from where I'd seen the actress that plays Brooke before. She's on a Match.com commercial. She's the woman who likes to travel and likes "nice guys." ( Come find meeee!)

Jane is literally every navel gazing first person essay writer I know. They manage to make every single tragedy about them.

It Happened To Me: The Same Thing That Happened to You But, Like, Much Worse by Jane Sloane.

Edited by sashayshante
  • Love 9
On 7/18/2018 at 12:45 PM, UNOSEZ said:

Two weeks from now on "The Bold Type"... Jane has a personal connection to her story as to why she's a dog person... Watch as she recounts the harrowing tale of how Her grandmother's caretaker's best friend's neice was once scratched by a cat... And how that trauma molded young Jane into the fierce anti-cat activist she is today...  

...And then Jane gets her way.  

There fixed it for you!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/17/2018 at 9:11 PM, sashayshante said:

I really wish they hadn't tied Sutton's love of skeet shooting to her alcoholic mom and just let it be that she enjoyed the sport. 

Exactly! I hate guns and I'm on Jane's side but she was so obnoxious. Having Jane pull a last-minute hail Mary to link Sutton's gun to a psychological control issue or emotional overcompensation was cheap and yet another case of the storyline needlessly cowing to Jane's moral superiority complex.

It's good to see Kat/Adena in a healthy open relationship, but I'm sure jealousy will happen sooner or later because the writers only know how to write their relationship in constant conflict.

Jane's pregnancy scare plot next week feels pointless because there's zero chance she'll actually be pregnant. Yet another "Jane learns life lessons by observing those with real struggles" arc. Jane is inspired by/feels bad for young moms, is frightened by the possibility she might be pregnant but isn't, and moves on with a cool article unaffected.

Ahhh! I FINALLY figured out from where I'd seen the actress that plays Brooke before. She's on a Match.com commercial. She's the woman who likes to travel and likes "nice guys." ( Come find meeee!)

@sashayshante omg you're right! She's so hot, I wish she were into ladies too. ;)

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Jane's pregnancy scare plot

It's not a pregnancy scare. She said in the preview she wasn't pregnant.

The big issue is her BRCA gene—she's doesn't want to pass it on to any daughters.

• Love 1

Good observation in last week's episode thread, @SnarkEnthusiast, when you said Sutton was giving off bi vibes. Looks like that was intentional, as she told the others this week that she's considered it! I don't know if anything will ever come of that, but it's a nice little character note.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Good observation in last week's episode thread, @SnarkEnthusiast, when you said Sutton was giving off bi vibes. Looks like that was intentional, as she told the others this week that she's considered it! I don't know if anything will ever come of that, but it's a nice little character note.

As long as it's not leading to a Kat/Sutton hookup lol. That would be disastrous! Although I would enjoy Jane losing her shit over it.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

"Why aren't you attracted to meeeeeeee?!" "Wait, you're attracted to me? I'm straight!"

"This is actually the third time I had a bi-racial bisexual friend... The first two fell in love with me but died in a fire... I can't go thru that pain again... So we'll just have to be friends Kat"

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

"Why aren't you attracted to meeeeeeee?!" "Wait, you're attracted to me? I'm straight!"

lmao you joke but multiple straight friends have done this to me. They flirt with you just enough to make you think it's a possibility until they get a boyfriend or just flat out pretend it never happened. They just want the ego boost of knowing you want them. ??

1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

"This is actually the third time I had a bi-racial bisexual friend... The first two fell in love with me but died in a fire... I can't go thru that pain again... So we'll just have to be friends Kat"

"When I was eleven, a girl called my cousin gay and tripped her. I was 200 miles away at the time, but I could telepathically taste her tears and I just knew. I knew I could never wear flannel again because I was afraid people would think I was a lesbian. I mean, I'm straight but that's not the point. I went home, chopped my favorite flannel shirt into pieces and burned them. I was never the same because I felt like I couldn't be myself. So you know what Kat? You don't know what I've been through. Fuck you for making me relive the trauma that heteropatriarchy has caused me."

"Oh, you're not into me and never have been? Is it because I'm white? That's reverse racism."

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

1 hour ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

"When I was eleven, a girl called my cousin gay and tripped her. I was 200 miles away at the time, but I could telepathically taste her tears and I just knew. I knew I could never wear flannel again because I was afraid people would think I was a lesbian. I mean, I'm straight but that's not the point. I went home, chopped my favorite flannel shirt into pieces and burned them. I was never the same because I felt like I couldn't be myself. So you know what Kat? You don't know what I've been through. Fuck you for making me relive the trauma that heteropatriarchy has caused me."

"Oh, you're not into me and never have been? Is it because I'm white? That's reverse racism."

Jane will then proceed to write an article about all this and win an award.

• Love 2
(edited)
On July 18, 2018 at 6:49 PM, KaveDweller said:

I did see Sutton had a yearbook referencing 2007, but it could have been from her freshman/sophomore year.

Jane is 26 (7 years old likely in spring 1999). The pages they were looking at in Sutton's book clearly said Class of 2007. So Sutton is 29 (18 likely in spring 2007). Only mentioning because I am the kind of person who is stupidly preoccupied with character details like this.

I am a gun-control progressive, and yet I was also on Sutton's side by the time she was defending herself at the gun range. I went to college in central PA (yes, very accurate: P-A!) and knew many people whose families owned guns responsibly for hunting and had absolutely no connection to shootings in any way. I wish Sutton's mom would not have factored into this and Sutton had just had the view that many of my friends had grown up with.

Somehow, this show has the amazing ability to position me on the opposite side of whatever issue of the week they're trying to side with. Gun control? Check. No holds barred body positivity? Check. Affirmative action? Check. I don't mean to say at all that I am opposed to where the show landed on any of those issues at all. But this show is starting to have a bad habit of presenting both sides of a really great, complex issue, only to have the character on the "other" (bad) side have to apologize to the show's "winning" character by the end - when usually, both sides have a valid point and the episode should be left more open ended. I was kind of appalled that Sutton destroyed her gun at the end and annoyed that the show made it all about her psychological issues rather than the simple fact that she liked to shoot and had grown up in a culture where that was normal.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 4

@Moxie Cat just for clarification what were the issues you had with hiw the affirmative action and body positivity segments landed... Not trying to stir up anything.. Legit wanna know  also.. How old is kat??..  I imagined all of them a Tad younger like 25 or 26

10 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

As long as it's not leading to a Kat/Sutton hookup lol. That would be disastrous! Although I would enjoy Jane losing her shit over it.

When I posted last night, I was gonna say that I don't actually want Kat and Sutton to hook up, but can you even imagine the article Jane would write if they did? "My two best friends hooked up with each other and I'm not sexually attracted to either of them but I feel so left out!" would be the gist of it, I think.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

When I posted last night, I was gonna say that I don't actually want Kat and Sutton to hook up, but can you even imagine the article Jane would write if they did? "My two best friends hooked up with each other and I'm not sexually attracted to either of them but I feel so left out!" would be the gist of it, I think.

"Gay for a Day: Trying (and Failing) to Be in a Polyamorous Triad with My BFFs and Learning to Love My Heterosexual Self"

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

@Moxie Cat just for clarification what were the issues you had with hiw the affirmative action and body positivity segments landed...

Oy, yes, I don't want to stir up anything either....really, my main problem is the apologizing. I don't disagree whatsoever with Kat or that other magazine wanting to be more inclusive. But that Jane had to apologize to her friend for losing out on an awesome job just because she was upset that she lost it for reasons out of her control? (Which yes, is the point of affirmative action, I get that....) to the extent that she covered a job shift AND bought her wine? I just think that when Jane found out she lost the job, Kat just could have just been a friend and said, wow, that sucks - and left it at that. And the issue of Jane living paycheck to paycheck while Kat isn't as part of the issue was kind of glossed over - although the comparison was more between Jane and Scarlet's new hire - which wasn't really brought up - it could have been more of a point that Jane had advantages because of her degree, which arguably easier for her to earn, and that this girl had worked her butt off with experience but still couldn't get hired by Scarlet. IDK...during that episode, I couldn't help but think of my cousins, who are white and rural and never had the opportunity to go to college, and they are fond of posting photos of second-hand clothes and worn shoes on Facebook with the caption "what white privilege?" But to be clear, let me state unequivocally that I am not against affirmative action - I just think the issue got muddled in the episode, just like how the gun storyline got muddled by Sutton's issues.

And likewise, in this episode, why did Sutton's apology have to be so extensive that it involved destroying her gun and bringing Jane gun flowers? Wouldn't it have been sufficient to just say, "I tried to make you understand, but I get that it scares you and I'm sorry I didn't understand that before...I'll store the gun in a locker somewhere." Again, I wish Sutton's issues hadn't come up and she had ended the episode still being OK with her status as a gun owner, but understanding that her roommate wasn't. That would have been enough!

So yeah...it's mostly the apologies. I don't mind people learning and growing, but why such extensive apologizing for who you are?

Sigh, as far as body positivity....let's just say that I understand both sides of that issue, both measuring oneself to beauty mags AND knowing girls who are morbidly obese and totally proud of that fact. Neither is healthy, and I was disappointed that the new board member's view seemed to be completely rejected by the show. There is middle ground here, IMO.

Again, don't want to stir anything up, especially from earlier episodes, and I am hesitant to even post any of these opinions. Sometimes I think the problem is just the I am not the Bold Type's target audience. But I appreciate when the show shows two sides to the good issues they tackle - they just should leave things more open ended. I will say, kudos to them for making a gun control advocate side with the girl with the gun!

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

. I will say, kudos to them for making a gun control advocate side with the girl with the gun!

Same here... Jane was obnoxious.. But more than that.. Her reasoning seemed so far off... If maybe she had been around an act of gun violence... Or had a more personal connection... Than maybe her strong reaction and obstinate position would've at least been understandable.. But it wasnt and to have Sutton melt it down in the last 4 mins because of some mommy issues did leave a sour taste in my mouth... As for the AA/Diversity debate when I watched it.  I felt Kat.. I've been in Kat's shoes damn near verbatim with white friends and even a fam member or two because Jane assumed ( as is the case a lot of the time with this subject)  that the POC who will get hired isn't as talented as the white person who didn't get the job.. And that level of( call it arrogance or privilege)  is always infuriating.. And to top it off she followed that up with the mother of them all... Why are you treating me like a racist,..  Which just obliterates any chance at a fruitful exchange once that's been dropped... Kat held it together much better than I would've... I woulda been raging.. And I think that level of anger that Kat had and to her credit jane realized she had caused after she cooled off a bit is why she knew she needed to apologize... IMHO

• Love 2
9 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Jane assumed ( as is the case a lot of the time with this subject)  that the POC who will get hired isn't as talented as the white person who didn't get the job.. And that level of( call it arrogance or privilege)  is always infuriating.. And to top it off she followed that up with the mother of them all... Why are you treating me like a racist,..  Which just obliterates any chance at a fruitful exchange once that's been dropped

Oh, absolutely - and I think, didn't Pinstripe have a line about how you're assuming YOU were the best qualified, and that the person who got the job wasn't, and that may not be the case at all. I guess I didn't blame Jane for being hurt and disappointed after getting that phone call - she reacted the way a lot of us would (especially after some drinks!) and being upset in that moment in a very human way didn't mean she didn't support diversity so I thought that was overblown. But you're right - her comeback was then quite unproductive. Thanks for sharing your views.